BFC TRANSFER NEWS Jan 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS Jan 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:42 am

Wonder if we'll be trying to loan out players like Goodridge & Koiki before the close of the window to get them playing some first team football? Or will they be needed as back up in case we get injuries/suspensions?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am

Can we not give 'em a few quid more and get Eliasson too? Most assists in the Championship (I THINK) and would be great for the likes of Wood in particular.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:51 am

creepingdeath wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:12 am
Waiting for the first “anyone else underwhelmed by this brownhill signing”......

Who’s your money on?
Tbh I'm not Exactly "overwhelmed"
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:52 am

I am merely whelmed...

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:55 am

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:56 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:40 am
I wonder if our recruitment team will get any credit for this deal (should it happen)?

Midfielder.
Good age.
Leader.
The foresight to replace Hendrick before he most probably leaves.
Using Wells whilst his stock is high as a make-weight to encourage Bristol City to deal.
Selling Wells at a value that means we don't have to pay anything to Huddersfield.

I'm not saying that our recruitment is amazing and that we don't require any further additions....but maybe they have done well on this deal.
Agree with this. It’s not bad business at all and replaces a player that was never going to play for us with one who might. I can’t see him slipping straight in to the team though and is presumably one bought now to act as cover and work with over the coming months, perhaps for next season.

As for whether it’s a good deal, much depends on whether it’s a deal “up to £10m” or £10m. If we’ve paid £3m over his release clause in summer, that seems high to me. I know everyone thinks £4m for Wells is a good deal and I can see their point, but equally I doubt any other Championship club would sell (or be able to buy) a striker that is in-form and scored 15 goals by Jan for £4m!!! So I agree a £7m valuation was fairer... or justifiable at least.

Hoping it’s Wells + £3m guaranteed and £3m in add-ons, in which case great deal.

Would love a pacy right winger now, with Gibson staying And perhaps Vydra moving on, and would feel it has been a good window.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:02 am

claretspice wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 am
It doesn't take Sherlock to see weve compromised on Wells' value - to release the deal for Brownhill, and in the process effectively shared between BFC and BCFC the value that would have otherwise gone to Huddersfield under their sell on. "Up to" 10m for Brownhill presumably means significantly less up front with the balance depending on appearances, survival etc. It all sounds like good business to me.
There's no evidence to suggest this at all. Wells is an average Championship striker nearing his 30's and with only 6 months left of his contract. Lucky for us he's had a great half season which has allowed us to do some phenomenal business in getting £4m for him.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 am

Wells is one of the best strikers to have played in the Championship this season. And has the most goals per minutes played ratio.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 am

i just hope the lad gets plenty of first team game time.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 am

I don’t care about the structure of the deal. Its affordable and within our current wage bill / transfer budgets.

Main thing is that we have got in a new midfielder that looks a good player and we have got rid of a player who was further away from the team than Vydra !

None of us know the exact details of the deal so best to just be happy with the signing
These 4 users liked this post: SalisburyClaret Dark Cloud 1914tyroneagain Taffy on the wing

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am

I’m looking forward to seeing Brownhill in a Claret shirt

At first, I accept that I may need to wait until the 89th minute to do so

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:17 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am
I’m looking forward to seeing Brownhill in a Claret shirt

At first, I accept that I may need to wait until the 89th minute to do so
By "at first" do you mean the next 3 years?? ;)
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 am

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 am
I don’t care about the structure of the deal. Its affordable and within our current wage bill / transfer budgets.

Main thing is that we have got in a new midfielder that looks a good player and we have got rid of a player who was further away from the team than Vydra !

None of us know the exact details of the deal so best to just be happy with the signing
Fair point.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 am

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:51 am
Tbh I'm not Exactly "overwhelmed"
TBF Tim, it's far better than us doing nothing (again!) whilst our options in midfield dwindle and dwindle to the point where we play Cork and Westwood whatever their form (because we HAVE to) or we shuffle the deck chairs around a bit whilst the ship heads for the iceberg. At least we're giving ourselves an alternative and he might just turn out to be SD's next Championship gem in the footsteps of Heaton, JBG, Wood, Barnes etc (Or may not, like Vydra and Wells!!!)

