Bus service for night matches

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Bus service for night matches

Post by mikeS » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Came off the game and no buses other than the X43 seen in the image. How can we get a better Bus service for fans after night matches ?
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/FYTeDcC

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Bus service for night matches

Post by tim_noone » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:11 pm

mikeS wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm
Came off the game and no buses other than the X43 seen in the image. How can we get a better Bus service for fans after night matches ?
Wait till the Northern Powerhouse kicks in.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm

I couldnt believe the last bus to Manchester left Burnley at 10pm
I was looking to catch the bus to Manchester Road after the nightmatch only to be told the last one had gone
This is a very poor service especially for our fans travelling to Rossendale and the service needs a later bus

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Been raised several times, including my complaint that people travelling to Manchester should get priority when other buses are still running up manchester road after 3pm KO's.

Burnley and Pendle simply do not give a shiney shite.

I strongly suspect they will not put on a later service for post evening games as this would mean the return service arriving back some time after midnight, obliging B&P for some kind of additional payout.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 pm

mikeS wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm
Same with the trains, had to leave in 75th minute to make the last train, and that is only due to it being a Saturday, midweek night games I cannot attend.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm

claretburns wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 pm
Same with the trains, had to leave in 75th minute to make the last train, and that is only due to it being a Saturday, midweek night games I cannot attend.
The last train to Manchester is normally about 23:40. I’ve caught it loads.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:06 pm
The last train to Manchester is normally about 23:40. I’ve caught it loads.
Sorry, my fault, should have been more specific, I head towards Leeds to get home, not the Manchester route but same issue with lack of public transport.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 pm

claretburns wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 pm
I don't understand that, unless you had to be at another station to make a connection. Last trains to Man, Preston and Leeds all have departures beyond 10.30pm both midweek and Saturdays. Preston and Manchester both after 11pm.

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm
I couldnt believe the last bus to Manchester left Burnley at 10pm
I was looking to catch the bus to Manchester Road after the nightmatch only to be told the last one had gone
This is a very poor service especially for our fans travelling to Rossendale and the service needs a later bus
You think that's bad... from next week Accrington will have the sum total of 0 services per hour/ day/ week/ month/ year to Manchester. The X41 has been cancelled in full.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:35 pm
You think that's bad... from next week Accrington will have the sum total of 0 services per hour/ day/ week/ month/ year to Manchester. The X41 has been cancelled in full.
Whilst that is true and it's never good to hear of a service ending, there is the good option of taking the 464 to Rawtenstall and then picking up the X43 which is fast to Manchester and runs every 15 minutes, which is far more frequent and faster than the X41. (And you can do it all on one ticket). So compared to many parts of the county where there are scarcely any bus services it hardly leaves Accrington cut off.
I think there's also the National Express several times a day.
[As I understand it, one of the reasons for the demise of the X41 is that a lot of travellers had already elected to use the 464 / X43 option, so passenger numbers on the X41 had declined significantly]

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm
Whilst that is true and it's never good to hear of a service ending, there is the good option of taking the 464 to Rawtenstall and then picking up the X43 which is fast to Manchester and runs every 15 minutes, which is far more frequent and faster than the X41. (And you can do it all on one ticket). So compared to many parts of the county where there are scarcely any bus services it hardly leaves Accrington cut off.
I think there's also the National Express several times a day.
[As I understand it, one of the reasons for the demise of the X41 is that a lot of travellers had already elected to use the 464 / X43 option, so passenger numbers on the X41 had declined significantly]
I'm not aware of anyone from accy using 464 then x43. Why would they? And I dont agree that it is "a good option" especially for commuters as the x43 is usually full by the time it arrives in Rocky. Its loads of messing about and takes longer.
As I understand it, its It's being scrapped because it loses money, and there is less Council subsidy available to keep it running...and passenger numbers have fallen since is was re-routed through Rammy adding 20 mins to the journey.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by claretgimmer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm

The X43 puts an extra bus on Saturday tea time as far as Rawtenstall but the last bus midweek is 9.45 which means leaving early, with the late kick offs on the Manchester games I asked them if there would be an extra bus as far as Rawtenstall but they said they wouldn't be providing the extra bus. Obviously don't need the custom.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 pm

The Bus is terrible transport....round Lancashire.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:52 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm
I'm not aware of anyone from accy using 464 then x43. Why would they? And I dont agree that it is "a good option" especially for commuters as the x43 is usually full by the time it arrives in Rocky. Its loads of messing about and takes longer.
As I understand it, its It's being scrapped because it loses money, and there is less Council subsidy available to keep it running...and passenger numbers have fallen since is was re-routed through Rammy adding 20 mins to the journey.
2 small points - and just to stress that I don't think it's good that the service is stopped, but as I pointed out, many places in the County are now far worse off than Accrington will be. (
Of course it's been losing money £300, 000 this year I believe, and that's not sustainable.
According to the article I read they have previously laid on more 464s because of the demand to get to the X43
And with the 20 minutes "diversion" via Rammy, it should generally be quicker to change at Rawt. and go on the speedy non-stop X43.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:34 am

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:13 pm
The Bus is terrible transport....round Lancashire.
:lol: You want to try living in out in the sticks here in Ireland .
Everytime we are in the UK we always talk about how fantastic transport is in the UK .

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:49 am

Im bloody spoilt here, make no bones about it. Public transport 24/7, and for around 30p a day
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:36 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:52 pm
2 small points - and just to stress that I don't think it's good that the service is stopped, but as I pointed out, many places in the County are now far worse off than Accrington will be. (
Of course it's been losing money £300, 000 this year I believe, and that's not sustainable.
According to the article I read they have previously laid on more 464s because of the demand to get to the X43
And with the 20 minutes "diversion" via Rammy, it should generally be quicker to change at Rawt. and go on the speedy non-stop X43.
In the cold weather especially being a OAP you are less concerned about quicker travelling times & the preferred warmer option is to catch 1 bus to the destination rather than a cold changeover. Time isn't a issue lack of comfort is.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:36 am
In the cold weather especially being a OAP you are less concerned about quicker travelling times & the preferred warmer option is to catch 1 bus to the destination rather than a cold changeover. Time isn't a issue lack of comfort is.
Well that's certainly true, but it's commuters who are most affected, (using the bus daily, as opposed to occasionally), and pensioners could always travel on the far more comfortable National Express service which runs a couple of times every morning.
Additionally the 464 / X43 runs every 15 minutes, so your waiting time for one bus or the other is most likely going to be less than waiting for an hourly service that then takes almost 90 minutes. (On average the X43 is 50 minutes from Rawtenstall)
[There's absolutely no way they could justify losing £300,000 / year on a service that relies on OAPs, - of which I am one incidentally].

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 pm
Well that's certainly true, but it's commuters who are most affected, (using the bus daily, as opposed to occasionally), and pensioners could always travel on the far more comfortable National Express service which runs a couple of times every morning.
Additionally the 464 / X43 runs every 15 minutes, so your waiting time for one bus or the other is most likely going to be less than waiting for an hourly service that then takes almost 90 minutes. (On average the X43 is 50 minutes from Rawtenstall)
[There's absolutely no way they could justify losing £300,000 / year on a service that relies on OAPs, - of which I am one incidentally].
Ironically that could well be the case if the bus services become restricted & limited, even if transport ends up costing more, the OAPs will simply turn to taxi's & skimp in other ways.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:25 pm

Many taxi firms run 24 hours a day.

Share taxis/lifts/walks with friends

Or drive yourself

Or bike

A bus is possibly the worst of all options available, and if you HAVE to use the bus or you cant attend, I'd not attend. Get the radio/TV on

I cant see any reason anyone would have to use the bus and are totally reliant on it to get to or from the match.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:38 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 pm
As you seem very knowledgeable on all things buses, I thought you may know how many buses and the journey time to get to Manchester from Helmshore using National Express. At off peak,the journey time was often around 35mins (before the Ramsbottom detour) using the X41.For a long time now many people, who I know, would have been prepared to pay,even though they had a bus pass and also were prepared to catch the bus in Haslingden (previously the X40 route) but they were never asked.This is just going to put even more cars on the road, perhaps we need to contact Sir David Attenborough, Greta Thunberg or maybe even Swampy might lend a hand.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Helmshore Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:38 pm
As you seem very knowledgeable on all things buses, I thought you may know how many buses and the journey time to get to Manchester from Helmshore using National Express. At off peak,the journey time was often around 35mins (before the Ramsbottom detour) using the X41.For a long time now many people, who I know, would have been prepared to pay,even though they had a bus pass and also were prepared to catch the bus in Haslingden (previously the X40 route) but they were never asked.This is just going to put even more cars on the road, perhaps we need to contact Sir David Attenborough, Greta Thunberg or maybe even Swampy might lend a hand.
Don't know much about Helmshore tbh , since we were discussing Accrington commuters. I wasn't aware that you could get to Manchester direct by National Express. I would assume - without research that the best way to get to Manchester from Helmshore is to get the bus to Bury interchange. From there it's fast into the city. However I am aware that there have been a lot of cuts to local routes to the Rossendale villages, so I'm not sure whether that's still an option.
Your post does - sort of - support the point I was trying to make: that getting to Manchester from Accrington isn't a major problem, (despite the axing of the X41). It's other more rural places - such as Helmshore - that are losing essential services right, left and centre.
Your point about cars is valid.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:41 am

X41 used to run from Whalley . Was great for early/late back London trains. Another thing denied to our children but at least he’ll get that thing done

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:18 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Don't know much about Helmshore tbh , since we were discussing Accrington commuters. I wasn't aware that you could get to Manchester direct by National Express. I would assume - without research that the best way to get to Manchester from Helmshore is to get the bus to Bury interchange. From there it's fast into the city. However I am aware that there have been a lot of cuts to local routes to the Rossendale villages, so I'm not sure whether that's still an option.
Your post does - sort of - support the point I was trying to make: that getting to Manchester from Accrington isn't a major problem, (despite the axing of the X41). It's other more rural places - such as Helmshore - that are losing essential services right, left and centre.
Your point about cars is valid.
But that doesn't address in any shape or form, OAPs suffering unnecessary cold & potential illness, it's a crucial point I feel you are skirting by excusing with other transport options, the X41 service shutout could cause major problems for the elderly commuters set in their ways & not familiar with the other bus schedules. I realise you are not directly responsible for this again in any shape or form, just some sort of recognition the potential problems this may present for the vulnerable wouldn't go amiss.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

Still stood in Burnley waiting for a bus from last night. Guess its straight to the turf now

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:36 am
Would an OAP not have the option to use the train free of charge instead?

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 am

There did used to be a National Express from Burnley about 10:15pm, although the dog leg route meant you were lucky if you got to manc before midnight

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:53 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 am
Quite possibly, but that's little assistance if the train is going in the opposite direction from where you intend to travel to.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:54 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:18 am
. I realise you are not directly responsible for this again in any shape or form, just some sort of recognition the potential problems this may present for the vulnerable wouldn't go amiss.
As it's New Year's Day I'll be polite, but if you simply read my posts: in my very first sentence (responding to you) I said that your point was a good one. Anywhere, there you go - I've repeated it, and to add: I don't like us cuts anymore than anyone else, but we all have to have some perspective and awareness of the financial reality.
Happy New Year one an all!

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:01 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:54 am
As it's New Year's Day I'll be polite, but if you simply read my posts: in my very first sentence (responding to you) I said that your point was a good one. Anywhere, there you go - I've repeated it, and to add: I don't like us cuts anymore than anyone else, but we all have to have some perspective and awareness of the financial reality.
Happy New Year one an all!
Thanks & same to you, maybe I was little unkind, the priority for the elderly commuters isn't really about saving money or utilising other alternative methods of travel, it simply involves getting on a bus & getting from A to B & remaining in the warmth for the length of the journey & not hopping on buses to buses or checking timetables, that's the simple point I was trying to raise that's all, & I also acknowledged you wasn't responsible for the X41 becoming defunct.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 am
Bus stops are more “accessible” than train stops though. There may not be a train stop close to home

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:29 am

One might question the proclivity of OAP's to vote for Tories, with their record of cutting transport subsidies and whatnot.....

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 am
Bus stops are more “accessible” than train stops though. There may not be a train stop close to home
True, & also factor in a possible flight of steps or a ramp to get access onto the platform.

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Good news.. the X41 has had a reprieve... it will continue to run...