Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 pm
You really are a special right wing loony, Ringo. You highlight a phrase where I’ve said I’m a democrat and twist that against me. End of conversation. I’d get more sense out of the wall.
You really are a special kind of "democrat" Trev!

The special kind of "democrat" that believes , and I quote, "Millions shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a polling booth!" :lol: :lol:

The special kind of "democrat" that believes , when democracy delivers a result he doesn't agree with, and I quote, "we have to live with it but that doesn’t make it correct.! " :lol: :lol:

You reckon youd get more sense out of the wall. It's a pity The Berlin Wall has gone. You'd have been right at home chatting away to it, with other special "democrats" . Of course, on the side where elections always gave the "correct" result comrade!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:16 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Keep us updated on all the positives, as and when they happen.
I know you wont welcome good news, so before you go running to the nearest london based Remoaner self help group on blocking out positivity, It's only a prediction. Ok!, just a prediction!

But yesterday the IMF forecast that the UK economy is set to outperform the German, French and eurozone as a whole!

Sorry to be the harbinger of good news Andrew! :lol:

British economy will grow faster than eurozone rivals, says IMF | News | The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -k2h3vbdjm#

UK economy will outpace eurozone for first two years after Brexit, IMF predicts
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... downgrade/

UK economy set to trounce eurozone, IMF report says 'So much for Brexit disaster!' | Politics | News | Express.co.uk
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ions-boris

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm
I would have thought a hardcore labour man like yourself would be delighted that we are going to curb low skilled migration. The benefits are obvious to a man of your political ilk, protect the british workers jobs and no suppression of wages.

Let’s be honest why would a company employ John who is moaning about doing overtime to cover a colleagues shift and may not exactly be motivated on £8.50 an hour when Pawel will work 70hours a week and be delighted?
If Sesame Street did Brexit

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Right_winger wrote:
I would have thought a hardcore labour man like yourself would be delighted that we are going to curb low skilled migration. The benefits are obvious to a man of your political ilk, protect the british workers jobs and no suppression of wages.

Let’s be honest why would a company employ John who is moaning about doing overtime to cover a colleagues shift and may not exactly be motivated on £8.50 an hour when Pawel will work 70hours a week and be delighted?
Why do you think that we are going to curb low skilled migration? The last set of immigration statistics just showed EU immigration being replaced by immigrants from outside of the EU.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 pm

Right_winger wrote:

Ending free movement with the EU will reduce the ability of British workers to work in EU countries. I see that as a loss of opportunity. If you want to protect British workers within the UK, then it could be done through stronger (and enforced) regulations, without losing the potential of working outside the UK.

While you're interested in having an honest conversation, the fruit and vegetables that "low-skilled" EU citizens came to pick, aren't going to pick themselves once we leave. So the work will have to become more attractive to UK citizens, or we'll have to make an exemption to allow the labour in to pick the fruit. It goes the same for a lot of positions - nurses and orderlies in the NHS for example, will either have to be better paid to attract UK citizens, or we have to go overseas to find them.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:16 pm
I know you wont welcome good news, so before you go running to the nearest london based Remoaner self help group on blocking out positivity, It's only a prediction. Ok!, just a prediction!

But yesterday the IMF forecast that the UK economy is set to outperform the German, French and eurozone as a whole!

Sorry to be the harbinger of good news Andrew! :lol:

British economy will grow faster than eurozone rivals, says IMF | News | The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -k2h3vbdjm#

UK economy will outpace eurozone for first two years after Brexit, IMF predicts
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... downgrade/

UK economy set to trounce eurozone, IMF report says 'So much for Brexit disaster!' | Politics | News | Express.co.uk
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ions-boris
Why would I not welcome good news? If brexit is a success I'll be very pleased. Let's be honest though. The IMF forecast you're talking about adds the caveat of "with an orderly exit"

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:34 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Why would I not welcome good news? If brexit is a success I'll be very pleased. Let's be honest though. The IMF forecast you're talking about adds the caveat of "with an orderly exit"
Why!?

Cos you're a pessimism riddled remoaner, that, let's be honest will , seek out any chink of negativity in good, brexit related, news. As the above post proves.

Now I know you've a positivity phobia , but following the great prediction from the IMF about our post brexit economic fortunes. I've got some more good news.

As a man that expects nothing Andrew, you're never going to be disappointed! :lol:

Bitter? Not so much!.......

:lol:

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:34 am
Why!?

