Wood Must Start V Liverpool

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Re: Wood Must Start V Liverpool

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 am

I'm normally full of optimism but this Liverpool side will beat us. No point risking any of the players who are getting back to full fitness, we are going to need them in the final 3 matches.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:55 am

Not saying he should come in for Vydra but Wood is our best striker. Simple as that.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 am
I'm normally full of optimism but this Liverpool side will beat us. No point risking any of the players who are getting back to full fitness, we are going to need them in the final 3 matches.
Sorry but it’s another chance for 3 points as Watford proved, the team we have beaten twice....

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 am

To have any chance we need one of the front men to be highly mobile, popping up in the potential spaces behind taa and Robertson. There's not much point pinning your efforts on somebody consistently beating van dyke.
My vote goes to vydra.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am

I'd probably suggest starting with neither Wood nor Vydra at Liverpool, and giving McNeil the freedom to play off Jay, with JBG coming in on the right hand side if he's fit.

daveyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by daveyclaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 am

Respect the loyalty for Vydra and no-one can deny his recent contributions.There has been much constructive comments Lets not forget the 3 recent victories out of 5 have been v the bottom 6 clubs. We are playing the European Champs who also walked away with the PL this season.Very physical at the back and in midfield and electric at breaking.We will be up against 70-80% possession by the reds.If we manage to get the ball in their half we will need someone to hold it, and Wood is our best player and outlet at this, and a very good additional defender for free kicks and corners.He generally doesn't get muscled out If I am honest I fear if Vydra starts he will be hawled off at half time, which does nothing for his confidence. A tough decision for the manager , and thats what hes paid for doing

I've watched nearly all of Liverpool's games in the restart. Their defence has not been convincing in the games I saw. In the home game with Villa, what few occasions that Villa played in the Liverpool half, they stretched the Liverpool defence by playing the ball into the space left by Trent Alexander on his forays in the Villa half but Villa didn't really create a decent chance. It was 0-0 at half time and Liverpool eventually won 2-0 after bringing on Henderson and Firmano in the second half. Henderson may not play tomorrow as he was injured at Brighton. Even though Liverpool won 1-3 at Brighton, Brighton had chances to score at 0-1 and 0-2 and did make it 1-2. The first two goals scored by Liverpool came from Brighton errors.

Liverpool are certainly favourites to win but if the Clarets play like they have in the last 2 away games, I don't think a home win is a forgone conclusion and that Clarets couldn't get a point.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 pm

daveyclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 am
Respect the loyalty for Vydra and no-one can deny his recent contributions.There has been much constructive comments Lets not forget the 3 recent victories out of 5 have been v the bottom 6 clubs. We are playing the European Champs who also walked away with the PL this season.Very physical at the back and in midfield and electric at breaking.We will be up against 70-80% possession by the reds.If we manage to get the ball in their half we will need someone to hold it, and Wood is our best player and outlet at this, and a very good additional defender for free kicks and corners.He generally doesn't get muscled out If I am honest I fear if Vydra starts he will be hawled off at half time, which does nothing for his confidence. A tough decision for the manager , and thats what hes paid for doing

I've watched nearly all of Liverpool's games in the restart. Their defence has not been convincing in the games I saw. In the home game with Villa, what few occasions that Villa played in the Liverpool half, they stretched the Liverpool defence by playing the ball into the space left by Trent Alexander on his forays in the Villa half but Villa didn't really create a decent chance. It was 0-0 at half time and Liverpool eventually won 2-0 after bringing on Henderson and Firmano in the second half. Henderson may not play tomorrow as he was injured at Brighton. Even though Liverpool won 1-3 at Brighton, Brighton had chances to score at 0-1 and 0-2 and did make it 1-2. The first two goals scored by Liverpool came from Brighton errors.

Liverpool are certainly favourites to win but if the Clarets play like they have in the last 2 away games, I don't think a home win is a forgone conclusion and that Clarets couldn't get a point.
It's also a fact that Wood is very unlikely to get a sniff against Van Dyke, he's just too slow, wheras Vyds might just escape his clutches long enough to score himself, or set someone else up.

Vyds starts with J Rod for me.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:06 pm

I doubt that it will make much difference to us, but Jordan Henderson is out for the rest of the season with the injury he picked up against Brighton.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 am
Sorry but it’s another chance for 3 points as Watford proved, the team we have beaten twice....
I would love you to be right!!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Not sure being right is relevant tbh. I haven’t said we will get 3 points just that it is not a foregone conclusion. They were quite poor defensively at Brighton and we are better at defending than Brighton.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Think Dyche will start with the same 11 as against West Ham.
And probably bring Wood on in the second half, possibly also JBG.

Whatever, we're unlikely to get much from the game albeit a point
would set us nicely for the Wolves game at home.
A point at Anfield and a win against Wolves would put us in a pretty good
position and (depending on how Spurs, Arsenal and Sheff. United fare)
a good chance of finishing top 8 or even higher.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:00 pm

loving the optimism :)

so much better than doom and gloom.