Prem to resume behind closed doors start of MAY 

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Prem to resume behind closed doors start of MAY 

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Premier League plan to resume season behind closed doors at the start of MAY in order to finish by July 12 to avoid TV contract rebates of up to £762MILLION

"
EXCLUSIVE BY MARTIN SAMUEL AND MATT HUGHES: The Premier League are working on an ambitious plan to restart the season behind closed doors on the first weekend of May with a scheduled finish date of Sunday July 12. The proposals, which will be discussed in detail on a conference call of the 20 clubs on Friday, would need to be endorsed by the Government, public health bodies and the PFA. But they are seen as the best way to mitigate the financial losses and potential legal threats caused by the coronavirus shutdown. The Premier League's best-case scenario of a May resumption stems largely from their obligations to and financial reliance on broadcasters, who have a watertight £3billion-a-year deal which expires on July 31, with next season's deal kicking in the following day. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... t-MAY.html
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Prem to resume behind closed doors start of MAY 

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 pm

I just knew money would dictate the outcome of this......greed is a horrible trait.:(
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky MT03ALG bobinho

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:12 pm

I hope so. Not for finances but just to get this season in the record books.
If they could get finished for the end of June there would be little need to mess around with next season after the break the players have been given.
These 2 users liked this post: Rowls evensteadiereddie

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 pm

Must be to our advantage cos we're used to playing in a quiet stadium with not that many fans inside
These 3 users liked this post: Paul Waine KateR MT03ALG

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 pm
Must be to our advantage cos we're used to playing in a quiet stadium with not that many fans inside
Ssh… just like being in church - especially now the churches are all closed. ;)

UTC

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 pm

More of an advantage for Arsenal they play in a massive quiet stadium
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
But our fans are the 12th man

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 pm

How can the PL even think about continuing when the country will still be in crisis.

Man City’s training complex should be turned over to the NHS for their use.

Could convert into temporary maternity and antenatal hospital.

Sick if they continue just because of the money
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Excellent news. The morale boost to the general public (well, to me anyway) will be huge.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come to an agreement where, say, Sky and BT get 8 fixtures each weekend and BBC and ITV one apiece. It will mean that Sky aren't exclusive any more, but then again they will get most of the best matches, and while the Premier League is desperate not to lose the cash, Sky Sports are also desperate to get some sort of action on their screens.

As for public health, the players could if need be live in lockdown in one of numerous luxury hotels that aren't doing anything at present. They aren't all being used as NHS overflows. Wives and children could be present too. For the money they earn, they can live with the tiny extra risk - they won't be the only people going to work; and from leaving their luxury hotel in their luxury coach, to arriving at the ground, their feet literally need not touch the ground.

As long as the league sell the "public morale" aspect good and hard to the government, they'll get permission, I reckon.
These 3 users liked this post: Rowls Blackrod MT03ALG

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:41 pm

And what if one or two of these players flout the rules and leave their hotels and come into contact with the public, become infected and then infect others?

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 pm
Excellent news. The morale boost to the general public (well, to me anyway) will be huge.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come to an agreement where, say, Sky and BT get 8 fixtures each weekend and BBC and ITV one apiece. It will mean that Sky aren't exclusive any more, but then again they will get most of the best matches, and while the Premier League is desperate not to lose the cash, Sky Sports are also desperate to get some sort of action on their screens.

As for public health, the players could if need be live in lockdown in one of numerous luxury hotels that aren't doing anything at present. They aren't all being used as NHS overflows. Wives and children could be present too. For the money they earn, they can live with the tiny extra risk - they won't be the only people going to work; and from leaving their luxury hotel in their luxury coach, to arriving at the ground, their feet literally need not touch the ground.

As long as the league sell the "public morale" aspect good and hard to the government, they'll get permission, I reckon.
Not so sure it will.

A lot of people who arent football fans will still be in lockdown. What sort of message does it send out and how would that large majority react.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 pm

Dave Burnley will be sick as a chip,what will he brag about when that attending matches record bites the dust? :(
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky Rowls MT03ALG

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:41 pm
And what if one or two of these players flout the rules and leave their hotels and come into contact with the public, become infected and then infect others?
Exactly the same as in other businesses. They carry on.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 pm

dsr wrote:

Sky should be waiving all subscription fees for everyone who can either stream or get their services through a dish....they should but they wont the greedy bastards

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:47 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 pm
Not so sure it will.

A lot of people who arent football fans will still be in lockdown. What sort of message does it send out and how would that large majority react.
The same way as they react to other workers who are still able to go out to work, I should think.

Stickers
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Stickers » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Who’s going to staff the hotels, drive the coach’s deliver the food, wipe their entitled arses, cut the grass, film the match, on-site tv production, police the area, off the top of my head but the list of what can only be described as non essential travel and contact must be massive.
Not really sending the best message to Joe public staying at home and going stir crazy is it?
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky ChorltonCharlie tiger76

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:08 am

dsr wrote:

IF this outbreak is severely contained by the end of April(big if in the present climate) and new known daily cases are in the tens of people and not the hundreds as they currently stand,then it might be possible to consider closed door games commencing,there would be minimal risk to the players and their families,my big worry is fans will congregate outside stadiums,as happened in some of the behind doors European fixtures,and that's a potential problem for the authorities,also if the PL commenced purely due to financial considerations what message does this send out to the wider public.

