This generation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

This generation

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Been a bit disappointing don’t you think?

Recently reassured by Her Majesty that we would prove again how resolute, reliable and resilient the British people would show as per previous generations, I felt maybe we would do just that.

We haven’t though have we?

We have blatantly ignored every opportunity we have had to show that we care about the big picture.....Instead, we have listened to the advice given, and heard what we have wanted to hear, and just done our own thing. Partied, raved and drunk ourselves into folklore.... when previous generations have behaved with honour and discipline to ensure we prevailed through the toughest of times, this generation has just minced it’s way to it’s next outdoor party.
Those that came before us fought off the threat of Nazi Germany, by just getting amongst it, sacrificing their own short term needs for the good of the nation and beyond.... this generation couldn’t last a few months without kicking off. Mard arses, the lot of em.

Some scrote in the shop today loudly yelling the shop assistant how he wasn’t wearing a mask due to him having asthma.... it restricted his breathing. Yeah mate, like COVID-19 won’t? You utter Mong, the rules are there to protect you... you should be wearing TWO face masks with your health issues. What do you do? Go outside and spark a fag up....

This generation had an opportunity to show how much it cared for itself, but it’s failed miserably imho.
These 8 users liked this post: Vegas Claret mdd2 nyclaret JohnMac St Austell Claret RalphCoatesComb UnderSeige KateR

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Re: This generation

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Recently reassured by Her Majesty that we would prove again how resolute, reliable and resilient the British people would show as per previous generations, I felt maybe we would do just that.

We have blatantly ignored every opportunity we have had to show that we care about the big picture.....Instead, we have listened to the advice given, and heard what we have wanted to hear, and just done our own thing. Partied, raved and drunk ourselves into folklore.... when previous generations have behaved with honour and discipline to ensure we prevailed through the toughest of times, this generation has just minced it’s way to it’s next outdoor party.
Those that came before us fought off the threat of Nazi Germany, by just getting amongst it, sacrificing their own short term needs for the good of the nation and beyond.... this generation couldn’t last a few months without kicking off. Mard arses, the lot of em.

Some scrote in the shop today loudly yelling the shop assistant how he wasn’t wearing a mask due to him having asthma.... it restricted his breathing. Yeah mate, like COVID-19 won’t? You utter Mong, the rules are there to protect you... you should be wearing TWO face masks with your health issues. What do you do? Go outside and spark a fag up....

This generation had an opportunity to show how much it cared for itself, but it’s failed miserably imho.
There’s no denying we have plenty of idiots. I’d wager we had just as many, proportionately, during the war years. Deserters, crooks, idiots - we just don’t give them the press that the deserving receive.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:46 pm

I think the mistake you're making is assuming there were far fewer idiots around during WW2 because you were not there to witness them.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Some agreement with OP but as DC stated not all were clean
There was a thriving black market and some local businesses in the food trade made a lot of money from it.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 pm

....RULES DE NATION!!
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Vegas Claret

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 pm
Some agreement with OP but as DC stated not all were clean
There was a thriving black market and some local businesses in the food trade made a lot of money from it.
Any local businesses in particular?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 pm

Classifying people by generations rarely provides any decent insight. There's good and bad, tough and soft, dicks and legends in every generation.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone nil_desperandum

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:16 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 pm
It’s well known that rationing resulted in a black market. Plenty other crimes committed during the wars as well...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-33566789

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 pm

bobinho wrote:

