Premier League midfielder available - Drinkwater

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Premier League midfielder available - Drinkwater

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:46 am

Interview in the Telegraph - I think he's played down the night club incident to be honest

https://bit.ly/2Rbw98L

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Premier League midfielder available - Drinkwater

Post by Grumps » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am

Carnt see it without paying....

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 am

It's a curious interview that. He's got the chance to give things solely from his side without challenge and he still comes across as a total knobhead. Impressive.
These 3 users liked this post: MT03ALG Steve1956 Damo

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:56 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:51 am
Carnt see it without paying....
Must admit, I was surprised I was able to read it but here's the interview.

Danny Drinkwater, by nature, is not inclined to trust people outside his family. It is why he has pushed his body too hard in a bid to turn around what he describes as a "sticky" four years and it is also why he has not told his side of the story during the same period.

But Drinkwater recognises it is time to start trusting the right people, which is why he agreed to give his first interview since 2016 in which nothing was deemed off limits.

During a candid hour-and-a-half in a fashionable central London hotel, Drinkwater opened up on what has gone wrong for him at Chelsea, his drink driving charge, being beaten up in a nightclub while on loan at Burnley and headbutting Jota during his six-month spell at Aston Villa.

The Premier League title winner also tried to add context to what has contributed to some of his bad decisions, why he fell out of love with football, after which he visited a sports psychiatrist, and why a pay cheque will never be any substitute for playing regularly - no matter how big it is.

Tanned from time spent abroad on holiday this summer and looking fit, Drinkwater said: “It is a trust thing, for me. I’m definitely a closed book and that’s extended through most of my life, not just football.

“That’s 100 per cent cost me in terms of what people think of me and it’s cost me in terms of my injuries and fitness over the past few years because I haven’t put enough trust in what the experts have been telling me.

“Look, I know my Chelsea move hasn’t worked out how anybody would have wanted and I’ve made mistakes, but it’s not as simple as me just not playing football or picking up a wage. Money doesn’t solve anything. The pay cheque doesn’t really help at all, you don’t even think about money.

“There have been things that come above football that have not been as simple as I’d like. I’m not looking for sympathy, f--- me I don’t want that, but I suppose I’d just like people to understand it’s not all gravy when you earn so much money and that I do care.”

Drinkwater had recently become a Premier League champion with Leicester City and was rated one of the best midfielders in the country when he last spoke publicly. Four years later, he has been through an entire season for Chelsea in which he did not make a single appearance and played in just six games last term during two loan spells at Burnley and Villa.

He has also landed himself in trouble at all three clubs and asked to describe the past four years, Drinkwater replied: “Sticky.” He went on to reveal that the problems started ahead of his £35million move to Chelsea in the summer of 2017.

“Chelsea came in the first time in the window after we won the League, but Leicester didn’t want to lose me and (N’Golo) Kante at the same time,” said Drinkwater.

“I decided to get my head down and give it a go in the Champions League, but once that was over I felt like I had nothing, I was deflated as anything and then I felt like I was just plodding along in the games. So when Chelsea came back in for me, I wanted the challenge and I was buzzing for it. I did everything to try to make it happen. I needed something new.”

Having arrived injured, Drinkwater’s first season at Chelsea under Antonio Conte didn’t go as well as he hoped, but it was no write off as he made 22 appearances and featured heavily in the club’s FA Cup run, despite not playing in the final victory over Manchester United.

Having flirted with the idea of leaving, Drinkwater was persuaded to stay and hoped to push on. But the arrival of head coach Maurizio Sarri sent his career into a nose-dive.

“We had a meeting on the last day of the summer transfer window, one hour before it closed,” explained Drinkwater. “It was Sarri and Gianfranco Zola translating. They told me I could go on loan and I was like ‘what the ****? You’ve given me one hour to get a move’. I didn’t even call anyone because I was so angry and there was no chance I was going to get a move in an hour. Giving me an hour was a joke.

“He said I would get frustrated. That would have been fine, me battling behind three or four players is frustration. Me not being involved in any matchday squads, that’s just crazy. Weirdly, me and Sarri got along off the pitch, but on the pitch it was totally different.”

Drinkwater did not make a single appearance in Sarri's solitary season in charge and his treatment by the Italian saw him fall out of love with football. It also coincided with him being charged with drink driving after crashing his car in April last year.

“I don’t regret staying and not leaving in that hour or not going on loan in the January because I still wanted to give it a go,” said Drinkwater. “But now I reflect on it and think it is a bit embarrassing that I’ve been at Chelsea and not played for a full season.

“Once I knew I wasn’t going to get a chance I treated it like a job. It meant I fell out of love with football because at that point it just becomes a job and fulfilling your hours. Mentally, it’s a killer. For a full year knowing that was hard to cope with.

“I won’t use Chelsea as an excuse for the drink driving. Obviously, my mental state wasn’t the best, but it was ridiculous and it should never have happened.

“There were a few things going on then away from football, my nan and grandad passed away quite close together and, this might sound daft to anyone who doesn’t have a dog, but my dog passed away and that hurt me. It was all part of the sticky patch.

“For everything to come in a short space of time with my career not going to plan was too much for me. It hit me.”

Drinkwater is separated from the mother of his three-year-old son and travelling north to see him added another layer of complexity to his situation.

“I wasn’t able to see my son as much as I wanted,” he said. “I thought it would be easy living on my own, do what I want and then travel up to Manchester to see my son, but it wasn’t like that. I was sat doing nothing, or I couldn’t see my son or there were problems with the trains so I couldn’t get back or I was delayed.”

Drinkwater opened up to his friends and family over his problems and also visited a sports psychologist in a bid to help kick-start his career ahead of last summer’s loan move to Burnley.

But he only made two appearances for Sean Dyche’s team and less than a month after joining the Clarets he was assaulted inside a nightclub.

“I was pinching around the team then,” said Drinkwater. “Someone said I had tried to chat up some footballer’s girlfriend, but that just wasn’t the case. I got jumped and beaten up. It was an international break, so I wasn’t breaking any rules by going out and having a drink. But the timing was awful and the fact I twisted my ankle was the worst thing. I went in for a scan the next day and found out it was to do with the bone and I couldn’t believe it. It was just like ‘could this get any worse?’.

“I needed to find some enjoyment and have some release. If that happens the year we won the league at Leicester then nothing happens and you have a great night. Looking back now, I should have known it was the wrong time to take the risk, however small it was.

“I didn’t have any stability in my life, so I was probably a bit lost as a person. I didn’t know where I fitted in professionally and I didn’t really know where I fitted in with my personal life and seeing my son, and it was really confusing. I think if you have one solid, then the other one you can manage.”

Once again impatient to play, Drinkwater returned to Chelsea in January and moved on loan to relegation-threatened Villa where it dawned on him just how far a year-and-a-half without any football had left him off the pace.

“Villa was the biggest wake-up call in terms of my fitness,” said Drinkwater. “I was catching up three pre-seasons, a full season with no football and half a season where I’ve played two games. And I’m thinking ‘eight games, I’ll be fine’. I was trying to rush it and, to be fair, Dean Smith was quality. He didn’t put any pressure on me, but I felt like I had no time. I played four or five games and I didn’t manage to do anything. The fans were waiting for Danny Drinkwater and this loaf of bread turned up in midfield.”

The frustration boiled up inside Drinkwater again and eventually spilled over following the club’s 4-0 defeat against Leicester in a game in which he did not get off the substitutes’ bench against his former club.

“I was thinking ‘Jesus, I’ve just been back to somewhere I had so much success and I couldn’t get on the pitch. This is embarrassing’,” said Drinkwater. “I got some stick from the fans and I woke up and I was raging. After training I planned to go and speak to Dean Smith about things, but then I went and headbutted Jota.

“We were on the same team, that’s how stupid it was. I’ve never done that, I’ve never laid someone out before. It was ridiculous. I apologised straight away and I had to go home. I texted him straight after to apologise and take full responsibility. I Google translated it into Spanish as well to make sure he’d understand.

“I told myself that I needed to clean myself up big time. I must have taken a good look at myself s--- loads of times. I had a wake up call after the drink driving, another wake up call after the nightclub and then another wake up call after the incident at Villa. Then it’s like, this has got to stop. Drink driving, I’ve not driven since, because I can’t, the nightclub incident, I’ve not really been in an English nightclub since and I don’t plan to and I definitely can’t put myself in the situation to fight with a team-mate again.”

Now back at Chelsea, where he is training away from the first team group, Drinkwater still believes he can turn his career around and is desperate to show his son what he is capable of.

“There’s nothing more important in my life than my son,” he said. “I obviously don’t want him to read anything bad about me, but I know I will have to explain and be honest with him about this period of my life. I want him to see me playing week in week out.

“I’ve got loads more to give. I’m open to going abroad, even though it will be difficult with my son. But I would hope to still see him and, hopefully, he would understand that for a year I needed to get my career sorted out again. I need an anchor and I need to sort out one side of my life, so if I can sort my football out, even if it is abroad, then that will help in the long term. I need something to grasp.

“It probably all comes down to patience and trust with me. I need to change for it to work, otherwise I’ll be stuck in this vicious circle. If I can trust people who are good at their job and be patient then I can only see me building my career back up now. I can’t see me staying in this situation. No chance.”
This user liked this post: Steddyman

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:00 am

Id have him back

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks tony

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 am
It's a curious interview that. He's got the chance to give things solely from his side without challenge and he still comes across as a total knobhead. Impressive.
Impressive knobhead :lol:

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:04 am

If he's not bothered about the money why doesn't he take a hefty pay cut and play in the Championship for a season just to get up and running again. He could move closer to his son, get his head down and prove he can still play.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:00 am
Id have him back
Good job your not called Sean Dyche then. :)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am

Such a shame that when struggling not being able to see his kid due to him being in London and the kid in Manchester, when getting a move up north he didn't concentrate on being a dad in his spare time.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 am

Good PR move by his agent. Get his name out there. Can't see a english club taking him though

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3749 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 am

It's amazing how many times highly (over) paid professional footballers throw in an ' I don't care about money' comment in these sort of interviews.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 am

I’m finding it hard to conjure up any sympathy for him.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am

Wonder how much The Telegraph paid him. He’s had his chances. No time for him.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am

An honest account (probably) but what a mess?
4 wasted years, will he ever reform/perform, does he deserve one last chance?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks for sharing the full article CT.

I actually do feel a little sorry for him. He is human and rejection and isolation can be painful and everyone deals with it differently.

Edit: I should add that Sean is exactly the sort of guidance he needs to put his life back on track.
Last edited by Steddyman on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 am
Such a shame that when struggling not being able to see his kid due to him being in London and the kid in Manchester, when getting a move up north he didn't concentrate on being a dad in his spare time.
Where do you get “didn’t concentrate on being a dad” out of that? Because he sometimes goes out at night for a drink? Ohhh naughty, all those on here who do that, your bad parents, the lot of you.

That’s a pretty honest interview. From having a fantastic season at Leicester to dwindling career since. Chelsea giving him an hour to find a club is disgusting tbf to him. Talks about his problems off the pitch which can also have a huge effect. Struggles both on and off the pitch. Good on him for coming out and speaking, not enough men do. But because he had a bad time here and earns big money we’ll just abuse him and call him names.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 am

Chelsea giving him a 5 year deal must be one of the worst bits of transfer business in football history.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am

Boo bloody hoo.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 999 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am

He say's "I’m not looking for sympathy,..". Just as well, he's not going to get much generated by this piece unfortunately.
There are more excuses/underplaying of the daft things he's done and not much about what he's learnt/how he's putting things right. Wheeling out the (standard criminals' weak mitigations) - granny died/ dog died etc.

Burnley was a great chance for him to put things back on track (less expectations than at Chelsea/ a fair manager/ nearer his kid) and he blew it badly. His view of the nightclub incident reads:
“Someone said I had tried to chat up some footballer’s girlfriend, but that just wasn’t the case. I got jumped and beaten up. It was an international break, so I wasn’t breaking any rules by going out and having a drink. But the timing was awful and the fact I twisted my ankle was the worst thing. I went in for a scan the next day and found out it was to do with the bone and I couldn’t believe it. It was just like ‘could this get any worse?’.

From other accounts it's difficult to see him as the innocent victim he paints here & didnt he run away abroad afterwards?

It looks likely that his high-level footy career is finished but hopefully he can can get to grips with where he's at and how he can move forward. There's some signs of self awareness at leasrt with the (re his Villa games): "The fans were waiting for Danny Drinkwater and this loaf of bread turned up in midfield.”

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am

Pay per play deal?

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am

This passage cracked me up, the build up to the 'headbutt' line and the subsequent 'google translate' line.

'The frustration boiled up inside Drinkwater again and eventually spilled over following the club’s 4-0 defeat against Leicester in a game in which he did not get off the substitutes’ bench against his former club.

“I was thinking ‘Jesus, I’ve just been back to somewhere I had so much success and I couldn’t get on the pitch. This is embarrassing’,” said Drinkwater. “I got some stick from the fans and I woke up and I was raging. After training I planned to go and speak to Dean Smith about things, but then I went and headbutted Jota.

“We were on the same team, that’s how stupid it was. I’ve never done that, I’ve never laid someone out before. It was ridiculous. I apologised straight away and I had to go home. I texted him straight after to apologise and take full responsibility. I Google translated it into Spanish as well to make sure he’d understand.'

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 am

Got to say I got excited at the news we had signed him last year, particularly with the loss of Defour, and thought he would prove to be a great signing. Even when he went to Villa I thought there was still something there that a run of games would find.Got to put my hands up to say I was wrong and disappointed. Suspect his only outlet is now the Championship or possibly the PL on a pay by game basis. It will show how hungry he is

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am

Let’s be honest here- he’ll be a free transfer. Chelsea want rid and will likely pay him off to get shut of him.

IF he’s serious about sorting himself out. IF he’s serious about wanting to be a positive and active influence in his child’s life. IF he’s wanting to play rather than just pick up a wage then I’d be open to bringing him back.

A ‘pay as you play’ incentive based deal with the chance to rekindle his career might appeal to him. Also I don’t think that Dyche really wanted to lose him last January and was willing to extend the deal. If so and Dyche still wants him and a suitable deal can be organised then it wouldn’t be the worst signing in the world...

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am

Basically he's a one season wonder.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:32 pm

He’s not actually a good footballer anymore. He’s probably League 1 or 2 standard at best.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 pm

I'd probably take another punt on him, now that he's had more minutes under his belt and he getting back to fitness.... that said though according to my contacts at the club, he was a right misery gut. He gave the impression he didn't want to be there.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:32 pm
He’s not actually a good footballer anymore. He’s probably League 1 or 2 standard at best.
That's based on what exactly?
He's barely played any first team football, but when he was at Leicester he was definitely PL standard.

If he can sort his head out, get fit and get playing regularly then he's more likely to regain that Leciester form.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Wasn't excited. Lived down to my expectations. No, worse even worse than that.

Can go wherever he wants as long as it's not TM.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Nowhere near good enough for the Premier League and probably not even Chanpionship ( certainly not top end clubs).

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm

I never cease to be amazed how much mentality (including relating to alcohol but not just that) seems crucial to thriving at this level.

Even clowns who parade themselves around off the pitch like Beckham and C Ronaldo have a fantastic work ethic, last off the training pitch, don’t drink much off it. You compare them (and lesser PL players) to Drinkwater and it is hard to see him succeeding again. Probably the best thing about Dyche is his desire to get solid characters in the dressing room.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Life is full of missed opportunities ---ask Danny Drinkwater.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm

What an embarrassment of a person he is.
The bit about head butting Jota sums up everything you need to know about this guy - selfish, unfit and completely passed it as a player but then takes out his frustration and anger about these facts by assaulting a team mate.

