Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 pm
I'm in touch with my work colleagues in Spore on a daily basis. They are working from home, minimising the occasions they need to travel around. They've all cut back on eating out - which is a regular feature of Spore in virus-free times.

Spore, South Korea, Japan as well as China (and some other countries) are all on a "no travel to/from" list at work at present.

We have a briefing for UK Friday morning.

EDIT: "minimising the occasions they need to travel around" should not be interpreted as a claim that Spore is "in lockdown." My work colleagues are not saying that.

Also, worth adding - I've read a comment above that Spore "is a corrupt government." Not sure why you would say that. "Paternalistic and authoritarian" is probably a reasonable description. Most, mainstream, European countries are equally as "corrupt" as Spore gov't.
Thank you for the info.

Hope Singaporeclaret is ok!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Singapore clarets last post was kinda scoffing at your dramatic post about getting a bit of a cough and the sniffles.

It was a few weeks ago so if its since killed him i'm gonna look a bit silly but i'll take my chances and repeat the question - where the hell have you got the news that Singapore is on lock down or are you just bullsh*ting?
Tried to find the article I read at work but was not able to, so can be taken as bull.

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 pm

ER4q1BXX0AM5e2l.jpeg
ER4q1BXX0AM5e2l.jpeg (604.63 KiB) Viewed 2491 times

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm

4:20 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 pm
ER4q1BXX0AM5e2l.jpeg
It’s attitudes like there’s as to why this will spread and worsen for us all. Absolute numpties thinking it’s ok to break a quarantine.

This virus is easy to contain but only if people do the sensible things. Anyone potentially exposed need to quarantine themselves and the rest of us should improve personal hygiene - and by that I mean all you dickheads who don’t wash your hands after visiting a public toilet - bloody well do so - I don’t want to pick up diseases from your bodily fluids that you pass onto the door handles. I have witnesses several blokes doing this in the past few days, and it really is a simple thing.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 pm
Flu is the really dangerous one in my opinion. Between 1918 and 1919, flu killed between 20 and 40 million people. More than were killed in the Great war.

Bird Flu is the strain that really worries the scientific community.

H5N1 (since 1997)
H7N9 (since 2013)
H5N6 (since 2014)
H5N8 (since 2016)

Although H5N1, H7N9 and H5N6 don't infect people easily and aren't usually spread from human to human, several people have been infected around the world, leading to a number of deaths. H5N8 has not infected any humans worldwide to date.

The worry is, if any of the above mutate in some way, which virus's frequently do.
But this thing already has mutated and that is just one of the problems
SARS1 was more deadly but not as easily transmitted-this clearly is more easily transmitted AND before the carriers go down ill with it.
Bird flu is a worry to the scientific community but now so is this virus.
Bird flu is a GI infection not a respiratory one in birds and does not cause disease in humans very easily. If it mutates and can get into human cells then it will become a new viral infection for us to deal with and its virulence will depend on how it mutates
For now this bugger should concern us far more than flu.
And I see that it has been reported that the 20th UK person infected here acquired it in the UK, so this is the start of cross infection at home
This user liked this post: paulatky

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:37 pm
I haven't researched anything about SARS so won't comment, reading other posts lowbank claret might be a better person to ask & not me.
The flu virus kills less than 1%.

Using the World Health Orgs method of fatality, last time I calculated it , it was running at 3.37%.

Closed case % has now come down to 7%..

SARS ended up at 9.6%.

So this is not as dangerous as SARS.

However, governments are reacting because it’s still very dangerous.

It appears it’s danger is in the fact that you can have spreaders who might not have any symptoms.

Dr Hilary said on GMB this morning , this virus can survive on a hard surface for 5 days. That surprised me.

The main thing you can take from the in depth data is if your under 50 with no underlying health issues, it’s no more dangerous to you than flu.

The real danger is this can be spread by someone who shows no symptoms, like the UK super spreader.

Add to that a possible 20+ day period from infection to symptoms showings, it can go a long long way in the world. See Italy.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 pm

We'll be reyt.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm
It’s attitudes like there’s as to why this will spread and worsen for us all. Absolute numpties thinking it’s ok to break a quarantine.

