Cancel Culture ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Re: Cancel Culture ?

Post by clarethomer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm
This is why people don't take you seriously.

Here is the New Statesman's statement in full, directly contradicting your unique take on it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/m ... er-scruton

Nobody takes you seriously.
Don't present evidence or anything that contradicts his views.. It doesn't matter... you're wasting your time.

He will scurry off to his local momentum group crying that he is being cancelled on here before long.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm
This is why people don't take you seriously.

Here is the New Statesman's statement in full, directly contradicting your unique take on it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/m ... er-scruton

Nobody takes you seriously.
You can’t resist the ad hominem.

The article isn’t much of an apology, is it? His anti-Semitism remains unaddressed, with a mealy mouthed mention of “not a Jewish empire” and no mention at all “explaining” his Islamophobia. - which he always claimed is a “propaganda word”

A better reason to sack Scruton would have been he’s a yesterdays man with outdated and irrelevant ideas.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:15 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm
You can’t resist the ad hominem.

The article isn’t much of an apology, is it? His anti-Semitism remains unaddressed, with a mealy mouthed mention of “not a Jewish empire” and no mention at all “explaining” his Islamophobia. - which he always claimed is a “propaganda word”

A better reason to sack Scruton would have been he’s a yesterdays man with outdated and irrelevant ideas.
Turtle?

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:57 pm

This has been going on since 1967 when I wasn't invited to a neighbour's birthday party as punishment for saying my grandma's ginger biscuits were better than his mum's.
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 pm

There's only one thing that's measurably faster, than the illiberal Left's haste to stifle, silence and erasure people and their opinions with whom they disagree with. Using their pernicious Marxist Cancel Culture to do it.

The speed at which they try and deny it even exists.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:15 pm
Turtle?
Ringo?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 pm
There's only one thing that's measurably faster, than the illiberal Left's haste to stifle, silence and erasure people and their opinions with whom they disagree with. Using their pernicious Marxist Cancel Culture to do it.

The speed at which they try and deny it even exists.
Because I know you’re very concerned about the educational opportunities for white working class boys, what’s your opinion of the government’s decision to bring down their grades and bring up those of privately schooled children?
These 7 users liked this post: Devils_Advocate ksrclaret Swizzlestick Greenmile JohnMcGreal TVC15 evensteadiereddie

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 pm
Because I know you’re very concerned about the educational opportunities for white working class boys, what’s your opinion of the government’s decision to bring down their grades and bring up those of privately schooled children?
Brilliant. :D :D :D

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:21 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
My opinion will be irrelevant to you Andrew, thanks to a "The Right wing media," "The Daily Mail " and sprinkling of "Murdoch". Let's be honest.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No answer to that one, then. Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather!

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:24 pm

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Eric Cantona

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:27 pm

AndrewJB wrote:

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Quick mods! Cancel this thread! Paul is losing again!

Poisonous! Vile! Sick! C'mon, get it gone!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 pm

If ringo did get cancelled, I take it there would be some space going in some posters heads. Rent free

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:40 pm

Damo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 pm
If ringo did get cancelled, I take it there would be some space going in some posters heads. Rent free
I wouldn't be so flippant about that. You're probably next to be cancelled.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
:D

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:55 pm

Damo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:36 pm
Are you referring to the question of gender indeterminism around Elizabeth and Ringo possibly being the same person in addition to the involvement of large quantities of alcohol; and how that might fuel feverish sexual fantasies among some posters? Not with me - no offence intended to any party / person, just not my thing. I can’t think of any other reason Ringo might inhabit a person’s thoughts.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:28 pm
Regarding the dog incident, I don't think it matters, but to answer your question, according to the man shouting at her, it was longer than 5 mins and looking at the video the window was just 'cracked open' and it was a small car. He was bang on in his accusations. But my argument is that he shouldn't post it online.

I worry that these days people might get into an altercation, then pulling out a camera-phone only antagonises the person more then footage shows the sitaution in the wrong context.
He was bang on in this dogging incident. Although he could have cracked the windows further.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
It's wrong. And it will further disadvantage white working class boys even further. A demographic that , for nigh in 2 decades , have been at the bottom of all other demographics for attain mentlevels. This leads to increased likelihood of poor employment prospects, drug and alcohol abuse , prison and suicide rates.
The fact that the education system has refused to address it ,is in itself , proof of institutional racism and misandry. It's just another symptom of cultural Marxism that infests all aspects of public life.

That's your entirely irrelevant question answered.

Given this is a thread about cancel culture and my post , to which you replied, was about the Lefts refusal to even accept it exists. It kind of proves my point!

Hoist by your own petard.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:07 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm
It's wrong. And it will further disadvantage white working class boys even further. A demographic that , for nigh in 2 decades , have been at the bottom of all other demographics for attainmentlevels. This leads to increased likelihood of poor employment prospects, drug and alcohol abuse , prison and suicide rates.
The fact that the education system has refused to address it ,is in itself , proof of institutional racism and misandry. It's just another symptom of cultural Marxism that infests all aspects of public life.

That's your entirely irrelevant question answered.

Given this is a thread about cancel culture and my post , to which to replied, was about the Lefts refusal to even accept it exists. It kind of proves my point .

Hoist by your own petard.
We can only hope the government reverses the decision in the interests of working class children.

Just so you know, the term “cultural Marxism” is considered to be very anti-Semitic (it originated in Nazi Germany).

In my opinion “cancel culture” is just the latest bogeyman buzzword to keep the rightwing bed welters outraged. It’s just a new way of saying boycott.

Your victimhood has to be fed because rightwing politics isn’t really for you. It’s for the people who’ve paid for it, and they can measure the value of their investments. £11 million in donations from property developers got them a big rule change. The scrapping of Leveson 2 was the reward for faithful support of the newspapers. And so on. What has your support got you? Brexit? Tighter immigration controls that rightwing propaganda sources have convinced you we need?

Left wing politics can get silly sometimes, but nobody’s efforts are ultimately just benefitting a small group of rich people. If I’m knocking on doors I’d much rather have a positive message, than a negative one.
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:32 pm

"The fact that the education system has refused to address it ,is in itself , proof of institutional racism and misandry."

I still think it's pretty weird, in this day and age, that any parent claiming to be convinced about the truth of the above statement would refuse to take the responsibility of challenging their child's school over the issues, make public any specific examples and demand immediate remedial action.

The opportunities to communicate with a school, officially or informally, have never been better. Even if a parent is happier behind a keyboard or at the end of a phone-in line, being nervous of a face to face scenario, there is always access to vital information via the Parent Teacher group or governing body's parent representative.

They'd take a hell of an interest in this.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Scruton made racially offensive remarks during an interview. Anti-Semitic and Islamophobic remarks (and he’d been caught out before with unacceptable views).
Unacceptable? To whom? Who judges the 'acceptableness' of views?

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 am

Bullabill wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 am
Unacceptable? To whom? Who judges the 'acceptableness' of views?
Usually Rowls, I think, at least when it comes to antisemitism.

These judgments are based purely on the political affiliation of the alleged offender, of course.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 pm

You know something is wrong when the phrase 'right wing' is considered wrong by all and sundry.

Half the world is still in the stone age, why respect that as uber alles a developed country's populace?

In India, the toilet is still a novelty.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Personally, I think it’s all a load of bolloxcs. Tbh, most of what I’ve read on here is completely alien to me as a don’t use Twatter or BaceFook but If you do, you should be aware of what you are getting yourself into. When I was growing up, my parents kept up with technology to a certain point when they said enough is enough, and they made do with what they had from that point on. I’m reaching a similar point where I’ve said the same and I’ll make do with what I’ve got; I don’t talk to my smart TV, I don’t use social media and I’ll never buy an electric, self driving car. I guess that makes me happy with life because I’m no longer chasing the ‘must haves’, the latest things etc etc. However, I’m determined to live a fulfilled life doing what I want to do, and occasionally helping out people less fortunate than myself.
These 2 users liked this post: Anonymous Bullabill

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:59 pm
I don’t use social media
Yes you do.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 am
Usually Rowls, I think, at least when it comes to antisemitism.

