BFC TRANSFER NEWS DISCUSSION THREAD SUMMER 2020( DON'T BOTHER WITH LINKS)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Guller Bull
Been Liked: 798 times
Has Liked: 1019 times

BFC TRANSFER NEWS DISCUSSION THREAD SUMMER 2020( DON'T BOTHER WITH LINKS)

Post by Guller Bull » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Would it help to have a discussion thread so you can discuss Transfers, Lack of transfers, theories of evolution and swarming insects?

Don't worry about links as there aren't many anyway!
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS DISCUSSION THREAD SUMMER 2020( DON'T BOTHER WITH LINKS)

Post by Zlatan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Yeah but you’re acting like you’re 12 and I’m old and I know more...

Link sorry viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49545&p=1358304#p1358304

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:30 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:41 pm
Lets look at 1 domestic defender

28 year old full international and 3 year left on his current deal

2nd most goals and assists over last 2 season behind Alexander-Arnold as a defender

Finished 7th in last 2 seasons in the Prem as well as quarter finals of europa league and semi finals of FA cup

Joined a direct rival for a top 6 spot for less than 15m

Which of the above does GIbson get anywhere near
Matt Doherty and Wolves / Arsenal / Spurs

I will admit that was an unexpected one. I'm guessing the deciding factor behind the decision to sell him to Spurs was that he had another 3 1/2 years to run on his contract. Wolves initially wanted 20m for him, but Spurs are renowned for being very tight with their spending, so they got him for 15m.

Wolves were already in the market to sign a new right back and probably figured Doherty would be sitting on the sidelines, pulling in a big wage, before his contract ended. So they decided to accept below market value for him and re-invest the money in a younger replacement.

The difference is that the 15m is now on their balance sheet and they will be looking to get the best value with that money from their effective recruitment team. They accepted market value, sold him quickly, and will be expecting to make immediate use that money to buy a longer term addition in a market were the higher value players are currently suffering the most notable decrease in transfer fees.

The most important factor was that Wolves were probably overly confident about signing Maitland Niles, before Arsenal did a U-turn. While a deal was on the cards he was unlikely to sign up and play second fiddle to Doherty.

Doherty probably jumped at the chance to increase his wages and with the potential departure of Aurier at Spurs he probably envisioned a better chance of consistent playing time.

All told, selling Doherty quickly for 15m probably made a lot of sense at the time, but if Arsenal don't come full circle and return to the idea of moving Maitland-Niles on Wolves might regret the decision to sell Doherty for 15m.

Given that Arsenal have two other quality right backs in their squad it wouldn't shock me if they decided to bleed Wolves for more than the 20m bid they were rumoured to be preparing.

Reiss Nielson and Burnley / Arsenal

Okay, all well and good, but despite replying to a previous comment what does this have to do with important things, like possible Burnley transfers ?

Hmm, Willian and Soares joined Arsenal in this window. That means they will have 3 right backs and 3 wingers on their books if the decision not to sell Maitland-Niles remains in place. Bellarin played in midfield quite a bit last season and Maitland-Niles used to be a midfielder. That is a lot of players to keep happy with two available spots, even with cup matches and the like.

Riggy was very enthusiastic about Reiss Nielson when he first arrived, but he was completely wrong about him not playing well at the time - he was carrying an injury and he was playing superbly before that, drawing numerous plaudits.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... explained/

After re-reading that I still can't grasp why we added Paulo Araujo to our recruitment team as Head of Scouting for North America and Latin America on the basis that he might produce something of value 4, 5 or 6 years down the line. Especially when he has limited technical scouting experience and his previous role was centred on arranging player sponsor deals for Umbro.

However, returning to Arsenal, could their change of tact regarding the sale of Maitland-Niles mean they are lining somebody else up for a move instead of him ?

Neilson would certainly tick the box for a rapid flair winger, even though I personally think we need a winger with a bit more defensive bite, given the way that we currently play and how well it works for us. However, factoring in my own belief that Riggy operates with a stubborn linear thought process, and he seems to be harbouring a desire to change our framework to one where we attack on both wings, I wouldn't rule out some probing interest from us.