This virus is easy to contain but only if people do the sensible things. Anyone potentially exposed need to quarantine themselves and the rest of us should improve personal hygiene - and by that I mean all you dickheads who don’t wash your hands after visiting a public toilet - bloody well do so - I don’t want to pick up diseases from your bodily fluids that you pass onto the door handles. I have witnesses several blokes doing this in the past few days, and it really is a simple thing.
It really is disgusting the number of people who dont wash their hands after using the loo
This user liked this post: Zlatan

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 pm
The flu virus kills less than 1%.

Using the World Health Orgs method of fatality, last time I calculated it , it was running at 3.37%.

Closed case % has now come down to 7%..

SARS ended up at 9.6%.

So this is not as dangerous as SARS.

However, governments are reacting because it’s still very dangerous.

It appears it’s danger is in the fact that you can have spreaders who might not have any symptoms.

Dr Hilary said on GMB this morning , this virus can survive on a hard surface for 5 days. That surprised me.

The main thing you can take from the in depth data is if your under 50 with no underlying health issues, it’s no more dangerous to you than flu.

The real danger is this can be spread by someone who shows no symptoms, like the UK super spreader.

Add to that a possible 20+ day period from infection to symptoms showings, it can go a long long way in the world. See Italy.
Still peddling the same **** stats, I see.

"method of fatality". What the actual **** even is that?

The number of times you've been called out for talking **** on this thread, you'd think you'd be embarrassed enough to pipe down.

Obviously not.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Lowbank rabies is one of the worst infections as it kills most who get it. However very few do get it.SARS killed a bigger percentage of those infected than flu or this coronavirus but this virus has already killed more than SARS did because it is infecting far more people due to the ease with which folk get infected and it therefore will have a greater effect on the world population as it is showing all the signs of becoming a pandemic.
Zlatan I agree about personal hygiene but this is droplet spread into the airways so that most percies do not get sneezed on in the loo. :D :D

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 pm

"...current IFR estimates range from 0.3% to 1%."

(Lowest of 0.3% was later restated but still below 1%)

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 pm

paulatky wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:46 pm
It really is disgusting the number of people who dont wash their hands after using the loo
To be fair, I’ve noticed certain workplaces with empty soap dispensers, whether right or wrong it can be ignored any washing, more importance goes towards food places restaurants, it just isn’t practical in certain environments, due to the nature of needing the toilet at any given time, the bladder & bowels are unpredictable & we’ve all been caught out without a toilet nowhere in sight nevermind clean water & soap.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm
Still peddling the same **** stats, I see.

"method of fatality". What the actual **** even is that?

The number of times you've been called out for talking **** on this thread, you'd think you'd be embarrassed enough to pipe down.

Obviously not.

Dont let them bully you lowbank,because thats what it is.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 pm
To be fair, I’ve noticed certain workplaces with empty soap dispensers, whether right or wrong it can be ignored any washing, more importance goes towards food places restaurants, it just isn’t practical in certain environments, due to the nature of needing the toilet at any given time, the bladder & bowels are unpredictable & we’ve all been caught out without a toilet nowhere in sight nevermind clean water & soap.
Hand gel is far better than soap as it contains ethanol
This user liked this post: thatdberight

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:40 pm

paulatky wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 pm
Dont let them bully you lowbank,because thats what it is.
Yes. I'm an agent of the various governments and epidemiologists who are trying to discredit the only person who's seen what's really going on.

Rumbled.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 pm
I always keep some on me, it's habit when I used to walk the dogs, not the cleanest of jobs tidying up after them & without going into too much detail, sloppy stools in the dark it's needed on rare occasions.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 pm
I always keep some on me, it's habit when I used to walk the dogs, not the cleanest of jobs tidying up after them & without going into too much detail, sloppy stools in the dark it's needed on rare occasions.
Safest bet is to leave it be. It’s dark so unlikely anyone will see.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:50 pm
Safest bet is to leave it be. It’s dark so unlikely anyone will see.
Bad idea down at the park, kids play during the daytime.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Washing with an antibacterial soap seems to be the best of both worlds (according to some report I read -
https://msphere.asm.org/content/4/5/e00474-19)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm
I was always rolling around in dog muck as a kid. It’ll help them to man up.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm

and the rest of us should improve personal hygiene - and by that I mean all you dickheads who don’t wash your hands after visiting a public toilet - bloody well do so - I don’t want to pick up diseases from your bodily fluids that you pass onto the door handles. I have witnesses several blokes doing this in the past few days, and it really is a simple thing.
It doesn’t help when there are only two sinks where it’s touch and go if there is soap and hardly any hot water for all those using the male toilets in the Bob Lord stand. The club should put up some hand sanitizer machines like they have in hospitals”

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:17 am

Very good point about hand sanitisers.

The club must have had ESP for FINALLY getting hot water in the JHU (and by God, hot means hot). But some sanitiser at strategic points may end up saving lives of fellow clarets if this thing goes tits up, because even a junior school kid can do the maths with 20,000 people and a 1% mortality rate of those infected (and with two weeks of infection before symptoms, we won’t know until after its happened).

Stopping people getting infected is the key.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:12 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 pm
Thank you for the info.

Hope Singaporeclaret is ok!
As said in that post, life going on here, just people are opting to spend less time in crowded places but not really avoiding.

As I said earlier, some of the bigger MNC with management outside of Asia are taking extra measures but for the majority of people, schools are open, work is ongoing as normal. I guess the only change I've noticed is less business trips.

Because of SARS people are generally aware of managing personal hygiene and I think that has helped a lot.

SingaporeClarets

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Couple of things of note, or perhaps not to some.
I did quote one poster from Singapore, how it was going in Singapore.
I noted today a comment in the press that Singapore was under a similar lock down to China.
I wonder if that’s why Singapore claret wasn’t able to reply.
They have probably locked down the Internet, could be wrong.

Hope he can comment soon!
Singapore is not under lock down. It's not easy to post photos directly here but people were out and about when I walked the dog this morning and I'm about to head out shopping and expect as usual that the car park will be almost full and the shops not empty.

Clearly the internet is working, it's not India where they can shut down the internet as they wish.

If we want to talk about corrupt governments, look at Indonesia they have 0 cases which is utter horse ****. Then also look at Malaysia, the flip flopping ex prime minister quit his old racist party which has run Malaysia since formation in coslition, set up a new racist party and won government in coalition with non racists because of the corruption in his old party. That coalition as expected has now failed because they have been unable to reform Malaysia's racist constitution as they promised. So now he wants to form a coalition with his old racist party and also a party of religious extremists who want to introduce punishments not even fit for the middle ages. The combination of this virus and that collection of arseholes running Malaysia is going to collapse their economy and get the internet shut down and introduce lock downs to quell the riots that will surely erupt when the new government punish the populace who don't share their race or religion for voting in parties who believe in freedom, fairness and equality for all Malaysians regardless of race or religion.

If people want to point fingers in SE Asia, look elsewhere than Singapore, the stench is unavoidable.

I've not been able to reply because I read only infrequently and tend to work long hours during the week. I'm also not the only poster based in Singapore.

SingaporeClarets

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:37 am

As there seems to be a particular interest in Singapore, I recommend you sign up to the government's WhatsApp group for real information.

http://go.gov.sg/whatsapp

Of course the internet is required for this, so no need to worry about the no. 1 way the government is communicating with its citizens.

You may find transparent information on the current status here:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

And you can watch last night's update briefing here:

http://go.gov.sg/profmak-28feb

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:24 am

Soap and warm water is by far and away the most effective method to rid your hands of germs.

In fact if using alcohol gel without washing can actually increase fauna on your hands after about 15 minutes of not followed up by washing.

Wash and dry your hands effectively for about 15 seconds. Use gel when no other alternative.

Just trust me on this one....

