Harrison Reed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RBFC
Been Liked: 5 times

Harrison Reed

Post by RBFC » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Burnley are interested in Southampton midfielder Harrison Reed following his excellent season on loan in the Championship.

The 25-year-old has spent the season on loan at Fulham and has played a key role in their promotion tilt under Scott Parker.

And his performances have caught the eye of a number of clubs, with Burnley among the teams to have closely monitored Reed this season.

Fulham are still in with a shout for automatic promotion heading into the final day of the Championship season, but seem likely to have to rely on the play-offs.

But with Reed due to go back to St Mary's once Fulham's season is over, his long-term future will become an issue during the close season.

Reed previously had loan spells with Norwich and Blackburn.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ulham.html

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Harrison Reed

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 am

he's played for Blackburn, he'll need to go into quarantine first
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Hendrickxz bob-the-scutter

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 am

He ticks a lot of boxes.

Only 25
OOC in 2021
He can play Defensive mid, centre mid, or right mid.

If we could nab him for a decent fee i'd be very happy, sounds like we'll have competition for him though.

I'd rather we pursued players with his profile, than waste money on the Adam Lallana types.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Middle-agedClaret

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 am

He hasn't played right midfield for Fulham all season. Defensive already like Cork and Westwood. No thanks.

I'd rather us sign a more attacking or rounded player and a proper winger.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:39 am

Also played full back at Norwich. A small squad needs a versatile player. Having seen him at Norwich a few times plus the fact the fans loved him, I’d say he’d be a decent signing.
These 2 users liked this post: BenWickes ZizkovClaret

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:55 am

Pearcey wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:39 am
Also played full back at Norwich. A small squad needs a versatile player. Having seen him at Norwich a few times plus the fact the fans loved him, I’d say he’d be a decent signing.
Better worded than I was going to write. If he is versatile and competent at full-back or defensive midfield. It allows us to concentrate on the key areas such as right-wing, centre-half. Rather than having to cast our net and attentions further for another two/three players when we can sign a squad player who can cover a few positions. My only concern would be he's not been deemed good enough for Southampton but that could just be down to who is ahead of him in their squad.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 am

Signed him once on Football Manager, was alreyt.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2064 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:30 am

BenWickes wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:55 am
My only concern would be he's not been deemed good enough for Southampton but that could just be down to who is ahead of him in their squad.
Don't let that worry you. Every time a Southampton player is linked with a move away they're always £25m plus price tags.
They have just struggled to get the best out of them until these last few months.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 am

He’s a really good player. Been one of Fulham’s best players this season.

He actually reminds me of Westwood. He has that little bit of bite in midfield and he covers a lot of ground. Looks to have good technical ability also

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 am
He hasn't played right midfield for Fulham all season. Defensive already like Cork and Westwood. No thanks.

I'd rather us sign a more attacking or rounded player and a proper winger.

Westwood - defensive?

One of the top performing attacking midfielders over the past 2 years

But he is good in defence too!
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:35 am

Has potential but how do these stories get out in the open, and versatility is a key factor for us

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 am
He ticks a lot of boxes.

Only 25
OOC in 2021
He can play Defensive mid, centre mid, or right mid.
and probably cheap?

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:43 pm

I haven't see him playing for Fulham this year, because he was out for most of it with a calf injury, and I certainly didn't watch him at Blackburn. However, I did watch him quite few times when he was with Norwich and it's no wonder they didn't sign him. He was awful back then.

Right age profile and he is definitely hard working. Southampton have consistently loaned him out to teams that play with three in midfield. I find that particularly interesting, because playing effectively in a three man Championship midfield is a lot easier than playing as part of a two man midfield in the EPL. He might have improved a lot since his time at Norwich, but I doubt he has improved enough to do a good job for us. Brownhill was a standout Championship player, but Reed didn't strike me as having the potential to be that.

At Norwich he struggled quite bit in central midfield and he was pretty dire out on the right or at right back. If his time with Blackburn was similar to his time at Norwich he probably played in those last two positions after losing his spot in midfield, before finding his rightful place sitting on their bench. In terms of versatility, demonstrating the ability to play below the acceptable standard in multiple positions isn't a box ticker.

Looking at the Fulham line ups and results, they have primarily played him as a defensive midfielder ( which makes sense ). His best position is as a holding midfielder, sweeping up the ball and passing it on. In the games following the lock down his natural fitness levels and industrious nature will have benefitted his performances. I can imagine him being in his element against teams containing a lot of tired players.