Some scrote in the shop today loudly yelling the shop assistant how he wasn’t wearing a mask due to him having asthma.... it restricted his breathing. Yeah mate, like COVID-19 won’t? You utter Mong, the rules are there to protect you... you should be wearing TWO face masks with your health issues.
Not saying that this particular person was behaving correctly or appropriately, but certainly having breathing issues such as COPD and asthma have been identified as valid reasons for being exempt from wearing masks, though the advice from Asthma UK is that you should be able to manage, and should try to wear one for short periods and see if you can cope.
Wearing two masks would definitely not be advised I would have thought.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Whilst I’m not suggesting that “black marketeering” is confined to this generation only, what I was REALLY suggesting was the basics were being missed. We all know that living in a capitalist society will see plenty trying to exploit the situation (I have reported examples of profiteering to eBay during the pandemic only for it to be ignored due to the increased profit they make) but what I’m taking about is the “Blackout“ for example. Any evidence to suggest that people went out for all nite raves on rooftops during the blitz?
I can’t remember reading anything of the sort. People are taking massive risks with other people’s (and their families) lives with a nonchalant attitude. Parties and raves and all sorts going on just because people are a bit fed up cos they ain’t been out for three weeks. It’s just disappointing is all....

The “two masks” remark was made tongue in cheek.... maybe you didn’t see it due to me wearing two masks. You KNEW what I meant tho. If wearing a mask restricted your breathing THAT much, stay in. Just stay in. I would. No question. Get someone to get your washing powder for you rather than making a big fuss about you being “Vulnerable”.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:50 pm

During WW2 the rules were very clear, the stakes understood, and the state was there in every aspect of life to help. Back then it was more likely to be older people who were breaking the rules, as they weren’t as much in the firing line - just as younger people weren’t this time.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:52 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Not saying that this particular person was behaving correctly or appropriately, but certainly having breathing issues such as COPD and asthma have been identified as valid reasons for being exempt from wearing masks, though the advice from Asthma UK is that you should be able to manage, and should try to wear one for short periods and see if you can cope.
Wearing two masks would definitely not be advised I would have thought.
I suppose its going to depend on how bad the asthma is.

I've got asthma but no issues wearing mask for a short trip to the shop.

If I was shopping with a spouse then that would be a different matter :lol:
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Here we go again, more divisive claptrap...
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish clarethomer

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:01 pm

FWIW - I have been shielding, as my severe asthma made me vulnerable to Covid.
I have had to attend various medical appointments, which meant wearing a mask. The only problem I encountered was my glasses steaming up.
As they say - if you have problems with a mask, you’ll hate the ventilator.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 pm

bobinho wrote:

I see your point. You don't have asthma, you see a man who does have asthma, and that him making the best of his life means that your life is inconvenienced in a tiny tiny way. No wonder you call him a name based on Down's Syndrome. No wonder you call him a name based on human genitalia.

No, your point is well made. People with asthma cluttering up the shops? You don't have asthma, why should you care? Let them vegetate at home. Why should you make allowances for their disability? Let them rot.

I'm sure your generation is proud of you. I just hope it isn't my generation that you claim to represent.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:07 pm

I think as we age, we all grow less tolerant, I know I do.
definately don't hold with how honourable the war years people were though. that's just wrong.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 am

Riots and looting during the blitz. Bobinho is a moron surrendering to declinism because his life didn't turn out the way he wanted it to and so he blames folks younger than himself for his misery. Phantoms are everywhere, and bitter folk waste their days swinging at them. Stop being silly.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:06 am

I've noticed moreso people coughing and sneezing during these strange times....I'm quite happy to Wear a mask When / where they are Required.. I enjoy life tbh.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 am

That's just your mind being more vigilant.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 am

One thing I missed during lockdown, is reading these, beer infused, saturday night threads when people get home from the pub.
Its nice that things are getting back to normal
This user liked this post: SammyBoy

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 am

bobinho wrote:

Conscription would really wake up the woke from their dull web based viral catatonic state.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 am

To tarnish a whole generation is a terrible thing.

The many young people I’ve met have largely been very likeable and hard working.

My daughter and several of her close friends are the 25 year old nurses that are trying to save the older people in the Intensive Care Units as they fight coronavirus. They have seen terrible things this last 6 months sometimes losing 2 or 3 patients in a day....go home, have a little cry and go back the next day while fearing they will probably catch it.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 nil_desperandum

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:49 am

It’s just another ‘things were better in my day’ thread.

It’s impossible to compare different generations as there’s far too many factors involved that have changed. My family abided by the rules very well, my Mrs lost her job and I had my income cut in half so if I’m honest your post p***** me off a bit
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone clarethomer

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:50 am

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 pm
Whilst I’m not suggesting that “black marketeering” is confined to this generation only, what I was REALLY suggesting was the basics were being missed. We all know that living in a capitalist society will see plenty trying to exploit the situation (I have reported examples of profiteering to eBay during the pandemic only for it to be ignored due to the increased profit they make) but what I’m taking about is the “Blackout“ for example. Any evidence to suggest that people went out for all nite raves on rooftops during the blitz?
I can’t remember reading anything of the sort. People are taking massive risks with other people’s (and their families) lives with a nonchalant attitude. Parties and raves and all sorts going on just because people are a bit fed up cos they ain’t been out for three weeks. It’s just disappointing is all....
Yeah, coz the situation we find ourselves in now is just like the blitz! Bombs falling down on us from the sky. People tucked away in makeshift shelters and in London in the underground! Buildings destroyed to pieces.

Are you living in Syria Bobinho?

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:55 am

I think every generation has it's issues. Spivs during the war, Mods/Rockers/Punks/Teddy Boys were no angels. Millwall fans smashing my Mum & Dad's windows in the 70's. Every generation has them....

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 am

This generation are led from the top. When the top doesn’t give a flying fish why should they?
The whole situation in England has been a shambles from day 1. Scotland, Wales & N.I. have respectable figures compared to England. They reacted, from day 1, to a pandemic. Boris went on holiday, avoided COBRA meetings, went around shaking hands with strangers whilst not wearing a mask and then caught the virus. The nations true leader then drove the length of the country, with a 5yo child because there was a possibility that himself or spouse had the bug. Utter madness.
The idiots that are out and about are not all youngsters. 3 generations worth of people saying it’s got nothing to do with me.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 am

Which "generation" are you actually on about. ?
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

P P P People try to put us down . Just because we have our heads buried in our phones on social media all break time.
Meet new people through our phones as we turn into mindless drones.

My generation yeah.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 am

Kids eh? Who'd Have em!

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am

I've only just turned 30 but I made a promise to myself years ago that I'll never be that old guy bitching and moaning about kids these days and slagging off new music I've never even heard. The OP has served as a nice bit of motivation to keep that promise ..

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:58 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 am
This generation are led from the top. When the top doesn’t give a flying fish why should they?
The whole situation in England has been a shambles from day 1. Scotland, Wales & N.I. have respectable figures compared to England. They reacted, from day 1, to a pandemic. Boris went on holiday, avoided COBRA meetings, went around shaking hands with strangers whilst not wearing a mask and then caught the virus. The nations true leader then drove the length of the country, with a 5yo child because there was a possibility that himself or spouse had the bug. Utter madness.
The idiots that are out and about are not all youngsters. 3 generations worth of people saying it’s got nothing to do with me.
All that may be true, but it isn't the reason for this problem.

The abolishment of corporal punishment in school.
Making smacking children illegal.
Dumbing down exams to make pass grades easier to acquire.
Lowering pass grades to make more students 'successful '.
Making excuses for youngsters who break the law, treating them as if they were the victim, rather than the culprit.
A total lack of a deterrent for such offenders.
Cancelling Sports day, not allowed to have winners, because you can definitely not have losers.
Everything at the finger tips, takeaway meals, latest film, latest partner all on the end of an instant button.
The wokes who think that everybody should be accepted, no matter how bizarre their beliefs.
Facebook and Instagram, which undermines people making real friends, that can be counted on, and puts added pressure on people to conform to a mass mentality.
RedBull, Monster and RockStar, that addles peoples brains to think they are active, but leaves them flat as a fart and useless an hour after drinking.
We have a generation that has everything laid on a plate for them, and as in previous generations there are good and bad out there. The good appreciate the sacrifices parents have made, and work hard to repay that sacrifice. The bad are just entitled little shits, who believe the world owes them Everything , because the world has 'given' them everything. They have no responsibilities at all, which is the crux of the problem, and they couldn't give a damn about anybody else, including their parents.

