Things not well at the club?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Things not well at the club?

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Most organisations, when performing well, communicate from the point of view of a unified message.

We have had various examples over the past week, of Manager and Chairman delivering slightly different messages about the same issue - recruitment.

If there is a definitive view on this topic, i.e. the club's hands are tied, it really only needs to be said once, then we all move on.

Which makes Dyche's comments today re: Rigg even more baffling and intriguing. It makes you wonder why it was worth going down this route and it really adds nothing to the central narrative.

Just makes you wonder what the internal dynamics are now at the club.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Things not well at the club?

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 pm

What are they saying that is different from each other? I read it that they were both saying that we can't afford the best players and that we don't have money to burn. Very unified.

It might be a concerted campaign to get the fans back onside. There are plenty of fans who think that Burnley is underachieving either in style or in results or both, and we ought to be trying (or even succeeding) to get closer to the top teams. The club is perhaps trying to manage expectations.
This user liked this post: KateR

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:27 pm

It's not really an article about Rigg, Dyche is explaining again to the fans why the market is difficult for us but he's using Rigg's appointment as a framing device.
He mentions Rigg once right at the start basically saying he's finding it a challenge.
Then goes on to explain in great detail the challenges the club face when signing players and how crazy the market is, never mentioning Rigg again.
Like DSR says I think they're all on message and quite unified.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:52 pm

I agree the message is unified but it's very disappointing when you only get half a message, we have a problem! Where was the other half of the message, the solution, that's what is frustrating, it's the same problem for years, so why would anyone expect a different outcome, ohh yes we have more money every year, but the costs every year go up in leaps and bounds, will one 20 - 30 - 40 Million player solve our issues? Those in charge of strategy and tactical business planning and implementation think not I would hazard a guess based on previous years, therefore the strategy is flawed and the message is unacceptable as an excuse as that is how I see it laid out for the fans.

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:56 pm

How is 'continuing to stretch the structure' compatible with knowing there is no business to be done in Jan already, mainly due to issues with recruitment.

Asking for a friend.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm

The message is quite clear and unified; we are really struggling to compete financially. I can’t see that ever changing.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 pm
The message is quite clear and unified; we are really struggling to compete financially. I can’t see that ever changing.
Especially in January, when the prices are even crazier.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:09 pm

If they really want to improve communication they’d stop with the cryptic messages coming out of the club.
We know the market is difficult - that is obvious.

Stop treating the fans as stupid and the only person who should be taking about the clubs finances is Garlick - given every financial / player decision is ultimately made by him.
We are making £30m profit a season. We have built up significant reserves from previous seasons profits.
We have one of the lower wage bills in the league.
We have a number of players who are going to be out of contract soon.

Explain to fans why this would mean that we have little money to spend on new players. We know that player transfers are usually paid for over instalments which means we are not taking a big hit at the start.
We believe our players contracts have relegation clauses - if this isn’t the case then maybe that’s the reason we are having to put money aside for the future.

I’m not sure what the big secret is and why they just don’t provide us with some rationale for what is happening at the club.

Some of us with a financial background can read and understand the accounts very well and it’s not making any sense to me why we are spending so little on new players.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm

I think we all know before anyone opens their mouth what they are going to say. They might as well print it out on a large piece of cardboard, put it away for the season and bring it back out for all to read the following season.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 pm

I can’t help but think our insistence on including a Relegation Clause might be what’s scuppering some of these deals being mentioned.
That has to be taken on the chin by the Club and the Fans, as the Relegation Clause is a sound policy by us, and should not be compromised.
These 4 users liked this post: summitclaret CombatClaret Bosscat tiger76

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:17 pm

To me it seems a pretty simple subject to understand?

Club spends a high proportion of its incomings on things such as wages and other necessary running costs meaning there isn't huge sums left to play with.

Transfer fees (especially in January) are getting bigger each window.

Club doesn't want to have debt which makes it very difficult to improve the team within the budget.

