Will the season feel the same when it restarts?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Will the season feel the same when it restarts?

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm

I was really enjoying this season. Mid table, pushing for Europe, in good form, tickets for City away. Can’t help but feel that whenever the season restarts, probably behind closed doors in my opinion, it won’t feel the same?! Not sure I’ll be able to get in to it again now.

Curious as to what others think?
This user liked this post: paulatky

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Re: Will the season feel the same when it restarts?

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 pm

This season's done.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky bobinho

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 pm

You could be right, take a look at this.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier ... li=BBoPWjP

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

It was like being in the middle of a bad dream when football was suspended.

Within a fortnight football was gone out of my daily thoughts. It's a social gathering, it's somewhere to release tension (or build up stress) it's fantastic, exhilarating but most of all, it's just a game.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc paulatky

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Think you might be right. Hard to see how those mass gatherings are going to be able to restart any time soon
This user liked this post: paulatky

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm

It's not going to restart.

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 272 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Every season I do a lucky 15 bet on the four divisions probably for about the last 30 seasons. I am usually out of my misery by October but this season I have still all four of my selections still going strong Bournemouth to be relegated and Forest Fleetwood and Cheltenham for promotion think if it came up would have been a nice few quid but I would gladly forfeit it for things to go back to normal and live on the usual tale of what might have been
This user liked this post: dougcollins

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:53 pm
It's not going to restart.
What’s strange about this is how public opinion has/is changing so quickly.

If you’d said that two weeks ago, I’d have said you were mad, but with so many other major sporting events getting cancelled now, I think there would be more acceptance about a full cancellation.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:32 pm

It will restart and the first 3 points will be fantastic. The tickets will be hard to come by, as everyone will want to release that pent up loss and welcome back normal life.

Up the Clarets

claretfern
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Whenever football does start again, this current season should be played out to a finish - otherwise it will have been for nothing.
These 2 users liked this post: Blackrod Dazzler

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 pm

I suspect that if this season is declared null and void then next season will almost certainly be as well.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 pm

claretfern wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 pm
Whenever football does start again, this current season should be played out to a finish - otherwise it will have been for nothing.
Sadly the game is in the hands of Sky TV.
Whatever they think will work for them is what we will get.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I would be absolutely gutted for Dirty Leeds if the season was cancelled.
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Woodleyclaret

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:45 pm

I think it would be more appropriate to finish this season off, whenever that maybe, and cancel next season.
These 3 users liked this post: Blackrod tiger76 Dazzler

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 pm

It will feel great if we can carry on the form that we were enjoying before the halt.

Putting it in to perspective it's possible that the season will resume next spring. It is unlikely to resume this summer since we will still be in the throws of the pandemic. If the lockdown is successful it will be difficult to end it since the pandemic would start up again.

I don't think that it will be played behind closed doors since the virus could then be spread between the players. It might be an entertaining prospect of watching matches in which the players have to practice social distancing - all players must be at least 2 meters away from all other players on the pitch!

At some stage there will be a vaccine and other treatments. The most optimistic are saying that it could be six months away. The BBC are saying one year to eighteen months. My guess is the end of this year/early next year.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:57 pm

We might not see football again for 6 months. I reckon by then JBG will be touch and go.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 pm

So, the Premier League will "walk away" from £750 million? Interesting.

I'm sure every single Premier League player will be coughing and spluttering into their PPE masks as they lace up their boots and pull on their shirts before they would let go of the money they earn for this season.... and risk not playing and being paid for 2020/21 season.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:57 pm
We might not see football again for 6 months. I reckon by then JBG will be touch and go.
Hopefully training on grass by that point :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Claretforever

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Whatever they decide, it will be interesting how they deal with contracts
and, perhaps more interestingly, how the transfer market will pan out.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 pm

If this season doesnt get concluded properly I think my interest will wane. The next season should be delayed.
This user liked this post: tiger76

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Bigger point, now I think of it, is that Spurs will have Kane & Son back. Not good for us, competing with them.

Hard to see how this enforced break during an excellent run, when we had very few injuries, will work in our favour. Notwithstanding there are more important things going on in the world.

Wonder if Dyche has a plan to make sure we’re “Dyche fit” and more importantly if the club are seeking to find creative ways to use it to our advantage in the transfer market?

Joe Buck
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by Joe Buck » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Think it will depend on personal experience. If it hasn’t had an affect on you the football comes first. If you’ve lost someone you’re not going to be particularly bothered.
Since the early 70 s football has been my life. Now I’m a grandad I’ve started to realise that there’s more to life. Ultimately it’s just a game

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 am

For the sake of sporting integrity this season should be completed,and a few days ago i'd have thought that was almost certain to be the case,however the annulment of some of the non-leagues,does rise the spectre of the whole thing being scrubbed,as other posters have remarked this crisis could continue for another year or more,now if that's the case how the authorities find a solution that pleases everybody is hard to see,cancelling the season will in all likelihood mean the 3 clubs in the PL relegation zone,or Leeds and WBA amongst many Championship clubs being up in arms,there's no way to pacify both parties,either there's no promotion/relegation,or the standings are decided as the table sits,if it's the former Leeds/WBA won't be happy,if it's the latter then Bournemouth/Villa/Norwich will be upset,Villa especially as they currently have a game in hand,and that's before Liverpool and the clubs chasing European slots are considered.

And this will feed down the leagues,and lead to numerous lawsuits.Already around 30 non-league clubs are contesting this decision to cancel the current campaign,and with all due respect for them and their circumstances they don't have anywhere near the financial muscle of clubs higher up the pyramid.

However if the season can't be finished by the end of June,this causes major issues around broadcast rights,and more pertinently existing player's contracts,even the option of commencing next spring doesn't solve those 2 issues,or any upcoming transfer windows,it's a pandora's box that's for sure,which is probably why the relevant parties are stating difficult decisions lie ahead.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:03 am

Joe Buck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm
Think it will depend on personal experience. If it hasn’t had an affect on you the football comes first. If you’ve lost someone you’re not going to be particularly bothered.
Since the early 70 s football has been my life. Now I’m a grandad I’ve started to realise that there’s more to life. Ultimately it’s just a game
To be honest that is how I now feel, I got sucked into the sky hype watching football four or five times a week now it’s not on with what’s going on I realise it doesn’t matter a jot. Those poor nurses going through what they are going through and it’s only a matter of time before it hits home on a personal basis.

As for football give the title to Liverpool or whatever I don’t really care, people are losing their jobs and are unsure of their future and football to me means very little

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 am

Joe Buck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm
But what is life all about? If at the end of life, all you can say is that you kept breathing - then what have you achieved? Life is about family, and also about enjoyment. "It's only a game" - isn't life a game? What's the point of life if there are no games?

This relatively mild virus, compared with either of the major 20th century flu viruses, is tragic for the 20,000 or so (if the more optimistic predictions are correct) who will die too soon, whether it's too soon by a few months or too soon by many years. But if "only a game" of football can raise morale, then let it be raised. We're stuck inside, boredom is setting in, and even the Australian Rugby League has stopped. I want some sport to watch, and if the players can (at minimal risk) provide that sport in behind-closed-doors games, then get that whistle blown. Please.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 am

whether it's too soon by a few months or too soon by many years.

The problem I have with the current "lockdown" is I suspect it's not months or years these people have been taken by but minutes or hours. How many would have been carried off with what they like to describe as "pneumonia" etc?
This user liked this post: Dazzler

MalaysiaMo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by MalaysiaMo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:49 am

I seriously doubt that major sporting events, even held behind closed doors, will take place again until an effective vaccination for COVID-19 is available. The risks are simply too great ~ and not just during the games themselves, but in the training, the traveling etc. The Atalanta v Valencia match is now thought to have been the equivalent of throwing petrol on a fire re COVID-19 in Italy and now Spain ~https://time.com/5809848/game-zero-soccer-game-italy/

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 am
For the sake of sporting integrity this season should be completed,and a few days ago i'd have thought that was almost certain to be the case,however the annulment of some of the non-leagues,does rise the spectre of the whole thing being scrubbed,as other posters have remarked this crisis could continue for another year or more,now if that's the case how the authorities find a solution that pleases everybody is hard to see,cancelling the season will in all likelihood mean the 3 clubs in the PL relegation zone,or Leeds and WBA amongst many Championship clubs being up in arms,there's no way to pacify both parties,either there's no promotion/relegation,or the standings are decided as the table sits,if it's the former Leeds/WBA won't be happy,if it's the latter then Bournemouth/Villa/Norwich will be upset,Villa especially as they currently have a game in hand,and that's before Liverpool and the clubs chasing European slots are considered.

And this will feed down the leagues,and lead to numerous lawsuits.Already around 30 non-league clubs are contesting this decision to cancel the current campaign,and with all due respect for them and their circumstances they don't have anywhere near the financial muscle of clubs higher up the pyramid.

