Our mentality - both club and fans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Re: Our mentality - both club and fans

Post by Claretmisterg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:49 pm

I think the fact that we started with Wood and Rodriguez and brought McNeill on when we went behind showed a clear desire to win the game. It made perfect sense to give the likes of Brady, Lennon, Long etc. a start to keep them match fit. Unfortunately some performances were below par and the team never fully gelled.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm

I think eventually the wages will take a bigger chunk than the present 65% of turnover , and our ability to buy players will be severely challenged because of our reliance on TV Revenues. We already close to that point, Chester Perry put something up yesterday, about the debt in other clubs..its frightening and I sometimes feel its better to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 pm
We were the second best team in the country in 1962. Getting to the final that year was predictable.
We have also had good runs in both cups in the last 10 or 15 years.
The debate has gone from wanting silverware to getting to a final...to semi final...to a good cup run.

I would love us to reach a final or win a cup but overall we have had a better last 7 years than many of the teams you mention on your list.
The debate hasn't gone from anything to anything but just that they are differently people in the debate with varying opinions.

My view is consistent in that whilst we are in the Premier League we have a credible chance of reaching a final and having a shot at winning it and that soon we will be back in EFL and the chance of a cup final will become more of a dream than a realistic opportunity.

Don't misunderstand me I'm not in agreement with the OP and others by a long shot and I have no issue with mixing the team up a bit and was more than happy with Saturdays team.

What I find frustrating as a fan is that we really don't in my opinion have anywhere near the intensity as we do in league games. That said with the extreme levels of intensity and work rate Dyche and the players have to put in day after day every week just to keep us competitive in this division I can understand why to Dyche and the players the cup matches are a bit of a mental release.

So I have no problem with the teams we select and I understand why Dyche and the team aren't always fully at it in the cup but it doesn't stop me as a fan feeling frustrated and thinking we may look back on this time in 10 years and kick ourselves we didn't maybe have one real good cup run and a Wembley day out

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm

If this Saudi/Newcastle deal goes through there will be another mega rich club in the Prem. It's fast becoming a plaything for foreign, multi billionaires. We can't compete on transfer fees or salaries and the only logical way forward is via our academy and a production line of future talent.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

But that’s like saying we didn’t play with anywhere near the intensity we usually do against Villa, or Chelsea, or Palace etc.
We lose more games than we win so there is always a good chance that we are not going to win in the cup.

I absolutely loved the cup runs under Coyle - some of the most enjoyable games I have seen in 40 years. But a big part of that was because we were the underdog and not in the Premier League. Our players and the crowd was massively up for it and the teams we were playing were often the ones resting players / prioritising other things. When we beat Chelsea Drogba only played to give him a run out after a spell out injured - Terry and Lampard on the bench and a few fringe players starting for them. We are on the other hand put our best team out and were chomping at the bit to cause an upset.
The dynamic changes when you are in the Premier League for us and many other clubs.

Personally I won’t look back on the last 10 years with regret we didn’t do better in the cups simply because the times we have had in the championship and premier league have been far more enjoyable overall than the odd good cup run. My guess is that the fans of a number of the teams you mentioned above would rather have been in our position too.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm

I can understand the changing of team for the cups. I’m one of the fans who want us to go all out for it too. The one concerning thing is what exactly is the point of the second string putting in a shift when playing? They know full well the others will be back in come PL time and they won’t ever be given a chance. If we used the squad more in the PL players won’t be as stale when playing one of their very few games of the season. Players will give more knowing full well they might start the next game or lose their place if they under perform.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Whatever it is you're involved in, whether it's in sport or even outside sport, you have to strive to be the best you can be and to take part at the highest level you possibly can. It's true, there are negatives to being part of the PL, but there are also tons of positives and whether it's the hard, cold cash it brings in, or the pretty much full ground every week, the high profile opponents, the constant media coverage (when did you last hear anything about Swansea or Huddersfield on tele?) or the knock on fiscal benefits to the town (several years ago I saw an article which said having a PL team brought £20 million a year to Swansea's local economy) you simply have to be aiming to be the best you can. Otherwise you have no dreams, no aspirations and nothing to strive for. And that's true even if what we're realistically striving for right now is PL security and perhaps another crack at Europe somewhere down the line. If falling back into the Championship would be preferable as in we'd have more to play for and to aim for, what would that aim actually be? I'd suggest it would be the same as all Championship (and L1 and L2) clubs), to reach the PL and be rated one of the 20 top clubs in England. That's what I dreamed about from the moment we fell out of Div 1 in 1976 and I spent years and years never believing it would happen. Well it's here and I'm enjoying every second, even if winning it really is ultimately beyond us. You cannot ever CONSCIOUSLY give up or settle for second best or there really is no point.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Would to be interesting to know how Watford supporters felt at the end of last years final.

