Anti semetism

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1474 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Re: Anti semetism

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:05 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm
You’ve said yourself that Corbyn isn’t anti Semitic, I think the best you managed is that he’s “enabled it.” Some of the evidence ponied up is derisory. Naz Shah re-tweeting the tweet of a Jewish man anti Semitic? RLB anti Semitic for showing praise for an article about one of her constituents?

So here is Boris Johnson’s anti Semitic writings laid bare by Jewish academics:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -forgotten

Braverman used the term cultural Marxism, and then when it was pointed out to her she refused to apologise. Mogg described Bercow and Letwin (both Jews) as being in the Illuminati. He’s also accused Soros of being behind the remain campaign. Bercow has described being the victim of anti Semitic slurs by Tory colleagues, but never by Labour members. Patel has attacked the “North London Metropolitan Elite” (ie rich Jews). And Gove has conflated Israel with Jews.

In the tradition of Mosley’s fascists, anti semitism has always been there on the British right.
It's interesting you mention Boris Johnson's antisemitic writings - Disraeli did similar things in his writing apparently - created this idea of shadowy Jews controlling things from the background. - the kinds of things used in those nasty Nazi Propaganda films of Leni Riefenstahl and others.

Particularly Jud Süß from 1940.

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:03 pm
I've read the story many times before and if a pig told me one thing and the Daily Mail told me another, I'd believe the pig.
You have hit the nail firmly on the head. Just because the Daily Mail reported it some people can never believe it. I've often been tempted to ask Andrew who he thinks won the Premier league last season. The Daily Mail reported Man City winning it. I independently worked this out to be true.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:12 pm

android wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm
You have hit the nail firmly on the head. Just because the Daily Mail reported it some people can never believe it. I've often been tempted to ask Andrew who he thinks won the Premier league last season. The Daily Mail reported Man City winning it. I independently worked this out to be true.
Clearly, you have a particular view and the truth won't change that, but tell me, what has Jeremy Corbyn got to do with the Rebecca Long Bailey story? She might have retweeted too much of what was sent to her, but none of it was Anti semitic.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:15 pm

They're both extreme lefties like you, Gordaleman.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:15 pm
They're both extreme lefties like you, Gordaleman.
You know nothing about me and I'm certainly not 'Left Wing'. Oh, and by the way, being 'Left Wing' is not a crime in a democracy.

What I abhor is the way the Israeli goverment shouts 'Anti Semitism', every time they are criticised for killing men women and children in what should be the independent state of Palestine. I also abhor the fact that our government backs Israels actions all the time and it concerns me that Keir Starmer may be the next Tory Blair if he sacks people for speaking out.

I actually think that Starmer was trying to win back some Jewish votes, but if he causes more rifts in the Labour Party by his actions, then he will lose more than he gains.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm

I still think you're a leftie, Gordaleman. But, who cares.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm
I still think you're a leftie, Gordaleman. But, who cares.
So you've nothing constructive to say then? Thought not.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Nothing at all, enjoy your day.

android

Post by android » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:12 pm
Clearly, you have a particular view and the truth won't change that, but tell me, what has Jeremy Corbyn got to do with the Rebecca Long Bailey story? She might have retweeted too much of what was sent to her, but none of it was Anti Simetic.
That's a very strange comment given that I have just said twice how important the truth is! My comments are based on truth and evidence so if there is anything you think I have said that is untrue please do let me know.

Well, I guess Corbyn has everything and nothing to do with RLB. He is not directly involved but it is his legacy that Starmer is desperate to clear up. In isolation it seems to me that RLB has been harshly treated. Her offence, if there was one, was obviously not on a par with the 3 Corbyn incidents I mentioned above. I think Starmer was backed into a corner by making zero tolerance of anti semitism his first priority. Within a few days he had decided to let go the Diane Abbot Zoom meeting with some characters on the left with previous on anti semitism. So he probably felt he had to act on the next whiff of anti semitism and it happened to be RLB. Whether you view this as strong or weak leadership probably depends on whether you want him to do well. I'm sure it was also politically expedient to get rid.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:41 pm

The comparison between Northern Ireland and The Occupied Territories was always I thought accurate.

I've been to Belfast once, in 2009 - where I was conducting surveys for a week - relating to the EU.

A few days in West Belfast - Shankill road, Falls road, Andersonstown.

I was staying near Sandy Row in South Belfast.

Even met a former Protestant Prisoner who'd been released under the Good Friday agreement.

Met some lovely people both Catholic and Protestant.

But like Israel and The Occupied Territories there is so much History of atrocities committed on both sides that the things needed to resolve matters are hard to achieve but I suggest would include. 1) a willingness to compromise on both sides, 2) forget or at least forgive past wrongdoing and 3) show some humility.

Truth and reconciliation does sometimes work but only given certain conditions.

Israeli treatment of ordinary Palestinian civilians very similar to UK treatment of ordinary Northern Irish Catholic citizens.

And methods to combat Terrorism/Freedom Fighting (depending on your view of motives) by British and Israeli Armies very similar.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm

As the Channel Four report points out, it is difficult to know exactly what happened in Tunisia, but of course, the Daily Mail went in all guns blazing.
Apparrently you believe the uncorroborated story, or choose to because ofyour political views. That doesn't mean you are right.

Look four or five posts above this and you'll see that I think Starmer has made a mistake and as my letter further above shows, I've told him so. (It was posted yesterday.) I think you're right about his zero tolerance policy but as with a lot of people, I think he's mixing up criticism of the Israeli state with criticism of the Jewish people.

My local CLP has already written to him expressing the same view and asking him to reinstate RLB who has done nothing wrong apart from retweet in full a story that had errors in it. She's human after all, as we all are and she makes mistakes. However, even so, nothing she said was anti semitic except in the eyes of Labour Party haters and Keir Starmer, who could become the next Tory Blair if he's not careful.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:41 pm
The comparison between Northern Ireland and The Occupied Territories was always I thought accurate.

