Baden Powell to be ging gang goolied

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Baden Powell to be ging gang goolied

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm

This has to stop now. It's getting ridiculous. There will be no statues left if we are going to teardown every statue that is tainted with imperialism, cotton trade etc. Some people are even talking about getting rid of a Harold Wilson statue because of a 1960s arm trade deal. Bonkers. This is a witch hunt and it has to stop.

The Baden Powell statue should stay where it is and all the others should too. They are part of our history, the good and the bad, so to speak, so leave them there for future generations to learn from.
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:15 pm
You guys are doing a pretty good job.
Genuine question what percentage of the UK population do you think actually agree with all this bollax.

I'd be surprised if it was over 20% from talking to everybody I have met this week.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm

And another thing. Those pro-statue/anti-statue demonstrators should stay at home and stop spreading the virus. If you give a toss about our NHS workers and care workers etc - then stay at home. We're in the middle of a pandemic and more lives and jobs will be lost the longer it goes on. This shouldn't need spelling out to people, but I really believe the country has gone mad.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs. ... 393543.amp

Wonder if peel tower will follow. I'm starting to resent BLM more by the hour. Nobody has been offended or give two feks about these memorials and all of a sudden they have to go and they are deeply offensive.

Please please do not pander to this lunacy UK councils and government.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:37 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 pm
Genuine question what percentage of the UK population do you think actually agree with all this bollax.

I'd be surprised if it was over 20% from talking to everybody I have met this week.
I really have no idea. I don’t use other forms of social media, and when you do you are fed what you want to eat.

What I do know is that you and a number of other posters jumped on the first opportunity to oppose this movement. The George Floyd thread was a pretty quiet affair until the protests began. You can pretend that you care more about the vandalism or violence and the removal of statues of people you’ve never heard of. But why not just be honest with yourselves and the rest of us?

Over the past week or so this messageboard has shown me exactly why what is happening, is happening. I know you probably think people throw around the word racist too loosely but whilst the actual straight out racist posts on this messageboard are few and far between, there is undeniably a underlying element of racism on this board. I’ll give some posters the benefit of the doubt and suggest that it is a subconscious racism, but it still exists.

Cue all the libtard, lefty, snowflake comments from others - I don’t really care. The fact is that there are a lot of posters who only ever contribute to these threads when someone of a different race is at fault. The desperation of some people to portray white people as victims in all this tells me just one thing.

Anyway, a long answer and I’ve strayed way off the point, but I’ve been working most of the day and have just sat down so decided to vent. I don’t mean to aim this post solely at you by the way.
These 2 users liked this post: Swizzlestick Greenmile

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm
Are we going to have to start this all again?

Find one dictionary that defines “bimbo” as being exclusive to white women

Find one synopsis of Legally Blonde that refers to the race of her character

Can you not accept that choosing Legally Blonde was a poor example - there is no racist slur (humorous or not) in the film Legally Blond.

You don’t have to fight every time someone points out that you may be genuinely mistaken.
Who's fighting?

Can you not accept that 2 people can see the same film and draw different conclusions from it.

The conclusion I drew from it that the equivalent of being "too blonde" with its racial connotations plus, not being "smart enough" would unlikely to , if ever, be applied to a BAME actress. It's as if the role, playing into the trope of the "dumb blonde" character, never existed.

You may disagree. That's absolutely fine.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm
This has to stop now. It's getting ridiculous. There will be no statues left if we are going to teardown every statue that is tainted with imperialism, cotton trade etc. Some people are even talking about getting rid of a Harold Wilson statue because of a 1960s arm trade deal. Bonkers. This is a witch hunt and it has to stop.

The Baden Powell statue should stay where it is and all the others should too. They are part of our history, the good and the bad, so to speak, so leave them there for future generations to learn from.
I haven't heard the Harold Wilson story, but i'll take your word for it, i can see a justification in some of the slave traders being removed, and transported to a museum, and a historical context given to their legacies, but it's becoming farcical now with the hysteria being whipped up.

If we're going to discuss former Labour PM'S and dodgy dealing Anthony Charles Lynton Blair would be a contender for top billing.

I completely agree about educating the current generation, and future generations about the actions of our ancestors, however uncomfortable that maybe, that's the nub of the issue for me, a lot of the names that have been mentioned in the media over the last week, i haven't heard of, or know little about.

So if anything constructive comes out of this hopefully it'll be a more educated society. If people know more about a lot of these historic figures, and their debatable past, then possibly opinions might change, but you have to win hearts and minds with cold hard facts not emotions.
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour Damo

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 pm

It's that noisy minority again.

Its dawned on the far left that they cant achieve power by the ballot box. They're increasingly using mob handed violence to try to force their twisted and let's be honest, Marxist anti capitalist politics from the early 1900's , on the majority.

Extinction rebellion is another wing of this year zero mob.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:46 pm
It's that noisy minority again.

Its dawned on the far left that they cant achieve power by the ballot box. They're increasingly using mob handed violence to try to force their twisted and let's be honest, Marxist anti capitalist politics from the early 1900's , on the majority.

Extinction rebellion is another wing of this year zero mob.
At least you've admitted black people are just causing trouble and racism towards is just one big lie!

Stephen Lawrence - what a troublemaker!
Last edited by Spijed on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:37 pm
I really have no idea. I don’t use other forms of social media, and when you do you are fed what you want to eat.
I've asked most people I have met at various sites and stores this week. Nobody supported it.

What I do know is that you and a number of other posters jumped on the first opportunity to oppose this movement. The George Floyd thread was a pretty quiet affair until the protests began. You can pretend that you care more about the vandalism or violence and the removal of statues of people you’ve never heard of. But why not just be honest with yourselves and the rest of us?
I agree the murder of George Floyd was disgraceful but nobody has even shown me it was 100% racially motivated and nobody apart from pchyco cop knows the answer.

Over the past week or so this messageboard has shown me exactly why what is happening, is happening. I know you probably think people throw around the word racist too loosely but whilst the actual straight out racist posts on this messageboard are few and far between, there is undeniably a underlying element of racism on this board. I’ll give some posters the benefit of the doubt and suggest that it is a subconscious racism, but it still exists.
All this BLM is causing a lot of resentment at a stressful time especially the scenes on Sunday at the protests.

Cue all the libtard, lefty, snowflake comments from others - I don’t really care. The fact is that there are a lot of posters who only ever contribute to these threads when someone of a different race is at fault. The desperation of some people to portray white people as victims in all this tells me just one thing.
The only victims in this will be the black community in the long term as it is isolating them from the majority of the population and causing people who are not racist to resent the whole exaggerated fuss and chaos.

Anyway, a long answer and I’ve strayed way off the point, but I’ve been working most of the day and have just sat down so decided to vent. I don’t mean to aim this post solely at you by the way.

I don't mind if it is at me or not. This BLM is going to fuel racism and racist groups that had all but died out and long term I think it will be more detrimental than benificial for unity in Britain. After Brexit we don't need the country tearing itself up even more.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm
And another thing. Those pro-statue/anti-statue demonstrators should stay at home and stop spreading the virus. If you give a toss about our NHS workers and care workers etc - then stay at home. We're in the middle of a pandemic and more lives and jobs will be lost the longer it goes on. This shouldn't need spelling out to people, but I really believe the country has gone mad.
This i agree with, on the evening news it showed a couple of pro-statue demonstrators at the Baden-Powell statue, who had travelled all the way from Wales to Dorset that's mental in the supposed current lockdown climate.

There is a valid rational discussion to be had over the future of these statues, but in the middle of a global pandemic is not the time.

As often with this events, most people are indifferent, and it's the minorities on both sides of the fence who make the most noise.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:57 pm
I’m amazed that some people can’t differentiate between a prominent statue in a public place celebrating somebody’s life and a historical building such as The Colosseum, or the remains of a concentration camp which is now a museum. You must be really really dim.
This post is dim.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't mind if it is at me or not. This BLM is going to fuel racism and racist groups that had all but died out and long term I think it will be more detrimental than benificial for unity in Britain. After Brexit we don't need the country tearing itself up even more.
You may be right, who knows. What it’s definitely doing is raising awareness within corporations and institutions. If that gives some knucklehead racists fuel then so be it. The goal is to eradicate the racism, not keep the racists quiet.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:58 pm
This post is dim.
Can you please explain why?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 pm
At least you've admitted black people are just causing trouble and racism towards is just one big lie!

Stephen Lawrence - what a troublemaker!
My post was in reference to those hell bent on tearing down statues who , from what I've read, seen and heard, are probably mostly white and probably middle class. That's the "noisy minority " I was referring to. I made no reference whatsoever to the colour of anyone's skin.

Do not try to wilfully misconstrued and misrepresent what I'm clearly saying. If that's ok with you.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:16 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Do not try to wilfully misconstrued and misrepresent what I'm clearly saying. If that's ok with you.
Well you do it to everyone else!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:58 pm
This post is dim.
Thought you’d struggle.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm
My post was in reference to those hell bent on tearing down statues who , from what I've read, seen and heard, are probably mostly white and probably middle class. That's the "noisy minority " I was referring to. I made no reference whatsoever to the colour of anyone's skin.

You may have a point Ringo, a couple of interesting articles in the Telegraph that back up your opinion.

And these might be the start of a pushback.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... majority/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... niter-rhr
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 pm

If you watched Peston last night you would have seen the opinion survey on removing statues. Once again there was a clear view that it was not the thing to do. The silent majority in this country again do not support far left wing anti democratic politics. They never will. Stamer knows this and if you don't want a Tory government that is good news.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:39 pm
Who's fighting?

Can you not accept that 2 people can see the same film and draw different conclusions from it.

The conclusion I drew from it that the equivalent of being "too blonde" with its racial connotations plus, not being "smart enough" would unlikely to , if ever, be applied to a BAME actress. It's as if the role, playing into the trope of the "dumb blonde" character, never existed.

You may disagree. That's absolutely fine.
She was smart, she graduated top of her class, that’s the point of the film!! She’s not a bimbo!

Stacey Dash playing Dione Davenport in Clueless was a bimbo as was Karyn Parsons (Hilary Banks) in Fresh Prince

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8428 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:43 pm

1uh4iy.jpg
1uh4iy.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
This user liked this post: tiger76

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 pm
You may have a point Ringo, a couple of interesting articles in the Telegraph that back up your opinion.

And these might be the start of a pushback.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... majority/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... niter-rhr
"In Poole and Oxford, we are seeing the first stirrings of the silent majority"

"We cannot let these Marxist vandals humiliate us in their mindless iconoclasm"

I've said it repeatedly. My opinion is simply that of the right and fair minded majority.

I see it time and time again, here on this messageboard, which is s microcosm of The Real World. I express my opinion and the resident noisy minority swoop. Often using foul and abusive language and personal attacks. They hate people voicing a different world view to theirs. But what they detest far more than anything, is being reminded that they're the , destined to be out of power for a few more years, far left, increasingly frustrated angry and aggressive, noisy minority.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 999 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm

The people defending the toppling of the Colston statue say "we tried democracy and it didnt work so...we had to......
"
Population of Bristol c 550,000
number of people who signed petition to remove statue = 11,000 (and this number is mentioned by Guardian, BBC etc as a justification without comparing it to the 50 time bigger number).

Yes they tried democracy and didnt get the answer they wanted so the mob acted.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 pm
They hate people voicing a different world view to theirs. But what they detest far more than anything, is being reminded that they're the , destined to be out of power for a few more years
I don't believe anyone on this board would be in power no matter which party formed a government.

The way some people take exchanges about politics so seriously is totally bizarre.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 pm
If you watched Peston last night you would have seen the opinion survey on removing statues. Once again there was a clear view that it was not the thing to do. The silent majority in this country again do not support far left wing anti democratic politics. They never will. Stamer knows this and if you don't want a Tory government that is good news.
I'm not against us as a society having a balanced debate about these statues, but the problem with a small minority on the far left is they don't want a balanced debate. Thankfully for Labour Starmer is a sensible moderate leader, and he'd make a decent PM given the chance, he's a bit dull, but i can cope with dull as long as he's competent.

What worries me is some of the MP'S, Dawn Butler for one defending the actions of this out of control faction, yes i'm well aware of the long campaign to remove Colston's statue, and i can understand to an extent why people took matters into their own hands, but for a member of parliament to defend them openly, and not even say their actions were wrong is worrying, and i was even more shocked that Lisa Nandy agreed with her, i thought Nandy was one of the more sensible Labour frontbench.
This user liked this post: Somethingfishy

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm
All these decisions should go to a public postal vote in each area it would be an absolute whitewash.

Is this the media driving all this?
Whitewash? That's a term you won't be able to use soon :!: :lol:

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 am
In the present climate it would be difficult to put up a statue to JC.I note Mandela's statue seems safe as well as Ghandi's but neither were whiter than white were they? :lol: :lol: :lol:
JC? .......who'd want a statue of Jeremy Clarkson?

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 pm

if this is the case we better demolish the Pyramids now as all were built by slaves.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:40 pm

The problem with ripping down statues, is that it wont stop with the statues of the people involved with the slave trade or the ones who were racist. They will be the starting point for liberals to try and bully everything that offends them out of existence. They have already stated they want to pull down a Robert Peel statue, and Peel tower for whatever it is they find offensive, and Horatio Nelson for some perceived injustice. Before long it will be Thatcher for making them find a job in the 80's, Eric Morcambe for something said in conversation that someone was earwigging into and so on and so on.

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:49 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 pm

As often with this events, most people are indifferent, and it's the minorities on both sides of the fence who make the most noise.
An empty vessel often makes the loudest noise!

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:52 pm

I expect it will die down soon enough, although I do think the statues of slave traders should have been taken down long ago. Statues are not just historical monuments, they are celebrating great lives and we can now see that these lives weren't great, or at least not in any way that we can be proud of.

And I don't think you can say that what they did should be judged by the values of the times. The ways in which implement fundamental principles may change, but the principles themselves are absolute and universal. By that I mean compassion, kindness, goodwill and an outlook on the world that is wholly benign. These weren't invented in the 1960s, they are what amounts to the fullness of our humanity, every place, every time.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum