The Queen

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: The Queen

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:45 am

conyoviejo wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 am
"You are " .. 8-)
Yes I was waiting for the grammar police but elected to roll with it.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:44 am
You are a :D
Claro que sI.. :D

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:52 am

"One can’t wait for this all to be over, so Philip will stop wanging on about his bloody sourdough starter kit."

queen.jpg
queen.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:26 am
I see jrgbfc taking some stick above. He is right though, how can you seriously give footballers stick when this family, part funded by us, has estates, mansions , buildings, land and resource that could all be utilised in some way?

Yes lovely speech, well worded, but imagine the impact on morale if she'd said that one of her estates would become a field hospital or part of Buckingham Palace an observation ward etc.

We are being played. She won't be scrambling for PPE, a ventilator or suitable care.

God save her and all that. But God save Dave 3 doors down at number 44 too.
That was a better speech than hers.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 am

The Queen of England appeared on tv to advise people to follow the government advice to help us get back to normal, to beat this disease and then offered a few well chosen words of hope for the future to people who are very scared at the moment.

Yet some see it as an opportunity to have a dig at her and her family. Read the bit about looking back and feeling proud of how you dealt with these times.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Bosscat KateR

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 am

No affinity to the Queen at all ,but contrast her words and dignity to that of Trump and Johnson
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Buxtonclaret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm

you're surely not daft enough to think she wrote it .
These 3 users liked this post: Hapag Lloyd Claret-On-A-T-Rex mapinchina

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm

These threads are always so useful to keep the block-list nicely updated
This user liked this post: KateR

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Archer wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm
...with brainless royalists and people who can't use their or you're properly :D

I do the same, I'm getting quite an Up The Clarets safe space these days :lol:

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm

Archer wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm
it's just a typical thread in a typical life of UTC posters, 99% of threads the same collection of haters come out in force like all bullies trying to show how clever they are, you can see them continually liking each other, as they try to out do each other in the hate game.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Maybe some of us can't understand why we're supposed to doff our caps and look up to a certain family, purely based on bloodline? The whole idea is ridiculous and belongs in Victorian times.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:16 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 pm
Maybe some of us can't understand why we're supposed to doff our caps and look up to a certain family, purely based on bloodline? The whole idea is ridiculous and belongs in Victorian times.
quite clearly a great response with a lot of thought behind it, much appreciated

When, please do tell, was the last time you actually saw doff a cap at anyone? Maybe it was a view, that you think that a certain amount of the population think this, I would see that as completely wrong and like always the pendulum has swung to far from those days, where a lot did it out of respect, now a lack of respect for anything seems to be the norm.

I completely disagree with your assumption that the idea is ridiculous, this is a black and white view, one we will never come close to agreeing.
If you want to talk about bloodlines, how about yours and let's get the view of someone sat in a refugee camp as to what they think shall we and how you could help them from your privileged position in life.

I have lived and worked in some of the poorest places on earth, I have seen real poverty up close and personal, you are a privileged (white male probably) to billions and you are complaining about a few people, get some perspective please, none of us get to chose which bloodline we are born in to.

I for one would never, not even contemplate changing places with the queen or her immediate family, for me that would never be a privilege but I would agree it's preferable to being born in to some family with abject poverty. Perhaps it's just that I feel privileged and thankful that I was born in Burnley/UK and of the parents I had who taught me manners and respect for all, even you who I disagree with.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:10 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 pm
If the whole idea is ridiculous, how come 24,000,000 decided to watch her address last night?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:16 pm
quite clearly a great response with a lot of thought behind it, much appreciated

When, please do tell, was the last time you actually saw doff a cap at anyone? Maybe it was a view, that you think that a certain amount of the population think this, I would see that as completely wrong and like always the pendulum has swung to far from those days, where a lot did it out of respect, now a lack of respect for anything seems to be the norm.

I completely disagree with your assumption that the idea is ridiculous, this is a black and white view, one we will never come close to agreeing.
If you want to talk about bloodlines, how about yours and let's get the view of someone sat in a refugee camp as to what they think shall we and how you could help them from your privileged position in life.

I have lived and worked in some of the poorest places on earth, I have seen real poverty up close and personal, you are a privileged (white male probably) to billions and you are complaining about a few people, get some perspective please, none of us get to chose which bloodline we are born in to.

I for one would never, not even contemplate changing places with the queen or her immediate family, for me that would never be a privilege but I would agree it's preferable to being born in to some family with abject poverty. Perhaps it's just that I feel privileged and thankful that I was born in Burnley/UK and of the parents I had who taught me manners and respect for all, even you who I disagree with.
Did your parents teach you sarcasm along with your manners and respect?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:10 pm
If the whole idea is ridiculous, how come 24,000,000 decided to watch her address last night?
Because people are stuck at home, and it was on basically every TV channel. 5 million people watched some computerised horses running round a virtual track on Saturday afternoon!

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm

joey13 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm
Did your parents teach you sarcasm along with your manners and respect?
Nope, that was one of things I had to teach myself growing up and entering the workforce with a bunch of white privileged males like you, they insulted and ignored any different thoughts to there beliefs, but especially from a women, ohhh no that wont do at all will it.

I doubt my mother actually ever used sarcasm on me or my sister, my father left when I was very young, the step father who stepped into that place I can only praise He was down to earth, very black and white in my early years and teens, as I entered work he explained about men and women in the work place and told me about the issues I would face, just didn't expect it so much on a forum like this but we learn. I know I should bow to my betters but have always been a bit of a rebel, well that's a nice word for it I suppose.
These 2 users liked this post: joey13 Bosscat

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm
Nope, that was one of things I had to teach myself growing up and entering the workforce with a bunch of white privileged males like you, they insulted and ignored any different thoughts to there beliefs, but especially from a women, ohhh no that wont do at all will it.

I doubt my mother actually ever used sarcasm on me or my sister, my father left when I was very young, the step father who stepped into that place I can only praise He was down to earth, very black and white in my early years and teens, as I entered work he explained about men and women in the work place and told me about the issues I would face, just didn't expect it so much on a forum like this but we learn. I know I should bow to my betters but have always been a bit of a rebel, well that's a nice word for it I suppose.
Do not profess to know me ,I’m far from privileged utc

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm

joey13 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm
Do not profess to know me ,I’m far from privileged utc
I know you have internet access, I know you post, I know you're privileged according to billions, get over it because it's a fact, not nice when people call you on this kind of thing is it?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm
I know you have internet access, I know you post, I know you're privileged according to billions, get over it because it's a fact, not nice when people call you on this kind of thing is it?
Really :o at this present time , goodbye

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Just been chatting to my 2 children on, I think it is called Facetime, bit like Skype but on your mobile. Anyway daughter will be 28 in July and Son will be 25 in August, so young adults really. Asked them both if they had watched the Queen speech and they both responded in the negative. I pressed on seeking reasons for this and I think it is fair to say that for them at least the Queen and the Royal Family are of little to no relevance. I can't see it lasting myself, we shall see.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:24 pm

Maybe we should get Aitch to go on national TV and rap a message of hope and goodwill out for the younger generation-innit. ;)

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 pm

Corky wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:00 pm
Just been chatting to my 2 children on, I think it is called Facetime, bit like Skype but on your mobile. Anyway daughter will be 28 in July and Son will be 25 in August, so young adults really. Asked them both if they had watched the Queen speech and they both responded in the negative. I pressed on seeking reasons for this and I think it is fair to say that for them at least the Queen and the Royal Family are of little to no relevance. I can't see it lasting myself, we shall see.
It's such a small sample though isn't it, my son/wife and eldest of the grandchildren aged 4 watched, granddaughter was amazed by seeing the queen speak. My husband, son and myself watched in Houston, it goes worldwide and is beyond the UK, I can't see it not lasting myself and we would be poorer for not having the queen/royalty. This is of course an important opinion and that's all it is, there is no right or wrong.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm
Why would you bring someone’s gender or race into this? Just because someone doesn’t agree with you it’s not because you’re a woman and they’re a privileged white male (which is a wild assumption on your part). It’s a perfectly reasonable view to take that the monarchy is no longer fit for purpose, whether you agree or not.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm
Why would you bring someone’s gender or race into this? Just because someone doesn’t agree with you it’s not because you’re a woman and they’re a privileged white male (which is a wild assumption on your part). It’s a perfectly reasonable view to take that the monarchy is no longer fit for purpose, whether you agree or not.
when people don't read and put some perspective behind what I or others say/said for numerous points/posts it's very frustrating, so let's just leave it there shall we please.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:53 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 pm
when people don't read and put some perspective behind what I or others say/said for numerous points/posts it's very frustrating, so let's just leave it there shall we please.
I did read and wondered why you would assume someone is white, male and privileged and then attribute that to why they have a different opinion on the royal family? If you don’t want to explain it’s fine, I just find it odd.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 pm

the poster I was replying to was being critical, he mentioned why should he when they are privileged, I pointed out it was all a matter of perspective, that millions, in fact I suspect billions, around the world look at him in his position and would say he is privileged. I only used the "white" as probably because that is quite a well known statement "white privileged middle aged man" but left the age out. I also explained I felt privileged to because of myself being born in Burley to the parents I have, this discussion was mingled with bloodlines, that I pointed out none of us can choose.

In terms of a women he further on the next what I perceive to be a personal attack, mentioned "had my parents taught me sarcasm" this because I mentioned respect in regard to the queen, where I was generally saying today (because of his doff a cap comment) mentioned respect was shown in my grand parents time, often by doffing a cap and that today respect as a pendulum seemed to have swung the other way and there was to little respect shown. I mentioned that no my parents didn't teach me sarcasm but that I learned that myself when starting work much from the men who showed little respect and were dismissive.

This was also from some other previous other posts to me on this forum telling me to shut up you stupid women! I am in no way shape or form saying who said that, and only mention it in response to your women comment.

If you go back on this thread I said very clearly it is a divisive point and not worth discussing I think, but is continuedly being brought back again when this thread has almost disappeared of the first page of the forum.

I really did not want to write the above but felt it necessary since you asked. Hopefully this is the end of this thread.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 pm

God save the Queen!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 pm
the poster I was replying to was being critical, he mentioned why should he when they are privileged, I pointed out it was all a matter of perspective, that millions, in fact I suspect billions, around the world look at him in his position and would say he is privileged. I only used the "white" as probably because that is quite a well known statement "white privileged middle aged man" but left the age out. I also explained I felt privileged to because of myself being born in Burley to the parents I have, this discussion was mingled with bloodlines, that I pointed out none of us can choose.

In terms of a women he further on the next what I perceive to be a personal attack, mentioned "had my parents taught me sarcasm" this because I mentioned respect in regard to the queen, where I was generally saying today (because of his doff a cap comment) mentioned respect was shown in my grand parents time, often by doffing a cap and that today respect as a pendulum seemed to have swung the other way and there was to little respect shown. I mentioned that no my parents didn't teach me sarcasm but that I learned that myself when starting work much from the men who showed little respect and were dismissive.

This was also from some other previous other posts to me on this forum telling me to shut up you stupid women! I am in no way shape or form saying who said that, and only mention it in response to your women comment.

If you go back on this thread I said very clearly it is a divisive point and not worth discussing I think, but is continuedly being brought back again when this thread has almost disappeared of the first page of the forum.

I really did not want to write the above but felt it necessary since you asked. Hopefully this is the end of this thread.
Thanks for the explanation. It didn’t really warrant it as I understand how the thread has gone from reading it. I just don’t understand why you brought being white and male into the discussion for, and to be quite honest after your last post I still don’t.

Of course privilege is relative. In this country we are all privileged compared to a lot of people in third world countries. But that doesn’t dilute the validity of someone’s view that we shouldn’t be furnishing people with obscene riches just because of the family they are born into. It’s a perfectly valid viewpoint whether that person is relatively privileged compared to some or not.

Happy for the thread to end, but this is a place for discussion and that’s all I’m doing. Nothing nasty, nothing personal, just discussing something that you’ve posted.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 pm

I ain’t read the thread but my guess would be that it’s descended and / or gone off at several tangents given something that wasn’t that newsworthy in the first place is still being discussed a few days later.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:11 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:57 pm
I ain’t read the thread but my guess would be that it’s descended and / or gone off at several tangents given something that wasn’t that newsworthy in the first place is still being discussed a few days later.
You’d be right to say that it’s gone off on a bit of a tangent but I wouldn’t exactly say it’s descended. Like any post regarding members of the royal family there are going to be comments both against and in favour of the monarchy.

To be honest I get the impression that some people think that we shouldn’t be allowed to debate things given the current situation. Of course we are all ‘pulling together’ and I’m fully supportive of the ‘be nice’ policy that has been stressed recently on this board. But it’s perfectly fine for people to have different views and I personally don’t see the problem with people stating their pro or anti-monarchy views on a thread entitled ‘The Queen’.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm

94 today happy birthday ma'am,long may you reign.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret KateR

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm

I always remember the date, as it used to also be my dog's! :)

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:23 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm
I always remember the date, as it used to also be my dog's! :)
Has your dog’s birthday changed?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18258 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Happy Birthday Ma-am (rhymes with ham)

👍😎👍
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm

The Queen's Jugs

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Happy Birthday your Majesty.

Is also my mum's birthday. Would have been 97 today.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Happy Birthday to our Wonderful Queen, who been a credit to our country throughout her long reign. Long may it continue..

God save the Queen.
These 2 users liked this post: spadesclaret KateR

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3770 times
Has Liked: 7569 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 am

joey13 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 am
No affinity to the Queen at all ,but contrast her words and dignity to that of Trump and Johnson
Then again, my neighbour's parrot has more dignity than those two chancers when it speaks.
This user liked this post: grapidianclaret

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Well,she suits that..Wonder if Philip did it ? (Schofield) .lol.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 1060 times