I've been to Belfast once, in 2009 - where I was conducting surveys for a week - relating to the EU.

A few days in West Belfast - Shankill road, Falls road, Andersonstown.

I was staying near Sandy Row in South Belfast.

Even met a former Protestant Prisoner who'd been released under the Good Friday agreement.

Met some lovely people both Catholic and Protestant.

But like Israel and The Occupied Territories there is so much History of atrocities committed on both sides that the things needed to resolve matters are hard to achieve but I suggest would include. 1) a willingness to compromise on both sides, 2) forget or at least forgive past wrongdoing and 3) show some humility.

Truth and reconciliation does sometimes work but only given certain conditions.

Israeli treatment of ordinary Palestinian civilians very similar to UK treatment of ordinary Northern Irish Catholic citizens.

And methods to combat Terrorism/Freedom Fighting (depending on your view of motives) by British and Israeli Armies very similar.
What a load of rubbish. I've served in Northern Ireland and I never saw fighter jets shooting civilians enmasse like Israel has done on numerous occasions over the years. Or soldiers mowing kids down for throwing a few stones. Neither have I seen the British goverment building illegal settlements on Catholic land. Honestly, some people just haven't got a clue.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 pm
What a load of rubbish. I've served in Northern Ireland and I never saw fighter jets shooting civilians enmasse like Israel has done on numerous occasions over the years. Or soldiers mowing kids down for throwing a few stones. Neither have I seen the British goverment building illegal settlements on Catholic land. Honestly, some people just haven't got a clue.
Have you spent much time in Israel? (This is a genuine question - as if you have it means your opinion carries more weight, in my eyes.)

I'm open to debate and learning from others opinions.

That was and is my opinion (which I believe is neither right or wrong - it's an opinion)

The things you've said couldn't have been done in Northern Ireland without killing Protestants, surely.

And the stuff about a long and complicated history I stand by, with atrocities on both sides.

I didn't say when the atrocities in Northern Ireland took place and you've assumed I meant in recent times. I was actually thinking more of English Civil War period.

But those atrocities on both sides live long in the memory. And make resolution difficult.

I accept the comments about modern army tactics is Ill informed rubbish (although still expressed as an opinion - I wasn't stating a fact) and stand corrected.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:37 pm
Instead of arguing about it here, I've written to Keir Starmer expressing my views. No doubt I'll get a lot of flak from some on here, but here goes.

Dear Keir,

And of course they get away with it, especially in America, where such a lot of people in government positions are Jews.

Yours sincerely,
This is the only sentence I have a problem with.
I see it as antisemitism but not intentionally and only in light of historical antisemitism which sought to portray Jews as shadowy figures influencing events from the background.

That sentence could be misconstrued in such a way that it implies something untoward going on.

I agree there are powerful lobbying groups who influence American policy in regard to Israel

Just as there are powerful lobbyists preventing gun control.

Do I like lobbying? No, but it's not illegal.

Again it's only my opinion, and if I understood the context a little more my opinion on that sentence might change.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm
Have you spent much time in Israel? (This is a genuine question - as if you have it means your opinion carries more weight, in my eyes.)

I'm open to debate and learning from others opinions.

That was and is my opinion (which I believe is neither right or wrong - it's an opinion)

The things you've said couldn't have been done in Northern Ireland without killing Protestants, surely.

And the stuff about a long and complicated history I stand by, with atrocities on both sides.

I didn't say when the atrocities in Northern Ireland took place and you've assumed I meant in recent times. I was actually thinking more of English Civil War period.

But those atrocities on both sides live long in the memory. And make resolution difficult.

I accept the comments about modern army tactics is Ill informed rubbish (although still expressed as an opinion - I wasn't stating a fact) and stand corrected.
No, I've never been to Israel and I've no wish to go. Religious zealots cause more trouble in the world than anyone else and I've no wish to meet any of them or help their tourist economy. I'm also an atheist who couldn't care less about so called religion.

Resolution? How many times have there been efforts at resolution? Israel doesn't want resolution and neither does America, (It's great having an American ally in the Middle East.) so there's not much chance of that. As for the Arabs, they had their land stolen from them by the British, who gave it to the Jews and they have every right to fight to get it back. Do you think if Germany had invaded Britain, people wouldn't have fought back. Of course they would.

Anyway, watching footy now. C'mon you Canaries.

android

Post by android » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm
As the Channel Four report points out, it is difficult to know exactly what happened in Tunisia, but of course, the Daily Mail went in all guns blazing.
Apparrently you believe the uncorroborated story, or choose to because ofyour political views. That doesn't mean you are right.
It was Corbyn himself who corroborated the story you daft apeth ! He corroborated his presence at the wreath laying for terrorists both in his original account of the event in the Morning Star in 2014 and then again in 2018 (when he was forced to correct his initial 2018 version of events).

You are far from alone in (even now!) seeking to deny the truth of this story, but it is comical the lengths some of you will go to.

As you said before, the Daily Mail reported it, so by definition it cannot be true. I doubt there is anything more I can add to this debate, so I'm off to celebrate Burnley being Premier League champions. The Daily Mail has reported Liverpool as the winners but I'm not having it. UTC.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 pm
No, I've never been to Israel and I've no wish to go. Religious zealots cause more trouble in the world than anyone else and I've no wish to meet any of them or help their tourist economy. I'm also an atheist who couldn't care less about so called religion.

Resolution? How many times have there been efforts at resolution? Israel doesn't want resolution and neither does America, (It's great having an American ally in the Middle East.) so there's not much chance of that. As for the Arabs, they had their land stolen from them by the British, who gave it to the Jews and they have every right to fight to get it back. Do you think if Germany had invaded Britain, people wouldn't have fought back. Of course they would.

Anyway, watching footy now. C'mon you Canaries.
And who did the Arabs take the land from.

Israel is the ancestral home of twelve tribes of Israel on both sides of The Jordan River.