How is that for a bit of outlandish speculation, Neilson to Burnley ( more likely on loan ) ?

Note: I only included a link, because it amused me to include one on a thread that asked me not to when the thread that asks people to include them rarely attracts any. Fuel up the fighter plane, I feel like a Maverick.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:47 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:30 pm
Matt Doherty and Wolves / Arsenal / Spurs

I will admit that was an unexpected one. I'm guessing the deciding factor behind the decision to sell him to Spurs was that he had another 3 1/2 years to run on his contract. Wolves initially wanted 20m for him, but Spurs are renowned for being very tight with their spending, so they got him for 15m.

Wolves were already in the market to sign a new right back and probably figured Doherty would be sitting on the sidelines, pulling in a big wage, before his contract ended. So they decided to accept below market value for him and re-invest the money in a younger replacement.

The difference is that the 15m is now on their balance sheet and they will be looking to get the best value with that money from their effective recruitment team. They accepted market value, sold him quickly, and will be expecting to make immediate use that money to buy a longer term addition in a market were the higher value players are currently suffering the most notable decrease in transfer fees.

The most important factor was that Wolves were probably overly confident about signing Maitland Niles, before Arsenal did a U-turn. While a deal was on the cards he was unlikely to sign up and play second fiddle to Doherty.

Doherty probably jumped at the chance to increase his wages and with the potential departure of Aurier at Spurs he probably envisioned a better chance of consistent playing time.

All told, selling Doherty quickly for 15m probably made a lot of sense at the time, but if Arsenal don't come full circle and return to the idea of moving Maitland-Niles on Wolves might regret the decision to sell Doherty for 15m.

Given that Arsenal have two other quality right backs in their squad it wouldn't shock me if they decided to bleed Wolves for more than the 20m bid they were rumoured to be preparing.

Reiss Nielson and Burnley / Arsenal

Okay, all well and good, but despite replying to a previous comment what does this have to do with important things, like possible Burnley transfers ?

Hmm, Willian and Soares joined Arsenal in this window. That means they will have 3 right backs and 3 wingers on their books if the decision not to sell Maitland-Niles remains in place. Bellarin played in midfield quite a bit last season and Maitland-Niles used to be a midfielder. That is a lot of players to keep happy with two available spots, even with cup matches and the like.

Riggy was very enthusiastic about Reiss Nielson when he first arrived, but he was completely wrong about him not playing well at the time - he was carrying an injury and he was playing superbly before that, drawing numerous plaudits.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... explained/

After re-reading that I still can't grasp why we added Paulo Araujo to our recruitment team as Head of Scouting for North America and Latin America on the basis that he might produce something of value 4, 5 or 6 years down the line. Especially when he has limited technical scouting experience and his previous role was centred on arranging player sponsor deals for Umbro.

However, returning to Arsenal, could their change of tact regarding the sale of Maitland-Niles mean they are lining somebody else up for a move instead of him ?

Neilson would certainly tick the box for a rapid flair winger, even though I personally think we need a winger with a bit more defensive bite, given the way that we currently play and how well it works for us. However, factoring in my own belief that Riggy operates with a stubborn linear thought process, and he seems to be harbouring a desire to change our framework to one where we attack on both wings, I wouldn't rule out some probing interest from us.

How is that for a bit of outlandish speculation, Neilson to Burnley ( more likely on loan ) ?

Note: I only included a link, because it amused me to include one on a thread that asked me not to when the thread that asks people to include them rarely attracts any. Fuel up the fighter plane, I feel like a Maverick.

Just thought I’d quote this as somebody will pop up shorty to whinge about your post anyway for whatever reason - you’ve accumulated yourself some haters on here LTL - why I’m not sure.

But they may focus on me quoting it and “clogging up” the thread .
This user liked this post: Zlatan