dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics .

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:10 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 pm
It’s disappointing that you find the notion ridiculous but can’t actually point out anything that he changed which lead to our upturn in fortune.
I know, I'm sorry to disappoint. If only I had your foresight to make a great suggestion.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 pm

People were coming on here and calling for Dyche to be sacked, for the board to change and some we even saying that they didn’t want Premier league football and longed to be back in the Championship. They fail to recognise the minor miracle that the manager, his team and the board are performing. To say we are punching above our weight is an understatement for a club like ours to not only be on this league but also be competing well.

One season it will come to an end and they will all come back out and say ‘see, I told you!’.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly evensteadiereddie

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 pm

MRG wrote:
It’s disappointing that you find the notion ridiculous but can’t actually point out anything that he changed which lead to our upturn in fortune.
He must be one lucky bloke Sean Dyche. Always good when you can give credit when it’s due!?

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 pm
People were coming on here and calling for Dyche to be sacked, for the board to change and some we even saying that they didn’t want Premier league football and longed to be back in the Championship. They fail to recognise the minor miracle that the manager, his team and the board are performing. To say we are punching above our weight is an understatement for a club like ours to not only be on this league but also be competing well.

One season it will come to an end and they will all come back out and say ‘see, I told you!’.
Don’t forget the ‘not renewing my season ticket along with the many who sit round me’.
These 5 users liked this post: LeadBelly tim_noone Cirrus_Minor JohnDearyMe evensteadiereddie

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:11 pm
He must be one lucky bloke Sean Dyche. Always good when you can give credit when it’s due!?
I hope his luck lasts forever! It’s fantastic for our club.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:14 pm

MRG wrote:
We seem to be pressing teams higher and with more intensity.

We seem to be giving McNeill a little more freedom.

To a man, our players are performing to a higher level - he manages these players so can take an element of credit for this.

Pope is mixing up his distribution making us more effective on the counter attack.

We have changed our style of play to suit the forwards on the pitch.

That’s just a few changes that I have noticed that have led to our upturn in form. And there will of course be plenty of ‘management’ going on behind the scenes that will have contributed.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:14 pm

To a man, our players are performing to a higher level - he manages these players so can take an element of credit for this.

Pope is mixing up his distribution making us more effective on the counter attack.

That’s just a few changes that I have noticed that have led to our upturn in form. And there will of course be plenty of ‘management’ going on behind the scenes that will have contributed.
Nah it’s all down to luck. I bet they don’t even do anything on the training ground.

MRG
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:14 pm

That’s probably the difference then. There has certainly been an improvement in Pope since early in the season and although often anonymous, when on his game, McNeil looks unplayable at time’s

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm

There are some things that are utterly baffling.

Jay barely got any game time whilst Barnes plodded around with an Hernia.

Long got on the pitch, up front, ahead of Vydra at Everton.

The Ward for Mee thing in the Championship etc

The persistence with Hendrick as a 10.

The big change has been Jay links midfield to attack and our press has intensified. Simple changes that have generated great results.

I think some people need to realise that he does get things wrong, we all do and when folk question it they aren’t ‘attacking’ him; they are concerned fans often raising valid questions.

Anyway, I wonder how good Gibson is based on Vydra😉
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm
I dont think there is actually. I think its more that people are pointing out Dyche doesnt get things right 100% of the time and that measured criticism

A middle ground of opinions, disagreements and good discussions is in my opinion the best place to be
I tried to quote/reply to your post earlier but didn't get it right, I was agreeing about the middle ground. I didn't have the hindsight of posters of calling Dyche "lucky" though.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 pm
I tried to quote/reply to your post earlier but didn't get it right, I was agreeing about the middle ground. I didn't have the hindsight of posters of calling Dyche "lucky" though.
Yep and as I said posters who see no good in the club no matter what are equally as boring and pointless as those who dare not question the club and get upset when others do so.

Still haven't seen anyone on this thread staking a claim to being much wiser than Dyche though

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm
There are some things that are utterly baffling.

Jay barely got any game time whilst Barnes plodded around with an Hernia.