Yes I agree that the occupied territories should be a separate Palestinian nation.

But Israel has more right to exist than the following:

All American countries,
Australia,
New Zealand
and others who have stolen land through Murder and theft.

Edit - Your facts are also incorrect.

Britain had promised both Arab independence and a national home for the Jewish people.

But Palestine was part of Ottoman Syria and not the home of Arabs - who in actual fact have throughout history been Nomadic people - although admittedly on their travels through The Arabian peninsula have spent time close to traditional Israeli territory.

So Palestine was never an Arab land until promised to them during World War I, as those Arab tribes were still Nomadic up until.

Palestinian Arabs have been living in Palestine since around the same time as modern day Jews.

If you want to return Israel and Palestine to the Turks, as they've probably got the strongest argument for most recent occupation then fair enough.

Also Israel gained Independence through civil uprising and armed conflict.

It wasn't handed it.

In fact both Jews and Arabs weren't happy with British Administered Palestine as they both wanted independent states.

What is modern Palestine was at one time the land of the Philistines.

And before the Philistines was Canaanite land.

Many others who occupied that land are sadly also confined to history, although some of them were known to practice child sacrifice.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 am
That's fine but also The African Slave Trade was long before the concept of Races and "Scientific Racism" emerged.

And misogyny was going on long before there was a concept and awareness of it. SO VERY TRUE

Surely it's possible for antisemitism to be in two categories of discrimination: ABSOLUTELY

Racism and Religious intolerance DEFINITELY

In it is.

Racial antisemitism THIS WAS ONLY RECOGNIZED BY THE UN IN 1998 I BELIEVE AS A TERM, RATIFIED IF YOU LIKE

Religious antisemitism OVER 2000 YEARS OF THIS

Remember antisemitic propaganda includes facial features

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_antisemitism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_antisemitism

It seems some think modern antisemitism is racial, some religious and some that they are inseparable. CAN TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT

Edit

So at the time of Richard I all antisemitism was based on the religion - Judaism (religious antisemitism) INDEED AND ALSO BY LUTHER

But later when some Jews converted to Christianity or became atheist and secular and were still victims of antisemitism it became racial antisemitism based on their supposed race - and were persecuted for how they looked and other stereotypical racial characteristics rather than what they believed. NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN LATER, THE JEWISH MASSACRE AT YORK WAS CERTAINLY RELIGIOUS MOTIVATED, AND LATER WHEN PERSECUTED BY LUTHER RELIGIOUS TEACHING

Most Nazi propaganda was racial antisemitism. AM NOT CONVINCED BY THIS ONE BUT NOT GOING TO DISAGREE, I THINK MUCH OF IT WAS FINANCIALLY MOTIVATED, GYPSY'S AND ROMAN CATHOLICS FELL IN THE SAME BUCKET, WAS MORE OF AN ARYAN WHITE RACE SUPERIORITY AND TAKING OUR COUNTRY BACK POLITICALLY MOTIVATED, I GUESS WHICH CAN ALSO DEFINITELY BE ATTRIBUTED TO RACE/RACISM.
END OF THE DAY, ALL BEEN THROUGH SOME FORM OF THEY ARE DIFFERENT, LET'S HATE THEM FOR IT AND HENCE ALONG WITH THE OTHERS I SUPPOSE THE CATCH ALL PHRASE WOULD BE XENOPHOBIA. ALL OF IT BEING WRONG BECAUSE SOMEONE IS DIFFERENT, HOWEVER ANOTHER STRANGE WORD AS IT'S NOT REALLY A PHOBIA I THINK

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm
And who did the Arabs take the land from.

Israel is the ancestral home of twelve tribes of Israel on both sides of The Jordan River.

Yes I agree that the occupied territories should be a separate Palestinian nation.

But Israel has more right to exist than the following:

All American countries,
Australia,
New Zealand
and others who have stolen land through Murder and theft.

Edit - Your facts are also incorrect.

Britain had promised both Arab independence and a national home for the Jewish people.

But Palestine was part of Ottoman Syria and not the home of Arabs - who in actual fact have throughout history been Nomadic people - although admittedly on their travels through The Arabian peninsula have spent time close to traditional Israeli territory.

So Palestine was never an Arab land until promised to them during World War I, as those Arab tribes were still Nomadic up until.

Palestinian Arabs have been living in Palestine since around the same time as modern day Jews.

If you want to return Israel and Palestine to the Turks, as they've probably got the strongest argument for most recent occupation then fair enough.

Also Israel gained Independence through civil uprising and armed conflict.

It wasn't handed it.

In fact both Jews and Arabs weren't happy with British Administered Palestine as they both wanted independent states.

What is modern Palestine was at one time the land of the Philistines.

And before the Philistines was Canaanite land.

Many others who occupied that land are sadly also confined to history, although some of them were known to practice child sacrifice.
OK, maybe my reading of history is not up to your level but your argument has nothing whatsoever to do with the title of this thread. I go back to my much earlier points. Why is it that we are allowed to criticise any country in the world for human rights abuses, EXCEPT Israel? And I'm not talking about the Israeli people, I'm talking about their government. The Israeli government regularly kills and maims Palestinian men women and children, but any criticism of that is met with 'Anti Semitism' claims, which it isn't.

The Labour Party's National Executive Committee long ago defined the difference, so why was Rebecca Long Bailey sacked when she has not criticised the people of Israel? Because Keir Starmer came out with this zero tolerance idea and felt he had to do something. Sacking RLB was wrong. I'm sure he realises that now and maybe we will find out if he's man enough to admit it in the next few days, or whether he's the new Tory Blair.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:47 pm

android wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm
It was Corbyn himself who corroborated the story you daft apeth ! He corroborated his presence at the wreath laying for terrorists both in his original account of the event in the Morning Star in 2014 and then again in 2018 (when he was forced to correct his initial 2018 version of events).

You are far from alone in (even now!) seeking to deny the truth of this story, but it is comical the lengths some of you will go to.

