Cornish Pasty

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Re: Cornish Pasty

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 am

jollyjack wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:08 pm
There are pasties in Devon, (where it was first made), so this protected status only applies to the word Cornish and the county of origin. Devon pasties or (oggies) are fine my me. Got to try Ron Dewney's oggies in Guzz (Plymouth).
There is a place in Plymouth called Ivor Dewdneys which has a special place in my partner’s childhood - a peak experience for her being on the lawn outside the Union Pub on the other side of the Tamar next to the Brunel’s Bridge eating a Dewdney Pastie. We went to Ivor Dewdney’s on the way back from Cornwall a few years back, and because it was the day of our match against Mourinho’s Man U when we drew 0-0, I had a Burnley shirt on. When I got to the counter I discovered they didn’t have enough large pasties to fill my order (a dozen). As the staff took me through the options (wait forty-five minutes for the ones in the back to be finished or two small ones for each large, etc), a queue began to form behind me, and a rotund man said; “oi, you’ve got some cheek coming in ‘ere wearing that” I smiled at the woman behind the counter, and she told him off. He continued murmuring something about “crap team and crap jersey” so rather than feeling rushed and threatened at the same time, I ordered every meat pastie they had, and ran out of the place as though I’d just robbed it. I pushed the bag of pasties through the front window of the car, dived into the back and exhorted my partner to drive with the words “Go! Go! Go!”.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:29 am

Ron is Ivor's brother. Used to run a big shop in town and then fell out and set up their own businesses. Both do reyt good oggies.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 am

https://ivordewdney.co.uk/last-ron-dewd ... r-dewdney/

It looks like they are as one again. My partner tells me the family split happened when one brother wanted to introduce veggie pasties, and the other thought that was an outrage. But the website claims they were never enemies:

https://ivordewdney.co.uk/dewdney-broth ... e-reality/

Very tasty.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 am
There is a place in Plymouth called Ivor Dewdneys which has a special place in my partner’s childhood - a peak experience for her being on the lawn outside the Union Pub on the other side of the Tamar next to the Brunel’s Bridge eating a Dewdney Pastie. We went to Ivor Dewdney’s on the way back from Cornwall a few years back, and because it was the day of our match against Mourinho’s Man U when we drew 0-0, I had a Burnley shirt on. When I got to the counter I discovered they didn’t have enough large pasties to fill my order (a dozen). As the staff took me through the options (wait forty-five minutes for the ones in the back to be finished or two small ones for each large, etc), a queue began to form behind me, and a rotund man said; “oi, you’ve got some cheek coming in ‘ere wearing that” I smiled at the woman behind the counter, and she told him off. He continued murmuring something about “crap team and crap jersey” so rather than feeling rushed and threatened at the same time, I ordered every meat pastie they had, and ran out of the place as though I’d just robbed it. I pushed the bag of pasties through the front window of the car, dived into the back and exhorted my partner to drive with the words “Go! Go! Go!”.
"ROTUND" :lol: Political correctness gone mad! He was one Fat miserable tw@t.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Made a corned beef hash yesterday lunch, let it cool and then made a pie with it, never done it before but my boys said it was really good, prefer steak and kidney myself but it was enjoyable.

get stuck in tracy
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by get stuck in tracy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:08 pm
There are pasties in Devon, (where it was first made), so this protected status only applies to the word Cornish and the county of origin. Devon pasties or (oggies) are fine my me. Got to try Ron Dewney's oggies in Guzz (Plymouth).
What branch were you in Jolly Jack/Guzz rating.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:24 pm

cbx750 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:20 pm
Otherwise known as a Wigan kebab.
Sorry but I have to correct you there. (It’s important to get this serious stuff right :D )

A potato pie in a barm cake is a “Slappy”. A Wigan kebab is two potato pies on a skewer.
This user liked this post: KateR

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm an avid fan of most things pastry, however cornish pastys have never really gripped me like other pastry items has.

The pastry seems crumbly, the inside has cubes of carrots, slices of onion and stringy mince.
The whole things a touch dry and bland for my liking.
The shape doesnt help matters, hard to get a your mush round it without spillage or it collapsing.

There must be a reason for the shape, as most of it is air anyway, so could be flatter to assist in the eating.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 pm

the wonderful Steak & Kindy Pudding is the favorite of the family yet we rarely have it, but we traditionally go to the Lake District 2nd week July. The pub close to where we stay always has the STP and it is ordered by all early in the week and some have it at least twice during the week. Perhaps having just that once of week in a year makes it taste better.
Last edited by KateR on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm

get stuck in tracy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm
What branch were you in Jolly Jack/Guzz rating.
Was a weather guesser (Professor Fog). Still RNR since leaving the Andrew in 2017.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 pm

KateR

This was one of Boris Johnson's many Brexit gaffes.

On 11/05/2016 Boris brandished a Cornish Pasty, giving a Richard Nixon-style salute, as he got off on the Brexit battle bus in Truro, West Cornwall only for it to be pointed out to him very quickly that the dish was in fact protected by European not British law.

Then there was the Great Kipper Scandal of 2019 when Boris Johnson visited a herring smoked fish house on the Isle Of Man, waved a Kipper in the air claiming that EU regulations over the packaging and transportation of the smoked herring was preventing the owner of the smoked fish house of expanding his business into other markets. It was later pointed out to Boris Johnson (by a member of the EU) that these regulations were nothing to do with the EU but that the rules on packaging and transporting the Kippers were MADE IN BRITAIN.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Great little pasty shop in Polperro we always visit when down there on holiday mmmmmm yummy.
DSC_1630.JPG
DSC_1630.JPG (27 KiB) Viewed 971 times

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:57 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 pm
KateR

This was one of Boris Johnson's many Brexit gaffes.

On 11/05/2016 Boris brandished a Cornish Pasty, giving a Richard Nixon-style salute, as he got off on the Brexit battle bus in Truro, West Cornwall only for it to be pointed out to him very quickly that the dish was in fact protected by European not British law.

Then there was the Great Kipper Scandal of 2019 when Boris Johnson visited a herring smoked fish house on the Isle Of Man, waved a Kipper in the air claiming that EU regulations over the packaging and transportation of the smoked herring was preventing the owner of the smoked fish house of expanding his business into other markets. It was later pointed out to Boris Johnson (by a member of the EU) that these regulations were nothing to do with the EU but that the rules on packaging and transporting the Kippers were MADE IN BRITAIN.
and should I make this a priority in my evaluation of the PM and the Tories in general that he got this wrong, I don't, but please don't interpret this as me loving everything BJ and Tory. I was trying to avoid political views and the constant digs and tried to post something of a lighter tone but regardless of any subject on this board the haters and losers just can't help themselves to get there digs in, can they?
These 2 users liked this post: Claret32yrs Bosscat

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm

MACCA wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm
I'm an avid fan of most things pastry, however cornish pastys have never really gripped me like other pastry items has.

The pastry seems crumbly, the inside has cubes of carrots, slices of onion and stringy mince.
The whole things a touch dry and bland for my liking.
The shape doesnt help matters, hard to get a your mush round it without spillage or it collapsing.

There must be a reason for the shape, as most of it is air anyway, so could be flatter to assist in the eating.
I thought the only reason for the shape was to make it easier for the miners to carry, I don't know but I am pretty sure that's what I read, not so sure how Corwallians would react if you tried to change the shape but have a fair idea lol
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:01 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:57 pm
and should I make this a priority in my evaluation of the PM and the Tories in general that he got this wrong, I don't, but please don't interpret this as me loving everything BJ and Tory. I was trying to avoid political views and the constant digs and tried to post something of a lighter tone but regardless of any subject on this board the haters and losers just can't help themselves to get there digs in, can they?
It says a lot when someone can turn a conversation about Cornish Pasties into a political issue (not you btw) but they always manage to squeeze it in.

Claret32yrs
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Claret32yrs » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:10 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm
I thought the only reason for the shape was to make it easier for the miners to carry, I don't know but I am pretty sure that's what I read, not so sure how Corwallians would react if you tried to change the shape but have a fair idea lol
I have it on good authority the boomerang was designed on the Cornish Pasty. Cornish miners threw their's away and realised that sometimes they caught the canaries. Sometimes not. The Pasty was effectively a hunting tool, whereupon if a Miner failed to kill a hearty meal, instead of a tasty nutritious canary. He still had a meal. The Aborigines developed this so it did actually come back. However. A fault in their design was that is always tasted of wood and was very much a failed experiment. Whereas the Pasty, despite clearly failing to be a successful killing machine. Was a tasty treat, if all other means failed.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Maybe that's what MACCA was actual eating instead of a pasty lol

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:13 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm
Made a corned beef hash yesterday lunch, let it cool and then made a pie with it, never done it before but my boys said it was really good, prefer steak and kidney myself but it was enjoyable.
I bought some corned beef today to make a hash (there were a few tins left -but not many). I like to make it with diced swede and carots (and maybe sweet potato) as well as standard spuds & cb; onions and some pepper of course. Im always tempted to add beans but I freeze several portions to eat later & not sure how well beans freeze. Often eat it with beans though, never thought of making a pie with it but i'm sure it'd work well.

A great cheap and tasty meal (fairly health too I think) & the frozen portions warm up nice in the microwave.

Pasties are grand. When my mum used to make them, she did them really pointy at the ends, crimped along the top, called them "torpedoes".

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:22 pm

ohhhh surely topedoes are different to Cornish Pasties and I remember mum making them as a child but decades since I made one of those, Cornish Pasties I always buy also but like making different pies, plate pies, meat and potatoe, potatoe, steak, steak & kidney, all good for me.

Corned Beef Hash has been a staple since being a child, never put beans in it. Hubby was brought up on beans on toast and has it every week, loves his all day breakfast to so always copious amounts of tinned beans in plus eggs.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:50 pm

KateR wrote:
I thought the only reason for the shape was to make it easier for the miners to carry,
The story as I know it is the crust was purely for holding. Their hands were that filthy down the mines they would throw it away, as mentioned earlier.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:58 pm

KateR wrote:
And so the humble Cornish Pasty was born. ... A typical pasty is simply a filling of choice sealed within a circle of pastry, one edge crimped into a thick crust . A good pasty could survive being dropped down a mine shaft! The crust served as a means of holding the pasty with dirty hands without contaminating the meal. Then the dirty bit could be disposed of

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 4384935807

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:01 pm

so we can all agree that it was for carrying or if you want to be pedantic holding :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

SherbornePhil
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by SherbornePhil » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Chough’s Cornish pasties in Padstow are a favourite of mine. Well worth a try if you are in the area.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:34 pm

SherbornePhil wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:32 pm
Chough’s Cornish pasties in Padstow are a favourite of mine. Well worth a try if you are in the area.
Yes everyone says you need to try the "Choughing Pasty's" in Padstow ;)