Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by Mala591 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:03 pm

If it is possible to keep people 2 metres apart then it should re-open on Monday. That would include most shops, garden centres, golf courses etc etc.

If we wait another 3, 6, 9 or 12 weeks, nothing significant will change in that time, so why wait?

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:54 pm
Why would it make any more difference for people living in towns or cities than you? They are just as free to break the current rules as you are.
I was thinking of people who live on the tenth floor of a tower block. At least after Monday they will be able to go out more than once without feeling guilty about it.

The 'once a day' rule is unenforceable anyway. What does it matter how many times you go out for a walk, as long as you obey the social distancing rules?
Last edited by lakedistrictclaret on Fri May 08, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Jakubclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6895 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm
I was thinking of people who live on the tenth floor of a tower block. At least after Monday they will be able to go out more than once without feeling guilty about it.

The 'once a day' rule is unenforceable anyway. What does it matter how many times you go out for a walk, as you as you obey the social distancing rules?
I didn’t say that it mattered, just that it’s the rule. I suppose it matters if everyone else also thinks that the rule doesn’t matter though.

I live in a fairly rural area yet I’ve tried to go on a run only on days where we haven’t planned a family walk.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:03 pm
If it is possible to keep people 2 metres apart then it should re-open on Monday. That would include most shops, garden centres, golf courses etc etc.

If we wait another 3, 6, 9 or 12 weeks, nothing significant will change in that time, so why wait?
Wales have announced that garden centres can open, Carnt see us being any different

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri May 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm
I didn’t say that it mattered, just that it’s the rule. I suppose it matters if everyone else also thinks that the rule doesn’t matter though.

I live in a fairly rural area yet I’ve tried to go on a run only on days where we haven’t planned a family walk.
There was a discussion a week or so ago where the police guidelines were published which stated they saw it as reasonable to exercise more than once
Wales have announced that they will allow more than one lot of exercise a day, but are defining local more strongly. We must be thinking along the same lines

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 pm
You have a weird view of life.

Go on, then, tell me who has been held responsible or charged or convicted after the Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, Al-Sweady, Hutton and Grenfell
Inquiries...............................and you seriously think this will be any different ? Moronic.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:41 am
I appreciate the comparison between country's data is problematic and my view is to focus on our own actions and what we have and have not done well (this in itself can be in context of what was going on in other countrys and how it informed us)

That said the debate goes on and the Govt themselves produce comparison graphs and the current narrative around the defense of our death rate is around how we more rigorously count and assign Covid as the reason for death where other countrys may (deliberately or innocently) hide the covid death figure behind other deaths

As a result I thought people on here might be interested in this piece of data analysis completed by the Economist which looks at excess mortality rates and what % the official Covid deaths make up of that overall number.

They have also added in some analysis around what share share of official deaths come from Care homes as one of the theory's behind the research is that a lot of the hidden unofficial Covid deaths are likely to linked to care home deaths

This in no way overcomes some of the issues with trying to compare one country with another but maybe it can be used as a warning shot that we may not be quite the leaders we see ourselves in counting deaths and when the final analysis happens after the event we might instead see that our stats are even bleaker than they seem at the moment

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status ... 2953219072

Anyway I'll leave it here for anyone who's interested but I will leave you to discuss amongst yourselves as the openness, intelligence and interest in fact over ideology of the debate on here is really poor for the political threads.

I will continue dip in and out and entertain myself with some of the rubbish spouted but I am finding there are much better platforms where ideas are discussed and argued with a desire to inform and educate as opposed to the unfounded tribal point scoring rhetoric I see on here
Hi DA, appreciate your data based post, as always. I'll see if I can take a look at the Economist. Do they discuss the different arrangements for reporting deaths? It looks odd that Germany only has data up to Apr 4th, while the others are up to Apr 19th to 24th. Lots to look at and learn from.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm
Go on, then, tell me who has been held responsible or charged or convicted after the Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, Al-Sweady, Hutton and Grenfell
Inquiries...............................and you seriously think this will be any different ? Moronic.
Absolutely no need to be rude
So which government minister should have been prosecuted for any of the above.... Grenfell is still ongoing so don't bother with that one.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:45 pm
Hi DA, appreciate your data based post, as always. I'll see if I can take a look at the Economist. Do they discuss the different arrangements for reporting deaths? It looks odd that Germany only has data up to Apr 4th, while the others are up to Apr 19th to 24th. Lots to look at and learn from.
Germanys data reporting has around a month lag across the board compared to most country's. They have looked to use the most up to date data available for all countys included. James Tozer is responsible for pulling together all the source data to help form the research and analysis

Im using Twitter where they discuss varying themes and break off into other discussions so yes they look well beyond the headline numbers hence my caveat that this doesn't solve all the problems about comparing across country's.

As well being a good way to try and attempt to understand what the real Covid death rates are it definitely does highlight that we should not be so confident that we are the ones assigning deaths to Covid most loosely

If you are interested in reading this with an open mind and looking to form opinions from the data and arguments laid out then it is definitely worth the effort.

If however it is just an exercise to try and discredit anything that doesn't support you predetermined view then if I was you Id look to do something a bit more worthwhile with your bank holiday

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 08, 2020 2:36 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm
UK scientists furious over attempt to censor Covid-19 advice
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... are_btn_tw

1985.jpg

Several SPI–B members told the Guardian that the redacted portions of the document contained criticisms they had made of potential government policies they had been formally asked to consider in late March and early April.

One SPI-B adviser said: “It is bloody silly, and completely counterproductive.” A second committee member said: “The impression I’m getting is this government doesn’t want any criticism.”
How dare you.
We are guided exclusively by the science.
As the inquiry of 2028 will show us.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan Taffy on the wing longsidepies

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 08, 2020 2:36 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Germanys data reporting has around a month lag across the board compared to most country's. They have looked to use the most up to date data available for all countys included. James Tozer is responsible for pulling together all the source data to help form the research and analysis

Im using Twitter where they discuss varying themes and break off into other discussions so yes they look well beyond the headline numbers hence my caveat that this doesn't solve all the problems about comparing across country's.

As well being a good way to try and attempt to understand what the real Covid death rates are it definitely does highlight that we should not be so confident that we are the ones assigning deaths to Covid most loosely

If you are interested in reading this with an open mind and looking to form opinions from the data and arguments laid out then it is definitely worth the effort.

If however it is just an exercise to try and discredit anything that doesn't support you predetermined view then if I was you Id look to do something a bit more worthwhile with your bank holiday
Thanks, DA. Yes, I'm an "open mind" person. I want to know more rather than prove what I already know is right and everything else is wrong. I'm equally sure that I have my own biases and preferences, just like everyone else. I was out earlier today for my "5 mile" walking exercise - and looking forward to when I can choose to go out a second time, depending on the weather. Yes, a glorious bank holiday, so far. I won't be rushing to read Economist, just yet. I might save it "for a rainy day." :)

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 pm

This trio need adding to the prick list :roll:

UK day-trip trio in coastal cliff rescue

Three people who travelled more than 100 miles (160km) in the UK for a day out sparked a major rescue operation after getting cut off by the tide.

The trio left Slough, west of London, to visit a coastal area near the southern town of Swanage, in a round trip of up to five hours

Lifeboats, a helicopter, ambulance and police were involved in the rescue of two of them from cliffs at Old Harry Rocks on Thursday evening.

The third person had swum to nearby Studland Bay to raise the alarm.

Swanage Coastguard said the apparent breach of lockdown restrictions was being dealt with by police.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Absolutely no need to be rude
So which government minister should have been prosecuted for any of the above.... Grenfell is still ongoing so don't bother with that one.

So my stuff being "weird" isn't rude but you being "moronic" is ? Aye, that sounds about right according to your distorted sense of logic. :roll:

Who said anything about a government minister ?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri May 08, 2020 3:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Three people who travelled more than 100 miles (160km) in the UK for a day out sparked a major rescue operation after getting cut off by the tide.

The trio left Slough, west of London, to visit a coastal area near the southern town of Swanage, in a round trip of up to five hours

Lifeboats, a helicopter, ambulance and police were involved in the rescue of two of them from cliffs at Old Harry Rocks on Thursday evening.

Swanage Coastguard said the apparent breach of lockdown restrictions was being dealt with by police.
Should've left the stupid *****.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:

Slap them with a £1000 fine each, minimum.

Rising to £10000 if they breach the rules again.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
So my stuff being "weird" isn't rude but you being "moronic" is ? Aye, that sounds about right according to your distorted sense of logic. :roll:

Who said anything about a government minister ?
Because the whole conversation was about holding the government to account

Saying someone has a weird view of life, is a little different to calling someone moronic, in my distorted logic anyway.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri May 08, 2020 3:37 pm

You said it, pal.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:32 pm
Should've left the stupid *****.
Funnily enough that's basically word for word what my dad said,they were fortunate one of them was able to swim to safety and get help,i appreciate people want to get outdoors in the unusually nice British weather,but seriously driving a 100m+,surely there's places closer to home where they can get their exercise.It's idiots like this,that'll make politicians reluctant to ease the lockdown restrictions,and then we'll all have to endure this for longer.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri May 08, 2020 4:07 pm

taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:17 am
You have referred to Exercise Cygnus several times on here to heavily criticise the UK's response to the pandemic. Given your interest in it, you have posted a link to the report and so have presumably read it, what do you feel are the key lessons learned and recommendations made from that exercise that have been ignored during the Covid-19 pandemic?
The government have refused to release it. I wonder why?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 4:13 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:07 pm
The government have refused to release it. I wonder why?
Ok so you don't know.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

The Gaurdian appear to have released a leaked copy of the Cygnus report yesterday.

I haven't looked at the discussion so not seen anything counter the validity but below is a link to the article that contains the leaked info plus a link to the Twitter thread that shared the exclusive story

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rus-crisis

https://twitter.com/PaulLewis/status/12 ... 6245583872

taio

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm
The Gaurdian appear to have released a leaked copy of the Cygnus report yesterday.

I haven't looked at the discussion so not seen anything counter the validity but below is a link to the article that contains the leaked info plus a link to the Twitter thread that shared the exclusive story

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rus-crisis

https://twitter.com/PaulLewis/status/12 ... 6245583872
Given some of the views expressed prior to the leak one would have thought there were many major lessons learned that have been ignored. I don't believe so and I'm sure the media would have been all over it had that been the case but it seems to be a damp squib.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm

taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm
Given some of the views expressed prior to the leak one would have thought there were many major lessons learned that have been ignored. I don't believe so and I'm sure the media would have been all over it had that been the case but it seems to be a damp squib.
Have you read it and/or looked at all the discussions online about it?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm

It's utterly shocking the way we are handling this.

"Britain criticised around the world for 'complacent' and 'calamitous' coronavirus response".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... h03dZy5aBM

taio

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm
Have you read it and/or looked at all the discussions online about it?
I've read it. You can download it. So I now have a copy.

Edit: but haven't looked at the discussions online.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm

taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm
I don't believe so and I'm sure the media would have been all over it had that been the case but it seems to be a damp squib.
taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm
Edit: but haven't looked at the discussions online.
taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:13 pm
Ok so you don't know.
You were having a discussion so I have shared the info with you as you both seemed under the wrong impression it was not available

I have not taken a position because it not only needs to be read but it needs to be analysed alongside what we did and didnt do around its findings and recommendations. This will develop over time

In the space of 5/10 mins you completely flipped your approach to the conversation which would be quite amusing if it wasn't so tragic.

Anyhow the report is there for Andrew to read and im sure they'll be plenty more to come out over the next few days. I'll reserve my view on whether it is damning or a damp squid until I know more about it

taio

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 4:51 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm
You were having a discussion so I have shared the info with you as you both seemed under the wrong impression it was not available

I have not taken a position because it not only needs to be read but it needs to be analysed alongside what we did and didnt do around its findings and recommendations. This will develop over time

In the space of 5/10 mins you completely flipped your approach to the conversation which would be quite amusing if it wasn't so tragic.

Anyhow the report is there for Andrew to read and im sure they'll be plenty more to come out over the next few days. I'll reserve my view on whether it is damning or a damp squid until I know more about it
We both knew it had been leaked. You have lost me about flipping my approach and it being so tragic - sounds like you're looking for an argument when I haven't said anything controversial to you. It certainly won't be a damp squid whatever that means in this context.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 305 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Fri May 08, 2020 5:08 pm

We don't seem to be impressing the rest of the world.

BJ: " we have avoided the tragedy that has engulfed parts of the world"

other parts of the World:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... are_btn_tw

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Squid/squib very drole

I wasn't looking for an argument,I was just trying to be helpful and point to the info being discussed. It was you that started telling me what was what.

As for you flipping your approach then;
  • Andrew makes assumptions that because people who work in the health and political sectors who have seen details of the report have made claims govt didnt follow advice and because the govt has gone to lengths to keep it hidden then the report is damning
  • Your response amounts to as you havent read it you dont know
  • Then almost within the same breath you make an assumption that because the media haven't gone crazy about it within 24hrs of it being leaked on VE day then it must be a damp squib
  • You then admit that you havn't even looked at any of the discussions about it of which there are plenty online
Looks like and impressive 180 to me. Anyhow im not interested in arguing and my intention was only to share the info

taio

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 pm
Squid/squib very drole

I wasn't looking for an argument,I was just trying to be helpful and point to the info being discussed. It was you that started telling me what was what.

As for you flipping your approach then;
  • Andrew makes assumptions that because people who work in the health and political sectors who have seen details of the report have made claims govt didnt follow advice and because the govt has gone to lengths to keep it hidden then the report is damning
  • Your response amounts to as you havent read it you dont know
  • Then almost within the same breath you make an assumption that because the media haven't gone crazy about it within 24hrs of it being leaked on VE day then it must be a damp squib
  • You then admit that you havn't even looked at any of the discussions about it of which there are plenty online
Looks like and impressive 180 to me. Anyhow im not interested in arguing and my intention was only to share the info
- I was giving you my conclusion in a non-confrontational fashion - I've no idea why you thought otherwise.
- Andrew has repeatedly referred to the exercise being ignored.
- I never said I hadn't read it - I asked Andrew for his view since he has on multiple occasions refereed to the exercise as a way to criticise the UK's response.
- I don't have to rely on online discussions to form a view and my own conclusions - you should read it if you're that bothered rather than waiting to piggy back onto other people's views.
- The damp squib reference is not just down to lack of media coverage - it's because, as above, I've read it and formed my own view.

Squib/squid - amusing

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 08, 2020 6:15 pm

taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm
- I was giving you my conclusion in a non-confrontational fashion - I've no idea why you thought otherwise.
I didn't think you were being confrontational and haven't suggested it. You were the one who talked about people looking for an argument
taio wrote:
you should read it if you're that bothered rather than waiting to piggy back onto other people's views.
Squib/squid - amusing
I will read it in my own time and I didn't piggy back onto anyone's views. My post was completely neutral and I was just sharing info that was being discussed. Andrew said the report hadn't been released so he couldn't read it and as you didn't correct him so it was fair for me to assume neither of you had seen it. My intentions were good and to be helpful but you somehow seem to have read that somewhat differently
taio wrote:
- I don't have to rely on online discussions to form a view and my own conclusions
This is where we differ. I will read things and can and will form my own conclusions but I also opening to challenging my limited knowledge by reading and listening to what other people think. I find this is a good humanist approach to knowledge and life in general. If you are happy to 100% back you own understanding and conclusions then as said its just an area we obviously differ on but yours seems a much more closed approach and not as productive

Just for reference I am not referring to online forums like this but more platforms like Twitter where you can get a whole host of political, academic, media and field experts from a diverse spectrum of backgrounds with a wide range of conflicting political views discussing topics in detail together

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Companies are missing a trick by not giving out free face masks with their logo on it.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri May 08, 2020 8:10 pm

When we keep getting 4,000 new cases a day I don’t see how we can be or should be remotely close to easing lockdown. Meanwhile some idiot near me has decided to have an outdoor party in clear breach of all the rules. A real shame for the many who are doing everything they’ve been asked to.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky tiger76

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Fri May 08, 2020 8:18 pm

when they keep comparing deaths and worse than the Biltz it's worth remember a few things to keep in perspective:
Attachments
Blitz.JPG
Blitz.JPG (44.01 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Blitz=2.JPG
Blitz=2.JPG (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Blitz3.JPG
Blitz3.JPG (45.34 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri May 08, 2020 8:39 pm

I'll just go and put some Vera Lynn on....and have a cuppa.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 pm

taio wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:13 pm
Ok so you don't know.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... id-it-find

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm

I’ve said before that it seems as though the government is more concerned about how they’re perceived than dealing with the virus effectively. Things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -19-advice

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:44 pm

Just had a quick scan of that and a couple of things I want to point out.

It took WHO 2 months to declare it a Pandemic from when they were first told.
France have done some checking and it would appear their first case was actually back in December, someone who hadn't been abroad etc.
At the time it was assumed it was flu.

Yes there have been failings in the actions of the government, but the Cygnus exercise was about a relatively predictable flu pandemic for which a vaccine would either be available or easier to make and where things were done in a certain manner.

This has been a mess from the very start from China trying to bury it, to WHO failing to act independently right over to Europe as a whole failing to close its borders properly and fast enough.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 pm

Always the victim, it’s never our fault.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri May 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 pm
Always the victim, it’s never our fault.
You're correct, it isn't our fault.

It's our fault that this tiny over populated island has told the truth about deaths.

This tiny island where immigrants are still pouring in and the many many bellends that already live here.

It's not my fault, I know that.

taio

Post by taio » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm

That article is weak. One would think they'd pursue the story and supposed significant failures aggressively given they leaked the report. Reaffirms my original view about it being a damp squib.

in terms of the major issues during this pandemic:

- PPE - nothing of significance ignored
- Testing - nothing of significance ignored
- Timing of social distancing/lockdown - nothing of significance ignored
- Ventilators - can't recall anything of significance ignored but the UK has plenty anyway
- Capacity of health and care - plenty of recommendations and many implemented but capacity has been good anyway.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat May 09, 2020 6:57 am

There is a very good article in the guardian about how deaths are counted in the various regions.
Makes it very clear how it’s done.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... k-11985137

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:57 am
There is a very good article in the guardian about how deaths are counted in the various regions.
Makes it very clear how it’s done.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... k-11985137
2 things I conclude from that - each nation is cutting corners, but each nation cuts a different corner and if that's what the UK is like god knows what the rest of the world is like!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am

Mala591 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Agree completely. Things like golf and fishing could easily be opened up now. Keeping them shut is just making people/businesses suffer for no good reason.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat May 09, 2020 8:23 am

Bangers&Mash wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 am
2 things I conclude from that - each nation is cutting corners, but each nation cuts a different corner and if that's what the UK is like god knows what the rest of the world is like!
Yes it’s a strange set up. Wales being the only one not counting deaths outside of hospitals and Care homes.
I agree if that’s how different we do it, who knows what’s being done in other countries.

I saw a report about India yesterday and it showed dead bodies in bags next to patients being treated as the morgue could not cope, yet the stats for India are fairly low.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 am

Guess I'm genuinely struggling a bit here...not sure if one of the brainier types on here can help?

From what I can see Covid 19 is absolutely rife in the UK, if from testing 100k folk a day they're getting circa 6k positives?

Given that the incubation period for the virus is around 14 days, and we've been in ""lockdown"" for nearly 50 days doesnt that suggest that ""lockdown"" is pretty inneffective/ pointless ?

It just seems a bit daft that I'm told I cant wander down to the shore on an offshore i
island with no cases, and go fishing in my kayak, alone, whilst thousands of people wander into the country relatively unchecked.

Genuine post...its all a bit beyond me.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat May 09, 2020 8:37 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am
Agree completely. Things like golf and fishing could easily be opened up now. Keeping them shut is just making people/businesses suffer for no good reason.
There are certainly some activities that could start. I spoke to a golfer yesterday who’s club have released the measures they will put in place. Things like strict arrival 10 minutes before tee off. No removing of the flags whilst putting and they were working on how to remove balls from the hole without touching it.

Fishing is mainly a solo activity, cannot see any reason why that cannot re start.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:34 am
Guess I'm genuinely struggling a bit here...not sure if one of the brainier types on here can help?

From what I can see Covid 19 is absolutely rife in the UK, if from testing 100k folk a day they're getting circa 6k positives?

Given that the incubation period for the virus is around 14 days, and we've been in ""lockdown"" for nearly 50 days doesnt that suggest that ""lockdown"" is pretty inneffective/ pointless ?

It just seems a bit daft that I'm told I cant wander down to the shore on an offshore i
island with no cases, and go fishing in my kayak, alone, whilst thousands of people wander into the country relatively unchecked.

Genuine post...its all a bit beyond me.

We have been under a light lockdown when you compare us to other countries. I would suggest that’s why our cases per day are not dropping. We are now testing a lot more people per day but now that’s up to the high amounts it is the numbers are more meaningful in my opinion.

I suggest the reasons we are not allowed to go fish in a remote location are. If you get into difficulty it needs lots of people to come rescue you, as per the three idiots yesterday. Another is that suddenly lots of people who are not working would take up those sports and that remote breach would suddenly be packed with fisherpeople.

Just as at the beginning of this everyone suddenly went to the countryside.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sat May 09, 2020 8:56 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 am
We have been under a light lockdown when you compare us to other countries. I would suggest that’s why our cases per day are not dropping. We are now testing a lot more people per day but now that’s up to the high amounts it is the numbers are more meaningful in my opinion.

I suggest the reasons we are not allowed to go fish in a remote location are. If you get into difficulty it needs lots of people to come rescue you, as per the three idiots yesterday. Another is that suddenly lots of people who are not working would take up those sports and that remote breach would suddenly be packed with fisherpeople.

More cases, obviously with more testing. To keep it balanced there are more negative tests as well!!
The big plus, even with all these extra cases admissions for Covid are down 18% in the past week
Sorry to be a bit positive this early in the day.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 am

Germany have been less strict in terms of a lock down than us.