Gibson training at Middlesbrough

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Gibson training at Middlesbrough

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 am
I get that, I wasn't disputing that fact I was doubting the figure quoted, the point I was making is, you could have 2 clubs offering the same amount, 1 in the north & 1 in the south, if he's already in situ fixture & fittings you could offer perhaps more & he still wouldn't come, uprooting & upping sticks is a massive hassle.
You might be surprised how much hassle people will put up with for an extra million or two per year!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm
Do you really think we bought him with the intention of him being back-up or third choice?

The size of the fee, the ever increasing going rate for a highly rated defender, meant we had every intention of him being a starting regular. However, due to the form of Mee and Tarkowski…..

I've only quoted part of your post, because this is where your point goes void.
I've no time to go back, but post West Ham last season I'd say ( and said previously ) if Gibson wasn't going to get a run of games then, then he never was.
We were awful, and the CB were just as capable for the chop as Lowton and Hart

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm
The problem is that if you cave into the demands of one player it can encourage other players to do the same. The price of defenders has gone up since we bought him, so I can't see why we wouldn't expect to recoup at least what we paid for Gibson if he does move on in the next window. With two years left on his contract he isn't in a very strong position, unless he feels like spending those two years on the bench.

I thought he was a good signing for us. As others have said, his opportunities to play have been hampered by bad luck on a number of ocassions. When the opportunities for playing time have arisen he hasn't been available, through no fault of his own. However, that doesn't justify professional misconduct in any shape or form.

None of us know what has transpired exactly, but it does appear to be a failure on both sides. If we knew Gibson wanted to go out on loan in the last window, and that denying him that opportunity was going to cause us a problem, we should have handled things a lot better. It makes our initial transfer strategy of " we don't expect to do anything " in the Winter window look even more misguided and nieve than it did at the time.

Leaving the whole matter unresolved until the last days of the window was also a big mistake. We could have looked to bring in a player on loan to facilitate his move to Middlesborough for the remainder of the season. Yes, it would have cost us the wages of the loan player and the difference between his wages here and what Middlesborough could afford, but it would have showed some commitment to Gibson. A six month loan would have also raised his visibility and value to the extent that the potential increase in value could have easily countered the decreased value associated with an " unhappy and wants to move " tag and a lack of playing time.

The more worrying aspect to all of this is how it ties into the general feeling at the club. Looking back a year or so ago we had what appeared to be a very close knit team. Sadly, that appears to have gone out of the window in recent times, with important non playing staff jumping ship, the business with Steve Stone and now this.

What the **** is next on the cards, Madge doing an exclusive London Stadium appearance for Sullivan / Gold wearing only a West Ham scarf?

Something seems to be rotten in the state of Burnley and it needs fixing.

:D :D surely you can attach some blame on Rigg for this, maybe you can claim it is him that is rotting the club.

Transfer window closes and we now get this, open the transfer window quick you sound frustrated

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am

MACCA wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 am
I've no time to go back, but post West Ham last season I'd say ( and said previously ) if Gibson wasn't going to get a run of games then, then he never was.
There really is nothing to see here. So Gibson wouldn't have got a run of games post West Ham if Mee or Tarky left / got injured / suspended?

Utc posters who think they know more about football than Dyche are wasting theirtime on the Gibson saga.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 am
I think Boro will stick with Woodgate a bit longer yet, he's turned the corner a bit after a shocking start, when it looked like he was about to be sacked. Gibson will have to be willing to take a pay cut if he wants to go back there, but think it would be a good move for him. It's got to the stage where he just needs to get back playing football.
Agree, Steve Gibson does give time to managers, let's face it Boro aren't going down or making the playoffs at the end of season it's underwhelming or if he's still there next season there have to get off to a flyer.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:12 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 am
You might be surprised how much hassle people will put up with for an extra million or two per year!
True, it's all guesswork regarding how much he's on & how ingrained in London life he is & the value to that, I think we can all agree he's earning more money at palace than he could at the turf.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Safron wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Let's start a sweep when brownhill gets is first start ,I'll go with April :D
After reading Dyche's statement today i would go for November

Safron
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm
After reading Dyche's statement today i would go for November
Not this April I meant April 21😂😂

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Don't get the obsession that some have with signings automatically playing in the first team.

