BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER/AUTUMN 2020 (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RN_Claret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by RN_Claret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 pm

67 pages and apart from the Stephens rumour ... FFS! Small squad, lots of injuries and just started the season. So depressing. Because of those things, I for one will be happy to get a cut-price Stephens to bolster the squad. All hands on deck!

RN_Claret

Post by RN_Claret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Correction: 68 pages :-(

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Things I don't get that seem to be repeated often:
Clubs are selling cheap, if you're desperate you want more for your assets and everyone know BFC want players, are short, so if you want our assets you pay, no fire sale here, you're a PL club. They will have the same thoughts as many here and the second point.

You've been in and out of the PL for years, look at all the money you made, stop pointing to poverty, you must have loads. Yet financials are shown, as well as the revenue there has been a lot of outgoing, as we got safer and more sure, the total wage bill has risen, training facilities upgraded massively.

We let people go, certain section screaming about this, now we might be back filling the Hendrick role, people still screaming, I think DS can do just as well as JH and fill that squad role and allow JB to move to a more right winger role, we need bodies, he's a proven PL player.

Recruitment is the worst, 2 top 10 finishes in the last 3 years say the whole BFC machine are doing ok, totally agree it can be better but it isn't as bad as some/few make out and a moot point because it is what we have and I am waiting to see what the final results are of the incomings.

The board have to balance the books as best they can, we must all realise that no fans, no shop sales equals a season with less revenue is an absolute given, trimming of operating expenses are therefore a given unless they are willing to go in the red, I don't think they are so we need to be realistic about who will be arriving.

It seems some feel that DS will be the only incoming, I don't, those so called clubs who are having a fire sale will also realise that the closer to the end of the window there ability to sell for what they want diminishes accordingly. Easy to be adamant with 5/6 weeks to go, less so when it is 1/2 weeks to go and you know you will have to balance the finances

I am not mentioning younger players, as I do get that and yes that has to be a preference but DS at >25 would be a lot more than he is going for now, if he is going.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Juan Tanamera

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm

RN_Claret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm
Correction: 68 pages :-(
Hi RN, I'm not sure we can let you do that, post twice and be the first 2 posts on page 68... It's only 68 pages of "transfer debate and discussion" when the 68th page has been completed. Unless someone else has added while I'm typing then there are still a further 47 posts required before we can claim "68 pages." ;)

UTC

EDIT: There you go, I predicted someone else would post before I completed this post. So, 46 more to fill the 68th page. ;)
This user liked this post: RN_Claret

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Potter - "i haven't heard anything, ive been out training this morning, he is still our player"

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Graham Potter's update on Dale Stephens after Burnley bid

The midfielder has been subject of a bid from Burnley.
It is unclear whether he will be involved at Deepdale in the thrid-round tie although he is fit and, as things stand, available.
Head coach Potter said this afternoon: "I haven’t heard anything. I’ve been out training this morning. He’s still our player."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/187392 ... rnley-bid/

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

If we can't get Stephens over the line at the prices being quoted then we really have gone backwards!!
More players are becoming available as teams start to look at thinning their squads. Southampton looking at Tom Davies, Southampton looking for offers for Sofiane Boufal 27-year-old winger played 20 ties last season.
I can see more becoming available like this plus after today's news of no fans immediate return Championship clubs having to sell.
There really is no excuse not to add to the squad at this point even with our finances.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 am
So he's "certainly" not the best we can do but you're happy with it and think it makes sense? Think that sums it up. If there's by far better we can do then why should we settle for much less than that on big wages (thus limiting our other options)?

Let's just think about this. We've got Hart, Lennon, Hendrick and Gibson off the wage bill that probably saves us around £120k a week (assuming we're still paying some of Gibson's). Norris in on ~£10k a week, so that's £110k. Then we'll want to save some money due to COVID losses, let's be kind and assume Garlick only wants to knock £20k a week off the budget. That's our available wage budget at £90k. Stephens isn't going to take a pay cut but let's be kind and assume no increase so he'll be on £30k. So potentially a third of our wage budget will be taken up by someone you're happy to admit is "certainly" not the best we can do, will eventually be 4th choice in his position in a matter of months then sit around on big wages for a what remains of his deal (at least a 2 year one) before eventually leaving for nothing, probably only just sneaking into double figures for starts.
I thought we had agreed we were going around in circles?

It's not difficult to understand, we could do better than Stephens but we don't need to. We would have to spend a lot of money to sign a player who is significantly better than our current midfielders. We need a 3rd/4th choice midfielder and Stephens would be a good signing to fill that position. There are more urgent positions that need strengthening than central midfield so I'd prefer us to focus a bigger proportion of our tiny budget to improving those positions and accept that Stephens would be a perfectly able, ready to step into the side, squad player.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 pm

leightonjameslegend wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm
If we can't get Stephens over the line at the prices being quoted then we really have gone backwards!!
More players are becoming available as teams start to look at thinning their squads. Southampton looking at Tom Davies, Southampton looking for offers for Sofiane Boufal 27-year-old winger played 20 ties last season.
I can see more becoming available like this plus after today's news of no fans immediate return Championship clubs having to sell.
There really is no excuse not to add to the squad at this point even with our finances.
I think this is why we've been taking so long to make a real move for anybody. We're waiting for other clubs to do their business and see what's left to pick from.
This user liked this post: whiffa

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:35 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm
To the bed wetters.....the above post is 100% spot on and from someone who at last knows what they are talking about and not happy with just getting by, we are season by season getting weaker.
The season before last: 15th;
last season: 10th.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 pm
I thought we had agreed we were going around in circles?

It's not difficult to understand, we could do better than Stephens but we don't need to. We would have to spend a lot of money to sign a player who is significantly better than our current midfielders. We need a 3rd/4th choice midfielder and Stephens would be a good signing to fill that position. There are more urgent positions that need strengthening than central midfield so I'd prefer us to focus a bigger proportion of our tiny budget to improving those positions and accept that Stephens would be a perfectly able, ready to step into the side, squad player.
That was before you said we could "certainly do better". I was operating on the understanding you thought Stephens would be a good signing, by saying you think we can "certainly do better" you obviously don't think it's very good.

What I find difficult to understand is that you admit we have a tiny budget yet you think it's a good move to commit £30k a week to a 4th choice player with no resale value, therefore making that budget even smaller both in the short and long term (due to having 0 resale value).

You're also still stuck on the idea I want us to sign someone significantly better than what we have when I've repeatedly said that's not what I'd advocate, I'm suggesting we get someone younger who can fill in as 4th choice in the short term but with the potential to develop into a starter in time (eventually taking the place of another one of our ageing players).

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm
To the bed wetters.....the above post is 100% spot on and from someone who at last knows what they are talking about and not happy with just getting by, we are season by season getting weaker.
Finished 10th last season, with a joint record points tally.
Grow a pair, or grow up

RN_Claret

Post by RN_Claret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Hi RN, I'm not sure we can let you do that, post twice and be the first 2 posts on page 68... It's only 68 pages of "transfer debate and discussion" when the 68th page has been completed. Unless someone else has added while I'm typing then there are still a further 47 posts required before we can claim "68 pages." ;)

UTC

EDIT: There you go, I predicted someone else would post before I completed this post. So, 46 more to fill the 68th page. ;)
We're getting closer all the time Paul :lol:
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 pm
We're waiting for other clubs to do their business and see what's left to pick from.

Other clubs, agents, players.
Why people can't put themselves in any of those other's shoes and ask why you'd do an early deal with a club of limited resources before you've waited to see what else might come in.
68 wasted pages of people who can't get their head around this.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm
That was before you said we could "certainly do better". I was operating on the understanding you thought Stephens would be a good signing, by saying you think we can "certainly do better" you obviously don't think it's very good.

What I find difficult to understand is that you admit we have a tiny budget yet you think it's a good move to commit £30k a week to a 4th choice player with no resale value, therefore making that budget even smaller both in the short and long term (due to having 0 resale value).

You're also still stuck on the idea I want us to sign someone significantly better than what we have when I've repeatedly said that's not what I'd advocate, I'm suggesting we get someone younger who can fill in as 4th choice in the short term but with the potential to develop into a starter in time (eventually taking the place of another one of our ageing players).
I may not be the most eloquent poster on here but I don't think that my comments have been very hard to comprehend. I do think that Stephens would be a good signing, and have said so. Why are you trying to put words into my mouth? It is possible to think that Stephens would be a good signing whilst simultaneously holding the view that we could sign better.

I think that signing a fourth choice midfielder for relative peanuts and paying him what you're suggesting is well below the going rate for an experienced PL player is a good move, yes.

You would like us to sign a young player who is unproven at this level which, with a single injury to Westwood, would leave us with two players with hardly any experience in our midfield. That's fine, I accept your opinion, I just disagree. I would personally prefer someone with experience in case that scenario came to pass, in the same way that I would like a CB with PL experience as an alternative to Jimmy Dunne.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm

I can see the reasons why there could be some new players available nearer to the window closing, though there is a risk that may not be the case. Championship clubs might just try to ship out lesser quality players instead. If good players DO become available in about 10 days you can be assured they will be snapped up by clubs who just don't mess around ie pay the asking price and get close to the player's demands. I am basing this on the last 6-7 windows

Get Stephens snapped up before another PL club gets an injury and move swiftly to sign him under our noses

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 pm

:ugeek:
TsarBomba wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:19 am
It’s such a sorry state of affairs that we’re looking at signings as purely additions.

We’re not looking at age, resale value, or improving the quality of the squad.

Just get someone in. Anyone.
It is, but given the situation Stephens is proven at this level and is a much needed body.

The club will certainly be better placed to make better signings in the future. Sadly the whole covid thing put an end to proper recruitment which probably means our rumoured sub par recruitment team will still be in a job.

Besides it's all speculation, and we may sign others too if the price is right.

I have no clue at all why posters keep feeling the need to call this thread pointless or going round in circles. Why not instead taking a dig at others realise this is a discussion in a forum full of concerned Burnley fans. I don't mind one bit if someone seems concerned, but I also understand the financial constraints. I don't see how anyone has the right to tell others what's right, wrong or pointless. Maybe people just enjoy the discussion?

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Get rid of hendrick
Sign a 31 stephens
No sense

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 pm
Get rid of hendrick
Sign a 31 stephens
No sense
Hendrick didn't renew his contract.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:37 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm
Get Stephens snapped up before another PL club gets an injury and move swiftly to sign him under our noses
The only other club interested in Stephens is Boro.

Tells you everything you need to know.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Forest agree fee with Aberdeen for McKenna, 3m plus 2m add ons, we should have been looking at that price.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:42 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 pm
Forest agree fee with Aberdeen for McKenna, 3m plus 2m add ons, we should have been looking at that price.
what if we did and we didnt think he was good enough?

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:37 pm
The only other club interested in Stephens is Boro.

Tells you everything you need to know.
That can soon change in the next few days. WE are very good through our stalling at announcing someone is available

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:52 pm
Things I don't get that seem to be repeated often:
Clubs are selling cheap, if you're desperate you want more for your assets and everyone know BFC want players, are short, so if you want our assets you pay, no fire sale here, you're a PL club. They will have the same thoughts as many here and the second point.

You've been in and out of the PL for years, look at all the money you made, stop pointing to poverty, you must have loads. Yet financials are shown, as well as the revenue there has been a lot of outgoing, as we got safer and more sure, the total wage bill has risen, training facilities upgraded massively.
Quite a few players have gone for cheap prices in this window. Our financial position and EPL status doesn't ensure that clubs will ask for more money. Sheffield Utd purchased both Lowe and Bogle for a basic fee of £7m ( no doubt there will be some additions on top of that. Derby didn't hold them to ransom because of their EPL status or their rich backer. A club will take what they can get.

The most recent is Scott McKenna, a left sided centre back Nottingham Forrest are looking to sign for £3.5m with add ons. That is how highly they rate the performance of Joe Worrall on the left. Or maybe they are going to sign Scott Mc Kenna for a cheap price and then sell us Worrall for an expensive price - even though we actually need a left sided centre back in this window.

Now, in respect to our desperation, that is our own doing. We could have kept Lennon on the books by giving him a one year extension. That would have cost us in the region of 1-2m. If, as you say, clubs might attempt to capitalise on our desperation then we could end up paying 1-2m over the price they would take from a club that wasn't daft enough to put themselves in a poor position. Had we done that we would have had a lot more playing options, not seemed so desperate and had an extra player on our books for the coming season.

However, the implications of what appears to be our transfer strategy could have been a lot worse. Had Brownhill not dropped into our lucky laps in the Winter window and had we not done a U-turn with Bardslet the consequences would have been catastrophic. I can't help but wonder if we weren't tempted to take the money for Wells and pass up on the opportunity to sign Brownhill, viewing it as another " Vokesy " money shot in the arm for Summer.

During the Winter window it was made clear in press releases what our strategy was. Don't expect us to do much, we will loiter around crossing our fingers that something will crop up that we can act on. We basically rolled the dice and happily fortune smiled on us, but that isn't a transfer strategy it is risky and dangerous.

Had we not signed Brownhill ( who wasn't on our active transfer list during the Summer ) and given Bardsley a new contract consider how things would have played out, running with a thread bare squad.

We lose Lowton and have no other right back. Tark moves to right back and bring in Long. Then we lose Mee. That would have screwed us over, either no right back or no central defender. Following on we lose Cork and having lost Hendrick we would have had nobody to fill in without Brownhill. A lot has been made of Pieters in midfield, but had we kept Lennon around he wouldn't have had to play there. Moving on, if lady luck hadn't thrown Brownhill into our arms we would currently be in the market for two central midfielders, when we are struggling to sign one.

All things considered, given our risky transfer strategy, we were very fortunate with the way things played out and even more fortunate to have a squad of players that can perform minor miracles to save us from the impending doom of our " balls in a blender " planning.
KateR wrote:
We let people go, certain section screaming about this, now we might be back filling the Hendrick role, people still screaming, I think DS can do just as well as JH and fill that squad role and allow JB to move to a more right winger role, we need bodies, he's a proven PL player.
In respect to the idea of Stephens replacing Hendrick that doesn't strike me as astute business. We waited until the very last possible moment to put an attractive offer in front of Hendrick, by which time he was already talking to other clubs with one foot our of the door. We could have made him a very tempting offer way before then. Giving him the transfer fee we may spend on Stephens as a signing bonus, his 40K a week and assurances he would play more in central midfield. He had to play out on the right because we had nobody else that could do it. The arrival of Brownhill gave us another option which we should have used to convince Jeff he would get to play more in his preferred role.

As an aside, didn't Jeff do well for Newcastle in their first match, playing out on the right. They also had St Martin ( playing the Mc Neil Role ), Hayden and Shelvey ( playing as Cork and Westwood), Wilson and Carroll masquerading as Wood and Barnes and the newly signed Lewis mirroring Taylor. Steve Bruce didn't just take Hendrick he seems to have adopted our playing system.

The upshot is that we lost a player with a market value of £10m+ and saddled ourselves with a need to sign a new central midfielder, which our recruitment team appear to be failing to do. Even if we bring in Stephens as a replacement our transfer strategy ( and trying to nickle and dime Hendrick ) it will constitute the wiping of £10+ off our balance sheet and put an older player on our books for who knows how long. In essence that will be like spending £10m+ to get worse.
KateR wrote:
Recruitment is the worst, 2 top 10 finishes in the last 3 years say the whole BFC machine are doing ok, totally agree it can be better but it isn't as bad as some/few make out and a moot point because it is what we have and I am waiting to see what the final results are of the incomings.
Our transfer windows over the last three years have been very poor. What is a mystery to me is why people pull out the " we have placed well in the last 3 seasons " card. We have done well in respect to our league positions in spite of our recruitment, not because of it. The players who got us those results were all signed over three years ago. In terms of active playing time Pieters and Jay are the only new additions that have made a regular contribution.

Pieters was awful as a wing back ( the position we signed him to fill ), we were leaking goals for fun at the start of the season. Jay Rod has done well, but he has only played so much because of the injury to Barnes and being above Vydra in the pecking order.

Considering that we qualified for Europe, and our visibility was at an all time high, our recruitment in the 17/18 Summer window was poor. For me, that was the first time we ended up doing most of our business at the end of a window. Martin Hodge was heading up our recruitment activities then, but I'm not blaming him. He was brought to the club as a match analyst ( not a recruitment specialist ) and he had to swap roles when Mc Parland left. I should also point out that Mc Parland did more in the short time he was with us than Mike Rigg has done in over 2 years, with fewer resources.
KateR wrote:
The board have to balance the books as best they can, we must all realise that no fans, no shop sales equals a season with less revenue is an absolute given, trimming of operating expenses are therefore a given unless they are willing to go in the red, I don't think they are so we need to be realistic about who will be arriving.
The board have only managed to post a profit in our previous seasons as a consequence of selling off players for a lot of money. We are spending everything we get from the EPL just to keep our ship afloat. We need a transfer revenue stream and we won't get that by increasing the number of depreciating value assets in our playing squad.

If a young player comes into the squad and they do well their value soars, like it did with Mc Neil. However, if an established veteran gets a few matches and they do well their monetary value remains unchanged. After we have sold Mc Neil, Tarks, Pope and Taylor we will have no assets left. Doing that will also place us at the mercy of our recruitment, because they will have to find us quality replacements at reasonable prices.

When you consider that we might be put in the position of having to sell the club silver ( so to speak ), because of poor recruitment, giving the people directly responsible for that outcome the proceeds from those sales and expecting them to turn things around is more likely to go wrong than right. I'm guessing the argument will be that, given more money and options we will perform better.

However, when Mike Rigg was at Man City he had Abu Dabi billions and a blank cheque book at his disposal. He had everything that a Technical Director needs to succeed and he spent in the region of 750m on transfer fees, signing on bonuses and agent payments ( not to mention their wages and bonuses ). That was 10 years ago at a time when players cost a lot less. Just to put that level of spending into perspective, it would probably be like spending £2-3bn today. On a cost vs performance basis he got appalling value. If we sold all the club silver we might bring in £150m+, but if Rigg can't perform with a transfer pot of £2-3bn then £150m isn't going to cut it. His performances at QPR and Fulham were even worse and far more destructive for those clubs.

I should point out that as well as wasting huge sums of money at those clubs and negatively affecting the playing performances of their squads one other factor repeated itself. At both of those clubs he used the toxic environment as an excuse for his poor performance, claiming that it made things very difficult. Fulham has always been a bit bonkers, but they managed to reach new heights when he was with them. Despite an owner that isn't blessed with great football knowledge QPR were fairly stable until they hired Rigg. And now our own club appears to be turning into a squalid cess pit, despite the previously strong partnership between our Chairman and Manager. Three clubs and three toxic overspills. It makes a person wonder if Rigg is the victim or partly the cause.
KateR wrote:
It seems some feel that DS will be the only incoming, I don't, those so called clubs who are having a fire sale will also realise that the closer to the end of the window there ability to sell for what they want diminishes accordingly. Easy to be adamant with 5/6 weeks to go, less so when it is 1/2 weeks to go and you know you will have to balance the finances
The idea that prices will get cheaper and clubs will be more inclined to sell is being very optimistic and it fails to take a couple of things into account. Firstly, quite a few clubs have already bolstered their finances by selling players earlier in the window, so they will be reluctant and have no need to sell any more. Secondly, if they sell players late in the window they will only have a few days to find and sign a replacement. They will have seen what happened to Wigan following relegation and they won't want to risk that happening to them, simply to pocket money they can't spend. The clubs with common sense have also improved their financial position by letting higher wage earners at the end of their contracts go, replacing them with back up youths to carry them through, and making other cut backs.
These 3 users liked this post: winsomeyen BOYSIE31 Giftonsnoidea

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 pm
Finished 10th last season, with a joint record points tally.
Grow a pair, or grow up

The season before that 15th the season before that 7th, what's your point ????

I said we are getting weaker.......are you telling me this squad is stronger than last season or the season before that

Over the last three season's we've lost around 12 squad player's (player's that have played in the first team) and brought in 7 and 3 of those are keepers

But if you happy with that then I'm happy for you.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:42 pm
what if we did and we didnt think he was good enough?
He looked pretty decent in the 2 games against us, only 23, plenty of time to improve/resale value.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:05 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:04 pm
He looked pretty decent in the 2 games against us, only 23, plenty of time to improve/resale value.
Maybe so, but we aren't the experts

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:12 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm
Hendrick didn't renew his contract.
Wasnt offered enough to stay
This user liked this post: KateR

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:13 pm

16:42
DYCHE: COUPLE OF ‘MAYBE’ SIGNINGS

Sean Dyche has said there are "a couple of maybes" in terms of potential new signings for Burnley, while once again stressing the club's "difficult task" in transfer windows.

With the current window set to close on October 5, the Clarets have still only made one senior signing since the end of last season, the capture of goalkeeper Will Norris from Wolves.

They have been linked with Brighton's Dale Stephens and, when asked about the midfielder ahead of Wednesday's Carabao Cup trip to Millwall, Dyche said: "We always get names thrown at us - that's not a problem.

"There is a couple of things that are maybes, but not like where it's on the cusp. But I'm still not sure of the guidelines from the chairman and the board, so I'm waiting on that and what they want to do.

"It's always a challenge here. Once I get that (answer to) 'can we get these things done?', that's helpful of course, so we're still waiting on that."

Dyche added: “The truth is the truth, it's been there a long time here - it's always a difficult task, every window has been a massive, massive challenge here, and it continues to be that.”

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:30 pm
This.

Second only to VVD in the defensive statistics last year, who cost £70m from Southampton. Maguire £80m. Are £40m from a Championship club. I’d argue he’s worth more than £50m.
Yeah if he was on a 3/4 year contract he’d be worth £60m at today’s prices, 40m is a cracking deal for a club with ambition, hope he stays tho and goes next year or unlikely signs a new contract when we qualify for the champions league ;)

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 pm
Based on price, or how good he is?

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:28 pm

I think the question is what has Rigg done in his time here, signed Brownhill and Jay Rod which every man and his dog knew was a good move, what else ?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:28 pm
I think the question is what has Rigg done in his time here, signed Brownhill and Jay Rod which every man and his dog knew was a good move, what else ?
If you check his job description he's probably done ok

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:28 pm

He could find the next Messi or Ronaldo, sadly the man who signs the cheques has the last say.
Seeming he wants to have the final decision on everything regardless of whether it's his field of expertise or not, theres no surprise these windows go how they do.

Sadly itll see us lose the best manager for many a generation, and we may not see someone as good for a long time if ever again.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:05 pm
Maybe so, but we aren't the experts
Who exactly are the experts then ?

Our technical Director has a consistent record of poor performance at three other clubs. In order to improve our recruitment he has assembled a team of experts.

Full Time Foreign Scout

Lee Jones was the Head Of Academy and Head of Recruitment for Tranmere when they were a non league club. Upon promotion to League 2 they closed their Academy and instead of keeping him on to oversee their recruitment they released him. Then he joined Swansea as their North Wales Scout.

Head O Recruitment for North / South America

Paulo Araujo was the Head of Sports Marketing For Umbro. Operating within that role he will have gained some awareness of players and made some football contacts. However, he has little to no technical scouting knowledge and only gained his FA Level 1 in talent identification shortly before he joined us - which is a quick and simple online course.

Recruitment Analysts

I can't recall their names off the top of my head. but we brought in two of the guys from the failed Middlesbrough recruitment team that oversaw a costly series of poor analytical transfers. That was enough to drain all of the parachute payments that Middlesbrough received and reduce the value and effectiveness of their squad to its currently depleted status. We also signed up a bloke who is new to full time employment as an analyst.

Overview

That is the foundation of our new all star recruitment team. A League two scout who has specialist knowledge of Wales, a marketing manager with no technical scouting experience, two analysts who couldn't cut it in terms of Championship recruitment and a new starter.

It seems bizarre that we have assembled a team that is expected to deliver a Premier League calibre recruitment performance when none of them have delivered performances that can be associated with success at Championship level.

It is no wonder we are struggling. How can we find and sign players who are EPL ready when our newly hired recruitment team isn't even Championship recruitment ready ?

I've said it before, if you have quality people in your organisation who have distinguished themselves with quality performances high calibre people are more likely to want to work with and for them. On the flip side crap attracts crap.

Considering our new arrivals you too can be an expert if you take a simple online FA course in talent identification or sign up for WYSCOUT and attend couple of short 3 day courses in how to use it.

Scott McKenna is a good player, in a position we need and a snip at £3m plus add-ons.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:39 pm
Who exactly are the experts then ?

Our technical Director has a consistent record of poor performance at three other clubs. In order to improve our recruitment he has assembled a team of experts.

Full Time Foreign Scout

Lee Jones was the Head Of Academy and Head of Recruitment for Tranmere when they were a non league club. Upon promotion to League 2 they closed their Academy and instead of keeping him on to oversee their recruitment they released him. Then he joined Swansea as their North Wales Scout.

Head O Recruitment for North / South America

Paulo Araujo was the Head of Sports Marketing For Umbro. Operating within that role he will have gained some awareness of players and made some football contacts. However, he has little to no technical scouting knowledge and only gained his FA Level 1 in talent identification shortly before he joined us - which is a quick and simple online course.

Recruitment Analysts

I can't recall their names off the top of my head. but we brought in two of the guys from the failed Middlesbrough recruitment team that oversaw a costly series of poor analytical transfers. That was enough to drain all of the parachute payments that Middlesbrough received and reduce the value and effectiveness of their squad to its currently depleted status. We also signed up a bloke who is new to full time employment as an analyst.

Overview

That is the foundation of our new all star recruitment team. A League two scout who has specialist knowledge of Wales, a marketing manager with no technical scouting experience, two analysts who couldn't cut it in terms of Championship recruitment and a new starter.

It seems bizarre that we have assembled a team that is expected to deliver a Premier League calibre recruitment performance when none of them have delivered performances that can be associated with success at Championship level.

It is no wonder we are struggling. How can we find and sign players who are EPL ready when our newly hired recruitment team isn't even Championship recruitment ready ?

I've said it before, if you have quality people in your organisation who have distinguished themselves with quality performances high calibre people are more likely to want to work with and for them. On the flip side crap attracts crap.

Considering our new arrivals you too can be an expert if you take a simple online FA course in talent identification or sign up for WYSCOUT and attend couple of short 3 day courses in how to use it.

Scott McKenna is a good player, in a position we need and a snip at £3m plus add-ons.
All more qualified than you
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 CFS

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:13 pm

You would like us to sign a young player who is unproven at this level which, with a single injury to Westwood, would leave us with two players with hardly any experience in our midfield. That's fine, I accept your opinion, I just disagree. I would personally prefer someone with experience in case that scenario came to pass, in the same way that I would like a CB with PL experience as an alternative to Jimmy Dunne.
So it's only in the unlikely (statistically speaking*) scenario that Westwood gets injured in the next month it's a good deal? In the more likely scenario he doesn't then is it a good deal? Because that seems the only arguement you can put forward for Stephens over a younger, more long term signing.

Who cares if it limits us in the market and financially in the more long term? At least we'll be covered for the next month or so. Well worth £1m plus 2+ years of wages.

*given Westwood has missed only 5 games through injury in the last 3 and half years since he signed for us.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:57 pm

We have a Head of Recruitment for North & South America ??

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:00 pm

If Scott McKenna was such a good player why has he been playing for a poor team in a poor league ?
And why has he not gone to a bigger team than one who the last time they even made the play off places was 10 years ago ?

There is a reason he has been signed by Forest.

Maybe he looks good on championship manager or FIFA.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if the service contract has been renewed on the club's fax machine. Its a long time since we used it and theres a chance we may need to use it in the next 13 days
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:08 pm

"There is a couple of things that are maybes, but not like where it's on the cusp. But I'm still not sure of the guidelines from the chairman and the board, so I'm waiting on that and what they want to do.

"It's always a challenge here. Once I get that (answer to) 'can we get these things done?', that's helpful of course, so we're still waiting on that."

It does sound like the board are dragging their feet and that SD is really start to get frustrated. I just hope we don't lose him because the board are being overcautious. Surely money can't be that tight that we can't afford to replace Lennon and Hendrick at the very least.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:12 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:38 pm
He could find the next Messi or Ronaldo, sadly the man who signs the cheques has the last say.
Seeming he wants to have the final decision on everything regardless of whether it's his field of expertise or not, theres no surprise these windows go how they do.

Sadly itll see us lose the best manager for many a generation, and we may not see someone as good for a long time if ever again.
Not true, the Gaffer still seems to be completely out of the loop. While our recruitment team might not have an exact figure to work with I find it hard to believe they don't have a ball park idea of the money we have to work with.

It isn't rocket science, we run a tight ship and we won't put the club in financial jeopardy. Our recruitment needs to find us good players at bargain prices. When a fee is over £10m they board get palpitations. I came close to dying of shock when we signed Andre Grey. We know it and the recruitment team should know it.

If the recruitment team assemble a target list of players that don't match the Gaffers playing expectations, or the Chairman's value for money considerations or they are unavailable or they don't want to come here they have failed to do their job. What happens is the Gaffer moans he hasn't got the players and lays the blame at the feet of the Chairman for not signing the big cheques to bring in the expensive players the recruitment team have tempted him with - instead of the value for money bargains they should have found and put before him.

The Chairman stays relatively quiet and so the rift between him and the Manager grows.

It reminds me of the old tried and tested Roman strategy of " divide et impera " (Divide and Rule ). Play two parties off against each other, convince each one that you have their back and their best interests at heart ( while offering no public support to either of them ) and watch them tear each other apart.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here as a consequence of deliberate intent, but fallout seems akin to what happens when that strategy is employed.

Three years ago everything was ticking over really well. There was some room for improvement, but nobody was grumbling that much on here. 17/18 saw a dip in our recruitment performance and the last 2 years it has got even worse, despite the Chairman recognising the need to improve that area and allocating substantial money to get it done.

Now, we have poor recruitment, the Manager and Chairman ( who previously enjoyed a strong working relationship ) are apparently at loggerheads and not talking things through fully.

The outcome if this continues is that our best manager in recent time will leave or the Chairman will sell up. In the case of the former Rigg will be asked to participate in finding a new Head Coach Patsy who will be expected to do as he is told in relation to a football vision that is out of their hands. Alternatively, the Chairman gets fed up and he sells up. Queue the arrival of an affluent buyer with no real knowledge of football and more importantly no love for the town or club who will lean heavily on the Technical Director for advice and give him a blank cheque book.

Either way it is winner winner Riggy dinner, all he has to do is sit back, avoid attracting any attention and wait.

And all because the Gaffer and The Chairman allowed a wedge to be driven between them that destroyed what used to be a prosperous and effective partnership, when all they had to do was sit down and talk it out together.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:16 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:00 pm
If Scott McKenna was such a good player why has he been playing for a poor team in a poor league ?
And why has he not gone to a bigger team than one who the last time they even made the play off places was 10 years ago ?

There is a reason he has been signed by Forest.

Maybe he looks good on championship manager or FIFA.
What, you mean like Kieran Tierney or John McGinn were playing in a poor league and the latter went to Villa for £3m?

How much are the pair of them worth now ?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Long Timer Lurker, I enjoy your posts. Perhaps you should rename your account to 'Long Post Writer'?

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1089 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm
Does anyone know if the service contract has been renewed on the club's fax machine. Its a long time since we used it and theres a chance we may need to use it in the next 13 days
An Extraordinary Board Meeting is being called this week to see if £35 can released to buy a new one.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Firthy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:08 pm
It does sound like the board are dragging their feet and that SD is really start to get frustrated. I just hope we don't lose him because the board are being overcautious. Surely money can't be that tight that we can't afford to replace Lennon and Hendrick at the very least.
It sounds like he's trying to get blood out of a stone and they aren't all on the same page. I'd say that's mandatory for a healthy working relationship.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:19 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:12 pm
Not true, the Gaffer still seems to be completely out of the loop. While our recruitment team might not have an exact figure to work with I find it hard to believe they don't have a ball park idea of the money we have to work with.

It isn't rocket science, we run a tight ship and we won't put the club in financial jeopardy. Our recruitment needs to find us good players at bargain prices. When a fee is over £10m they board get palpitations. I came close to dying of shock when we signed Andre Grey. We know it and the recruitment team should know it.

If the recruitment team assemble a target list of players that don't match the Gaffers playing expectations, or the Chairman's value for money considerations or they are unavailable or they don't want to come here they have failed to do their job. What happens is the Gaffer moans he hasn't got the players and lays the blame at the feet of the Chairman for not signing the big cheques to bring in the expensive players the recruitment team have tempted him with - instead of the value for money bargains they should have found and put before him.

The Chairman stays relatively quiet and so the rift between him and the Manager grows.

It reminds me of the old tried and tested Roman strategy of " divide et impera " (Divide and Rule ). Play two parties off against each other, convince each one that you have their back and their best interests at heart ( while offering no public support to either of them ) and watch them tear each other apart.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here as a consequence of deliberate intent, but fallout seems akin to what happens when that strategy is employed.

Three years ago everything was ticking over really well. There was some room for improvement, but nobody was grumbling that much on here. 17/18 saw a dip in our recruitment performance and the last 2 years it has got even worse, despite the Chairman recognising the need to improve that area and allocating substantial money to get it done.

Now, we have poor recruitment, the Manager and Chairman ( who previously enjoyed a strong working relationship ) are apparently at loggerheads and not talking things through fully.

The outcome if this continues is that our best manager in recent time will leave or the Chairman will sell up. In the case of the former Rigg will be asked to participate in finding a new Head Coach Patsy who will be expected to do as he is told in relation to a football vision that is out of their hands. Alternatively, the Chairman gets fed up and he sells up. Queue the arrival of an affluent buyer with no real knowledge of football and more importantly no love for the town or club who will lean heavily on the Technical Director for advice and give him a blank cheque book.

Either way it is winner winner Riggy dinner, all he has to do is sit back, avoid attracting any attention and wait.

And all because the Gaffer and The Chairman allowed a wedge to be driven between them that destroyed what used to be a prosperous and effective partnership, when all they had to do was sit down and talk it out together.

Long time lurker stop taking sence will you, the bed wetters won't like it :lol:

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Two things that really puzzle me
1. How can SD remain so calm and tactful
2.If Mike Rigg is good enough to be appointed and now that he has a significant infra-structure of a team, and if what we read is correct that all signings must be sanctioned by MG, why does he stay?. We have signed just a handful of new squad players over 3 years, and some of these might not even be down to him. Its like being Head of Jaguar Car Sales and the MD turns round and says we have stopped building new cars.
They are making Lee Darnborough who probably had no staff, look good

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 pm
Quite a few players have gone for cheap prices in this window.

A club will take what they can get.

I'm guessing the argument will be that, given more money and options we will perform better.
without going through it all in detail, you have a lot suppositions, guessing and what you think would be best and whether some players are cheap without know what BFC considers cheap and whether they fit the role they want to fill without upsetting the rest of the team in various areas.

I appreciate it your opinion, but yours is simply not one I agree with, for the reasons I stated, which I thought was clear, it's a different perspective but when people don't understand economics, accounting and how businesses are run, then there will always be confusion of thought, none more so in the football world, as emotions get in the way and compound rational thinking.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:21 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm
I fear we've let the warranty run out
reading-facsimile-thumb.jpg
reading-facsimile-thumb.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker