ARTICLE: Ten Memorable Burnley Goals

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

ARTICLE: Ten Memorable Burnley Goals

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 26, 2020 2:07 pm

This week's article from rodleydave / davet

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/ten-memora ... nley-goals
This user liked this post: Cajun

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Re: ARTICLE: Ten Memorable Burnley Goals

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Cheers, Dave. No denying they were all memorable.
My Dad was on St. James for Tommy Cummings goal and I was with him mid-60s when Stan Anderson, according to Dad, scored an almost identical goal to beat us 3-2. The match they kicked Gordon Harris black & blue.
Harry Potts did not throw the ball back to where the fk was given. It was exactly on the spot. The video is around for all to see. Handy bit of time wasting though.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm

I can only comment on the last 6 goals davet has listed.

I'd add to the list Joey Gudjonsson's goal against PNE, when from what looked to by 30yrds out he hit the ball so high it looked like it would clear the CFS, only for it to drop over the keepers head and under the bar.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 26, 2020 3:07 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm
My Dad was on St. James for Tommy Cummings goal and I was with him mid-60s when Stan Anderson, according to Dad, scored an almost identical goal to beat us 3-2. The match they kicked Gordon Harris black & blue.
Harry Potts did not throw the ball back to where the fk was given. It was exactly on the spot. The video is around for all to see. Handy bit of time wasting though.
The Cummings goal was on the Turf - we won 2-0 and was our first league game after my birth.

Bob Lord had something to say about the over physical Newcastle team, see link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/elephants- ... -newcastle
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 pm
I can only comment on the last 6 goals davet has listed.

I'd add to the list Joey Gudjonsson's goal against PNE, when from what looked to by 30yrds out he hit the ball so high it looked like it would clear the CFS, only for it to drop over the keepers head and under the bar.
That one was a stunner from Joey - he really could strike a ball

A lot of goals I could add, some from Jeff Hendrick, a couple from Barnes, Steven Defour's in the cup v Bristol City and any number of goals scored by Robbie Blake.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Those could be considered “most important” goals as well. Micky Mellon v Blackpool sticks I my mind as does IWWW at the Turf (against Notts County?).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm
Those could be considered “most important” goals as well. Micky Mellon v Blackpool sticks I my mind as does IWWW at the Turf (against Notts County?).
Mellon's celebration definitely made it special - and IWWW's was sheer class.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:08 pm
That one was a stunner from Joey - he really could strike a ball
I always hoped (or anticipated) that he would score more!

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Tue May 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Speaking of Mellon, the one at Scunthorpe was a cracker though overlooked understandably by Little's at the other end

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 26, 2020 3:21 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:15 pm
Speaking of Mellon, the one at Scunthorpe was a cracker though overlooked understandably by Little's at the other end
It is - just like Pilky's goal in the title win at Man City and Neil Grewcock's v Orient, or even David Eyres in the play off win v Stockport.

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm
The goal from Tommy Cummings was not scored at St. James Park but at the Turf. My father was chief photographer for the Burnley Express but was a Geordie from Newcastle. He always supported Burnley EXCEPT when they played Newcastle. However, he always maintained that Tommy’s goal was the best he had ever seen
and he had the photograph to prove it. I have a black and white print of the photo but it doesn’t show Tommy - he was so far out! Ronnie Simpson the Newcastle keeper is in mid air but nowhere near the ball as it thundered past him. I wasn’t at the game myself as I was too young for a big match like that one but I trust my dad’s judgement on the greatest post war goal scored at Turf Moor.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue May 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Any list like this should include Robbie Blake’s goal against Man United at the Turf in 2009 in my opinion. Never heard a sound like it the split second the goal hit the back of the net, it felt like the end of 34 years of hurt and that Burnley were finally back. A real landmark goal for me.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

Some memorable goals there for a lot of differing reasons. Two I would like to add I suppose cover the spectrum of my time watching the Clarets. The first was scored by Mr Burnley, Brian Miller in the early 60's in a 4-1 win against Sheff Utd. It was a goal to nothing, a long range shot that flew passed Alan Hodgkinson. I was seated in the main stand and from memory (I know its fading) but it was towards the Cricket Field Stand. I wish there was footage but alas I've never seen. Secondly, for pure personal reasons, Michael Keane's equaliser against Middlesbrough in 2016. Not the most beautiful goal, but immensely important nevertheless. The reason why its memorable is because my son and grandchildren had flown over from Laos for the game.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue May 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Frenchclaret wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm
The goal from Tommy Cummings was not scored at St. James Park but at the Turf. My father was chief photographer for the Burnley Express but was a Geordie from Newcastle. He always supported Burnley EXCEPT when they played Newcastle. However, he always maintained that Tommy’s goal was the best he had ever seen
and he had the photograph to prove it. I have a black and white print of the photo but it doesn’t show Tommy - he was so far out! Ronnie Simpson the Newcastle keeper is in mid air but nowhere near the ball as it thundered past him. I wasn’t at the game myself as I was too young for a big match like that one but I trust my dad’s judgement on the greatest post war goal scored at Turf Moor.
I’m sure there was a copy of that picture and a brief report framed and hanging on the wall at the Turf

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:02 pm
I’m sure there was a copy of that picture and a brief report framed and hanging on the wall at the Turf
Indeed there was, Burnley Ace, in fact it might still be there.

It's a limited edition print of Tommy's wonder goal with just 100 in total. I consider myself very fortunate to own No.38 of 100. Underneath the photo by Frenchclaret's father are some descriptive words of the goal from Granville Shackleton and also from Tommy Cummings himself.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace Frenchclaret

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Tue May 26, 2020 6:48 pm

A few that stand out in my memory that I have seen in person…
= Waldron at Preston 73 – already up, his long-range volley made us Champions on a wonderful day at Deepdale.
= Casper vs Chelsea 73 – (see scrapbook photo below), midweek match after winning the opening game at Sheff Utd back in the top flight, Chelsea big and strong, getting near the end my dad had just said “ I don’t think we’re going to be able to get one”. Then Casp smashed home a stunning left foot shot on the turn that Peter Bonetti after he retired described as one of the best goals to have been scored against him.
= Uwe vs Newcastle 74 – (see scrapbook photo below). Awesome goal in a 4-1 win as we got the previous season’s woes with Newcastle out of our system. Sweeping move, Brennan gallops down the Longside touchline, belts over a rocket cross that Uwe meets with a bullet-like diving header from around the penalty spot.
= Grewcock vs Orient 87. Superb goal when we needed it.
Francis at York 92. And we are going up as Champions and on our way back up the leagues. Celebrated madly on the terraces then on the pitch at the end.
= Eyres at Wembley 94 - A first Burnley goal at Wembley for me!
= Elliott at Wembley 09. Just brilliant and deserving of bringing us a sensational promotion.
---- Oh and special mention for my best comedy goal – Fletch vs Man City in 3-0 win in September 73. (see scrapbook photo below). Calamity Corrigan about to take a kick out of his hands at edge of area, Fletch stands in front of him as they could do then, Corrigan attempts to dummy him, loses grip on ball, fails to catch it again while giving impression of man in shower with bar of soap, Fletch just gets toe on the ball which rolls towards net with just enough pace to get over the line before Joe can get back to stop it.
Fave3.jpg
Fave3.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Fave1.jpg
Fave1.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Fave2.jpg
Fave2.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 pm
Indeed there was, Burnley Ace, in fact it might still be there.

It's a limited edition print of Tommy's wonder goal with just 100 in total. I consider myself very fortunate to own No.38 of 100. Underneath the photo by Frenchclaret's father are some descriptive words of the goal from Granville Shackleton and also from Tommy Cummings himself.
When I worked at the Turf mid 90s i think that photo and commentary were in the 100 Club. My Dad used to drink in the Shooters when Tommy was landlord and he asked him about that goal. Tommy said he ran with the ball and just kept going as there was no one to pass to. When he got within sight of the goal, he hit it because he didn't know what else to do.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 pm

The Cummings goal. There is a very slim paperback by Peter Fyles called Burnley's Greatest Goal. Published 1999. At that point Peter was a teacher in Stockholm. The book is the thesis he wrote whilst doing his teacher training.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:09 pm

David Edgar scored a very important goal, though not necessarily memorable, for us v Cardiff at home near the end of 2012/13 season. Got us a 1-1 draw in the last minute and just offered us a little bit of breathing space as we struggled to avoid relegation. Often overlooked,understandably, when we look at our progress in the last few years under Sean Dyche.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm

That game at Wolves is one of the best performances I have ever seen from Burnley. Apart from kicking off three times they hardly got a touch. We didn't seem to bothered about scoring we were just happy to play keep ball all afternoon.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

kindonesque
Been Liked: 118 times

Post by kindonesque » Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Re the Leeds match at Elland Road and Fletcher's overhead. I was at the match and I still think Doug Collins' sublime chip to beat David Harvey was as good as Fletch's effort, but it rarely gets a mention
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous