dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics .

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:59 pm

Thought not, easy to snipe when the going looks a bit tricky, but the bar room tacticians easily become satisfyingly anonymous when things are on the up.
Little point now in slagging off his formations or poor choices on subs.
They pay him a kings ransom because he knows his onions, unlike all of us.
These 4 users liked this post: MT03ALG Bosscat k90bfc Burnleyareback2

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics .

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:08 am

the football was ****, Jay Rod came in and it got better, Vydra came in and it got better still. It's the only thing I complained about and I was correct

fight fight fight !
These 4 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo cockneyclaret DomBFC1882 morpheus2

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:33 am

To be fair, playing against Southampton and Bournemouth is a very good way to make the attack look better. But Vydra's pace is a very useful attribute to have against competent defences too - we will see!

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 am

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:33 am
To be fair, playing against Southampton and Bournemouth is a very good way to make the attack look better.
I thought we were ok against United and Leicester as well, tbh. :mrgreen:

And Arsenal.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat morpheus2 turfytopper

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:45 am

Only 4 teams won more than us. We must be doing something right?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:48 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:45 am
Only 4 teams won more than us. We must be doing something right?
Correct... but theres a lot of full Nappies on here at Times.
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:18 am

I never for one wanted Dyche to go. Even at our worse after Villa. And once we got that out the way who saw us getting much of anything from a run of Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Leicester and Arsenal at home.

The style had to evolve at some point. But most importantly right then was anyway of grinding out a result.

Luckily we managed to get both. The style improved at half time against Villa and the results started coming shortly after at half time against Leicester.

I posted at the time against Leicester saying that positive atmosphere and getting behind Dyche and the team that day was vital. The atmosphere was overwhelmingly positive in that game. Even when losing. And it feels like everything fell into place.

There’s no doubt that after the Villa game that Dyche would’ve been questioning himself and the players.

We’ve had a little luck but mostly deserved.

To get 13/15 is outstanding. Especially when we had our backs to the wall.

The important thing to remember is we will probably have similar poor runs in the future. And the fans have to remain patient.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:20 am

It’s not just the pairing of VAR that have improved matters. Yesterday 3 of our midfielders had shots, good ones, from the edge of the box and whilst Hendrick didn’t he was all over their area keeping moves going. When was the last time you can recall that happening. Cork had two top strikes from a position he wouldn’t normally get that far forward. This comes from management and a definite change in team orders. Long may it continue.
These 7 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets MT03ALG cockneyclaret Juan Tanamera Vegas Claret k90bfc morpheus2

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:20 am
It’s not just the pairing of VAR that have improved matters. Yesterday 3 of our midfielders had shots, good ones, from the edge of the box and whilst Hendrick didn’t he was all over their area keeping moves going. When was the last time you can recall that happening. Cork had two top strikes from a position he wouldn’t normally get that far forward. This comes from management and a definite change in team orders. Long may it continue.
Spot on

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 am

There's not many who want Dyche to leave, 98% realise he is the sole reason we are where we are, and the reason we give ourselves the best chance of staying here ( with this squad/board approach )

What people were getting worried about was style, approach and recruitment.

What is quite clear with those without an agenda is that both the style and approach has changed significantly however confidence also has a part to play in all that.

Mr Dyche stregth is loyalty, but it's also his weakness.
Mee at LB, Heaton and McNeil in and now the J-Rod/Vyds inclusion are things that have been forced upon him, and have changed things massively ( you could say pivotal ) and have defined the seasons in question.

You'll always have extremes types like Dyche is crap and does no right, or Dyche is god as does no wrong.
Rest assured theres some of us in between that understand the game, and can asses things as a neutral.
These 7 users liked this post: Caernarfon_Claret claretgimmer Hipper alboclaret BOYSIE31 Blackrod morpheus2

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 am

I hate these ‘I told you so’ threads. Fact is we were shite. Now we aren’t. Simple. Enjoy your smugness.
Very few wanted Dyche gone and everyone has a right to criticise. But some Dyche is God believers can’t seem to accept any criticism of him. As I have often said, he is great, but he ain’t perfect, no-one is.
These 5 users liked this post: Grumps box_of_frogs Juan Tanamera Blackrod morpheus2

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by GandalfsBeard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 am

People are allowed to criticise Dyche and the players. If it's measured criticism and there's no abuse or name calling, then there's nothing wrong with it. Of course, critics can also be proven wrong.

But why do we need to have these gloating, trolling threads?
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Blackrod houseboy

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 am
There's not many who want Dyche to leave, 98% realise he is the sole reason we are where we are, and the reason we give ourselves the best chance of staying here ( with this squad/board approach )

What is quite clear with those without an agenda is that both the style and approach has changed significantly however confidence also has a part to play in all that.

Mee at LB, Heaton and McNeil in and now the J-Rod/Vyds inclusion are things that have been forced upon him, and have changed things massively ( you could say pivotal ) and have defined the seasons in question.

You'll always have extremes types like Dyche is crap and does no right, or Dyche is god as does no wrong.
Rest assured theres some of us in between that understand the game, and can asses things as a neutral.
All good points, well made.

If I may posit a view.

Mr. Dyche whilst seemingly slow to make adjustments (Mee to CB for example) and a beneficiary of serendipity vis-a-vis injury related unleashing of McNeil, J Rod, Vydra, actually creates the environment that allows these things to happen. Surely it's no coincidence that these players flourish when called upon.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:55 am

Always like it when UTC posters become the spokesman for the masses.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am

Do we have to have a thread like rhis every time the results go one way or the other? Ffs

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:38 am

What I found different and more telling this season, compared to past seasons, was that while there were still a large number of posters prepared to post their unhappiness at Dyche's leadership, there were fewer posters prepared to post their support of Dyche than in past seasons.
It's alright coming on and having a go at the Dyche knockers now but I suggest you ask yourself first, did I post in support of Dyche when he was getting stick or did I just sit on my hands?
The football Burnley were playing up to the Leicester game was awful and I think fans were entitled to speak out and say so. Furthermore with the lovely football we are playing with Rodriguez and Vydra in the team, those same fans will feel justified in their earlier criticism

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:41 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am
Do we have to have a thread like rhis every time the results go one way or the other? Ffs
Yes and for most posters sake!!!

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 am

Injuries changed his stubborn hand and we had to revert back to playing actual football..
Guess what.. we started winning!!
Always nice to try something else on the menu
This user liked this post: box_of_frogs

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:47 am

Maybe the fans who thought Vydra had been criminally under used, or that we were capable of playing a bit more football had a point all along?
These 5 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets box_of_frogs alboclaret BOYSIE31 morpheus2

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:47 am
Maybe the fans who thought Vydra had been criminally under used, or that we were capable of playing a bit more football had a point all along?
Yep I’d go as far as to say that your negative posts and those of Boysie, KRBFC etc eventually got to Dyche and he changed things directly as a result.
I’m pretty sure you will all get personally thanked by SD at the end of season awards and I can seriously see Boysie being added to the coaching team.
Thank you 🙏
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:01 am

The told you so nonsense always disregards,
as Macca references well, that some of our upturns have been on the back of forced changes.

So when folk post saying I wish Dyche would try X,Y or Z and are rounded upon with Dyche knows best “he sees them in training” maybe those folk shooting down should look at past history and see that changes do work!

Dyche himself mocked the calls for Vydra......looks like he was wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret BOYSIE31

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:51 am

I've read several posts on different threads by different posters comparing Mee moving to CB with McNeil and now Vydra getting into the team (forced by injuries).

Goes to show that if you repeat a lie enough times, people will start to accept it as fact.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:57 am

I see there's a few still staking their claim to be much wiser than Sean Dyche on here.

Don't get it at all.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:58 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am
How else do superfans get to prove their superiority?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:57 am
I see there's a few still staking their claim to be much wiser than Sean Dyche on here.

Don't get it at all.
I dont think there is actually. I think its more that people are pointing out Dyche doesnt get things right 100% of the time and that measured criticism and thoughts about how we might change things are not only valid but the very essence of a messageboard.

Not having an opinion and just blindly agreeing with everything the club does is just as pathetic as those who just moan and complain no matter what we do

A middle ground of opinions, disagreements and good discussions is in my opinion the best place to be
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Vegas Claret morpheus2

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Still critical
Still the question "why did it take barnes and wood being injured for jay and Vydra to get games?"

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

[quote=Devils_Advocate post_id=1215735 time=1582460143 user_id=2946

A middle ground of opinions, disagreements and good discussions is in my opinion the best place to be
[/quote]

This is something I will look forward to on UTC.

You are correct when you say Dyche doesn't get 100% things correct, no one does.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:56 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Or maybe we’ve just beaten a couple of sides with a poor defences and best to wait and see. Maybe it’s good management to get the best out of players that haven’t had a sniff....

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:03 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Of course they had a point. But it fails to recognise that Wood, Barnes and Rodriguez have all played very well.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:19 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 am

Correct in what you say. So far Vila was the nadir. It will be interesting now to see what he does with Wood and Barnes who will both be available soon. Mind as teams will set up to play against say Vydra and Rodriguez he could now throw on these two.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Do you know what's worse than the 'I told you so' threads? Posters who are now manipulating their previous opinion using hindsight.

The amount of people that are displaying incredible backstroke technique on this thread is embarrassing.

Just admit that you panicked way too early.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 pm

It's not a surprise to me that we play better football without Barnes in the team so what does that tell you - but would this turn of form happened with him playing while not fit

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am
Yep I’d go as far as to say that your negative posts and those of Boysie, KRBFC etc eventually got to Dyche and he changed things directly as a result.
I’m pretty sure you will all get personally thanked by SD at the end of season awards and I can seriously see Boysie being added to the coaching team.
Thank you 🙏
Like I posted dyche has got lucky with the injury to Barnes and now wood otherwise would he be playing Jay and vydra from the start at all.

Many on here including claret Tony said vydra was out of his depth at this level and that's the reasons he does not play but he has been like a breath of fresh air and we know Jay can play football - now vydra is world class to people on here. ;)

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm

I know I’m in the minority but I still think Dyche is too one dimensional. I think he gets lucky but accept that you can’t be lucky this often. I see nothing that he has actively changed to get us on this good run from when we were on the bad run.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 pm
Like I posted dyche has got lucky with the injury to Barnes and now wood otherwise would he be playing Jay and vydra from the start at all.

Many on here including claret Tony said vydra was out of his depth at this level and that's the reasons he does not play but he has been like a breath of fresh air and we know Jay can play football - now vydra is world class to people on here. ;)
Dyche has got lucky with the injuries to Barnes and Wood?

Short memory.....
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm
I think he gets lucky but accept that you can’t be lucky this often. I see nothing that he has actively changed to get us on this good run from when we were on the bad run.
So which is it? Has he got lucky or not? Make your mind up....

Talk about reluctant to give any credit where it's due.

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm
So which is it? Has he got lucky or not? Make your mind up....

Talk about reluctant to give any credit where it's due.
Lucky

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Boysie the gift that keeps on giving :D

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 pm

GandalfsBeard wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 am
People are allowed to criticise Dyche and the players. If it's measured criticism and there's no abuse or name calling, then there's nothing wrong with it. Of course, critics can also be proven wrong.

But why do we need to have these gloating, trolling threads?
Don't talk *****, the reason is its a burnley messageboard, and not all that long ago I would suggest virtually anyone who comes on here voiced an opinion one way or the other. Its totally valid to air an opinion if the clubs fortunes change, or is that too simplistic for you to grasp? the gloating, trolling comment you made is well wide of the mark, that's just down to the likes of yourself being devoid of anything relevant to say, you you (as others) glibly go down the route of generalising for no good reason.
There were pages of stuff before, spewing out bile about the manager and players, that sickened me, it wasnt well rounded and reasoned criticism either, it objectionable and crass comments by and large. quite justified in reversing that trend. some on here need to take their heads out of their collective backsides, christ !! the arrogance .

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 pm

I generally breeze through most posts on here, so I must have missed the one (or more) where someone said that Vydra is world class.

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 pm
Don't talk *****, the reason is its a burnley messageboard, and not all that long ago I would suggest virtually anyone who comes on here voiced an opinion one way or the other. Its totally valid to air an opinion if the clubs fortunes change, or is that too simplistic for you to grasp? the gloating, trolling comment you made is well wide of the mark, that's just down to the likes of yourself being devoid of anything relevant to say, you you (as others) glibly go down the route of generalising for no good reason.
There were pages of stuff before, spewing out bile about the manager and players, that sickened me, it wasnt well rounded and reasoned criticism either, it objectionable and crass comments by and large. quite justified in reversing that trend. some on here need to take their heads out of their collective backsides, christ !! the arrogance .
Do you think that there is a chance that you could be taking this message board too seriously? In a time where mental health is a hot topic it genuinely could be an idea to turn your computer off for tonight and have 10 mins doing something that you enjoy

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm
Lucky
But you accept that you can't be lucky this often....?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Dyche Out

this evening having a meal with his wife and family.

:D

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm
But you accept that you can't be lucky this often....?
Yep

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am
Thank you 🙏
I'm pretty sure the above & the fact that large proportions of the crowd were booing the turgid football on show did indeed change the way SD approached later games.
I saw SD give Tarks a bollocking in the Leicester game when he hoofed it up & out of play early in the game.
When Barnes was injured the play became better overnight.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm
Yep
Soooooo........it's not luck then because you can't be lucky this often?

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Soooooo........it's not luck then because you can't be lucky this often?
Maybe an exception? Can you highlight what Dyche changed from the game at Villa when we were horrific, to the last game we played with Wood and Barnes fit? I’d suggest nothing. The exact same tactics. The change in results hasn’t been a direct result of something Dyche has done differently. The only time we see changes are when circumstances such as injury force them

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 pm
Maybe an exception? Can you highlight what Dyche changed from the game at Villa when we were horrific, to the last game we played with Wood and Barnes fit? I’d suggest nothing. The exact same tactics. The change in results hasn’t been a direct result of something Dyche has done differently. The only time we see changes are when circumstances such as injury force them
I can't highlight it because I'm not Sean Dyche. I don't spend all week on the training ground or in team meetings so unfortunately I cannot pinpoint it for you. However, I wouldn't think it's just down to one forced change of personnel.

To say Dyche is just lucky is ridiculous.

Once again, let's not forget how valuable both Wood AND Barnes are to Burnley when they are fit. Both epitomise who we are and are excellent for us at this level. Rodriguez has been great (no surprise to me as I've always said he's the best footballer of our 4 forwards) since he's had a run in the team and Vydra has finally shown something in the last 2 games.

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by GandalfsBeard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 pm
I wasn't intending to have a go at you Wile, let's leave it at that and enjoy how well we're playing

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 pm
I can't highlight it because I'm not Sean Dyche. I don't spend all week on the training ground or in team meetings so unfortunately I cannot pinpoint it for you. However, I wouldn't think it's just down to one forced change of personnel.

To say Dyche is just lucky is ridiculous.

Once again, let's not forget how valuable both Wood AND Barnes are to Burnley when they are fit. Both epitomise who we are and are excellent for us at this level. Rodriguez has been great (no surprise to me as I've always said he's the best footballer of our 4 forwards) since he's had a run in the team and Vydra has finally shown something in the last 2 games.
It’s disappointing that you find the notion ridiculous but can’t actually point out anything that he changed which lead to our upturn in fortune.