As you said before, the Daily Mail reported it, so by definition it cannot be true. I doubt there is anything more I can add to this debate, so I'm off to celebrate Burnley being Premier League champions. The Daily Mail has reported Liverpool as the winners but I'm not having it. UTC.
He was there, but not to honour terrorists. He was there to honour the people killed in an Israeli bombing. Anyway, define terrorist. Was Nelson Mandella a terrorist, or was he a freedom fighter? He and his ANC friends planted enough bombs and he ended up going to jail for it. What are people supposed to do when their land is taken from them? Were the French Resistence terrorists? After all, they killed a lot of people trying to get their own country back.

If you feel so strongly that Hamas (A democratically elected party) and the Palestinian people are terrorists, try living in their shoes for a year or two and I bet you change your mind.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Menachem Begin, terrorist or hero, George Washington, terrorist or hero, as someone said there is zero excuse for betrayal and revolution, unless you win.

Yasser Arafat, terrorist or hero

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 pm

To Caernarfon Claret, a lot of what you say there is wrong. The idea that Arabs were nomadic until World War 1 is just ridiculous. The Palestinians had settled farming communities in what is now Israel, they weren't nomads although there was a minority of Bedouins were and in some cases still are nomadic. You may also have overlooked the Arab cities of Cairo, Damascus and Baghdad. The inhabitants were and are Arabs but were hardly nomads. Similarly, Jerusalem was mainly inhabited by Arabs, Christian and Muslim. The Ottoman Turks had conquered those cities but the vast majority of their inhabitants were Arabs.

You are also wrong about the Jewish people not being handed the state of Israel. It was voted for by UN mandate which got through because the Soviet Union was boycotting the UN at the time and couldn't use its veto. If you want to understand the Israeli expansionism look at a map of the original UN partition and the borders of land controlled by Israel today. Many of the Palestinians who were living there at the time were forced out of their homes in 1947 and have never been allowed to return.

The Jewish people occupied Palestine up until about 130 CE when they were expelled by the Romans after the Bar Kokhba revolt. They only started to return in any significant numbers in the 20th century. At that time Palestinian communities that had been living there for centuries were dispossessed of their property on the basis of claim to the land based on ancient history.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:19 pm

UN? Wasn't it the League of Nations? bit fuzzy here so just a question

I believe the Arab League were opposed to the Israel deal, in terms of Arabs I would think you're both right that there were settlements and of course the nomadic tribes throughout much of what constitutes ME today excluding Iran. I have lived in quite a few ME countries and even though settled the nomads came through every year and had certain rights that caused mayhem for a while. However, I think its fair to say the region of Palestine and Israel were much more fertile land than the Gulf states and provided themselves as an area to cultivation and stability of the population much more. My history is a bit hazy here but I seem to remember the Israelis cultivating what was barren land and that also was part of the issues in terms of we worked the land. Lot like the wild west when settlers (nesters) started talking ranch lands and cultivating and bringing sheep in, just an analogy and not exactly the same.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am

android wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:21 pm
I didn't say Corbyn is not anti semitic. I just do not share the enthusiasm of the left for calling people I disagree with racists and liars. I said his anti semitic comments may have been a mistake and his sympathies with anti semites perhaps foolish and misguided (I don't think he is very intelligent) based on his genuine sense of grievance for the Palestinians. So, as I don't know him personally, I was not willing to call him racist given his general anti racism passion.

But your take then is this:

Clearly anti semitic sackable offences include:
1) Using the expression cultural Marxism
2) Using the word illuminati
3) Describing George Soros as being a remain supporter/funder
4) Using the words "north London metropolitan elite"

Clearly not anti semitic events with no case to answer include:
1) Pro-actively defending a mural depicting a caricature of hook nosed bankers oppressing the world. (The case for the defence was that Corbyn had not looked at it properly - a laughable defence given that he was not tripped up in an interview but had chosen to pro-actively go out of his way to question its removal)
2) Attending a wreath laying ceremony for terrorists dedicated to the destruction of Israel (Corbyn first denied being present. He then had to change his story when evidence to the contrary emerged. Had he been a Tory this would be called a lie. He decided he had been present but he "didn't think" he was involved).
3) Describing Jews born and living in Britain as not like the rest of "us" due to lacking a sense of irony and not sharing "our" sense of humour. (You decided this was fine in the context of him having apparently been heckled by people who did not share his take on the Palestinian situation).

I don't think you can top your previous idea of Boris deliberately setting out to kill with Covid half a million mainly Tory voting people but you are running it close here.
You make a lot of assumptions about what I think, and then apply double standards in what is like for like.

I pointed out anti Semitic incidences by Johnson and people around him. I didn’t call them “clearly sackable offences.” What I’ve given you is on public record. Whereas there has been criticism for these incidents by Jewish groups, there has been no clamour by senior Jewish figures for an investigation of the party into anti semitism, and the head of the board of deputies hasn’t counselled British Jews not to vote Tory. The reason in my opinion is simply political. A Corbyn government would have been a lot more critical of Israel than Johnson’s.

Contrasting your own relaxed attitude toward Johnson’s penned anti semitism, homophobia, racism, and vile opinions on working class life against the flimsy circumstantial evidence you claim damns Corbyn shows you have a two track system when it comes to determining right and wrong. You should at least be consistent.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 pm
OK, maybe my reading of history is not up to your level but your argument has nothing whatsoever to do with the title of this thread. I go back to my much earlier points. Why is it that we are allowed to criticise any country in the world for human rights abuses, EXCEPT Israel? And I'm not talking about the Israeli people, I'm talking about their government. The Israeli government regularly kills and maims Palestinian men women and children, but any criticism of that is met with 'Anti Semitism' claims, which it isn't.

The Labour Party's National Executive Committee long ago defined the difference, so why was Rebecca Long Bailey sacked when she has not criticised the people of Israel? Because Keir Starmer came out with this zero tolerance idea and felt he had to do something. Sacking RLB was wrong. I'm sure he realises that now and maybe we will find out if he's man enough to admit it in the next few days, or whether he's the new Tory Blair.
First off, I'd like to make an unreserved apology to you.

