Shopping list

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Shopping list

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:10 pm

With Bardsley the only one staying on from the 5 ooc players, what do we need for next season? I feel that if Garlick gets behind dyche this summer we could do a great rebuilding job with the fees being so much lower. I know we can’t be sure about the COVID situation next year, but player fees this summer, combined with the potential to sell Tarkowski, McNeil and Pope for a combined £150M over the next couple of years surely makes some investment into the player market this summer worthwhile.

For me hopefully a starting right wing, young central midfielder for the future and a reliable 2nd choice keeper. Surely not too much to ask, wouldn’t cost more than £20M And would boost the squad nicely while hopefully keeping Mr Sean happy :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Shopping list

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:14 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:10 pm
With Bardsley the only one staying on from the 5 ooc players, what do we need for next season? I feel that if Garlick gets behind dyche this summer we could do a great rebuilding job with the fees being so much lower. I know we can’t be sure about the COVID situation next year, but player fees this summer, combined with the potential to sell Tarkowski, McNeil and Pope for a combined £150M over the next couple of years surely makes some investment into the player market this summer worthwhile.

For me hopefully a starting right wing, young central midfielder for the future and a reliable 2nd choice keeper. Surely not too much to ask, wouldn’t cost more than £20M And would boost the squad nicely while hopefully keeping Mr Sean happy :D
You seem to have this notion that fees will be lower when we buy but not when we sell. On the goalkeeping situation, we've got BPF who will now step up to be second choice.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:15 pm

I think the shopping list will be out of the window for 12 months.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm assuming Peacock Farrell will take over as number 2 keeper? A backup centre half to replace Gibson? Right midfield has to be our top priority I think. If Vydra moves on another striker as well i suppose.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 pm

I may be wrong but I’d have thought we’ll have to settle for some free transfers and loans this summer window, maybe a decent player for a relatively low fee (£1-2m) from a club who need the money.

It seems overly optimistic to think we’ll be seriously spending. I just can’t see Garlick going down that route for one second at the moment.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 pm

What makes you think Vydra will move on? I think that ship may have sailed as he's getting games.

We need to keep him. Get him and Wood upfront when Wood returns.
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 pm
What makes you think Vydra will move on? I think that ship may have sailed as he's getting games.

We need to keep him. Get him and Wood upfront when Wood returns.
He's only got a year left on his contract. If anyone were to offer 5 or 6 million for him I think he'll be off.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:21 pm

There's no harm in looking, but dont be getting any silly ideas regards 5 or 6 first teamers walking through the door.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:20 pm
He's only got a year left on his contract. If anyone were to offer 5 or 6 million for him I think he'll be off.
Let's hope that doesn't happen. He's quality.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:14 pm
You seem to have this notion that fees will be lower when we buy but not when we sell. On the goalkeeping situation, we've got BPF who will now step up to be second choice.
I think there are reasons to be cautiously optmistic.

As you point out - values might drop across the board. But we are one of the few clubs who had a financial contingency and the football league clubs (who are our main market for purchasing player) will be in a far worse position than us.

The same applies to many foreign leagues who we might try and raid.

Edit - but the key word is still "cautiously"
Last edited by Rowls on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:15 pm
I think the shopping list will be out of the window for 12 months.
Whilst the summer window will no doubt be challenging, you can't seriously be suggesting that we can go into next season with only what we currently have at our disposal?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Whilst the summer window will no doubt be challenging, you can't seriously be suggesting that we can go into next season with only what we currently have at our disposal?
You're talking like it's what I think should happen.

What I'm saying is I think the board will be wary and possibly keep the debit card in the wallet.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Personally (and I've said this before) I think the whole trying to play natural wingers in SD's team is a bit of a red herring. McNeill has bucked the trend, but to find another like him that plays on the right is a big ask. I think we'd get more success trying to get another reliable workhorse with a bit of quality (Snodgrass for example) and then buy a more athletic right back who can get up and down the wing and get crosses in (like Tripps used to do).

Players such as Lennon, Nkoudou, JBG and Brady have struggled in our disciplined system.

Other than that, we desperately need some presence in centre midfield, I think this should be our main focus.

Strikers, GK and defence (other than RB) are fine.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:14 pm
I think once COVID has finished and we are back to normal top teams will be willing to pay what they were before, and that’s when we’d most likely be looking to sell Pope Tarkowski and McNeil. This summer is when we want to be buying, not selling.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:44 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 pm

What I'm saying is I think the board will be wary and possibly keep the debit card in the wallet.
It wouldn't surprise me if the board go with what we have due to the current situation and if we stay up next season, it's a bonus, but if we get relegated then so be it.

It seems the wage bill is too high for us to sustain and I get the impression that relegation won't be seen as the end of the world.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Well, when you start a sentence with "I think"......

It's fairly obvious to most that they won't be splashing the cash but they will need to sign players to bulk the squad up at the very least. That means they will need to spend some money on signing on fees and wages. Money which has jus been freed up with the release of Hendrick, Legzdins, Hart and Lennon and the almost certain departure of Gibson.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Brownhill is Hendrick's replacement, BPF is Hart's replacement so we need to address the winger situation over the summer. My guess is with a free transfer.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm
Well, when you start a sentence with "I think"......

It's fairly obvious to most that they won't be splashing the cash but they will need to sign players to bulk the squad up at the very least. That means they will need to spend some money on signing on fees and wages. Money which has jus been freed up with the release of Hendrick, Legzdins, Hart and Lennon and the almost certain departure of Gibson.
No. No. No. I'm saying I think the club will keep their money in the bank. I'm not saying I think the club should keep the money in the bank. If you can't compute the difference, then I can't help you.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:01 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 pm
I may be wrong but I’d have thought we’ll have to settle for some free transfers and loans this summer window, maybe a decent player for a relatively low fee (£1-2m) from a club who need the money.

It seems overly optimistic to think we’ll be seriously spending. I just can’t see Garlick going down that route for one second at the moment.
You could well be right, our record on free transfers isn't bad, our forays into the loan market though, the less said the better.

I'd be concentrating on Championship players who only have 12 months on their contracts, that's where the value will be this summer, if the PL is hit by falling revenues, then it'll ten times worse for the Championship clubs, and i'm fairly certain they'll be a few firesales happening, that's the route i'd go down, whether MG and SD agree time will tell.

Now assuming nobody apart from Gibson goes this summer, we're left with the following.

Keepers

BPF
Pope

Right-backs

Bardsley
Lowton

Centre-backs

Long
Mee
Tarks

Left-backs

Pieters
Taylor

Right-wing

JBG

Centre-mid

Brownhill
Cork
Westwood

Left-wing

Brady
McNeil

Forwards

Barnes
Jay Rod
Vydra
Wood

So that just highlights how thin on the ground we are, even including the injured players, we only have 19 experienced pro's at the club right now, so it's not surprising, we're struggling for options ATM.

I've omitted the youth players as there's some doubt about their contracts, and it's also questionable how much they'd feature in the 1st team squad.

So looking at those options we'd need another CB if Gibson goes, definitely need a RW, JBG can't be relied on whatsoever to remain fit for any length of time. and another CM wouldn't go amiss either. The wide areas are a real concern, besides Dwight they're all made of glass, and i wouldn't set your stall out that either Brady or JBG will play double figures in terms of games next season, so possibly add a LW to that list.

We can only hope that getting Hart. Hendrick, Legdzins & Lennon off the books has given us some scope for incomings, that fit into our wage structure, because we're in dire need of reinforcements.

So in short a CB, CM, LW, RW, would be the essentials that need covered, so we need 4 in the building minimum. over to you Dyche, Garlick & Rigg, time to deliver.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 pm

Brownhill can cover right-midfield as well, Tiger.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I am going to throw this one in. In an ideal world in a squad of 25 I feel we need 5 strikers ie

-3 goalies
-4 fullbacks
-4 central defenders
-5 central midfield
-5 wide men
-5 strikers

That makes your 25. You also need a balance of right and left footed players in each group

In fairness we have not been far off this but rarely had 5 strikers at the club (with Wells being out on loan). This week has hit home to me.Its the area of play SD changes most and because of limited options has generally left it late in a game. You also have to appreciate that Chris Wood is a well built footballer but very prone to ham string, calf and groin injuries. Barnes is a worry-usually hernias are very painful operations but usually have a good recovery results. Was it not feared initially a groin injury. I wonder if they have correctly diagnosed this.There is no date being given to his recovery, and we all thought he would feature again this season before lockdown. Also have to say Jay has been on the treatment table a few times since joining us, however despite his horrendous injuries has played a good number of games since going to WBA and proved the doubters wrong.You can see my concerns re striking options once you allow for injuries and suspensions

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Poor maths by me-make that 4 wide men above

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 pm

5 strikers if one of them includes a youth player. This 5th striker will grab minutes here and there and gain experience.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:53 pm
No. No. No. I'm saying I think the club will keep their money in the bank. I'm not saying I think the club should keep the money in the bank. If you can't compute the difference, then I can't help you.
Well yeah, I mean obviously I am nowhere near your self-appointed level of intellect....but your posts are clearly saying that you think that the board will not spend any money at all this summer.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm
If we don't get at least 3/4 players in that are capable of being regulars, or at least reliable back-up, then we might as well wave the white flag and accept relegation now, yes the market's tough bla bla, we've heard it all before, that's why we employ a recruitment team who are supposed to be scouting players. if they aren't able to find the said players, then why are we paying them, now it could be the case that they are identifying players, and the manager for various reasons doesn't want them, but this comes down to communication between them and the manager, i assume we have a list of targets, and if we can't get our top targets in, we move onto our 2nd string targets, but surely we've working on a summer recruitment drive even during the lockdown, it would be remiss if that wasn't the case.

Now we've managed to shift some deadwood out in the form of the 2 keepers, plus Hendrick & Lennon have decided to go, so we must be saving a fair sum wages wise there, yes we need to be cautious with our wage bill, but equally we need to give the gaffer and the squad a fighting chance of competing in this league if nothing else.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Kieran Trippier
Adam Lallana
Nathan Ake

If that actually happened........!!

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Well said Tiger

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:21 pm

With Bardsley resigning it potentially takes right back off the list, although we know we need one in 12 months. Would be a good time to bed a young right back in so would leave in it on mine.

We require, right wing, centre midfield, centre back.

I'd go for:-

Swop deal and 10mil for Fry (Gibson the other way)

Buendia from Norwich who can play both right and the centre of midfield (likley under 10mil)

Gallagher (young lad from chelsea) centre mid- 15million

Provided we get 3 first teamers the remaining can be made from frees and youth. However... its very unlikely were spending 30 million with no outgoings.

Think Tarks might have to go, sell him for 40 and reinvest in in the squad, it's the only way I can see us doing it.

That would leave 5-10million for another centre half.

I don't want Tarks to go but trying to be a realist (although I don't know if we'd reinvest the full 40!)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:24 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:05 pm
Brownhill can cover right-midfield as well, Tiger.
He can hence the theory that he's Hendrick's replacement, but either way our wingers are injury prone, McNeil thankfully accepted, and they might be in the squad list, but that's really only in name, we can't build our starting XI around them starting any decent amount of games, that's why i was surprised we triggered Brady's extension, but we did, so it's up to him to prove the doubters wrong, JBG is a talent, but he's so fragile you never know if he'll be fit from week to week, if we're going to go down a slimmer squad route, the one thing we need is guys who'll be ready and able to play week in week out.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 pm

First priority should be extending any OOCs in 12months, that SD thinks he needs.
As regards next year we are not as weak as some make out. Our starting XI are still in place minus Hendrick. Brownhill has already been brought in to cover that situation.
A fourth CH is a must.
All our widemen play both sides so that is a bonus, one more would be a plus. I’d go for Bowen if WHU go down.
Since Ash Barnes injury both JRod and MattyV have looked PL players. With all 4 fit we look good and balanced up front.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:01 pm
You could well be right, our record on free transfers isn't bad, our forays into the loan market though, the less said the better.

I'd be concentrating on Championship players who only have 12 months on their contracts, that's where the value will be this summer, if the PL is hit by falling revenues, then it'll ten times worse for the Championship clubs, and i'm fairly certain they'll be a few firesales happening, that's the route i'd go down, whether MG and SD agree time will tell.

Now assuming nobody apart from Gibson goes this summer, we're left with the following.

Keepers

BPF
Pope

Right-backs

Bardsley
Lowton

Centre-backs

Long
Mee
Tarks

Left-backs

Pieters
Taylor

Right-wing

JBG

Centre-mid

Brownhill
Cork
Westwood

Left-wing

Brady
McNeil

Forwards

Barnes
Jay Rod
Vydra
Wood

So that just highlights how thin on the ground we are, even including the injured players, we only have 19 experienced pro's at the club right now, so it's not surprising, we're struggling for options ATM.

I've omitted the youth players as there's some doubt about their contracts, and it's also questionable how much they'd feature in the 1st team squad.

So looking at those options we'd need another CB if Gibson goes, definitely need a RW, JBG can't be relied on whatsoever to remain fit for any length of time. and another CM wouldn't go amiss either. The wide areas are a real concern, besides Dwight they're all made of glass, and i wouldn't set your stall out that either Brady or JBG will play double figures in terms of games next season, so possibly add a LW to that list.

We can only hope that getting Hart. Hendrick, Legdzins & Lennon off the books has given us some scope for incomings, that fit into our wage structure, because we're in dire need of reinforcements.

