ARTICLE: Burnley Football Club are Champions of England

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

ARTICLE: Burnley Football Club are Champions of England

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 am

The final game of the season 60 years ago at Maine Road

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-fo ... of-england
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretGent durhamclaret Cajun Top Claret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley Football Club are Champions of England

Post by CleggHall » Sat May 02, 2020 10:39 am

What a night and result?
Alec Elder, only 19 years old, said Adam Blacklaw won them the match with possibly his best ever game for the club.
McIlroy seemed to spend half the season with his thigh strapped up but they were all Burnley heroes that night.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 am

Before my time (just) but thank you for a great report Tony.
It must have been fantastic to be there
Who from our massage board was there?

ClaretGent
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by ClaretGent » Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 am

Excellent report Tony. It really captures the sense of tension and excitement! It was well before my time, but I wish I could have been there to watch it.

Is there any archive video footage of this historic occasion? I don't recall ever seeing any.

CleggHall

Post by CleggHall » Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 am

I saw a lot of games that, my first, season but was too young to go to City. A crackly radio commentary had to suffice.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am

ClaretGent wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 am
Is there any archive video footage of this historic occasion? I don't recall ever seeing any.
Sadly I don’t think there is. Even on the club’s history video there was only still pics.

ClaretGent
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by ClaretGent » Sat May 02, 2020 11:21 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am
Sadly I don’t think there is. Even on the club’s history video there was only still pics.
That's a real shame, but at least we have the photos

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am

A great night in Burnley's history and an excellent series of reports brought to a satisfactory conclusion. My brother was there but although I'd been to a number of games this one was way off the radar for me. I was just 8 years old and seemed to spend hours looking at the photographs of the two.goals trying to work out just.how they had happened. Neither would it have been authentic without Jimmy Mc's right thigh strapped up. Thanks CT for allowing me to wallow in nostalgia over the last 9 or 10 months. What a time to be a Claret!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 11:27 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 am
A great night in Burnley's history and an excellent series of reports brought to a satisfactory conclusion. My brother was there but although I'd been to a number of games this one was way off the radar for me. I was just 8 years old and seemed to spend hours looking at the photographs of the two.goals trying to work out just.how they had happened. Neither would it have been authentic without Jimmy Mc's right thigh strapped up. Thanks CT for allowing me to wallow in nostalgia over the last 9 or 10 months. What a time to be a Claret!
Just a couple of things to add:

A few more short articles to come yet with the return from Manchester, the trophy presentation and the tour around town.

I’d like to continue this story over the next two seasons but that will be dependent on getting access to material at the library.
These 3 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous Rowls

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am

durhamclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 am
Who from our massage board was there?
Not sure they will own up! :D
This user liked this post: durhamclaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:49 am

Yes one advantage of my age is the "I was there" moment and what a moment it was for a team dead on its feet given the fixture pile up from April with 9 games in 30 days and 5 wins 3 draws and one defeat, maybe exiting the cup at Rovers allowed us this triumph for 2 years later with the title well within our grasp we let it slip by getting only 6 points from the last 9 with one win, four draws and four defeats. A point per game would have had us clinch that title on goal average but instead we had to play 11 games in 28 days from April 3rd to 30th which included the semifinal FA cup replay and then five days after the 11th game, our 12th game in 33 days, the Final on May 5th. There has always been a what if scenario to the end of that season for we used 15 players in those 10 league matches when maybe just maybe a better use of our strong reserve team squad would have achieved more
These 5 users liked this post: CleggHall durhamclaret Ashingtonclaret46 Rowls Redbeard

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sat May 02, 2020 11:55 am

Excellent work, T !

I've really enjoyed your coverage of the season as it evolved.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

CleggHall

Post by CleggHall » Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Yes mdd2 - 1962 was the real disappointment.
Despite scoring 101 goals handed the championship to Ipswich in their first season in the top flight and ran out of steam in the FA Cup final with Spurs. Interesting that you suggest mismanagement in the late-season run-in by failure to use more players and refresh the squad. I don't recall this was a criticism at the time but it was a mighty disappointing end to the season.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:14 pm

My Dad went on about it at the time -"Potts lost it for us by not using reserves"-but that may have stemmed from the issue in 60-61 when Burnley Reserves drew 4-4 with Chelsea and we got one point and a £1000 fine
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat May 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Championes Championes, Ole, Ole, Ole.

The chant not heard at that time!

Legends of Burnley.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am
Not sure they will own up! :D
I am proud as hell to be able to say I WAS THERE. Still the best football day of my life by some distance. Why on earth would any true Claret not want own up to that ?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:42 pm

It is true though FC in that crowd of 60K plus I didn't see a lot of the game although my abiding memory was of that strapped thigh at the corner flag keeping the ball from City as I had a decent view down the wing on my right and there was even not much to see in front of you even walking to and from the train station as the place was heaving.
I followed the coach half way around Burnley on my bike when the club toured the town with cup.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Anybody else listen to radio commentary? That's the first time I've heard about that.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm
I am proud as hell to be able to say I WAS THERE. Still the best football day of my life by some distance. Why on earth would any true Claret not want own up to that ?
If you look what the typo was from me FCBurnley, I asked if anyone from our Massage board was there obviously that should have been Message board!
So I think that IanMcL was being funny about my mistake and would, I'm sure be proud of any Claret who was there UTC

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat May 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Ok I missed the typo. Apologies to ianmcl. Thought it was a strange comment but I am still as proud as hell to say I was there

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat May 02, 2020 3:16 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:42 pm
It is true though FC in that crowd of 60K plus I didn't see a lot of the game although my abiding memory was of that strapped thigh at the corner flag keeping the ball from City as I had a decent view down the wing on my right and there was even not much to see in front of you even walking to and from the train station as the place was heaving.
I followed the coach half way around Burnley on my bike when the club toured the town with cup.
Very true mdd. Not easy as a 12 year old to see very much. Possibly the best part of the night was the drive home on the A56. Impossible to put into words what it was like. I was with my mate and our dads. Our car had a sun roof and my dad allowed us to stand with our heads out of the roof. Unbelievable and never to. E repeated experience
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Bit On radio lancs now

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 3:40 pm

3 til 4 radio lancs about the title win
If you go on now you can just slide it back to the start

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat May 02, 2020 3:58 pm

I was there. We left Burnley several hours before the kick off in my dad's MORRIS 1000. It took an age to get there going through Rawtenstall, Edenfield, Bury, North Manchester, after all there were no motorways in those days and the traffic was horrendous. We parked up what seemed like miles from the ground and had to walk along with tens of thousands of others up to Main Rd. About 200 yards from the ground we hit a wall of people jam packed together.....those were the queues!
I think we queued for about an hour, slowly inching our way to the turnstiles in a sea of humanity. We eventual squeezed through the turnstiles about 40 minutes before the kick off.
I don't remember much about the game: fortunately my dad got us close to a wall on the Kippax end and the view we has wasn't bad. I remember Pilky's first goal and to this day I don't know if it was a shot or a centre that went in the net. I do recall that the the last few minutes were the longest I've ever spent on a football match, I think my dad smoked about twenty Senior Service during the game. When the final whistle went it was a strange feeling of thank god for that and a quiet elation that my team were the Champions of England. The journey home was horrendous, I think we were still in sight of the ground after two hours. I seem to remember getting back in Burnley about 2am and as we came over the tops past The Waggoners all the cars were sounding their horns in unison as the convoy dropped down Manchester Rd in town.
When we got home my mum was still up and she said words to the effect "well, we'll have to plan getting our tickets for the Real Madrid game at the Turf". I think that's when it really hit home what we had achieved!!
These 5 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe Redbeard ClaretTony Cajun randomclaret2

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat May 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Cheers, CT. A long season.
With 3 points for a win we would have finished with 79 points from 42 games. Unbelievable by todays standards although it was far more of a level playing field back then.
A Cup final report would cheer me up during lockdown.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:02 pm

The one five days later might help. :)
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Sat May 02, 2020 6:26 pm

I was at Whitehough camp school that night, we were all watching a film when word got round that we had won and that was all I knew 'til my parents came to visit at the weekend. My dad brought me some of the papers with the reports in but I missed all celebrations around the town.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm
I think you should have another peep at the question asked of the members of this board and then decide! :D

(Of course, everyone would happily own up to being at Maine Road)

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:58 pm
I was there. We left Burnley several hours before the kick off in my dad's MORRIS 1000. It took an age to get there going through Rawtenstall, Edenfield, Bury, North Manchester, after all there were no motorways in those days and the traffic was horrendous. We parked up what seemed like miles from the ground and had to walk along with tens of thousands of others up to Main Rd. About 200 yards from the ground we hit a wall of people jam packed together.....those were the queues!
I think we queued for about an hour, slowly inching our way to the turnstiles in a sea of humanity. We eventual squeezed through the turnstiles about 40 minutes before the kick off.
I don't remember much about the game: fortunately my dad got us close to a wall on the Kippax end and the view we has wasn't bad. I remember Pilky's first goal and to this day I don't know if it was a shot or a centre that went in the net. I do recall that the the last few minutes were the longest I've ever spent on a football match, I think my dad smoked about twenty Senior Service during the game. When the final whistle went it was a strange feeling of thank god for that and a quiet elation that my team were the Champions of England. The journey home was horrendous, I think we were still in sight of the ground after two hours. I seem to remember getting back in Burnley about 2am and as we came over the tops past The Waggoners all the cars were sounding their horns in unison as the convoy dropped down Manchester Rd in town.
When we got home my mum was still up and she said words to the effect "well, we'll have to plan getting our tickets for the Real Madrid game at the Turf". I think that's when it really hit home what we had achieved!!
Great post vino blanco. Not sure if you were too young but do you remember harbouring any hopes we would win the league when the season first started?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:58 pm
Must have been so special to be there. I was just over five months away from my first game.

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 8:14 pm

I was 16 at the time and made it to Maine Rd with my dad and grandad in the Burnley Express van which was driven by my dad who was chief photographer for the Express. We had to park an awfully long way from the ground but dad had easy access to the ground while we had to queue. The queues were so long and slow that they began to close the turnstiles. I noticed a child’s turnstile and went through but thought I had a long wait for my grandad. Suddenly, there was a great roar and I found out later we had scored. Suddenly, my grandad emerged through the same turnstile I had entered having slipped the operator 5 bob to let him through. Then there was a second roar as City equalised. We got into the ground but couldn’t see a thing from the back of the large crowd. I found a spot where I could see but my grandad was considerably smaller and couldn’t see a thing. Suddenly we scored again through Trevor Meredith and the crowd surged forwards and we found ourselves half way down the terrace with a much better view. The match went ever so slowly after that and Blacklaw saved us many times in the second half. At the end we all celebrated then trudged our way back to the van. The journey home was very slow and we were just in front of the team coach. As we passed through Rawtenstall there were people in dressing gowns waiting for the team coach and cheering. At Burnley we went to the Town Hall where the team coach arrived ( minus Jimmy Mac who had been dropped off at his home) to a rapturous welcome. We got home at about 2 am after the greatest night of our lives. UTC
These 5 users liked this post: Cajun Silkyskills1 JohnDearyMe randomclaret2 Tricky Trevor

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm

The match is being played out “live” on BFC Twitter account. It’s half time and we are 2 -1 up. Some great black and white photos being posted on there. Did your dad take them FC?

Also interview with the great Alex Elder on the BFC web site he is currently in lockdown in Southern Spain.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 pm

Wearing the shirt with pride today. Would have loved to have been there - only a toddler at the time - but at least I can say we have been Champions in my lifetime :) Enjoyed the report, and the descriptions above from those that were there.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Johndearyme asked if I had any thoughts of Burnley being crowned Champions at the beginning of this incredible season. As a twelve year old when the season started I knew we had a good team because we finished the previous season with a flourish to end up in seventh place, whilst playing some very good football. When we beat Wolves, the top team, at home 4-1 quite early in the season I asked my dad if we could win the league. He said back then that he thought Spurs and Wolves were still the favourites but we had a chance. Later when we beat Nottingham Forest at home 8-0, I and all my pals thought we had a team good enough to go the whole way and belief in the team was very high, because we were playing some wonderful football.
I think as the season progressed and we had the great results over Easter we always felt it was possible: but even back then being a Burnley fans was not easy and you always feared the worst. As I said in my above post, when the final whistle went at Main Rd, I was actually relieved that it was all over and I could relax a little and just enjoy the moment.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe ClaretTony

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

Great report. What a win that was. I would have loved to have been there. I had no idea that Denis Law played for City at that time, I thought his transfer from Utd to City in 1973 was his first.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 03, 2020 12:16 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am
Great report. What a win that was. I would have loved to have been there. I had no idea that Denis Law played for City at that time, I thought his transfer from Utd to City in 1973 was his first.
Law played for Huddersfield, Man City & Torino before he played for Man United.

Frenchclaret

Post by Frenchclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 12:17 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm
The match is being played out “live” on BFC Twitter account. It’s half time and we are 2 -1 up. Some great black and white photos being posted on there. Did your dad take them FC?

Also interview with the great Alex Elder on the BFC web site he is currently in lockdown in Southern Spain.
Yes ClaretLoup, my dad probably took most of them. Although he was from Newcastle he supported Burnley having followed them in his job since the 1930’s.

Frenchclaret

Post by Frenchclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 12:22 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am
I met Denis Law at a function in Peterborough many years later and I asked him if he remembered the game. He said he did and went into some detail but I got the impression that he was very satisfied with the result as he didn’t like Wolves very much. I often wonder whether he slackened off in the second half but I may be mistaken.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 03, 2020 12:30 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm
The match is being played out “live” on BFC Twitter account. It’s half time and we are 2 -1 up.
One thing they didn’t realise is half time then was 10 minutes.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Not a bad outcome for my first full season of watching the Clarets! Every home game, some away games, reserve games and a few trips to other clubs when Burnley were playing away from home but not locally so that I could see other great players in action. Previous seasons I had been to some home games but 59-60 was so special to me not just because we ended up as Champions.
My dad went to the match and I don't remember what time he arrived back but I can remember him waking me up( much to my mother's disgust!) and he didn't have much voice left. He had always been confident we would win the league because he said Burnley's greatest strength was the fact that they always played as a team not as a collection of talented individuals. Yes, Jimmy Mac was the star player but from Blacklaw to Pilkington they played for each other. No subs then so playing through the pain barrier was considered a necessity at times.
What a season...what a team...what a club.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Suratclaret wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:48 pm
What a season...what a team...what a club.
Sums it up perfectly

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun May 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Frenchclaret wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:17 pm
Yes ClaretLoup, my dad probably took most of them. Although he was from Newcastle he supported Burnley having followed them in his job since the 1930’s.
I wonder if you are lucky enough to have any "out-takes" i.e. photos your dad took of matches and/or players that were not published and therefore not seen before ?

Cajun

Post by Cajun » Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Found this menu with most of the title-winning squad autographs on. Believe my dad got them. No idea what the event in Blackpool was for though. I thought it was from the 1959-60 season but now realize it is the previous one, but will post pix anyways. :roll: Pilkington, Miller, Angus, Connelly, Cheesebrough, Cummins, Seith, Blacklaw, Pointer, Smith, Adamson, McIlroy.
Souv1.jpg
Souv1.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Souv2.jpg
Souv2.jpg (78.23 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Cajun wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm
Found this menu with most of the title-winning squad autographs on. Believe my dad got them. No idea what the event in Blackpool was for though. I thought it was from the 1959-60 season but now realize it is the previous one, but will post pix anyways. :roll: Pilkington, Miller, Angus, Connelly, Cheesebrough, Cummins, Seith, Blacklaw, Pointer, Smith, Adamson, McIlroy.
Souv1.jpg
Souv2.jpg
Cajun, to try and solve your mystery I think the answer is that for many, many years tradition had it that our team would visit Blackpool (and often the Norbreck Castle) for a few days "special training" prior to a big game. Even as far back as the 1914 FA Cup Final Tommy Boyle and his famous team spent time away in Lytham before the big match.

Anyway, your autographed menu is dated 25th February 1959, just three days before we played away at Aston Villa in the 6th Round of the FA Cup. The competition was massive then and the sea air must have worked as we came away from Villa Park with a 0-0 draw in front of a crowd of 53,511.

Your autographs contain all the players who played for us that day apart from Colin McDonald who played in goal instead of Adam Blacklaw, whose name appears on your sheet. Also Brian Miller is on your sheet but he did not play either. The team was......McDonald, Angus, Smith, Seith, Cummings, Adamson, Connelly, Mac, Pointer, Cheesbrough & Pilkington.

Incidentally, and sadly, we lost the replay on the Turf the following Tuesday 0-2.
This user liked this post: Cajun

Cajun

Post by Cajun » Sun May 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 pm
Cajun, to try and solve your mystery I think the answer is that for many, many years tradition had it that our team would visit Blackpool (and often the Norbreck Castle) for a few days "special training" prior to a big game. Even as far back as the 1914 FA Cup Final Tommy Boyle and his famous team spent time away in Lytham before the big match.

Anyway, your autographed menu is dated 25th February 1959, just three days before we played away at Aston Villa in the 6th Round of the FA Cup. The competition was massive then and the sea air must have worked as we came away from Villa Park with a 0-0 draw in front of a crowd of 53,511.

Your autographs contain all the players who played for us that day apart from Colin McDonald who played in goal instead of Adam Blacklaw, whose name appears on your sheet. Also Brian Miller is on your sheet but he did not play either. The team was......McDonald, Angus, Smith, Seith, Cummings, Adamson, Connelly, Mac, Pointer, Cheesbrough & Pilkington.

Incidentally, and sadly, we lost the replay on the Turf the following Tuesday 0-2.
Royboy - thanks for that, clearly that is what was happening. We were living in Fleetwood then and my dad was in the Blackpool police, so I have no doubt he would have somehow wangled his way in to the event to be able to get to see the lads :) I came across the menu, which I had completely forgotten about, while I was hunting for the old special souvenir copy of the 72-73 promotion season which I posted a pic of on another thread, but I also had the bonus of finding wedged into an old scrapbook the copy of David Wiseman's little "Vintage Claret" book from the 70s that he had autographed for my dad and which I thought I had lost a long time ago. I need to have a proper sort through all my memorabilia stuff sometime :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Cajun wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:55 pm
Royboy - thanks for that, clearly that is what was happening. We were living in Fleetwood then and my dad was in the Blackpool police, so I have no doubt he would have somehow wangled his way in to the event to be able to get to see the lads :) I came across the menu, which I had completely forgotten about, while I was hunting for the old special souvenir copy of the 72-73 promotion season which I posted a pic of on another thread, but I also had the bonus of finding wedged into an old scrapbook the copy of David Wiseman's little "Vintage Claret" book from the 70s that he had autographed for my dad and which I thought I had lost a long time ago. I need to have a proper sort through all my memorabilia stuff sometime :D
David Wiseman is still around. He wrote the book ‘Up the Clarets’ and then the pictorial ‘Vintage Claret’ at a time when there were so few Burnley related books.

Cajun

Post by Cajun » Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:12 pm
David Wiseman is still around. He wrote the book ‘Up the Clarets’ and then the pictorial ‘Vintage Claret’ at a time when there were so few Burnley related books.
My dad knew David Wiseman in the 70s. He visited my mum a couple weeks after my dad died and wrote a dedication in a copy of his book for her.
Attachments
vintage1.jpg
vintage1.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3749 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon May 04, 2020 8:41 am

Cajun wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm
Souv1.jpg
Souv2.jpg
I have, or had, that menu minus the autographs.
Remember posting a pic of it on our old home on CM.
Just hope it wasn't a casualty of my moving house. But I've not seen it.

Frenchclaret

Post by Frenchclaret » Mon May 04, 2020 1:37 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:07 pm
I wonder if you are lucky enough to have any "out-takes" i.e. photos your dad took of matches and/or players that were not published and therefore not seen before ?
I had a number of photos from Dad. Some I have given to the club but upstairs there is an attache case somewhere with the remainder in. Mostly they are photos published in the Burnley Express. They appeared in the office window for about a week then Dad brought them home for me.