I believe the tone of some of my responses to you were not right.

I think you can criticize Israel without being Antisemitic but I think it's best first to understand the type of language that has been historically used by antisemites.

You have to be very good with your choice of wording, be very accurate, very specific and avoid generalized language.

As I say your letter to Kier I think was fine apart from the sentence about Jews in US government.

From my understanding it is a powerful lobbying group or groups acting within the law who put pressure on US governments - it's up to US government to say no to lobbying groups. Whether that's to do with gun control, Israel or anything else.

Edit

I stand by my belief that if there were multiple countries with a majority Jewish population and criticism was only directed against one you'd not get the accusation of antisemitism in response to such criticism.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:53 am

Erasmus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:58 pm
To Caernarfon Claret, a lot of what you say there is wrong. The idea that Arabs were nomadic until World War 1 is just ridiculous. The Palestinians had settled farming communities in what is now Israel, they weren't nomads although there was a minority of Bedouins were and in some cases still are nomadic. You may also have overlooked the Arab cities of Cairo, Damascus and Baghdad. The inhabitants were and are Arabs but were hardly nomads. Similarly, Jerusalem was mainly inhabited by Arabs, Christian and Muslim. The Ottoman Turks had conquered those cities but the vast majority of their inhabitants were Arabs.

You are also wrong about the Jewish people not being handed the state of Israel. It was voted for by UN mandate which got through because the Soviet Union was boycotting the UN at the time and couldn't use its veto. If you want to understand the Israeli expansionism look at a map of the original UN partition and the borders of land controlled by Israel today. Many of the Palestinians who were living there at the time were forced out of their homes in 1947 and have never been allowed to return.

The Jewish people occupied Palestine up until about 130 CE when they were expelled by the Romans after the Bar Kokhba revolt. They only started to return in any significant numbers in the 20th century. At that time Palestinian communities that had been living there for centuries were dispossessed of their property on the basis of claim to the land based on ancient history.
Thank you for correcting me.

And your knowledge there helps us all to understand some of the complex history.

But don't forget those Palestinian populations were under the control of different empires.

Surely those Empires had an influence.

I was thinking of The Bedouin in relation to staying nomadic up to 19th Century.

But I realize that large parts of what I say are likely to be inaccurate.

I'm a Scientist rather than historian.

I know how frustrating it is when people use science in an inaccurate and misleading way.

A lot of what I've said, particularly yesterday Is regrettable.

But at least you've corrected it.

I was trying to condense history, and in doing so missed stuff out that I actually know about and included things I obviously didn't know anything about.

Sorry.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 am

Imagine calling an organisation who told its members they should "kill Jews everywhere" freedom fighters
This user liked this post: Rowls

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am

Caernarfon, what a great post. You really have my admiration. Getting things factually right or wrong is a very small matter, but having the capacity to make admissions like that is evidence of an elevated mind.
This user liked this post: KateR

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 am

Erasmus wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am
Caernarfon, what a great post. You really have my admiration. Getting things factually right or wrong is a very small matter, but having the capacity to make admissions like that is evidence of an elevated mind.
Thank you I appreciate that.

Without going into too much detail.

I have ADHD

Which at times means I can be.

Impulsive
Lack Focus
Make mistakes through lack of attention to detail
Procrastinate
Be overly emotional
Make random comments that don't seem to fit a conversation.

Also suffer from severe anxiety and depression.
And don't really like confrontation.

On the plus side I tend to be a quick learner.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 am

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 am
First off, I'd like to make an unreserved apology to you.

I believe the tone of some of my responses to you were not right.

I think you can criticize Israel without being Antisemitic but I think it's best first to understand the type of language that has been historically used by antisemites.

You have to be very good with your choice of wording, be very accurate, very specific and avoid generalized language.

As I say your letter to Kier I think was fine apart from the sentence about Jews in US government.

From my understanding it is a powerful lobbying group or groups acting within the law who put pressure on US governments - it's up to US government to say no to lobbying groups. Whether that's to do with gun control, Israel or anything else.

Edit

I stand by my belief that if there were multiple countries with a majority Jewish population and criticism was only directed against one you'd not get the accusation of antisemitism in response to such criticism.
Thank you for your apology. It's acceptet in the same tone as it was given.

As for the US government. They protect Israel for the same reason they protect Saudi Arabia. Not for any noble reason or the oil in Saudis case, as some people belief, but for the strategically important foothold in the Middle East. Note that despite recent abuses, they haven't been too critical of Turkey either because they don't want to lose their huge air base at Incirlik. America's wars in the Middle East are nothing to do with oil, they are to do with protecting the Dollar as the worlds reserve currency. Iraq, Iran, and Tunisia all wanted to sell their oil in Euros and the Americans couldn't allow that to happen. If they had done and other countries followed suit, the Dollar would collapse even further than it already has and America, with all it's debts would become a third world country almost overnight. So they got rid of Iran and Tunisia's leaders and made Iran a pariah state.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:57 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 am
Thank you for your apology. It's acceptet in the same tone as it was given.

As for the US government. They protect Israel for the same reason they protect Saudi Arabia. Not for any noble reason or the oil in Saudis case, as some people belief, but for the strategically important foothold in the Middle East. Note that despite recent abuses, they haven't been too critical of Turkey either because they don't want to lose their huge air base at Incirlik. America's wars in the Middle East are nothing to do with oil, they are to do with protecting the Dollar as the worlds reserve currency. Iraq, Iran, and Tunisia all wanted to sell their oil in Euros and the Americans couldn't allow that to happen. If they had done and other countries followed suit, the Dollar would collapse even further than it already has and America, with all it's debts would become a third world country almost overnight. So they got rid of Iran and Tunisia's leaders and made Iran a pariah state.
Thank you.

Excellent post.

And nothing here that could be misconstrued as antisemitism.

Powerful reasoning.
Strongly argued.

android

Post by android » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am
You make a lot of assumptions about what I think, and then apply double standards in what is like for like.

I pointed out anti Semitic incidences by Johnson and people around him. I didn’t call them “clearly sackable offences.” What I’ve given you is on public record. Whereas there has been criticism for these incidents by Jewish groups, there has been no clamour by senior Jewish figures for an investigation of the party into anti semitism, and the head of the board of deputies hasn’t counselled British Jews not to vote Tory. The reason in my opinion is simply political. A Corbyn government would have been a lot more critical of Israel than Johnson’s.

Contrasting your own relaxed attitude toward Johnson’s penned anti semitism, homophobia, racism, and vile opinions on working class life against the flimsy circumstantial evidence you claim damns Corbyn shows you have a two track system when it comes to determining right and wrong. You should at least be consistent.
I was only comparing and contrasting things you have written Andrew. If you did not think that the Tory offences you mentioned were sackable then I do not understand why you said that "they were only not sacked because the Tories take a relaxed attitude to racism". Forgive me for assuming that meant you thought they should be sacked.

I did look at the link you posted to an election eve rallying letter to the Guardian (where else!) from Miriam Margoyles and others having a dig at Boris. I got to the line "a vote for the Conservatives is a vote for a far-right government that poses an existential threat to all minorities". I figured if someone was capable of writing something as idiotic as that, they probably had the same disregard for the truth in other parts of their letter and examined it no further.

And thanks for telling me I struggle with knowing right from wrong. The moral certainty and superiority of the left never ceases to amaze.

I'm sure the Tory "offences " you listed are on public record. How I am supposed to get excited about someone using the word "Illuminati" or any of the other things you mentioned I just don't know! The cancel culture has reached bonkers levels and the right way of liberal thinking gets narrower by the day. And yet - ironically - it's now happened to one of your own - RLB has got the cancel treatment that the left always shout for. I don't know much about Jonathan Pie and he doesn't come across as my cup of tea but a piece he has just done on this subject titled "woke utopia" is amusing and on point (sorry I'm not good with links).

As for evidence - it's time for me to withdraw and leave it to others to decide whether your list or my list is flimsy.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 pm

IMG_20200628_171702.jpg
IMG_20200628_171702.jpg (169.71 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Away from the battle ground of who and what is antisemitic Damo what are your thoughts on Benjamin Netanyahu plan to annex around 30% of the West Bank?

Lisa Nandy has spoken out about it and from what I have seen has been very careful about the language used but im interested to see the reaction to this and where peoples support lies in this situation.

I really hope we see universal condemnation from the UK on this with a careful tone to try and make it clearly about the actions of the Israeli govt and the oppression of the Palestinian people and not let it become just a political battle between the left and right where the event itself becomes secondary to winning the argument

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Away from the battle ground of who and what is antisemitic Damo what are your thoughts on Benjamin Netanyahu plan to annex around 30% of the West Bank?

Lisa Nandy has spoken out about it and from what I have seen has been very careful about the language used but im interested to see the reaction to this and where peoples support lies in this situation.

I really hope we see universal condemnation from the UK on this with a careful tone to try and make it clearly about the actions of the Israeli govt and the oppression of the Palestinian people and not let it become just a political battle between the left and right where the event itself becomes secondary to winning the argument
I'm unwilling to discuss or criticise it, for fear of being branded racist and losing my job being banned from social media etc.
Welcome to 2020 and the brave New world created by a few sensitive folk from the Internet
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 pm

Damo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm
I'm unwilling to discuss or criticise it, for fear of being branded racist and losing my job being banned from social media etc.
Welcome to 2020 and the brave New world order created by a few sensitive folk from the Internet
If you, genuinely, believe that feeling unable to speak freely through fear of retribution, and the subsequent ostracism, you'd receive , is simply down to "a few sensitive folk from the Internet." Then you have more, much more, to learn.

For now, we're experiencing the tyranny of the minority.

The greatest of all tyrannies is that of the prevailing orthodoxy.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:42 am

android wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm
I was only comparing and contrasting things you have written Andrew. If you did not think that the Tory offences you mentioned were sackable then I do not understand why you said that "they were only not sacked because the Tories take a relaxed attitude to racism". Forgive me for assuming that meant you thought they should be sacked.

I did look at the link you posted to an election eve rallying letter to the Guardian (where else!) from Miriam Margoyles and others having a dig at Boris. I got to the line "a vote for the Conservatives is a vote for a far-right government that poses an existential threat to all minorities". I figured if someone was capable of writing something as idiotic as that, they probably had the same disregard for the truth in other parts of their letter and examined it no further.

And thanks for telling me I struggle with knowing right from wrong. The moral certainty and superiority of the left never ceases to amaze.

I'm sure the Tory "offences " you listed are on public record. How I am supposed to get excited about someone using the word "Illuminati" or any of the other things you mentioned I just don't know! The cancel culture has reached bonkers levels and the right way of liberal thinking gets narrower by the day. And yet - ironically - it's now happened to one of your own - RLB has got the cancel treatment that the left always shout for. I don't know much about Jonathan Pie and he doesn't come across as my cup of tea but a piece he has just done on this subject titled "woke utopia" is amusing and on point (sorry I'm not good with links).

As for evidence - it's time for me to withdraw and leave it to others to decide whether your list or my list is flimsy.
I don’t think RLB should have been sacked, but her transgression wasn’t as serious as those I’ve picked out from the Tory Party, which is why I pointed out that the Tory Party is intensely relaxed about anti semitism within its own ranks, as well as other forms of hatred. I wouldn’t even say Johnson or the others should be sacked for their use of antiSemitic language, but they should certainly acknowledge and apologise for it, and undergo training to address it.

This is where I think you’re dealing in double standards. You’ve been quite insistent that Corbyn is either antiSemitic himself or has enabled it among people around him, and this is based not on things he’s said or written, but of circumstantial evidence and against all the things he’s done for Jewish people in and outside his community, his links with Jewish groups, and the many Jewish people who support him, not to mention the nonsensical idea that a man who has campaigned against racism, war and violence would secretly harbour hatred for Jews, and would honour terrorists (when he was there to commemorate those who died as a result of a bomb attack). If you’re still going to insist Corbyn is antiSemitic, then by your own reasoning Johnson (with a history of writing hateful things, and pictured honouring Astor’s memory (she was an appalling antiSemite)), Mogg, Braverman, Patel, and Gove should also be called out for actually writing or saying antiSemitic things. I’m not claiming to be morally superior to you. I’m assuming your horror at the various expressions of antiSemitism by Labour Party members was motivated by abhorrence of antisemitism. So now I’ve pointed out some examples on the Tory front bench, you can uphold your moral authority by expressing horror at that.

Since you appear to think shouting “illuminati” at Jewish MPs isn’t serious, here’s an expert on that subject:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-institut ... illuminati

“Cultural Marxism” comes straight from Nazi Germany, and perpetuated by extreme right opinion formers. It should be worrying to everyone how much the language of the far right has come in to common use on the “mainstream right“ and perhaps that’s what the Jewish academics referred to in their letter, which you deemed unreadable. But then I’ve never seen you rebuke anyone for calling Labour “far left” so perhaps you can only see one side of the coin?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 am

Damo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 pm
IMG_20200628_171702.jpg
Is Sir Keir going to sack himself for taking the knee to a profoundly anti-semetic organisation ?

We know who wins this battle of lefty top trumps.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:17 am

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am

claretandy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 am
Is Sir Keir going to sack himself for taking the knee to a profoundly anti-semetic organisation ?
I presume therefore you think Ben Mee should be sacked for his comments after the Man City match.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am
I presume therefore you think Ben Mee should be sacked for his comments after the Man City match.
Ben Mee said something anti-semetic :o

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:50 am

KateR wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 pm
Menachem Begin, terrorist or hero, George Washington, terrorist or hero, as someone said there is zero excuse for betrayal and revolution, unless you win.

Yasser Arafat, terrorist or hero
Yasser Arafat, murdered by the Americans, with the assistance of Israel, when they were supposedly taking him to hospital in Paris to help him. (Now verified by the way.) He was poisoned with Plutonium.

The American government is the biggest terrorist organisation on the planet, yet everyone seems to think it's OK when THEY kill people.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm

claretandy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 am

We know who wins this battle of lefty top trumps.
Take us through what is anti Semitic about the (alleged) BLM statement.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Damo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 pm
IMG_20200628_171702.jpg
Please tell me the BLM thing /quote is fake ? If they ( or their uk “ branch” hint at far left politics it’s gonna undo a lot of good intentions and could backfire spectacularly with the mainstream

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:50 am
Yasser Arafat, murdered by the Americans, with the assistance of Israel, when they were supposedly taking him to hospital in Paris to help him. (Now verified by the way.) He was poisoned with Plutonium.

The American government is the biggest terrorist organisation on the planet, yet everyone seems to think it's OK when THEY kill people.
Have you ever seen "The Fog of War" documentary on Robert Strange McNamara?

For those who don't know he was U.S. Secretary of Defense (1961-1968)

Talks candidly about the mistakes made during Vietnam War.

I'm thinking of it because you've got me thinking of the way the US has interfered internationally throughout the last century.

I know it's (The Fog of War) not linked to antisemitism.

Also the documentaries of Adam Curtis worth watching even if you disagree with him.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm
Have you ever seen "The Fog of War" documentary on Robert Strange McNamara?

For those who don't know he was U.S. Secretary of Defense (1961-1968)

Talks candidly about the mistakes made during Vietnam War.

I'm thinking of it because you've got me thinking of the way the US has interfered internationally throughout the last century.

I know it's (The Fog of War) not linked to antisemitism.

Also the documentaries of Adam Curtis worth watching even if you disagree with him.
I haven't read 'The fog of war' but I'm aware of it's contents and plenty of other dirty tricks by the American governments over the years. The Gulf of Tonkin incident for one that triggered the Vietnam war. https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-hi ... out-tonkin

What a lot of people don't know was that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbour was the result of the US imposising draconian sanctions on Japan that almost starved the country. The Japanese knew that they would lose the war but even so, felt they were left with no choice.

There's a long. long list of American dirty tricks but most people only read the headlines put out by the right wing press and form their opinions that way.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm
I haven't read 'The fog of war' but I'm aware of it's contents and plenty of other dirty tricks by the American governments over the years. The Gulf of Tonkin incident for one that triggered the Vietnam war. https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-hi ... out-tonkin

What a lot of people don't know was that Japan's attack on Pearl Harbour was the result of the US imposising draconian sanctions on Japan that almost starved the country. The Japanese knew that they would lose the war but even so, felt they were left with no choice.

There's a long. long list of American dirty tricks but most people only read the headlines put out by the right wing press and form their opinions that way.
My memory of the documentary film "The Fog of War" when in WW2 McNamara was part of US intelligence he was using his mathematical brain to device the most efficient ways of bombing the enemy, causing most disruption and in Japan - leading up to use of Nuclear bombs - the use of incendiary bombs to destroy Japanese cities by fire.

I haven't watched it for years but have it on DVD.

In regard to Vietnam - saying that the US should have used empathy - understanding how the common people of Vietnam were think about French colonialism...

I enjoyed watching Adam Curtis' " The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" again years ago so don't remember everything clearly.

You might not agree but very well put together archive footage.

Three Part series from 2004 on BBC

Synopsis for Part 1 (from Wikipedia)

Part 1. "Baby It's Cold Outside"
The first part of the series explains the origins of Islamism and neoconservatism. It shows Egyptian civil servant Sayyid Qutb, depicted as the founder of modern Islamist thinking, visiting the U.S. to learn about its education system, then becoming disgusted at what he judged as the corruption of morals and virtues in western society through individualism. When he returns to Egypt, he is disturbed by westernisation under Gamal Abdel Nasser and becomes convinced that in order to save his own society, it must be completely restructured along the lines of Islamic law while still using western technology. He then becomes convinced that his vision can only be accomplished through use of an elite "vanguard" to lead a revolution against the established order. Qutb becomes a leader of the Muslim Brotherhood and, after being tortured in one of Nasser's jails, comes to believe that western-influenced leaders can be justifiably killed to remove their corruption. Qutb is executed in 1966, but he influences Ayman al-Zawahiri, the future mentor of Osama bin Laden, to start his own secret Islamist group. Inspired by the 1979 Iranian revolution, Zawahiri and his allies assassinate Egyptian president Anwar Al-Sadat in 1981 in the hopes of starting their own revolution. However, the revolution does not materialise, and Zawahiri comes to believe that a majority of Muslims have been corrupted, not only by their western-inspired leaders, but Muslims themselves have been affected by jahilliyah and thus may be legitimate targets of violence if they refuse to join his cause. They continued to believe that a vanguard was necessary to rise up and overthrow the corrupt regime and replace it with a 'pure' Islamist state.

At the same time in the United States, a group of disillusioned liberals, including Irving Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz, look to the political thinking of Leo Strauss after the perceived failure of President Johnson's "Great Society". They conclude that an emphasis on individual liberty was the undoing of Johnson's plans. They envisioned restructuring America by uniting the American people against a common evil, and set about creating a mythical enemy. These factions, the neoconservatives, came to power during the 1980s under the Reagan administration, with their allies Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. They alleged that the Soviet Union was not following the terms of a disarmament treaty between the two countries, and together with the outcomes of "Team B", they built a case using dubious evidence and methods to prove it to Ronald Reagan.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm
Take us through what is anti Semitic about the (alleged) BLM statement.
Good grief, you are that far down the rabbit hole that we can't see your feet anymore.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm
My memory of the documentary film "The Fog of War" when in WW2 McNamara was part of US intelligence he was using his mathematical brain to device the most efficient ways of bombing the enemy, causing most disruption and in Japan - leading up to use of Nuclear bombs - the use of incendiary bombs to destroy Japanese cities by fire.

I haven't watched it for years but have it on DVD.

In regard to Vietnam - saying that the US should have used empathy - understanding how the common people of Vietnam were think about French colonialism...

I enjoyed watching Adam Curtis' " The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" again years ago so don't remember everything clearly.

You might not agree but very well put together archive footage.

Three Part series from 2004 on BBC

Synopsis for Part 1 (from Wikipedia)

Part 1. "Baby It's Cold Outside"
The first part of the series explains the origins of Islamism and neoconservatism. It shows Egyptian civil servant Sayyid Qutb, depicted as the founder of modern Islamist thinking, visiting the U.S. to learn about its education system, then becoming disgusted at what he judged as the corruption of morals and virtues in western society through individualism. When he returns to Egypt, he is disturbed by westernisation under Gamal Abdel Nasser and becomes convinced that in order to save his own society, it must be completely restructured along the lines of Islamic law while still using western technology. He then becomes convinced that his vision can only be accomplished through use of an elite "vanguard" to lead a revolution against the established order. Qutb becomes a leader of the Muslim Brotherhood and, after being tortured in one of Nasser's jails, comes to believe that western-influenced leaders can be justifiably killed to remove their corruption. Qutb is executed in 1966, but he influences Ayman al-Zawahiri, the future mentor of Osama bin Laden, to start his own secret Islamist group. Inspired by the 1979 Iranian revolution, Zawahiri and his allies assassinate Egyptian president Anwar Al-Sadat in 1981 in the hopes of starting their own revolution. However, the revolution does not materialise, and Zawahiri comes to believe that a majority of Muslims have been corrupted, not only by their western-inspired leaders, but Muslims themselves have been affected by jahilliyah and thus may be legitimate targets of violence if they refuse to join his cause. They continued to believe that a vanguard was necessary to rise up and overthrow the corrupt regime and replace it with a 'pure' Islamist state.

At the same time in the United States, a group of disillusioned liberals, including Irving Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz, look to the political thinking of Leo Strauss after the perceived failure of President Johnson's "Great Society". They conclude that an emphasis on individual liberty was the undoing of Johnson's plans. They envisioned restructuring America by uniting the American people against a common evil, and set about creating a mythical enemy. These factions, the neoconservatives, came to power during the 1980s under the Reagan administration, with their allies Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. They alleged that the Soviet Union was not following the terms of a disarmament treaty between the two countries, and together with the outcomes of "Team B", they built a case using dubious evidence and methods to prove it to Ronald Reagan.
And we all know about the US's use of the term 'Weapons of mass destruction' when they decided to invade Iraq. People need to remember that the US was perfectly happy to have Saddam Hussein in charge when he was suppressing his own people and Iran. The thing that changed their mind was Saddam's threat to sell his oil in Euros instead of Dollars. If he'd been allowed to do that, the rest of the Middle East may well have followed suit and if that had happened, the Dollar's place as the world's reserve currency may have come to an abrupt end. They couldn't risk that happening as foreign countries buying worthless Dollars is the only thing that keeps America afloat.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm
And we all know about the US's use of the term 'Weapons of mass destruction' when they decided to invade Iraq. People need to remember that the US was perfectly happy to have Saddam Hussein in charge when he was suppressing his own people and Iran. The thing that changed their mind was Saddam's threat to sell his oil in Euros instead of Dollars. If he'd been allowed to do that, the rest of the Middle East may well have followed suit and if that had happened, the Dollar's place as the world's reserve currency may have come to an abrupt end. They couldn't risk that happening as foreign countries buying worthless Dollars is the only thing that keeps America afloat.
I feel you are demonstrating a bias against America and not an unconscious one, is this true?