Is Dyche fighting his battle on his own

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Is Dyche fighting his battle on his own

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:07 am

Another post match interview telling us all what is clearly obvious - not enough players (numbers never mind quality) to cover all positions

Each interview ends with a clear message - "it's in the hands of the Chairman"

We clearly know SD's position but what about the other so called key figures within the club

Rigg seems to have produced very little since his appointment and I just wonder who's corner he is in during this apparent internal breakdown. I assume we have entered into some transfer negotiations during this window but does Rigg get involved, as it could be the stance/tactics that MG uses during such negotiations that fails to get any deals over the line

And what of JB, who was heralded as a man of the supporters for getting the beers in at a few games. Are he and the rest of the directors watching this somewhat personal battle get out of control without getting involved. I get that, as majority shareholder, MG has the final say but are they all just sitting back and watching what appears to be a bit of an implosion within the club

And finally there are the supporters who, due to covid/non attendance, are unable to voice any opinion, pretty much other than on this messageboard

Interesting to think that had we been back to normal attendances would the "crowd" have shown loyalty to SD or MG during this saga

Everything seems to be very quiet from the Chairman at the moment and the idea of no protests during games will certainly help to deflect any bad publicity towards him

Still, just over 2 weeks to go before we see whether Garlick is seen to be able to want to support the manager

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Re: Is Dyche fighting his battle on his own

Post by bodge » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:17 am

As i understand it there are monthly board meetings attended by the manager where i would think all Directors would have their say.

In terms of protests we are a million miles from that, we still don't know how many players are going to join us.

I'm not downplaying the frustration we all feel about the perceived lack of activity and clearly that is shared by SD but we are fast approaching the point where he has to be backed given the requirement to overhaul the squad in the next 12 months.

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am

Will we see a signing before October?
I dont think so

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:22 am

Nope, we’re fighting the battle with Sean. He has the backing of quite literally every Burnley supporter. Garlick might be the boss but his 90,000 warriors are in the arena with the manager.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:23 am

Ive asked the question a number of times regarding what our less well known directors actually do, we have a number of over 70s on the board who we know little about and never hear about, or from

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:33 am

It's going to come to a head soon ..what that will entail I dont know ...but we cant keep on going like this ...and before someone says we always leave our incomings late in the window ...this is different ..no reports of bids for players or linked with any for that matter ...the club seems like its stalemate

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:37 am

I don't think it is that Mike Rigg has produced very little.

It's that the board and Garlick are asking him and Dyche to work miracles.

Eventually the finances have to stretch, it will come to a point where we either have to take a gamble or be left behind.

In Sean, at least we have someone who can mitigate that gamble through pure motivation and tactical knowledge.

I fear that we're in a game of chicken here and Dyche will be the one to blink first.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am
Will we see a signing before October?
I dont think so
I strongly think we will, and I'll even go and say they'll blow your expectations by saying it'll be at least 2, if not more.
This user liked this post: KateR

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am

It's pretty clear that we don't have the money to fund Sean Dyche's wants list.
I wouldn't blame the chairman for not being rich enough.
This user liked this post: KateR

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:22 am
Nope, we’re fighting the battle with Sean. He has the backing of quite literally every Burnley supporter. Garlick might be the boss but his 90,000 warriors are in the arena with the manager.
Not sure I would agree with you
Yes the majority will support the manager
But you only need to read the many threads on the subject, you will find the chairman has many supporting his methods
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubclaret KateR

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:50 am

it is a very peculiar situation to be in, best manager in decades arrives, produces miraculous results against all the odds, attains promotion to the highest league and secures the team in that division. Achieves a top ten finish on a shoestring, but then as we embark on another season, barely enough bodies to adequately pad out a first team effectively for the campaign.
That just can't be right, not good enough, and manager, staff, and supporters are right to be alarmed.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Does this rumoured 'takeover' by foreign investors have anything to do with the lack of spending? Someone told me that, under those sort of circumstances, it's usual for Clubs to stop spending.
Agree that, even if this is true, SD needs some support in terms of new players. With JBG now out injured, he'll be turning to supporters to fill the bench soon................
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Probably not helping that this is all being played out in public on Dyche’s part (understandably). Silence from Garlick and the board on the eve of the new season is bizarre.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 pm

There's obviously something going on - more than just a breakdown in spending transfer funds. Dyche can only perform his role to the best of his ability, unfortunately for him, his reputation is based on the type of players he brings in and the results and he is being hindered by things outside his control.

All his can do is say is that 'it's up to the Chairman' because that's what it is. However, I think there is a major distraction that is hindering the release of funds too - and I suspect it's potentially a pending takeover...and it's closer than we suspect, or there have been delays in its progress - does the chairman want to spend on major assets or would new owners prefer a clean slate or something? I don't know how these things work though...

I suppose a basic analogy is - why spend loads of money re-decorating your home to your personal taste if you know you're going to sell. Buyers might be put off becuase of the expense of re-decorating again.

Historically though, the board have always backed Dyche to some extent and managers and fans pressure the board to show more ambition.... but this is a situation unlike no other because the club isn't pleading poverty, and with social media being the finger-on-the-pulse with rumours, there doesn't seem to be a lot of speculation of incomings. It's really weird.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am
Not sure I would agree with you
Yes the majority will support the manager
But you only need to read the many threads on the subject, you will find the chairman has many supporting his methods
I agree, I've also noticed more & more are also becoming annoyed with SD everytime he appears to be critical in the media, something's are best kept in house to keep everybody & everything onside.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am
I strongly think we will, and I'll even go and say they'll blow your expectations by saying it'll be at least 2, if not more.
No chance

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:12 pm
I agree, I've also noticed more & more are also becoming annoyed with SD everytime he appears to be critical in the media, something's are best kept in house to keep everybody & everything onside.
But the lack of action, or even comment, from the boardroom only fuels more discord amongst the fans as to what the financial situation is, that has got us to this stage

This silence from MG will not keep everybody and everything onside

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1089 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Garlick is trying to protect the value of his investment but it is stalling the clubs progress. He’s done very well so far but can’t take us further or even consolidate the point we have reached going forward.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm
No chance
Get a bet on and win some money then

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Its alright people being critical about SD bemoaning we need to find extra players, but at least there is some communication from him. Everyone else seems to be hiding.We do have a PR department and we have a recruitment team-and we hear today(from SD of course) that we are not close to anyone joining. I would have thought allowing for talks, terms etc there is a two week period for these things to happen and be buttoned down, and that coincides with the window closing.

If we are not careful, in about 4-5 weeks we could see the first PL manager casualty.It could be Palace or even Leicester-you just dont know. If SD gets no support he can turn round and say he warned us in June/July and he has been calling for some funds ever since. He has had no support and feels he cannot improve the team and now needs to consider his own career having served the club well.

As a successful business man surely MG values the absolute importance of customers and the need to communicate and keep them informed. He must surely also appreciate there is huge frustration in our fan base who fear the loss of our manager and our inevitable loss of our PL status. I am sure if SD goes his assistant and main coach will almost certainly follow him.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:01 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:23 am
Ive asked the question a number of times regarding what our less well known directors actually do, we have a number of over 70s on the board who we know little about and never hear about, or from
I presume you're referring to people like Clive "The Power Behind the Throne" Holt?
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:39 pm
Its alright people being critical about SD bemoaning we need to find extra players, but at least there is some communication from him. Everyone else seems to be hiding.We do have a PR department and we have a recruitment team-and we hear today(from SD of course) that we are not close to anyone joining. I would have thought allowing for talks, terms etc there is a two week period for these things to happen and be buttoned down, and that coincides with the window closing.

If we are not careful, in about 4-5 weeks we could see the first PL manager casualty.It could be Palace or even Leicester-you just dont know. If SD gets no support he can turn round and say he warned us in June/July and he has been calling for some funds ever since. He has had no support and feels he cannot improve the team and now needs to consider his own career having served the club well.

As a successful business man surely MG values the absolute importance of customers and the need to communicate and keep them informed. He must surely also appreciate there is huge frustration in our fan base who fear the loss of our manager and our inevitable loss of our PL status. I am sure if SD goes his assistant and main coach will almost certainly follow him.
IF there is a pending takeover, I think Dyche will be kept in the loop because it's affecting his role at the club, but at the same time, it's not his place to interfere or to share information - the club has kept very quiet about it with only vague details making into the public domain. So, as far as it's frustrating for Sean Dyche he can only deflect it back to the Chairman.