We've been creating these arsehiles drip by drip since Thatcher, and we are all responsible to a greater or lesser extent. How you turn that around in 2020 is doable, but not without bloodshed. I can see the day when vigilantes take to the streets, because the Police are ham strung to deal with them.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:58 am

We have a generation that has everything laid on a plate for them
Why do some old, bitter people insist on trotting out these tired old lies?

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:58 am
All that may be true, but it isn't the reason for this problem.

The abolishment of corporal punishment in school.
Making smacking children illegal.
Dumbing down exams to make pass grades easier to acquire.
Lowering pass grades to make more students 'successful '.
Making excuses for youngsters who break the law, treating them as if they were the victim, rather than the culprit.
A total lack of a deterrent for such offenders.
Cancelling Sports day, not allowed to have winners, because you can definitely not have losers.
Everything at the finger tips, takeaway meals, latest film, latest partner all on the end of an instant button.
The wokes who think that everybody should be accepted, no matter how bizarre their beliefs.
Facebook and Instagram, which undermines people making real friends, that can be counted on, and puts added pressure on people to conform to a mass mentality.
RedBull, Monster and RockStar, that addles peoples brains to think they are active, but leaves them flat as a fart and useless an hour after drinking.
We have a generation that has everything laid on a plate for them, and as in previous generations there are good and bad out there. The good appreciate the sacrifices parents have made, and work hard to repay that sacrifice. The bad are just entitled little shits, who believe the world owes them Everything , because the world has 'given' them everything. They have no responsibilities at all, which is the crux of the problem, and they couldn't give a damn about anybody else, including their parents.

We've been creating these arsehiles drip by drip since Thatcher, and we are all responsible to a greater or lesser extent. How you turn that around in 2020 is doable, but not without bloodshed. I can see the day when vigilantes take to the streets, because the Police are ham strung to deal with them.
Can’t argue with any off that but you still can’t lump all of a generation into one bracket. There are some great kids out there, just as there has always been, but they get tarred with the same brush.
The biggest problem being the parents of the arsehole kids who will defend them to the death. These are the ones that need culling. Kunts

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Yeah - this entitled generation who are going to leave school without a job or any prospect of being able to buy a house for the foreseeable future. They have everything on a plate.

To the OP - which generation exactly were you referring to? Are you including yourself in ‘this generation’?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:09 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Can’t argue with any off that but you still can’t lump all of a generation into one bracket. There are some great kids out there, just as there has always been, but they get tarred with the same brush.
The biggest problem being the parents of the arsehole kids who will defend them to the death. These are the ones that need culling. Kunts
Who exactly are you referring to though? You have so much hatred towards a group of people, but do you even know who you’re directing that hatred towards?

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:13 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 pm
A certain paint mfc, no longer in business had family links to a local cooked meat producer and a lot of local mfcs benefited from black market food in exchange for paint orders

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 pm
Here we go again, more divisive claptrap...
Just as I decide it may be safe to venture back on here, one of the usual suspects empties the contents of their Reactionary mind onto the forum.

I think I’ll pop back off again.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 pm
Just as I decide it may be safe to venture back on here, one of the usual suspects empties the contents of their Reactionary mind onto the forum.

I think I’ll pop back off again.
Hang around Beamish, we need more sanity on here.

Terrier
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm

People keep mentioning masks, most experts agree this is just a consumer confidence ploy by boris to get the footfall back in shops as most masks don't give nowhere near enough protection,pretty obvious really ask any painter or similar job and you need to be paying at least £15 for decent protection most people( me included ) are buying off amazon at a cost of £20 for 50 masks, not even 50p each!

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm
Yeah - this entitled generation who are going to leave school without a job or any prospect of being able to buy a house for the foreseeable future. They have everything on a plate.

To the OP - which generation exactly were you referring to? Are you including yourself in ‘this generation’?
If they leave school without a job, or any prospect of buying a house, it's more than likely because they didn't work hard enough when they had the opportunity too. They didn't take advantage of all that free education, they'd rather play on the X Box than do their homework. Rather be seen as the class clown, than the class swot. They didn't have parents who could warn them of the hole they are building for themselves. It's all ok, because a life on benefits, just like mum and dad, is fine.

I said in my post earlier. It is ALL down to responsibility. If we fail to teach children responsibility, everything else goes down the pan. As parents we are responsible for our children. They have a responsibility to themselves. It's a lesson too many people never got, and if they didn't get it they are unlikely to pass it on to their children. These people don't need pity, they need a bloody good shake to wake up and see the light.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm
If they leave school without a job, or any prospect of buying a house, it's more than likely because they didn't work hard enough when they had the opportunity too. They didn't take advantage of all that free education, they'd rather play on the X Box than do their homework. Rather be seen as the class clown, than the class swot. They didn't have parents who could warn them of the hole they are building for themselves. It's all ok, because a life on benefits, just like mum and dad, is fine.

I said in my post earlier. It is ALL down to responsibility. If we fail to teach children responsibility, everything else goes down the pan. As parents we are responsible for our children. They have a responsibility to themselves. It's a lesson too many people never got, and if they didn't get it they are unlikely to pass it on to their children. These people don't need pity, they need a bloody good shake to wake up and see the light.
Oh dear. So the only reason young people can't afford a property is because they didn't work hard enough.

The most disturbing thing is I think you actually you believe that guff. Old and bitter. It's not attractive, mate.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 pm
Why do some old, bitter people insist on trotting out these tired old lies?
Nice sound bite, well done.

But why exactly is it a lie? What is the truth, IF I'm wrong, at least tell me why.

As for bitter, I'm far from bitter. I feel sorry for this generation, because in many ways we created the society that created them. That pity doesn't manifest in me crying my eyes out and making excuses for them, I'd rather point out the mistakes we made so that future generations don't keep making the same mistakes. My parents worked hard, but didn't own our house. I worked hard and managed to buy one. My children have worked hard and they have both bought one. Nobody gave me anything, apart from good advice, a clip round the ear, when I needed it, and a shoulder to cry on when things were tough. The rest of it was up to me.

Life is what you make of it, not what whichever government is in power subscribes for you.
You learn from failure. If you take away the failure element of education and sports, then you take away the motive for pushing yourself. Stop bringing kids up to believe life is a walk in the park, because the first job they get, they have no concept of effort and reward. It's too easy to get everything by pushing a button on your mobile phone. Life in a factory, or a shop, or an office isn't like that. You have to put the hours in. You have to take the occasional step backwards as well as forward, and you have to accept it with a shrug and push on anyway. It takes patience to achieve the important things in life, and too many young adults, with life on the end of a mobile, don't understand the concept of patience, or working towards a goal. They don't learn that there is a price for failure until it's too late.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Nice sound bite, well done.

But why exactly is it a lie? What is the truth, IF I'm wrong, at least tell me why.

As for bitter, I'm far from bitter. I feel sorry for this generation, because in many ways we created the society that created them. That pity doesn't manifest in me crying my eyes out and making excuses for them, I'd rather point out the mistakes we made so that future generations don't keep making the same mistakes. My parents worked hard, but didn't own our house. I worked hard and managed to buy one. My children have worked hard and they have both bought one. Nobody gave me anything, apart from good advice, a clip round the ear, when I needed it, and a shoulder to cry on when things were tough. The rest of it was up to me.

Life is what you make of it, not what whichever government is in power subscribes for you.
You learn from failure. If you take away the failure element of education and sports, then you take away the motive for pushing yourself. Stop bringing kids up to believe life is a walk in the park, because the first job they get, they have no concept of effort and reward. It's too easy to get everything by pushing a button on your mobile phone. Life in a factory, or a shop, or an office isn't like that. You have to put the hours in. You have to take the occasional step backwards as well as forward, and you have to accept it with a shrug and push on anyway. It takes patience to achieve the important things in life, and too many young adults, with life on the end of a mobile, don't understand the concept of patience, or working towards a goal. They don't learn that there is a price for failure until it's too late.
You're wrong because young people don't get handed everything on a plate. You're speaking from a place of sheer ignorance. I work as a teacher in a deprived area and I confirm you're talking utter garbage when you say that.

The world has obviously moved on since your day. You can choose to remain bitter and resentful about it, or you can choose to move with it.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:

Talking out of your arse in regards to buying a house.

When the average price is nearly 8-10 times the average wage how is that an individuals fault if they can't afford it?
Successive govs have failed to get a grip on house prices and as such there will be generations of young people either unable to afford to buy meaning they'll rent forever or they will have to live with parents whilst saving.

There aren't an infinite amount of people who can do jobs within a certain wage structure, just like there aren't an infinite amount of jobs offering that wage.

Our education system also fails to help prepare people for the real world, they don't teach you financial responsibility etc.
Yes parents can and should teach that, but if they don't or can't then our schools should be.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:

So people finishing school in the middle of a global pandemic where jobs are hugely difficult to find deserve it because they played too much Xbox. Gotcha. Pig ignorant.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeah, I AM including myself. I’m here living thru it. Trying to do my bit in not spreading this disease, playing the game until there is some sort of effective vaccine. And getting seriously ****** off at the arrogance and selfishness of others.

My point is very simple... we are about to lose a generation who proved themselves to be something quite special. (Yes, there were some scrotes there too) They (not all) lived thru years of hardships and came through the other side providing a better future for us all than was planned. They got amongst it when it mattered and we all live a better life because of it. Churchill called them “the few”. Yes, I know he was specifically talking about the BoB fighter pilots, but I am generalising again. There was a generation who put the collective good before their own personal gains. They had a conscience, and felt a responsibility to do the right things for all of us.
Well, we have our own “few” now don’t we. We should be referring to the NHS, the key workers and the carers who have done their absolute best to bring us thru this as best they can. Some of them have given their all in order to do just that, and they should be remembered as “the few” of this generation.... trouble is, every time there is a new weekend, we hear about “the few” who are just a bunch of selfish pricks, going about their own lives like everything is normal. Risking everything because they feel invincible. Having parties, illegal gatherings and raves with thousands in attendance who then go home to pass this **** onto their families etc. All because they are a bit fed up because they haven’t seen their mates for a few weeks.

Take a walk thru town and see how many are walking around in shops without masking up as they have been asked to do... cos they don’t have to cos they are special and “who’s gonna make me?”

Maybe it’s wrong to generalise as I have done, but quite obviously whilst criticising this generation for its selfishness over the current situation, I didn’t actually mean EVERYONE, but I suspect you knew that.

Anyway, whilst you are here getting upset about what I have said whilst ignoring the point, take it easy on beamish.... he’s written the whole town off as well as this forum, but please bear in mind he didn’t actually mean EVERYONE (even tho that’s what he wrote) who lives in the town, so cut him some slack please....

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:53 pm
Talking out of your arse in regards to buying a house.

When the average price is nearly 8-10 times the average wage how is that an individuals fault if they can't afford it?
Successive govs have failed to get a grip on house prices and as such there will be generations of young people either unable to afford to buy meaning they'll rent forever or they will have to live with parents whilst saving.

There aren't an infinite amount of people who can do jobs within a certain wage structure, just like there aren't an infinite amount of jobs offering that wage.

Our education system also fails to help prepare people for the real world, they don't teach you financial responsibility etc.
Yes parents can and should teach that, but if they don't or can't then our schools should be.
I agree schools should teach financial responsibility, but why stop at finance. Why not add health, respect, religious and ethnic tolerance.

I also agree that house prices are way too high, but I'm buggered how you address it, without dropping someone else into the crapper. Halve house prices, and suddenly millions of people are living in negative equity.....Rent to buy schemes. Reducing the downpayment sum would be the biggest help, but can that be foisted onto building societies without existing customers paying the price if too many foreclose at once. We would suddenly be a short recession away from disaster.

As for jobs. There are jobs out there, yes many are minimum wage, but there are just as many that aren't. We had to do without many things paying our mortgage off. It caused strife, as I'm sure it probably did for many others. It's the goal at the end that makes it all worth while. I paid my house off 10 years ago, and I'd be lucky if I had £500 in savings. The last 10 years, have shown that it was all worth while. I've had 3 jobs since I first bought my house, and at each one I started at the bottom of the pile. Just an ordinary worker, no great pay, in fact the 10 years I worked for the NHS, it was a pittance, but I still believed buying my own home was the right step, no matter how hard.
I'm not pretending it is easy for the young, I know through my kids experience, but if you want it hard enough, and are prepared to work hard enough, you can find a way.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 pm
I'm not pretending it is easy for the young
Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 pm
We have a generation that has everything laid on a plate for them

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:31 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm
Yeah, I AM including myself. I’m here living thru it. Trying to do my bit in not spreading this disease, playing the game until there is some sort of effective vaccine. And getting seriously ****** off at the arrogance and selfishness of others.

My point is very simple... we are about to lose a generation who proved themselves to be something quite special. (Yes, there were some scrotes there too) They (not all) lived thru years of hardships and came through the other side providing a better future for us all than was planned. They got amongst it when it mattered and we all live a better life because of it. Churchill called them “the few”. Yes, I know he was specifically talking about the BoB fighter pilots, but I am generalising again. There was a generation who put the collective good before their own personal gains. They had a conscience, and felt a responsibility to do the right things for all of us.
Well, we have our own “few” now don’t we. We should be referring to the NHS, the key workers and the carers who have done their absolute best to bring us thru this as best they can. Some of them have given their all in order to do just that, and they should be remembered as “the few” of this generation.... trouble is, every time there is a new weekend, we hear about “the few” who are just a bunch of selfish pricks, going about their own lives like everything is normal. Risking everything because they feel invincible. Having parties, illegal gatherings and raves with thousands in attendance who then go home to pass this **** onto their families etc. All because they are a bit fed up because they haven’t seen their mates for a few weeks.

Take a walk thru town and see how many are walking around in shops without masking up as they have been asked to do... cos they don’t have to cos they are special and “who’s gonna make me?”

Maybe it’s wrong to generalise as I have done, but quite obviously whilst criticising this generation for its selfishness over the current situation, I didn’t actually mean EVERYONE, but I suspect you knew that.

Anyway, whilst you are here getting upset about what I have said whilst ignoring the point, take it easy on beamish.... he’s written the whole town off as well as this forum, but please bear in mind he didn’t actually mean EVERYONE (even tho that’s what he wrote) who lives in the town, so cut him some slack please....
Harking on about WWII is doing you no favours.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Harking on about WWII is doing you no favours.
I’m after no favours.... I am trying to put into context what is being asked of people...

It’s an example of how a generation can forge itself, and it’s a good example to follow. 5+ years of real hardship vs 5 months of staying home... yeah, it’s been tough alright.

That generation led by example, this generation have had an opportunity to show how much they care for others and the future... and far too many have blown it. All they were asked to do was follow a few simple rules designed to restrict the spread of this virus, just to help out like. Do their little bit. That’s it. And they have by and large, mugged it off... and it’s that attitude that has been really disappointing.