54.4C

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

54.4C

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Highest temperature on Earth' as Death Valley, US hits 54.4C.

And i thought it was hot here in Burnley last week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53788018

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: 54.4C

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm

The ex mother in law would feel right at home in that heat.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan Juan Tanamera

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Temperature in Vegas tomorrow is due to be 46, I won't need my thick coat

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:20 pm

I stayed overnight in Death Valley in August 2008 on a road trip. It was around 120f - in the shade. It was mid-way thru our trip, so we decided to use motel's laundrette - that was a lot hotter. It felt like my head was inside an oven with Ginger Baker trying to drum his way out! :( ;)

Lovely place to visit. The next day was a little cooler. Great drive across the valley - with the a/c on full. :D

EDIT: The wonders of "On this Day" photo storage! Photos of Death Valley popped up on my phone this morning - seems I was there exactly 12 years ago, 18th August 2008. :D
Last edited by Paul Waine on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

slw
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by slw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 pm

cant be much fun hiking camping and walking in that heat, unless your a cactus or lizard.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Not sure I'd even want to drive through Death Valley in that heat. I'd be too paranoid about breaking down and being stuck there in it.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:48 pm

It’s called Death Valley for a reason

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:06 pm

slw wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 pm
cant be much fun hiking camping and walking in that heat, unless your a cactus or lizard.
cactus can’t walk! :?

:D
These 2 users liked this post: slw dpinsussex

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 pm

claretblue wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:06 pm
cactus can’t walk! :?

:D
https://www.odditycentral.com/travel/th ... esert.html

You sure...?
These 2 users liked this post: HunterST_BFC tim_noone

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:48 pm

I once spent a day riding a motorbike from Khajuraho to Agra in northern India and was told on arrival that the TV news had just been reporting that it was '50*C in the shade'; there'd been damn-all shade on the roads that we were on; my abiding memory is that it was impossible - you just couldn't breath! - to take the speed above about 30mph.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Got stuck just heading out of Death Valley while hitch hiking once and had to sleep out , now must admit i was more worried about snakes , hey it was cold that night as well .

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:20 pm
I stayed overnight in Death Valley...next day was a little cooler. Great drive across the valley - with the a/c on full. :D
My very first experience of air conditioning was driving a car out of Las Vegas and across Death Valley. I thought a/c was crap/a waste of time until a chap running a petrol station/roadhouse (he was Pakistani lad from Bradford!) very kindly and without laughing, pointed out that it worked a lot better if you closed the car's windows. Doh.
These 3 users liked this post: Paul Waine KateR GodIsADeeJay81

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm
You'll not feel benefit pal
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret chekhov GodIsADeeJay81

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm
don't forget your vest though.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04 am

In the ME we used flags on construction sites, Green, Amber, Red. Amber meant stopping for 10 minutes ever hour for drinks rest in shade, Red was set at 50 and meant stop work until the temperature dropped below 50. I know sites were stopped numerous times in July/August, I certainly wouldn't have liked to have lived there, or even Texas/Houston, without air conditioning.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:56 am

KateR wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:58 pm
don't forget your vest though.
I've just ordered my scarf :D
This user liked this post: KateR

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 am

You can certainly get too hot. For me that's closing in on 30c. Give me 21-22c and I'm fine.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04 am
In the ME we used flags on construction sites, Green, Amber, Red. Amber meant stopping for 10 minutes ever hour for drinks rest in shade, Red was set at 50 and meant stop work until the temperature dropped below 50. I know sites were stopped numerous times in July/August, I certainly wouldn't have liked to have lived there, or even Texas/Houston, without air conditioning.
Wonder if the same allowances are made for the poor sods building the facilities in Qatar?

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm
Wonder if the same allowances are made for the poor sods building the facilities in Qatar?
I lived in Qatar a long time, all of the facilities being built are done so at the ground floor level of construction managed by European & US companies are mainly Indian subcontinent personnel and many from SE Asia, some special contracts let to Chinese companies have a higher proportion of Chinese, while the Japanese companies used Chinese and some Mongolians.

The 50 degree rule is Qatari Law, however in many cases where independent temperature measurements at site were checked, they were always higher than those stated/published by the national news outlets. I can only talk about sites I visited, these were always shut down at 50 when the site measurements hit 50 but I did hear stories/rumours that other sites did not and went off the official reporting of the temperature.

In terms of living conditions for these workers they varied immensely depending on the Contractor and who the Client was, I can only talk about workers within the sphere of scopes of work we controlled. I know I had to do a thorough walk through the "camp" facilities with the Client in order to receive an approval to occupy, the facilities were in my opinion fully acceptable and regular walk/checks were conducted.

One thing many people don't consider when looking at these issues is that the Average European/American get's a 10% uplift on his base salary plus a hardship allowance, which in the case of Qatar was 10% for three companies I can site, which is pretty normal. As a Brit when I was there you were tax free under certain circumstances, Americans were taxed on all earnings, including accommodation/utilities/car if provided.

The average earnings for contract personnel from SE Asia & the Indian subcontinent was 7 times base salary normally provided at the home base country for the same job/position. Many of them worked job after job and I met some in other ME countries plus recommended some for jobs elsewhere in the world, depending upon skills and open positions that I knew of.

Most of these workers did not resign to go home but stayed in the region, they would also move for very little increase as I saw it and often to places where the living conditions were worse.

There were some horrendous areas for workers in terms of living conditions but the ME is not the worst in terms of living conditions, I have seen by a long shot and they were in the main well compensated against the home earnings potential they would have had they chosen to remain home.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12 pm

When I lived abroad the summers were up to 44 which is fine for me if it's a dry heat. So I'd probably be ok with 54.4. As long as there were plenty of fluids and a reliable vehicle. I was still wearing my long john's, jeans, long sleeved thermals and a t'shirt during the recent heatwave here. It's when it gets humid I don't like it.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm
I lived in Qatar a long time, all of the facilities being built are done so at the ground floor level of construction managed by European & US companies are mainly Indian subcontinent personnel and many from SE Asia, some special contracts let to Chinese companies have a higher proportion of Chinese, while the Japanese companies used Chinese and some Mongolians.

The 50 degree rule is Qatari Law, however in many cases where independent temperature measurements at site were checked, they were always higher than those stated/published by the national news outlets. I can only talk about sites I visited, these were always shut down at 50 when the site measurements hit 50 but I did hear stories/rumours that other sites did not and went off the official reporting of the temperature.

In terms of living conditions for these workers they varied immensely depending on the Contractor and who the Client was, I can only talk about workers within the sphere of scopes of work we controlled. I know I had to do a thorough walk through the "camp" facilities with the Client in order to receive an approval to occupy, the facilities were in my opinion fully acceptable and regular walk/checks were conducted.

One thing many people don't consider when looking at these issues is that the Average European/American get's a 10% uplift on his base salary plus a hardship allowance, which in the case of Qatar was 10% for three companies I can site, which is pretty normal. As a Brit when I was there you were tax free under certain circumstances, Americans were taxed on all earnings, including accommodation/utilities/car if provided.

The average earnings for contract personnel from SE Asia & the Indian subcontinent was 7 times base salary normally provided at the home base country for the same job/position. Many of them worked job after job and I met some in other ME countries plus recommended some for jobs elsewhere in the world, depending upon skills and open positions that I knew of.

Most of these workers did not resign to go home but stayed in the region, they would also move for very little increase as I saw it and often to places where the living conditions were worse.

There were some horrendous areas for workers in terms of living conditions but the ME is not the worst in terms of living conditions, I have seen by a long shot and they were in the main well compensated against the home earnings potential they would have had they chosen to remain home.
Stop bringing facts into message board. This is a place for wild speculation, utter claptrap and genuine misunderstanding.
These 2 users liked this post: BenWickes KateR

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12 pm
When I lived abroad the summers were up to 44 which is fine for me if it's a dry heat. So I'd probably be ok with 54.4. As long as there were plenty of fluids and a reliable vehicle. I was still wearing my long john's, jeans, long sleeved thermals and a t'shirt during the recent heatwave here. It's when it gets humid I don't like it.
In July August , avoid most of the Persian Gulf States, definitely avoid South Texas and Louisianan, places like Singapore/Philippines hover a few degrees either side of 32, wet conditions from humidity or the rainy seasons all year round, the odd dry days were a bonus to be full enjoyed. Yet I have enjoyed living in these places plus quite a few others. You definitely acclimatize when you live somewhere long enough.

Abu Dhabi entered a greenification program in the late 70's, flowers trees etc. by the 90's they weather patterns had drastically changed in terms of annual humidity was through the roof due to watering programs, desalination plants were being built and delayed the Abu Dhabi golf club opening by years, because there was not enough water to lay the grass. Regularly drove past the club house and you could see the fairways laid out but they were light brown instead of a lovely green colour.

I well remember my first trip to the ME (Kuwait) to live, Feb and we went on the beach a couple of weekends, empty, most people looking at us as crazy as they were in sweaters/coats. The following Feb we were in sweaters and coats, home visits and going to mum's, either we were freezing or she was roasting with the heating on lol.
This user liked this post: BenWickes

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:52 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 pm
In July August , avoid most of the Persian Gulf States, definitely avoid South Texas and Louisianan, places like Singapore/Philippines hover a few degrees either side of 32, wet conditions from humidity or the rainy seasons all year round, the odd dry days were a bonus to be full enjoyed. Yet I have enjoyed living in these places plus quite a few others. You definitely acclimatize when you live somewhere long enough.

I well remember my first trip to the ME (Kuwait) to live, Feb and we went on the beach a couple of weekends, empty, most people looking at us as crazy as they were in sweaters/coats. The following Feb we were in sweaters and coats, home visits and going to mum's, either we were freezing or she was roasting with the heating on lol.
You do acclimatise to the weather. It's the oddest thing. I get funny looks walking around with a jacket on when it's 70 degrees out. I'm cold :lol: you should see me in winter. I have thermals, t'shirt, sweater, fleece on inside and the radiator on. The wife goes mad at me. Outside even more layers.

You remind me of a trip I had to make to Oklahoma in the middle of summer. Had to stay with a friend on the business trip and he had no air conditioning. It was so humid, it was unbearable! I could see it raining but the ground was dry. I went for a shower and came out wetter than when I was under it. I told him I'd get a hotel next time.
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Our eldest son lives in Greater Manchester, he was brought up and schooled in the ME, did his first 6 months of college in LA where we lived. He had a car and everything as it was needed but he decided he wanted to go to Newcastle Uni with his best friend and so he moved, no car etc, just a normal boy starting in Uni. Now and for a number of years he wears shorts and T-shirt, whenever he can all year round, he makes me cold just looking at him.
This user liked this post: BenWickes