As for him leaving - that Dyches prerogative... or is he better off riding the wave and hope for funds when we have new owners/investment... or jump before he is pushed because new owners often mean new managerial appointments. Or.... are we basically screwed?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 pm
IF there is a pending takeover, I think Dyche will be kept in the loop because it's affecting his role at the club, but at the same time, it's not his place to interfere or to share information - the club has kept very quiet about it with only vague details making into the public domain. So, as far as it's frustrating for Sean Dyche he can only deflect it back to the Chairman.

As for him leaving - that Dyches prerogative... or is he better off riding the wave and hope for funds when we have new owners/investment... or jump before he is pushed because new owners often mean new managerial appointments. Or.... are we basically screwed?
Yes

No

I don’t know

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:20 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:07 am
Another post match interview telling us all what is clearly obvious - not enough players (numbers never mind quality) to cover all positions

Each interview ends with a clear message - "it's in the hands of the Chairman"

We clearly know SD's position but what about the other so called key figures within the club

Rigg seems to have produced very little since his appointment and I just wonder who's corner he is in during this apparent internal breakdown. I assume we have entered into some transfer negotiations during this window but does Rigg get involved, as it could be the stance/tactics that MG uses during such negotiations that fails to get any deals over the line

And what of JB, who was heralded as a man of the supporters for getting the beers in at a few games. Are he and the rest of the directors watching this somewhat personal battle get out of control without getting involved. I get that, as majority shareholder, MG has the final say but are they all just sitting back and watching what appears to be a bit of an implosion within the club

And finally there are the supporters who, due to covid/non attendance, are unable to voice any opinion, pretty much other than on this messageboard

Interesting to think that had we been back to normal attendances would the "crowd" have shown loyalty to SD or MG during this saga

Everything seems to be very quiet from the Chairman at the moment and the idea of no protests during games will certainly help to deflect any bad publicity towards him

Still, just over 2 weeks to go before we see whether Garlick is seen to be able to want to support the manager

Might just be that players are reluctant to come and commit when history tells you that they might not see much first team action for a while with how Dyche operates - we are the only club who could sign a new player during the week but could be months before they make their dubut

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Just heard an interesting discussion on Radio 5 live about investing in sport, specifically cricket and the IPL.
They highlighted the perils of investment in lower end premier league clubs, given the uncertainty of relegation.
It made me think that a potential takeover may be very difficult and could help explain the ongoing silence from MG.
I do see us making a couple of signings, but any takeover could be a long process.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 451 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:31 pm

90,000 of us , get the new stadium built !!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:50 am
it is a very peculiar situation to be in, best manager in decades arrives, produces miraculous results against all the odds, attains promotion to the highest league and secures the team in that division. Achieves a top ten finish on a shoestring, but then as we embark on another season, barely enough bodies to adequately pad out a first team effectively for the campaign.
That just can't be right, not good enough, and manager, staff, and supporters are right to be alarmed.
Couldn't agree more - can't see much changing though unfortunately. No one seemed to want to believe me some time ago but manager and chairman seem to continue to be at loggerheads and ultimately there will only be one solution and that will be one of them having to go. It doesn't take a genius to work out which one of the two it will be either.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Couldn't agree more - can't see much changing though unfortunately. No one seemed to want to believe me some time ago but manager and chairman seem to continue to be at loggerheads and ultimately there will only be one solution and that will be one of them having to go. It doesn't take a genius to work out which one of the two it will be either.
What does MG see as the endgame in all this Tony ?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 pm

There are a number of things to consider here and I am not denying that Dyche appears frustrated

Dyche and the players front up to the media because they contractually obliged to under the terms of the broadcast deals

Dyche knows all the issues: contracts; squad size/age; injuries; transfer window are in the public realm and that he will have to face relentless (to use a Dychian word) questioning on those subjects. He knows he needs to deflect any additional pressure from the players, so passes the buck upwards confident after years of working together in the steadfastness of the Chairman and the unwavering support he gives - it is likely to have been talked about in advance, they are a team too.

The players keep on message - the support the manager "we could use a few more to help through the season", they are not negative about the clubs approach - the club has been very good to them with no issues over wages or bonuses at a difficult time.

A director with a now minor shareholding known for his bullish approach and a taste for self-publicity uses the situation as a way into the media to publicise his latest business venture.

The Chairman does exactly what he is supposed to do, makes a bland statement at the beginning of the season and keeps quiet, no doubt working hard in the background to keep the club going, staff secure in their jobs and finding room in a budget (where no one knows what the actual revenue is likely to be) so he can plug those holes in the squad.

The Chairman is quite probably as frustrated as everyone else but carries the burden of the 250 or so people employed by the club and their families, together with the hopes and needs that the club meets for the local economy - very few know that burden or are able to carry it so stoically and with dignity.

Then there there is the continuing search to not just bring new investment into the club but to try and do the right thing by the club by seeking (as much is possible) to ensure that any new investor(s) is the "right sort" for our club

Adding to that you have big clubs continually trying to shape the game to suit them and them alone, the EFL, most of the media, politicians and the country demanding that football (EFL, The women's game, Non League, grassroots and the FA), is financially dug out by the Premier League - the league that lost around a £1billion in revenues last season and is on course to lose even more this season.

I haven't begun to consider what his day job and own business circumstances are going through
These 5 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Leisure NewClaret KateR Paul Waine

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Hbclaret007 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm
Just heard an interesting discussion on Radio 5 live about investing in sport, specifically cricket and the IPL.
They highlighted the perils of investment in lower end premier league clubs, given the uncertainty of relegation.
It made me think that a potential takeover may be very difficult and could help explain the ongoing silence from MG.
I do see us making a couple of signings, but any takeover could be a long process.
I think, outside the big clubs, football is a very poor investment. Primarily because clubs tend not to make profit and are not run like traditional businesses in that sense; their goal is to achieve sporting success, not profit. For that reason, I’m always very dubious about why a “consortium” would want to invest when there is better money to be made elsewhere. I can understand a wealthy individual, either for the love of the club or a trophy asset, but not a consortium.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Honestly think there would be a revolt though Tony. Garlick knows who’s side the fans are on. If they turn, or he losses Dyche, it won’t be good news for any takeover prospects and his exit plan. Garlick needs to start backing the manager and quickly.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 pm
There are a number of things to consider here and I am not denying that Dyche appears frustrated

Dyche and the players front up to the media because they contractually obliged to under the terms of the broadcast deals

Dyche knows all the issues: contracts; squad size/age; injuries; transfer window are in the public realm and that he will have to face relentless (to use a Dychian word) questioning on those subjects. He knows he needs to deflect any additional pressure from the players, so passes the buck upwards confident after years of working together in the steadfastness of the Chairman and the unwavering support he gives - it is likely to have been talked about in advance, they are a team too.

The players keep on message - the support the manager "we could use a few more to help through the season", they are not negative about the clubs approach - the club has been very good to them with no issues over wages or bonuses at a difficult time.

A director with a now minor shareholding known for his bullish approach and a taste for self-publicity uses the situation as a way into the media to publicise his latest business venture.

The Chairman does exactly what he is supposed to do, makes a bland statement at the beginning of the season and keeps quiet, no doubt working hard in the background to keep the club going, staff secure in their jobs and finding room in a budget (where no one knows what the actual revenue is likely to be) so he can plug those holes in the squad.

The Chairman is quite probably as frustrated as everyone else but carries the burden of the 250 or so people employed by the club and their families, together with the hopes and needs that the club meets for the local economy - very few know that burden or are able to carry it so stoically and with dignity.

Then there there is the continuing search to not just bring new investment into the club but to try and do the right thing by the club by seeking (as much is possible) to ensure that any new investor(s) is the "right sort" for our club

Adding to that you have big clubs continually trying to shape the game to suit them and them alone, the EFL, most of the media, politicians and the country demanding that football (EFL, The women's game, Non League, grassroots and the FA), is financially dug out by the Premier League - the league that lost around a £1billion in revenues last season and is on course to lose even more this season.

I haven't begun to consider what his day job and own business circumstances are going through
Chester ..:PLEASE stop posting rational balanced posts when hysterical ranting and “ sack the board “ “ give SD 100m “ are far more apt on the forum
These 2 users liked this post: KateR rob63

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Let's be honest, if there is a takeover on the horizon, then it's very difficult to complete negotiations and be spending money at the same time. After all, whoever might buy the club will natually want to know to the last pound, what he's getting for his money.

Hopefully, the lack of spending is an indication that any such takeover is quite close. If there is one, let's hope it concludes quickly and we can move forward. If there isn't, well, I'm not sure what's going on. Whatever it is, I hope it's in the best long term interests of the club.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm
Let's be honest, if there is a takeover on the horizon
Is there?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:07 pm
Is there?
I don't know Tony. I really don't, but we keep hearing about 'Two American groups' who are interested in taking a stake.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:20 pm

All I know is that we play our first league game of the season in 2 days time and we have let 4 first team squad players leave and signed none. We have 3 senior players unavailable and a fourth one appeared to sustain a bad injury yesterday. It would also seem that at least 2 premier league clubs are trying to sign arguably our best player and that our Chairman and Manager are at loggerheads

Apart from the above and Covid everything is wonderful
These 3 users liked this post: warksclaret joey13 mybloodisclaret

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

Great post

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm
Chester ..:PLEASE stop posting rational balanced posts when hysterical ranting and “ sack the board “ “ give SD 100m “ are far more apt on the forum
Who’s asking to spend 100m ,ridiculous comment

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Not to over simplify it but:

Garlick has publicly stated his "ambition" every year is to finish 17th in the PL.

Dyche has publicly stated his ambition is to improve the team every year. That would mean 9th place.

There's a long way, and a big difference financially, between those two ambitions.

Garlick is probably believes he can realize his ambition with the current squad. A bit tight, but could probably happen and given the uncertainty around COVID, his chosen direction for the club. Even relegation would not be the end of the world.

Dyche wants to push on not only for the club, but for his own personal ambitions. Another relegation on his CV will put a big dent in his chances of managing a bigger club.

Hence, we have a problem.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Would Garlick prefer us in the Championship? We got two seasons of parachute payments and lower costs of wages.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Lord_Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Garlick has publicly stated his "ambition" every year is to finish 17th in the PL.

Dyche has publicly stated his ambition is to improve the team every year. That would mean 9th place.

There's a long way, and a big difference financially, between those two ambitions.

Garlick is probably believes he can realize his ambition with the current squad. A bit tight, but could probably happen and given the uncertainty around COVID, his chosen direction for the club. Even relegation would not be the end of the world.

Dyche wants to push on not only for the club, but for his own personal ambitions. Another relegation on his CV will put a big dent in his chances of managing a bigger club.

That's a bit unfair, to say the least. I don't think Garlick has ever said that his "ambition" every year is to finish 17th in the PL. No lower than 17th maybe, but that's totally different.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:46 pm

Lord_Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Garlick states the 17th because that means Premier League status ensured with all the associated benefits to the club and town

It is not improve the team it is improve the club that Dyche has talked about (and yes Garlick has been very much on board with that)

Dyche has also stated many times that that improvement is not necessarily related to final league position - much has been related to working environment, Academy (now employing nearly 100 people) and backroom staff.

It would be difficult to say the club has not improved year on year or that the squad and the way we play has not improved year on year - that is being challenged by the current financial climate for the current season but we should not forget what has happened to get here
These 2 users liked this post: Gordaleman Ashingtonclaret46

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 pm

KefkaClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm
Would Garlick prefer us in the Championship? We got two seasons of parachute payments and lower costs of wages.
No.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

That was all a bit too balanced. I missed this part entirely, what's it in reference to?

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Any organisation that wants to take over the club and, at the same time, actually knows a bit about football should be wary of a team that is clearly way short in player numbers that cannot be improved upon until next Jan
With no potential incomings in the next two weeks we look increasingly likely to be in a relegation fight so why invest in such a risk
If SD does attend all monthly board meetings then he would surely have knowledge of any potential investors and would therefore maintain a dignified silence

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Dyche is just waiting for the first half decent opportunity to present itself somewhere else and he’ll be gone, won’t he?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:18 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:05 pm
That was all a bit too balanced. I missed this part entirely, what's it in reference to?
Flood shooting his mouth off again.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:19 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:05 pm
Flood's recent pieces in the Daily Mail - he has just launched a global Masters Degree course in Sports Management which has featured extensively in the trade and educational press but this got mentions in the wider sphere

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49674 this was about one of them

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:13 pm
Dyche is just waiting for the first half decent opportunity to present itself somewhere else and he’ll be gone, won’t he?
Unfortunately yes

He has taken this club as far as he can on a regular limited budget but if this summer sees no budget at all then who could blame him

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:19 pm
Flood's recent pieces in the Daily Mail - he has just launched a global Masters Degree course in Sports Management which has featured extensively in the trade and educational press but this got mentions in the wider sphere

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49674 this was about one of them
Cheers both, that was who I guessed but I hadn't seen anything.