Investor

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Re: Investor

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:06 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Fair point, given our success you can’t argue the board haven’t got the balance somewhat right but Dyche doesn’t seem to agree. I’d like us to be more free in the market though, we have a massive fall back regardless with the value of Mcneil Tarkowski Pope Taylor and Wood, that is our security, the ability to sell those 5 for well over £100M.
Dyche is obviously frustrated. Maybe we've fallen short on some deals through the board's reluctance to loosen the purse strings slightly which I can understand would be frustrating. However, I can't help but feel that Dyche is looking after his own interests more than the club's with his recent comments.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 pm
I don't think anyone is asking for (or expects us to get) an investor to the extent of Man City or Chelsea but just enough money to help maintain our status with the natural growth of wages and fees. It's very important that the current Directors still play a major role in running the club but without investment we won't be a Premier League club for very much longer given the current financial strain at the club.
And where is this altruistic investor supposed to come from? An investor is a person hoping to make a return on their investment, That eventually means taking money out of the club. At the moment, we have a board that has taken very little out of the club but put a lot of money and effort into it. I think our current board are fantastic and long may they remain in charge.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:06 pm
And where is this altruistic investor supposed to come from? An investor is a person hoping to make a return on their investment, That eventually means taking money out of the club. At the moment, we have a board that has taken very little out of the club but put a lot of money and effort into it. I think our current board are fantastic and long may they remain in charge.
Hopefully the Middle East or America ;)

I understand why people make investments and that they don't just give money away. My point is that there has to be a balance between the money involved and a knowledge of the club/town and it's history from the people at the top. Using Bournemouth as an example again, whilst being bankrolled by the Russian has clearly helped them to push the boundaries with fees and wages, it hasn't been a obscene investment which has been highlighted by how many other football fans don't even realise they are backed at all.

There's absolutely no doubt that the current Board/Chairman have done an incredible job. However, it is increasingly obvious that without investment we will be relegated fairly soon as the current set-up are struggling to 'keep up' with the financial power of the Premier League.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm
Hopefully the Middle East or America ;)

I understand why people make investments and that they don't just give money away. My point is that there has to be a balance between the money involved and a knowledge of the club/town and it's history from the people at the top. Using Bournemouth as an example again, whilst being bankrolled by the Russian has clearly helped them to push the boundaries with fees and wages, it hasn't been a obscene investment which has been highlighted by how many other football fans don't even realise they are backed at all.

There's absolutely no doubt that the current Board/Chairman have done an incredible job. However, it is increasingly obvious that without investment we will be relegated fairly soon as the current set-up are struggling to 'keep up' with the financial power of the Premier League.
It's 'Obvious' that we'll be relegated? I just don't understand where you get that idea from. We are a mid to upper division established PL club that is currently having a few local difficulties due to Covid 19. (As are other clubs.) There is no reason why we can't strengthen the squad in the summer and go again. Just because we now have a manager who appears impatient, doesn't mean he'll leave if he doesn't get his way.

Anyway, I believe that the situation at Burnley has already been resolved, otherwise, I don't think Bardsley would have re signed. Maybe Sean has been given certain assurances, who knows? I don't and I doubt that you do either, so let's just see what happens over the summer eh?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm
It's 'Obvious' that we'll be relegated? I just don't understand where you get that idea from. We are a mid to upper division established PL club that is currently having a few local difficulties due to Covid 19. (As are other clubs.) There is no reason why we can't strengthen the squad in the summer and go again. Just because we now have a manager who appears impatient, doesn't mean he'll leave if he doesn't get his way.

Anyway, I believe that the situation at Burnley has already been resolved, otherwise, I don't think Bardsley would have re signed. Maybe Sean has been given certain assurances, who knows? I don't and I doubt that you do either, so let's just see what happens over the summer eh?
I actually answered your question in the very same sentence - just after the word "obvious". I think the Premier League is growing faster than we can financially cope and we now have a mini rebuilding job on our hands this summer which we may struggle to financially facilitate. Or at least they are the noises coming out of the club right now.