These judgments are based purely on the political affiliation of the alleged offender, of course.
Well feel free to give that thread a bump and let's see how this assertion of yours stands up, eh?

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:21 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:59 pm
Personally, I think it’s all a load of bolloxcs. Tbh, most of what I’ve read on here is completely alien to me as a don’t use Twatter or BaceFook but If you do, you should be aware of what you are getting yourself into. When I was growing up, my parents kept up with technology to a certain point when they said enough is enough, and they made do with what they had from that point on. I’m reaching a similar point where I’ve said the same and I’ll make do with what I’ve got; I don’t talk to my smart TV, I don’t use social media and I’ll never buy an electric, self driving car. I guess that makes me happy with life because I’m no longer chasing the ‘must haves’, the latest things etc etc. However, I’m determined to live a fulfilled life doing what I want to do, and occasionally helping out people less fortunate than myself.

Get yourself a Harley Davidson fat boy soft tail, sell everything else, leave a PO Box number and live life to the full.

The things that dreams are made of.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:09 pm

I’m sorry but, IMO, Harleys aren’t real motorcycles, over here they are a life style and fashion statement; a triumph of marketing over engineering. American cars are more or less the same; big engines, agricultural mechanicals, lots of torque, lots of noise and thirsty. Great (In America) for bashing across thousands of miles of straight roads but sadly lacking in the twisties. Personally I’d rather buy an Italian V12, leave a PO Box number and live my dreams to the full.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 pm

BennyD wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:09 pm
I’m sorry but, IMO, Harleys aren’t real motorcycles, over here they are a life style and fashion statement; a triumph of marketing over engineering. American cars are more or less the same; big engines, agricultural mechanicals, lots of torque, lots of noise and thirsty. Great (In America) for bashing across thousands of miles of straight roads but sadly lacking in the twisties. Personally I’d rather buy an Italian V12, leave a PO Box number and live my dreams to the full.
I understand what your saying, but as I get older, give me the long straight over the twisty bits.

You might even be right that Harleys aren’t what they used to be, having had this conversation with a man who loves his motor bikes, he told me to get an Indian, a far superior machine.

I suppose it doesn’t matter what you’re on, as it’s not the destination, but the thrill of the ride.
This user liked this post: BennyD

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:23 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:07 pm
We can only hope the government reverses the decision in the interests of working class children.

Just so you know, the term “cultural Marxism” is considered to be very anti-Semitic (it originated in Nazi Germany).

In my opinion “cancel culture” is just the latest bogeyman buzzword to keep the rightwing bed welters outraged. It’s just a new way of saying boycott.

Your victimhood has to be fed because rightwing politics isn’t really for you. It’s for the people who’ve paid for it, and they can measure the value of their investments. £11 million in donations from property developers got them a big rule change. The scrapping of Leveson 2 was the reward for faithful support of the newspapers. And so on. What has your support got you? Brexit? Tighter immigration controls that rightwing propaganda sources have convinced you we need?

Left wing politics can get silly sometimes, but nobody’s efforts are ultimately just benefitting a small group of rich people. If I’m knocking on doors I’d much rather have a positive message, than a negative one.
Still denying it even exists.

The Guardian columnist Owen Jones took to Twitter on Sunday morning to express his view that "cancel culture" does not exist, but is rather a strategy used by those with large platforms to shut down others who criticize them.

Jones tweeted: "'Cancel culture' is public figures using their privileged platforms to complain about people using social media to criticise them, normally because of their publicly expressed views about minorities who are hugely underrepresented in public life."

While Jones garnered a lot of praise for his bold tweet, there were others who suggested that his claim was patently false. One of these people was Martin Daubney, who tweeted that he could debunk Owens' assertion with two tweets

Daubney posted two tweets, both of which featured University of Cambridge professor, Priyamvada Gopal. The first reveals a tweet by Gopal saying that "white lives don't matter. As white lives." The next one reveals a news article quoting Gopal saying: "'White Lives Don't Matter' Cambridge Professor Says She Resists "Urges to Kneecap White Men Everyday.'"

Gopal received a promotion from the University of Cambridge after tweeting "white lives don't matter." Meanwhile, David Starkey was forced to resign in disgrace from the same institution for his comments on slavery.

Both developments follow Cambridge University's recent statement following criticism against Gopal. "The University defends the right of its academics to express their own lawful opinions which others might find controversial and deplores in the strongest terms abuse and personal attacks," the institution stated. "These attacks are totally unacceptable and must cease."

Twitter user Fraser Myers used Owens' own tweet again him, showing that Owens had previously reached out to the University of Oxford to confirm that the Deputy Director of External Affairs and International Strategy would be "fired by the end of the day."

In early June, students at UCLA demanded that the university fire two professors for bending to the whims of students amid the death of George Floyd. The first professor was Gordon Klein, who refused to grant students' wishes that they be treated special because of their skin color. The second professor, W. Ajax Peris, was targeted by students for reading aloud MLK's "Letter from Birmingham Jail," which includes repeated instances of the n-word.

It all makes sense now.

Youre Owen Jones !

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:06 am

Heathclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 pm
I understand what your saying, but as I get older, give me the long straight over the twisty bits.

You might even be right that Harleys aren’t what they used to be, having had this conversation with a man who loves his motor bikes, he told me to get an Indian, a far superior machine.

I suppose it doesn’t matter what you’re on, as it’s not the destination, but the thrill of the ride.
Your mate is correct, Indians are the better bikes. However, I’m about 2/3s the way through restoring a 1977 Suzuki GS750D which will probably become my ‘Sunday’ bike. I’ve had it for 25 years and, so far, have only put 2,350 miles on it! I’m looking forward to spending some nice, dry, time on it.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:15 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:23 am
Still denying it even exists.

The Guardian columnist Owen Jones took to Twitter on Sunday morning to express his view that "cancel culture" does not exist, but is rather a strategy used by those with large platforms to shut down others who criticize them.

Jones tweeted: "'Cancel culture' is public figures using their privileged platforms to complain about people using social media to criticise them, normally because of their publicly expressed views about minorities who are hugely underrepresented in public life."

While Jones garnered a lot of praise for his bold tweet, there were others who suggested that his claim was patently false. One of these people was Martin Daubney, who tweeted that he could debunk Owens' assertion with two tweets

Daubney posted two tweets, both of which featured University of Cambridge professor, Priyamvada Gopal. The first reveals a tweet by Gopal saying that "white lives don't matter. As white lives." The next one reveals a news article quoting Gopal saying: "'White Lives Don't Matter' Cambridge Professor Says She Resists "Urges to Kneecap White Men Everyday.'"

Gopal received a promotion from the University of Cambridge after tweeting "white lives don't matter." Meanwhile, David Starkey was forced to resign in disgrace from the same institution for his comments on slavery.

Both developments follow Cambridge University's recent statement following criticism against Gopal. "The University defends the right of its academics to express their own lawful opinions which others might find controversial and deplores in the strongest terms abuse and personal attacks," the institution stated. "These attacks are totally unacceptable and must cease."

Twitter user Fraser Myers used Owens' own tweet again him, showing that Owens had previously reached out to the University of Oxford to confirm that the Deputy Director of External Affairs and International Strategy would be "fired by the end of the day."