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm
I have a new found respect for you now

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 am

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:12 am
As said in that post, life going on here, just people are opting to spend less time in crowded places but not really avoiding.

As I said earlier, some of the bigger MNC with management outside of Asia are taking extra measures but for the majority of people, schools are open, work is ongoing as normal. I guess the only change I've noticed is less business trips.

Because of SARS people are generally aware of managing personal hygiene and I think that has helped a lot.
All well and good but what about the chaos, the bodies piling up in the streets, the looting, the fear, for God sake man tell us about the fear!

SingaporeClarets

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 am

I must be part of the conspiracy to cover it all up then :lol:
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:59 am

That was my first suspicion, the real Singaporeclarets is in a Gulag by now and some Government agent has taken over the account.

We are through the looking glass now.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am

Heading over to Venice in Monday for 5 days. Just hope that the public areas reopen on Sunday as expected.

I actually land at midday on the Saturday but I'm going to miss the spurs game as a precaution.

Biggest hassle is going to be self isolating for two weeks on instruction of my work... Far from ideal!

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:04 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:24 am
Soap and warm water is by far and away the most effective method to rid your hands of germs.

In fact if using alcohol gel without washing can actually increase fauna on your hands after about 15 minutes of not followed up by washing.

Wash and dry your hands effectively for about 15 seconds. Use gel when no other alternative.

Just trust me on this one....
What a load of bolox!

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am

For certain viruses alcohol gel has to be at least 60% alcohol. Purell advanced has 70%
Less than 60% has no beneficial effect on norovirus-I know as I am on a ship with it presently
No idea how effective alcohol gels will be for this virus and what the concentration of alcohol is in other alcohol gels.
Hand washing in soapy water for t least 20 seconds but also knowing how to wash hands effectively is equally important

All should take time to view how to wash hands nhs
When this really takes off bare below the elbow may be a belt and braces addition when washing. No hand jewelry, wrist watches as these prevent effective cleaning of hands and wrists.
The sooner we all start this the better-been doing it for 2 weeks and so far avoided norovirus
Last edited by mdd2 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:20 am

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 pm
But this thing already has mutated and that is just one of the problems
SARS1 was more deadly but not as easily transmitted-this clearly is more easily transmitted AND before the carriers go down ill with it.
Bird flu is a worry to the scientific community but now so is this virus.
Bird flu is a GI infection not a respiratory one in birds and does not cause disease in humans very easily. If it mutates and can get into human cells then it will become a new viral infection for us to deal with and its virulence will depend on how it mutates
For now this bugger should concern us far more than flu.
And I see that it has been reported that the 20th UK person infected here acquired it in the UK, so this is the start of cross infection at home
You do talk some rubbish. How can something that hasn't killed a single person in the UK as yet, be worse than something that we have a vaccine for but still kills 10,000 every year?

Oh, and what evidence do you have that Covid-19 has already mutated? None I suspect.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:22 am

Your public service announcement was brought to you by Zlatan...

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-bo ... our-hands/
This user liked this post: mdd2

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 am

Yes I do talk rubbish at times but when it comes to infectious diseases I am happy with my knowledge and I am sorry you do not understand the difference between high infectivity and low mortality and low infectivity but high mortality.This looks like the former as is flu, SARS1 was the latter
Haven't said Covid-19 has mutated since the coronavirus mutated to its present form. The mutations I was referring to was the bird flu strains we await to mutate to a form that can widely infect humans.As that hasn't happened our concerns should be this pending pandemic which will be with us soon as the trickle of infections in people with neither contact with countries with endemic infections nor any apparent connection with people returning from these areas increases.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 am

I read this morning a dog has caught it?

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:00 am

Dr Mike Ryan, WHO's emergency programme chief, added: "We are on the highest level of alert and highest level in terms of spread and of impact. But that is not in order to alarm or scare people.
"People need to take a reality check now and really understand an all-of-government, an all-of-society approach is needed

Some of the more enlightened amongst us have seen this coming but have been ridiculed and bullied on here.

The Governments has a big decision to make

Peoples health v economy health

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:05 am

If it's people versus economy, economy wins every time.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:05 am
If it's people versus economy, economy wins every time.
Sadly true

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am

mdd2 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 am
Yes I do talk rubbish at times but when it comes to infectious diseases I am happy with my knowledge and I am sorry you do not understand the difference between high infectivity and low mortality and low infectivity but high mortality.This looks like the former as is flu, SARS1 was the latter
Haven't said Covid-19 has mutated since the coronavirus mutated to its present form. The mutations I was referring to was the bird flu strains we await to mutate to a form that can widely infect humans.As that hasn't happened our concerns should be this pending pandemic which will be with us soon as the trickle of infections in people with neither contact with countries with endemic infections nor any apparent connection with people returning from these areas increases.
You haven't said that Covid-19 has mutated? Look at the very first line of your earlier post.

"But this thing already has mutated and that is just one of the problems." This thing? You weren't referring to Flu with that statement.

Like I just said, you do talk some rubbish.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 am
I read this morning a dog has caught it?
Is that a FACT Frank? Strange that. We've already been told that family pets are safe from it.

The dog tested “weak positive” for the coronavirus, the city’s agricultural and fisheries department said in a statement, without giving further details. Officials will carry out further tests to confirm whether the dog has really been infected with the disease, or if it was a result of environmental contamination of its mouth and nose.

Much is still not known about the virus that is spreading around the world after emerging in central China late last year. It is thought to have transferred to humans from bats and has been shown to spread in a number of ways, but the Hong Kong agricultural department said it doesn’t have evidence that pet animals can be infected, or be a source of infection to people.

This is how scare stories start. Social media has a lot to answer for.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:25 am

It had to mutate to infect us
Genetic heterogeneity it is still a coronivirus
And there is little need to be disparaging in disagreeing about things
To set the record straight this virus mutates to become infectious to humans
As of now the authorities have not said it has mutated but it will have. RNA viruses are unstable and many mutate frequently of the order of 1% in a few days
Humans have done it at 1% over a few million years. So chances are it has mutated but those mutations will be of no consequence and many are not successful and the wild type persists

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 am
I must be part of the conspiracy to cover it all up then :lol:
Good to hear from you. Thankyou for the feedback on what’s going on there.
I think the interest is that statistically Singapore appears to be progressing differently to other parts of the world.
I was wondering if the demographic of Singapore has a influencing the outbreak there.
I have not had time to look into it.
Maybe will have when get back from the Newcastle game.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:05 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:20 am
How can something that hasn't killed a single person in the UK as yet, be worse than something that we have a vaccine for but still kills 10,000 every year?
I said the same when someone suggested it would be a bad idea to drop a nuclear bomb on us. I mean, literally, more people are killed by spiders in the UK every year than have ever been killed by nuclear bombs here. So how can they be worse?!?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:36 am

thatdberight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:05 am
I said the same when someone suggested it would be a bad idea to drop a nuclear bomb on us. I mean, literally, more people are killed by spiders in the UK every year than have ever been killed by nuclear bombs here. So how can they be worse?!?
That's a rather pointless anology though, isn't it? The risks are entirely different.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:36 am
That's a rather pointless anology though, isn't it? The risks are entirely different.
Utterly stupid analogy, more like. Totally bizarre.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 am
Utterly stupid analogy, more like. Totally bizarre.
I was just being kind. ;)

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:36 am
Of course it is.

But the point remains that your view that this is a trivial issue is just as bizarre and nearly as far away from what science there is as LowBankClaret's prognostications of doom.

The science, nascent as it is, seems to suggest that, if left unchecked and just allowed to run its course, this could kill 400k to 1M in the UK (lower end I think has most credibility). That's not a flu season by any stretch of the imagination.

Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it's by definition trivial or apocalyptic. It's in the middle. Neither sticking your fingers in your ears nor going all Chicken Licken is a sensible response.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:55 am

Hopefully it will improve general hygiene. I’m appalled at the lack of this in so many people, who seem to have the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude.