Joe Hart: 'All I want is to be a big part of a club ... hope burns through me'

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Joe Hart: 'All I want is to be a big part of a club ... hope burns through me'

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 24, 2020 9:27 pm

in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... through-me

it focuses on Mental Health rather than the club
This user liked this post: Zlatan

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Re: Joe Hart: 'All I want is to be a big part of a club ... hope burns through me'

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 pm

"mental health"?

A bit like the whining Keane story earlier. Can you NOT be a footballer these days without going down the trendy route of "i've had 'mental health' problems".

Being a bit upset at work isn't a "mental health" issue and is just watering down genuine ones.

And before anyone slags me off, how many of you had a go at Bamford for crying in his car?
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 Elizabeth

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Joe Hart: 'All I want is to be a big part of a club ... hope burns through me'

Post by Dyched » Sun May 24, 2020 10:50 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 pm
"mental health"?

A bit like the whining Keane story earlier. Can you NOT be a footballer these days without going down the trendy route of "i've had 'mental health' problems".

Being a bit upset at work isn't a "mental health" issue and is just watering down genuine ones.

And before anyone slags me off, how many of you had a go at Bamford for crying in his car?
It’s actually rather refreshing having footballers speakimg about certain issues. I know men speaking about problems isn’t really allowed especially those playing in the “manly” game of football.

Are you one of those that thinks people with money can’t have mental health problems?

You only have to look at his performances since Guardiola took over at City to see what that did for his confidence on the football pitch. I get the feeling he was a major player for them in terms of character in and around the club. He’s moved about a bit since. Never found a proper club to call home. Lost his place in the national team during that time too.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm

Really good article that, he's a sound lad is Joe. Got his hard screwed on.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm

So he’s off then?

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Who knows what goes on inside someone's head and how serious their problems are? I believe Clarke Carlisle's issues started from worrying about loss of form leading to drinking, severe depression and suicide attempts. Perhaps if he were playing now it could have been dealt with better.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 pm
Got his hard screwed on.
I'm going with predictive text, and not... hard on and screwed.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun May 24, 2020 11:28 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
"mental health"?

And the award for most ignorant post of the week goes to...

:(
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
"mental health"?

That couldn’t be more wrong. And the more high profile ‘alpha males’ come out the better. Because I’m doing so it makes it easier for other men to open up about demons.

Dennis Rodman said of his issues he faced that he would play basketball for free. But he took all the millions because they paid for the bullshit and pressure he had to put up with as a World famous basketball player. And that sums it up perfectly.

Your post is part of the bullshit and pressure all high profile stars put up with.

Like all illnesses it’s indiscriminate.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon May 25, 2020 12:10 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 pm

It isn't an illness is this context. There's a difference between mental illness and being down and depressed through life experiences.

If anyone hasn't been down and depressed at some stage in their life, then they have been very lucky and probably not human.
These 2 users liked this post: tarkys_ears Elizabeth

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 pm
That couldn’t be more wrong. And the more high profile ‘alpha males’ come out the better. Because I’m doing so it makes it easier for other men to open up about demons.

Dennis Rodman said of his issues he faced that he would play basketball for free. But he took all the millions because they paid for the bullshit and pressure he had to put up with as a World famous basketball player. And that sums it up perfectly.

Your post is part of the bullshit and pressure all high profile stars put up with.

It's not. It's being a bit ****** off, something most people deal with every day for weeks or months on end. It's not "mental illness"

Sorry it's not as trendy a view as your cuddly approach to everyone with "problems" though.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon May 25, 2020 12:25 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am
It's not. It's being a bit ****** off, something most people deal with every day for weeks or months on end. It's not "mental illness"

Sorry it's not as trendy a view as your cuddly approach to everyone with "problems" though.
I tend to agree with some of what you say. We all have difficult experiences which make us feel very down for a time. Not every case is a mental illness. It's important that people can learn to be resilient enough to deal with this.

But being aware and sensitive to those people should not be mocked as simply being 'trendy' or 'cuddly' though. If everyone just said "well it's not a real mental illness get over it" it very soon might be.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
"mental health"?

I'm sure your mental health would be effected knowing there's probably people out who you've never met and who know nothing about you but will happily take to the internet to insult and pass judgement on you.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 am

It's interesting, isn't it, that if Joe Hart said he had a sore shoulder or a thigh strain it'd just be the normal business of football, but when the problem is with his mental rather than physical health some men feel the need to try and dispute it?

chadders
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by chadders » Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am

Good article. 1 in 4 folk will suffer from a mental health problem each year. So it is likely to affect a couple of the 'softer trendy' footballers in that case. Somebody ought to tell him to 'pull himself together' Shine a light.

I think unless you've struggled or witnessed someone with mental health problems you can not really understand or appreciate how absolutely devastating and debilitating it can be. It comes in various sneaky nasty guises and sometimes without warning.

Perhaps just wish someone well and have respect?

'Without mental health there can be no true physical health' Dr Brock Chisholm.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 pm

I wonder if we'll start to see BPF on the bench for the last few games on the season to start his transition in?

Would be a bit of a morale booster for him after not getting a look in all season (even if this was his development route when he signed).

I think Hart would benefit from a move abroad. It wouldn't surprise me to see him join Man City's club in the MLS. He's obviously still, rightly, well thought of there if they've named a pitch after him. It allows Hart the chance to get out of the media spotlight over here at least as they are desperate to pounce on any mistake he makes plus I can't see any 'big' european club taking him on having not played for 18 months.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
"mental health"?

I'm not too sure that 'crying in his car' constitutes a mental health problem.
Your reference to mental health problems being 'trendy' requires a tad more explanation especially for people living with mental health problems.
Finally you use the wrong tense re; mental health problems. 'Had' implies the past but anyone suffering with mental health problems will tell you that it is always in the present and probably the future. It certainly doesn't become a distant memory.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm

Having seen the way this thread has developed I regret creating it - shame I thought it would be of interest :(

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon May 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm
Having seen the way this thread has developed I regret creating it - shame I thought it would be of interest :(
Indeed Chester Perry, Many threads seem to go this way. The Ken Bruce thread next ?

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 pm

I just hope he finds a 1st keeper position at a club - wherever it is. It didn't go all that well with him for us but he is a quality goalkeeper and he joined us at a difficult time for the club as a whole.

I don't like seeing first class players on the bench. Best of luck Joe. I hope all turns out well for you.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho Im_not_Robbie_Blake ten bellies