Club has little to no international scouting network which takes both time and money to build up to a level the club would be happy with and to put faith in meaning the market to shop in is very small and expensive.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:18 pm

"And while Dyche admits Rigg has produced some ideal players, the finances simply don’t add up at the club to pursue them any further" - so we've been paying Rigg since November 2018 and he is yet to find a player within our budget?? Either our budget is so ridiculously low it's pretty much impossible to improve the squad, or Rigg doesn't have the capability to do his job right (perhaps both).
Last edited by Flying Without Ings on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:18 pm

deanothedino wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:07 pm
Especially in January, when the prices are even crazier.
Agreed so why did we not get a permanent cm in last window? It is unacceptable. We need to do something now. If JBG is out for weeks again, then Hendrick is going to start wide right. That leaves us very vulnerable in cm with 17 games to go.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 k90bfc

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:19 pm

NOT GOING WELL , Bloody awful id say reduced number of pies at half time in bob lord stand no blankets and the only offer was a freddie chocolate which is not really the same as a peppered stake pie .
If we cant get the pies right how on earth will we get new players in

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm

>Club has little to no international scouting network which takes both time and money to build up to a level the club would be happy with and to put faith in meaning the market to shop in is very small and expensive.

It's 10 seasons since we broke into the Premier League and we've had 5 lots of Premier League Money plus parachute payments in the meantime. How long and how much do we need?
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 randomclaret2

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 pm
I can’t help but think our insistence on including a Relegation Clause might be what’s scuppering some of these deals being mentioned.
That has to be taken on the chin by the Club and the Fans, as the Relegation Clause is a sound policy by us, and should not be compromised.

aren't they fairly standard for most clubs?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 pm
Definitely a good thing to have relegation clauses and tbh I always believed that we did. I’m sure other clubs in our position also have them. We know West Brom did with Jay.

If we do then I can’t see a reason why we are not spending more on players than we are. I can’t believe that the players we would be targeting would refuse to come because of a relegation clause - but if they are we are either targeting the wrong players or the club could just tell us that is the case - I don’t think it is but if it were most sensible fans would understand that.

If we have got relegation clauses it’s back to the question as to why we have little or no money to spend when we have accumulated significant profits in the last 3 or 4 years

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:42 pm

I’m ******* sick and tired of being told every transfer window that we don’t have a pot to **** in. It doesn’t need to be said, by Garlick, Dyche, or anyone connected to the club.

We all know it’s difficult for us to compete in the PL. I’m a realist, and I think the vast majority of Burnley fans are too. Yeah, there’s histrionics on here after a defeat, but that’s at every club.

I don’t want us going out spunking £20/30M for the sake of it, and I accept that a club like us has to be cautious in the transfer market.

But come on, why do we have to be so negative in the media all the time, talking the club down. It just reinforces the ‘little ‘ol Burnley’ mindset that still prevails in the corridors of power.
These 2 users liked this post: ropecatchmonkey Juan Tanamera

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:43 pm

The board have done well to date on many fronts but not all. PR and communication has always been poor. If we've known the market is going to get more and more expensive why haven’t we built an overseas network and better uk network. I thought International Recruitment was Galicks business unless I’m missing something. The board need challenging with questions by shareholders which at historic meetings they haven’t. I can’t believe there aren’t players that are young and hungry overseas that are good enough to challenge Cork and Westwood.
These 3 users liked this post: TsarBomba houseboy Juan Tanamera

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:48 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:43 pm
The board have done well to date on many fronts but not all. PR and communication has always been poor. If we've known the market is going to get more and more expensive why haven’t we built an overseas network and better uk network. I thought International Recruitment was Galicks business unless I’m missing something. The board need challenging with questions by shareholders which at historic meetings they haven’t. I can’t believe there aren’t players that are young and hungry overseas that are good enough to challenge Cork and Westwood.
We have to bridge the gap by all means available. We should be making better use of the loan market, and by now have at least some semblance of an overseas scouting network in place. If we don’t, after 5 years of PL footy, then serious questions need to be asked why.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Juan Tanamera

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 pm

It’s fine, we are saving up to break the word transfer record with mbappe. Only a few more years.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Thinking purely as if I were the Chairman of a company I would have to question my Manager as to why vast sums are being spent on fees and wages for players like Hart, Gibson, Vyrdra etc, yet they are not being used (rarely). I would have real concern about those and future purchasers. I like Dyche and what he stands for but I do have some concerns about his ability to identify the right type of purchase, let's be honest there's been some awful ones. I know Rigg is there to help but Dyche has the final say so were led to believe.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm
aren't they fairly standard for most clubs?
You tell me? It’s known, for instance, that Sunderland and Newcastle didn’t have them(though the latter may have now). Also, I’d wager that of the ones that do have them, ours have the strictest terms, ie. a larger percentage fall.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:43 pm
PR and communication has always been poor.
Because they don't invest in it and prefer to have people doing roles that other PL clubs have split between 2 or 3 people.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:20 pm

The simple solution is to go prospecting, hope you discover oil in unprecedented quantity and then bankroll the Club instead of enjoyng your new found wealth 8-)

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:24 pm

I saw that spelling mistake Johnny boy, I was just about to report it back to the group 🤣🤣🤣😀

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pm
Most organisations, when performing well, communicate from the point of view of a unified message.

We have had various examples over the past week, of Manager and Chairman delivering slightly different messages about the same issue - recruitment.

If there is a definitive view on this topic, i.e. the club's hands are tied, it really only needs to be said once, then we all move on.

Which makes Dyche's comments today re: Rigg even more baffling and intriguing. It makes you wonder why it was worth going down this route and it really adds nothing to the central narrative.

Just makes you wonder what the internal dynamics are now at the club.
The overall picture is pretty consistent - don't expect much to change.

But there's certainly a subtle difference of emphasis. There's an element of frustration within Dyche's comments which aren't present in Garlick's comments. Dyche indicates he'd like the club to stretch its budgets; Garlick's comments imply that this isn't something he's contemplating.

Suspect this sums up the tension that has existed behind the scenes for a while. Garlick sets his budgets and is inflexible about changing them, and so effectively challenges Dyche to bring in players within that budget; Dyche wants to shop for a particular type of player who isn't available within said budget. Garlick isn't budging on the budget, and Dyche isn't budging on the targets themselves, and so nothing happens.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm
It's 10 seasons since we broke into the Premier League and we've had 5 lots of Premier League Money plus parachute payments in the meantime. How long and how much do we need?
And Premier League wages to go with it

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:35 pm

I just don't get these ideas that we are rolling in it. If the wage bill is 85 million it doesn't leave much for the rest including transfers if we have a turnover of say 110million. Even if we have 30 million in dry powder-it aint much in this league.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:37 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:35 pm
I just don't get these ideas that we are rolling in it. If the wage bill is 85 million it doesn't leave much for the rest including transfers if we have a turnover of say 110million. Even if we have 30 million in dry powder-it aint much in this league.
Too many people see the Premier League money figure and don't see the wage bill.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:39 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Not an expert on finances but sounds right to me. And that £30m is gone within one season back in the Championship.

I know fans love totting up 'net spends' but it's the wage bill you need to watch and I imagine ours is close to its limit.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:43 pm

mdd2 wrote:
And what do you think happens when you make between £20m and £30m a year in 3 or 4 consecutive years ?
Where do you think those accumulated profits go when there are no dividends paid or directors loans to repay ?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm
And Premier League wages to go with it
I would suspect Tony that with regard to average wages in the PL were are NOT paying PL wages. I would further suspect that many players in the Championship are getting more. This is not necesarilly a criticism of the club (I hate what modern players get paid) but more the reality of the PL. At the moment it seems as though the club are happy to tread water and just keep the money rolling in, but then that goes back to the question of are the club a football club or a profit seeking business? More and more is made these days of clubs being 'businesses' but because of that many (including ours I fear) seem to think that the money is the main reason for it's existence (and sadly many fans seem to think that now also). Perhaps I'm being either niaive or cynical (obviously I can't be both) but in all this talk of profit and loss and how much money clubs in the PL are making we seem to be losing sight of the fact that the whole reason for the existence of a club, any club not just ours, is to play football and be the best you can be on the field. A healthy bank balance is not a measure of success for a football club, or at least it shouldn't be.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:51 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:47 pm
I would suspect Tony that with regard to average wages in the PL were are NOT paying PL wages. I would further suspect that many players in the Championship are getting more. This is not necesarilly a criticism of the club (I hate what modern players get paid) but more the reality of the PL. At the moment it seems as though the club are happy to tread water and just keep the money rolling in, but then that goes back to the question of are the club a football club or a profit seeking business? More and more is made these days of clubs being 'businesses' but because of that many (including ours I fear) seem to think that the money is the main reason for it's existence (and sadly many fans seem to think that now also). Perhaps I'm being either niaive or cynical (obviously I can't be both) but in all this talk of profit and loss and how much money clubs in the PL are making we seem to be losing sight of the fact that the whole reason for the existence of a club, any club not just ours, is to play football and be the best you can be on the field. A healthy bank balance is not a measure of success for a football club, or at least it shouldn't be.
The wage bill was £81 million in 2017/18, albeit with bonuses, but I suspect it won't be any lower for 2018/19. I think we are very much paying Premier League wages now. I can't imagine there will be a big profit when the next accounts are released and I don't think money is rolling in.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm

I think the Chairman specifically mentioning a £20m transfer that didnt quite happen last summer and 6 months later the club signalling no signings are expected when we are on the edge of the relegation zone has bemused a lot of fans

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Houseboy - come on. Nobody in the championship has a wage bill of £85m like ours - or anywhere near it.

I’m not happy that we are not spending more because the financial information I can see says we can and still be prudent / live within our means. But let’s not exaggerate the situation too much - our wage bill is massive now compared to what it has ever been....probably nearly 4 times as high as at the end of the last decade under Coyle.

If any championship team had our current wage bill they would be losing about £70m a year and breaking all the fair play regs / going bust very quickly !

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:43 pm
And what do you think happens when you make between £20m and £30m a year in 3 or 4 consecutive years ?
Where do you think those accumulated profits go when there are no dividends paid or directors loans to repay ?
Balance sheet value of players, mostly.

What the accounts show, typically, is £100m income, £70m wages and running costs, £10m cost of players, profit £20m, and everyone says where's the profit gone, why don't we spend it on players.

But what has actually happened is £100m income, £70m wages and running costs, £40m spent on transfers. Total spend = £10m more than income. In the accounts, which are produced on the semi-idiotic strictly logical prescribed by the Accountants' Institutes, if you spend £40m on new players on 4-year contracts, you only write down £10m of the value in year 1; the balance in years 2, 3 and 4.

So if the accounts show huge profits, it doesn't mean there is vast sums of money floating around. It might very well mean the money has been spent but the accounts hide the spending.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:51 pm
The wage bill was £81 million in 2017/18, albeit with bonuses, but I suspect it won't be any lower for 2018/19. I think we are very much paying Premier League wages now. I can't imagine there will be a big profit when the next accounts are released and I don't think money is rolling in.
Tony - the money has already rolled in.
Even if we make less profit this year I’d be surprised if it was less than £10m / £15m.
Add that to the previous years profits and that has got to be at least £75m we have accumulated in retained profits.
That money can’t just disappear without it showing in our published accounts.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 pm
Houseboy - come on. Nobody in the championship has a wage bill of £85m like ours - or anywhere near it.

I’m not happy that we are not spending more because the financial information I can see says we can and still be prudent / live within our means. But let’s not exaggerate the situation too much - our wage bill is massive now compared to what it has ever been....probably nearly 4 times as high as at the end of the last decade under Coyle.

If any championship team had our current wage bill they would be losing about £70m a year and breaking all the fair play regs / going bust very quickly !
Agreed, but Wolves, Leeds, Fulham, Middlesborough, West Ham and Derby to some extent all did it, in an effort to get promotion. If the Championship wages are nowhere near those in the PL then why are we struggling to attract them to step up? I think the Championship players in the top half probably are on the same wages our team is on.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm

We've got about 18 players who regularly play. Those will be the big payday players.

Yet somehow we've got an 80m+ wage bill..

Can someone do the maths here for me cos I'll doubt anyone is on 90-100k a week.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:10 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm
Balance sheet value of players, mostly.

What the accounts show, typically, is £100m income, £70m wages and running costs, £10m cost of players, profit £20m, and everyone says where's the profit gone, why don't we spend it on players.

But what has actually happened is £100m income, £70m wages and running costs, £40m spent on transfers. Total spend = £10m more than income. In the accounts, which are produced on the semi-idiotic strictly logical prescribed by the Accountants' Institutes, if you spend £40m on new players on 4-year contracts, you only write down £10m of the value in year 1; the balance in years 2, 3 and 4.

So if the accounts show huge profits, it doesn't mean there is vast sums of money floating around. It might very well mean the money has been spent but the accounts hide the spending.
That does not make sense
Balance sheet and P & L are 2 different things.
Most players are bought in instalments and spread over 3 or 4 years. And any money we received on sale of players will normally be like that too.

In your example we spend £40m on players and only £10m comes out of year 1 and the other £30m out of the next 3 years at £10m a time. So yes whilst you have a contingent liability for that remaining £30m you are still making £20m profit in year one not losing £10m as you have said.

As long as you keep on posting those profits then they are retained profits. Of course we need to factor any remaining spend we have committed on transfers into our future budgets...and it Impacts on future P & Ls but this has been the case for the last few years and we continue to post great profits.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

If we really don't have any money for transfers, then we should bring some in by either selling or loaning fringe players. Vydra, Hart and Gibson barely play and could probably command a fee. If we brought in another right back we could also probably move Lowton on if he is now second choice behind Bardsley.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

I would prefer to see the next signing being Kante or Fernandino's long lost cousin for £4Million from FC the middle of another continent who our recruitment think could become a better player than their kin. Basically I would be comfortable with us taking a risk on a player with no known stats to write home about from South America or Africa based on the fact that it is so hard to find and recruit the "British" players. Other clubs unearth talent why can't we try, Wolves have some amazing Portuguese lads that cost Aldi prices, we don't have to shop at Waitrose.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:32 pm

We are paying a lot of wages for benchsitters. I’d prefer we combined these and paid a higher wage on less players or one player who is actually good enough to start. If a player is so much better he will be paid more and other players would have to accept that. People who deliver more or who are better at their job get paid more. I think the club has a strict policy if no player gets paid more than x. My preference would be hungry young players from home or abroad though who don’t want daft money or a mix.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:33 pm

there is still a lot to come out about the Wolves story - but being owned by a multi-billion dollar corporation that also owns a significant (if minority share) in a leading Football agency then signs a large proportion of it's clients including some who leveraged a financial issue at their previous club to transfer at "Aldi prices" thanks to the legal work of said agency

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:33 pm

At the last Q and A with SD, he was explaining that players are expecting higher wages than we are paying so even getting current players to sign extensions is a massive challenge.
Hence Hendrick not signing a deal, Heats going to Villa etc.

So it’s hard to just keep the ones we have and I expect those who have signed contracts have gone up several grand a week.

It’s just the way it is.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:32 pm
We are paying a lot of wages for benchsitters. I’d prefer we combined these and paid a higher wage on less players or one player who is actually good enough to start.
And you would you then have on the bench?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:33 pm
At the last Q and A with SD, he was explaining that players are expecting higher wages than we are paying so even getting current players to sign extensions is a massive challenge.

So it’s hard to just keep the ones we have and I expect those who have signed contracts have gone up several grand a week.

It’s just the way it is.
That seems pretty accurate to me

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
there is still a lot to come out about the Wolves story - but being owned by a multi-billion dollar corporation that also owns a significant (if minority share) in a leading Football agency then signs a large proportion of it's clients including some who leveraged a financial issue at their previous club to transfer at "Aldi prices" thanks to the legal work of said agency
Definitely dodgy as you say. They had a long long list of players they took in on loan when they were in the championship - many were internationals playing champions league football for big teams.
They ended up paying a lot in loan fees and then as you say on the permanent transfers when they signed many looked very under valued.
The whole thing at Wolves stinks of conflicts of interests and dodgy financial transactions and I can’t believe it’s never been investigated by the authorities.
It seems to be have been forgotten too by the media in all the fuss about the lovely exciting football they play !

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

It’s just the way it is.
You think Hendrick will be offered a better deal elsewhere?