I suspect he will be cheap, because Southampton have been trying to off load him for quite awhile now. Being in the last year of his contract just means that he will be available for nothing at the end of next season. Even if he is available for a couple of million his wage would add up over time. More importantly he would fill up a slot ( for what could be a long contract ), which would prevent us from signing someone who could actually improve us. He could easily turn out to be something of a long time burden.

Despite the misleading appeal of versatility I think Reed is cut out for one role in one framework. Saying that, he might have turned into a superstar since I last saw him, but I doubt it.

For my money, Matt O'Riley is the Fulham midfielder we should be looking at. He is out of contract at the end of this season and he turned down the offer of a new three year contract last month. He is probably after regular game time which could be a sticking point, because I think he has a way to go before he can lay claim to a first team shirt.

Turfy Topper
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by Turfy Topper » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm

So we should sign a player that can't get in the Fulham side, and which EPL team plays with just 2 midfielders?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Turfy Topper wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm
So we should sign a player that can't get in the Fulham side, and which EPL team plays with just 2 midfielders?

I wouldn't read too much into lurkers comments, he disagrees with any player we are linked with as he has his own knowledge. When linked with Pope and Tarkowski he would have offered up some random name who would be better.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Proper FM signing

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Can we dig up the thread when we were first linked with Scott Arfield ? or Ashley Barnes, or Nick Pope ?

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm
I wouldn't read too much into lurkers comments, he disagrees with any player we are linked with as he has his own knowledge. When linked with Pope and Tarkowski he would have offered up some random name who would be better.
With all due respect I don't do random names, even though people might not be aware of some players I mention.

Looking back I pushed for us to look at John Mc Ginn, I was super enthusiastic about signing Brownhill, I advocated a Nahki / Eze swap before Eze came to prominence and most of the cheap players I've mentioned on here have gone to good clubs and done well.

Obviously I will favour my own suggestions a bit, I wouldn't suggest them if I thought they were crap. However, I'm also a realist and I accept the possibility of us signing any of the players that I mention is slim to none. I tend to go for players that I think will be cheap in relation to how good they are and what they might add to our team. That being the case, not many of them will appear on the list of any recruitment team that is infatuated with easy to spot headline grabbing stats.

Considering the level of investment we have pumped into our recruitment over the last two years we should be awash with links to any number of quality players who could be expected to be available for reasonable prices. Players who are much better than Reed, although I did point out that I haven't seen him play since he was at Norwich, so he could have improved enormously.

All that we seem to be getting is the usual, its tough, we will cross our fingers, wait and see mantra. After tripling the size of our recruitment team with full time staff dedicated to finding us talent I should be surprised by the hidden gems and overlooked players we are turning up.

I shouldn't really be commenting on " forever on loan journeymen " I should be commenting that I've seen player x and he is good or left wondering who is that. Pope and Tarkowski were good players before we signed them, even though they have improved hugely with us.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Turfy Topper wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm
Sorry, I meant two central midfielders :)
This user liked this post: Turfy Topper

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:07 pm

If people are expecting more than squad fillers this transfer window then I fear they're going to be disappointed. Apart from maybe right midfield you could name the team that will start our first game of the season now.
These 2 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker rob63

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:14 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:07 pm
If people are expecting more than squad fillers this transfer window then I fear they're going to be disappointed. Apart from maybe right midfield you could name the team that will start our first game of the season now.
Nods, but there is an important difference between squad fillers that could develop into first team players of the future and squad fillers that will never be anything but squad fillers.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm
With all due respect I don't do random names, even though people might not be aware of some players I mention.

Looking back I pushed for us to look at John Mc Ginn, I was super enthusiastic about signing Brownhill, I advocated a Nahki / Eze swap before Eze came to prominence and most of the cheap players I've mentioned on here have gone to good clubs and done well.

Obviously I will favour my own suggestions a bit, I wouldn't suggest them if I thought they were crap. However, I'm also a realist and I accept the possibility of us signing any of the players that I mention is slim to none. I tend to go for players that I think will be cheap in relation to how good they are and what they might add to our team. That being the case, not many of them will appear on the list of any recruitment team that is infatuated with easy to spot headline grabbing stats.

Considering the level of investment we have pumped into our recruitment over the last two years we should be awash with links to any number of quality players who could be expected to be available for reasonable prices. Players who are much better than Reed, although I did point out that I haven't seen him play since he was at Norwich, so he could have improved enormously.

All that we seem to be getting is the usual, its tough, we will cross our fingers, wait and see mantra. After tripling the size of our recruitment team with full time staff dedicated to finding us talent I should be surprised by the hidden gems and overlooked players we are turning up.

