Staying at home for 3 weeks...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Re: Staying at home for 3 weeks...

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am

We are still working. My son and I will carry on. We are on site on our own. Clients in another part of the house. Don’t see each other. Communicate via text. The problem may now be will builders merchants be open.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:25 am

bobinho wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 pm
Do either of those pages actually exist? I have found neither, and I have been looking since 20:40

People posting this shite all over the internet hasn’t really helped. At NO time did anyone use the term “key worker” whilst describing the new measures.
It was on a video on the PM'S official twitter page. Like you I saw the screenshot and wanted to check authenticity, I could not find a mesage but then found it on their animation of the measures at 21:41

100% legitimate at the time but that seems to have changed
"Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home"

*edit: that's the time I forwarded it to a friend
Last edited by Loyalclaret on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 am

We are still working. My son and I need to finish an extension for an elderly client. She is isolated in a different part of the house, her son communicates with us via text. It’s essential we get finished as it’s a ground floor apartment for her.
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:29 am

Damn. My last message disappeared, then re-appeared. Please delete either one.

Thanks.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 am

Heathclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am
We are still working. My son and I will carry on. We are on site on our own. Clients in another part of the house. Don’t see each other. Communicate via text. The problem may now be will builders merchants be open.
I genuinely love that real old fashioned British grafters spirit. I salute you. Work till we drop or told we can't. I will be joining you let's see what is open.

Anybody remember The Omega man?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 am

Re; Aggi's link - why bicycle shops and why say it twice?
The whole thing is littered with spelling and grammar errors - you sure it's legit?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 am

So some people who have to go to work have to but people can stop home and doss for 80% of their wage - not right is it really

Where is the incentive for that extra 20%

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 am
I genuinely love that real old fashioned British grafters spirit. I salute you. Work till we drop or told we can't. I will be joining you let's see what is open.

Anybody remember The Omega man?
Omega man was a good film.

I am Legend, also good.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:27 am

80% up to 2.5k, some folk will be losing a hell of a lot more than 20% of their wage

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 am
So some people who have to go to work have to but people can stop home and doss for 80% of their wage - not right is it really

Where is the incentive for that extra 20%
Or some of us make changes at work, work 20% of my normal hours already this week and expected to continue to go in for odd jobs, DIY, Decorating whilst my boss gets the government to pay the remaining 80%.

I’d quit but well I need the cash unfortunately.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 am

To get access to the 80% you need to be furloughed, you can’t continue to work.

That’s my companies understanding, all staff have been told not to work from home (we can, but he’s isn’t allowed to be aware) odd rules

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 am

duncandisorderly wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 am
Re; Aggi's link - why bicycle shops and why say it twice?
The whole thing is littered with spelling and grammar errors - you sure it's legit?
It's on the .gov.uk website so pretty unlikely to be fake.

No idea why bicycle shops are on twice but for many people they are an essential form of transport. Places like London where the majority of people don't have cars and public transport is an option that many are trying to avoid then cycling is the favoured option for many.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 pm
Where had 3 weeks come from. At least 5 months
I don't normally get involved in your guessing games, but I'll stick my neck out and confidently state that the lockdown in its current format will not last 5 months, it's not even lasted that long where it started in China, where restrictions are starting to get lifted
Once the cases and deaths get to a level that the NHS can cope with, the restrictions will be lifted here. Yes people will catch the virus, and some will still die, just like all other illnesses, but it will be at a manageable level
Common sense tells you countries can not shut down for 5 months

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm

call me cynical, but I'm slightly worried by the amount sheep, Bah Bah, on here, which just might be a small segment of the population that don't seem to have a brain or be able to do cognitive thinking. Yet I should have realized this weeks ago when the government were giving advice out, simple advice and as evidenced we have continually seen the advice ignored in the, "it doesn't apply" to me" groups. You've all seen China, Italy and the ramp up in the UK, maybe it's the I don't live in a red zone so I'll be alright Jack attitude, it's frustrating when so many, err ALL, are given advise but what the sheep really need is a shepherd and the sheep dog, no please tell me what I have to do, when do I have to do it, how long do I have to do it for. Of course when he tries to get you in the pen you're just going to try and escape and say that's rubbish, I'm not accepting that, you were treated as adults but have been proven that you were not really at that stage, it's not guidance you wanted it was implicit instructions, of course you could then bleat, bah bah, about how wrong those instructions were and how the timing of the instructions were all wrong.

I am flabbergasted when people don't know whether they work in an essential business or not, then you need to think, well yes the business is essential, but am I essential to the business or not, surely you can work these small things out for yourselves and make your own decisions, can't you? Those decisions have to be factored in to several other points, am I healthy, do I live with someone at risk, what will happen if I get it, well guess what your supposed to be at home for a period of time so you don't transmit this to anyone else, that means not to a single person.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:24 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm
call me cynical, but I'm slightly worried by the amount sheep, Bah Bah, on here, which just might be a small segment of the population that don't seem to have a brain or be able to do cognitive thinking. Yet I should have realized this weeks ago when the government were giving advice out, simple advice and as evidenced we have continually seen the advice ignored in the, "it doesn't apply" to me" groups. You've all seen China, Italy and the ramp up in the UK, maybe it's the I don't live in a red zone so I'll be alright Jack attitude, it's frustrating when so many, err ALL, are given advise but what the sheep really need is a shepherd and the sheep dog, no please tell me what I have to do, when do I have to do it, how long do I have to do it for. Of course when he tries to get you in the pen you're just going to try and escape and say that's rubbish, I'm not accepting that, you were treated as adults but have been proven that you were not really at that stage, it's not guidance you wanted it was implicit instructions, of course you could then bleat, bah bah, about how wrong those instructions were and how the timing of the instructions were all wrong.

I am flabbergasted when people don't know whether they work in an essential business or not, then you need to think, well yes the business is essential, but am I essential to the business or not, surely you can work these small things out for yourselves and make your own decisions, can't you? Those decisions have to be factored in to several other points, am I healthy, do I live with someone at risk, what will happen if I get it, well guess what your supposed to be at home for a period of time so you don't transmit this to anyone else, that means not to a single person.
It's hardly surprising. We've had a government that, for the past few years, has told people what they want to hear, not the reality. It's not easy to change that round instantly.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:43 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:24 pm
It's hardly surprising. We've had a government that, for the past few years, has told people what they want to hear, not the reality. It's not easy to change that round instantly.
not sure what you're trying to say in reality, sounds like a sheep of an excuse to me but the sheep mentality can be explained during previous years if people listened and took what any party had to say as gospel, surely many and even the majority were questioning what the Gov. had to say and made there own minds up. Perhaps they were after all just listening to an alternative shepherd at that time but I am not trying to politicize this, it's the population and the small sampling here, which have clearly demonstrated what the vast majority believe, the minority of selfish toss pots have spoilt it for the masses.

Or perhaps it's simply the fault of the news outlets, you could trot that one out again because it has often been stated here, that the public can't think for themselves, by some over the past few years. I was always against this argument but maybe I need to rethink this in light of the numerous posters clearly demonstrating they can't think for themselves.

How about local Gov? Why has S Khan done what he has done, putting more lives at risk in my opinion regarding TFL and not declaring a disaster earlier and closing London down to outsiders? Just a thought and not a political dig.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:24 pm
Is this as opposed to all those politicians of the past who told the absolute down-the-line truth even if it would cost them votes? Name names. :lol:

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 pm
I don't know where you have got that from, because no one in this area is going to get 80% of their wages by being off due to this ^national emergency".
Quite a few people I know already been told their work is closing so they will be laid off with an 80% wage retainer. All in the local area.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 am

All my team were Furloughed and some were complaining because of how much money we will all lose, in reality my boss could pay us full pay but we probably won’t have a company to come back to in 3-4 months and that’s the bigger picture.

Im sure most people live a life style based on the higher end of their salary and have a big mortgage to go with it, perhaps this will give people a wake up call, It certainly has with myself.

I’ll just about get by on what the government are issuing as there’s bugger all else to spend the money on :lol:

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 pm
I don't know where you have got that from, because no one in this area is going to get 80% of their wages by being off due to this ^national emergency".
That statement makes you look a bit foolish now.
Our company has closed down for at least the next 3 weeks. We are receiving 80% of our wages whilst we are off work.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank KateR

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 am
Is this as opposed to all those politicians of the past who told the absolute down-the-line truth even if it would cost them votes? Name names. :lol:
I'm not saying that this hasn't happened in the past but it's been particularly egregious in the past four or five years. Just look at our current leader who ran a leadership campaign on a promise that anyone with half a brain knew was false (leaving the EU by 31 October).

There are countless other examples. If politicians (individually and as a whole) develop a reputation for saying one thing but the reality being another thing then it's very difficult to get your message across when it is vital that it be believed.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm

Targetman wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 am
Our company has closed down for at least the next 3 weeks. We are receiving 80% of our wages whilst we are off work.
The 80% is it the average weekly gross or net you receive, I'm not sure if true is it based on the February month (last month) or just whatever you would normally come out with 80% of that, thanks & if anybody wants to answer?

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm pretty lucky compared to some I am retired, I have no loans or mortgage , do work 4 mornings a week as a delivery driver for a building company.
Guernsey went into lock down last night so no work for the foreseeable future, all suppliers closed down, all sites closed down. As I said I am one of the lucky ones, feel for some of the non essential workers with children and mortgages.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Targetman wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 am
That's different to what I was talking about.

Your company has closed down, you aren't self isolating from work by choice.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am

Anybody still working , has your place put the hazard lines on the floor?

We went to one premises this week and I felt like I was playing pac man avoiding people and staying a box apart. All necessary but a strange game.