In early June, students at UCLA demanded that the university fire two professors for bending to the whims of students amid the death of George Floyd. The first professor was Gordon Klein, who refused to grant students' wishes that they be treated special because of their skin color. The second professor, W. Ajax Peris, was targeted by students for reading aloud MLK's "Letter from Birmingham Jail," which includes repeated instances of the n-word.

It all makes sense now.

Youre Owen Jones !
I haven’t said it doesn’t exist, but that it’s been around for a long time and is called boycotting, or blacklisting.

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Screenshot_20200818-114701_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200818-114701_Twitter.jpg (353.45 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Screenshot_20200818-114721_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200818-114721_Twitter.jpg (213.79 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Screenshot_20200818-114726_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200818-114726_Twitter.jpg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Twitter spent the evening cancelling satirical accounts that poke fun at the woke folk yesterday

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Damo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm
Twitter spent the evening cancelling satirical accounts that poke fun at the woke folk yesterday
Titiana McGrath was done for a while as well.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:57 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:15 pm
I haven’t said it doesn’t exist, but that it’s been around for a long time and is called boycotting, or blacklisting.
Calling for the career ending heads of people whose opinions and voices you don't approve of. While defending even promoting those who've said racist and abhorrent things about white people isn't boycotting. Its Cultural Marxist voice silencing hypocrisy.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Damo wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm
The Woke Left are disproportionately white, middle class, educated, and higher than average earners. Looks like they're a consequence of that "white privilege " that they so despise, to me!

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:11 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Calling for the career ending heads of people whose opinions and voices you don't approve of. While defending even promoting those who've said racist and abhorrent things about white people isn't boycotting. Its Cultural Marxist voice silencing hypocrisy.
What are you talking about? Professor Gopol received death threats, and calls for her to be sacked, all because some people were too stupid to understand her tweet (and because some media sources didn’t quote the entire thing). Here’s a link in which she explains herself:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ge-support

You’re against what you call cancel culture, but don’t seem to mind when it’s aimed at an Indian woman living here. Which professors have lost their jobs here? Starkey? If he said nothing wrong, why did he apologise for it?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:06 pm
The Woke Left are disproportionately white, middle class, educated, and higher than average earners. Looks like they're a consequence of that "white privilege " that they so despise, to me!
You're very critical of the working conditions faced by employees of Mike Ashley's businesses. May I ask, do you shop at Sports Direct?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 pm
You're very critical of the working conditions faced by employees of Mike Ashley's businesses. May I ask, do you shop at Sports Direct?
Are you referring to the zero hours contracts introduced by a former government that I'm not allowed to mention because its classed as whataboutary?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 pm
Are you referring to the zero hours contracts introduced by a former government that I'm not allowed to mention because its classed as whataboutary?
That is one of Ringo's issues with Mike Ashley from memory, but the history of zero-hour contracts is irrelevant to the question I'm asking of him so not sure why you'd need to raise it.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:13 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 pm
That is one of Ringo's issues with Mike Ashley from memory, but the history of zero-hour contracts is irrelevant to the question I'm asking of him so not sure why you'd need to raise it.
Most people only focus on the zero hour contracts though, which is why I raised it.
Those much despised zero hour contracts have been around since 1998 and not a single gov since then has been bothered about getting rid of them, probably because they aren't sure of the best way to do it.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 pm

BennyD wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:06 am
Your mate is correct, Indians are the better bikes. However, I’m about 2/3s the way through restoring a 1977 Suzuki GS750D which will probably become my ‘Sunday’ bike. I’ve had it for 25 years and, so far, have only put 2,350 miles on it! I’m looking forward to spending some nice, dry, time on it.
Fantastic, I hope you have many happy miles on your bike.
64D6068C-7F54-4803-BA14-C34C091EB547.jpeg
64D6068C-7F54-4803-BA14-C34C091EB547.jpeg (709.41 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Unhappily the Benelli 900 isn’t mine, it belongs to a client of mine who was restoring it. It’s a beaut though.
Thought you might enjoy the pictures.
Attachments
172F78F9-765A-418F-A3CA-89AE65303C9F.jpeg
172F78F9-765A-418F-A3CA-89AE65303C9F.jpeg (625.24 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
These 2 users liked this post: cbx750 BennyD

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 pm
If you give Sidney half a chance to cry “but Labour...”, he’s going to take it.

