The clubs response to the current situation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

The clubs response to the current situation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 am

Firstly hope that everyone on here is healthy. It’s a strange old time. And no doubt we’ve all been affected by this in some way. Hopefully for all on here it’s just the disruption.

Have to say though that personally I feel the clubs response and engagement with fans during this situation has been disappointing at best.

While I don’t expect them to be experts on the virus, how long it will take for normality to resume or even an update on when football will resume. I think they could’ve done so much more at this time for its supporters. Paying and otherwise. Especially the younger and older end of the scale.

I am not talking refunds, handouts or anything monetary. But communication.

In the 30 days since our last game with Spurs the only real communication has been the update over the weekend saying how this situation will affect the club of the season isn’t completed. With references to sums of money that are alien to most of us. And many fans will already be feeling the financial burden.

The ones I worry about most though are the young fans and the older fans. For the older the turf is one of if not the only social activity they get. And for the younger while the idea of a year playing on their play station sounds fun in principle, the reality is the disruption and lack of education could have a massive part on their lives and even mental health.

These kids idolise the players. And the players can uniquely connect with them in a way that no politician, medical expert, or even parent or teacher can. By sending out even just some simple videos explaining in a simple way to the kids the importance of what we are all sacrificing I believe would go a long way.

Perhaps other stuff like the players showing kids exercises and skills they could do at home in the garden. And giving them something to look forward to would also help.

The club get a lot right. And I don’t expect them to manage this situation perfectly. And I don’t expect them to take pay cuts or give us refunds. But I think they have a duty to the fans to at least reminds us of how close this club supposedly is.

I’ve wrote a letter to the club because I believe that they can and will have a massive role to fill for that generation of fans who are probably lonely, scared and vulnerable.

We all worry about the future of the club. Hope they can play a part in helping its community at this time and not just worry about it’s own bank balance.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Re: The clubs response to the current situation

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:06 am

Quick look the website suggests the latest communication about the financial implications of not completing the league is not the only things they've put out since mid march.
www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/news-archive

Not disagreeing with you, there probably could have been more/better content. Wonder if their departments are depleted due to illness, self isolation and furlough?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:19 am

most of what you talk about appears to be covered by the role of BFC in the community - who do seem to be doing a lot (supported by the players and staff too)

https://www.burnleyfccommunity.org/

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:26 am

CricketfieldClaret has made some great points here and I couldn't agree more.
I noticed that a few players have been ringing some older supporters up for a natter, which is a lovely gesture.
The 3 part Q&A with the manager was also a good P. R exercise.
Last week I tweeted Nick Pope, and mentioned that it was my son's 14th birthday, and that all original plans were cancelled. Within an hour Nick had sent a message back to him, it absolutely made his day.
Mike Bardi the golf pro at golf Rossendale is putting a simple practice drill on twitter everyday, this has been really popular and has gone down well with customers.
I hope BFC take the letter sent by CFC seriously and just try to do a little bit more, maybe a daily message off a player or an interview like the manager did last week.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am

I know my Grandad watches the Saturday Classics games on the Burnley YouTube channel on a Saturday and he said it makes his day. He rings me after the game to discuss how everyone played :lol:
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am

Dont forget you've been in isolation for a month.were all in the same boat.when the ball starts rolling we the fans of all ages roll with it... as Bob Dylan sang. The times they are a changing.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 am

We all worry about the future of the club. Hope they can play a part in helping its community at this time and not just worry about it’s own bank balance.
Good luck with that one, all football clubs care about is money.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:40 am

I agree with most. The club do some great stuff. And the players all seem grounded and reasonably able to connect with unlike most millionaire sports stars. But the club could utilise this so much.

The calls the players have put in to fans doesn’t surprise me. It’s brilliant. But I think the club have to push this and get it out there.

We all need good news right now n

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:41 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:19 am
most of what you talk about appears to be covered by the role of BFC in the community - who do seem to be doing a lot (supported by the players and staff too)

https://www.burnleyfccommunity.org/
True. But clarets in the community won’t connect with the kids. The players will.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 am

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am
Dont forget you've been in isolation for a month.were all in the same boat.when the ball starts rolling we the fans of all ages roll with it... as Bob Dylan sang. The times they are a changing.
Of course. And I agree with that.

Just think there are a lot of kids. (And older folk) that will be cooped up, not always in the best conditions and wondering why they’re bothering.

The club can send out the same message as the politicians and doctors but it’s own spin on it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 am

For context this is the letter.

To all at Burnley Football Club.

Firstly I hope all connected with the club are safe, healthy and as unaffected as possible by this horrendous pandemic.

I write this as a lifelong Burnley supporter and a season ticket holder for the majority of those 35 years. Like most Burnley supporters I had no other choice being schooled and raised in the town and living within a short walk of the stadium. My parents, aunts and uncles, brother and sisters, cousins, nephew and nieces have all been lifelong clarets too. And my young daughter already is and are expecting another claret son or daughter in just a few short weeks.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one that none of us will ever have experienced. Unprecedented is the word of the moment but there is no other to do it justice. At this difficult time I feel that Burnley Football Club has a moral and ethical role to play during this situation.

We have all read the update about the precarious situation that the club may face if the season ends prematurely. And we all hope that sooner than later a degree of normality resumes and we can all watch our beloved Clarets be it from Turf Moor or at least from a TV Screen.

However I must add that I have been extremely disappointed at the lack of updates and engagement that have proactively come out of the club. And it is a sentiment that many will share.

It is now 30 days since our last game with Tottenham and the lack of updates or communication from the club has been extremely disappointing. Save an update about the financial challenge the club faces without any recognition of that which the town and those who live and work within it face.

The comments below from this weekends statement about Burnley potentially losing £55m only further emphasise this disparity between club and fans at this moment. Those figures are actually an alien concept for most to comprehend anyway, when many will struggle to make ends meet at this difficult time.

‘It’s now not just about Burnley or any other individual club anymore, it’s about the whole football ecosystem from the Premier League downwards and all the other businesses and communities that feed from that ecosystem.’

There is nothing in that phrase or the statement as a whole that connects with the fans.

Like most I continue to pay for this seasons ‘season tickets’ (as I should) and have just renewed next seasons (four tickets in total for three generations of us). This is probably blind optimism about life in general reverting to normal, not to mention football. But its an obligation we all feel we have to a club that is so integral to the fabric of the town. We also have four tickets for the postponed fixture with Manchester City away which we hope will some day soon be rearranged. We have no intention of requesting refunds for any of these tickets regardless of the outcome. However as the economical situation worsens, many will. The club emphasising its own problems without recognising that of its most important asset – its fans is short-sighted and in my view will only accelerate that.

Burnley fans are pretty unique in the sense that we overwhelmingly believe our players and staff deserve every penny they earn. From the first eleven through the backroom & off field staff and up to board level. You all do an incredible job. We are fiercely proud of the team and the club. And equally proud of the constant overachievement we see. We have all seen comments aimed at professional footballers and an expectation for them to take paycuts. And once again we are unique in that none of us expect or want our players to take such cuts. We recognise that although the sums are much bigger they still have commitments for during and after their short career. And we also recognise the sacrifices they make and indeed tax they contribute towards our now fragile economy.

We are a club that constantly cuts its cloth accordingly and regularly posts record profits. We as fans are proud of that too. In the unlikely event the system collapses we should be in a better position than many. And should it collapse the club will need every single one of the fans more than any amount of Premier League or sponsorship money – much like at the time of The ITV Digital Collapse.

Now is the time to get the fans onside. I don’t suggest that the fans need financial support. Far from it. But they do need to hear from the club and communication needs to be far better. Especially for our fans at the youngest and oldest end of the spectrum. For the older generation they are the ones that are most worried about the crisis from a medical point of view. The most vulnerable. And to many of them Burnley is there sole social activity every two weeks. For the younger fans its incredibly difficult for them to comprehend exactly what is going on right now, the importance of staying in and how long this will last. I fear not only for their education but also for their mental wellbeing as their life is so disrupted at such an important stage of their development. And for us in the middle – its all about looking after those other two camps.

The players are idols to the fans. Especially the kids. With the advent of social media and children now having more time than ever to access it, the club simply has to be connecting with them to help them get through what is undoubtedly a traumatic time.

The players have a unique opportunity to connect with them that no politician, health expert or even parent or teacher can. Daily videos from the players aimed at the children and emphasising the message in a simple, concise way as to why its so important to continue what they are doing will go a long way. Personal messages even more so! There are less than 50 schools in the town and it would take only minutes for each player to record a message to 2 schools each. Engagement like that is worth more than money to our next generation. They idolise every one of our players!

We don’t expect the players or manager or anyone at the club to be an expert on the virus, how long it will go on or when we will play again. We don’t expect refunds or handouts. (Although the foodbank donations are incredibly generous and important and have to be applauded). But connecting with and updating the fans is all we ask – and even showing that we are all in the same boat will go a long, long way.

Burnley FC has always been the lifeblood of the town and so many businesses around it for 138 years. But ironically with the season prematurely halted and with no known return date, now more than ever the fans need the club.

We all want to return to Turf Moor as soon as possible. But as the pandemic spreads and communication from the club doesn’t, there is a danger that football falls way down the pecking list of priorities for us all.

Yours faithfully

J**** *********

Season Ticket Holder
These 3 users liked this post: ecc paulatky DomBFC1882

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 am

I'm not reading....much to long. Will they read it no...much to long.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 am
when the ball starts rolling we the fans of all ages roll with it... as Bob Dylan sang.
I think you will find it was Oasis and not Bob Dylan who sang Roll With It

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58 am

They will read it.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 am

Good effort but I'll be amazed if you get a reply.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 am

A fantastic letter well done utc
This user liked this post: paulatky

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 am

Great letter CFC
This user liked this post: tim_noone

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 am

[quote=tim_noone post_
I'm not reading....much to long. Will they read it no...much to long.
[/quote]

I hope they the club do read it, it's been perfectly put together. I applaud your effort CFC, well done.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

I don't agree with the tone of the e-mail/letter. It's very emotive and critical of the club when they haven't done anything wrong. Your suggestions are reasonable and it would be great if the club did some of what you suggest. Problem is it will get the readers back up before they get to that point. Hopefully you will get somewhere, but I personally feel you'd have had more chance if you'd have been more suggestive of what they could do rather than critical and demanding.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:16 am

Well done CFC for taking the time an effort to do that. I see no reason why your letter won't be put infront of all Board members and I'm pretty sure you'll get a reply. It will be interesting if you do get a reply to see if you're able to share it with us.
I would just add that I think your suggestion could easily be put together, especially the players involvement. Imagine with the current technology if a different player every few weeks could do a moral boosting video and do it in such a way that it felt as if was directly aimed at the individual who received it. I'm sure the club could then send that video to all season ticket holders and people registered. It would feel so special to that individual and as I say a real morale booster.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 am

Brilliant letter. Too long? No. Will they read it? Yes. Will tim_noone read it? Who ******* cares?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:28 am

Sausage wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 am
Brilliant letter. Too long? No. Will they read it? Yes. Will tim_noone read it? Who ******* cares?
:lol:
This user liked this post: KateR

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Can you put a ps in for an update on JBG's injury?

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm

I can't help but feel life is more important than football and I haven't even thought about updates from Burnley Football Club.
This user liked this post: ten bellies

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:21 pm
Can you put a ps in for an update on JBG's injury?
He's back on the grass......in his garden.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:19 pm

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm
I can't help but feel life is more important than football and I haven't even thought about updates from Burnley Football Club.
I fall into this category too. Spot on.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac claretfern

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm

I guess they read it....well done CC. :D

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:38 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Agreed.

A really well constructed letter with lots of good points BUT, what do you expect the Club to do?

All individuals are coping with this in their own way and, as John says, life is more important than football - certainly at present when folk are dying in thousands throughout the Country.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm

I strongly suspect that the Club were onto this well before your letter to them.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm
I strongly suspect that the Club were onto this well before your letter to them.
I am BC not CC :lol:
tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 pm

I understand that BC :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Great letter CricketfieldClarets and I hope they read it. But I agree with JohnMac on this one, life is more important than football at the moment. One thing I will say is that small touches like the Back to The Fixture games every Saturday help for me - especially when your weekly routine is geared towards watching a football match at 3p.m on Saturday. The Twitter Q&A series with SD was good as well. It's a difficult one for BFC to get the response correct and meeting the requirements of all audiences.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:10 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm
They have read it and replied. Havent had time to read it yet but if im permitted I will share the content.

Credit to them for doing so, so quickly.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 pm

I know your not the brightest..but it was relating to your Link...As CC is an avid follower of you and steve he I'm sure Would have logged in to see your post. And fully understood my contribution to the Said Post. :D Nob! K

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

JohnMac wrote:
I do agree John. And for me they have gone from one of top priorities to not even in my top twenty.

But for the kids I truly think the club can play a huge part.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:10 pm
They have read it and replied. Havent had time to read it yet but if im permitted I will share the content.

Credit to them for doing so, so quickly.
As sausage will confirm.....I knew they would. :D
This user liked this post: Sausage

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
They just brought it forward a Little sooner maybe. :D

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:31 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Perhaps they were. Who knows. They took their time and the update about the clubs problems was ill timed in that case.

The club play a huge part in many fans lives. And all the kids that are sat at home suffering and wondering how long this will go on will relate to the players.

Some of us will connect with what the PM says, some the queen. Most the scientists.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Sufferings a bit strong a word to be Honest.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm

The club's response has been rightly removed. It was sent to an individual and therefore should not be made public on this board. We've been in trouble for that before.

Very surprised though that the response wasn't from the SLO.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:44 pm
Sufferings a bit strong a word to be Honest.
I'm not and you're not but plenty are.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm
I know your not the brightest..but it was relating to your Link...As CC is an avid follower of you and steve he I'm sure Would have logged in to see your post. And fully understood my contribution to the Said Post. :D Nob! K
You may have been referencing the OP but you replied to my post so I raise your Nob and ... oooohhh hang on a minute I mean ner ner ner and Double Knob :lol: :lol: :lol:

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm
The club's response has been rightly removed. It was sent to an individual and therefore should not be made public on this board. We've been in trouble for that before.

Very surprised though that the response wasn't from the SLO.
Is that still Harriot ?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 pm
Is that still Harriot ?
No - she left around the end of last season. Anita took over some time ago.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:34 pm

The club have responded to my email with further detail from the supporter liaison officer and have given permission to share both emails.

Which I will do if permitted on here.

In short though it’s a brilliant email that shows they’ve done far more than I and seemingly many others I spoke to had realised.

With plenty done for local schools, community groups and foodbanks etc.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone tiger76