Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:09 am

Charlton Athletic finally rid themselves of their Belgian owner Roland Duchâtelet but things aren't all sweetness and light at The Valley. It was sold in November last year, just four months ago, but things aren't all they should be and the promises of them becoming a wealthy Premier League club look to be some distance away.

The new majority shareholder is (or was) His Excellency Tahnoon Nimer.

H.E Tahnoon Nimer is the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Business Development, the private office of Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, and oversees the running of more than 60 companies including energy, insurance, broadcasting, shipping and sports businesses. He has strong ties with governments and multi-nationals across the globe and has a track record of supporting emerging businesses. In 2018, he was named as a Global Ambassador for Peace. His Excellency is the majority shareholder in East Street Investments through his Abu Dhabi based corporation, Panorama Magic General Contracting LLC, and will form part of the new Charlton Athletic board.

So far, so good, but then yesterday Matt Southall (Exececutive Chairman), issued the following statement.

I want to let Charlton fans know and understand what is happening before rumours and speculation run completely out of control.

On Monday, Tahnoon Nimer sent an incredibly damaging letter on behalf of Panorama Magic General Contracting LLC to members of the club's Senior Management Team. In the letter, he made allegations about me and my conduct, which my lawyers immediately rebutted.

It has been brought to my attention that he has repeated and, indeed, expanded upon the malicious falsehoods made in the initial letter. As a consequence, I will now be meeting with my lawyers to discuss an action for defamation. However, my immediate priority is to protect the club and its staff from these damaging statements.

Also contained in that letter were claims he had appointed a Chief Executive Officer, an action that I am advised by the club's lawyers would be outside the parameters of Panorama's influence. Even more worryingly, the letter also threatened members of the senior management team with legal action if they did not comply with his demands. This is completely unacceptable and detrimental to the morale of such a loyal and dedicated staff and the smooth running of the football club.

One of the claims in the letter was that 'disadvantageous contracts' had been authorised by me. I can only conclude that the majority shareholder disagreed with my decision to give Lee Bowyer a new contract on the terms agreed as that is the only major contract signed in my time as Executive Chairman.

For the avoidance of doubt, both Jonathan Heller and I have passed the EFL’s Owners and Directors Test. However, the majority shareholder has yet to satisfy the EFL in respect of the source of his funds, despite numerous requests made by the EFL and a number of deadlines that have been ignored by him.

This failure obviously limited our ability to deal in the transfer window although I liaised closely with the EFL and made sure they were aware of every deal we were planning so that they could be sanctioned appropriately. I continue to be in close contact with the EFL who are also aware of the dispute between me and the majority shareholder.

It is a crucial time of the season and it would seem appropriate that all the stakeholders direct their efforts in support of the team and the club. Therefore, it is disappointing that the majority shareholder should act in such a manner and be attempting to purchase Dinamo Bucharest to the point where he posted a picture of himself in Romania during Saturday’s fixture.

The Board and the Senior Management Team are determined that Charlton Athletic be run in a sensible, responsible and sustainable manner but this is being made very difficult by the majority shareholder’s actions and his failure to provide either the necessary satisfaction to the EFL or the funds that he has consistently promised to invest. To date, not a single penny of the promised funds has been provided.

The Board will continue to make decisions in the best interests of club, its fans, its players and its staff with the full support of the dedicated and loyal senior management team

We look forward to a successful conclusion to the season.

And finally today, a further,shorter statement from Southall.

It is with regret that the board of Charlton Athletic Football Club accepts Tahnoon Nimer's resignation as a director with immediate effect.

Following the events of March 9th, his position is now untenable and the board has no option but to accept his resignation.

The board of Charlton Athletic and the Senior Management Team will continue to run the club with its best long-term interests at heart.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Re: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:18 am

You couldnt make it up

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am

So much for the 'fit and proper person' checks if the person concerned does not respond to the EFL. It would appear that they are quite toothless in such cases, however, it appears that the 'deal' was done before the checks were carried through.
As dp says "You couldnt make it up"

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:55 am

Apparently the sale was confirmed on 2nd January, just over two months ago.

Update now is that Tahnoon Nimer says he hasn't resigned and is now taking legal action to remove Southall.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:55 am

And just to make matters worse Charlton are looking at relegation. This is one magic money tree that bore poisoned fruit. Overseas finance is not always the answer.

It does make you appreciate what a good job SD and the board are achieving with our club.

jamesisaburyfan
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by jamesisaburyfan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Firthy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:55 am
And just to make matters worse Charlton are looking at relegation. This is one magic money tree that bore poisoned fruit. Overseas finance is not always the answer.

It does make you appreciate what a good job SD and the board are achieving with our club.
You don't know how lucky you are.