I'd love to see Burnley in the FA Cup final and would have no regrets no matter what the result, but losing 6-0 would be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm
I sometimes feel its better to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
Div 1 is a very small pond. We went there and we became a much smaller fish at the time.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm
Whatever it is you're involved in, whether it's in sport or even outside sport, you have to strive to be the best you can be and to take part at the highest level you possibly can. It's true, there are negatives to being part of the PL, but there are also tons of positives and whether it's the hard, cold cash it brings in, or the pretty much full ground every week, the high profile opponents, the constant media coverage (when did you last hear anything about Swansea or Huddersfield on tele?) or the knock on fiscal benefits to the town (several years ago I saw an article which said having a PL team brought £20 million a year to Swansea's local economy) you simply have to be aiming to be the best you can. Otherwise you have no dreams, no aspirations and nothing to strive for. And that's true even if what we're realistically striving for right now is PL security and perhaps another crack at Europe somewhere down the line. If falling back into the Championship would be preferable as in we'd have more to play for and to aim for, what would that aim actually be? I'd suggest it would be the same as all Championship (and L1 and L2) clubs), to reach the PL and be rated one of the 20 top clubs in England. That's what I dreamed about from the moment we fell out of Div 1 in 1976 and I spent years and years never believing it would happen. Well it's here and I'm enjoying every second, even if winning it really is ultimately beyond us. You cannot ever CONSCIOUSLY give up or settle for second best or there really is no point.
And there is no denying that our recent victory against arguably the biggest club in the world will have been seen around the globe. No amount of time spent in the Championship can get us that kind of exposure!
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Dark Cloud

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 pm

When i really think about it doesn't seem to matter to me. As a fan right now i want to be safe, i worry about being relegated, i am annoyed when we get knocked out of cups and that the FA cup is now an inconvenience.

But.... Really, right now i am looking forward to the Arsenal game, i hope we win and get one over on them for the obvious reasons plus get closer to safety.

10 years ago i was hoping we would beat Chelsea next, that Laws would turn out to be a great choice, that Terry would have a shocker in his current public circumstances and not score a cracking header.

10 years before that i hoped we would beat stoke away (got stuck in traffic and didn't make it to the match) and carry on our amazing run, that Payton would get a hat trick but that all the goals would actually be for us.

10 years before that i was a baby, but i am sure my Dad just wanted to win the next game too and get out of the 4th Div.

in 2030 i just hope there's 92 teams, 4 divisions, that we all still have something to complain about and that we just win the next game whether it be to go up, stay up or get to the next round.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that those who say " money isn't everything " usually have plenty of it !! ;)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm

edlass wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 pm
When i really think about it doesn't seem to matter to me. As a fan right now i want to be safe, i worry about being relegated, i am annoyed when we get knocked out of cups and that the FA cup is now an inconvenience.

But.... Really, right now i am looking forward to the Arsenal game, i hope we win and get one over on them for the obvious reasons plus get closer to safety.

10 years ago i was hoping we would beat Chelsea next, that Laws would turn out to be a great choice, that Terry would have a shocker in his current public circumstances and not score a cracking header.

10 years before that i hoped we would beat stoke away (got stuck in traffic and didn't make it to the match) and carry on our amazing run, that Payton would get a hat trick but that all the goals would actually be for us.

10 years before that i was a baby, but i am sure my Dad just wanted to win the next game too and get out of the 4th Div.

in 2030 i just hope there's 92 teams, 4 divisions, that we all still have something to complain about and that we just win the next game whether it be to go up, stay up or get to the next round.
Excellent post and sums up exactly what being a Football Fan is all about (and not just Burnley either)

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm

JTClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm
We spent 10 years never doing anything in the Championship... I don't understand the mentality of the fans who miss this.
We also spent a long period of doing nothing in the 4th and 3rd division. Certainly don’t miss those days like playing Doncaster at home on a Tuesday night in front of a few thousand fans.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm
We also spent a long period of doing nothing in the 4th and 3rd division. Certainly don’t miss those days like playing Doncaster at home on a Tuesday night in front of a few thousand fans.
I do miss going away to grounds like Doncaster to be honest - used to love it - but I was a lot younger and it was a different era.
If you would have said to me in my 20s would you prefer to be in division one and going away to United, Liverpool etc or any ground that has 4 sides to it (Doncaster didn’t) the answer would be f-uck yes....but why are you asking me such a daft question when we losing against Doncaster and got beat at Rochdale last week !!
This user liked this post: JTClaret

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm
Why, what have Doncaster done to you ? :lol: :lol:

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm

I think the issue is we may be somewhere near our 'ceiling' now. Never going to invest what is needed to progress any further which is understandable - for me this means that as other teams do take the risks to break through their ceiling, we will naturally fall back to where we can financially compete.

I think we will survive for a while yet - just that eventually, 17+ teams will be able to buy a standard of player much better than our ceiling allows.

I will enjoy the ride for now and still enjoy watching Burnley whatever division we are in.

Would enjoy a run in the cup but that simply won't ever be a priority ifor us.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm
Div 1 is a very small pond. We went there and we became a much smaller fish at the time.
Very true

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:09 am
I have this mental picture of a bunch of posters on here, in ten years time whinging about being in the Championship (or lower) and bemoaning the fact we weren't in the Premier League, like we were '10 years ago' beating Man U at Old Trafford etc etc etc.
to be fair, we could get into the Champions league and some would still complain

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Culvert_for_one wrote:
And how long do you think that plan will last? Look at Stoke now
Except Stoke abandoned that plan didn't they? Invested in trying to be a European team, losing their ethos that had delivered such success and crushing the club financially - even with a very wealthy backer.

You're right to ask what's the point, but I don't think you've picked the right targets. The premier league have created this imbalance, that leads to clubs overstretching themselves and going bust, or fans becoming bored of the status quo.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm
Except Stoke abandoned that plan didn't they? Invested in trying to be a European team, losing their ethos that had delivered such success and crushing the club financially - even with a very wealthy backer.

You're right to ask what's the point, but I don't think you've picked the right targets. The premier league have created this imbalance, that leads to clubs overstretching themselves and going bust, or fans becoming bored of the status quo.
The Mark Hughes effect

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am
. Not just be happy where we are but actually want to win this league. It really isn’t that difficult.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought fishing with Dynamite was banned?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm
The Mark Hughes effect
Is this the same Mark Hughes who got Stoke to their highest ever PL finish? Not once, not twice but three times?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Is this the same Mark Hughes who got Stoke to their highest ever PL finish? Not once, not twice but three times?
David O'leary and Risdale got Leeds into the Champions League (semi-final from memory) and look at the mess they created, overspend overspend overspend

No better than the Harry Redknapp approach

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am
That's pretty much the point. We won the Championship, which is silverware, and it appears that we have set a target of never winning any more silverware, ever. I have watched the club for 30 years or so with an astonishing degree of success and winning things - 6 promotions, 2 championships, 2 Wembley wins, and some pretty exciting cup runs. Now the semi-official ambition is to never have any of that, ever again. Which is a shame,m because winning is fun.
Well the 6 promotions were at levels we can compete in, the 2 Wembley wins were in the old 3rd division and the championship, the 2 championships were the 4th division and the Championship - funded by the fact we could acquire better players due to funds from the premiership.

There are currently only 3 trophies we can win. The premier league, where according to the bookmakers we have a 0.1% chance. The League Cup and The FA Cup. So 2 trophies.

Obviously the easiest way to win things, is drop to a level, through actual mismanagement, not the supposed mismanagement that has the club punching way above it's natural position, to become a big fish in a small pond again. Here's to days out at Oldham and Rochdale, rather that Man Utd and Man City.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Well the 6 promotions were at levels we can compete in, the 2 Wembley wins were in the old 3rd division and the championship, the 2 championships were the 4th division and the Championship - funded by the fact we could acquire better players due to funds from the premiership.

There are currently only 3 trophies we can win. The premier league, where according to the bookmakers we have a 0.1% chance. The League Cup and The FA Cup. So 2 trophies.

Obviously the easiest way to win things, is drop to a level, through actual mismanagement, not the supposed mismanagement that has the club punching way above it's natural position, to become a big fish in a small pond again. Here's to days out at Oldham and Rochdale, rather that Man Utd and Man City.
in a different way those days out were brilliant. I'd take terracing over seats any day of the week !

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm
in a different way those days out were brilliant. I'd take terracing over seats any day of the week !
They were, but not when you've had the recent experiences surely? As good as a win at Carlisle was, if you were to compare it to a recent win at Old Trafford - it wouldn't be comparable, surely?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm
They were, but not when you've had the recent experiences surely? As good as a win at Carlisle was, if you were to compare it to a recent win at Old Trafford - it wouldn't be comparable, surely?
Probably not, but looking at our away followings this year I'd say the novelty of visiting the big grounds has worn off now. Personally I hate the big grounds that are full of corporates and tourists with their 50/50 scarves. Find it more enjoyable visiting an old school ground that is a bit of a dump, but each to their own. This doesn't mean I want to get relegated BTW.
Last edited by jrgbfc on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Bosscat wrote:
I have this mental picture of a bunch of posters on here, in ten years time whinging about being in the Championship (or lower) and bemoaning the fact we weren't in the Premier League, like we were '10 years ago' beating Man U at Old Trafford etc etc etc.
I can think of at least one who would have been better off staying under the culvert, because everything about the club seems rather negative to them.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Juan Tanamera

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Yep, and their fans will be living on the memories of those seasons for many years to come as things get leaner and leaner in the potteries and SOME may well just wish they'd enjoyed it and savoured it a little more at the time! ;)

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:04 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm
notice I compared the viewing situation rather than the football !!

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:06 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm
Probably not, but looking at our away followings this year I'd say the novelty of visiting the big grounds has worn off now. Personally I hate the big grounds that are full of corporates and tourists with their 50/50 scarves. Find it more enjoyable visiting an old school ground that is a bit of a dump, but each to their own. This doesn't mean I want to get relegated BTW.
The latest view at Spurs was fantastic, despite everyone standing.

Whereas I could barely see at Goodison Park on Boxing day due to everyone standing.

Culvert_for_one
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Culvert_for_one » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:19 pm
I can think of at least one who would have been better off staying under the culvert, because everything about the club seems rather negative to them.
Yeah I do think it’s negative not to have a go at the league cup or fa cup.

Culvert_for_one
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Culvert_for_one » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:05 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 am
Fantastic post and my thoughts entirely as I have often said. We are not going to win the PL and many on here have even said they don't want European football because it takes away from the PL 'effort'. So what do these people want? The only thing I can think is the money but even that is illusory because even WITH the PL money we can't compete for honours so what do we do, simply settle for 'survival' every season? We have already seen the 'novelty' effect wearing off with gates falling slightly. Of course we always have to strive to be the best we can, but in ALL competitions, not just one we can never win.
I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday to see both Wood and JR playing but then I looked at our left side, where about 65% of our normal wing play comes from. Taylor gone. McNeil gone. To be fair on first look it seemed like a fair attempt at taking things seriously until you look at our main threat from the left, or lack of it.
Watching Walters on the wing in Istanbul was a personal low :lol:

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 am
Fantastic post and my thoughts entirely as I have often said. We are not going to win the PL and many on here have even said they don't want European football because it takes away from the PL 'effort'. So what do these people want? The only thing I can think is the money but even that is illusory because even WITH the PL money we can't compete for honours so what do we do, simply settle for 'survival' every season? We have already seen the 'novelty' effect wearing off with gates falling slightly. Of course we always have to strive to be the best we can, but in ALL competitions, not just one we can never win.
I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday to see both Wood and JR playing but then I looked at our left side, where about 65% of our normal wing play comes from. Taylor gone. McNeil gone. To be fair on first look it seemed like a fair attempt at taking things seriously until you look at our main threat from the left, or lack of it.
Did “many” on here say they didn’t want Europa league football ? I don’t remember it that way - all the fans I know were delighted we were in Europe.

Re Norwich I agree that we should have played at least one of Taylor or McNeil. Probably Taylor as Dwight looked a bit leggy v United. But we should still have had enough against a team who if you count their keeper were missing their 5 best players this season.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:35 am

I think it's too one dimensional to only think about winning trophies or competitions. There's plenty of teams, some of which with European cup wins to their name that would trade positions with us in a heartbeat.

For me the fun in supporting us is watching the club grow, our reputation, our worth and our future. The longer we survive in the premier league the more money we will be able to invest in better facilities, better staff and better players. In turn the gradual growth we make could eventually put us in a situation where we have an even more competitive squad to finish higher and even to have a better go at the cups.

If we get relegated we will go back to being tight with money and having to sell our best players again. The reduction in income will harm our growth dramatically and make signing better players even harder than it is now.

I used to agree after promotion that it was more fun in the championship but I've realised there's much more to staying in this division than each game or result. For me it's about what's best for our future and what gives us the biggest opportunity become a seasoned premier league team, something that no one else has been able to do without masses of investment.

If we can manage that then it will be a remarkable achievement and no longer will we be considered "little ol Burnley" but a team with a strong backbone and years of near guaranteed survival ahead of them.

If we do ever reach that point (and we've already done the hard bits) then the time will come when we can complete and there's no reason why we can't get to the point where we're strong enough for a good cup run be it European or Domestic.

The way I read things right now is fans aren't looking to the future enough and need to look out of the box a bit more. Patience is required and it's normal for it not to be a smooth ride but we are slowly moving towards future success that has never been achieved in the same circumstances by any other premier league team.

Claretlad
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 216 times

Post by Claretlad » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:02 am

I like to enjoy the now and not the then and could be's

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 am

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Did “many” on here say they didn’t want Europa league football ? I don’t remember it that way - all the fans I know were delighted we were in Europe.

Re Norwich I agree that we should have played at least one of Taylor or McNeil. Probably Taylor as Dwight looked a bit leggy v United. But we should still have had enough against a team who if you count their keeper were missing their 5 best players this season.
I think most were intially pleased when we got into Europe but there have been many (and I mean many - or at least maybe many posts from a few) on here who have since thought it was a bad thing for us and even in the last few days I have seen posts hoping it doesn't happen again any time soon.
On McNeil I think you are right he hasn't really looked at his best for a game or two and a rest was possibly a good thing. When you think how he was thrust into the thick of what was a relegation battle last season and the way he has shone for us he probably deserved a week off.

All that said please please please let's do for the cheating Gooners at weekend - a win in that one would please me as much as the win at United - we are surely due to stuff them at some point given that we normally seem to play well against them and then comes injury time and the professional cheating academy they seem to have there.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am

Agree - would love to beat Arsenal or even getting a draw with them would be nice !
Unfortunately for us we seem to be playing them at a point when Arteta has instilled a bit of fight and organisation into them. Even Martin Keown who has been super critical of the current side has been very impressed with what Arteta has done in such a short space of time.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am

I just enjoy one game at a time.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm

I think I'd like to be in the Premier league along with Stoke Norwich and Notts County, but without Liverpool man United and Chelsea who had all decided to go and play in the new 12 team European super leaguee that they were invited to join that had gone tits up after 3 years because their true fans had got bored of playing the same teams every week, with no relegation but less games so the darlings weren't tired and the top European players wouldn't sign for them as our weather is rubbish and the pound was shite after Brexit.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Congratulations to Aston Villa tonight. Newly promoted team in with a real shout of staying up and now reached a major cup final and one win away from Europe.

Could be an outstanding season for them if they can just grab 16th or 17th and bet they'll be a few sore heads to go with the smiling faces walking into work tomorrow morning
This user liked this post: tim_noone

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 pm

A decent return on their £120m investment......

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 pm
Congratulations to Aston Villa tonight. Newly promoted team in with a real shout of staying up and now reached a major cup final and one win away from Europe.

Could be an outstanding season for them if they can just grab 16th or 17th and bet they'll be a few sore heads to go with the smiling faces walking into work tomorrow morning
Have you not heard? Any kind of a cup run results in automatic relegation apparently.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 pm
Have you not heard? Any kind of a cup run results in automatic relegation apparently.
Clearly nobody told Dean Smith,time will tell if Villa suffer in the league or not,but tonight must have given them a huge boost.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm
Clearly nobody told Dean Smith,time will tell if Villa suffer in the league or not,but tonight must have given them a huge boost.
Big game for them away to Bournemouth on Saturday.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:

Poor Tom missing a Wembley Final now.... not a lot of luck for the lad

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm
I can understand the changing of team for the cups. I’m one of the fans who want us to go all out for it too. The one concerning thing is what exactly is the point of the second string putting in a shift when playing? They know full well the others will be back in come PL time and they won’t ever be given a chance. If we used the squad more in the PL players won’t be as stale when playing one of their very few games of the season. Players will give more knowing full well they might start the next game or lose their place if they under perform.
The reason they may want to show the manager they can perform at an acceptable level is to give the manager pause for thought when looking at his matchday bench for who might affect the game if brought on as a sub, or who might do better than a player who is out of form or injured. If you have shown you will put in a half-arsed effort then you haven't shown why you deserve to be given a chance at a starting position.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 am

yeah congrats Villa, amazing what can be achieved when you are backed by one of the worlds super powers

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:23 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:

Outstanding season?

Give over. They've spent £120 million to float around the bottom of the prem and will get destroyed in the final (if they play Man city) so your point about Europe is irrelevant.

When you spend that much you should expect far better than what their mediocre manager has produced so far this season.

And do you think it can be classed as an outstanding season if they finish below Sheff United?