It’s the only way he has left of defending the Tories whilst still pretending not to be one himself.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:13 pm
Most people only focus on the zero hour contracts though, which is why I raised it.
Those much despised zero hour contracts have been around since 1998 and not a single gov since then has been bothered about getting rid of them, probably because they aren't sure of the best way to do it.
"Zero hours contracts" were not invented in 1998. They may have been given that name in 1998 I dare say, but under the old name of "casual labour" they have been around for a lot longer than that.

If any government does succeed in abolishing zero hours contracts, how will that impact football clubs? Some weeks they have 2 home games and open the bars for perhaps 6 hours those weeks; will they have to employ the bar staff on a 6 hours per week, 52 weeks a year, contract?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:02 pm
If you give Sidney half a chance to cry “but Labour...”, he’s going to take it.

It’s the only way he has left of defending the Tories whilst still pretending not to be one himself.
You just don't like me presenting facts that's all.

Not my issue though, but feel free to carry on crying about it.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:08 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:03 pm
"Zero hours contracts" were not invented in 1998. They may have been given that name in 1998 I dare say, but under the old name of "casual labour" they have been around for a lot longer than that.

If any government does succeed in abolishing zero hours contracts, how will that impact football clubs? Some weeks they have 2 home games and open the bars for perhaps 6 hours those weeks; will they have to employ the bar staff on a 6 hours per week, 52 weeks a year, contract?
That's why I said they haven't worked out a way to deal with the issue yet.

I know it was casual labour prior to being formalised as zero hours.
It was a poorly thought out idea unsurprisingly and has been amended many times since to ensure people have certain rights.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Yes prior to 1998 there was zero hours contract but it was often abused by employers to not pay employees for quiet periods even if the employees had to stay onsite in case they got busy

As part of the Minimum Wage Act Labour added a protection around this unscrupulous practice which required the employer to pay the employee the minimum wage for all the time the employer required them to be at the work place even if it was quiet and there was no work to do

Whatever the rights and wrongs are of zero hours contracts over the years I would say that the 1998 change that Labour made which Sid likes to bang his drum about was a sensible and good one and one which protected the working man/woman

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:14 pm
Yes prior to 1998 there was zero hours contract but it was often abused by employers to not pay employees for quiet periods even if the employees had to stay onsite in case they got busy

As part of the Minimum Wage Act Labour added a protection around this unscrupulous practice which required the employer to pay the employee the minimum wage for all the time the employer required them to be at the work place even if it was quiet and there was no work to do

Whatever the rights and wrongs are of zero hours contracts over the years I would say that the 1998 change that Labour made which Sid likes to bang his drum about was a sensible and good one and one which protected the working man/woman
It was poorly thought out though, as usual when any government does something.
Hence the changes to it over the years to ensure zero hour contract workers have more protection and rights.

That's why I bang the drum, the idea was sound in principle but **** poor planning meant it wasn't very good in practice but as per usual Labour supporters can't see that so you'll all spend time whinging about me pointing the issues out.

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 pm
Titiana McGrath was done for a while as well.
Godfrey Elfwick too. The account never posted anything offensive. It posted satirical stuff that poked fun at modern "liberals"
I think the account caught out several media channels, including the guardian. Mainly because the people it was parodying have become so bonkers, that anything the account posted could have easily have been tweeted, or published online.
It caught many right wingers and even the centrists too for the same reason.
Got cancelled a couple of years ago.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spiked ... fwick/amp/