I wish I was as confident as you that all has been resolved because a 35 year old full back has re-signed for a further 12 months.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm

To be honest, you can't spend 9 million a season in the premier league and have a sustained life. Especially considering most premier league players are valued over 9mill. We are almost back to being a selling club albeit in the top league. That is the harsh reality. I can only see us funding this window by eating away the reserves or selling Tarks.
Say we use the 40mill reserve and get the 4-5 required. With the ooc players gone we will probably still be around the same wage mark as you can't see replacements coming in for less. This means unless we sell again we are unlikely to post any profit next year and more worrying the reserves have gone. This leaves us then with no kitty for transfers albeit value still in assets.
While it's a little disheartening, consider for a moment we were doing this to survive in the championship never mind the premier league.
Investment is needed, finding the right investment however is the problem.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 pm
I don't think anyone is asking for (or expects us to get) an investor to the extent of Man City or Chelsea but just enough money to help maintain our status with the natural growth of wages and fees. It's very important that the current Directors still play a major role in running the club but without investment we won't be a Premier League club for very much longer given the current financial strain at the club.
When phrased like that it sounds pretty reasonable. In reality though we'd probably be looking at racking up a hundred million or so of debt if we were looking at a noticeable difference from where we are now.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Would we really want to be like Wolves, City, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Bournemouth or Newcastle (potentially), beholden to an individual or country of very dubious standing? Personally, I would find it very hard to take if Burnley were taken over by Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or some exiled Russian oligarch. As it is said, 'What profiteth a team if it gains the whole world, but loses its own soul.' I don't want any of them near Burnley, however rich they may be. Better to play in the lower divisions.
This user liked this post: ClaretPope

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32415 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Anyway, I believe that the situation at Burnley has already been resolved, otherwise, I don't think Bardsley would have re signed.
Do you really?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 am
The board clearly have the line between being sensible and handicapping ourselves right don’t they. Look at our league position and our bank balance. They couldn’t have got that balance more right over the past few seasons.

If we made a net spend of £20m more per season then we’d have a marginally better squad but we’d be leaving ourselves with nothing to fall back on. We’d quickly find ourselves in trouble if relegated. Is that a risk worth taking to finish one or two positions higher in the league which brings negligible reward?
we are a couple of injuries away from fielding youth team players as we speak - the squad needs beefing up considerably for sure in the summer to give Dyche half a chance of retaining our status the following year.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm
Do you really?
Yes, I really, really do.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm
we are a couple of injuries away from fielding youth team players as we speak - the squad needs beefing up considerably for sure in the summer to give Dyche half a chance of retaining our status the following year.
I agree. But we’re only in this situation due to the unforeseen pandemic. Hendrick, Lennon and Hart would have seen the season out otherwise. We need to bring a few players in but the situation isn’t as drastic as some make out. We’re probably just 3 players short of having a competitive squad.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm
I agree. But we’re only in this situation due to the unforeseen pandemic. Hendrick, Lennon and Hart would have seen the season out otherwise. We need to bring a few players in but the situation isn’t as drastic as some make out. We’re probably just 3 players short of having a competitive squad.
not sure Riley, I personally think we needed at least 1 more creative/pacey player than what we had this season - I think we will need 4 at the standard required, 3 to replace what's going out and 1 to add

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm
If we had to sell those five, we'd soon be propping up League 2.
What a load of nonsense, if worst came to worst and we were relegated, we have assets like those 5 to sell. We have sold/lost better players (Trippier & Ings) spring to mind and been just fine. You’re acting like we wouldn’t replace those five either, drama queen.
This user liked this post: Braindead

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:23 pm
Would we really want to be like Man City and Chelsea?

Better to play in the lower divisions.
Hahahahahaha sorry what? you would rather our club played in the lower leagues than compete and win the biggest prizes football clubs can win? :lol:

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 pm
What a load of nonsense, if worst came to worst and we were relegated, we have assets like those 5 to sell. We have sold/lost better players (Trippier & Ings) spring to mind and been just fine. You’re acting like we wouldn’t replace those five either, drama queen.
If we had to sell them, how would we replace them? If we had the money, we wouldn't be selling in the first place.

I've been called a lot of things in my life but 'Drama Queen' is a new one. That's soooooooooooo funny.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 pm
If we had to sell them, how would we replace them? If we had the money, we wouldn't be selling in the first place.

I've been called a lot of things in my life but 'Drama Queen' is a new one. That's soooooooooooo funny.
You just said we’d be propping up League Two if we sold 5 players....

The same way we’ve always sold and replaced players, sell Tark for £40M, bring in a replacement for £10M.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 pm
You just said we’d be propping up League Two if we sold 5 players....

The same way we’ve always sold and replaced players, sell Tark for £40M, bring in a replacement for £10M.
Don't you listen to Sean? He says players like that are no longer available.

I don't want to fall out with anyone so let's just agree to differ on this.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 pm

If we sold tarkowski for 40m I would be going all out for Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic. Perfect replacement.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 am

from one of the match reports in Tuesday's papers regarding Dyche

"It is becoming easier by the match to understand why he has become frustrated to the point of evidently being willing to leave. The mystery is why, across eight years of watching him punch above his weight, the club's hierarchy will not broaden their ambitions enough to placate him. Losing him will surely prove far more costly than an enhanced transfer strategy."

Spot on imho
This user liked this post: DCWat

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 am

I don't think fans of any team that's received the right investment would go back to pre investment. The problem is just getting it right.

You won't hear many Leicester and Wolves fans moaning about losing the soul of their club when they are doing so well in the league.

We have such potential with a great manager. We could really do a lot better if a deal can be made with the right terms.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:22 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 pm
Don't you listen to Sean? He says players like that are no longer available.

I don't want to fall out with anyone so let's just agree to differ on this.
We do have a habit of unearthing gems. Brownhill a case in point. He was immense last night and showed glimpses against Watford. It's not ideal to be scrabbling about for like for like replacements at bargain basement prices but I do believe SD would be able to, with support; replace the likes of Tarkowski and Pope with players who could step up. Finding a replacement for McNeil would be the difficult one.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Nixon
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.25.02 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.25.02 AM.png (59.79 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Nixon
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.25.02 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.25.02 AM.png (59.79 KiB) Viewed 3099 times

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 pm

This is in the daily mail

"Swirling around in the background – and the reason why no commitments have been made – is the suggestion that Burnley will be sold to a Middle East buyer this summer and that how the future looks will be dependent on whoever that buyer might be."

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 pm

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 pm

"Swirling around in the background – and the reason why no commitments have been made – is the suggestion that Burnley will be sold to a Middle East buyer this summer and that how the future looks will be dependent on whoever that buyer might be."
That will get some burnley fans choking on their supper

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 pm

To keep at the same level will cost more and not the same as before. To maintain it or progress more will require outside investment. Is Garlick doing the right thing to not spend more and accept the inevitable or find an investor who can ?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 pm

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 pm

So, are we saying Newcastle can't have Sean Dyche, so Saudi's are going to buy Sean and Burnley FC, instead? ;)

Or, maybe it's Qatar buying Burnley so that they can get their own back on BeOutQ pinching their BeIN games? ;)

UTC

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm

I'm sure the Qataries that owned psg were meant to be buying Leeds subject to their promotion. Imagine if they bought us instead and got us to the summit of the PL. Those horse botherers will be spitting venky chicken feathers :lol: we can all dream....

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 pm
So, are we saying Newcastle can't have Sean Dyche, so Saudi's are going to buy Sean and Burnley FC, instead? ;)

Or, maybe it's Qatar buying Burnley so that they can get their own back on BeOutQ pinching their BeIN games? ;)

UTC
If you take what Nixon is saying, plus this article, then the board are actively seeking outside investment.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm
I'm sure the Qataries that owned psg were meant to be buying Leeds subject to their promotion. Imagine if they bought us instead and got us to the summit of the PL. Those horse botherers will be spitting venky chicken feathers :lol: we can all dream....
Close links between the Qataris who own BeIN Media and the Leeds owner who owns Eleven sports

As for dreams - pretty sure mine do not involve a state of any kind taking ownership of Burnley FC

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm

Maybe Mike Ashley will be looking for a new project if and when the Saudi deal goes ahead 😎

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Maybe Mike Ashley will be looking for a new project if and when the Saudi deal goes ahead 😎
We would have even less to spend as our commercial Income would drop - a lot sponsorship would go to sport direct

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:27 pm

I hear Vincent is on the lookout for a new club ...
Attachments
C68A0173-3237-4C61-B299-E03DBF410BD8.jpeg
C68A0173-3237-4C61-B299-E03DBF410BD8.jpeg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 2808 times

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:27 pm
I hear Vincent is on the lookout for a new club ...
Marvellous - red instead of claret isn’t too big a swap and the east Lancashire dragons does have a ring to it.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 pm
Close links between the Qataris who own BeIN Media and the Leeds owner who owns Eleven sports

As for dreams - pretty sure mine do not involve a state of any kind taking ownership of Burnley FC
I dream to win things, there's no point in being interested in football otherwise however unrealistic it may seem. When I first started going to matches in the 90s I dreamt of the premier league and that seemed unrealistic at the time.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Whispers from within the club that a takeover is at an advance stage

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:40 pm

MRG wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Careless whispers from who?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 pm

Are you sure? I thought that the tea lady was furloughed.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 pm

We are being bought out by Twix, ground to re-named Twix Moor, definitely not Whispa
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 pm

MRG wrote:
Source?

MRG

Post by MRG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 pm
Source?
Somebody in a senior management position. As you can imagine, with something like a takeover the whole accounts team are involved in pulling reports etc.

Majority of the staff are aware of it and it’s being received quite positively, it’s seen as the club progressing.

The one thing that is bothering me is if what I’m being told is true, why is SD kicking off when he knows the situation unless he is setting his stall out for the new owners

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm

MRG wrote:
I have no reason to disbelieve you/this but why would Dyche be so critical of the board if he thought new owners were coming in.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm
I wish I was as confident as you that all has been resolved because a 35 year old full back has re-signed for a further 12 months.
Wilfred Zaha rates him! :D

MRG

Post by MRG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm
I have no reason to disbelieve you/this but why would Dyche be so critical of the board if he thought new owners were coming in.
Exactly the question that I raised above and I can’t answer it

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 pm

There is an interview with our new CEO stating that they intended to be chasing investment from the East / Asia, I wonder how many other football clubs will be doing the same? US investors would be better as long as they are financially secure due to US sport have a long tradition with the franchise model.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 pm

MRG wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm
Somebody in a senior management position. As you can imagine, with something like a takeover the whole accounts team are involved in pulling reports etc.

Majority of the staff are aware of it and it’s being received quite positively, it’s seen as the club progressing.

The one thing that is bothering me is if what I’m being told is true, why is SD kicking off when he knows the situation unless he is setting his stall out for the new owners

Sounds promising. Maybe they have come in with a serious offer and the board initially rejected so dyche is using his influence to force the deal through? Could be exciting times ahead.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 pm

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:08 pm
If you take what Nixon is saying, plus this article, then the board are actively seeking outside investment.
Let's hope so. If not, we know where we will be in 10 years.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 pm

If it's not from the USA then it more likely to end in tears for us all.

MRG

Post by MRG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 pm
If it's not from the USA then it more likely to end in tears for us all.
It’s not from the USA