Porton Down.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Usually show a Big interest regards unusual diseases and Viruses etc.not much information coming from there?
Last edited by tim_noone on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SalisburyClaret
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:32 pm
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Portion Down.

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Social isolation

bfcjg
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 2265 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by bfcjg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Everyone's down at the moment Porton is no different.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Bosscat
Posts: 9390
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 7233 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Usually show a Big interest regards unusual diseases and Viruses etc.not much information coming from there?
There is information out there

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spiref ... id-19/amp/

https://www.forces.net/news/extra-10000 ... us-standby

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 pm

They dont seem to be on the TV the same regards any public imformation Like when the Russian Chappies popped over with a bit of white Powder they were all over it like a rash so to speak. Apart from The celebrities on The One Show highlighting what to do and what not to do... And our Very own Covid-19 and Influenza expert Gordleman. No one seems to know very much.

Bosscat
Posts: 9390
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 7233 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 pm
They dont seem to be on the TV the same regards any public imformation Like when the Russian Chappies popped over with a bit of white Powder they were all over it like a rash so to speak. Apart from The celebrities on The One Show highlighting what to do and what not to do... And our Very own Covid-19 and Influenza expert Gordleman. No one seems to know very much.
We have Lowbank etc to keep us up to speed about Covid19, why do we need Porton Down (am sure they are very busy bees m8)

GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3897
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 748 times
Has Liked: 1625 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 pm

The chemical and biological weapons facility?

Would you expect to hear much from them with a virul pandemic that's not been proven to be a biological weapon?

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 pm
The chemical and biological weapons facility?

Would you expect to hear much from them with a virul pandemic that's not been proven to be a biological weapon?
Curiously I thought they Dealt in Deadly Diseases
And hadnt heard any mutterings Coming from there regards the virus. I suppose our Leader is Fully briefed though...Hopefully .

Chester Perry
Posts: 9899
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am
Been Liked: 1303 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 pm
Curiously I thought they Dealt in Deadly Diseases
And hadnt heard any mutterings Coming from there regards the virus. I suppose our Leader is Fully briefed though...Hopefully .
Sean Dyche cannot be responsible for everyone
These 2 users liked this post: Jel tim_noone

Gordaleman
Posts: 1473
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm

When I was in the army in the seventies, based in Germany, me and a mate volunteered for testing there. (It was considerably extra money.) We expected to be infected with all sorts of funny stuff. As it happened, we spent three weeks on standby, kicking our heels and were never used for anything.

I'm sure that their expertise is now being used in a very big way, to help us through this.

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 pm
Sean Dyche cannot be responsible for everyone
Indeed your right CP ....he has enough on His plate at times.

atlantalad
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:57 pm
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by atlantalad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 am

Once had a job interview there way back when. Regimental and intimidating affair. I didn't get the position because they were after someone of a different calibre but they said they would keep me under the microscope.





I managed to get away.

Bullabill
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Been Liked: 128 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Bullabill » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 am

Relegated already?

texasbrit
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by texasbrit » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:49 am

They will be doing a lot of work in the background.COVID 19 is a derivative of the SARS vinous and only has 4 additional protons from the SARS virus within its molecular structure a certain indication that COVID-19 has been genetically created and has not naturally evolved from the SARS virus responsible for that epeidemic.

TIme will tell who is responsible for its creation and release but there are the usual candidates that has created the perfect storm to drive global economic collapse, just take a look at which economy is still relatively stronger than the rest and that will give you a clue as to the perpetrators
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 am

Who'd have thought it...

box_of_frogs
Posts: 3053
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
Been Liked: 670 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:08 am

texasbrit wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:49 am
They will be doing a lot of work in the background.COVID 19 is a derivative of the SARS vinous and only has 4 additional protons from the SARS virus within its molecular structure a certain indication that COVID-19 has been genetically created and has not naturally evolved from the SARS virus responsible for that epeidemic.

TIme will tell who is responsible for its creation and release but there are the usual candidates that has created the perfect storm to drive global economic collapse, just take a look at which economy is still relatively stronger than the rest and that will give you a clue as to the perpetrators
Can you confirm the source of this info?

IanMcL
Posts: 18245
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3623 times
Has Liked: 4208 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 am

:o :mrgreen: Porton Down deal with proper germs!

thatdberight
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by thatdberight » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 am

box_of_frogs wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:08 am
Can you confirm the source of this info?
It's worse than that. Previously credible scientists have been bought off to spread lies to us sheeple that this could somehow be a naturally ocurring virus.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Thanks goodness for clueless internet trolls to reveal the truth behind this plague caused by a "vinous"!
This user liked this post: box_of_frogs

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 pm
The chemical and biological weapons facility?

Would you expect to hear much from them with a virul pandemic that's not been proven to be a biological weapon?
Great point and I was just thinking the same - why would a military estasblishment (which is basically what it is) have any involvement in an epidemic (unless people believe the conspiracies)? The only involvement I can see would be to help find a cure.

Tricky Trevor
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 989 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am

texasbrit wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:49 am
They will be doing a lot of work in the background.COVID 19 is a derivative of the SARS vinous and only has 4 additional protons from the SARS virus within its molecular structure a certain indication that COVID-19 has been genetically created and has not naturally evolved from the SARS virus responsible for that epeidemic.

TIme will tell who is responsible for its creation and release but there are the usual candidates that has created the perfect storm to drive global economic collapse, just take a look at which economy is still relatively stronger than the rest and that will give you a clue as to the perpetrators
Conspiracy ********, The WHO have already said it was not manufactured. Just another generation of the flu.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

JohnMac
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:11 pm
Been Liked: 1637 times
Has Liked: 2568 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Porton Down.

Post by JohnMac » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 am

Porton Down was the Defence Research Establishment when I was serving in the 1970's until the 1990's.

Unless it has changed I can't see why they would be in the news.

The Salisbury affair was a targeted attack using a military grade weapon, not a viral pandemic.

kindonesque
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 56 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by kindonesque » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 am

Won't hear a sound at Porton Down,
The clear liquids keep their silence,
Buried underground at Porton Down
The fast form of the final violence.

Chilling song by Peter Hammill

IanMcL
Posts: 18245
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3623 times
Has Liked: 4208 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

Actually, the Public Health Executive also inhabit Porton Down.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

evensteadiereddie
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1896 times
Has Liked: 5420 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Porton Down.

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:04 pm

I once went for a job in the circus as the bloke they fire out of a cannon.
Didn't get it, they wanted someone of a different calibre.
I thank you.

box_of_frogs
Posts: 3053
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
Been Liked: 670 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:32 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:04 pm
I once went for a job in the circus as the bloke they fire out of a cannon.
Didn't get it, they wanted someone of a different calibre.
I thank you.
Bravo! :lol:

LeadBelly
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 1308 times
Location: North Hampshire

Re: Porton Down.

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm

An article (re vaccine research/trials) in The Guardian today contains the following mentions of Porton Down (the PHE bit):

"Miles Carroll, head of research at PHE's national infection service in Porton Down, said there was "an aggressive campaign" to get the vaccine evaluated during the peak of the UK outbreak."
"That would mean giving it to people as part of a trial in the summer. The POrton Down lab is one of a handful in the country that is licensed to store samples of coronavirus."
"" We know from the Ebola outbreak that even before a vaccine is licensed it can have significant impact on the disease. If this looks good at protecting and we see no safety issues at all, then theortetically April, going into May or June, they could expand the number of people they are vaccinating and that could be in the thousands."
"Then, several months later, if it's working, I imagine there will be a process to massively ramp up manufacture""


It seems this research is high on PD's agenda using its existing learnings/knowledge from work it's done on Ebola.

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 pm

kindonesque wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 am
Won't hear a sound at Porton Down,
The clear liquids keep their silence,
Buried underground at Porton Down
The fast form of the final violence.

Chilling song by Peter Hammill
That song was scary when it came out and still is. From the album ph7. Funnilly enough it was the first thing that came into my head this morning when I saw the thread title. From the same album is the brilliant Handicap and Equality.

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:04 pm
I once went for a job in the circus as the bloke they fire out of a cannon.
Didn't get it, they wanted someone of a different calibre.
I thank you.
Brilliant - we need more of this at this time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am
Conspiracy ********, The WHO have already said it was not manufactured. Just another generation of the flu.
Hey bud I love The Who but I don't think they know f*ck all about how to deal with this. Daltrey and Townsend are in the danger age anyway so would steer well clear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Bosscat

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am
Conspiracy ********, The WHO have already said it was not manufactured. Just another generation of the flu.
Just another generation of "Bat Flu" ....over the Cuckoos nest laymen.

Bosscat
Posts: 9390
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 7233 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm
Hey bud I love The Who but I don't think they know f*ck all about how to deal with this. Daltrey and Townsend are in the danger age anyway so would steer well clear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Explains why they have cancelled tour dates .... obviously they are too heavily involved in the Research to play music ;)

kindonesque
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 56 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by kindonesque » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Hey houseboy

Everywhere you look with Hammill lyrics is a piece for the times...Killer, Gog Magog, Refugees. Hammill at his best. Thanks for reminding me it was on pH7.
This user liked this post: houseboy

bpgburn
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by bpgburn » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm
When I was in the army in the seventies, based in Germany, me and a mate volunteered for testing there. (It was considerably extra money.) We expected to be infected with all sorts of funny stuff. As it happened, we spent three weeks on standby, kicking our heels and were never used for anything.

I'm sure that their expertise is now being used in a very big way, to help us through this.
Having read some of your contributions on the Covid-19 thread I suspect they found a way to slip you some permanent mind altering trial drug without you knowing it ;)

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 pm
When I was in the army in the seventies, based in Germany, me and a mate volunteered for testing there. (It was considerably extra money.) We expected to be infected with all sorts of funny stuff. As it happened, we spent three weeks on standby, kicking our heels and were never used for anything.

I'm sure that their expertise is now being used in a very big way, to help us through this.
You were used alright......you just dont know it :?

Gordaleman
Posts: 1473
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Two idiots turning up together again, to support each other to answer a post from 9 pm last night. Very suspicious.

bpgburn
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by bpgburn » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm
Two idiots turning up together again, to support each other to answer a post from 9 pm last night. Very suspicious.
Lighten up it was in jest :roll:
And by the way i very rarely post.

Gordaleman
Posts: 1473
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:36 pm

bpgburn wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm
Lighten up it was in jest :roll:
And by the way i very rarely post.
Fair enough. It just seemed very odd. :) It's clear that there is one troll with several user names. I thought you were another.

bpgburn
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by bpgburn » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Nope only the one and had it since 2004. No offence meant but you did leave yourself wide open with that post, it was begging for a comeback..

boatshed bill
Posts: 5617
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1199 times
Has Liked: 2663 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 pm
That song was scary when it came out and still is. From the album ph7. Funnilly enough it was the first thing that came into my head this morning when I saw the thread title. From the same album is the brilliant Handicap and Equality.
I'd never heard the song until last night. I like the synthy version with the sax player, awesome!

IanMcL
Posts: 18245
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3623 times
Has Liked: 4208 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:50 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:50 pm
You were used alright......you just dont know it :?
It was all in the air!

IanMcL
Posts: 18245
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3623 times
Has Liked: 4208 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Salisbury also used to be the home of the common cold research centre.

Volunteers used to go and be given cold virus. The upside was that they were well fed, during their stay. Old Nissen huts across the large site.

Never found the cure! Closed and now a housing site.
(No road is called Cold Blow Lane!)

Could do with that research and Guinea pigs now!
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

tim_noone
Posts: 14346
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 12620 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:50 pm
It was all in the air!
Fcking hot air! What a plank.

bfcjg
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 2265 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:15 pm
An article (re vaccine research/trials) in The Guardian today contains the following mentions of Porton Down (the PHE bit):

"Miles Carroll, head of research at PHE's national infection service in Porton Down, said there was "an aggressive campaign" to get the vaccine evaluated during the peak of the UK outbreak."
"That would mean giving it to people as part of a trial in the summer. The POrton Down lab is one of a handful in the country that is licensed to store samples of coronavirus."
"" We know from the Ebola outbreak that even before a vaccine is licensed it can have significant impact on the disease. If this looks good at protecting and we see no safety issues at all, then theortetically April, going into May or June, they could expand the number of people they are vaccinating and that could be in the thousands."
"Then, several months later, if it's working, I imagine there will be a process to massively ramp up manufacture""


It seems this research is high on PD's agenda using its existing learnings/knowledge from work it's done on Ebola.
This needs to go on the positive news thread.

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

kindonesque wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm
Hey houseboy

Everywhere you look with Hammill lyrics is a piece for the times...Killer, Gog Magog, Refugees. Hammill at his best. Thanks for reminding me it was on pH7.
Refugees is a song of hope I think and is a decent song for the times. I was going to quote some Gog Magog but thought maybe they are a bit too bleak for the times.

houseboy
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 1279 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Porton Down.

Post by houseboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:24 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am
I'd never heard the song until last night. I like the synthy version with the sax player, awesome!
The sax player is David Jackson from Van Der Graf Generator. Responsible for some of the most beautiful and/or crazy sax ever. Plays a mean flute too. The guy used to play 2 saxes at once live.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

kindonesque
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 56 times

Re: Porton Down.

Post by kindonesque » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 pm

How about Happy Hour (from Enter K)....Just the job

Fuelled by alcohol,
Shooting out words like a rocket,
Like a prophet out of Babylon
Method acting the absurd....

Post Reply