Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Screenshot_20200310-200856_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know we will be above Holland by Saturday. Come on we can do this.
Strange kind of humour at this point.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Personally I’d like him banned from the forum because he ruins debate
Once again we agree.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:07 pm
What makes you think I dont , for one minute, take this serious?

Austria and Slovenia have beefed up border controls with Italy.

Borders provide protection.

However , in many parts of europe , thanks to the EUs policies, the borders between nations are non existent and the physical infrastructure of former checkpoints, has been allowed to fall into disrepair. Had it not, border checks would have surely helped in quarantining.

FREE MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE = FREE MOVEMENT OF VIRUS.
OK. I really don't like the idea of politics being brought into this discussion. I voted Brexit and I am a lifelong Tory but for the love of God! This is not, in any way, shape or form. A time nor place to be politically point scoring. Right now, nations in their own right are trying to combat a global issue which WOULD have come to the UK. We ARE NOT some empire state anymore. Jesus! Even I get that. We're part of a big, wide world. We don't rule the world anymore! We have to integrate, adapt and embrace. Yes! We can maintain and develop our culture but bloody hell! We're part of a global market. People travel. For all you know. The Queen may have passed it onto a maid and vice versa. I'm all for Brexit but I am not so insular as to point fingers at johnny foreigner and blame them for everything. Jeez! We spent the best part of 500 years being a nasty, racist, dictatorial, tyrannical regime. Where we spread worldwide. Now I am a patriot and agree in principle with Brexit. But bloody hell! This isn't the time, nor place.
This user liked this post: dsr

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:21 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

However , in many parts of europe , thanks to the EUs policies, the borders between nations are non existent and the physical infrastructure of former checkpoints, has been allowed to fall into disrepair. Had it not, border checks would have surely helped in quarantining.

I'm pretty sure there are border checks between China (and Singapore, Japan etc) and Italy. Didn't really stop the virus spreading there did it?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:21 pm
I'm pretty sure there are border checks between China (and Singapore, Japan etc) and Italy. Didn't really stop the virus spreading there did it?

Point to where I said "it would stop it spreading" . I chose my words carefully.

What I actually said was "border checks would have surely helped in quarantining."

Without border checks between Singapore and Japan and Italy how much worse would it have been?

I don't know.

Neither do you.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm
Strange kind of humour at this point.
Yeah. People are strange though and you need to always look on the bright side of life and try to smile like you mean it. You cunning linguist you.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Point to where I said "it would stop it spreading" . I chose my words carefully.

What I actually said was "border checks would have surely helped in quarantining."

Without border checks between Singapore and Japan and Italy how much worse would it have been?

I don't know.

Neither do you.
Shoot them at the border would be the easy explanation of what you meant.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Claret32yrs wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm
OK. I really don't like the idea of politics being brought into this discussion. I voted Brexit and I am a lifelong Tory but for the love of God! This is not, in any way, shape or form. A time nor place to be politically point scoring. Right now, nations in their own right are trying to combat a global issue which WOULD have come to the UK. We ARE NOT some empire state anymore. Jesus! Even I get that. We're part of a big, wide world. We don't rule the world anymore! We have to integrate, adapt and embrace. Yes! We can maintain and develop our culture but bloody hell! We're part of a global market. People travel. For all you know. The Queen may have passed it onto a maid and vice versa. I'm all for Brexit but I am not so insular as to point fingers at johnny foreigner and blame them for everything. Jeez! We spent the best part of 500 years being a nasty, racist, dictatorial, tyrannical regime. Where we spread worldwide. Now I am a patriot and agree in principle with Brexit. But bloody hell! This isn't the time, nor place.
To clarify, for the final time.

Im simply suggesting that border controls could help in the stopping the virus spreading by people from my own race!!!!

Austria to close border to arrivals from Italy over coronavirus – POLITICO
https://www.politico.eu/article/austria ... ronavirus/

Austria and Slovenia impose tight border restrictions with Italy over coronavirus - The Local
https://www.thelocal.at/20200310/austri ... -virus/amp

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Without them how much worse would it have been?

I don't know.

Neither do you.
You didn't say those exact words (and I didn't accuse you of doing, so it seems strange you should focus on that) but your argument is still fundamentally flawed as proved by the fact that people moved between countries where they do not have free movement and spread the virus.

Free movement would have made zero difference unless it had an impact on the number of people moving between the countries. Border controls weren't stopping people because of the virus so had no impact on the spread.
Last edited by TheFamilyCat on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 pm
Shoot them at the border would be the easy explanation of what you meant.
As wrong as its daft.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm
You didn't say those exact words (and I didn't accuse you of doing, so it seems strange you should focus on that) but your argument is still fundamentally flawed as proved by the fact that people moved between countries where they do not have free movement and spread the virus.
Given the fact that you said it didn't "stop" it spreading. I thought it was reasonable to point out that I wasnt saying it would stop it spreading.

Repeat- how much more worse would it have been without free movement?

I dont know

Neither do you.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm
Repeat- how much more worse would it have been without free movement?

I dont know

Neither do you.
I have edited my last post while you were writing, which answers this question.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:38 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm
I have edited my last post while you were writing, which answers this question.
Why did you think Austria and Slovenia have imposed restrictions at their borders?
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Im simply suggesting that border controls could help in the stopping the virus spreading by people from my own race!!!!

Austria and Slovenia impose tight border restrictions with Italy over coronavirus - The Local
[/

Edited
Last edited by Lowbankclaret on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm

We are not a race. We're a nation largely built up of, as much as you'd like to deny it. Germanic, Dutch, Scandinavian and other Northern Europeans. Race doesn't enter this, or any other sensible argument. The British are not a race. We're a mix-match derivative of European cultures. I do agree that border controls may help but that horse has bolted through the open gate. So stop. We are where we are. Whether you or I like it. We work together as a global entity now. We have to. It's not rocket science that borders need checking or closing. What isn't needed is mass hysterical points scoring when it, as suggested; could easily have been the Queen (or similar) who brought it back. We could become a Shogun and ban all outside influence, but don't think that'd last long.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm
As wrong as its daft.
I doubt border checks would help now . Its spreading from within due to air travel. Best thing we can all do is ride this out on our luxury cushioned toilet roll stockpiles.
And don't eat any infected dog meat as that is what I was informed started it all , just this morning by an expert.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Right, sorry it’s come to this. I’ve enjoyed the debate and the discussion (heated at times) but I’m going to have to leave the thread and I’ll not reply as often as I would because it’s already degenerated into the next “Ringo” show. I can’t abide how (s)he/they debate, so I’ll give it a miss now.

Thanks to all for your discussions.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr Claret-On-A-T-Rex

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm
The only person calling for this solution is the RAVING RACIST.

No one else

As said previously, the Slovenian and austrian governments are , in your view, apparently, " raving racists "

Get in touch with them.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:44 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Why did you think Austria and Slovenia have imposed restrictions at their borders?
To stop people moving, obviously. They have put specific restrictions on place, in response to a specific risk. Normal border controls or no free movement would have made zero difference. The only difference would have been due to more people moving between the countries, which I accept could potentially be higher if movement was free.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
I doubt border checks would help now . Its spreading from within due to air travel. Best thing we can all do is ride this out on our luxury cushioned toilet roll stockpiles.
And don't eat any infected dog meat as that is what I was informed started it all , just this morning by an expert.
Then the Austrian and Slovenian governments are wasting their time.....

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm
The UK has a severe shortage of intensive care beds
About half as many per head of population as Italy.

Don’t know what we are worrying about.

:shock:

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 pm
Right, sorry it’s come to this. I’ve enjoyed the debate and the discussion (heated at times) but I’m going to have to leave the thread and I’ll not reply as often as I would because it’s already degenerated into the next “Ringo” show. I can’t abide how (s)he/they debate, so I’ll give it a miss now.

Thanks to all for your discussions.
You wont be forgotten.

Say a prayer for Zlatan.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:44 pm
To stop people moving, obviously. They have put specific restrictions on place, in response to a specific risk. Normal border controls or no free movement would have made zero difference. The only difference would have been due to more people moving between the countries, which I accept could potentially be higher if movement was free.
1 That specific risk being?

2 Glad you accept that it could have been higher without restrictions.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm
Then the Austrian and Slovenian governments are wasting their time.....
This is true. If it's already there they are doomed like everyone else. Only way to beat this thing is to get it in round 1 build up the antibodies for the mutated version in round 2 and then you might survive for round 3.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:41 pm
Nobody can be sure, I’ll agree with you there, we can predict with a certain degree of accuracy but never 100%, my prediction will be it’s going to hit the NHS massive in about - you’ll get the 2 week trickle down & then a further bigger instalment in early mid April to late, let’s just see if I’m right.
Majority of those will be people with a common cold, who normally wouldn't go near a hospital, but will because of all the hype in the media, and similar sites to this

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Claret32yrs wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
We are not a race. We're a nation largely built up of, as much as you'd like to deny it. Germanic, Dutch, Scandinavian and other Northern Europeans. Race doesn't enter this, or any other sensible argument. The British are not a race. We're a mix-match derivative of European cultures. I do agree that border controls may help but that horse has bolted through the open gate. So stop. We are where we are. Whether you or I like it. We work together as a global entity now. We have to. It's not rocket science that borders need checking or closing. What isn't needed is mass hysterical points scoring when it, as suggested; could easily have been the Queen (or similar) who brought it back. We could become a Shogun and ban all outside influence, but don't think that'd last long.
I did not bring race into it.

I was , ridiculously , accused of being a "raving racist" simply because I suggested border checks between countries could help in quarantining. Quarantining of Europeans , that's Europeans just like me!!!!! Caucasians! White people! Use whatever word you're not offended by. They are the same as me.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 pm
1 That specific risk being?

2 Glad you accept that it could have been higher without restrictions.
The specific risk being the spread of a virus, obviously.

Are you suggesting that suspecting someone of being a carrier of a highly contagious virus should be a consideration for allowing entry to a country in normal circumstances?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Thinks to himself - I won't look at this thread as Ringo et al will be banging on about how inept 'Europe' are.

I won't bother looking again.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:00 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

[/quote

Edited
Last edited by Lowbankclaret on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Are you suggesting that suspecting someone of being a carrier of a highly contagious virus should be a consideration for allowing entry to a country in normal circumstances?
Ignore him and let him argue with himself he'll soon disappear back under his rock

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:08 pm

To the poster who said close borders what about those British citizens who have been abroad to say Italy for Holiday, do we stop them from coming back.

As others have said this thread should be Jack all to do with Brexit or Politics it should be about what they feel should be the measures to deal with the virus and whether or not they feel it is proportionate etc

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

I was thinking the other day that the only thing missing from this thread is my hero Ringo.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:12 pm

https://www.theactuary.com/news/2020/co ... in-a-week/
Informative article regarding the impact on pensions for those concerned.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:08 pm
To the poster who said close borders what about those British citizens who have been abroad to say Italy for Holiday, do we stop them from coming back.

As other have said this thread should Jack all to do with Brexit or Politics it should be about how the measures to deal with the virus and whether or not they feel it is proportionate etc
I wouldn't agree completely with that. This is a big test for the government and I think how their actions are open for discussion. There is no need for it to descend into petty political point-scoring though.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Just when you thought this thread couldn't get anymore unpleasant, Ringo pops up spewing his bile about foreigners.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 pm

I have requested he is banned for racist remarks.

We will see what happens

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 pm

If we end up with all those "vacant" seats in the Bob Lord as some have suggested, the "minutes applause" thread will make interesting reading!!! :roll:

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 pm

We will see what happens
With the uncertainty humanity faces at the present time with they way it affects our way of life (Just look at the empty stands at Valencia), his views regarding closing borders etc whilst technically may not be rascist are certainly vile and totally inappropriate. We should be all coming together for the greater good not “pulling up the drawbridge”.
Last edited by Dy1geo on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

We will see what happens
Did he actually say anything racist or are you just that really whining kid at school that even the nicest people shunned.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

We will see what happens
What on earth has Ringo said that’s racist ? Thought he was just suggesting tighter borders would possibly restrict the spread of the virus ?

Though for someone who actually posted he thought he had the virus and seems to believe a preposterous conspiracy theory about the Chinese inventing and spreading the virus ... I know whose internet history I’d trust !

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

We will see what happens
Can we not ban you for taking shite :D
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone RingoMcCartney

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

We will see what happens
Racism <> Xenophobia

I'm not saying he's guilty of either but let's at least get the right word.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:30 pm

Nadine Dorries has the coronavirus.

Recovering now.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

We will see what happens
Crap, Lowbank. What 'racist remarks' ?

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 pm

It's both beautifully ironic but also unsurprising when you think about it that the health minister (edit-a junior one, not the) gets coronavirus. This might have been mentioned already but the average incubation period is about 5 days. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) you could take saliva samples from every person entering the country and you still wouldn't know who or how many were infected if the infected were being tested during the incubation period prior to symptoms developing, because it wouldn't show on tests. It's not viable to hold every human moving from place to place in quarantine. We can do that with astronauts returning from space - not so much with everyone else. The 'drawbridge up' approach is ineffective according to the people whose job it is to control its spread.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:17 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Nadine Dorries has the coronavirus.

Recovering now.
Look at me...see how we can deal with it. I'm recovering in self isolation nowt to worry about rule Britannia. :roll:

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:23 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 pm
Crap, Lowbank. What 'racist remarks' ?
I think LowBank is referring to the post which called for better border control and the immediate cessation of all flights from China, Japan and Singapore.

Which would be weird because it was LowBank who posted that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45071&p=1205344

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 pm
They explained why they didn't stop flights or check passenger earlier today. They said it just doesn't work. Italy did so, and look at them tonight.
Did they stop flights to/from China early?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 am

I asked "Why did you think Austria and Slovenia have imposed restrictions at their borders?

You replied
TheFamilyCat wrote:
To stop people moving, obviously. They have put specific restrictions on place, in response to a specific risk.
I asked what specific risk.

You replied

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Now you're asking me-

TheFamilyCat wrote:
My reply - No, not in normal circumstances. But, in circumstances just like the one europe is faced with right now. Using your words, the "specific risk" which we and europe , together, are faced with.

So, given you previously agreed with me that, without restriction of movement things in Singspore , Japan and Italy could conceivably be even worse.
TheFamilyCat wrote:
I accept could potentially be higher if movement was free.
Having border controls means governments are able to , in specific circumstances, for specific risks, like ( in your words) "the spread of viruses ", control population flow. Which , presumably, you see as positive given your previously admission.

Then unwittingly you actually agree with me. When I say that , had countries maintained the infrastructure at borders , instead of letting them fall into disrepair. Then government's all across Europe would be in a far better position to help in the process of quarantining.

Glad we agree.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm
With the uncertainty humanity faces at the present time with they way it affects our way of life (Just look at the empty stands at Valencia), his views regarding closing borders etc whilst technically may not be rascist are certainly vile and totally inappropriate. We should be all coming together for the greater good not “pulling up the drawbridge”.
Tell the government's of Austria and Slovenia their actions are "vile and totally inappropriate" . They are , to use your words , "pulling up the drawbridge. Its what government's all across Europe could do more easily , had border posts , and the associated infrastructure that goes with them, been maintained. Instead of being allowed to fall into disrepair as part of the EUs free movement of people policy.