time for a buy out if we want to stay put.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

time for a buy out if we want to stay put.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:14 pm

been a great few seasons with sean dyche at the helm and the promotions, but we need a massive cash injection that can only be achieved with a take over if we are to compete properly. Football has moved on, and IF we want continued premier status, we're going to have to buy it.
As good as it is to see us occasionally put one over on the "big boys" in the division, we can't do it often enough. Nor can we buy players as our opponents do regularly.
even though its not been great for some clubs, its the only way to be certain of competing.
just look at the budgets our rivals have had to do battle with, staggering amounts of cash . we need to be able to match or outbid clubs, not just make do and mend, and then end up thinking its inevitable that we lose our own players if they show any promise.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Re: time for a buy out if we want to stay put.

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:21 pm

I await your bid

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:21 pm

We need to spend £100 million plus, like Villa and Fulham
These 3 users liked this post: CleggHall KateR ClaretMov

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm

There is no one to do this so please stop suggesting such a thing

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1274 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Very reasonable and understandable sentiments from the OP, but the reality is it's not going to happen. There have been two serious attempts and other tentative enquiries but all have been resisted by the current seven Board members.

Easy to understand their concerns and suspicions particularly when they observe similar moves at other Clubs. They've built a solid structure at the Turf over the last number of years and are clearly reluctant to jeopardise all the good work they have done. The fact is that all seven are Burnley fans through and through just like the rest of us and to hand everything over to an outside interest will be a very difficult thing to do.

So, unless the offer is exceptional and in the very best interests of the Club, then the OP is likely to remain disappointed and will have to remain satisfied in utilising the very significant Cash Reserves that are now in place in order to compete at the next level which probably involves securing a mid-table finish on a consistent basis. Absolutetly no reason why Mike, John and the other five can't oversee the next phase in our development.
These 5 users liked this post: Holtyclaret k90bfc Colburn_Claret Clarets4me Ashingtonclaret46

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:38 pm

As I have said to many of my friends and family, if we get investment/buyout from someone/something
who is not a Burnley fan then I will not want to be part of it and will stay away.

I will always be a fan of the Clarets but the thought of passing it over to a non Burnley owner fills me with dread.

In any event, it won't help us because the other money backed clubs would just up the game to a level once again beyond
our reach and we would be back to square one.

There is great pride in what we have achieved so far, but there will be no pride in buying success.
These 3 users liked this post: Greenmile Holtyclaret k90bfc

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Leicester are now second but they lose players - Maguire, Kante etc..

Whilst they spend more money then we do and have backer they also seem to have a knack of finding quality players. That's where I want us to progress.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Attracting investors is always problematic.
Remember Brendon Flood?
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 pm

would think everyone who is a fan believes we need to improve our recruiting, I'm also one of those that thinks our recruitment internationally is very poor, I will exclude Ireland from these for those that like to jump on comments.

I also am impressed by our recent training facilities upgrade/change and had hope it would help with younger potential first team players from that area, also feel McNeil was put in as a last resort and not expected to do what he has done. Obviously pace and some trickery is missing as a whole and would like to have young players coming through, they have to be the right ones but can't get it right every time. Loyalty is a wonderful thing and not to be denigrated but...……., getting the balance right is a very difficult job though.

I hope we don't go down the route of outside investment personally

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 pm

I can contribute 197 quid

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 pm
I can contribute 197 quid
Yes Vegas...let me have your sort code + bank account number! 8-)
This user liked this post: KateR

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5005 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm

These "investors" invariably want their money back at some time or want to stop losing money as per Sunderland and slash costs.
As much as we love the club we are not that attractive and its City clubs they want so we would have a second tier investor and he or she would be competing with serious money people plus 20000 plus thousand more paying spectators.
For me I am just enjoying the ride whilst it lasts and running a tight ship theres no reason why we cannot survive .

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:41 pm

claretblue wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:29 pm
Yes Vegas...let me have your sort code + bank account number! 8-)
you'll have to speak to my Nigerian bank manager, he handles all that side of things :D

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm
Attracting investors is always problematic.
Remember Brendon Flood?
He is still a director isn't he?
Not sure on his level of involvement but he is still at least involved in the club.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:52 pm

No thank you. We then become a rich mans plaything or a vehicle to milk cash from. I don't want us to be either. I have never known my club to be run by anything other than directors who are fans, not all were successful but you knew they had the interests of the club at heart.