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 am

Happy to get a deal done. I’ll take him, he’s a decent player and we could get years of good service out of him if he’s successful.

The real overhaul must be done in summer.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 am

It's certainly a step in the right direction, as it looks like he'll replace Hendrick, given they play similar roles, but he's only 24 so it also brings down the age average a bit and he has a sell on fee. So it ticks quite a few boxes.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am

I’d still like Hendrick to sign again, we are light in CM.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:02 pm

It's looking unlikely. So we'll need another CM in the summer, ideally. We can't go through a season with just Brownhill, Cork and Westwood. Even if McNeil was the 4th CM, we'd need another winger, as Brady doesn't look good enough. If Hart, Gibson, Hendrick and Vydra leave, I'd say we'll need at least 3 new faces in the summer - maybe even 4-5 when you look at the right-back/right-mid situation (although Brownhill may be also cover for RM).

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Relieved to see one this moving towards completion. We couldn't go into the final stretch with only three midfielders.

Brownhill is a good player who will offer us some interesting new tactical options going forward. The fact that we might actually sign a player with holding value and the potential to increase in value is also welcome.

The addition of Brownhill will also allow us to break up the strangle hold that Cork and Westwood have enjoyed on the central midfield slots. Hendrick has frequently been asked to play up front or out on the right, which aren't his natural or preferred positions. He was the best candidate from our limited options, noble enough to put the team ahead of his own preferences and courageous enough to shoulder the abuse that accompanied playing out of position.

Hopefully, the arrival of Brownhill will give Hendrick more opportunities to play in the middle of the pitch which could benefit us. Signing Hendrick up to a new deal would be the midfield icing on the cake for this window. He is a hugely under rated player and a very important one for us. As time moves on that looks less and less likely, which would put us back to square one for the Summer and leave us heavily out of pocket. Losing Hendrick on a free transfer to another team, when we could have sold him, will also raise questions about our transfer strategy. We can't afford to let valuable players leave for nothing.

Wells going the other way is a nice move for the player and both clubs.

I'm disappointed with the cash figures being mentioned though. £4m for Wells is extremely cheap, given that we paid £10m for Jay in the Summer ( who is of a similar age, and had a less impressive goal scoring record for last season, when you take out the soft penalties ). £6m less, in the window that carries a price premium for " on form " strikers, is very low. Especially, when you consider the difference Nahki could make to Bristol City in terms of a promotion push and the lucrative benefits that would accompany promotion.

£10m was a top whack price for Brownhill, given his contract clause.

Happy with the swap, but it seems like Bristol stuck to their guns and held out for the best price they could get for Brownhill while we dropped our asking price for Wells. Stringing things along until QPR and Forrest pulled out probably didn't help our negotiating hand.

Then again, the figures being quoted are by the media. Hopefully, they are wrong and we played our fairly strong hand better.

Ticking the box for a fourth midfielder is a relief. Although I wouldn't call this window a success for the recruitment team if that is all we do. I don't buy into the media story of a " dry window ". Other teams are spending less ( because one or two transfers from the big teams can radically adjust the cash total and they are promoting more from within ), but that is just a figure. It doesn't reflect on the business that could be done.

The Winter window has never been susceptible to the domino effect. It has always been more about picking up hidden gems and spotting under the radar opportunities. Teams that are heavily focussed on headline grabbing players, and the obvious statistical front runners, will struggle to do business in the Winter window. Those players are going nowhere and if they do the price premium attached to them will be excessive. Getting something out of the Winter window requires quality recruitment, which goes beyond rudimentary cream skimming, but it can be done.

The fact that the entirety of our business in this window might revolve around an opportunity that dropped into our lap is very concerning. We can't rely on lady luck to keep stepping up to the plate to do our job for us.

It isn't done until we see the shirt holding photos.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 pm

We don't need to replace Hart other than with a 3rd choice keeper if Legzdins moves on but I agree we need a RB assuming Bardsley leaves, a replacement for Gibson if he leaves for let us not forget the fact that Tarks may be off this summer and if that is the case we may need two centre halves. Then there is the issue of another striker when Vydra has gone and would we be keeping Lennon who is OOC this summer.
There is a big shopping list which we can ill afford IMO given the transfer fees these days. Desperately need a couple of the youngsters to come through this summer. Likley outgoings
Hart, Legzdins, Bardsley, Lennon, Vydra, Gibson, Hendrick and maybe Tarks.
Maybe 8 out with money in for Vydra, Gibson and Tarks
Cost of 6 or 7 in with that scenario?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I know I love a moan now and again but are people really moaning about this deal?

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 pm
I'm disappointed with the cash figures being mentioned though. £4m for Wells is extremely cheap, given that we paid £10m for Jay in the Summer ( who is of a similar age, and had a less impressive goal scoring record for last season, when you take out the soft penalties ). £6m less, in the window that carries a price premium for " on form " strikers, is very low. Especially, when you consider the difference Nahki could make to Bristol City in terms of a promotion push and the lucrative benefits that would accompany promotion.
Don't forget to factor in that Rodriguez is a much better player with a proven Premier League track record.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Relieved to see one this moving towards completion. We couldn't go into the final stretch with only three midfielders.

Brownhill is a good player who will offer us some interesting new tactical options going forward. The fact that we might actually sign a player with holding value and the potential to increase in value is also welcome.

The addition of Brownhill will also allow us to break up the strangle hold that Cork and Westwood have enjoyed on the central midfield slots. Hendrick has frequently been asked to play up front or out on the right, which aren't his natural or preferred positions. He was the best candidate from our limited options, noble enough to put the team ahead of his own preferences and courageous enough to shoulder the abuse that accompanied playing out of position.

Hopefully, the arrival of Brownhill will give Hendrick more opportunities to play in the middle of the pitch which could benefit us. Signing Hendrick up to a new deal would be the midfield icing on the cake for this window. He is a hugely under rated player and a very important one for us. As time moves on that looks less and less likely, which would put us back to square one for the Summer and leave us heavily out of pocket. Losing Hendrick on a free transfer to another team, when we could have sold him, will also raise questions about our transfer strategy. We can't afford to let valuable players leave for nothing.

Happy with the swap, but it seems like Bristol stuck to their guns and held out for the best price they could get for Brownhill while we dropped our asking price for Wells. Stringing things along until QPR and Forrest pulled out probably didn't help our negotiating hand.

Then again, the figures being quoted are by the media. Hopefully, they are wrong and we played our fairly strong hand better.

Ticking the box for a fourth midfielder is a relief. Although I wouldn't call this window a success for the recruitment team if that is all we do. I don't buy into the media story of a " dry window ". Other teams are spending less ( because one or two transfers from the big teams can radically adjust the cash total and they are promoting more from within ), but that is just a figure. It doesn't reflect on the business that could be done.

The Winter window has never been susceptible to the domino effect. It has always been more about picking up hidden gems and spotting under the radar opportunities. Teams that are heavily focussed on headline grabbing players, and the obvious statistical front runners, will struggle to do business in the Winter window. Those players are going nowhere and if they do the price premium attached to them will be excessive. Getting something out of the Winter window requires quality recruitment, which goes beyond rudimentary cream skimming, but it can be done.

The fact that the entirety of our business in this window might revolve around an opportunity that dropped into our lap is very concerning. We can't rely on lady luck to keep stepping up to the plate to do our job for us.

You know, the danger is that people think you know more than you do and assume that the above is accurate. It isn't.

Your conclusions on the negotiations - that Bristol City have got their cake (Wells) and eaten it (Brownhill) are wild and not substantiated by anything. It involves repeating a number (£10 million) which has been quoted as the maximum final price for Brownhill and recasting it as the actual amount we're paying now. There are suggestions around online that the up front cost of Brownhill is £6 million and the rest is based on results.

Your insinuation that the only reason we've done any business this window is "because something fell into our lap" is similarly lacking in substantiation. The most reasonable conclusion is that we were in the market for various options in midfield (Dyche has been very clear about wanting 2 players in each position and apart from anything else, we've also been linked with Allen), but we pursued this one because (i) he was a preferred target and (ii) there was a realistic chance of doing the deal because of Wells. That's not luck at all.

