Great football quotes ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Great football quotes ....

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Just a few random quotes, some well known, others not so much ....

1) Kenny Dalglish on his Celtic debut, " Aye, 25th September 1968, League Cup quarter final away at Hamilton Accies, came on as a sub with 20 minutes to go, when we were leading 3-1 ..... we were 10-0 up from the 1st leg, " Big Jock " wasna' taking too many chances with me ! "

2) Post match interview with Ron Atkinson, " I never comment on a Referee's performance, and I'm not breaking my rule for that pratt ! "

3) Tommy Doherty, on asked to name his post-war British XI, " I'd have Tom Finney on the left wing, but I'd have to think about the other 10 " !

4) Sir Stan Matthews in one of his auto-biographies, " They say some players can make the ball talk, Jimmy McIlroy could make it recite Shakespeare "

5) Brian Clough, on rumours that he was about to be offered the Republic of Ireland job, on a p/t basis, " i've had no approach, but the travel wouldn't be a problem, just a short walk across the Irish sea " !

6) Stan Ternent " Of course it was a penalty, a stonewaller, a blind man on a galloping horse could see that " !

7) Jack Charlton at a press conference, amidst rumours of a fall out with Roy Keane, " Nonsense, he's a lovely lad, Roy ... we're going out dancing together later "

8) Howard Wilkinson " There are two types of Manager in the game, ones that have been sacked, and ones that will be sacked in the future "

9) Gordon Strachan on Scotland taking a surprise lead against Brazil in 1982, " I thought " Oh S**t, we've really annoyed them now ! "

10) Hamilton manager, Ian Munro, during a losing streak, " I'd hang myself, but we can't afford the rope ! "

I'm sure others have plenty of contenders ... :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: groove

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Re: Great football quotes ....

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:04 pm

On the subject of Tommy Doc and Tom Finney.

When both were at Preston, Doc was called in at the end of the season to be told he was being retained with a wage of £8 per week during the season and £6 per week during the close season. He protested and said Finney was getting £8 all year round only to be told that Finney was a better player than him. "Not in the bloody summer he isn't," said Docherty.
These 4 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Tricky Trevor Foulthrow groove

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 pm

I'd never heard the Jimmy Mac one, but I shall point it out to my Stoke supporting mate.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:07 pm

“Whichever team scores more goals usually wins.” - Michael Clueless Owen

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Yes, like the Jimmy Mac one.
“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” - George Best
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Kevin Keegan- “I know what is around the corner – I just don’t know where the corner is.”

David May-“Apparently, when you head a football, you lose brain cells, but it doesn’t bother me. I’m a horse. No one’s proved it yet have they?”

Tony Adams-“It’s a no-win game for us. Although I suppose we can win by winning.”

Mark Hateley-“I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.”

Ian Rush-“I’d like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.”

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Playing for Hatfield Town in the London Metropolitan League, during one Tuesday night training session then manager Ron Catlin told us to "spread out in a bunch". A few weeks later he came out with "you four form a triangle" for another training exercise!
These 2 users liked this post: Clarets4me Tricky Trevor

Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by Claretmisterg » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:23 am

Gordon Strachan when, I think, he was managing Coventry. “Can we have a quick word, Gordon.” “Velocity” he replied and walked off.

todclaret
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 am

Stan Ternent re Arthur Gnohere "He's got an injury between the ears"
then there's Gordon Strachan

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

there's a list of them here

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Gordo ... n+-+Quotes

sandy richardson
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by sandy richardson » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Didn't Ian Rush also come back from Juventus complaining that it had been like living in a foreign country?

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Love this one from Bobby Robson:

"It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony karatekid tim_noone

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Another from Strachan (talking about Wayne Rooneys first England call up :

"It's an incredible rise to stardom, at 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Erikson"

Kevin Keegan :

"They are the 2nd best team in the world, and you can't get higher praise than that"

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:09 pm
Another from Strachan (talking about Wayne Rooneys first England call up :

"It's an incredible rise to stardom, at 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Erikson"

Kevin Keegan :

"They are the 2nd best team in the world, and you can't get higher praise than that"
Yep there's plenty of KK ones,he often suffered from foot in mouth moments.

I'm not sure the Michael Jackson comment has aged well considering all the news coverage since.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:00 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:05 pm
Yep there's plenty of KK ones,he often suffered from foot in mouth moments.
True, though my favourite quote of his is actually a nice post match remark he made about Burnley.

It was just after he's been confirmed as England manager for their next fixture away against Hungary.

He was still Fulham manager at the time and when he bought them to The Turf he received a fantastic welcome from the Burnley fans which I think genuinely moved him.

