ARTICLE: The day Billy became Ginger Pele

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

ARTICLE: The day Billy became Ginger Pele

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 am

A look back to a game almost 43 years ago

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/the-day-bi ... inger-pele
This user liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: ARTICLE: The day Billy became Ginger Pele

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am

Billy Ingham was a top man, he was good mates with my great Uncle and was really good with me and my brother when we were kids, I always thought they were joking when they said he'd played for Burnley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am
Billy Ingham was a top man, he was good mates with my great Uncle and was really good with me and my brother when we were kids, I always thought they were joking when they said he'd played for Burnley.
He was a top man, one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. No edge to him at all. So sad that he left us at such a young age.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am

Soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew it had happened on my birthday. We've had so many good results on or around the 23rd April that one of my brother's always feels as confident as he can be whenever we encounter a fixture around this time. My favourite result was in 1966 when we beat Liverpool 2-0 at Turf Moor but there have been done good ones down the years.
Billy Ingham came from a small place called Stakeford in Northumberland, a couple of miles from Bedlington where my wife comes from. An underrated player and valuable member of that 72-73 team.
You mentioned Billy Rodaway,too and I last saw him at a family 'do' in Jan. this year on the day we lost at Chelsea. Both of us were concerned at our form.but of course that was our last.league defeat. Billy's an Evertonian but he still refers to the Clarets as 'us' and 'we'. Always regales us with stories from his playing days and on that day in Jan. he told us that during one close season he went into a bar in Spain where he was greeted by Alan Ball,once of Everton but now at Arsenal. After shaking hands Ball stepped back and looking directly in Billy's eyes pleaded ' just tell me that ginger **** isn't with you because I couldn't get rid of him the last.time we played you'. And yes, I know that Ball was also ginger!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am
Soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew it had happened on my birthday. We've had so many good results on or around the 23rd April that one of my brother's always feels as confident as he can be whenever we encounter a fixture around this time. My favourite result was in 1966 when we beat Liverpool 2-0 at Turf Moor but there have been done good ones down the years.
Billy Ingham came from a small place called Stakeford in Northumberland, a couple of miles from Bedlington where my wife comes from. An underrated player and valuable member of that 72-73 team.
You mentioned Billy Rodaway,too and I last saw him at a family 'do' in Jan. this year on the day we lost at Chelsea. Both of us were concerned at our form.but of course that was our last.league defeat. Billy's an Evertonian but he still refers to the Clarets as 'us' and 'we'. Always regales us with stories from his playing days and on that day in Jan. he told us that during one close season he went into a bar in Spain where he was greeted by Alan Ball,once of Everton but now at Arsenal. After shaking hands Ball stepped back and looking directly in Billy's eyes pleaded ' just tell me that ginger **** isn't with you because I couldn't get rid of him the last.time we played you'. And yes, I know that Ball was also ginger!
How is Billy Rod? I spoke to him on the phone around five years ago but I've not seen him in years. There's another top bloke too.

Billy was indeed from Stakeford which is also very close to Ashington. I remember being at a mate's in Ashington back in summer 1973 and we went to a club on the Friday night and who should walk in and say hello but Billy Ingham.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am
How is Billy Rod? I spoke to him on the phone around five years ago but I've not seen him in years. There's another top bloke too.

Billy was indeed from Stakeford which is also very close to Ashington. I remember being at a mate's in Ashington back in summer 1973 and we went to a club on the Friday night and who should walk in and say hello but Billy Ingham.
He looked well. He's had knee replacements but I think he put that down to Joe Jordan( his most 'difficult' opponent). Always great company and very saddened by the death at the time of his great mate, Ian Britton. Lots of contact with ex-players obviously but I think a big friend is Ronnie Goodlass, former winger for Everton.
You've not lived if you haven't been to a Northumberland. club over the weekend. Great fun and I have to say wonderful hospitality. Been out many,many times up there and met a friend of former claret,Freddie Smith a few times who again told.me some wonderful stories about.his time.before and at Burnley.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Happy days

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 pm
He looked well. He's had knee replacements but I think he put that down to Joe Jordan( his most 'difficult' opponent). Always great company and very saddened by the death at the time of his great mate, Ian Britton. Lots of contact with ex-players obviously but I think a big friend is Ronnie Goodlass, former winger for Everton.
You've not lived if you haven't been to a Northumberland. club over the weekend. Great fun and I have to say wonderful hospitality. Been out many,many times up there and met a friend of former claret,Freddie Smith a few times who again told.me some wonderful stories about.his time.before and at Burnley.
Fred Smith isn’t at all well I’m told

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Billy’s finest hour - until he played for KSC!
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Not been up for a couple of years now but that's not good news. The fellow I was talking to is a cousin of former professional,John Dreyer who scored Stoke's late equaliser against us at Turf Moor in our first home game in the 94/95 season.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Nice post and tribute. Fortunate enough to see him play. Also recall he filled in at right back in the year we won promotion to the First Division-circa 1975. Got to say our football that year was a joy to watch

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:36 pm

Billy Ingham and Geoff Nulty are two of the most underrated Clarets ever in my opinion. Loved to watch them both but don't think either of them got the praise they deserved.
This user liked this post: Aclaret

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Just posting to say, I was there!

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 am

It’s late at night but in the loft my scrapbook I’ve got the Burnley express report..........v Tottenham as you say.....I’ll find it tomorrow....”ginger pele” but a different photo if I remember........one of my faves is “muddy marvellous” at Easter ‘cos the pitch was a swamp, but we beat Oldham 4-1 and Cochrane scored a belter, but that’s another story...

They were great reports, Peter Higgs etc...,.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am
He was a top man, one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. No edge to him at all. So sad that he left us at such a young age.
Nothing else needed to add to that. 8-)

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 am

You've taught me something there, CT. I had always believed that the "Ginger Pele" name came because he had tried a shot from his own half. We live and learn.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 am

43 years ago! Remember his goal and what a goal it was. It must rank as one of the finest goals scored by a Burnley player. As has been said, he was a top man. I only met him on one occasion and that had nothing to do with football. I was down in town and tripped over something...my glasses went one way and a bag of shopping the other and I had a bad gash on my hand. It was busy with shoppers and people looked but carried on except one man...Billy Ingham. He came over, retrieved my glasses and shopping and helped me to my feet and went and found a taxi which took me to the hospital where the wound was stitched. A proper gentleman without a doubt.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am

Billy Rod is doing well after triple heart surgery a few years ago. He was meant to be on the turf last week and one of his grandsons was going to do the guard of honour so we’ll look forward to that being rearranged! He’s always kept up to date on match days with how we are getting on!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:38 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 am
Billy Rod is doing well after triple heart surgery a few years ago. He was meant to be on the turf last week and one of his grandsons was going to do the guard of honour so we’ll look forward to that being rearranged! He’s always kept up to date on match days with how we are getting on!
I spoke to him a few years ago (2015 I think) when the Supporters Groups were making a presentation to Ian Britton. He couldn't come over unfortunately then because he was just about to go in for an op (knee or hip replacement). I didn't know he'd hard the heart surgery. Another brilliant bloke is Billy. Hopefully I'll get the chance to say hello the next time he's over.
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am

He was such a work horse was Billy. I'd completely forgotten that he'd passed away and so young. Great memories.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am

Lovely to read the comments about Billy. I used to pick his mum and dad up to take them to Burnley games, both home and away, and they were a lovely couple and did so much for Billly to help him follow his dream to become a footballer. They were both really small in stature and Billy 'towered' above them ---as strange as that may seem! A lovely family and I was so sad when Billy passed away just over 10 years ago.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am

I was also at this game and seem to remember a great atmosphere on the Longside, a punch up just in front of me when some Chelsea fans were identified, and that brilliant goal. What a shame there is no footage of it. Can see Billy Ingham in my minds eye now...he will always be identified with the "V" home kit for me.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm

A game I recall involving Billy was away at Villa at the turn of the year in season 72/73. This was seen as a real test of our promotion ambitions though we'd beaten them comfortably earlier in the season at home,4-1. Anyway, midfielder Doug Collins was unavailable which was a blow but Billy was drafted in to wear the No 10 shirt. We needn't have worried, Billy had a great game in a comprehensive 0-3 win and even bagged a goal. Who needs Doug Collins? As said a great servant to our club and a very able deputy covering for.absentees.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Remember Billy Ingham on ‘door duty’ at the Miners when we played Rovers at home in the FA Cup!