If it goes through, it looks as though we've brought in a good player, at a good time, who is a good age, as part of an overall financial deal involving Wells that is good for Burnley. The mealy mouthed "well its a start but the club got lucky and overpaid" line is poor form and needs to be called out in the interests of accuracy.
These 6 users liked this post: mdd2 Holtyclaret KateR TsarBomba Braindead Colburn_Claret

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 pm

The good news with this signing is the average age of the squad falls by about 3 months

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 pm
I know I love a moan now and again but are people really moaning about this deal?
Now and again ???? :) :) :)
This user liked this post: Zlatan

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:31 pm

claretspice wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 pm
You know, the danger is that people think you know more than you do and assume that the above is accurate.
Pot kettle black.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank tim_noone

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 pm

WestMidsClaret wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:31 pm
Pot kettle black.
Difference between having opinions on what happens on the pitch, which everyone can see and are free to agree or disagree on as a result, and making claims/drawing conclusions about how transfer business is conducted behind closed doors which simply aren't substantiated in fact.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:34 pm

claretspice wrote:
You know, the danger is that people think you know more than you do and assume that the above is accurate.
I don’t think any of us are in danger !

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm

claretspice wrote:

Your conclusions on the negotiations - that Bristol City have got their cake (Wells) and eaten it (Brownhill) are wild and not substantiated by anything. It involves repeating a number (£10 million) which has been quoted as the maximum final price for Brownhill and recasting it as the actual amount we're paying now. There are suggestions around online that the up front cost of Brownhill is £6 million and the rest is based on results.
I did address that.
Long Time Lurker wrote:

In realtion to
claretspice wrote:

Your insinuation that the only reason we've done any business this window is "because something fell into our lap" is similarly lacking in substantiation. The most reasonable conclusion is that we were in the market for various options in midfield (Dyche has been very clear about wanting 2 players in each position and apart from anything else, we've also been linked with Allen), but we pursued this one because (i) he was a preferred target and (ii) there was a realistic chance of doing the deal because of Wells. That's not luck at all.

If it goes through, it looks as though we've brought in a good player, at a good time, who is a good age, as part of an overall financial deal involving Wells that is good for Burnley. The mealy mouthed "well its a start but the club got lucky and overpaid" line is poor form and needs to be called out in the interests of accuracy.
I think our overall strategy of not looking to do much in this window was clearly communicated to us by the club. And the circumstances surrounding a Brownhill for Wells deal were incredible fortuitous on a number of fronts.

Drinkwater unexpectedly left
Wells played superbly for QPR
Brownhill had a realese clause
Bristol City are pushing for promotion
Bristol City needed a striker
We needed a midfielder

The stars really did align for us and Bristol City on this one. That isn't planning and foresight, it is luck ( apart from the performance of Nahki at QPR ).

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Wells was a good Championship player and maybe in this league too but he was crocked when we signed him but is clearly back to the form he had before he broke a bone in his foot in 2017

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 pm

[quote="Long Time Lurker" I think our overall strategy of not looking to do much in this window was clearly communicated to us by the club. And the circumstances surrounding a Brownhill for Wells deal were incredible fortuitous on a number of fronts.

We needed a midfielder

The stars really did align for us and Bristol City on this one. That isn't planning and foresight, it is luck ( apart from the performance of Nahki at QPR ).
[/quote]

1) Drinkwater didn't unexpectedly leave
2) Not luck as you say
3) Common - not luck
4) Not luck
5) Yeah don't many clubs - not luck
6) Er, yeah.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm
I did address that.

In realtion to

I think our overall strategy of not looking to do much in this window was clearly communicated to us by the club. And the circumstances surrounding a Brownhill for Wells deal were incredible fortuitous on a number of fronts.

We needed a midfielder

The fees you quoted for Brownhill in particular were sensationalist. It isn't a question of the figures quoted in the media being wrong for your assessment to also be inaccurate, it's a question of the way you've used the figures quoted, whether they be right or wrong.