The games he played for Villa he was far worse than I expected....they were playing with 10 men when he was on the pitch and he was a liability and cost them a number of goals losing the ball and opposition players were going past him with ease like he was an old man.

If he ever plays anywhere near the top level again I would be amazed. He’s gone - but then again when you look at his whole career he’s had a lot more poor / average seasons than he has had good.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm
He's barely played any first team football, but when he was at Leicester he was definitely PL standard.

If he can sort his head out, get fit and get playing regularly then he's more likely to regain that Leciester form.
His career suggests that his form at Leicester when they won the title was the exception not the norm.
There is no evidence at all that he can regain that form - he’s not had a good game in more than 4 years now - that’s a long time to get himself fit and playing.
Looking at his cameos for us and Villa he does not have the fitness levels for the lower divisions let alone premier league.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Dyche played Drinkwater for 60 minutes against City when he was so bad he made Cork look like Pirlo then did not play him for a single minute thereafter.

I think this tells you all you need to know about the chances of Danny boy returning to TM which hopefully are less than zero.

LAM
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by LAM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Struggling to sympathise here. You don’t need to be playing 90 minutes every week in the PL to get fit. If money isn’t an option, plenty of opportunities await to work back up the ladder. I feel the reality is the work ethic isn’t there now his feet have grown bigger than his boots.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 pm
Nowhere near good enough for the Premier League and probably not even Chanpionship ( certainly not top end clubs).
We spoke to some Leicester fans last season in a pub before our game there. They said he had one outstanding season there and that was it. I doubt very much he’d get another opportunity at Premier League level now. And to think a year ago I was really pleased with the signing.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Could be a good signing for Barrow or Harrogate Town....

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:26 pm

I'm available. I like a few pints, but I'm a nice bloke ;)

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:09 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm

It’s based on the fact that he’s the wrong side of 30 and has been garbage for the last 4 seasons. His debut for Aston Villa was so comical it was untrue.

He’ll be extremely lucky to get taken on at a Championship club.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:33 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm
His career suggests that his form at Leicester when they won the title was the exception not the norm.
There is no evidence at all that he can regain that form - he’s not had a good game in more than 4 years now - that’s a long time to get himself fit and playing.
Looking at his cameos for us and Villa he does not have the fitness levels for the lower divisions let alone premier league.
I don't think anybody was suggesting he'd still be capable of rediscovering any title winning form, if he sorted himself out & applied the effort there's no reason why he couldn't still do a job for a lower PL side, evidence is not needed you don't go from being a title winning player to something drastically lower in the time period, the question is does he want to do it there's no logical reason why he couldn't the tools are in the locker.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:33 pm
I don't think anybody was suggesting he'd still be capable of rediscovering any title winning form, if he sorted himself out & applied the effort there's no reason why he couldn't still do a job for a lower PL side, evidence is not needed you don't go from being a title winning player to something drastically lower in the time period, the question is does he want to do it there's no logical reason why he couldn't the tools are in the locker.
1) I responded to a post saying he could regain his Leicester form - do you not think he was referring to his title winning form ?
2) he just embarrassed himself for a “lower PL side”
3) he’s had 4 years to get fit, apply himself etc etc.
4) he’s just had 2 loan spells where he got in a fight at both clubs.

They are all “logical” reasons he will never get back to anywhere near his Leicester form.
I can’t see any logical reason for him coming back and to say he has the tools in his locker is just meaningless - he is a tool that’s for sure.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm

I enjoyed the fact that he went to the effort of translating (google translate no less) into Spanish an apology to a team mate.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm

"It's not about the money" Don't make me laugh.
Offer to play for nothing, then...I still doubt a PL club would take him on.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 pm
1) I responded to a post saying he could regain his Leicester form - do you not think he was referring to his title winning form ?
2) he just embarrassed himself for a “lower PL side”
3) he’s had 4 years to get fit, apply himself etc etc.
4) he’s just had 2 loan spells where he got in a fight at both clubs.

They are all “logical” reasons he will never get back to anywhere near his Leicester form.
I can’t see any logical reason for him coming back and to say he has the tools in his locker is just meaningless - he is a tool that’s for sure.
You've obviously purposely overlooked where I said if he sorts himself out & applies himself you are judging him on the last 4 years & assuming things will stay the same, I'm stating as a big IF if certain conditions are met he could still do it, engaging himself in massive lifestyle changes & maximum mental focus, you only have to look at some players like damien delaney & realise rarely the odds can be overturned.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:33 pm
if he sorted himself out & applied the effort there's no reason why he couldn't still do a job for a lower PL side, evidence is not needed you don't go from being a title winning player to something drastically lower in the time period,
However all the evidence that does exist points to exactly that. Moreover 4 accomplished managers, Sarri, Smith, Dyche and Lampard have given him the bums rush.

Nutting your team mates is bit of an own goal as well why would you want to risk your existing players?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:17 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:12 pm
However all the evidence that does exist points to exactly that. Moreover 4 accomplished managers, Sarri, Smith, Dyche and Lampard have given him the bums rush.

Nutting your team mates is bit of an own goal as well why would you want to risk your existing players?
I'm 95% certain the lad won't overcome his demons, everything I've said is on the proviso he completely changes his lifestyle & adopts a super strict professional attitude, people are just assuming he'll stay the same & he probably will, the 5% chance I'm stating he could but very unlikely to.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:18 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:12 pm

He's got a ways to go yet to catch Ravel Morrison in being binned off by managers.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm
You've obviously purposely overlooked where I said if he sorts himself out & applies himself you are judging him on the last 4 years & assuming things will stay the same, I'm stating as a big IF if certain conditions are met he could still do it, engaging himself in massive lifestyle changes & maximum mental focus, you only have to look at some players like damien delaney & realise rarely the odds can be overturned.
Nope - overlooking is what you did by not even knowing the post I responded to and thinking you were being clever by chipping in with another stupid response.

Of course IF gets you out of everything - IF he sorted himself out and started playing like he was 4 or 5 years ago then yes I agree that he would be good enough.

But all the evidence suggests he can’t. In fact all the evidence suggests he has tried and he cannot get anywhere near it....and the reason I know that is because he’s been trying for 4 years so what do you think is going to change now.

As for using Delaney as an example of what Drinkwater could do - again you seem to surpass yourself. I could not think of a worse example to use. Drinkwater is the diametric opposite to Delaney who had to work hard all his career and savoured every minute of it like it was his last. Drinkwater is interested in only one thing - and it ain’t playing football....it’s getting paid to not play football

https://www.the42.ie/damien-delaney-int ... 2-Jul2019/

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:46 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm
Nope - overlooking is what you did by not even knowing the post I responded to and thinking you were being clever by chipping in with another stupid response.

Of course IF gets you out of everything - IF he sorted himself out and started playing like he was 4 or 5 years ago then yes I agree that he would be good enough.

But all the evidence suggests he can’t. In fact all the evidence suggests he has tried and he cannot get anywhere near it....and the reason I know that is because he’s been trying for 4 years so what do you think is going to change now.

As for using Delaney as an example of what Drinkwater could do - again you seem to surpass yourself. I could not think of a worse example to use. Drinkwater is the diametric opposite to Delaney who had to work hard all his career and savoured every minute of it like it was his last. Drinkwater is interested in only one thing - and it ain’t playing football....it’s getting paid to not play football

https://www.the42.ie/damien-delaney-int ... 2-Jul2019/
Delaney had problems at ipswich & as a free agent signed for palace & went on to play in the PL so effectively at 1 point until palaces intervention he was close to packing it in, the example was a footballer at a low point like danny drinkwater is now & finding a club & working hard towards another chance, an extension to the career that's the similarity I meant although at this point we don't know where drinkwater will end up although we all have a pretty good idea the best days are well behind, the evidence so far we have is a mixed up individual who's pretty much stagnated since leaving leicester & moving to chelsea, & got himself in all kinds of trouble, it's upto drinkwater the next chance he gets he doesn't blow it as chances will be minimal & the offers less attractive, delaney grabbed his chance, we can't look into future regarding drinkwater time will be the bearer.