However if the season can't be finished by the end of June,this causes major issues around broadcast rights,and more pertinently existing player's contracts,even the option of commencing next spring doesn't solve those 2 issues,or any upcoming transfer windows,it's a pandora's box that's for sure,which is probably why the relevant parties are stating difficult decisions lie ahead.
I still think this season will be finished. Look at the fuss South Shields are making, and multiply that by a million to get an idea of how much aggro just cancelling the season would cause. Shorten next season if necessary but I think this one has to finish at all costs.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 am

Claretforever wrote:
We will need him as Hendrick will be sleeping rough somewhere.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 am
We will need him as Hendrick will be sleeping rough somewhere.
He looks like he already does

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am

Villas-Boas has suggested the season should finish in November or December this year. The 2021 and 2022 seasons would then be played in calendar years in the lead up to the World Cup before then reverting back to usual.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 am

The season will be completed some time and to answer the OP's question - it will feel even better !

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am

nyclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am
Villas-Boas has suggested the season should finish in November or December this year. The 2021 and 2022 seasons would then be played in calendar years in the lead up to the World Cup before then reverting back to usual.
What about the euros though? (I'm not sure who I'm asking that question to).

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 am

Fretters wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am
What about the euros though? (I'm not sure who I'm asking that question to).
I presume they'd have to be played during a mid season break - similar to the original plan of the 2022 World Cup.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:47 am

The usual rules have gone out of the window, when football can start again the world will look like a very different place.

There’s no way whatsoever this season will be completed, although I would like it to

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:50 am

More so

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:14 am

Hopefully will be the end of players constantly spitting.

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 am

It seems that Belgium are about to declare their season null and void as a ‘force majeure’ event which would mean any contracts are invalid. Not sure how this would Work in England and whether sky could demand return of money as contract is declared void. Perhaps some legal experts may be able to give an idea.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:40 am

Depending on how long this goes on for, we might be best cancelling next season, and continuing this season starting next March. Euro's in the summer 21, then back to normal.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Can see all football being cancelled until August 2021

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:17 pm

It'll feel like 2021 unfortunately.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 pm

paulatky wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 pm
Can see all football being cancelled until August 2021
At some point we're just going to have to get on with things. It's not realistic to put everyday life on hold for 15 months.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:18 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 pm
At some point we're just going to have to get on with things. It's not realistic to put everyday life on hold for 15 months.
When things get back to normal it will be a new normal

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 pm

It will feel surreal I think we will be jumpy for years to come worrying about this sort of thing happening again football will be less relevant IMHO.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 pm

At the moment I think it will feel better than before.

Another thing we just take for granted.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:21 pm

UEFA suggesting if we're not up and running by the end of June,the season will just be canned,tough on some clubs,better for others,it doesn't unduly affect Burnley unless the TV payments are less than we budgeted for,in that case we might be impacted more than other clubs who have wealthy backers,and Sean's transfer plans may have to be scaled down.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... eing-lost

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:49 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am
It would be interesting to see the season run from Feb to Nov each calender year, with a mid summer break thrown in.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:55 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 pm
It will feel surreal I think we will be jumpy for years to come worrying about this sort of thing happening again football will be less relevant IMHO.
I agree and the real heroes are the NHS staff , supply chain workers including supermarket workers, bin men and delivery drivers who saved us and kept the country going

There should be no oscars, baftas? film awards POTY awards but instead recognition to those groups above.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:17 pm

The largest ever attendances in football were straight after a 5 year layoff. It’ll be exactly the same. Everyone will be ecstatic and it’ll be like the 3 or 4? month break never happened.

How fantastic that we’ve dry powder to absorb all this. Who’d have thunk it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 am
But what is life all about? If at the end of life, all you can say is that you kept breathing - then what have you achieved? Life is about family, and also about enjoyment. "It's only a game" - isn't life a game? What's the point of life if there are no games?

This relatively mild virus, compared with either of the major 20th century flu viruses, is tragic for the 20,000 or so (if the more optimistic predictions are correct) who will die too soon, whether it's too soon by a few months or too soon by many years. But if "only a game" of football can raise morale, then let it be raised. We're stuck inside, boredom is setting in, and even the Australian Rugby League has stopped. I want some sport to watch, and if the players can (at minimal risk) provide that sport in behind-closed-doors games, then get that whistle blown. Please.

You could be blowing your own whistle* mate.

* not a metaphor. :o