Say Brownhill doesn't start a game this season it would probably mean that Cork and Westwood have stayed in form, avoided injury and suspension.

The hindsight brigade will be saying waste of money and a shocking signing.

The twitter clarets responses when the team to play arsenal was announced was something else.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm
Don't get the obsession that some have with signings automatically playing in the first team.

Say Brownhill doesn't start a game this season it would probably mean that Cork and Westwood have stayed in form, avoided injury and suspension.

The hindsight brigade will be saying waste of money and a shocking signing.

The twitter clarets responses when the team to play arsenal was announced was something else.
I'd say Brownhill has been signed to be Hendricks replacement, rather than Cork or Westwood.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:41 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm
I'd say Brownhill has been signed to be Hendricks replacement, rather than Cork or Westwood.

I'd say he's been signed because we needed a midfielder.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm
Does that mean that if Hendrick signs on again & plays well, there's going to be another Gibson/Mee situation with a subsequent meltdown on here in 12/18 months time?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm

rob63 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm
Does that mean that if Hendrick signs on again & plays well, there's going to be another Gibson/Mee situation with a subsequent meltdown on here in 12/18 months time?
Maybe :D But I get the feeling Hendrick is on his way this summer.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm
Maybe :D But I get the feeling Hendrick is on his way this summer.
& me, closely followed by his big mate.......no doubt using Hendrick as a scouting party :D

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm

rob63 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm
& me, closely followed by his big mate.......no doubt using Hendrick as a scouting party :D
Brady will be an interesting one, he is out of contract this summer but we have an option on him. Do we exercise that option or try and get him committed to say a three year deal.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm

rob63 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Where you off to Rob?
The three of you off on a Paddy & Max style tour?

rob63

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Goobs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm
Where you off to Rob?
The three of you off on a Paddy & Max style tour?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

rob63

Post by rob63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm
Brady will be an interesting one, he is out of contract this summer but we have an option on him. Do we exercise that option or try and get him committed to say a three year deal.
If they activate the clause without starting negotiations on a new contract it'll be so they can sell him & claw something back for him. If they're unsure about his fitness it'd probably be a 2 year deal or offer him a one year extension on top plus option, which happens sometimes when a player is struggling to get back form after a serious injury. Maybe the board are seeing if there's any interest in the next couple of months, before they make the decision.

Safron

Post by Safron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Unfortunately Brady hasn't found any kind of form when called upon since his injury and a fresh start is probably best for him,can't see him at this level again any time soon,I'm afraid

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 am
Was he even fit then? He came in for the Everton game where we ended up conceding five. It was after that game I believe that Heaton came back in and McNeil was used more regularly and we had an upturn in results.

In other words, Dyche was right not to dispense with Mee or Tarkowski.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 pm
Just for clarification, can you link to any post from 18 months ago in which you advocated signing a past-his-best centre half and replacing Matt Lowton? Because call me suspicious if you will, but I doubt you ever made such a post. I don't think you knew at the time that we didn't need a reserve centre half and that Lowton was going to lose form; my apologies if I am wrong.
Make your mind up, you ask for proof of me advocating signing a central defender as cover then say “I don’t think you knew at the time we didn’t need a reserve centre half”.

For the record, the signing of a centre half was one we needed, I just don’t understand breaking our transfer record on a cover central defender. It’s quite funny the usual posters taking my suggestion of Cahill/Terry quite literally when I clearly meant either someone of that Ilk (old free experience) or a young Tarkowski type on a much lower fee.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am
There really is nothing to see here. So Gibson wouldn't have got a run of games post West Ham if Mee or Tarky left / got injured / suspended?

Utc posters who think they know more about football than Dyche are wasting theirtime on the Gibson saga.
I don’t know how you still haven’t grasped the point, people are unhappy we spent £16m on a cover central defender, forget the player itself, a club record fee on a player as cover is ludicrous for a prudent club like ours.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Safron wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Let's start a sweep when brownhill gets is first start ,I'll go with April :D
Hes more Chance of a start at the Local chippie....so I've heard :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm
I don’t know how you still haven’t grasped the point, people are unhappy we spent £16m on a cover central defender, forget the player itself, a club record fee on a player as cover is ludicrous for a prudent club like ours.
Oh, have you decided he was signed as cover? I hadn't realised you were involved in it to such a degree that you know exactly why he was brought in.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Where did I read he wants to keep an eye on his girlfriend and Mr.Woodgate ?
This user liked this post: Zlatan

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 pm
Make your mind up, you ask for proof of me advocating signing a central defender as cover then say “I don’t think you knew at the time we didn’t need a reserve centre half”.

For the record, the signing of a centre half was one we needed, I just don’t understand breaking our transfer record on a cover central defender. It’s quite funny the usual posters taking my suggestion of Cahill/Terry quite literally when I clearly meant either someone of that Ilk (old free experience) or a young Tarkowski type on a much lower fee.
I have made my mind up. I think you are using hindsight to have another pop at the club, and Sean Dyche in particular, on a subject that you cared nothing about 18 months ago. But I am open minded and am giving you the chance to prove me wrong and that you were actually a far-sighted and knowledgeable person, contrary to my belief.

Gibson was the "young Tarkowski type", albeit the fee was higher - a record signing rather than a second-highest. (Or third0-highest, depending what Fletcher cost.) Tarkowski waited 18 months and worked his way into the team; Gibson waited 18 months but failed to work his way in. That'sd the difference.

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 am

DSR

We can all speculate why we bought Gibson but he was at a different stage in his career to Tarks when we was signed. Gibson was on the fringes of England “standing out at Boro” and that why he cost £15 mil, Tarks had shown promise at Oldham, improved at Brentford and moving to us was a further step up even though he was the “cover” player. Also Tarks wanted to move up north.
This user liked this post: jrgbfc

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:00 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 pm
Was he even fit then? He came in for the Everton game where we ended up conceding five. It was after that game I believe that Heaton came back in and McNeil was used more regularly and we had an upturn in results.

In other words, Dyche was right not to dispense with Mee or Tarkowski.

Bards came in as well as Tom.
His contribution to our upturn in form cannot be underestimated.
He added a sense of purpose and direction that really had been missing, plus a touch of real steal when we needed it most.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:46 am

When we first started making enquiries about Gibson the contract situation with Mee was still unresolved (the inference being BG was seen as a replacement)
I believe Mee signed his new contract a short time before the Gibson deal was finally agreed and signed
Given the form of BM this season there has been little call for Gibson to replace him in the starting 11
We just need to forget this situation and get as much for him in the summer as we can
The club did the right thing not to let him go to Watford last month

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 am

KRBFC wrote:
Perhaps it is because it wasn't my own money , if it was I would rant about it on a football messageboard trying to make out I'm a football genius.

So if one of the centre halves left or got injured he would have played. It's an expensive game these days, inflated markets etc. People (UTC posters) are unhappy when we spend money and when we don't, can't win. How many people are unhappy? Can you quantify? Is it just a handful of UTC posters or hundreds of fans. Sounds like a CFC / MACCA plenty / many to me.

Perhaps we should just have 12-13 players and use the under 23s, I'm sure people would be happy with that or would they take to a football message board to complain about dry powder?

I honestly don't give a toss how much the club spends, it's not my bank account it's coming out of, I'll leave it to others to make out they are football experts basing their arguments on the 20/20 hindsight they possess.

Safron

Post by Safron » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 am

As my mum used to say, LET IT DROP!!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 am

KRBFC wrote:
Why are you so unhappy about it ?
It seems strange that you and the other posters who criticise the club more than anyone else are particularly unhappy about Gibson - actually it’s not that strange it’s entirely predictable.

The reason why most sensible fans are not as upset about it as you is pretty simple - firstly it’s because of our prudent financial management that we can afford to lose money on Gibson.
Secondly we are still in the Premier League posting profits.
Thirdly every club in this league makes expensive mistakes - always have / always will.

But you stay upset about it for as long as you feel you need - it’s what you enjoy and I know things like this must keep you going when we are in a good run of form.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am

I've no contacts at the club, have no specialist knowledge, so these are just my observations.

We'd failed to sign a centre back since Keane left and so when Gibson was signed for that fee I was pleased the weakness in cover had been addressed at what I thought was a decent fee. I hadn't seen Gibson much but thought he was clearly Boro's best player when they lost at Burnley in the Prem.

I fully expected him to push for a starting spot and displace Ben Mee. It didn't happen for whatever reason, principally I guess 'cos Sean Dyche sees Mee as a better player, forms a more effective partnership with Tarkowski, is stronger mentally or a combination of all three.

Turning to how they were treated, Tarkowski seemed to me to be more involved in the 1st team match day squad in that he was invariably included and regularly brought on towards the end of games to see the games out. This hasn't been the case for Gibson but his injury record may be the cause of that, but then again it might be that he didn't earn the right.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 am

NL Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 am
People (UTC posters) are unhappy when we spend money and when we don't, can't win. How many people are unhappy? Can you quantify? Is it just a handful of UTC posters or hundreds of fans. Sounds like a CFC / MACCA plenty / many to me.
Dont involve me in your squabbles, I fully understand the situation of why he was signed, why he hasnt been given a chance, and why he has been banished.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Does he get a win bonus?
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 pm

I hope Vydra gets and takes his chance now. He has been patient and done it the professional way.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:01 am

Is he still training with Middlesbrough??
Seen a few stories linking him with a loan move to Norwich and they all claim he's still training with Boro.

If so.. what a daft situation, surprised it's gone on for so long.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:19 am

Some Boro fan was on Twitter saying he hasn't been training with them, although I'm not so sure ...

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:49 am

Is that him walking the border collie? I can't remember what he looks like.
Anyway, the Norwich pink_un board still has posters hoping that he signs, but as they have already increased their playing staff in numbers, it will only happen if one of their defenders leave first now, they think. Gibson would need to be replaced as that would otherwise leave Hadley or klose as first choice. However, they are dodgy in that position anyway, and have a surplus of full backs with another new one coming through and byram to return, so he may get picked up if Aaron's (or more likely Lewis) moves on.
They seem to have acquired a polish striker with bolt-like pace. Could have done with that last year given that pukki has little and drmic none at all.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 am

His agent has advised him badly. What a strange situation for all parties.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:04 am

Bad egg.

Time to cut losses and move on.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 am

I'm surprised he can be arsed ,too much like hard work. He must have watched all his boxed sets by now and got bored
Time for Uncle to flash the cash and take him permanently

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:04 am
Bad egg.

Time to cut losses and move on.
It is safe to say we've been trying to offload him for some time. Sure Dyche is the type of person to allow a player back in if their attitude is right, especially as we are short of CBs with Mee and Long still out. However it tells its own story that he is still knowhere to be seen.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:18 am

Grimsdale wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:19 am
Some Boro fan was on Twitter saying he hasn't been training with them, although I'm not so sure ...

Do Boro train in a public area, or has a staff member brought the dog to work?

And what on earth is he wearing?
I can’t work out if he’s got a really long coat on or really baggy shorts with leggings underneath

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:24 am

Kilt. Doubles as a Upex pie holder.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:59 am

What a waste of talent.

Crap situation for all parties.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:08 am

We need to get Gibson back to Burnley and make him train on his own and have minimal contact with the 1st team squad.

He will be happy to sit his contract out on Teeside and take his wage, we need to make his life hard and force him to take a move
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:27 am

Whether we like it or not Gibson holds all the aces, when Makelele was frozen out at Chelsea his response was "I just look at my bank account and smile."

I said months ago he his our Bogarde and we run the danger of trying to hold out for his true value and risk getting nothing and paying his wages for two more years. Reluctantly we need to cut out losses and get rid.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 am

I thought there's be more interest in him tbh, certainly from the bigger Championship clubs.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:52 am

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:08 am
We need to get Gibson back to Burnley and make him train on his own and have minimal contact with the 1st team squad.

He will be happy to sit his contract out on Teeside and take his wage, we need to make his life hard and force him to take a move
Seriously? Ffs he’s had a fall out, he’s not a criminal
This user liked this post: tim_noone