Cos you're a pessimism riddled remoaner, that, let's be honest will , seek out any chink of negativity in good, brexit related, news. As the above post proves.

Now I know you've a positivity phobia , but following the great prediction from the IMF about our post brexit economic fortunes. I've got some more good news.

As a man that expects nothing Andrew, you're never going to be disappointed! :lol:

Bitter? Not so much!.......

Your post says more about you than it does about me.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5516 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:53 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am
One of the many remain lies pre referendum

"IMF says Brexit would trigger UK recession

Annual report on the British economy predicts ‘negative and substantial’ effects if Britain left the EU" June 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the many remain lies pre referendum
I'm confused now. Are the IMF liars or not?
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:08 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:53 am
I'm confused now. Are the IMF liars or not?
Previously , the IMF predicted that a vote to Leave would trigger a recession.

Time proved that prediction to be wrong.

This week the IMF have predicted that, following brexit, the UK will outperform the German, French and Eurozone.

It's great news. It could be proven wrong by time. But as we speak it's good positive , brexit related news.

Its not rocket science. However, you're "confused".

I can see why you voted Remain, and lost, now.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 am
Your post says more about you than it does about me.

It most certainly does.!

I'm optimistic and on the winning side of the European arguement.

You're a pessimism riddled loser.

The 2010 general election- your side lost

The 2015 general election- your side lost

The 2016 referendum- your side lost

The 2016 USA presidential election- your side lost

The 2017 general election- your side lost

The 2019 EU parliamentary election- your side lost

The 2019 general election- your side lost

And your not on your own! The gaggle of left wing and metropolitan bubble dwelling remoaners that have , ultimately, wasted their breath on this messageboard for nearly 4 years, as we're still leaving, despite their huffing n puffing and stamping their entitled feet! Are all in the same , heartbroken , boat as you!

Nothing personal , but , always being on the losing side is just natures way of gently telling you that you suck!

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am

Weird how experts have suddenly become more credible now.

A decent article on the BBC about the "level playing field" and the implication for whatever deal we may get https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51180282

I still suspect that we'll end up with a large degree of regulatory alignment but the interesting area will obviously be services (80% of our economy) which seem to be glossed over a lot of the time in favour of areas like fishing (0.5% of our economy).

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm

The problem with that article is the same problem that beset Theresa May and her hopeless attempts at negotiation. It's looking only one way, as to what concessions the UK will have to make to get a deal with the EU.

Trade deals don't work that way in normal circumstances. The EU didn't insist that Canada, for example, ought to have dynamic alignment of environmental protection. Whatever the result of a normal trade deal, be it deeply aligned or just scratching at the surface, the result is the same for both sides.

If the EU wants free trade, it can be agreed easily. We are already there, and there is no more need for the EU to insist on dynamic alignment with their rules than we would insist on them dynamically aligning with ours. If the EU doesn't want free trade, or determines that political considerations are still more important than financial ones, then we won't get free trade unless the UK wants to assume the position of lying on the floor with their foot on our throat.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:08 am
Previously , the IMF predicted that a vote to Leave would trigger a recession.

Time proved that prediction to be wrong.

This week the IMF have predicted that, following brexit, the UK will outperform the German, French and Eurozone.

It's great news. It could be proven wrong by time. But as we speak it's good positive , brexit related news.

Its not rocket science. However, you're "confused".

I can see why you voted Remain, and lost, now.

Thanks for clarifying; I get it now:

Negative prediction = "lie"
Positive prediction = must be celebrated.

It's not rocket science, but nothing is in your world is it?

Who introduced you to the comma by the way?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm
Thanks for clarifying; I get it now:

Negative prediction = "lie"
Positive prediction = must be celebrated.

It's not rocket science, but nothing is in your world is it?

Who introduced you to the comma by the way?

:lol: :lol:

What did I say about the IMFs recent prediction!? I literally said "It could be proven wrong by time."

Their previous ones have been .

So, no inconsistency, simply pointing out that time can , and has proven , predictions to be wrong. If you want to wallow in pessimism fill your boots!

Who introduced you to this ceaseless negativity by the way?

Then again.

The 2019 general election- your side lost.

With a track record like that it doesn't take rocket science to work out why!

Never mind , soon be the 31st!.....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:08 pm

There's no denying it. The general election and us leaving the EU, in a matter of days, really has turned our resident remoaners into proper little crammed arses!

Poor lambs!

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm
The problem with that article is the same problem that beset Theresa May and her hopeless attempts at negotiation. It's looking only one way, as to what concessions the UK will have to make to get a deal with the EU.

Trade deals don't work that way in normal circumstances. The EU didn't insist that Canada, for example, ought to have dynamic alignment of environmental protection. Whatever the result of a normal trade deal, be it deeply aligned or just scratching at the surface, the result is the same for both sides.

If the EU wants free trade, it can be agreed easily. We are already there, and there is no more need for the EU to insist on dynamic alignment with their rules than we would insist on them dynamically aligning with ours. If the EU doesn't want free trade, or determines that political considerations are still more important than financial ones, then we won't get free trade unless the UK wants to assume the position of lying on the floor with their foot on our throat.
Almost 4 years on and you’re still unable to grasp the very simple power dynamics at play here. The EU will decide how much or how little access we have to its market depending on how closely we’re prepared to align ourselves with them. They are the rule makers here, whether you like it or not.

I know you think this is an equal negotiation where each side carries as much clout as the other, but you’re wrong. That is not, and has never been the case here. This is the reality of leaving the EU. A reality that many posters have tried to tell you about for years, but one which you still refuse to accept.

Javid’s recent comments around alignment combined with Johnson’s apparent refusal to extend the transition period beyond 12 months means we will be facing very serious problems this time next year. That’s assuming that the government are being honest (a very big if, considering the people in charge) about that, or if they’re just making the most of their limited honeymoon period before an embarrassing climb down around June.

Either way, the government will soon have to make some serious decisions. And for every decision they make, there will be consequences. If we stick to the red lines we’ve drawn up for ourselves, we’re unlikely to have any trade agreement done by the end of the year, and when it is done, we’ll be left with very limited access to the European market, and a bare bones trade agreement that will be hugely damaging to businesses and the economy in this country.

Catchy soundbites, Big Ben bongs, novelty 50p pieces and stamps won’t mean a jot. Things are about to get real.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:49 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm
Almost 4 years on and you’re still unable to grasp the very simple power dynamics at play here. The EU will decide how much or how little access we have to its market depending on how closely we’re prepared to align ourselves with them. They are the rule makers here, whether you like it or not.

I know you think this is an equal negotiation where each side carries as much clout as the other, but you’re wrong. That is not, and has never been the case here. This is the reality of leaving the EU. A reality that many posters have tried to tell you about for years, but one which you still refuse to accept.

Javid’s recent comments around alignment combined with Johnson’s apparent refusal to extend the transition period beyond 12 months means we will be facing very serious problems this time next year. That’s assuming that the government are being honest (a very big if, considering the people in charge) about that, or if they’re just making the most of their limited honeymoon period before an embarrassing climb down around June.

Either way, the government will soon have to make some serious decisions. And for every decision they make, there will be consequences. If we stick to the red lines we’ve drawn up for ourselves, we’re unlikely to have any trade agreement done by the end of the year, and when it is done, we’ll be left with very limited access to the European market, and a bare bones trade agreement that will be hugely damaging to businesses and the economy in this country.

Catchy soundbites, Big Ben bongs, novelty 50p pieces and stamps won’t mean a jot. Things are about to get real.
This isn't a UK - Isle of Man situation here, where one party is so very small that the it has to accept what is taken. No doubt the UK could abolish free trade with the Isle of Man and drive the island into bankruptcy, or at least heavy dependence on Ireland, if it wanted.

The EU is four times the size of the UK. That's not an enormous disparity. Certainly nowhere near the difference in size between the EU and Canada, which is why I quoted it. The EU can see itself as the rule makers and tell the UK what to do if it wants to continue to sell and buy from the EU; but the UK is big enough to have a say as well. Our economy does not solely rely on maintaining a vast balance of trade deficit with the EU; we have balances of trade (mostly in surplus) with other countries too. We aren't Canada in deep thrall to the USA (though the USA doesn't seem to want to treat Canada as a vassal state either).

If the EU doesn't want free trade with the UK, then it's because the EU is still playing politics; not because they want the best trade agreement for both parties. Or even the best trade agreement for themselves. The best trade agreement for themselves is to continue with their balance of payments surplus; if they decide they want to jeopardise that, it's not for financial reasons.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Don't forget our brand new blue passports, you treacherous remoaner!

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm

What did I say about the IMFs recent prediction!? I literally said "It could be proven wrong by time."

So, no inconsistency, simply pointing out that time can , and has proven , predictions to be wrong. If you want to wallow in pessimism fill your boots!

Then again.

The IMF predicted that Brexit would result in recession (your words) - Brexit hasn't happened yet so I'm not sure how that has been proved to be incorrect.

Can you highlight the "pessimism" and "ceaseless negativity" in my post you have replied to there?

You have shown some wild guesswork regarding my voting habits there. 3/7 - must do better.

The 2016 USA presidential election? WTF? Why would I have had a side in that?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am
Weird how experts have suddenly become more credible now.

A decent article on the BBC about the "level playing field" and the implication for whatever deal we may get https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51180282

I still suspect that we'll end up with a large degree of regulatory alignment but the interesting area will obviously be services (80% of our economy) which seem to be glossed over a lot of the time in favour of areas like fishing (0.5% of our economy).
It is a decent article, thanks for linking it.

People may argue about whether Brexit is good or bad (personally I think it is the best thing to happen to the UK in any of our lifetimes), but we will never know. The real issue at stake is whether the government of the day makes a good or a bad job at benefitting from it, and the jury was always going to be out on that.

Politics is all about the quid pro quo, whether that is HS2, the budget, the trade deals or what to do about Huawai. I sincerely hope we diverge from the EU sufficiently but there is a risk the government will bottle it and seek to preserve what we have rather than chase what we don’t. Free trade is the key, I just bought a new car from the US and part of the cost was a £5,000 tariff to Brussels, so I am instantly £5,000 worse off unless I bought one of the crap German alternatives which I refused to do. That just goes to show how being free of Brussels will make us better off in some ways - we don’t buy everything we need from EU producers.

I feel we can come to a deal on goods like the above, values are smaller, but services are huge. It isn’t just finances either. Things like a UK holiday company operating in France and employing loads of people - will that still be allowed? Ultimately though, the EU would be taking a huge risk by cutting their income tax receipts by discouraging services from operating in EU countries.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Who cares, we’ve just beaten ManU!

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:02 pm

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm
The IMF predicted that Brexit would result in recession (your words) - Brexit hasn't happened yet so I'm not sure how that has been proved to be incorrect.

Can you highlight the "pessimism" and "ceaseless negativity" in my post you have replied to there?

You have shown some wild guesswork regarding my voting habits there. 3/7 - must do better.

The 2016 USA presidential election? WTF? Why would I have had a side in that?
Our team beat Manchester United last night in the premier league.

Despite the whining today , from united fans on the radio and social media, theres nothing they can say that will change the result.

Think about this.

The next team our side play a game in the premier league the UK will have left the EU.

There's not a damn thing you can do or say that will stop it.

You lost. Get over it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:02 pm
Get Brexit done!

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/0 ... son-s-trad
An article that claims that every single thing aboutr Brexit is bad, is clearly nonsense. If they want to be balanced, then they might be worth reading.

One thing that did interest me is the apparent calamity of companies that used to trade with the EU but not with the outside world, having "all sorts of forms" to fill in. Firstly, why didn't they say what forms? Secondly, could they give comparisons as to whether these new forms will be more or less calamitous than the online filing of company accounts, online filing of tax returns, real time calculation of PAYE, or auto-enrolment re. pensions.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:22 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 pm
An article that claims that every single thing aboutr Brexit is bad, is clearly nonsense. If they want to be balanced, then they might be worth reading.

One thing that did interest me is the apparent calamity of companies that used to trade with the EU but not with the outside world, having "all sorts of forms" to fill in. Firstly, why didn't they say what forms? Secondly, could they give comparisons as to whether these new forms will be more or less calamitous than the online filing of company accounts, online filing of tax returns, real time calculation of PAYE, or auto-enrolment re. pensions.
Given it was an article about the difficulties in agreeing a deal then obviously it focused on the problem areas. Which specific issues did you disagree with?

I assume the article didn't specify the forms as they don't exist yet. Until the deal is agreed it won't be possible to know what will be required.

I'm not sure what your point re: online filling is. This was replacing filling requirements that were already in place with more streamlined methods. This is quite different to going from no requirement to having to start filling things.

Also, I'm not sure what area you work in but I remember all the issues when online filling of CT600s was introduced. Even with a gradual rollout the portal crashed a lot, there were countless issues with the registration process and the iXBRL tagging was a real ballache until systems had it fully integrated. If we're planning to have all this in place and working within a year it seems pretty unlikely.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 am

aggi wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:22 am
Given it was an article about the difficulties in agreeing a deal then obviously it focused on the problem areas. Which specific issues did you disagree with?

I assume the article didn't specify the forms as they don't exist yet. Until the deal is agreed it won't be possible to know what will be required.

I'm not sure what your point re: online filling is. This was replacing filling requirements that were already in place with more streamlined methods. This is quite different to going from no requirement to having to start filling things.

Also, I'm not sure what area you work in but I remember all the issues when online filling of CT600s was introduced. Even with a gradual rollout the portal crashed a lot, there were countless issues with the registration process and the iXBRL tagging was a real ballache until systems had it fully integrated. If we're planning to have all this in place and working within a year it seems pretty unlikely.
The forms exist. What the article was talking about was that businesses that used to fill in export forms to the EU will instead have to fill in export forms to the rest of the world; and businesses that previously exported to the EU only will have to learn a new way of doing it.

As for online filing: the new way to file your company accounts is to put the accounts on computer, put an electronic tag onto each of dozens if not hundreds of bits of information, register yourself with Companies House to file online, and to send it. The old way was to put the accounts in an envelope and post them. This is not streamlining.

The system for reporting exports to the rest of the world is already fully in place and fully operational. There is no implementation difficulty re. the paperwork.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:38 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 am

As for online filing: the new way to file your company accounts is to put the accounts on computer, put an electronic tag onto each of dozens if not hundreds of bits of information, register yourself with Companies House to file online, and to send it. The old way was to put the accounts in an envelope and post them. This is not streamlining.
Absolutely daft comparison.
Of course online filing of accounts is streamlining.
So previously you put your accounts in the post and that’s it is it ? Nobody had to key that into a computer for you did they ? And all your hundreds of invoices - you send them in a box afterwards - after photocopying them. Then somebody keys them in individually and checks them off against your accounts and then individually loads them into a microfiche / archive system. And then you ask your bank for copy statements and send them in the post too - and someone ticks off / reconciles it back to your accounts ?
Etc etc etc

Yep it was so much easier in th’olden days !

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 am

dsr wrote:
You can still file accounts with Companies House by post. Most companies don't because filing online is much more efficient.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 am
You can still file accounts with Companies House by post. Most companies don't because filing online is much more efficient.
You can't with HMRC though, and their electronic tagging is far more onerous than Companies House's.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:44 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am
You can't with HMRC though, and their electronic tagging is far more onerous than Companies House's.
I know. You were the one talking about filing with Companies House.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret TVC15

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:10 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Our team beat Manchester United last night in the premier league.

Despite the whining today , from united fans on the radio and social media, theres nothing they can say that will change the result.

Think about this.

The next team our side play a game in the premier league the UK will have left the EU.

There's not a damn thing you can do or say that will stop it.

You lost. Get over it.
Is there any particular reason why you quote a post then ignore everything written in it when you reply? Seems a bit pointless to me.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:10 am
Is there any particular reason why you quote a post then ignore everything written in it when you reply? Seems a bit pointless to me.
Given the next time we play a league match we'll be out of the EU, anything you have to say in support of the EU will be utterly pointless! :lol:

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am
Given the next time we play a league match we'll be out of the EU, anything you have to say in support of the EU will be utterly pointless! :lol:
I'll take that as a 'no' then.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am
I'll take that as a 'no' then.
Take it however you like. I couldn't care less!

Huff n puff all you like, but anything you have to say about brexit will be somewhere between futile and redundant!

The fact is, the next time we play a league match we'll be out of the EU.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 am

The fact is, the next time we play a league match we'll be out of the EU.
And it will be February.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:39 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 am
And it will be February.
Correct, and despite the hysterical predictions of economic armageddon, stock and housing market crashes, planes not being able to take off and land etc., the sky will not have fallen in.

Roll on next friday.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm

dsr wrote:
The forms exist. What the article was talking about was that businesses that used to fill in export forms to the EU will instead have to fill in export forms to the rest of the world; and businesses that previously exported to the EU only will have to learn a new way of doing it.

The system for reporting exports to the rest of the world is already fully in place and fully operational. There is no implementation difficulty re. the paperwork.
There's a significant additional level of documentation required for any third party export to the EU than an internal EU sale though, it's not just a matter of filling in one form rather than another form. However, as the deal hasn't been decided we don't know what the information will be (for instance being in a customs union would have quite different requirements). You're pretty much the only person, pro or anti Brexit, I've seen who thinks it's not an issue.

As someone who has had to leg it round to the tax office to hand deliver computations I'd argue it's streamlining. The vast majority of systems integrate it so long as you're allocating expenditure correctly and it's generally a once a year exercise for your accountant rather than a daily occurrence.

Is that system ready for a doubling of throughput do you think? Is it integrated with the EU system?

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:01 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 pm
It is a decent article, thanks for linking it.

People may argue about whether Brexit is good or bad (personally I think it is the best thing to happen to the UK in any of our lifetimes), but we will never know. The real issue at stake is whether the government of the day makes a good or a bad job at benefitting from it, and the jury was always going to be out on that.

Politics is all about the quid pro quo, whether that is HS2, the budget, the trade deals or what to do about Huawai. I sincerely hope we diverge from the EU sufficiently but there is a risk the government will bottle it and seek to preserve what we have rather than chase what we don’t. Free trade is the key, I just bought a new car from the US and part of the cost was a £5,000 tariff to Brussels, so I am instantly £5,000 worse off unless I bought one of the crap German alternatives which I refused to do. That just goes to show how being free of Brussels will make us better off in some ways - we don’t buy everything we need from EU producers.

I feel we can come to a deal on goods like the above, values are smaller, but services are huge. It isn’t just finances either. Things like a UK holiday company operating in France and employing loads of people - will that still be allowed? Ultimately though, the EU would be taking a huge risk by cutting their income tax receipts by discouraging services from operating in EU countries.
Tariffs are only one part of free trade though. There are also the regulatory issues which are, in many ways, more restrictive. Look at chemicals or food for instance: are we going to align with the EU which is generally more restrictive or go for the laxer US requirements.

If we're going to compete with the US, India, China, etc on free trade then we're probably going to have to give up a lot of our general manufacturing or cut environmental, employee, etc protections which would then impact on free trade with the EU.

I'm not particularly ideologically wedded to the EU but one of my issues about leaving is that for the past few years our leadership (and the opposition) has been weak and I have no faith that they have the ability to negotiate a trade deal that will set us on a positive path for the next few generations.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:51 am

Amusing to hear Mike Pompeo talking about a threat to Britain's sovereignty if we use Huawei components in the 5G network. One of his advisers clearly has their finger on the pulse of emotive UK buzzwords.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am

Might get a bottle of this in for friday night
Its french too

https://www.goldemotion.com/products/br ... d-edition/

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

I'm frustrated that I,m not more entrepreneurial. There's obviously a fair bit of brass to be made from selling Brexit related tat.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am
I'm frustrated that I,m not more entrepreneurial. There's obviously a fair bit of brass to be made from selling Brexit related tat.
It's nice that you are starting to see some of the benefits of brexit

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Damo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 am
It's nice that you are starting to see some of the benefits of brexit
If they'd put it on the side of a bus in 2016 the result might not have been quite so close.
This user liked this post: Damo

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:43 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Then again.

And this poor Ringo ******* reckons he's in no way autistic.................

Roll on the 31st indeed, I reckon he'll have a heart attack. :lol:
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:03 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am
Get a stall outside The Big Window on Friday.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 pm

will the Brexit exit day get lost on here in the hullabaloo around the end of yet another transfer window closing?

Personally I see Feb 1st for Brexit and the country being nothing but symbolic and quickly forgotten as nothing will change, especially not the opinions on here.

Yet the same Feb 1st will be cause for celebration or gnashing of teeth and BFC public outcry, therefore a much more important event in my calendar

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 pm
will the Brexit exit day get lost on here in the hullabaloo around the end of yet another transfer window closing?

Personally I see Feb 1st for Brexit and the country being nothing but symbolic and quickly forgotten as nothing will change, especially not the opinions on here.

Yet the same Feb 1st will be cause for celebration or gnashing of teeth and BFC public outcry, therefore a much more important event in my calendar
Leaving the transfer window? Trexit?
This user liked this post: KateR

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:55 pm

No alcohol, forecast to p*ss it down but you can wave flags and donate money. Sounds like Fridays goona be right night to remember

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:15 pm

I've just watched Europe them or Us on BBC 4 presented by Nick Robinson,it's a repeat as it's prior to the referendum,but it does give some interesting background as to how the UK ended up voting out.

It seems to be available on the iplayer if anyone wishes to view.

Tomorrow they're airing The Brexit Storm: Laura Kuenssberg's Inside Story,again a repeat,and i assume that'll be on the iplayer after as well.