Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Coronavirus

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:06 pm
Those clowns who are emptying the shelves of bloody pasta for example, for absolutely no good reason or those who believe every single sensational headline in the Daily Bugle!
A silver lining though, for us not inclined to panic.. my local Tesco had a surplus of fresh fruit and veg so some bargains to be had.

Now the plan is for everyone to get it, it'd make more sense to get as much of that good healthy stuff down you now, rather than munching crappy dried pasta for the next 3 months.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Colburn_Claret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm
It's just good sense and trying to help to be prepared. Not to stupid levels obviously but if the medical science and government advice is that we should self-isolate for two weeks, you need two weeks' food.

That's not for your own benefit. You've already got it. It's to stop you going out infecting other people.
Yes, I know what you're saying, but pretty much everybody who might be required to stay home can get someone else (family, neighbour, friend) to bring some stuff up from the supermarket, even leave the bag on the doorstep if we wanted to be dramatic. Even in china nobody has reportedly died from starvation (I would suggest) or indeed having an unwiped bottom, so it ain't going to happen here.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm

One would expect if there is a lockdown, and I think I read this, places that sell food (fresh food - not takeaways), would remain open. Along with pharmacies and emergency services (fires will still happen for instance).

Therefore buying food (perhaps delivery only) would still be possible and stocking up not needed.
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

I was reading that one measure to help regarding the hospital staff required if it goes really high is to bring in nurses who are in their third year of training, seemed a high number to be able to add to the front line in terms of helping generally, obviously beds will be a different issue.

Additionally on reading some of the posts above, all the armed forces will have medical staff and "some" beds that could also be drafted in should it be needed at the peak of the virus. I would also have thought aerodromes can be converted quickly, army barracks, naval shipyards and even potentially hospital ships can be put in service. I suspect cruise ships have had tremendous cancellations, they have reading bedding for multitudes, of course some from of conversion needed, respirators etc. needed but medical staff could also be housed there keeping it in a tight confinement.

I am sure people are looking at all these what if strategies and they will be used if needed.

There is a lot of private testing going on, would expect every PL club and many lower club medical staff will have got the kits to test for example, plus numerous large company offices. To me the numbers are irrelevant because not accurate but where they're important will be the measurement using the statistics as to whether going up or dropping month on month.

I know numerous large fortune 500 companies have banned travel to certain parts of the world but to others they are advising employees to only travel for essential business related reason and that the employee has to provide the explanation as to why it's essential. The US has banned the EU essentially, however have seen advise once on fly to the UK, pick up another ticket to an EU country but not Italy for example, same return and keep tickets separate. This thought process and idea was shut down very quickly with declaration that anyone found to be applying would face severe consequences including dismissal and reported to the justice system. Yet it shows you how some people think, or maybe don't think!!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:20 pm
Yes, I know what you're saying, but pretty much everybody who might be required to stay home can get someone else (family, neighbour, friend) to bring some stuff up from the supermarket, even leave the bag on the doorstep if we wanted to be dramatic. Even in china nobody has reportedly died from starvation (I would suggest) or indeed having an unwiped bottom, so it ain't going to happen here.
I don't think having two weeks' food is an unusual level. In our house, only one of us didn't already between cupboards, fridge and freezer so it was just a case of a few extra tins for them. No big deal. Hardly panic-buying.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:34 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm
I don't think having two weeks' food is an unusual level. In our house, only one of us didn't already between cupboards, fridge and freezer so it was just a case of a few extra tins for them. No big deal. Hardly panic-buying.
I appreciate that and obviously you're getting it in perspective, but some people do love a good panic, especially if they can combine it with a game of Supermarket Sweep!!!
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank thatdberight

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm
One would expect if there is a lockdown, and I think I read this, places that sell food (fresh food - not takeaways), would remain open. Along with pharmacies and emergency services (fires will still happen for instance).

Therefore buying food (perhaps delivery only) would still be possible and stocking up not needed.
That'd be the favourite, it's not rocket science to work out what you require on the frequency of the main shop, whether it be daily, weekly or monthly, the monthly 1s tend to have chest freezers the organised crew with the old style pen & paper list, yes in the event of any sort of lockdown you'd find an immediate surge on online ordering, they'd be employing extra drivers & adding vehicles to the fleet.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm
It would definitely take longer if we all just hid under a stone and hoped it would disappear.
Not suggesting hiding under any rocks, just suggesting less exposure & contact for a short period of time to alleviate any additional stress on the NHS. Out of sight out of danger.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:59 pm
you'd find an immediate surge on online ordering, they'd be employing extra drivers & adding vehicles to the fleet.
It's an ill wind that blows no-one good mate.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:27 pm
Like us, we always have 2 weeks food (not including fresh food), partly because everyone likes different food, partly because if there is a really good offer I will buy in bulk and because I don't mind buying reduced meat and freezing it. In an emergency, and being sensible, this could easily stretch to 3 or 4 weeks without panicking.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm in benidorm. They are closing everything at midnight. Just waiting for our transfer back to the airport. Couldn't have timed it better

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm
It's an ill wind that blows no-one good mate.
Eh? Don’t follow, you don’t agree the online ordering would increase?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Eh? Don’t follow, you don’t agree the online ordering would increase?
Maybe you've not heard the expression before? It means that even in bad times, someone benefits. In this case, more work for delivery drivers and warehouse staff.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm
Maybe you've not heard the expression before? It means that even in bad times, someone benefits. In this case, more work for delivery drivers and warehouse staff.
I googled it post question, with you being more advanced than me age wise you’ll be wiser in some respects & it makes sense.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:36 pm
I googled it post question, with you being more advanced than me age wise you’ll be wiser in some respects & it makes sense.
Age isn't always an indication of someone being more advanced, but I understand the point.

Look at the people who make the medical devices that are needed for this epidemic. Even without putting up their prices, they will make a fortune.

There is always someone who gains.

Look at the recent floods. Loads of work for electricians, carpet fitters etc..

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Spain on Lockdown now

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Benidorm shuts tonight with all bars/restaurants closed to the public.

Nobody can fly into Spain apparently.

Lots of things closed in Tenerife.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 pm

A lot of panicky petes on this forum about the oriental bat virus... Chill out lads, we were all supposed to die horrible deaths at the hands of cannibal cows with rogue proteins in their central nervous systems a couple of decades ago. Over half the population could develop the disease they said, 100% mortality rate, virtually every product on the market contained beef offal and therefore everyone was at risk, they said.

Sure some poor teenagers suffered the most horrible deaths you can possibly imagine but the apocalyptic predictions were shown to be wrong and the world quickly forgot about those poor souls and moved on.

So don't you worry about this new bat virus that has a mortality rate of only 1% when you have all already survived the nasty cow disease that has a 100% mortality.

In the words of another famous apocalypse survivor i say to you all;

Take the car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.
These 3 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Healeywoodclaret cricketfieldclarets

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Re: Spain on Lockdown now

Post by Damo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm

I'm just on the way back to the airport from benidorm.
This will bankrupt this place

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:08 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:03 pm
A lot of panicky petes on this forum about the oriental bat virus... Chill out lads, we were all supposed to die horrible deaths at the hands of cannibal cows with rogue proteins in their central nervous systems a couple of decades ago. Over half the population could develop the disease they said, 100% mortality rate, virtually every product on the market contained beef offal and therefore everyone was at risk, they said.

Sure some poor teenagers suffered the most horrible deaths you can possibly imagine but the apocalyptic predictions were shown to be wrong and the world quickly forgot about those poor souls and moved on.

So don't you worry about this new bat virus that has a mortality rate of only 1% when you have all already survived the nasty cow disease that has a 100% mortality.

In the words of another famous apocalypse survivor i say to you all;

Take the car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.
So far as I'm aware, there is no confirmed evidence that this virus came from Bats. The video you may have seen of a woman alledgedly eating Bat in Wuhan, was actually filmed four years ago. She is an American travel writer and she wasn't even in China. She was in Palau in the middle of the Pacific.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... d-19-peak/

The animal source of the latest outbreak has not yet been identified, but the original host is thought to be bats. Bats were not sold at the Wuhan market but may have infected live chickens or other animals sold there.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Will bargain brits abroad still be ont tele, I love watching the cream of our scummy brits ont tele

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 pm

"Increasing evidences demonstrate the link between the 2019-nCoV and other similar known coronaviruses (CoV)
circulating in bats, and more specifically those of the Rhinolophus bat sub-species."
WHO 11/2/20
I haven't seen updates. Suggestions that an intermediary animal was involved from credible sources. Snakes and pangolins mentioned.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Yep, Ibiza and Majorca as well.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 pm
"Increasing evidences demonstrate the link between the 2019-nCoV and other similar known coronaviruses (CoV)
circulating in bats, and more specifically those of the Rhinolophus bat sub-species."
WHO 11/2/20
I haven't seen updates. Suggestions that an intermediary animal was involved from credible sources. Snakes and pangolins mentioned.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00548-w
2 weeks ahead fella.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

I've been licking door handles (and windows) all day today.

Bring it on you tw*ts.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:45 pm
What people with extreme views like yours need to remember is that ALL deaths will eventually be recorded, but not ALL infections. Most people will get this virus, stay at home (Hopefully) then return to normal life without ever being recorded as having had the virus. Therefore death figures will be dramatically skewed to the upside.
First bit is true and I agree.

I think the issue I have is that like all these stats, it does vary from country to country. The critical/ serious numbers concern me.
Please remember we only have 4100 ICU beds, 85% are occupied .

That’s Only a limited resource before we are in the same position as Italy. Does not sound bad until it’s your mum, dad or yourself being left to die.

I worry in two weeks that’s where we will be with our countries stance.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I think the issue I have is that like all these stats, it does vary from country to country. The critical/ serious numbers concern me.

That’s Only a limited resource before we are in the same position as Italy. Does not sound bad until it’s your mum, dad or yourself being left to die.

Seems Germany are following a similar stance to ours.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm
I've been licking door handles (and windows) all day today.

Bring it on you tw*ts.
Don’t do that mate, there is science lab offering £3400 for you to be injected with it down south.
This user liked this post: Bin Ont Turf

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm

The figures in different countries are easily explained. They all seem to have different ways of counting them.

The rest of what you say has nothing to do with my point.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm
Don’t do that mate, there is science lab offering £3400 for you to be injected with it down south.

I don't want no southern Coronavirus.

I'll end up a right Jessie.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 pm

This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:55 pm

How will the big screen cope with no pictures from benidorm

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Spijed wrote:
Seems Germany are following a similar stance to ours.
It’s a brave stance, let’s see which countries this pans out best for.

I will admit I understand the theory just not sure I quite agree with the strategy.

Let me give you an example.
Football players!!!
Young, fit and about zero chance they will die.

They should be having Coronavirus parties (like the chicken pox and mumps parties I was sent to) at the club, three weeks time they are all immune and can start getting back in training in prep for starting the games again. As each one gets the virus all self isolating is going disrupt the start of next season not just the end of this.
Hudson odoi said it was a mild cold for two days now recovered.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm
I don't want no southern Coronavirus.

I'll end up a right Jessie.
It’s from China!!!

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Some overreaction.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:45 pm
Benidorm shuts tonight with all bars/restaurants closed to the public.

Nobody can fly into Spain apparently.

Lots of things closed in Tenerife.
Everything open in Tenerife, apart from schools..

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:48 pm
The figures in different countries are easily explained. They all seem to have different ways of counting them.

The rest of what you say has nothing to do with my point.
Your argument the data is skewed for me is disingenuous and suggests it’s kinda irrelevant.

My point is no matter the percentage, the number given the UK strategy will overload hospitals, morgues and crematoriums as it has in Italy.

One hopes not but I suggest it will.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 pm
It’s a brave stance, let’s see which countries this pans out best for.

I will admit I understand the theory just not sure I quite agree with the strategy.

Let me give you an example.
Football players!!!
Young, fit and about zero chance they will die.

They should be having Coronavirus parties (like the chicken pox and mumps parties I was sent to) at the club, three weeks time they are all immune and can start getting back in training in prep for starting the games again. As each one gets the virus all self isolating is going disrupt the start of next season not just the end of this.
The one encouragement I suppose is that Germany is regarded quite highly when it comes to medical science so if they are doing similar then there might be some merit in the thinking.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm
Your argument the data is skewed for me is disingenuous and suggests it’s kinda irrelevant.

My point is no matter the percentage, the number given the UK strategy will overload hospitals, morgues and crematoriums as it has in Italy.

One hopes not but I suggest it will.
Why do you think that I'm being disingenuos? Government figures sugget what I say may be true. As for your other points, I neither agree nor disagree with them but I'm also an optimist where this virus is concerned, not a pessimist as you seem to be.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:

It probably was a mild cold if it only lasted two days,

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Not this virus.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm

So I have just been into Tesco, honestly it was shocking - they had no toilet paper at all. Reluctantly I headed for the customer service and asked if they had any. A firm NO and a look in disgust was the answer.

Walking back to the toilets with my pants and trousers around my ankles was a walk I never want to do again.
These 8 users liked this post: FactualFrank thatdberight Gordaleman KateR Dark Cloud bfcjg tiger76 Goodclaret

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Which to many (almost all) young, healthy people is exactly what happens. That's what it feels like. This is not news. Children are even less impacted by it. He still had it.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm
So I have just been into Tesco, honestly it was shocking - they had no toilet paper at all. Reluctantly I headed for the customer service and asked if they had any. A firm NO and a look in disgust was the answer.

Walking back to the toilets with my pants and trousers around my ankles was a walk I never want to do again.
Brilliant mate.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm

I Had you down as a serious type of Poster...I'm now teetering on the verge of Outrage.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm
Why do you think that I'm being disingenuos? Government figures sugget what I say may be true. As for your other points, I neither agree nor disagree with them but I'm also an optimist where this virus is concerned, not a pessimist as you seem to be.
I suggest I am a realist based on the data.

As I have been right from the start on page 1 when I said this would be serious.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 pm
I Had you down as a serious type of Poster...I'm now teetering on the verge of Outrage.
I am a serious poster. Feel free to call Frank (security at Tesco) and see if he’ll let you view the security footage. I do believe that it’s going onto YouTube later this evening...

;)
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Dark Cloud

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:20 pm
Brilliant mate.
Got to laugh sometimes eh :D

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm
I suggest I am a realist based on the data.

As I have been right from the start on page 1 when I said this would be serious.
The one glimmer of hope is that someone on the BBC said that our cases are spread over the UK whereas in Italy it is in the Northern region and they struggled to cope .

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm
I am a serious poster. Feel free to call Frank (security at Tesco) and see if he’ll let you view the security footage. I do believe that it’s going onto YouTube later this evening...

;)
Uploading it as I type.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Zlatan,
that was an image I am seriously trying to scrub from my memory banks :)

thank you for the chuckle