I'm sure there's many posters on here that are missing their weekly footy fix,especially when most of us are not currently working,but health considerations must take precedence over anything else,the"public morale" aspect is an interesting argument,and has some validity,especially with people's mental health to take into account.

However if you allow the PL to re-commence what's to stop other businesses demanding their staff return to work,and where do you draw the line?
This user liked this post: paulatky

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:08 am

Stickers wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 pm
Who’s going to staff the hotels, drive the coach’s deliver the food, wipe their entitled arses, cut the grass, film the match, on-site tv production, police the area, off the top of my head but the list of what can only be described as non essential travel and contact must be massive.
Not really sending the best message to Joe public staying at home and going stir crazy is it?

What the PL clubs should be doing is offering their multi staffed medical teams to the NHS.
The beginning of May will be just about the peak time of deaths.

Obscene of PL to even think about it
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:11 am

paulatky wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:08 am
What the PL clubs should be doing is offering their multi staffed medical teams to the NHS.
The beginning of May will be just about the peak time of deaths.

Obscene of PL to even think about it
Hopefully common sense prevails & 14 teams decide to just scrap & start again, not sure why it’s 14, 11 should tip the balance.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 am

Stickers wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 pm
There are shedloads of people already involved in TV production. Did you see how many were needed even to record a simple church service on Sunday? The extra 0.0something percent isn't a great risk. All public entertainment is a trade-off between what is necessary and what is beneficial. Nothing on TV apart from the news is necessary. But do they cut off all channels because of the health risks? No, because the public benefit is still taken into account.

For cutting the grass, I suspect the same people who cut the grass yesterday will cut it tomorrow. Why would it not be? They're not letting it run to seed, you know - groundstaff are working more or less normally.

My brother is a tube driver, still working, but he passed his bus test as well. I bet he'd drive one. I'm sure there are other bus drivers who would volunteer - at Premier League wages, perhaps.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 am

interesting to see the outcome unfolds with all the permutations in places

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 am

I'll wipe my arse on this come the beginning of May.

We won't see footy until August / September earliest and that is me being very optimistic.

Stickers
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Stickers » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:38 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 am
There are shedloads of people already involved in TV production. Did you see how many were needed even to record a simple church service on Sunday? The extra 0.0something percent isn't a great risk. All public entertainment is a trade-off between what is necessary and what is beneficial. Nothing on TV apart from the news is necessary. But do they cut off all channels because of the health risks? No, because the public benefit is still taken into account.

For cutting the grass, I suspect the same people who cut the grass yesterday will cut it tomorrow. Why would it not be? They're not letting it run to seed, you know - groundstaff are working more or less normally.

My brother is a tube driver, still working, but he passed his bus test as well. I bet he'd drive one. I'm sure there are other bus drivers who would volunteer - at Premier League wages, perhaps.
Look I’m missing my football too, these people you mention would have no need to go anywhere. Do you also think that sports direct stores should remain open or what about hairdressers using that logic

If this #hitstorm is still raging sadly I can’t find how it will be justifiable.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky tiger76

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 am

The problem is that if this season is cancelled it'll render next season pretty much worthless in terms of any achievements.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 am

As things stand I would be surprised. I don't think the government will want players back on training grounds whilst we're still under this semi-lockdown. So that puts players even training back to mid-April. There's still a lot of question marks around closed doors games and the safety of that. They expect fans will travel and want to gain entry. Liverpool are a great example of this. Are we really expecting only a few scousers to make the trip to a neutral venue on the day when they think they'll claim the league title? It can't/won't be kept secret where the venues are, there'd simply be too many people involved for that to remain unknown.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 am

I think the timing might be a bit optimistic, but football is now a multi billion pound business, not a romantic notion of clubs playing for their fans and the love of the game. If they can find a way to save over 700 million they will, just like any other business would.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 am

I think the important word their is 'plan'. They can plan all they want but i'd be staggered if it was given the go ahead by the government as early as May. Logistically unworkable in the present climate.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:06 am

The world, as we have found out, does not revolve around Football and in particular the Premier League.

I wonder if Italy and Spain are trying to do the same?

Football will resume one day but for me trying to accelerate the process whilst the priority of all should be preservation of life is just... Well it is.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:30 am

May is a long time at the moment. China have reopened their factories, production actually crept back up in March.

It’s not impossible to imagine something like this being possible here by May, particularly if those antibody tests are available by then.

I hope those dodgy streaming guys are up and running in time.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:31 am

I'd be amazed if it starts so soon tbh. With only 9 games left why the hurry? If teams play Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday it can be done and dusted in 3 or 4 weeks. To everyone pointing out the health issues how is it any worse than a massive factory like Boohoo being allowed to stay open?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 am

Another issue would be people breaking the lockdown and gathering at houses to watch games, especially if they didn't make them all free to view.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky tiger76

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 am

I can’t see the issue with 22 blokes running around a large pitch with a few hangers on loitering on the side. I suspect non of them have underlying health conditions, so none of them will be at significant risk.

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:23 am

Has any thought been given to the officials, will they want to be involved, like the players some will have reservations about being in a safe environment.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am

If this happens will the club put the likes of Dave Burnley and CT on the payroll so they don’t miss a game.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 am

If this season is cancelled how on earth can clubs survive when no money is coming in, especially those further down the leagues?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am

Great news if true. Some footy on the tv would be a great distraction, although I’m not sure my wife would agree!

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 285 times
Has Liked: 423 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:40 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
I’ve always found Elland Road to be quite a noisy stadium.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 am

As said above, this is nothing more than a plan, and a very optimistic one at that. I don’t think there’s a chance of it happening, I think what we will end up seeing is this seasons being scrapped and then a late start to 20/21 around Christmas. Maybe scrapping the cups would allow this to work in time for the euros

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 am

Don't believe everything you read in newspapers, particularly when they have little or no news to print.

They have to find something from somewhere in order to try and sell their publications.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 am

It won't happen.

MiltonKeynesClaret93
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by MiltonKeynesClaret93 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 pm
Sky should be waiving all subscription fees for everyone who can either stream or get their services through a dish....they should but they wont the greedy bastards
People have been able to call up or log in online and pause their Sky Sports subscription for about 3 weeks now - same with BT Sport.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 am

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:40 am
I’ve always found Elland Road to be quite a noisy stadium.
Very true but its not a fair comparison with us as they are one of the biggest clubs in the land.

Slightly different point but it will be tough on the Championship teams who still have to play Leeds at home as they will suffer financially for not getting the benefits of what probably is the best away support in the country (inc the Premier League)

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am

Up until a few days ago the Japanese were saying that the Olympics would still go ahead in a few weeks time!

Some officials from both the Japanese organising committee and the Premier League are maybe finding it a little difficult to comprehend the current world health situation?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:17 am

MiltonKeynesClaret93 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:00 am
People have been able to call up or log in online and pause their Sky Sports subscription for about 3 weeks now - same with BT Sport.
I meant giving it free not suspending payments.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am

Targetman wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am
Up until a few days ago the Japanese were saying that the Olympics would still go ahead in a few weeks time!

Some officials from both the Japanese organising committee and the Premier League are maybe finding it a little difficult to comprehend the current world health situation?
The Olympics ARE going ahead, but next year instead!

If the Olympics were to be completely cancelled that would be a disaster.

I suspect some don't realise the ramifications of no money coming into football if there are widespread cancellations as many clubs could potentially go to the wall.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:45 am

I think they'll just be doing this to test the water. When they get told "no chance" they'll turn around and say "how about the end of May then?" That's a bit more realistic and could still get the games in before the end of June when contracts expire, shirt deals run out etc.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am
if there are widespread cancellations as many clubs could potentially go to the wall.
Certainly an interesting thought. Many businesses are going to go to the wall as a result of COVID.

Playing devils advocate here (I appreciate the nature of a football club being the heart of the town, as a Burnley fan), but what should make a football club (also a business) be any different?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 am
If this season is cancelled how on earth can clubs survive when no money is coming in, especially those further down the leagues?
I don't disagree,but if games are played behind closed doors,those clubs will still be out of pocket,arguably even more so,due to the costs they'll incur by staging the fixtures,it's fine for the PL,and probably even the Championship as they'll still retain their TV monies,but for the likes of Accy who's main income is matchday related,it could be devastating.

I don't know for certain.but i'd wager most of the lower league clubs would prefer to either cancel the season,or wait for a suitable time to resume,when they can get bums on seats,preferably the latter in most cases.

And a :?: which hasn't been answered yet,what happens if the PL resumes,how will this factor down to the other divisions,i'm sure no-one is advocating scrapping relegation for this campaign,although i have seen hints that those near the foot of the Prem table wouldn't oppose this move,i'll bet they wouldn't,but equally those striving for promotion from the Championship aren't just going to let the prospect of 100m+ slip through their fingers without a fight.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:13 pm

The Govt will rule probably rule the virus to be a Force Majeure so contracts with Sky will be nullified etc.

What people have to realise is that there is a world beyond football and the outcry that there would be from “Non Footballing” community to see the Premier League just restarting for money reasons would be huge especially if the TV pictures of full Nightingale Hospitals start to be shown

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:13 pm
The Govt will rule probably rule the virus to be a Force Majeure so contracts with Sky will be nullified etc.

What people have to realise is that there is a world beyond football and the outcry that there would be from “Non Footballing” community to see the Premier League just restarting for money reasons would be huge especially if the TV pictures of full Nightingale Hospitals start to be shown
It will be, you are also leaving the argument wide open or should I say door to, well if football can go ahead why can’t this that & the other go ahead & before you know it we are pretty much back to square 1, where we are now. Kind of makes a mockery of the early lockdown, all this is based upon things roughly progressing the way there are & deteriorating, hopefully come may & onwards we’ll be faced with a different scenario & the outlook will be healthier. Even the most avid optimist is finding that difficult to envisage now.
This user liked this post: Dy1geo