As for the list of things you've claimed to be fortunate turns of events - I'm not sure any of those were a matter of fortune for us. I'm not sure we know Drinkwater left unexpectedly and that we weren't already looking to strengthen in midfield (an assumption there our business is wholly reactive). Wells was a player we signed based on his championship form in the hope he might step up a level, so it's hardly luck that he's scoring goals again in the Championship. And so on.

I find some of your posts about players we might be interested in, interesting. I just don't appreciate the tendency to seek to undermine anything and everything the club do in the transfer market, which often involves presenting some pretty fundamental guesses as fact.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Wells too small for prem up front so it’s probably a good decision, we need to loan Brady and possibly Gibson out to get their values back up ready for sales or a place back in the first team as and when other players leave.

We should loan our fringe players out a lot more given how well Wells has done at QPR, bit of a no brainier that one.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
I did address that.

In realtion to

We needed a midfielder

I think the problem is we need abit of an overhaul and the January window isn’t the place to really sell or buy players because of the overall lack of business.

I said the other day Brady Lennon Lowton Gibson Wells Hart Vydra need shipping out to free up funds and allow for a little more wiggle room in the wage budget while adding genuine first 11 players. I’m bored of us wasting funds on players like Wells Vydra etc. I would rather wait to get the right players in while recouping as much funds as possible.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Wells was a poor signing in the first instance, as said by myself and plenty of others at the time.

For us to get our money back (near enough) three years on with the guy nearing 30, after ONE good half season (his loan last season he was pretty rubbish?) is fantastic business.

The fact we have managed to get a long term target in part exchange (Brownhill was scouted as a teenager at Preston by Dyche, in fact I think it may have made the nationals at the time) makes it even better business. We have got rid of someone we didn't want anymore and improved our midfield reserves. I think, from what I have seen of the player, he will get into our first eleven sooner rather than later and he also begins the much needed process of lowering the average age of our squad.

A great first step by the on field team in re-energising our squad.
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret Holtyclaret

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Brady Lennon Lowton Gibson Wells Hart Vydra- how much will they bring in as Hart and Lennon OOC this summer. Then having managed to decide how much we would get, what could we buy for that, one, two or three players? Leaves us a squad of 17-19

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm
Wells was a poor signing in the first instance, as said by myself and plenty of others at the time.

For us to get our money back (near enough) three years on with the guy nearing 30, after ONE good half season (his loan last season he was pretty rubbish?) is fantastic business.

The fact we have managed to get a long term target in part exchange (Brownhill was scouted as a teenager at Preston by Dyche, in fact I think it may have made the nationals at the time) makes it even better business. We have got rid of someone we didn't want anymore and improved our midfield reserves. I think, from what I have seen of the player, he will get into our first eleven sooner rather than later and he also begins the much needed process of lowering the average age of our squad.

A great first step by the on field team in re-energising our squad.
talking sense stop you must...

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm
I think the problem is we need abit of an overhaul and the January window isn’t the place to really sell or buy players because of the overall lack of business.

I said the other day Brady Lennon Lowton Gibson Wells Hart Vydra need shipping out to free up funds and allow for a little more wiggle room in the wage budget while adding genuine first 11 players. I’m bored of us wasting funds on players like Wells Vydra etc. I would rather wait to get the right players in while recouping as much funds as possible.
With the benefit of hindsight it's easy to reach conclusions about wasting funds. But the reality is we need a strong squad and it has just so happened that a lack of injuries has severely restricted the opportunity for fringe players. But if there had been injuries in key positions without good cover Dyche would have been severely criticised by the same people. Gibson being a prime example which I maintain was an astute signing at the time.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 pm

taio wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm
With the benefit of hindsight it's easy to reach conclusions about wasting funds. But the reality is we need a strong squad and it has just so happened that a lack of injuries has severely restricted the opportunity for fringe players. But if there had been injuries in key positions without good cover Dyche would have been severely criticised by the same people. Gibson being a prime example which I maintain was an astute signing at the time.
But even with injuries, was Wells ever likely to be good enough? many on here at the time didn’t think so. In my opinion I’d like to see us sign first team ready players and use the current squad as replacements. £15M on a 3rd choice defender was never an astute signing really regardless of how good I believe Gibson is.

Continuing to sign fringe players on big wages isn’t a smart strategy imo, instead of signing Bardsley as back up to Lowton id have liked to see us sign a replacement for Lowton and make Lowton the back up fringe player.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:21 pm

All gone a bit quiet on Gibson? For what it's worth I think he'll stay till summer and then leave on a permanent deal.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:21 pm
All gone a bit quiet on Gibson? For what it's worth I think he'll stay till summer and then leave on a permanent deal.
Not if Tarks goes surely?

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 pm

A debate between Long Time Lurker and claretspice?!

These 5 users liked this post: Zlatan Hipper FactualFrank Long Time Lurker tim_noone

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:29 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 pm
But even with injuries, was Wells ever likely to be good enough? many on here at the time didn’t think so. In my opinion I’d like to see us sign first team ready players and use the current squad as replacements. £15M on a 3rd choice defender was never an astute signing really regardless of how good I believe Gibson is.

Continuing to sign fringe players on big wages isn’t a smart strategy imo, instead of signing Bardsley as back up to Lowton id have liked to see us sign a replacement for Lowton and make Lowton the back up fringe player.
Wasn't James Tarkowski signed for a near-record fee as a third defender behind Mee and Keane, in the expectation that Keane would go? Gibson was probably done on the same basis, that when Tarkowski is bought by a richer club, Gibson will step in. Except Tarkowski (I'm pleased to say) hasn't gone.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:34 pm

There was also the question of Mee not re-signing too when we signed Gibson if I recall.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

I think our overall strategy of not looking to do much in this window was clearly communicated to us by the club.
Hi Long Time, just this statement: surely we all know that what Sean Dyche says in response to a question about the club's transfer window plans is often "said in jest." I take it what Sean really means is "don't ask..... because I don't want to tell you...."

My philosophy: Burnley are in the Premier League. I believe we can safely assume that that matches the directors' ambitions for the club - it certainly matches the ambitions of most of us fans. So, the directors will do what they can and what needs to be done to keep the club in the Premier League - without taking a gamble that may lose everything. The rest, it will be done as privately and quietly as they can do it - because that's one of the ways that gives the club the most chance of success.

And, we compete every season with 20 other clubs who all have ambitions to remain in the Premier League - and 6 or 7 (maybe more) have ambitions to finish in the top 4. We all know that 3 clubs get relegated every season. We all know that there are only 4 top 4 finishers. And, that's all the fun of the competition.

Played 24, 30 points - that's a great position to be in. 14 games to play, maybe 40 points will be a bit short of safety this season. We will know in 14 games time. Played 24, 24 points, which it could have been but for the last 2 wins, and we'd all be a little more concerned.

UTC
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:37 pm

FAO LTL.
What is to say our Wells sale doesn’t have bonuses based on promotion. We are also salary = on the deal, approximately.
All hypothetical. As usual we are in the dark and I have no problem with that.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:51 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:34 pm
There was also the question of Mee not re-signing too when we signed Gibson if I recall.
That’s correct - but it’s always conveniently forgotten by those adamant on criticising the transfer strategy at every opportunity.
Before we signed Gibson I also remember the outcry that we only had 3 centre backs at the club and one of them was Kevin Long.
When we signed Gibson I can’t think of anyone who did not think it was anything but a good signing.

It’s not worked out for him or us just like it does not work out for a lot of players at every single club. Fortunately for Burnley it has been paid for out of our well managed budgets and the money we made on sales of other players etc. If we were losing the money on Gibson and that was adding to a spiralling debt that would be a much bigger issue.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

What a load of waffle, untruths and agenda driven tripe. I’d say you couldn’t make it up but you just did.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Really can’t see what there is to moan about over this deal with Wells and Brownhill. On face of it seems to suit all parties.
These 3 users liked this post: Holtyclaret FactualFrank Taffy on the wing

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:15 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:59 am
Cant believe we are getting 4 million for Wells to be honest - thats a good deal
Boysie has had his account hacked
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Burnleyareback2