Long got on the pitch, up front, ahead of Vydra at Everton.

The Ward for Mee thing in the Championship etc

The persistence with Hendrick as a 10.

The big change has been Jay links midfield to attack and our press has intensified. Simple changes that have generated great results.

I think some people need to realise that he does get things wrong, we all do and when folk question it they aren’t ‘attacking’ him; they are concerned fans often raising valid questions.

Anyway, I wonder how good Gibson is based on Vydra😉
Put 2 proper footballers up front who have pace + guile to complement the harrying + chasing + surprise surprise we have a proper team. We are back to playing the ball on the floor + look far more dangerous. Jay Rod + Vydra can spot a pass + can finish. Sean persisted with an injured Barnes, who spent most of his time falling over which might have won the occasional free kick but actually didn’t do our fluidity any favours either.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 pm
Don’t forget the ‘not renewing my season ticket along with the many who sit round me’.
Quality gem from Longsidebogs. :D

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 am

It’s hard to believe some of the stuff posted on this board sometimes.
Which bit of the last 3 years did some people miss ?
We play well for a few games...and win....then we play badly for a few games and lose....and sometimes we are average and we win, lose or draw !!

As well as Vydra and Jay Rod are playing if they manage to score more than Wood and Barnes have been scoring each season then we’ll be selling them for at least £25m because that’s what strikers who can score 12 or 13 goals in this division go for.

Just be grateful we have Dyche in charge as he is picking up these strikers for less money and wages than many strikers in this division who have scored a lot less goals.
Our 4 strikers have got 23 league goals this year.
Have a look at the list of scorers at clubs like Palace, Newcastle, Villa, Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth.
Benteke, Haller and Joleinton cost a total of £115m and have less goals in total than JayRod this season !!
These 2 users liked this post: dsr JohnDearyMe

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 am

Benteke....what's the opposite of prolific ?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 am
Dog sh-ite ?

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:33 am

Yeah, we have been lucky to pull of 4, to be 5 years back to back in the premier league. So many lucky decisions each week for us...

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:40 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 am
antilific? prochoicic? prolifact? I think the meaning of "benteke" is so well known that he doesn't need an adjective. "Bentekic" might do.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 pm
Dyche has got lucky with the injuries to Barnes and Wood?

Short memory.....
What i mean he has been forced to change his hand rather than try something different.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 am
What i mean he has been forced to change his hand rather than try something different.
Ok. I understand what you're trying to say but Wood was pretty effective against Leicester, Man Utd and Arsenal and I'm fairly confident that we would have beaten Bournemouth if Wood had played. So I wouldn't say Dyche got lucky with Wood's injury.

And, once again, let's not forget how effective a FIT Ashley Barnes is. The only thing Dyche can really be guilty of here is perhaps leaving it too long before deciding that Barnes should have surgery. But we don't know what the medical guys were saying or Barnes himself.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am
Ok. I understand what you're trying to say but Wood was pretty effective against Leicester, Man Utd and Arsenal and I'm fairly confident that we would have beaten Bournemouth if Wood had played. So I wouldn't say Dyche got lucky with Wood's injury.

And, once again, let's not forget how effective a FIT Ashley Barnes is. The only thing Dyche can really be guilty of here is perhaps leaving it too long before deciding that Barnes should have surgery. But we don't know what the medical guys were saying or Barnes himself.
No we have totally changed the way we play without Barnes - we have stopped lumping it up to the forward (which was Barnes) and playing for the second balls - we have actually played some wonderful football on the ground - pass and move.

ewanrob
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am

I was definatley one of those who wasn't happy, Ive always said I don't mind us loosing as long as we were giving someone a bloody nose...we weren't and something needed to change. Again, Sean has been fortunate in that his hand was forced with the injuries.. and going on Saturday certainly the 2nd half, that was as good as I have seen this team play. Fantastic flowing football, albeit against a demoralised team. I don't think for one moment he would have put Jay and Matej up front and drop Wood and Barnes to the bench during that terrible run. He's not stupid, Im sure Sean knows he has got lucky here....still a great manager mind.
These 2 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote BOYSIE31

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Total rubbish that Dyche was lucky that his hand had been forced. He could quite easily, and legitimately gone 4-5-1 when Wood got injured.

One of Dyche's traits is loyalty to his players. That is why Barnes was given a grace period when in a relatively poor run of form. It's also why Vydra will keep the shirt for our next game.

It's also rubbish to call Wood's injury a stroke of luck because he's our best striker and most prolific goalscorer.
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Dyche is an outstanding manager, and whilst we were putting in some turgid displays it was crazy to see threads calling for him to go (and they did happen, and have done every other time we have had a poor run). Always makes me laugh, because you would have to be rather unobservant to see that a trademark of Dyche's reign here has been his streakiness (unbelievably good runs followed by a 4-5 game losing run, and so on). It was always going to change, usually through a little tinker or rethink as happened last season.

Anyway, not sure why either 'side' needs to feel smug about the results changing. Lets all just enjoy it, we're all Burnley fans aren't we? The style HAS changed, which I will approve of. I never had an issue with the 'effective' football per se that Dyche has put out for us but it had in recent weeks felt worse, I think largely due to Barnes clearly being unfit. Rodriguez has forced us to move it on the deck more as he is a proper footballer and demands the ball in that manner - fair play for the team accommodating that.

Vydra? What can you say. I thought he was done here and was assuming we would move to a 451 at Southampton when Wood went off, but fair play to Dyche for throwing him in (as he HAD shown nothing in his brief glimpses in league or cup to make anyone realistically think he had what it takes) and moreso fair play to Vydra for scoring an outstanding goal. He was oustanding I felt with his movement on Saturday, him and Rodriguez were a joy to watch. I am a massive Chris Wood fan but he cannot go straight back in - and Barnes? I think Barnes is going to really struggle, currently, to become a fixture again in the first elevent.

Against Bournemouth, in the second half, we played some of the very best football we have under Dyche so long may that continue. Fans as a whole need to be a bit more patient and willing to take the rough with the smooth though, it was always be thus as a Burnley fan in this league. We will have another crap run this season, such knee jerk reactions should be tempered and let history remind you that this will always happen in this league - and history tells us Dyche will remedy it sooner rather than later.
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 boyyanno

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Are the results better because JayRod is playing instead of Barnes?
Hard to say, we always seem to go through winning and losing runs in the premier league.

Is the football better because JayRod is playing instead of Barnes?
Yes.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 houseboy

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:41 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 pm
Dyche is an outstanding manager, and whilst we were putting in some turgid displays it was crazy to see threads calling for him to go (and they did happen, and have done every other time we have had a poor run). Always makes me laugh, because you would have to be rather unobservant to see that a trademark of Dyche's reign here has been his streakiness (unbelievably good runs followed by a 4-5 game losing run, and so on). It was always going to change, usually through a little tinker or rethink as happened last season.

Anyway, not sure why either 'side' needs to feel smug about the results changing. Lets all just enjoy it, we're all Burnley fans aren't we? The style HAS changed, which I will approve of. I never had an issue with the 'effective' football per se that Dyche has put out for us but it had in recent weeks felt worse, I think largely due to Barnes clearly being unfit. Rodriguez has forced us to move it on the deck more as he is a proper footballer and demands the ball in that manner - fair play for the team accommodating that.

Vydra? What can you say. I thought he was done here and was assuming we would move to a 451 at Southampton when Wood went off, but fair play to Dyche for throwing him in (as he HAD shown nothing in his brief glimpses in league or cup to make anyone realistically think he had what it takes) and moreso fair play to Vydra for scoring an outstanding goal. He was oustanding I felt with his movement on Saturday, him and Rodriguez were a joy to watch. I am a massive Chris Wood fan but he cannot go straight back in - and Barnes? I think Barnes is going to really struggle, currently, to become a fixture again in the first elevent.

Against Bournemouth, in the second half, we played some of the very best football we have under Dyche so long may that continue. Fans as a whole need to be a bit more patient and willing to take the rough with the smooth though, it was always be thus as a Burnley fan in this league. We will have another crap run this season, such knee jerk reactions should be tempered and let history remind you that this will always happen in this league - and history tells us Dyche will remedy it sooner rather than later.

So what happens when Barnes and Wood are both fully fit again ? Go back to how we were playing because he has made it known many times they are his preferred front 2

Could Dyche be even surprised how we have coped without Barnes as when he plays we can look awful playing for fouls and that second ball

The football in the second half saturday was a joy to watch and i have not been able to say that for a while.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm
I dont think there is actually. I think its more that people are pointing out Dyche doesnt get things right 100% of the time and that measured criticism and thoughts about how we might change things are not only valid but the very essence of a messageboard.

Not having an opinion and just blindly agreeing with everything the club does is just as pathetic as those who just moan and complain no matter what we do

A middle ground of opinions, disagreements and good discussions is in my opinion the best place to be
Excellent post DA and very valid. Many of the posts about Dyche on here have been legitimate, both good and bad.
Dyche is one of the best things to ever happen to the club - true.
Dyche is stubborn - true.
He is slow to make changes - true.
He knows how to get the best out of players - true.
He appears to have his favourites - true.
He appears to have players he doesn't like - true.
He wants what is best for the club - absolutely.
Dyche demands (and usually gets) loyalty - he does.
He doesn't ever publicly criticise palyers - true.
He is a mastert at steadying the ship - true.
He can be a sarcastic sod in interviews - beautifully so.
He doesn't suffer fools - no he does not.
He is always right - no he definitely isn't. He is human.
He loves playing in cups - ha ha, I'll leave others to answer that.
He is the best man to have at the helm of our club - I don't seriously think anyone doubts that.

All the above statements are contradictory and all have be made of him at various times - and all are TRUE. This is why we argue on here because we are all at various times right and wrong because football is what it is and so is Dyche, an imperfect human being who does his best and his best is usually damned good. But the ones who sometimes criticise him, as I have at times, do so only in the moment, and a few weeks ago there was much criticism because we were, without a shadow of a doubt, absolute bobbins and even I, who never normally see us as relagation material, was fearing the worst. We will continue to love him but also he will get criticism when things are going wrong - that is why he gets paid immense amounts of money.

He's not the messiah - he's just a very naughty boy (at times). :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Devils_Advocate boyyanno

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:41 pm
So what happens when Barnes and Wood are both fully fit again ? Go back to how we were playing because he has made it known many times they are his preferred front 2

Could Dyche be even surprised how we have coped without Barnes as when he plays we can look awful playing for fouls and that second ball

The football in the second half saturday was a joy to watch and i have not been able to say that for a while.
When you say a “while” are you saying we have not played great football in any of the other of the last 5 games we have got 13 points ?

As for what will SD will do when Wood and Barnes are fit he will probably do what he has always done. Pick the players who he thinks give him the most chance of winning games...which during the last 7 years have invariably been the ones who are playing well and have got the shirt. He would have no qualms whatsoever keeping Barnes and Wood on the bench - they’ve both spent plenty of time there.
This strategy has worked for him pretty well so far.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:36 pm
Are the results better because JayRod is playing instead of Barnes?
Hard to say, we always seem to go through winning and losing runs in the premier league.

Is the football better because JayRod is playing instead of Barnes?
Yes.
JayRod's first five starts this season resulted in 5 defeats, and four of them were absolute stinkers. Spurs 0-5, Sheff Utd 0-3, Chelsea 2-4, and Everton 0-1. The football wasn't better in any of those.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Dyche !!! let's hear it from the early season critics.

Give it time. The usual suspects will be banging their same old drum when we have a dip in form.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:12 pm

I think his main difficulty will be when Wood is fit again, he is a class act and not a bench warmer, but how do you drop either JR or Vydra at the moment? They are both different players to Wood or Barnes and they make the football more exciting AND they are scoring. It will be a brilliant problem for him to have though. Barnes is a different thing, I have never really thought of him as being that good but he did have a bit of a purple patch for a while, but he would be excellent for coming off the bench and mixing it up if we need it.

I had a thought at the weekend about this - how many clubs in the PL, outside of the big 6, can lay claim to having 4 strikers of the quality of our guys? Not many I think, if any. Happy days.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Give it time. The usual suspects will be banging their same old drum when we have a dip in form.
Of course they will, that's football and we don't live in a perfect world. Dyche gets paid a great deal of money and he takes the blame when things go wrong as well as right. He almost certainly doesn't read this board anyway so it's not even water off a duck's back, the duck doesn't know it is even wet.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm
Of course they will, that's football and we don't live in a perfect world.
Of course we don't live in a perfect world, this goes without saying. Also people are entitled to their PoV and I'm entitled to mock those who have posted about sacking our most successful manager in the modern era. A couple of poor results and it's 'sack Dyche, 'sack the board' etc from a handful of finical supporters.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 pm
When you say a “while” are you saying we have not played great football in any of the other of the last 5 games we have got 13 points ?

As for what will SD will do when Wood and Barnes are fit he will probably do what he has always done. Pick the players who he thinks give him the most chance of winning games...which during the last 7 years have invariably been the ones who are playing well and have got the shirt. He would have no qualms whatsoever keeping Barnes and Wood on the bench - they’ve both spent plenty of time there.
This strategy has worked for him pretty well so far.
I suppose we will have to wait and see

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Do you mean like the ones who come out after an unbeaten run ? ;)
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm
Of course we don't live in a perfect world, this goes without saying. Also people are entitled to their PoV and I'm entitled to mock those who have posted about sacking our most successful manager in the modern era. A couple of poor results and it's 'sack Dyche, 'sack the board' etc from a handful of finical supporters.
I think it has been pointed out that not many called for his head, maybe an odd one or two in a moment of desparation. The problem I think that some have is the almost religious fervour of those that attempt to defend Dyche against any criticism. It's a bit like those who defend God against the 'unbeliever'. To have an intelligent discussion about the whys and wherefors of Dyche and his management is all well and good, but the zeal with which his over-zealous supporters attack those who criticise him is all a bit weird.

Thou shalt not criticise our Dyche.
Thou shalt not taketh the name of Dyche in vain.
Kill the unbeliever.

If Dyche read this site, which I very much doubt he does, I'm sure he would have a good chuckle to himself.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm

It’s the same old story from some isn’t it? Dyche is not beyond criticism, it’s just who's doing the criticising. Nobodies on a message board that think they know more than him after all the success he’s had. Dyche bucks the trend in many ways. He does things that as a supporter you don’t really get, but if you can’t see by now there’s method in his madness then there’s no hope for you. I’m sure Dyche does make mistakes, but nowhere near the amount that some on here would have you believe. In general though he gets it right, and you think that he’d have earned the trust and respect of all of our fans by now, but evidently he hasn’t. Threads like this are great, because they’re two fingers up to the arrogant and ungrateful minority.

It’s also a great example of how some people have an agenda. Our football has been a bit better recently, but a lot of it is to do with confidence. We aren’t suddenly this thorough attacking unit playing amazing football though. The 3 goals we’ve scored with Vydra on the pitch…

Direct ball from Hendrick into Vydra. Kudos to Vydra for taking the chance, but it was still a direct ball into his chest.

Hoof from Westwood forward. Fortunately McNeil claims the loose ball and threads a lovely ball through.

Hopeful back post cross from McNeil that gets handled. We’ve been doing this all season.

If you look at Vydra’s 3 chances on Saturday, one is a long ball from Taylor into the channel. Another is a punt forward from Tarks that the CB makes a mess of. The third is Bournemouth making a complete mess of giving the ball to us.

We’re playing much like we always play with the mixture of style that is Dyche’s ideal. We’re confident and doing it better than when our heads are down, and of course Jay and Vydra are technically more adept on the floor than Barnes and Wood. It’s hardly been a revolution in how we play though. Certainly in terms of the last game most of our chances came because Bournemouth are truly woeful at the back. You can only beat what’s put in front of you, but anyone watching the highlights back objectively will see that.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm
It’s the same old story from some isn’t it? Dyche is not beyond criticism, it’s just who's doing the criticising. Nobodies on a message board that think they know more than him after all the success he’s had. Dyche bucks the trend in many ways. He does things that as a supporter you don’t really get, but if you can’t see by now there’s method in his madness then there’s no hope for you. I’m sure Dyche does make mistakes, but nowhere near the amount that some on here would have you believe. In general though he gets it right, and you think that he’d have earned the trust and respect of all of our fans by now, but evidently he hasn’t. Threads like this are great, because they’re two fingers up to the arrogant and ungrateful minority.

It’s also a great example of how some people have an agenda. Our football has been a bit better recently, but a lot of it is to do with confidence. We aren’t suddenly this thorough attacking unit playing amazing football though. The 3 goals we’ve scored with Vydra on the pitch…

Direct ball from Hendrick into Vydra. Kudos to Vydra for taking the chance, but it was still a direct ball into his chest.

Hoof from Westwood forward. Fortunately McNeil claims the loose ball and threads a lovely ball through.

Hopeful back post cross from McNeil that gets handled. We’ve been doing this all season.

If you look at Vydra’s 3 chances on Saturday, one is a long ball from Taylor into the channel. Another is a punt forward from Tarks that the CB makes a mess of. The third is Bournemouth making a complete mess of giving the ball to us.

We’re playing much like we always play with the mixture of style that is Dyche’s ideal. We’re confident and doing it better than when our heads are down, and of course Jay and Vydra are technically more adept on the floor than Barnes and Wood. It’s hardly been a revolution in how we play though. Certainly in terms of the last game most of our chances came because Bournemouth are truly woeful at the back. You can only beat what’s put in front of you, but anyone watching the highlights back objectively will see that.
'Hallelujah' to the first paragraph of this post!! Spot on.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm
Thou shalt not criticise our Dyche.
Thou shalt not taketh the name of Dyche in vain.
Kill the unbeliever.
You're doing your usual trick of reading words that aren't there in order to make a point. I said upthread that everyone was entitled to their opinion, but this appears to have passed you by.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Good points well made sir. The only problem though is that people come on here and criticise, as is their right, and are attacked by the Dyche is God squad as though they have committed some mortal sin. That is what some people get a little annoyed with, their opinions are being drowned out by the people who seem to think that Dyche is the second coming. I love Dyche and would never want him to leave but I have critiicised him in the past and no doubt will do so again in the future. By and large he gets it right, of course he does, but opinions are what they are and for the zealots to shout down any adverse comments always smacks of religious intolerance. Prior to the present run (long may it continue) we were sh!te. We were getting hammered on an almost weekly basis, including a home defeat to Villa (a season low). This at a time when we were persisting with a team that had some options. People were criticising Dyche for seemingly doing nothing to stop the rot. Changes were eventually made (whether forced or not - it doesn't matter) and lo there was a change in fortunes. Maybe the people who were doing the criticising had it right, maybe they didn't, but what has transpired since makes it seem as though they at least had a point.
Last edited by houseboy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm
I suppose we will have to wait and see
Yep we will - but whatever decision he makes it’s because he believes its the best chance of getting a positive result.
His record as manager is not judged on one game or even a few games...it’s over a season or in reality given his record at the club over the last 7 years he is judged over a couple of seasons.
Personally I much prefer that to the likes of West Ham, Everton, Watford and others where managers are judged over a period of about 12 weeks. As a club we cannot afford to go down the route so we live with a few mistakes, and spells of poor form and put the trust in SD that he gets it right to over the season without having to try and bankrupt the club every time our position is looking a bit precarious....most other clubs would love to be in that position.
And even when we eventually go down we will have successfully deployed a strategy of sticking by a manager, not getting into any debt and developing the assets of the club for a longer period than I can remember any club doing in the history of the Premier League (but I’m quite happy to be proved wrong if anyone can name a club who has done this for longer than Burnley)

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Good points well made sir. The only problem though is that people come on here and criticise, as is their right, and are attacked by the Dyche is God squad as though they have committed some mortal sin. That is what some people get a little annoyed with, their opinions are being drowned out by the people who seem to think that Dyche is the second coming. I love Dyche and would never want him to leave but I have critiicised him in the past and no doubt will do so again in the future. By and large he gets it right, of course he does, but opinions are what they are and for the zealots to shout down any adverse comments always smacks of religious intolerance. Prior to the present run (long may it continue) we were sh!te. We were getting hammered on an almost weekly basis, including a home defeat to Villa (a season low). This at a time when we were persisting with a team that had some options. People were criticising Dyche for seemingly doing nothing to stop the rot. Changes were eventually made (whether forced or not - it doesn't matter) and lo there was a change in fortunes. Maybe the people who were doing the criticising had it right, maybe they didn't, but what has transpired since makes it seem as though they at least had a point.
I think the most of the "Dyche is God squad" have never said he doesn't make mistakes or isn't free of criticism - because he absolutely isn't. He earns an extremely handsome salary for what he does.

I think it's more that there are posters/supporters out there who can't seem to wait to criticise ANYTHING and are very aggressive with it. Their views, generally, don't seem to be very measured and can be very knee jerk.

We should all really be singing from the same hymn sheet. We are a tiny club who shouldn't be where we are or doing what we're doing - yet we are. I don't like the 'punching above our weight' term but we undoubtedly are. We should all be very proud of what has been achieved and continues to be achieved from our amazing football club.

And when times are tough (which they definitely will be again...and probably soon) maybe we should remember what Sean Dyche has done for this club over the last 7 years (and counting) and get behind OUR team and OUR manager. I'm quite sure he's earned a bit of support when the going gets tough.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm
You're doing your usual trick of reading words that aren't there in order to make a point. I said upthread that everyone was entitled to their opinion, but this appears to have passed you by.
I wasn't quoting anyone there bud, I was having a bit of a laugh, no one said any of those things, it was meant as a kind of hyperbolic reference to emphasise what I was saying, nothing more. Pointing out, if you like, the way it appeared to me.

By the way what is my 'usual trick'? If you mean pointing out the way people behave as opposed to what they say maybe you are right. If you like it's more about interpretation than quotation.
The point I was trying to make is pretty much what you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is good, but the Dyche is God squad don't seem to believe in that.

Hence: kill the unbeliever. (please note that this is not a quote by anyone, ever, on this site, as far as I am aware :D ).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm
I think the most of the "Dyche is God squad" have never said he doesn't make mistakes or isn't free of criticism - because he absolutely isn't. He earns an extremely handsome salary for what he does.

I think it's more that there are posters/supporters out there who can't seem to wait to criticise ANYTHING and are very aggressive with it. Their views, generally, don't seem to be very measured and can be very knee jerk.

We should all really be singing from the same hymn sheet. We are a tiny club who shouldn't be where we are or doing what we're doing - yet we are. I don't like the 'punching above our weight' term but we undoubtedly are. We should all be very proud of what has been achieved and continues to be achieved from our amazing football club.

And when times are tough (which they definitely will be again...and probably soon) maybe we should remember what Sean Dyche has done for this club over the last 7 years (and counting) and get behind OUR team and OUR manager. I'm quite sure he's earned a bit of support when the going gets tough.
I agree with this bud. All of it (apart from the 'and probably soon' - I think we are going to be bloody brilliant for the rest of the season - hopefully. ;) ).

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Think that’s the point though Houseboy - who is this “Dyche is God” squad ?
I don’t know anyone on this board who has agreed with everything that SD has said or done
All about perspective - which I think you have from your posts.
It’s fine for people to think he is the best manager we have had in many years - infact you’d be hard pushed to argue anything different based on the facts.
But if that is your view - like it is mine - then it’s easier to accept or rationalise things he has said or done that you don’t agree with than it is if you are someone who gets really down with SD when we lose and then when we win thinks he has been lucky or he’s just done the things you wanted to and should have done earlier (which IMHO is crazy talk often with the benefit of hindsight and always without the full facts that SD and his team have)

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Your last paragraph especially is spot on TVC.

I don't know about this God thing that HB is going on about. I kind of do think Dyche is beyond criticism, but only from a fan point of view and because the bigger picture is he gets it right and we exceed expectations every year, certainly in terms of balanced neutrals expectations. Personally I'd have had Jay in the team much earlier, but that's an opinion of mine, not a criticism of Dyche. Because to criticise would be arrogant and say it's a mistake of Dyche's which I can't possibly know. Transfers are one of the few things that could bee seen as criticism when they don't work out, but then again every club has to have transfer failures. It's impossible not to. It's back to the bigger picture and as long as you achieve expectations and the money keeps rolling in what does it matter which player was good value for money, which wasn't and when were they signed?

Some people will get on their high horse about criticism, but my point is when you have such a good manager you allow them to make mistakes to achieve success, but don't think that you're qualified to say what those mistakes were. Have a shocking manager who clearly gets much more wrong than right and it's a different scenario.

As a mate of mine said a couple of years ago after a dull home draw with Southampton on our way to qualifying for Europe. "I don't agree with a lot of what Dyche does and the style of football, but if I was in charge we'd be heading for relegation. What are people whinging about?"
This user liked this post: houseboy

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm

houseboy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:40 pm
I wasn't quoting anyone there bud,
Fair enough. An easy mistake to make when it came from a post where you quoted one of mine.

Anyway, enough of this malarkey. I'll get back to my Shrine of the Dyche and you can get back to your pins and voodoo effigy. That's a joke, btw.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm
JayRod's first five starts this season resulted in 5 defeats, and four of them were absolute stinkers. Spurs 0-5, Sheff Utd 0-3, Chelsea 2-4, and Everton 0-1. The football wasn't better in any of those.
Same response, different thread. But go on then, I'll humour you since you've gone to the trouble of copying and pasting it.

His first start was 19th Oct at Leicester and we were robbed by VAR. Unlucky not to get a draw.
He starts the next game, 26th Oct against Chelsea, he's partnered with Barnes but still manages to get on the score sheet.
He also starts the game after that, 2nd Nov against Sheffield United, he's once again partnered with Barnes.
Next 4 games he starts on the bench.
7th Dec, Spurs was an abortion on so many levels.
He's on the bench again for the next 2 games, one of which he came on and scored the winner in the one nil win over Bournemouth.
26th Dec and he's unlucky to have a header cleared off the line in Ancelotti's first game as Everton manager.

Hardly a decent consecutive run of games was it?

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:23 am

You misunderstand. I wasn't criticising Rodriguez. I was just saying that the apparent better quality football of the last five games, though I would doubt that was all that true against Leicester and Man U - Man U especially was a defensive masterclass with a couple of good goals, rather than a silky skills exhibition - is not a measure of a single team change.

The Bournemouth match was similar to the Southampton match on day 1 - even first half, took control second half, played some good stuff. Norwich and West Ham were also really good games with quality football and Barnes playing. And as we both agree, Tottenham and Everton were both stinkingly awful performances with very little football played in either - the Everton one, if anything, worse football (but better defending) than Spurs. It's a lot more than Rodriguez for Barnes, and it's a lot to do with the whole team playing better, and the last two games are IMO a lot to do with Southampton and Bournemouth have defences with great gaping holes in them. Rodriguez for Barnes may change the style to an extent, I don't deny it, but it's a whole lot more complicated.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:56 am

ewanrob wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am
I was definatley one of those who wasn't happy, Ive always said I don't mind us loosing as long as we were giving someone a bloody nose...we weren't and something needed to change. Again, Sean has been fortunate in that his hand was forced with the injuries.. and going on Saturday certainly the 2nd half, that was as good as I have seen this team play. Fantastic flowing football, albeit against a demoralised team. I don't think for one moment he would have put Jay and Matej up front and drop Wood and Barnes to the bench during that terrible run. He's not stupid, Im sure Sean knows he has got lucky here....still a great manager mind.
This