After the game the interviewer remarked on the supportive reception he'd received and then inevitably asked about his upcoming first game as England Manager.

He replied "football is more about places like Burnley than Budapest"

I kinda got what he meant and I think it was meant as a compliment..
These 2 users liked this post: djt2006 tim_noone

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 pm

..and one from Shanks:

We beat them four nil and they were lucky to get nil.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:59 pm

“Have it...”

Kevin Ball to fatty Dunn.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Another from Stan after the 4-2 defeat at Sheffield United on the Wednesday after the cup defeat at Watford. We were awful that night and Stan changed the formation at half time. He was asked about it after the game and he said: "We went from sixes and sevens to sevens and eights."
This user liked this post: tim_noone

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Strahan was always quit-witted when interviewed. Some very funny replies.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Big Ron Atkinson took WBA on a football tournament to China. When he got back he was interviewed by local TV and was asked "Did you get time to see the Great Wall of China". "See it ?" he replied "we used to practice our free kicks around it"

Tommy Docherty was being interviewed and Darren Anderton came up in the chat, and was asked about his chances of playing for England . Anderson as you know was always getting injured . Tommy replied "he could get injured doing Question Of Sport"

Tommy Docherty was once asked about John Bond , and his successes. Tommy replied "hes had more clubs than Arnold Palmer"

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Lord Baden Powell on football spectators in scouting for boys 1908:

"Miserable specimens.....learning to be hysterical as they groan or cheer in panic unison with their neighbours,worst of all being the hysterical scream of laughter that greets any trip or fall by a player".
This user liked this post: tim_noone

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:27 pm

Always remember Stan's plum duff comment, whatever plum duff is ?

"We're training tomorrow. Those players are having a laugh. I've stuck up for them but they are having a jolly, I'm so angry and I've told them. They've had too much turkey and too much plum duff and they have no desire. Christmas is cancelled. Everything's cancelled. There'll be no more time off until I get a better performance than that.”

Not quite a quote but worthy of mention was the phone in when a caller thought Niemi should be playing for Scotland. When told he was told of Niemi's nationality , the caller replied "no way he's finished"

djt2006
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 319 times

Post by djt2006 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Kevin Davies after Bolton were beaten 5-0 by Stoke in the FA cup semi final .... I wanted it to be a day to remember but it turned into a day I will never forget ... or something like that.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Bill Shankly.
“Of course I didn’t take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present. It was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves.”

“The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.”

“If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be.”

“At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques”

“If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”

“I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death, he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon.”

“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

If you can’t make decisions in life, you’re a bloody menace. You’d be better becoming an MP!

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:02 pm

I remember Kindon being interviewed by Gerald Sinstadt (I think) on his return to Burnley. Asked why he went to Wolves only to return to Burnley he said his doctor had advised him to give up football for awhile. It made Sinstadt laugh.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Bobby Robson was always good for a quote, eg

“I’d have given my right arm to be able to play the piano.”

“What can I say about Peter Shilton? Peter Shilton is Peter Shilton, and he has been Peter Shilton since the year dot.”

“Nobody’s going to just hand you a cup on a plate”

“I’m not looking beyond the semi-final, but we’d love to play in the final”

“The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important.”

“We don't want our players to be monks. We want them to be better football players because a monk doesn't play football at this level.”

“If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won't lay any eggs in the basket”

“Don't ask me what a typical Brazilian is because I don't know what a typical Brazilian is. But Romario was a typical Brazilian.”

“Gary Speed is irreplaceable. Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?”

“Titus (Bramble) looks like Tyson when he strips off in the dressing-room, except he doesn't bite. And he has a great tackle.”

“Andy O'Brien has a horrendous nose, the poor lad. It is massive, it is black and blue and it is awful.”

“We didn’t underestimate Cameroon. They were just a lot better than we thought.”

To Bryan Robson: “Morning, Bobby”
Bryan: “You’re Bobby. I’m Bryan.”

Reporter to Shola Ameobi: “Do you have a nickname?”
Ameobi: “No, not really”
Reporter: “So what does Bobby Robson call you?”
Ameobi: “Carl Cort”
This user liked this post: bobinho

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 pm

Bolton are 10 years ahead.......Owen Coyle

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 am

:lol: Them bobby Robson ones had me in stitches...

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am

There are a few good John Lambie ones. The best is when the physio told him a player was so badly concussed that he didn't know who he was - "tell him he's Pele and get him back on".

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... g-14513532
This user liked this post: kritichris

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 am

Sproggy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am
There are a few good John Lambie ones. The best is when the physio told him a player was so badly concussed that he didn't know who he was - "tell him he's Pele and get him back on".

:lol:

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 am

Sproggy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am

That made me laugh out loud :D