Covid-19

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Re: Covid-19

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 pm
I am still very much around and will continue to add my opinions in a polite and responsible manner but maintain the right to defend myself when I am subjected to uncalled for abuse.

Thankfully there are some on here who can debate in an intelligent and civil manner without resorting to unjustified insults.
There are also many posters who can debate without resorting to making up another username to like your original posts and agree with them. The lies about your wife are arguably just as poor. Hold your hands up when you’ve been caught with your pants down.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 pm
I am still very much around and will continue to add my opinions in a polite and responsible manner but maintain the right to defend myself when I am subjected to uncalled for abuse.

Thankfully there are some on here who can debate in an intelligent and civil manner without resorting to unjustified insults.
But just debating with your wife will get boring after a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Grumps wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pm
But just debating with your wife will get boring after a while :lol: :lol: :lol:
Get yourself a life you sad pathetic person.
Its just getting boring.
Dont you remember you said only yesterday you werent going to respond to any more of my posts but within a few hours you couldnt resist yourself.

This thread was good over the weekend with interesting and informative debate until you decided to change its course.

You need to get a grip for your own sake and sanity

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:38 pm

paulatky and Grumps in the same conversation 💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤
This user liked this post: paulatky

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 pm

If i could try and inject some sanity to the conversation.

The number of excess deaths in the UK since the coronavirus outbreak began has reached 64,402.

This morning's figures from the Office for National Statistics show 58,693 excess deaths in England and Wales between March 21 and June 5.

It follows the release of figures from Scotland and Northern Ireland last week. All these figures are based on death registrations.

The weekly death registrations in the UK have fallen closer to the five-year average after spiking in spring.

So judging by those numbers we do appear to be returning to a near normal weekly death rate across the UK, and as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, many elderly people that would have passed away in the coming months could well have succumbed to covid, so this may mean that death rates in the 2nd half of this year are lower than average, and consequently the end-of-year totals aren't much higher than normal.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:07 pm
The problem is we have also to follow other world economies. If everyone else successfully comes out of lockdown we have simply no choice but to follow suit otherwise the damage from that will far outweigh anything from the virus.
Other countries are less likely to trade with us if we go into a 'second peak'. The government would then go into a second lockdown just like they did in March when the French President was set to close the borders and the NHS looked like it was going to be overwhelmed.

Believe me a second lockdown needs to be avoided. All we need is a few weeks delay so that we can get a 'containment plan' in place with working technology that doesn't contravene the Data Protection Act. We can then get out of lockdown and stay out.

We don't want to be going in and out of lockdown until next spring. Peoples jobs and businesses are at stake. We have already done a large amount of damage by failing to contain the virus and then going into the stupid lockdown in the first place. Like I said in the last post the current strategy is relying on the virus becoming less contagious or a vaccine becoming available at an early stage. We need better management than this. We need a containment strategy.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky tiger76

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:08 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 pm
So judging by those numbers we do appear to be returning to a near normal weekly death rate across the UK, and as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, many elderly people that would have passed away in the coming months could well have succumbed to covid, so this may mean that death rates in the 2nd half of this year are lower than average, and consequently the end-of-year totals aren't much higher than normal.
There could be a reduction in deaths due to hospitals learning how to treat COVID patients better.

Also, as 'COVID hospitalisation' reduces, other 'everyday health services' are opening up. A good number of the excess deaths in April/May are likely to have occurred due to services being withdrawn (cancer and heart disease in particular).

There might hopefully be a reduction in deaths due to the 'viral load' of the virus reducing (Italian Dr from a couple of weeks ago). The worldwide figures that I posted earlier today, show that whilst cases continue to rise, the fatality rates first fell and then stalled.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm
Other countries are less likely to trade with us if we go into a 'second peak'. The government would then go into a second lockdown just like they did in March when the French President was set to close the borders and the NHS looked like it was going to be overwhelmed.

Believe me a second lockdown needs to be avoided. All we need is a few weeks delay so that we can get a 'containment plan' in place with working technology that doesn't contravene the Data Protection Act. We can then get out of lockdown and stay out.

We don't want to be going in and out of lockdown until next spring. Peoples jobs and businesses are at stake. We have already done a large amount of damage by failing to contain the virus and then going into the stupid lockdown in the first place. Like I said in the last post the current strategy is relying on the virus becoming less contagious or a vaccine becoming available at an early stage. We need better management than this. We need a containment strategy.
Definitely agree we can't afford a 2nd lockdown, that's why it's vital we have a reliable track & trace system in place ASAP, also imposing a 2nd lockdown will be virtually impossible, firstly as you rightly point out there's the economic risk, but also if the furlough scheme isn't going to be in place beyond October, people and employers will have no choice but to take the chance and open their businesses up, otherwise once all this abates they'll be no economy to return to, and society will be impacted financially and socially, and the damage will last for years, if not decades to come.

Now you raise a couple of possible get out of jail cards for the government, but personally i'd rather not rely on luck to get us out of this situation, and we can't leave it to chance that the virus diminishes in strength, or a vaccine emerges this year, we need some proper leadership, and a plausible exit strategy so we are not constantly in and out of lockdown for the next year.

Firstly we need to prioritise the care sector which has been treated appallingly, and is where most of the deaths are now occurring, PPE and testing need to be readily available for staff and residents, and if staff are positive or are showing symptoms, there needs to be a mechanism in place to allow them to self-isolate, and not feel pressured in returning to home before they're fully recovered mentally and physically.

Face coverings need to be mandatory in all enclosed spaces, and social distancing strictly applied.

And where possible employers have to be flexible with their staff rotas.

And now the main point we need to devise a working app that's fit for purpose, it doesn't have to world-beating Boris, just functional will suffice.

I find it staggering that a developed nation with all our riches, can't in the 21st century devise a simple but effective track and trace app, we're not living in the stone ages, and other countries in Europe and beyond have managed this feat, it's gross incompetence that the 5th/6th richest nation on the planet can't manage this simple task, given all the technology available.

And if the government can't ensure we don't have to be in and out of lockdown on a constant basis given the knowledge now available to them, then their not fit for office, i gave them the benefit of the doubt at first, as this is a new virus, and data and information was thin on the ground, but surely after months of research and cases to study, they should be able to have a strategy to exit lockdown by now, that minimises the risk without crashing the economy at the same time, we can't totally eradicate risk, but we can mitigate that risk.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6887 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:01 pm

These 2 users liked this post: ksrclaret paulatky

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:05 pm

All the big hitters are out there eulogising about what a significant breakthrough this is.

Fingers crossed.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Interesting comments from Peston on how Track and Trace seems be failing https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1272505831754514433 The numbers he is presenting seem to stack up but I don't know if there are any other considerations.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Brilliant and great to see some positive news.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Definitely agree we can't afford a 2nd lockdown, that's why it's vital we have a reliable track & trace system in place ASAP, also imposing a 2nd lockdown will be virtually impossible, firstly as you rightly point out there's the economic risk, but also if the furlough scheme isn't going to be in place beyond October, people and employers will have no choice but to take the chance and open their businesses up, otherwise once all this abates they'll be no economy to return to, and society will be impacted financially and socially, and the damage will last for years, if not decades to come.

Now you raise a couple of possible get out of jail cards for the government, but personally i'd rather not rely on luck to get us out of this situation, and we can't leave it to chance that the virus diminishes in strength, or a vaccine emerges this year, we need some proper leadership, and a plausible exit strategy so we are not constantly in and out of lockdown for the next year.

Firstly we need to prioritise the care sector which has been treated appallingly, and is where most of the deaths are now occurring, PPE and testing need to be readily available for staff and residents, and if staff are positive or are showing symptoms, there needs to be a mechanism in place to allow them to self-isolate, and not feel pressured in returning to home before they're fully recovered mentally and physically.

Face coverings need to be mandatory in all enclosed spaces, and social distancing strictly applied.

And where possible employers have to be flexible with their staff rotas.

And now the main point we need to devise a working app that's fit for purpose, it doesn't have to world-beating Boris, just functional will suffice.

I find it staggering that a developed nation with all our riches, can't in the 21st century devise a simple but effective track and trace app, we're not living in the stone ages, and other countries in Europe and beyond have managed this feat, it's gross incompetence that the 5th/6th richest nation on the planet can't manage this simple task, given all the technology available.

And if the government can't ensure we don't have to be in and out of lockdown on a constant basis given the knowledge now available to them, then their not fit for office, i gave them the benefit of the doubt at first, as this is a new virus, and data and information was thin on the ground, but surely after months of research and cases to study, they should be able to have a strategy to exit lockdown by now, that minimises the risk without crashing the economy at the same time, we can't totally eradicate risk, but we can mitigate that risk.
Yes. I think compulsory face masks are an essential part of a lockdown strategy. It only needs common sense to work that one out. All this 'ah um the virus might get round the side' was just a smokescreen to cover up the lack of PPI in the country.

The App has fallen foul of the usual 'public sector technology development delay'. The Private sector would have developed an App by now given the right incentives. We could also learn from other countries, Google and Apple who are at the forefront of this kind of technology.

I agree about the care sector. Care homes have been badly hit. There are also 5.4 million unpaid carers in the country who, as far as I know, have had no help whatsoever.

Unfortunately the government is either relying on luck (the virus diminishing) or a vaccine being ready. If the Oxford Vaccine becomes available first, I am sure the Government will take the credit.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Open up the country.

Great news with the steroid.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

New Zealand have recorded their first new cases for a few days. Looks like it was two Brits who took it into the country.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm
Open up the country.

You can't relax anything because of the steroid. It means those in a coma now have a far better chance of surviving.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:21 pm
You can't relax anything because of the steroid. It means those in a coma now have a far better chance of surviving.
Yes, it's a virus with a 99% recovery rate that has just got even better.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:29 pm
Yes, it's a virus with a 99% recovery rate that has just got even better.
The point is though, if you just open up the country hospitals will be overwhelmed. This won't stop thousands getting seriously ill in the first place

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:10 pm
The point is though, if you just open up the country hospitals will be overwhelmed. This won't stop thousands getting seriously ill in the first place
It depends on how you define open up. And there's certainly a case and evidence for continuing to open up society and the economy gradually as is happening now without overwhelming the NHS.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Coronavirus deaths in England and Wales fall to lowest total for nine weeks in sign pandemic is easing. https://uk.yahoo.com/news/around-third ... 00565.html

London figures were particularly interesting-The total number of deaths in London – from all conditions – is now below the average weekly mortality toll seen over the last five years. Yesterday five coronavirus deaths were reported in London and the toll has been in single figures virtually every day for the last three weeks.

Could we be seeing a flattening or at least a levelling out of excess deaths now? Especially in the capital.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:29 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm
New Zealand have recorded their first new cases for a few days. Looks like it was two Brits who took it into the country.
Or New Zealand nationals returning home from UK to see a very sick parent for the last time.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Good news regarding Dexamethasone.
This user liked this post: tiger76

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:06 pm
Good news regarding Dexamethasone.
Yes! and the really good news is it's readily available and can be used now. It won't solve all the cases, but anything that helps is too be welcomed.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Yes! and the really good news is it's readily available and can be used now. It won't solve all the cases, but anything that helps is too be welcomed.
The thing to be wary of, is that it's for people in hospital and in a bad way. It can actually increase your chances of making the symptoms worse if it's taken in general for other illnesses.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am
It's the second Spike that we need to avoid in order to save the economy from catastrophe. It's bad enough now. I'm not sure just how much government will be able to help if we go into a second lockdown that trails into the winter months.

It would have better to come out of lockdown more slowly - perhaps starting at the end of June or at least when we have an effective containment plan with app technology and all. The 'cat's out of the bag' now. Poor management of the situation by government and 'low cultural capital' of the UK population has resulted in the situation being 'out of control' again.

We are now reliant on the virus becoming weaker and fizzling out of it's own accord or a vaccine becoming available late summer/early Autumn.
There will not be a second lockdown, no matter what, if we have a second spike they will just carry on. Great news there is a drug that can save 1 in 8 people who are ventilated. Hope we can find some more drugs that help.

The economy is the new battle. .

The big question can we avoid a world wide depression. The size of any second wave will have a the severest impact on our economy, let’s hope it’s a small wave.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6887 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm

More vaccine good news.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/astrazeneca-c ... 49226.html
I think it will be rather like flue and be annual until a long term vaccine is created or the virus peters out as more and more people gain immunity which I think is most likely.
I said when this vaccine was announced months ago governments and financial markets wouldn't invest so much in a dud.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 pm
There will not be a second lockdown, no matter what, if we have a second spike they will just carry on. Great news there is a drug that can save 1 in 8 people who are ventilated. Hope we can find some more drugs that help.

The economy is the new battle. .

The big question can we avoid a world wide depression. The size of any second wave will have a the severest impact on our economy, let’s hope it’s a small wave.
I agree that the economy is a battle but it's not new. For me, along with 'saving lives' the economy has always been at the forefront. It is not a question of 'the economy' OR 'saving lives'. I want both and trying to prioritise one without the other will bring them both down. The government recognises this but my argument is that they have not been managing the situation very well.

The 'economic capital' of the country and the 'cultural capital' form a 'symbiotic circle'. An effective 'containment plan' will necessarily include measures to get the economy moving at a more rapid rate than we are currently achieving whilst ensuring that people are protected in the best way possible.

In Korea, there was no lockdown. Their football has been in full flow for some time now. Fans will soon be back in stadiums. How have they achieved this? Good leadership that has gained the trust of the people along with twenty first century technology and first class management of the situation.

The UK government have said that they will go back into lockdown if a second spike occurs or if it is necessary to curtail a second spike. They hope to do it on a local basis in order to stop a national lockdown. However, a national lockdown will go ahead if the spike occurs. They have also said that the economic consequences of a 'second spike' would be severe and that they will implement measures to prevent it.

There is a 'five level alert' system (when it works). Currently we are moving between level 4 (second highest) to level three (mid level of alert). This is another thing that needs to get up and running but is secondary to 'masks' and 'track and trace' imo.

Picture the situation if the UK has eased from lockdown too early whilst other countries haven't. The other countries will likely close their borders to the UK. The UK is heavily dependent on foreign trade to keep it's economy afloat, to supply it's raw materials and to keep it's shops stocked. The government knows this and so will start a difficult second lockdown.

Also picture NHS hospitals being overwhelmed and the newspaper headlines the day after: 'National Health Buckles Under the Tories'. It would be political unacceptable for the Conservatives to sacrifice the NHS. They would be out of office for a decade at least.

The economic consequences of the current lockdown are enormous. We are likely to see high unemployment for sometime to come. Many people will need to work for lower wages and have a lower standard of living. Goodness knows what is going to happen to the housing market. But the current situation will seem like a picnic compared to the situation caused by a second spike in the pandemic.

Lets hope that the virus is getting weaker or an early vaccine becomes available. We are currently trusting 'Lady Luck'.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm

It would be political unacceptable for the Conservatives to sacrifice the NHS
It's not theirs to sacrifice, they've sold it to the Yanks apparently :lol:

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:30 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm
More vaccine good news.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/astrazeneca-c ... 49226.html
I think it will be rather like flue and be annual until a long term vaccine is created or the virus peters out as more and more people gain immunity which I think is most likely.
I said when this vaccine was announced months ago governments and financial markets wouldn't invest so much in a dud.
Yes. Your right. There are over 100 vaccine projects currently being undertaken around the world. It is possible that they could all be wrong but unlikely. A number of the projects are likely to fail but I think that there will be success at some point along the way.

Other Encouraging Vaccine News
"Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine successfully generates immune response at Phase 1/2. Beijing-based firm Sinovac has revealed new Phase 1/2 data on its own COVID-19 vaccine, known as CoronaVac". http://www.pharmafile.com/news/551325/s ... e-phase-12

CureVac becomes second company to test coronavirus vaccine in Germany. https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... F?rpc=401&

China's Sinopharm touts 100% antibody response for COVID-19 vaccine it's already giving to workers. https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asi ... dy-giving

Sorrento Therapeutics, announced it has an antibody drug that has been effective in early testing in blocking the virus that causes COVID-19. They say the drug could potentially be used to treat people with COVID-19 as well as help prevent infection. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... 9#Vaccines

"China's vaccine candidate shows promise in human trials" https://www.businesstoday.in/current/wo ... 07115.html

Imperial College London trials begin https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... don-begins

Elderly, sick, essential workers will get virus vaccine first https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/ ... ne-US.html

Moderno, Inovio, University of Queensland, Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi, Pfizer
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... 9#Vaccines

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm
It's not theirs to sacrifice, they've sold it to the Yanks apparently :lol:
Yes it is laughable whoever dreamed that fiction up.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Need more of this. Jail term increased for Inverness man who coughed on police officers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... -53058620

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Downward trend continuing thankfully.

Oliver Dowden opens today's No 10 coronavirus briefing by giving an update on the latest data.

The culture, media and sport secretary says there are now 299,251 confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK, an increase of 1,115 on yesterday.

He adds there are 379 coronavirus patients currently in ventilation beds in hospitals. The total number of coronavirus patients in hospital is down 13% on a week ago, he adds.

Mr Dowden says that - on a seven-day rolling average - the number of daily coronavirus deaths is continuing to go down. A further 184 people have died across all settings.

"We are making important progress," he adds.

Numbers are coming down, but painfully slow.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Open up the country.

They’ve been using it in Spain since March

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Interesting theory on why Sweden didnt lockdown

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is- ... 44e57c391f

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Open up the country.

Dexamethosone was being discussed on the Chris Martenson broadcast three months ago. The Americans call it MethlyPrednisolene. There has been a 'full treatment protocol' for it for some time.

Apparently it works even better with added Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Heparin plus optional co-interventions: Zinc, Vitamin D, Famotidine, Magnesium and Melatonin. But the great British scientists haven't discovered that bit yet.
https://covid19criticalcare.com/treatment-protocol/

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:54 pm

"Preliminary evidence indicates famotidine (antacid tablets such as pepsid) might improve COVID-19 symptoms"
High-dose oral famotidine might improve cardinal symptoms of COVID-19 infection, according to the findings of a small outpatient case series and a subsequent retrospective study.

After developing COVID-19 symptoms, the 10 patients in the case series began self-medicating with 60-240 mg famotidine daily over a median of 11 days. “All patients reported marked improvements of disease-related symptoms after starting famotidine,” first author Tobias Janowitz, MD, PhD, of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, N.Y., and associates wrote in Gut.

Improvements began within 24-48 hours of starting on the histamine-2 receptor antagonist. By 14 days after treatment initiation, all patients reported near-normalization of both respiratory and systemic symptoms, the researchers reported.
https://www.mdedge.com/internalmedicine ... dine-might

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Opening Hair Salons - That's the way to do it.

Two Missouri Hairdressers opened their salon whilst both having the COVID-19 symptoms. They then went on to see 140 clients. County Health Officials say that 46 of the clients were tested. The rest were made to quarantine for 14 days.

Result: Apart from the two hairdressers, not one of them contracted the virus.

Why?
"The salon kept impeccable records that made contact tracing possible. The clients and stylists all wore face coverings and the salon had set up other measures such as social distancing of chairs and staggered appointments". (Springfield Green County Health Department).

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2898 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Could you imagine the response if the UK tried to introduce the restrictions that they are reintroducing in Beijing?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 pm

What happens if a country doesn't take any measures or restrictions whatsoever?

Brazil is the closest example to this.

Bolsonaro's coronavirus response: A threat to Brazil's economy
"We look at how President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of COVID-19 crisis has decimated Brazil's health service and economy...Brazil's right-wing populist leader Jair Bolsonaro has been dismissive about the health crisis and implored people to ignore state governors who had ordered lockdowns and social distancing measures".

The result:
  • "Brazil has the third-highest number of confirmed COVID-19 cases, behind the United States and Russia. A study by Imperial College suggest that 70,000 to one million Brazilians could die depending on measures taken to halt the progress of the pandemic".
  • Millions of jobs have been lost due to the coronavirus pandemic.
  • Brazil's healthcare system ...is close to collapse from the sheer number of COVID-19 patients.
  • Despite a stimulus package, the economy is expected to contract 4.7 percent this year - the biggest fall since 1900.
  • The situation is so bad that President Donald Trump is considering banning Brazilians from travelling to the US.
https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/co ... 43877.html
  • Only two countries, the US and the UK, have lost more lives, and Brazil seems poised to overtake the latter. Brazil has confirmed 615,000 cases, second only to the US.
  • Brazil has officially suffered 34,021 Covid-19 deaths since confirming its first fatality in mid-March and on Thursday registered a daily record of 1,473 fatalities.That means that a Brazilian is now dying to Covid-19 every minute, the Folha de São Paulo newspaper noted on Friday’s front page.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rus-doctor

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Every prosecution brought under the new Coronavirus Act has had to be dropped – for the third month in a row.

A CPS review of completed prosecutions under the hastily-introduced legislation in England and Wales last month found that all nine prosecutions under the Act had to be dropped.

None of the prosecutions was found to apply to potentially infectious people, which is what the Act covers. It gives officers the power to remove or detain people for screening and assessment if they are suspected to have Covid-19.

Out of 271 charges under the Health Protection Regulations, a separate piece of legislation introduced alongside the Act, a more modest 20 were found to have been unlawful. They included four homeless people who were wrongly prosecuted – for being outside.

The Regulations stipulate that, during the lockdown, “no person may leave the place they were living without reasonable excuse”. Unlike the Act, they give powers to break up gatherings and issue fines.

A reasonable excuse included the need to obtain basic necessities, like food and medical supplies for your household or “a vulnerable person”. The law does not apply to homeless people and the charges against the four individuals were withdrawn in court.

Two further cases charged in breach of the Regulations were withdrawn from court because Welsh regulations had been used in England, and two were pulled because of a lack of evidence.

Though no ethnicity data is yet available from the Ministry of Justice for those who were charged under the new laws, today it was revealed that police enforcing the coronavirus lockdown in England and Wales were more than six times more likely to issue fines to BAME people than white people.

Figures obtained by Liberty Investigates, part of the civil liberties group Liberty, and the Guardian, give a force-by-force breakdown ahead of their official release.

Asked by HuffPost UK last month how he would reassure BAME communities that the rules were being enforced fairly, health secretary Matt Hancock said only that officers should be free to do their jobs without “fear or favour”.

Gregor McGill, CPS director of legal services, said: “Continued hard work by the police and Crown Prosecution Service has improved the application and enforcement of the rules under the coronavirus legislation.

“Errors have significantly reduced, with all but one of the incorrect charges immediately identified and withdrawn by prosecutors in court.

“The CPS will continue to review all finalised prosecutions where no fixed penalty notice was offered, as well as every case where someone disputes they have breached the Regulations, for as long as these laws remain in place.”

Last month Gill admitted all of the 44 charges made under the Act since March were also incorrect and had to be dropped.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 pm
Could you imagine the response if the UK tried to introduce the restrictions that they are reintroducing in Beijing?
Yes I could. The pandemic has revealed that UK suffers an appalling deficit of 'cultural capital'.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am

Dominic Raab has revealed that the 'world beating track and trace App' will not be rolled out until sometime in winter. :(

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am
Dominic Raab has revealed that the 'world beating track and trace App' will not be rolled out until sometime in winter. :(
But it will be world beating won’t it? Please tell me it will still be world beating!
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 am

UnderSeige wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 pm
Dexamethosone was being discussed on the Chris Martenson broadcast three months ago. The Americans call it MethlyPrednisolene. There has been a 'full treatment protocol' for it for some time.

Apparently it works even better with added Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Heparin plus optional co-interventions: Zinc, Vitamin D, Famotidine, Magnesium and Melatonin. But the great British scientists haven't discovered that bit yet.
https://covid19criticalcare.com/treatment-protocol/
It’s somewhat surprising that dexamethosone has only just now come to the fore as an effective treatment for COVID, as it is already widely used for respiratory conditions, most notably premature babies on ventilators due to under-developed, damaged lungs, where it is very effective in enabling the patient to be transferred to less invasive breathing therapies such as CPAP.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 am
But it will be world beating won’t it? Please tell me it will still be world beating!
ahh.......um...... well...ah.... were working hard on it.....um

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 am
It’s somewhat surprising that dexamethosone has only just now come to the fore as an effective treatment for COVID, as it is already widely used for respiratory conditions, most notably premature babies on ventilators due to under-developed, damaged lungs, where it is very effective in enabling the patient to be transferred to less invasive breathing therapies such as CPAP.
The announcement earlier this week was that they've tested it for covid-19 patients and it's been proved to help recovery. That's the important bit "tested" and "it helps" for the health impact of this new virus.

Makes sense that it's already been in use in other health conditions.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 am
ahh.......um...... well...ah.... were working hard on it.....um
The PM'S to do list.

1) Paint plane
2) Change nappies
3) Brexit talks
4)Try and remember Marcus Rashford's name
5) Roll out the world-beating track and trace app
This user liked this post: longsidepies

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm

How long can the BoE keep doing this to stimulate the economy?

The Bank of England will pump an extra £100bn into the UK economy to help fight the coronavirus-induced downturn.

Bank policymakers voted 8-1 to increase the size of its bond-buying programme.

The Bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) also kept interest rates at a record low of 0.1%.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Need more of this. Jail term increased for Inverness man who coughed on police officers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... -53058620
Good. People need to be made a lesson of, and I'd say a longer sentence if it's believed that the person knew they had Covid-19.

Like many things though over the last few months, a bit too late. For instance, fines should have been far far higher than the £60(?) for people ignoring lockdown - easily should have been £500-1000.