Sexism and leaving the field...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Sexism and leaving the field...

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Palace ladies' keeper, Lucy Gillett, claiming that abuse she received was sufficient that "maybe" she "should have walked off the pitch".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51126018

All sounds unpleasant and, it could be argued, playing to a 'homophobic' stereotype about women athletes. Interestingly some other reports also said she had complained about 'body shaming' among the abuse - the precise remarks weren't specified.

Are we going to end up with FIFA protocols being triggered for a shout or chant of, "You fat ba5tard"?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Sexism and leaving the field...

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Are we going to end up with FIFA protocols being triggered for a shout or chant of, "You fat ba5tard"?
I think that any "insult" if it is factually correct should be permitted, so if it is hurled at someone who is overweight and fatherless I think that should be OK
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
I think that any "insult" if it is factually correct should be permitted, so if it is hurled at someone who is overweight and fatherless I think that should be OK
I'm a little *******... I can take that

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:39 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Palace ladies' keeper, Lucy Gillett, claiming that abuse she received was sufficient that "maybe" she "should have walked off the pitch".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51126018

All sounds unpleasant and, it could be argued, playing to a 'homophobic' stereotype about women athletes. Interestingly some other reports also said she had complained about 'body shaming' among the abuse - the precise remarks weren't specified.

I doubt it. There has been decades of racist abuse in football stadiums and even now Fifa are struggling to show any strength and courage in supporting those on the end of the abuse.

With that in mind the idea that FIFA protocols are going to concern themselves with a chant like the one you mentioned above anytime soon is pretty ludicrous and not something you need worry yourself about

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Let's ban football. Oh wait a minute, that would 'offend' football fans. Where the f*ck is this all going to end? It's about time some 'offendees' grew a spine.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm

It's now got to the point, strangely, where telling the truth has become 'offensive'. I referred to someone a while ago as 'fat' ands my daughter said 'you can't say that dad', to which I replied 'why not exactly, she is fat, it is just a statement of fact, it's not abusive'.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:39 pm

... pretty ludicrous and not something you need worry yourself about
Which of course would have been said about many things we now take as normal not much more than a decade ago.

I'm not "concerned" in the sense of worried, just interested to see what happens next. The anti "fat / body shaming" movement is pretty well established. I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't get involved here. Is discrimination against fat people less obnoxious than racial discrimination, they may well ask? Should football grounds not be a welcoming place for all? How do fat people feel in the ground hearing that it's OK to ridicule them?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:51 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm
Which of course would have been said about many things we now take as normal not much more than a decade ago.

I'm not "concerned" in the sense of worried, just interested to see what happens next. The anti "fat / body shaming" movement is pretty well established. I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't get involved here. Is discrimination against fat people less obnoxious than racial discrimination, they may well ask? Should football grounds not be a welcoming place for all? How do fat people feel in the ground hearing that it's OK to ridicule them?
Like I said you're over thinking this one.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm

There really is no comparison mate. Black people (or any other non-white race) cannot help being what they are but most (not all of course) fat people can help being fat. I'm not saying it should be open season on offending them but if they are fat because of their own inability to control their eating there IS something they can do about it, if they wish to. Calling fat people 'fat' is no worse than describing the clothes they wear. It's a description, nothing more, like overweight, obese or any number of other terms. Most black people don't mind being called black, it's a description, it's the other more offensive terms that they are, rightly, offended by. We seem to be getting to some weird point where we are looking for ways to describe people without someone saying it is offensive.
Overweight people are the way they are because they are carrying an excess of the substance 'fat', therefore the term 'fat' is a legitimate one. Obviously the terms 'fatty' or 'fat b*st*rd' are more personal and therefore are more offensive but using 'fat' as a description should be okay.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm
There really is no comparison mate. Black people (or any other non-white race) cannot help being what they are but most (not all of course) fat people can help being fat. I'm not saying it should be open season on offending them but if they are fat because of their own inability to control their eating there IS something they can do about it, if they wish to. Calling fat people 'fat' is no worse than describing the clothes they wear. It's a description, nothing more, like overweight, obese or any number of other terms. Most black people don't mind being called black, it's a description, it's the other more offensive terms that they are, rightly, offended by. We seem to be getting to some weird point where we are looking for ways to describe people without someone saying it is offensive.
Overweight people are the way they are because they are carrying an excess of the substance 'fat', therefore the term 'fat' is a legitimate one. Obviously the terms 'fatty' or 'fat b*st*rd' are more personal and therefore are more offensive but using 'fat' as a description should be okay.
I think we're well past the point of people being expected to control their eating or being blamed for eating too much in relation to their size. We are quickly medicalising and rationalising all such issues. Look at the recent debate on here on gambling. What's the difference between gambling more than you should and eating more than you should?

I'm not making the case but I would guess that, despite DA's cursory dismissal of it without letting us in on his reasoning, it won't be too long before it comes up.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Anyway, back to the OP. Some men paid to watch a ladies football match, then in their sad little group started shouting offensive remarks to women trying to play sport.

There's no passing the buck here to society, snowflake culture or any other crap. It's simply a few cowardly men acting like t**ts, hurling abuse at individual young women from the safety of the crowd.
This user liked this post: dsr

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:52 pm

- what happened to Get your tits out fo rthe lads?
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm

If they didn't like it why were they there I wonder? I don't like cricket - so I don't go. I'm not too keen on women's football either - so I don't go. But if I did I wouldn't take the p!ss.
It surprises me somewhat that people seem to sometimes go out of their way to be somewhere they don't really want to be.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Perhaps the players were so crap that a few of the crowd threw a bit of banter around ? With a paying crowd of say 100 people I’d imagine the shouts could be clearly heard . Women’s football is such a horrendous spectacle, if they choose to play the game they need to be able to handle a bit of stick . “ sure you’re not a bloke ?” Is hardly the most biting Wildean wit

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm
If they didn't like it why were they there I wonder? I don't like cricket - so I don't go. I'm not too keen on women's football either - so I don't go. But if I did I wouldn't take the p!ss.
It surprises me somewhat that people seem to sometimes go out of their way to be somewhere they don't really want to be.
Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people pay to watch football matches every week and shout abuse at opposition players.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:46 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm
It's now got to the point, strangely, where telling the truth has become 'offensive'. I referred to someone a while ago as 'fat' ands my daughter said 'you can't say that dad', to which I replied 'why not exactly, she is fat, it is just a statement of fact, it's not abusive'.
Your Daughters right.. you cant call her mother fat!

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm

They've just interviewed the player.

The 'fans' variously:
Said she had a big bum
Said she should renew her gym membership
Asked the ref to check the gender of "at least 7" of her team's players

In her view, abuse is abuse and if we're coming down on racist abuse, we should do the same on any other abuse because "abuse is abuse".

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:52 pm
- what happened to Get your tits out for the lads?
Belongs back in the early 1980's together with Jeremy Corbyn ! :D

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:21 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm
Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people pay to watch football matches every week and shout abuse at opposition players.
And referees!

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:38 pm
Anyway, back to the OP. Some men paid to watch a ladies football match, then in their sad little group started shouting offensive remarks to women trying to play sport.

There's no passing the buck here to society, snowflake culture or any other crap. It's simply a few cowardly men acting like t**ts, hurling abuse at individual young women from the safety of the crowd.

"Trying to play sport" ???? -- How condescending.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm
"Trying to play sport" ???? -- How condescending.
Toxic masculinity, right there. Shocking.

atlantalad
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:14 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm
Should have just said to your daughter "shes' a bonny lass m'duck" , then you'd be stating the truth. :)

.p.s. For your own safety don't repeat that to any "large " female Leicester fans on Sunday :(

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

atlantalad wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:14 am
Should have just said to your daughter "shes' a bonny lass m'duck" , then you'd be stating the truth. :) For your own safety don't repeat that to any "large " female Leicester fans on Sunday :(
Whilst " bonny " in Scotland and the North of England, means lovely or beautiful, I can attest to the fact that it definitely means " fat " in the East Midlands ...... such are the vagaries of language

My mother, accompanying my Dad on a business trip to Kansas in the mid 70's, was horrified when the American woman next to her at dinner began to tell her all her intimate marital difficulties ..... not quite as horrified, though as the woman was when Mum told her, " Never mind dear, keep your pecker up ! " :D

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Your Daughters right.. you cant call her mother fat!
Now that I daren’t do. 😂

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:33 pm

atlantalad wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:14 am
Should have just said to your daughter "shes' a bonny lass m'duck" , then you'd be stating the truth. :)

.p.s. For your own safety don't repeat that to any "large " female Leicester fans on Sunday :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm
True. Very true. And they don’t leave the field crying.