Actually, you probably do.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 pm

To think some on here crave owners who are not genuine Clarets.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:13 pm

It's a huge mess at Charlton. I went to the Charton v Boro match at The Valley on Saturday - the first time I've been there since we won the Championship in 2016 - and the atmosphere was fantastic. It's a great club with so much potential and a loyal fan base. They deserve so much more.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Did I read that Southampton is for sale at 250 million ? Doesn’t sound a crazy price for an established pl club. But of course there may well be debts that come with any purchase

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:46 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:19 pm
Did I read that Southampton is for sale at 250 million ? Doesn’t sound a crazy price for an established pl club. But of course there may well be debts that come with any purchase
that is for the majority owner's share - not 100% ownership

- there are a lot of strange financial issues around Southampton and I am still cautious about whether the club is really up for sale - the Chinese do not usually give up so quickly on such an investment especially when it is an important bridging investment in support of the Chinese BRI initiative (new silk road) - There is plenty of detail about the finances and why Southampton is a key point of investment in the Magic Money Tree thread
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

A great football club and their supporters deserve far better.

How lucky we are.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm

My mate is the new CFO at Charlton. Think they are banking on a sheff weds points deduction to keep them up.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm

His previous role was at Bolton under Ken A and before that at Palace under Simon J so he has probably seen it all

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Great shame that turd owners sell to other turd owners.

Salisbury City was busy owing to a anker chairman. He sold for a pound to a Moroccan 'millionaire'.

Moroccan did not put any money in at all and just emprktied the safe and left. Refused to sign club over or pay any debts. Club folded. Reformed as Salisbury FC 2 leagues down.
Moroccan never heard of again.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:03 pm

TBH, I wondered this when discussing the Bury fiasco, but exactly how binding (I.E. legal) is the fit and proper persons test? If party A wants to sell to party B and the EFL say party B ain't fit, then what's to stop them simply doing it anyway. A sale is a sale and if the necessary ownership documents are all present and change hands along with the money, the EFL's views and their (admittedly useless) test can be seen as totally irrelevant in the matter, especially by people who assume they'll never pass it. Which brings me to this guy. He's obviously aware he won't pass it (so he REALLY MUST be a wrong 'un!!) and is ducking and dodging, but genuine question, can he resign from the board and still remain majority shareholder?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:03 pm
TBH, I wondered this when discussing the Bury fiasco, but exactly how binding (I.E. legal) is the fit and proper persons test? If party A wants to sell to party B and the EFL say party B ain't fit, then what's to stop them simply doing it anyway. A sale is a sale and if the necessary ownership documents are all present and change hands along with the money, the EFL's views and their (admittedly useless) test can be seen as totally irrelevant in the matter, especially by people who assume they'll never pass it. Which brings me to this guy. He's obviously aware he won't pass it (so he REALLY MUST be a wrong 'un!!) and is ducking and dodging, but genuine question, can he resign from the board and still remain majority shareholder?
Binding enough to see a club expelled from the League apparently - if you look at Bury

yes to the last bit

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
The league can, and should, prevent any sale to someone who hasn't passed their checks and they have the power to stop them playing in the league, a power they have to exercise.

On the subject of resigning from the board and still remain the majority shareholder - Jack Walker was never a director at Blackburn. Likewise, Abramovich isn't a director at Chelsea.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:10 pm
The league can, and should, prevent any sale to someone who hasn't passed their checks and they have the power to stop them playing in the league, a power they have to exercise.

On the subject of resigning from the board and still remain the majority shareholder - Jack Walker was never a director at Blackburn. Likewise, Abramovich isn't a director at Chelsea.
Not sure they can prevent the sale Tony - Bury proved that - they can only refuse them membership of the League if they don't seek to abide by the League's rules. Whether they should be able to is a different matter

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Well what seems to have happened at both Bury and Charlton (which kind of suggests it may be normal practice) is that the sale has gone through and THEN the new owner is examined under the EFL's test. Which means if he doesn't meet the criteria it's all rather late and he can 2 finger them. A la Dale!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Meanwhile back at Charlton the Chairman has sacked the club secretary for acting on the majority owner's behalf with the EFL

https://charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/ma ... -the-club/

are you struggling to keep up - I know I am

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:12 pm
Not sure they can prevent the sale Tony - Bury proved that - they can only refuse them membership of the League if they don't seek to abide by the League's rules. Whether they should be able to is a different matter
Which is what I meant really. They can't stop someone buying the club but they can stop them from playing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm
Meanwhile back at Charlton the Chairman has sacked the club secretary for acting on the majority owner's behalf with the EFL

https://charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/ma ... -the-club/

are you struggling to keep up - I know I am
What a mess - hard to know what to believe to be honest.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Interesting opinion from Simon Jordan

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/12 ... 9895380992

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm

This blog piece from Voice of the Valley gives a clearer picture of just who the dodgy ones might be (clue they have already passed the fit and proper test)

http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2019 ... -implodes/

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm

LS7 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm
My mate is the new CFO at Charlton. Think they are banking on a sheff weds points deduction to keep them up.
Hull are dropping like a stone ...i think it will be Hull Luton & Barnsley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Significant line at the end of the piece on VofV which reads: "The EFL must take its share of the blame for having failed, once again, to intervene effectively, even though it has now confirmed the deal was never ratified. Regardless, it has presided over yet another sorry mess."

What on earth has Dave Baldwin done deciding to take on the role at the league?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Statement from the League.

The EFL notes the concerning developments, including a number of unhelpful media comments, emanating from Charlton Athletic over the past 24 hours.

The League has been working closely with the relevant parties since an initial application for a change of control was made.

The relevant parties were notified in January that they were eligible under the provisions of the Owners’ and Directors’ Test in accordance with EFL Regulations.

In parallel, the EFL had also made clear the requirements in respect to the source and sufficiency of funding necessary to fund the Club until June 2021. Those matters remain outstanding.

As a result of not receiving the required information the Club was placed under a registration embargo and that position remains as the EFL seeks assurances that the necessary funds are available and for that funding to be placed in the Club.

The EFL’s position has been reserved and it is considering with its external advisors what further action should be taken under its Regulations. The EFL will make no further comment at this time.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 pm
Significant line at the end of the piece on VofV which reads: "The EFL must take its share of the blame for having failed, once again, to intervene effectively, even though it has now confirmed the deal was never ratified. Regardless, it has presided over yet another sorry mess."

Some people love a challenge like this rather than sitting back and enjoying the easy life. I'm all for the latter but perhaps Dave Baldwin is just the sort of person needed at the EFL.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Twitter has been poking fun because today is the EFL's day of action - which is supposed to highlight it's efforts in the community - but is being labelled as the one day each year they turn up for work - incidentally they have still not publicly released the reviews into their own governance and how they handled the Bury crises

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Sausage wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:57 pm
Some people love a challenge like this rather than sitting back and enjoying the easy life. I'm all for the latter but perhaps Dave Baldwin is just the sort of person needed at the EFL.
He'll certainly be a huge improvement on Shaun Harvey, but there again I'd be a huge improvement on that buffoon. I do know that Dave going there is the league's gain and our loss.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm
He'll certainly be a huge improvement on Shaun Harvey, but there again I'd be a huge improvement on that buffoon. I do know that Dave going there is the league's gain and our loss.
If you had seen your namesake at the Stoke fans forum last night you will understand just how difficult things will be for him with such a divergent base of perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_yDgpEmVs - from 5:50 in

Clubs in the Championship are in good shape - but no mention that the league lost over £500m in the last round of full accounts

EDIT and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U28aPW5-ZHg - from 5:20 in
Last edited by Chester Perry on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Actually it looks like Southall's the wrong 'un! (And he's got a few mates at it too!!)

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
I assume the ultimate sanction is that the EFL can refuse to allow the club to participate in the league. You could still buy the club but it wouldn't really be worth anything.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Maybe it's time clubs held the EFL to account for not enforcing their own rules.
How can so many people buy into clubs when looking back they were never fit, never proper, and in most cases never honest. Why should clubs pay the ultimate price.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Sausage wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:13 pm
It's a huge mess at Charlton. I went to the Charton v Boro match at The Valley on Saturday - the first time I've been there since we won the Championship in 2016 - and the atmosphere was fantastic. It's a great club with so much potential and a loyal fan base. They deserve so much more.
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Charlton, often the forgotten club of London. I do hope all works out well for them and they stay up and, hopefully, start to prosper. I've often said if I lived in London I'd probably choose them as my team.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:47 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 pm
Maybe it's time clubs held the EFL to account for not enforcing their own rules.
How can so many people buy into clubs when looking back they were never fit, never proper, and in most cases never honest. Why should clubs pay the ultimate price.
The only thing you can get the clubs to agree on is that they don't like how the EFL is run, not that they can agree on how they want it to run the leagues

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:56 pm
Statement from the League.

The EFL notes the concerning developments, including a number of unhelpful media comments, emanating from Charlton Athletic over the past 24 hours.

The League has been working closely with the relevant parties since an initial application for a change of control was made.

The relevant parties were notified in January that they were eligible under the provisions of the Owners’ and Directors’ Test in accordance with EFL Regulations.

In parallel, the EFL had also made clear the requirements in respect to the source and sufficiency of funding necessary to fund the Club until June 2021. Those matters remain outstanding.

As a result of not receiving the required information the Club was placed under a registration embargo and that position remains as the EFL seeks assurances that the necessary funds are available and for that funding to be placed in the Club.

The EFL’s position has been reserved and it is considering with its external advisors what further action should be taken under its Regulations. The EFL will make no further comment at this time.
The proof of funding issue is what ultimately led to the demise of Bury - that is the road Charlton are now on

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Innit just grand 'aving local folk as owners?
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Bosscat

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:11 pm

David Conn of the Guardian hinting that the Bury review recommended a change to the rules (which has been accepted in principal) that can prevent the change of ownership until funding has been proven - just not had time to put in place yet

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1 ... 8880499713

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:11 pm
David Conn of the Guardian hinting that the Bury review recommended a change to the rules (which has been accepted in principal) that can prevent the change of ownership until funding has been proven - just not had time to put in place yet

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1 ... 8880499713
About time but surely common sense should have dictated this anyway, rather than waiting till your fingers get burned.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Slightly odd club size wise to attract the interest of some generic,crazed oil rich Arab . I wonder if he does a sideline in sibling kidnap like another very famous very rich Arab gentleman ?

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm

One of my contacts down here, who is some sort of bond holder for Charlton, was adamant that they had found the holy grail this time.

So many clubs hoping for a mysterious banker so that they can cheat at Monopoly.

Meanwhile Burnley just keep churning out steady profits...

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:57 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:14 pm
I assume the ultimate sanction is that the EFL can refuse to allow the club to participate in the league. You could still buy the club but it wouldn't really be worth anything.
Unless of course you were playing real life Monopoly and you were about to put houses (or hotels) on it. I would suggest that's always been in the back (well more to the middle/front) of Dale's mind for one! Covenant or no covenant. And I assume Charlton aren't lucky enough to even have one of those.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm

According to Simon Jordan you can buy before the, 'Fit and Proper Persons Check' as the deal is between buyer and club and outside the remit of the FA/Football League.

You then need to provide the evidence to operate within the rules of the Football League.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Apart from calling Bob Lord a Mill Owner, I like listening to Jordan as he doesn't pull his punches and having a former owner speaking is far better than listening to some former players.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Colburn_Claret

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm

"I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Charlton, often the forgotten club of London. I do hope all works out well for them and they stay up and, hopefully, start to prosper. I've often said if I lived in London I'd probably choose them as my team."

Me too (along with Brentford and Leyton Orient).

They, Charlton, seem to be a throwback to pre-PL/Sky football. They've had problems before - when they had to play at Palace and West Ham - but they're a club that are ignored even by the London media.

They've also produced a fair number of players in the last few years who, in days of old, would have stayed until in to their twenties but are now sold as teenagers to get funds in.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm

ecc wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm
"I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Charlton, often the forgotten club of London. I do hope all works out well for them and they stay up and, hopefully, start to prosper. I've often said if I lived in London I'd probably choose them as my team."

Me too (along with Brentford and Leyton Orient).They, Charlton, seem to be a throwback to pre-PL/Sky football. They've had problems before - when they had to play at Palace and West Ham - but they're a club that are ignored even by the London media. They've also produced a fair number of players in the last few years who, in days of old, would have stayed until in to their twenties but are now sold as teenagers to get funds in.
Simon Inglis's book " The Football Grounds of Britain ", gives a brilliant account of the battle that Charlton's loyal fans fought to get back to the Valley ... It's overdue a revised edition, given the amount of Redevelopment and New Grounds since it was published around 1991, but still a great read ..

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 pm

It's easily forgotten, but it's not THAT long ago that they yo yo'd a little bit between Championship and PL, but then had several really successful seasons in the PL and must have thought the were pretty much a fixture there. Just shows how easily it can all change. One bad season and a relegation and for some clubs it's oblivion and a very, very long way back.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 pm

This has turned very nasty very quickly -

https://charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/ma ... instagram/

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm
According to Simon Jordan you can buy before the, 'Fit and Proper Persons Check' as the deal is between buyer and club and outside the remit of the FA/Football League.

You then need to provide the evidence to operate within the rules of the Football League.
Just this. No-one can prevent anyone from buying a football club, it's a private company, but the problem lies with whether the league will let you operate outside of it's guidelines. They can theoretically expel the club if the rules are broken. Whether they really would is another matter. Bury were expelled of course but only after numerous chances where given and the future of the club could not in any way be guaranteed. I'm not certain any club has survived when it has got to the state Bury was in. Bolton somehow survived but at least there was some kind of plan and of course, although it shouldn't matter, they are a much bigger club.