I shouldn't really be commenting on " forever on loan journeymen " I should be commenting that I've seen player x and he is good or left wondering who is that. Pope and Tarkowski were good players before we signed them, even though they have improved hugely with us.
You wanted
Kyle Bartley,
Sam Clucas,
Sam larsson (who is now in china at the age of 27),
Diego Rolan (striker who has scored 5 goals in last 3 seasons)
and thought we should have been in for Tom Lawrence

just a snippet from a page of suggestions. Picking 100 players 2-3 should come good I guess

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm

I like the fact that people express different opinions, especially those I have never heard of or seen, as is the case here, it's only an opinion after all.
These 3 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker superdimitri rob63

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:43 pm
I haven't see him playing for Fulham this year, because he was out for most of it with a calf injury, and I certainly didn't watch him at Blackburn.
Probably don't give a long-winded, detailed view of him then....?

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:53 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 pm
You wanted
Kyle Bartley,
Sam Clucas,
Sam larsson (who is now in china at the age of 27),
Diego Rolan (striker who has scored 5 goals in last 3 seasons)
and thought we should have been in for Tom Lawrence

just a snippet from a page of suggestions. Picking 100 players 2-3 should come good I guess
Rolan was available on a free transfer at the time I first mentioned him. He subsequently signed a new contract and he was then ravaged by injuries. He was still sold for £3.5m which would have covered most of his cost on a free transfer and wages.

Should we have paid 10m for Majeed Waris a player I voiced negative opinons about instead?

Larsson wasn't great for Feyenoord, but they sold him for £1m more than they paid for him. That will have taken the sting out of his wages.

I argued against the signing of Clucas and Swansea paid £14.5m for the quick privilege of selling him to Stoke for half that amount. A lot of people on here were all for him.

I think Kyle Bartley is a good player who has done well for West Brom at £4m and despite what you might think of him Tom Lawrence is doing okay at Derby and holding his value.

So even my some of my worst picks weren't that bad and I did highlight them as speculative punts. My success rate would also be a lot higher if i didn't purposefully restrict myself to highlighting players that I suspect will be available for low transfer fees.
Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm
I did say I watched him at Norwich and that he might have improved considerably since then.

... besides

it looks like this rumour originated with Football Insider who seems to be working over time to throw up speculative links by trawling through the list of players we have previously been linked to.

Anyway, after letting Pritchard slip through their fingers when his loan ended ( and choosing to sign two super expensive French flops instead ) Fulham will be probably be going all out to sign Reed if he really is all that and a bag of chips.

Like KateR said, this is a discussion forum and agreement with another persons opinion isn't compulsory. It is just an opinon.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 am
Defensive already like Cork and Westwood. No thanks.
Cork and Westwood are 31 and 30. We need to be looking at replacements.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:33 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm
I like the fact that people express different opinions, especially those I have never heard of or seen, as is the case here, it's only an opinion after all.
How dare you. This is a discussion forum after all :lol:

Seems some people just can't help themselves.
This user liked this post: KateR

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm

I agree with the post about Cork and Westwood’s ages, however Brownhill looks like a great addition and covers one of those spots, having said that it would be nice to have the next one in line already with us.

John Swift would have been a decent signing on a relatively low fee from Reading but it looks like he’s off to Sheffield United for £3.5m.

There’s so many names that I’d look at this summer but you’d have to say that the domestic market will be the one shopped in as per and the numbers will likely be low. We’ve not done badly in the past , I would just like some younger blood in this window to set us for the future, I.e. players 28 or younger preferably .
This user liked this post: rob63

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm

We've been linked with Reed a few times now. I've seen him on telly a few times for Fulham this season and he's looked good in a defensive midfield role. Covers the ground very well, nips in with interceptions and has a good pass on him when he wins the ball back. I'm sure there are better players out there but at Burnley we look for a mix of good ability and good character.

Only thing is Southampton already look resigned to losing Hoibjerg this summer so may be reluctant to let another one out.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm

I would be pretty happy with this signing. would come in as fourth choice and is most likely a direct Hendrick replacement

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

If we sign him and he's as good as Brownhill then I'd be happy with our midfield going into next season

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:00 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:53 pm
Rolan was available on a free transfer at the time I first mentioned him. He subsequently signed a new contract and he was then ravaged by injuries. He was still sold for £3.5m which would have covered most of his cost on a free transfer and wages.

Should we have paid 10m for Majeed Waris a player I voiced negative opinons about instead?

Larsson wasn't great for Feyenoord, but they sold him for £1m more than they paid for him. That will have taken the sting out of his wages.

I argued against the signing of Clucas and Swansea paid £14.5m for the quick privilege of selling him to Stoke for half that amount. A lot of people on here were all for him.

I think Kyle Bartley is a good player who has done well for West Brom at £4m and despite what you might think of him Tom Lawrence is doing okay at Derby and holding his value.

So even my some of my worst picks weren't that bad and I did highlight them as speculative punts. My success rate would also be a lot higher if i didn't purposefully restrict myself to highlighting players that I suspect will be available for low transfer fees.

I did say I watched him at Norwich and that he might have improved considerably since then.

... besides

it looks like this rumour originated with Football Insider who seems to be working over time to throw up speculative links by trawling through the list of players we have previously been linked to.

Anyway, after letting Pritchard slip through their fingers when his loan ended ( and choosing to sign two super expensive French flops instead ) Fulham will be probably be going all out to sign Reed if he really is all that and a bag of chips.

Like KateR said, this is a discussion forum and agreement with another persons opinion isn't compulsory. It is just an opinon.
Opinions are fine, but when you criticise every player we are linked with and throw up a list of others who would be better it becomes more and agenda (ala Rigg) than an opinion. As for your picks not that bad, if we sign 4 or 5 in the summer and none work out but we manage to make a million on each player I look forward to you congratulating them on their choices

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:16 am

Never seen the lad play but Norwich fans seemed to like him and he got player of the month there at least once.

Brownhill looks like he can cover the CM roles aswell as out wide. I think we need to be looking at a new wide player personally....or if we do go for a CM a more attacking / creative one. There’s some decent players in those championship play off teams which should be in and around our price bracket.
Though getting someone of the quality of Lallana on a “free” would be even better IMHO and even paying him £60k / £70k a week on say a 3 year deal is going to work out cheaper than spending a Hendrick / Brady or even Brownhill type transfer fee with wages of a couple of million a year on top.
This user liked this post: superdimitri

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm
We've been linked with Reed a few times now. I've seen him on telly a few times for Fulham this season and he's looked good in a defensive midfield role. Covers the ground very well, nips in with interceptions and has a good pass on him when he wins the ball back. I'm sure there are better players out there but at Burnley we look for a mix of good ability and good character.

Only thing is Southampton already look resigned to losing Hoibjerg this summer so may be reluctant to let another one out.
My initial thought was lazy journalism because we’ve been linked before. Not watched him myself, so thanks for the summary.

Can’t understand why Soton would loan him though? Returning from injury?

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:36 am

TVC15 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:16 am
Never seen the lad play but Norwich fans seemed to like him and he got player of the month there at least once.

Brownhill looks like he can cover the CM roles aswell as out wide. I think we need to be looking at a new wide player personally....or if we do go for a CM a more attacking / creative one. There’s some decent players in those championship play off teams which should be in and around our price bracket.
Though getting someone of the quality of Lallana on a “free” would be even better IMHO and even paying him £60k / £70k a week on say a 3 year deal is going to work out cheaper than spending a Hendrick / Brady or even Brownhill type transfer fee with wages of a couple of million a year on top.
He was also very well liked at Rovers! Sometimes a good gauge of a player is from the fans that have been watching him every week.

Agree with entirely everything you say after that as well.
This user liked this post: TVC15

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm
I take it you’re not familiar with long time lurkers posts?

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am

Bertiebeehead wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am
I take it you’re not familiar with long time lurkers posts?
All too familiar, unfortunately..

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Just been listening to a Fulham fan and a Brentford fan discussing prospects next year. The Fulham fan's priority was signing Harrison Reed.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm

if money is going to be limited then I'd prefer we spent it on a creative type to take some of the burden off Dwight. Our midfield of Jack Cork, Westwood and Brownhill is decent enough, we can't rely on Brady or JBG because of their injury history - so a creative wide player should be our priority this summer

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 pm

I'm not sure why Long Time Lurker is getting grief on this thread. He seems pretty knowledgeable about potential targets. He's offering an in depth opinion. If you don't want to read his opinion then it's not a big deal

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm
if money is going to be limited then I'd prefer we spent it on a creative type to take some of the burden off Dwight. Our midfield of Jack Cork, Westwood and Brownhill is decent enough, we can't rely on Brady or JBG because of their injury history - so a creative wide player should be our priority this summer
well the money is certainly limited.
I think we have a squad of 20 currently (plus under 21s), We are almost certain to sign a back-up 'keeper. So we have places for 4 senior players.
I guess we need a right winger to replace Lennon, a midfielder as back-up for Cork/ Westwood, a CB improvement on Jimmy Dunne. One other option?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 pm

I wonder if Jensen will step up to be 3rd choice keeper ?