England vs West Indies 1st Test (Southampton)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: England vs West Indies 1st Test (Southampton)

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Bess back in the hutch now, made just 3, 278-7, lead 164, not enough i feel.

Pope quickly follows 279-8, lead 165 with not much to come, remember England were 249-3, so that's 30-5 since then, this team always have a collapse waiting around the corner, and it's happened again, Windies back favourites now to knock this target off relatively easily.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm

284-8 at the close, i can't see the lead of 170 being enough, if the last couple of wickets could add 40/50 then we might have a game, but that last hour has put the Windies in prime position to win this test.

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:20 pm
Summer's here, cue an England batting collapse, 249-3 becomes 265-6, lead of only 151, need at least another 50 from the lower order, Buttler failing again when the pressure was on. Not much to come after this pair, so the onus is on them.
If England want five bowlers.Moeen Ali needs to play.and Jos Butler. great one day player but not good enough for test match cricket.and how old is Joe Denly.may as well play someone younger

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 pm

wembley94 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm
If England want five bowlers.Moeen Ali needs to play.and Jos Butler. great one day player but not good enough for test match cricket.and how old is Joe Denly.may as well play someone younger
Yes hopefully an order of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope can actually score some runs though. We have never been good at batting for years.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:20 pm

wembley94 wrote:
The England management have some tough calls to make, whether we win or lose this game, the plus is Crawley's innings, that should cement his place for a while.just a shame he couldn't go on to a ton, but he showed he can play at this level, i agree on Buttler & Denly, how many chances do they need, it wasn't the fact Denly got out, any batsman can get out, but what alarmed me was the manner of his dismissal, and it happens too often to be a coincidence, he sticks around gets to 20/30, and then he'll find a daft way of getting himself out, and yes he's 34, if we are serious about building towars the Ashes, then we need to look at younger players, and why both Archer & Wood are playing in English conditions baffles me, i can understand going with 2 out-and-out quicks at Perth, but not in England, and Archer especially has bowled poorly, Wood has toiled away, and been slightly unlucky not to pick up more than the one wicket. How comes in is another question, i'd look at young Sam Curran, he rarely lets England down, and he can contribute with both bat and ball, England have a long tail in this game, and it's shown.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:35 pm

wembley94 wrote:
Rather see Rashid play

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Agreed Tiger, chief selector has made a pig's ear in his choices here. This is the weakest, inexperienced England batting line up in a long time. Buttler should follow Bairstow to the one day slog fest, Denly only gets a game because he is a mate of Ed Smith and Wood and Archer are both unproven 5 day cricketers. This West Indies side is far from a good one, both nations have suffered by the pre-occupation for white ball cricket. Test cricket is something different.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Still backing England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

wembley94

Post by wembley94 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:26 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Yes hopefully an order of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope can actually score some runs though. We have never been good at batting for years.
I'll add to the list Moeen Ali and Ben Foakes

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:51 am

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:07 pm
Still backing England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
England could yet win this match, but even if they do there's still lots of :?: marks in both the batting and bowling departments.

The positives are Burns, Crawley & Sibley look like solid top order test players, and they'll be around for years to come, Denly's got to go, he's 34 and we need to get fresh blood in there, Root will return next week, and he should bolster the top 4.

Stokes will score runs, the bigger problem is number 6 and below, Pope's had a poor game, Buttler failed again in a pressure cooker situation, even a useful 30/40 yesterday would have changed the course of the game, but just like Bairstow he keeps getting clean bowled due to his poor technique, you might get away with that in white-ball cricket, but in a test match you'll be found out if your technique's lacking.

And the bowling was poor for the most part, Jimmy and the spinner did OK, as did the skip, but Archer and Wood bowled far too short on this pitch, don't they pay attention to what the other side do to get success, Jason Holder just kept an off stump line, dried up the runs, and the wickets followed, our quicks need too learn patience is required in the 5 day game, there will be spells where the batsman are on top, and you have to bowl with accuracy and control, sadly neither Archer or Wood worked this simple concept out, it's fine sending down 95 MPH thunderbolts, but if the batsman doesn't have to play, then it's not effective, how difficult is it for international bowlers to send down 6 balls an over, where the batsman has to judge whether to play or whether to leave, if you can do that for the 3-4 overs, you've got every chance of the batsman nicking one, or leaving one that he should have played at.

Over the 4 days the West Indies have applied the basics, bat long, bowl straight, and show application in both fields, that's why they are likely to win this test match.

Oh! and the small matter of Stokes choosing to bat under leaden skies in the first 2 days, you'd think England would be able to assess the overhead conditions and weather forecast, but apparently even that's beyond their wits.

It's only 4 days, but on the evidence I've seen, England are going to struggle on their next 2 winter tours, only a couple of easy jaunts to India and Australia.

The selectors have to be ruthless, let's cut out the deadwood, who've had it far too cushy for years, Buttler, Denly should have played their last tests. Archer and Wood need a quick up the pants, and dropping them might give them that.

My XI for OT

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Foakes
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
Dom Bess
Broad
Anderson

That's what i'd go with, Foakes, S Curran & Woakes have never let England down when called upon. and with that batting line-up, the lower order might not get blown away as quickly, You've got to play the spinner at OT, and Bess hasn't done a lot wrong, he scored useful runs in the 1st innings, and he's bowled pretty well.
This user liked this post: Stevie2112

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:57 am

I agree with everything you have written above Tiger76.Absolutely spot on analysis imo

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:36 am

Wood gone for 2, brings the Burnley Lara to the middle, useful runs here though the leads nearing 200, another 15-20 from this pair, and who knows.

At least England have given themselves a chance.

Why aren't they calling the no-balls, they're miles over the line.

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:39 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:51 am
England could yet win this match, but even if they do there's still lots of :?: marks in both the batting and bowling departments.

The positives are Burns, Crawley & Sibley look like solid top order test players, and they'll be around for years to come, Denly's got to go, he's 34 and we need to get fresh blood in there, Root will return next week, and he should bolster the top 4.

Stokes will score runs, the bigger problem is number 6 and below, Pope's had a poor game, Buttler failed again in a pressure cooker situation, even a useful 30/40 yesterday would have changed the course of the game, but just like Bairstow he keeps getting clean bowled due to his poor technique, you might get away with that in white-ball cricket, but in a test match you'll be found out if your technique's lacking.

And the bowling was poor for the most part, Jimmy and the spinner did OK, as did the skip, but Archer and Wood bowled far too short on this pitch, don't they pay attention to what the other side do to get success, Jason Holder just kept an off stump line, dried up the runs, and the wickets followed, our quicks need too learn patience is required in the 5 day game, there will be spells where the batsman are on top, and you have to bowl with accuracy and control, sadly neither Archer or Wood worked this simple concept out, it's fine sending down 95 MPH thunderbolts, but if the batsman doesn't have to play, then it's not effective, how difficult is it for international bowlers to send down 6 balls an over, where the batsman has to judge whether to play or whether to leave, if you can do that for the 3-4 overs, you've got every chance of the batsman nicking one, or leaving one that he should have played at.

Over the 4 days the West Indies have applied the basics, bat long, bowl straight, and show application in both fields, that's why they are likely to win this test match.

Oh! and the small matter of Stokes choosing to bat under leaden skies in the first 2 days, you'd think England would be able to assess the overhead conditions and weather forecast, but apparently even that's beyond their wits.

It's only 4 days, but on the evidence I've seen, England are going to struggle on their next 2 winter tours, only a couple of easy jaunts to India and Australia.

The selectors have to be ruthless, let's cut out the deadwood, who've had it far too cushy for years, Buttler, Denly should have played their last tests. Archer and Wood need a quick up the pants, and dropping them might give them that.

My XI for OT

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Foakes
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
Dom Bess
Broad
Anderson

That's what i'd go with, Foakes, S Curran & Woakes have never let England down when called upon. and with that batting line-up, the lower order might not get blown away as quickly, You've got to play the spinner at OT, and Bess hasn't done a lot wrong, he scored useful runs in the 1st innings, and he's bowled pretty well.
Too soon to give up on Pope
He plays ahead of Curran for me
Like Woakes he's a good all round cricketer
There's also a case for Moeen Ali but like you say Bess hasn't done alot wrong
Denly finished I think especially with Crawley coming good with bat

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 am

Pope maybe could keep his place yes, an on form Moeen would be a great asset to this England side, but when did he last show form.

If the winter tour goes ahead, then there will be spinning slots up for grabs, so Mo could yet come back into the England frame.

Useful knock from Jofra this morning a breezy 23, sets the Windies exactly 200 to win, and yet another not out for Jimmy.

But whatever the result today, the test side needs a shake up, there's too many in the comfort zone, and they need a wake up call.

I can't work out the thinking, if we're preparing for the Ashes then why was Denly playing, unless that was due to Root being missing. but although Denly tries his hardest, he's never totally convinced at this level, and his shot yesterday at a crucial stage of the proceedings, was the final straw for me.

wembley94

Post by wembley94 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:51 am

My XI for OT

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Foakes
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
Dom Bess
Broad
Anderson

Not sure about needing six bowlers

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Archer strikes early, both he and Anderson are bowling the right length this innings, that's why the WI batsman are struggling.

Campbell's gone off injured, are they allowed to replace him or not, i guess not as it occurred during the match, and isn't corona related, he might have to hobble back out there later on, if it's a tight finish.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:30 pm

2 for Jofra it's amazing what happens when you bowl full and straight, i'd cut the short stuff out today Jof and just keep it simple.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Foakes should never have lost is place
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Wicket for Wood 35-3 at lunch, England might yet dig themselves out of a hole, but it only takes one decent partnership, and the Windies are right back in the game.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm
Foakes should never have lost is place
I never understood what Foakes did wrong, he averages over 40 in tests, and he's a decent keeper, and yet the selectors have persisted with Bairstow and Buttler, this is my point about a cushy clique mentality.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:34 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:09 pm
I never understood what Foakes did wrong, he averages over 40 in tests, and he's a decent keeper, and yet the selectors have persisted with Bairstow and Buttler, this is my point about a cushy clique mentality.
Every side in the world would try and get Buttler in their team. Such a talent that can take a game away from anyone very quickly.
We need to work out a plan to get more out of him though.

Good bowling this morning. A good days play expected.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:09 pm
I think that Foakes is rather better than a "decent" keeper. He's vastly superior to Buttler and Bairstow. (I seem to recall that he lost his place through injury initially - though I might be wrong)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Good partnership this, England need a breakthrough soon, 77-3, Blackwood's been dropped twice, that could be very costly, and now Chase dropped by the keeper, catches win matches, and dropped catches cost matches, that sums up why Buttler shouldn't be in the side, it wasn't easy but you have to take those at test level.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:49 pm

I agree that Foakes should be behind the stumps. He's our best keeper by far and I bet his Test batting average is on a par with Bairstow and Buttler anyway.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Getting sloppy England.

3 dropped catches and a simple run out missed.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:54 pm

This games in danger of slipping away from England, how many catches are they going to spill, the Burns one would have been a no ball anyway, but that's not the point, you've still got to grab them first, and ask questions later.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:49 pm
I agree that Foakes should be behind the stumps. He's our best keeper by far and I bet his Test batting average is on a par with Bairstow and Buttler anyway.
Foakes hasn't played anywhere near as much test cricket as the other two, but his bating average is quite a bit better than both.
Buttler 31, Bairstow 34, Foakes 41.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:19 pm

Jofra strikes 109-4, Blackwood still there, and if he sticks around for the next hour, then the West Indies will probably win.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:36 pm

128-4 50 for Blackwood, he's played really well in testing circumstances, Jofra's putting his back into it, but the Windies must be favourites unless a couple of quick wickets fall.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:59 pm

143-4 at tea Blackwood leading the West Indies to victory it seems, they only need 57 more.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Dowrich out of a no ball, sums up England's test match, he's out immediately after, but they only require 32 more, i can't see England rescuing this now.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm

Deserved victory for the WI, they just edged it over the 5 days, and Blackwood's innings was the difference, shame he didn't complete his ton.

Now let's see how the England camp respond, will they make the changes that are needed?, or will they continue to pick the failures?.

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 pm

I would hope the changes needed will be made.Buttler and Denly have to go,Root coming back in and move Crawley up to three,and Foakes in for Buttler.Also,either Archer or Wood for Broad.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Outplayed in every department.

Denly will be replaced by Root.
Broad will come in for Wood (even though I think both bowlers would prefer the other ground they were picked for).

I can't see them making 3 changes with nobody else actually playing cricket at the moment.

Not trusting the spinner to bowl much on day 5 doesn't bode well either.

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Stevie2112 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 pm
I would hope the changes needed will be made.Buttler and Denly have to go,Root coming back in and move Crawley up to three,and Foakes in for Buttler.Also,either Archer or Wood for Broad.
Nailed it
Think Wood will be the one rested for Broad especially after Archers bowling in the 2nd innings
I would like to see Woakes back in but can't see it happening