So in short a CB, CM, LW, RW, would be the essentials that need covered, so we need 4 in the building minimum. over to you Dyche, Garlick & Rigg, time to deliver.
Agree with virtually all of that. We need a third keeper, a right winger to start, a new creative cm younger than Cork and Westie who could start, a right-sided young CB as first reserve for if Tarks goes next summer and if we can stretch to it this window, a young promising left winger for sadly when Dwight goes next Summer.

Next year the younger attacking right back is a top priority, as well that new left winger, if as I suspect, we don't get one this window.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm
Kieran Trippier
Adam Lallana
Nathan Ake

If that actually happened........!!
Trippier maybe, but as we've given Phil another year, i guess that's not an option we're pursuing.

The other 2 you mentioned would be well out of our wage bracket, and they'll have others interested, Lallana's apparently going to Leicester, and Ake will generate bids especially if Bournemouth go down

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm

tiger76 wrote:
If we don't get at least 3/4 players in that are capable of being regulars, or at least reliable back-up, then we might as well wave the white flag and accept relegation now, yes the market's tough bla bla, we've heard it all before, that's why we employ a recruitment team who are supposed to be scouting players. if they aren't able to find the said players, then why are we paying them, now it could be the case that they are identifying players, and the manager for various reasons doesn't want them, but this comes down to communication between them and the manager, i assume we have a list of targets, and if we can't get our top targets in, we move onto our 2nd string targets, but surely we've working on a summer recruitment drive even during the lockdown, it would be remiss if that wasn't the case.

Now we've managed to shift some deadwood out in the form of the 2 keepers, plus Hendrick & Lennon have decided to go, so we must be saving a fair sum wages wise there, yes we need to be cautious with our wage bill, but equally we need to give the gaffer and the squad a fighting chance of competing in this league if nothing else.
What concerns me are the comments from the likes of Royboy when it comes to the financial matters at the club (high wage bill etc.). I can't help but have a nagging feeling that the current crisis won't have done us any favours and paying the TV money back (circa £17 million per club), along with the doomsday scenario from Mike Garlick that we could run out of money if the season is not completed, it's may suggest we might be seeing a period of belt tightening.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:27 pm
Agree with virtually all of that. We need a third keeper, a right winger to start, a new creative cm younger than Cork and Westie who could start, a right-sided young CB as first reserve for if Tarks goes next summer and if we can stretch to it this window, a young promising left winger for sadly when Dwight goes next Summer.

Next year the younger attacking right back is a top priority, as well that new left winger, if as I suspect, we don't get one this window.
Do you genuinely think we'll get all those, a 3rd keeper isn't a priority for me, unless we can pick up a cheap option/free transfer, we've got the kid Jensen, who was on the bench the other night, so that suggests that he might be staying as 3rd choice, realistically how often is a 3rd keeper going to play.

Right winger that can go straight into the 1st XI is a must for me, ideally a creative cm who can develop, there must be a question mark over Tarks, so if he goes we'll need to get his replacement in soon, hopefully we can get another year out of him anyway, before cashing in next summer, i'll be surprised if both Tarks and McNeil left next summer, the only way i can see that happening is if we drop to the Championship, but if the right options become available to get their potential replacements in we need to take it.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Ake I suspect will generate a bigger fee than Tarks would. Lallana will be sought after and he will demand a longish contract.Probably rejoin Rogers his ex boss

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Tiger. If Jenson is considered good enough than he would be ok, but I can't see Sean going with that.

The right winger, cm and cb are essential and the wages should be there from Hart, Gibson, Lennon and Jeff, even on a smaller overall budget due to Covid. There should be plenty of value on incoming fees for good Championship players, i.e. our usual market. Dittp from relegated teams.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:44 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if the board go with what we have due to the current situation and if we stay up next season, it's a bonus, but if we get relegated then so be it.

It seems the wage bill is too high for us to sustain and I get the impression that relegation won't be seen as the end of the world.
The current wage bill is sustainable for a Premier League club. An ever-increasing wage bill (unless matched by income increases) isn't.

This year will be a blip with the cut in revenue but it's nowhere near as big as some of the initial figures suggested. On top of that we have a guaranteed season of premier league income to come which will aid in planning.

We may lose some match day income next year but that is minimal for us compared to other clubs and there haven't been any noises about a cut in TV income next season.
Last edited by aggi on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Well yeah, I mean obviously I am nowhere near your self-appointed level of intellect....but your posts are clearly saying that you think that the board will not spend any money at all this summer.
Exactly! I'm saying I don't think the club will spend any/much money. I'm not saying I agree with them for doing it. Jesus. How thick can one person be?

And I know I'm more intelligent than a lot of people - I've never suggested I'm Kevin Ashman.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:10 pm

In terms of players I'd be looking out for the following:

1.) Centre-half who can also deputise at right back. Mike Van Der Hoorn available on a free from Swansea. Decent age, PL experience. Liam Moore from Reading also an option as Reading are short of cash at the moment I think, so may be attainable for a small fee. Denis Odoi (Fulham), Adrian Mariappa (Watford) and Daniel Ayala (Boro) also available on frees.

2.) Central midfielder. John Lundstram (Sheff Utd) appears to be on a free this summer. Would be a decent signing I think. Struggling other than him at the moment.

3.) Wide midfielder. Eliasson from Bristol City is on a free. Adam Lallana a more expensive option wages wise.

Time will tell but I've gone for typical SD safe, experienced options there. I do think Garlick is increasingly wanting to bring in younger players now though so you never know, although they'd cost a lot more in the short term.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:13 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:10 pm
In terms of players I'd be looking out for the following:

1.) Centre-half who can also deputise at right back. Mike Van Der Hoorn available on a free from Swansea. Decent age, PL experience. Liam Moore from Reading also an option as Reading are short of cash at the moment I think, so may be attainable for a small fee. Denis Odoi (Fulham), Adrian Mariappa (Watford) and Daniel Ayala (Boro) also available on frees.

2.) Central midfielder. John Lundstram (Sheff Utd) appears to be on a free this summer. Would be a decent signing I think. Struggling other than him at the moment.

3.) Wide midfielder. Eliasson from Bristol City is on a free. Adam Lallana a more expensive option wages wise.

Time will tell but I've gone for typical SD safe, experienced options there. I do think Garlick is increasingly wanting to bring in younger players now though so you never know, although they'd cost a lot more in the short term.
Eliasson is a good shout. Not sure Lallana is a Dyche player. In fact, I think he's definitely not a Dyche player.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:17 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:13 pm
Eliasson is a good shout. Not sure Lallana is a Dyche player. In fact, I think he's definitely not a Dyche player.
I'm not so sure about that, Frank. From what I know of Lallana he's a really energetic, high-pressing midfielder who has the technical ability to match. I don't think he's just a fancy, lightweight winger.

He's played in Klopp's midfield 3 so I think he'd be a decent fit for one of our wide midfield slots. Probably be too expensive for us anyway though, and likely to have other offers.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm

I’ll gamble and predict that like every other close season in the past 35 I’ve watched Burnley we’ll sign some new players!

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:33 pm

I'd like to see Steven Defour given a role as our European scout.
Must be some gems in the Belgian leagues worth a punt.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm
I’ll gamble and predict that like every other close season in the past 35 I’ve watched Burnley we’ll sign some new players!
I'm sure there was a season post ITV Digital collapsing that we didn't sign anybody 02/03 possibly?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Bright Osayi-Samuel was linked around January time and is probably the type of player we need to be looking at (decent age, won’t be out of our price range).

When you look at players out of contract also, a couple stand out as options or gambles. Jordon Ibe was shocking for Bournemouth but you wonder if there’s anything there to work with?

Adrian Mariappa is on a free and I think even at 32 he would be a great backup option, also someone Dyche knows well and wouldn’t expect to play every week (I.e no Gibson type problems).

I wouldn’t mind taking a couple of free transfers this summer and spending whatever our pot is entirely on a high quality replacement for Hendrick.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Imagine someone saying they don't think we'll sign anyone and then within minutes discussing the merits of particular transfer targets and whether they'd be good signings this summer.... Perhaps commenting numerous times on every single thread on the board muddles the brain.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:17 pm
Imagine someone saying they don't think we'll sign anyone and then within minutes discussing the merits of particular transfer targets and whether they'd be good signings this summer.... Perhaps commenting numerous times on every single thread on the board muddles the brain.
I don't think we'll sign a player this summer.
I'll discuss who I think we should sign.

You do understand one doesn't rule the other one out?

If I said, we shouldn't sign someone and then chatted about who we should sign, THAT would be odd. You don't understand it, because you're an extremely dumb individual. And I ask you to never reply or mention me again.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:34 pm

At the very least we need replace Hart, Gibson, Lennon and Hendrick. Preferably with younger pacier players. Even then our squad would be a bit thin on the ground.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Wouldn’t get giddy. The downplaying of the next transfer window started in the pre-match interviews with Dyche this afternoon.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:11 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm
Wouldn’t get giddy. The downplaying of the next transfer window started in the pre-match interviews with Dyche this afternoon.
As it has done for the past 7 years under Dyche.