May I quote the example of a club not a million miles from our own doorstep transitioning from ownership of a fan to ownership by fabulously wealthy outsiders. Call me a snob but I don't fancy playing third division football again....

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Even if we got outside investment,there's no guarantee that would neccesarily lead to success on the pitch,look at Bournemouth as an example,their backed by "dirty" Russian money and they''re hardly pulling up trees,there has been some good owners,Leicester is an obvious example,but there's also a lot of chancers out there,i'd tread carefully before taking the plunge,and that's clearly what the directors have to consider.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:03 pm

We will go down sooner or later. I'd rather do it as an honest, solvent and well-run club.
These 2 users liked this post: Funkydrummer IanMcL

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 pm

eventually all the teams in the PL will be owned by wealthy companies and every year 3 will still go down. We don't need it anyway, we just need a better recruitment strategy which includes the manager not being afraid to look outside the Championship
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm

This is a local club for local people :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL cockneyclaret

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Perhaps the daftest thread of the year. :roll:

Totally unbelievable.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1968 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:39 pm

No investor is going to throw hundreds of millions at Burnley. They would be better buying a lower league club for nowt who are better located geographically. Then build from there. We are pretty much as high as we can go imo.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Not for me, I’ve lost interest in the football but I’m stopping any negativity on here now, it’s daft when you really drill down into it, we aren’t doing to bad, I just don’t enjoy it as much as I used to.

We are run as well as a club of this size probably can be and selling up would be a huge gamble

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 pm

selling to outside investors would be crazy in my view from fan perspective. Dyche would have to go of course as they would want their own man .....they would bring in some foreign manager, diluting the ethos and USP of the club. We have to keep it in house. Of course, if Garlick and Banny want to cash in their chips, there is not a lot we can do about it.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm
Very reasonable and understandable sentiments from the OP, but the reality is it's not going to happen. There have been two serious attempts and other tentative enquiries but all have been resisted by the current seven Board members.

Easy to understand their concerns and suspicions particularly when they observe similar moves at other Clubs. They've built a solid structure at the Turf over the last number of years and are clearly reluctant to jeopardise all the good work they have done. The fact is that all seven are Burnley fans through and through just like the rest of us and to hand everything over to an outside interest will be a very difficult thing to do.

So, unless the offer is exceptional and in the very best interests of the Club, then the OP is likely to remain disappointed and will have to remain satisfied in utilising the very significant Cash Reserves that are now in place in order to compete at the next level which probably involves securing a mid-table finish on a consistent basis. Absolutetly no reason why Mike, John and the other five can't oversee the next phase in our development.
Spot on post Royboy. I wholeheartedly agree.

Out of interest, what are the next stages of our development?

On the pitch, it can only really be to remain in the division, with perhaps a caveat to ‘improve’ our style of play.

Off the pitch, I’m guessing commercially and redevelopment of the Turf?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:13 pm

What makes Burnley is the club and the town are one. Owned by locals supported by everyone. A stranger would remove that connection at a stroke.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:39 pm
No investor is going to throw hundreds of millions at Burnley. They would be better buying a lower league club for nowt who are better located geographically. Then build from there. We are pretty much as high as we can go imo.
You mean better located than:

A Premier League club
Less than an hour from three international airports
In the cheapest part of the country for 'real estate'
With plenty of big games for sell outs on our doorstep
In a catchment area to pick up Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton et als cast offs (see McNeil)

Along with

A proud history
A loyal fanbase
Zero debt

Marketed right we would be an investors dream.

And to those who say they wouldn't want it they are either lying or deluded. It would be fantastic for the club if we could attract someone to take Kilby, Garklick and John Bs good work to the next level.
These 2 users liked this post: Blackrod Danieljwaterhouse

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm

believe me, I am a dullard when it comes to these (and probably most other) topics, but if there is a plan of action, or a next phase, all well and good.
I would rather we remained strong, but with a local link too. But I can't see how we can compete or improve that much with a colossal wage bill and other costs even though we are guaranteed annual funds because of the league we are in.
Not clear about us being debt free, but nevertheless, not a lot of money left to make bids and attract top quality to the Turf.
I know fans hate the idea of change, more so in our case perhaps, but look where its heading anyway . Its all about sponsors, far eastern beers and sodding betting corporations. We simply aren't in a world of family butchers anymore.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Marketed right we would be an investors dream.
And when that investor has had enough, we will probably be a club that is over priced because he wants at least his money back. Turf Moor would probably be in the hands of an offshore company owned by one of his family.

It would end up being a supporters nightmare!!

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Some real small mindedness on here. Nobody wants the club ruined. Outside investment does not automatically mean this. We are an attractive proposition right now.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 pm

An outside investor would want a return on their investment- after buying out the current owners (for how much?) they would also need to invest another XX million. How much profit do we make and how much would new investors take?

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 pm
Some real small mindedness on here. Nobody wants the club ruined. Outside investment does not automatically mean this. We are an attractive proposition right now.
One man's " small mindedness " is another man's " understandable caution " ...
For every Leicester City, there's several Blackburn Rovers, Sunderland's, Morecambe's, Macclesfield's and Oldham's !

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:18 pm
And when that investor has had enough, we will probably be a club that is over priced because he wants at least his money back. Turf Moor would probably be in the hands of an offshore company owned by one of his family.

It would end up being a supporters nightmare!!
They will easily make their money back (if that's what they want) in way more ways than selling the club. The mega rich are very rarely stupid when it comes to money.

What will Abramovic or Mansour make when they want out at Chelsea and City?

Its about more than what they will get when they come to sell. Its about what they can make while they have it. And that's as much about ego and personal marketing as it is about all the millions they can make, exposure and perks they can enjoy as owner of a premier league football club.

No idea why everyone is so averse to it because there are far more success stories than not

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1274 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 pm
believe me, I am a dullard when it comes to these (and probably most other) topics, but if there is a plan of action, or a next phase, all well and good.
I would rather we remained strong, but with a local link too. But I can't see how we can compete or improve that much with a colossal wage bill and other costs even though we are guaranteed annual funds because of the league we are in.
Not clear about us being debt free, but nevertheless, not a lot of money left to make bids and attract top quality to the Turf.
I know fans hate the idea of change, more so in our case perhaps, but look where its heading anyway . Its all about sponsors, far eastern beers and sodding betting corporations. We simply aren't in a world of family butchers anymore.
Just to be clear then, we are completely debt-free (the only Premier League club to be in that position), also we are unique in having seven unpaid directors on our Board. That's what having Burnley fans as owners bring to our Club.

To be fair to cricketfieldclaret he makes a strong and compelling argument. Perhaps there is no right and wrong way and it certainly makes for an interesting debate. However, no matter how compelling the argument is to invite outside investment, first and foremost there has to be a willingness to sell the Club. I sense absolutely no inclination on the part of the Board to relinquish control to anyone and, in fairness, who can blame them. Very occasionally we hear that they are always open to an attractive offer, but I seriously doubt that's the case.

Another key point is that we are now in a financial position to make some serious moves in the transfer market, a situation that was previously unknown at the Club. In the last set of accounts to Jun'18 included was £34million Cash In Hand, a figure that will have grown significantly to Jun'19 and we have now received a further two stage payments of current season Broadcast income. All seems a far cry from having to be a selling club throughout our entire history from Bob Kelly and Tommy Lawton through Jimmy Mac and so many more since then.

Still there appears this reluctance to communicate with the fans and this is my only real gripe with the Board. Holding back release of the annual accounts until the last possible moment and the complete abolition of the Annual General Meeting. So unnecessary and does not sit well with the rank and file shareholders and fans.
These 3 users liked this post: Clarets4me Ashingtonclaret46 cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Another key point is that we are now in a financial position to make some serious moves in the transfer market, a situation that was previously unknown at the Club.
Great post. Always respect your input.

Be interested to see how this bit in particular pans out though. Who knows perhaps they may spring a surprise in January (or August) with an early, marquee statement of intent.

As much as I want us to be a bit less pragmatic in the transfer market, we still do need to be cautious. The fees ARE ridiculous in the main. And it would be just our luck to spend £35m on a world class midfielder, only for him to do his ACL in training.

As I keep banging the drum though. We do need to improve our style and be more open minded. And I would happily see that as a gradual thing - a couple of first team additions per window would be more than fine!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 pm
They will easily make their money back (if that's what they want) in way more ways than selling the club. The mega rich are very rarely stupid when it comes to money.

What will Abramovic or Mansour make when they want out at Chelsea and City?

Its about more than what they will get when they come to sell. Its about what they can make while they have it. And that's as much about ego and personal marketing as it is about all the millions they can make, exposure and perks they can enjoy as owner of a premier league football club.

No idea why everyone is so averse to it because there are far more success stories than not
Hi cfc, I'm not sure about Mansour/City - at a guess, I'd say that is for promotion of the (oil rich) country. Abramovic paid £100 million for Chelsea - and is quoted as asking £3 billion to sell - with another £1 billion required to build the stadium they need. (Jim Ratcliffe "passed" at that price).

Too many "billionaires" are owners of Championship and Div 1 clubs to make Burnley attractive for another wealthy football fan the confidence that there's money to be made by buying Burnley. How much "personal marketing and exposure" are Mike G and John B getting from their ownership?

If population of Burnley - and surrounding area - was perhaps 5 times higher, then maybe it would be a more attractive proposition.

Who knows, maybe Burnley voting conservative is the start of building the town (doesn't it need to be a city...?) and the football club can build on that success.

UTC

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 pm
Great post. Always respect your input.

Be interested to see how this bit in particular pans out though. Who knows perhaps they may spring a surprise in January (or August) with an early, marquee statement of intent.

As much as I want us to be a bit less pragmatic in the transfer market, we still do need to be cautious. The fees ARE ridiculous in the main. And it would be just our luck to spend £35m on a world class midfielder, only for him to do his ACL in training.

As I keep banging the drum though. We do need to improve our style and be more open minded. And I would happily see that as a gradual thing - a couple of first team additions per window would be more than fine!
agreed cricketfield, Royboy is a mine of info on such matters, and I too appreciate his knowledge.
I do however think it is somewhat naive to imagine our board are unlikely to be swayed at one time or another, in addition I would be genuinely shocked if the financial resources referred to above resulted in any significant transfer action at a time when we clearly need it to happen.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Sigh.... only 32 days until the end of the transfer window!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm
Hi cfc, I'm not sure about Mansour/City - at a guess, I'd say that is for p How much "personal marketing and exposure" are Mike G and John B getting from their ownership?
In fairness I doubt that's their motive though. They definitely underplay the club never mind themselves.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 471 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 pm

I think that the OP's thoughts are more significant than some of you give credit. If you really think we can eventually be relegated and just get promotion again, or establish ourselves as a senior championship club for the long term, then lets carry on as we are. But I don't think it will happen. This is not 2009-10 or 2014-15. I worry that the world, and the scale and objectives of global media mean we cannot go back, however comforting the idea.

So, reluctantly I would welcome serious investment by a carefully selected new investor as the least risky option. Several of our current board members, though sincere and genuine fans, are financial small fry, have limited understanding of today's, let alone tomorrow's world, and have no value to add.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:46 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Totally unbelievable.
Day to go, no need for these premature silly claims :D
This user liked this post: Chester Perry

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm

COBBLE wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 pm
I think that the OP's thoughts are more significant than some of you give credit. If you really think we can eventually be relegated and just get promotion again, or establish ourselves as a senior championship club for the long term, then lets carry on as we are. But I don't think it will happen. This is not 2009-10 or 2014-15. I worry that the world, and the scale and objectives of global media mean we cannot go back, however comforting the idea.

So, reluctantly I would welcome serious investment by a carefully selected new investor as the least risky option. Several of our current board members, though sincere and genuine fans, are financial small fry, have limited understanding of today's, let alone tomorrow's world, and have no value to add.
And how are you going to carefully select the investor?

Assuming that people who are in it for profit are ruled out, then you're looking at people with at least £2 billion so they can throw £1 billion at the club over the next 10 years, who don't mind Burnley being in the north, don't mind risking relegation, and don't want the "big club" excitement of the Championship or lower. For example, an investor with that sort of attitude is more likely to buy Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, even Millwall - a club with a lot more crowd potential.

(Because I don't buy any suggestion that Manchester is part of our catchment area. Not in any significant way. Burnley fans around the country are people with Burnley connections, by and large.)

There are about 800 people worldwide with net worth over £2 billion, and many of those don't have that much in disposable wealth. 21 of them, according to Wikipedia, have UK connections, and many of those like the Barclay Brothers, Richard Branson, James Dyson, Philip Green, and Mike Ashley are non-starters for various reasons.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Totally unbelievable.
what? you need to read a few more then .
I put it up as a Burnley fan, I think its valid. but you are the only one willing to to highlight its worthlessness.
thanks for the insightful contribution.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:03 am

COBBLE wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 pm

You may be correct about the current market and it's challenges, COBBLE. It's possible that Burnley are a high street department chain - when all the big money is in on-line retail - or Thomas Cook, when everyone is putting their own packages together on-line (or choosing not to fly a la Greta).

But, there's a thought, can we "market" Burnley as being Manchester's third Premier League team? (Well London has 6, if we count Watford as London).

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 pm
An outside investor would want a return on their investment- after buying out the current owners (for how much?) they would also need to invest another XX million. How much profit do we make and how much would new investors take?
Not necessarily. Like most other investors in the league they would probably be happy just using BFC as a money laundering operation.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 am

What about a large investment that doesn't devalue the shares that already exist?

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 am

I don't think we need outside investment as we aren't a big enough side to be pushing top half every year, it will always be a battle even with stacks of cash (as other teams have found).

I do however think we need to spend the transfer funds that have not been spent in the last two years to strengthen. Hopefully these funds are still in the dry powder store and ready to go.

Our chairman said we made club record bids last summer for players, imagine the positivity if we sign two young, £20m+ players in January that immediately strengthen the first team. Everyone would have a completely different outlook.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:12 am

Are we really that attractive a club to investors? Our ground is at capacity, but not overcapacity. so would require massive investment for any matchday return. Our the investor could, or more likely would increase ticket prices, I can see that going down well... not. He would then probably decide the cricket field & Bob Lord stands require upgrading. Or more likely with that being 50% of the ground, would probably decide to relocate. Once again, wouldn’t go down well with a new ground somewhere hard to get to. No local pubs or bars except at the ground. All this and what? We still finish mid to lower table. Can’t see any investor investing the amount of money needed for the above, to just stay the same. I’d rather we continued as we are, the Burnley way, built not bought. UTC.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:12 am
Are we really that attractive a club to investors? Our ground is at capacity, but not overcapacity. so would require massive investment for any matchday return. Our the investor could, or more likely would increase ticket prices, I can see that going down well... not. He would then probably decide the cricket field & Bob Lord stands require upgrading. Or more likely with that being 50% of the ground, would probably decide to relocate. Once again, wouldn’t go down well with a new ground somewhere hard to get to. No local pubs or bars except at the ground. All this and what? We still finish mid to lower table. Can’t see any investor investing the amount of money needed for the above, to just stay the same. I’d rather we continued as we are, the Burnley way, built not bought. UTC.
sorry Rammy, strike whilst the irons hot is my view. WE ARE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE, this will not be the case if we have to scrimp and save. If the boo boys are right, and the style of football is being constantly ridiculed, and putting people off, then we need to address it now. No bugger is going to shell out on us if we get relegated.
I couldn't give a toss about january window unless we lose a key player, but constantly claiming we are SOOO good at being prudent with the cash wont foo l anybody.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:37 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Assuming that people who are in it for profit are ruled out,

Why do we have to dismiss people who are in it for profit?

People in most successful corporations (and that's what premier league clubs are now) are in it for the money. Doesn't stop them being successful and profitable.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49 am

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:37 am
Why do we have to dismiss people who are in it for profit?

People in most successful corporations (and that's what premier league clubs are now) are in it for the money. Doesn't stop them being successful and profitable.
What's the point of getting an investor who wants to take money out? Surely the investor that's worth having is the investor that puts money in.