One of the hardest things in management

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

One of the hardest things in management

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:32 am

In his post match interview on the official website Dyche said:

"one of the hardest things in management is actually doing nothing when everyone wants you to do everything"

I've been critical of him for the style of play but that line stopped me in my tracks on a human level, fair play to him.

It's well worth watching the interview as he says a little more and is evidently (and rightly so) very proud of himself

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Re: One of the hardest things in management

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:47 am

Is ignoring critics and backing yourself.Our family motto translates into "I will tell you how its going to be and if you dont like it tough" This could be Seans too

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:06 am

He hasn't done nothing though. He's playing Rodriguez instead of Barnes which appears to have completely change the way we're using the ball.
This user liked this post: Murger

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am

Sproggy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:06 am
He hasn't done nothing though. He's playing Rodriguez instead of Barnes which appears to have completely change the way we're using the ball.
Fair point. When we actually play football on the deck, we look really good.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:09 am

Sproggy wrote:
. thinks Dyche’s hand was forced on that one. He is 100% sure Barnes would have been partnering Wood the last couple of games had Barnes not been ruled out injured.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:16 pm

.....is yer willie as that second goal went in......!!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Sproggy wrote:
To be fair that has been kind of forced on him but he does seem to be mixing it up a little more. Lowton was much better last night as well. I wonder if getting back in the side after Bardsley's injury has woken him up a bit. Sometimes being dropped does wonders for a player's attitude.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm
To be fair that has been kind of forced on him but he does seem to be mixing it up a little more. Lowton was much better last night as well. I wonder if getting back in the side after Bardsley's injury has woken him up a bit. Sometimes being dropped does wonders for a player's attitude.
Thought Lowton got better second half but first half he was awful,lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away because of lack of composure.We are a better side with Bardskey and it’s definately a position where we need to find a Right footed Charlie Taylor

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 pm

. wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:09 am
. thinks Dyche’s hand was forced on that one. He is 100% sure Barnes would have been partnering Wood the last couple of games had Barnes not been ruled out injured.
Wouldn't it be excellent if Barnes couldn't get back in the side after he recovers? It would mean somebody (JRod?) would be doing a brilliant job, because we all know how much Dyche values Barnes. Jay seems to be slowly but surely growing into his role now and no-one can criticise his work ethic. If he and Wood continue to grow into an understanding then Barnes must be fearing the worst. The interplay between Wood And Jay for the second goal was stunning, just as good as the goal itself.

More of this please guys.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Tinribs wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm
Thought Lowton got better second half but first half he was awful,lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away because of lack of composure.We are a better side with Bardskey and it’s definately a position where we need to find a Right footed Charlie Taylor
He did seem to grow into the game the longer it went on. Still think Bardsley is the better option (never thought I would ever say that) but yes, you are right, we do need some thing a little better at right back.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Like I said on the match thread yesterday, Lowton and Bardsley seem to take it in turns to hit a bit of form.

When Bardsley comes in, he plays well and you don't see how Lowton can replace him. But then Lowton comes in and he then plays well.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:32 am
In his post match interview on the official website Dyche said:

"one of the hardest things in management is actually doing nothing when everyone wants you to do everything"

I've been critical of him for the style of play but that line stopped me in my tracks on a human level, fair play to him.

It's well worth watching the interview as he says a little more and is evidently (and rightly so) very proud of himself

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/
He has said it a few times before - when we have had a difficult spell

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:44 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 pm
Wouldn't it be excellent if Barnes couldn't get back in the side after he recovers? It would mean somebody (JRod?) would be doing a brilliant job, because we all know how much Dyche values Barnes. Jay seems to be slowly but surely growing into his role now and no-one can criticise his work ethic. If he and Wood continue to grow into an understanding then Barnes must be fearing the worst. The interplay between Wood And Jay for the second goal was stunning, just as good as the goal itself.

More of this please guys.
The main issue we have as a smaller club in the premier league comes with management of the squad. Dyche is brilliant at this because he makes relatively few changes but appears to keep the players that are not playing regularly happy. Basically, it is one thing keeping players at the likes of Chelsea happy when they are not playing (I.e Giroud) but when you are a smaller club like ours you would not be surprised if there wasn’t more murmurings of discontent when left out (I.e from Gibson, Vydra and the like), particularly when they have been purchased for circa 12 to 18m.

The longer we stay at this level the better the player that is brought in the more of the old guard need to be patient following lay offs...Rodriguez is an example of the quality of player we were selling that we are now buying,,,,

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm
Like I said on the match thread yesterday, Lowton and Bardsley seem to take it in turns to hit a bit of form.

When Bardsley comes in, he plays well and you don't see how Lowton can replace him. But then Lowton comes in and he then plays well.
Good innit :D

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Dyche has conviction in the way he goes about doing things, and he's consistently proven that this method pays dividends. People wrongly call it stubbornness, but it's this belief and conviction that has given the huge majority of Burnley fans the most successful period in their lives. I find petulant and childish when people turn on him after a relatively small number of poor performances. If we've learned anything from Dyche's tenure (the second longest in the PL) it's the benefit of stability.