ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: ALK Capital...

Post by kendaldave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Don’t see the club as the purchase, they’re purchasing the potential/ability to be situated in a community and area that is geographically sound.

The club is a window into the uncapped earning potential they see in the Local area, Manchester and Lancashire if/when it becomes devolved.

Surely you wouldn't be happy with that?!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 pm
which then begs the question will they invest in the team or just use it as an "in" with no real ambition for it ?
There are vertical integration benefits - but owning a club like Burnley gives them a lot of political clout locally, maybe even regionally - I have posted a number of times about the benefits for a town economically just by having a club in the Premier League - it also works in government circles too, infrastructure investment escalates (and we have already seen lots of that) as the town is visited by spectators from all over the world as well as this country - our friends down the road showed that especially in the noughties - it does no harm having your MP in the government either (though a more senior figure would definitely help further.
These 2 users liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse Vegas Claret

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:54 pm

I guess it all boils down to stick or twist.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 pm
which then begs the question will they invest in the team or just use it as an "in" with no real ambition for it ?
This is what I was musing on further up. Don't think we're going to see huge signings or an expansion of the wage structure; it's more likely Burnley will be used as a vehicle to (attempt to) demonstrate the viability of the technology in a major European sports league. I have major, major philosophical and practical aversions to reducing human interaction to mathematical formulae (it is the critical flaw in Marxism, which is quite rightly derided and discredited), and if the intention is to demonstrate that AI can scout better than people can, for it to be demonstrated that it can work we'd need to by definition abandon what we call our 'old fashioned' operation: player character being one major factor when deciding on signings - something upon which our success these last years has been predicated - but which among the commentariat is seen as being unfashionable (an arrogant belief, IMO), so much so that people cite it as evidence of Dyche being a 'dinosaur' who 'can't manage certain personalities'.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm

kendaldave wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 pm

Surely you wouldn't be happy with that?!
You’re forgetting a successful club is symbiotic to a successful business. She Chesters post below for a brief/simple insight

I’m sure Ben and I can share more of our thoughts soon

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Without investment what’s the alternative?

Being very bored

Let’s crack on and have some fun

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm
You’re forgetting a successful club is symbiotic to a successful business. She Chesters post below for a brief/simple insight

I’m sure Ben and I can share more of our thoughts soon
Is the deal basically done? I note ALK Capital are this evening quoted as saying “We have seen the news linking us with investment in a Premier League Club, we can make no comment at this time”, which is obviously not a denial (which would be easily done), likewise absolute silence from our club. Chris Boden on Twitter has said he believes it’s happening in one of his replies.

I wondered how far along this really is, has it broke today because it’s essentially done and we should expect this to be confirmed imminently this week?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:04 am

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 am
Is the deal basically done? I note ALK Capital are this evening quoted as saying “We have seen the news linking us with investment in a Premier League Club, we can make no comment at this time”, which is obviously not a denial (which would be easily done), likewise absolute silence from our club. Chris Boden on Twitter has said he believes it’s happening in one of his replies.

I wondered how far along this really is, has it broke today because it’s essentially done and we should expect this to be confirmed imminently this week?
If it wasn't essentially done, with the news breaking in this way then history would suggest it never would be done, almost all deals at Premier League level that are in the media early fail, you could say that about our club too in the last 40 years

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 pm
I would imagine that a successful image is essential
That's like saying 'profit is essential for my business to operate'. Nice ideal, but making it happen in another thing entirely. Every person who has ever bought a football club in the history of football clubs being a thing you can buy, has aspired to success. I argued at the beginning of the pandemic that coronavirus will be a point in history at which one will be able to delineate a clear 'before' and 'after', and that significantly, technology firms will use the chaos caused by the virus as an opportunity to muscle in and demonstrate their worth...and here we are, a few months later, with an American essentially talking about 'opportunity' in the context of coronavirus. Never actually thought my club would be used as the guinea pig, though!
Last edited by Spiral on Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by kendaldave » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 am

Inchy wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm
Without investment what’s the alternative?

Being very bored

Let’s crack on and have some fun
What makes you think new owners equates to substantial investment?

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am

Prepared to look at this as a bold step forward by the club, and look forward with some optimism to continuing to build on our past history and traditions, and on our current successful run of seasons in the PL. I have my "nothing ventured nothing gained" hat on, and really feel quite excited at the prospect.
Is this the injection of "Pace" we have been seeking? :)
Real Salt Lake play in Claret and Cobalt, so maybe this guy and his group like the idea of leading the Clarets again!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 pm
This is what I was musing on further up. Don't think we're going to see huge signings or an expansion of the wage structure; it's more likely Burnley will be used as a vehicle to (attempt to) demonstrate the viability of the technology in a major European sports league. I have major, major philosophical and practical aversions to reducing human interaction to mathematical formulae (it is the critical flaw in Marxism, which is quite rightly derided and discredited), and if the intention is to demonstrate that AI can scout better than people can, for it to be demonstrated that it can work we'd need to by definition abandon what we call our 'old fashioned' operation: player character being one major factor when deciding on signings - something upon which our success these last years has been predicated - but which among the commentariat is seen as being unfashionable (an arrogant belief, IMO), so much so that people cite it as evidence of Dyche being a 'dinosaur' who 'can't manage certain personalities'.
guess we will see one way or the other

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 am
guess we will see one way or the other
I could be talking out my arse, and I'm all for supplementing our operation with science and data, but do you not worry that if the reason for investment is to integrate technology, and if the reason for majority ownership is to have to power to implement it unobstructed at Burnley, it might fundamentally undermine a manager? The reductio ad absurdum is to replace the manager with AI generated team selection, tactics, training regimes, and team talks!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 am

Spiral wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 am
I could be talking out my arse, and I'm all for supplementing our operation with science and data, but do you not worry that if the reason for investment is to integrate technology, and if the reason for majority ownership is to have to power to implement it unobstructed at Burnley, it might fundamentally undermine a manager? The reductio ad absurdum is to replace the manager with AI generated team selection, tactics, training regimes, and team talks!
honestly I don't overly worry - I genuinely believe Garlick will do his best for the club and by nature once I have sufficient information I'm more of a twist rather than stick guy if I think the opportunity is worth the calculated risk. Most people told me not to move to the US and gave me a long list of reasons why I shouldn't, I still came and I think my decision from a financial point of view was the absolute right thing to do.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:47 am

Niki Minaj flashes her tits in a music video and in that moment a 13 year old boy convinces himself he likes hip-hop. An venture capital firm flashes its tits in the form of investment in a club and those same 13 year old boys, now posters on this thread, convince themselves these people have Burnley's long-term interest at heart and cite the most laughably vague, predictable corporate spiel pulled from a near-empty website as proof of their community commitments. It's bloody staggering what money does to people, it truly is. The geordies were desperate for a butcher...a ****ing despotic butcher, to take ownership of their club.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR fatboy47

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:53 am

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/alk- ... ayer-lens/

3 employees, 2 in the US, 1 in UK

Has two apps

Has 89 followers on LinkedIn

It's an LLC and not registered on any of the shares platforms that I can see

Assuming they are going to purchase, they are going to need someone behind them, unless one or more of the individuals has a lot more money that MG

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:09 am

Exciting news but also absolutely terrifying.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 pm

What would it take for MG to sell his share? £50m or £100m a good return.

Extreme example, someone walks in, sells Tarks, Pope, McNeil, Taylor and the ground. I reckon they are £80m in profit at a minimum. Nice return.
More likely, they sell Tarks, Pope, McNeil, Taylor and keep the ground. Then they spend a small amount of the money received to plug the gaps. If we stay up we stay up, but if we go down the players wages are reduced and they could siphon off some of the parachute payments - leaving enough in the bank to pay the running costs and bring in some cheap signings.

Football club owned, cost to buy it repaid in full, profit made and platform to establish Skynet scouting secured.

The only thing a buyer would need are backers looking to make a quick profit. Amanda Stavely doesn't seem to struggle finding them, so why should any American deal brokers.

The idea that selling a club will lead to additional investment is a nice one, but it is by no means guaranteed.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:32 am

the server must be completely screwed, we've had 6 pages of decent conversation and debate !!
These 2 users liked this post: Chester Perry Quicknick

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:36 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:32 am
the server must be completely screwed, we've had 6 pages of decent conversation and debate !!
And I contributed with a fairly short post that didn't mention our current recruitment or Rigg once.

We are standing on the cusp of a Brave New World in which everything is slightly strange and unusual.
These 3 users liked this post: Chester Perry Vegas Claret Buxtonclaret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 am

well we can always ask Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney to invest in us instead of Wrexham !! how bizarre is that

ClaretCraig
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretCraig » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 am

Spiral wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:47 am
Niki Minaj flashes her tits in a music video and in that moment a 13 year old boy convinces himself he likes hip-hop. An venture capital firm flashes its tits in the form of investment in a club and those same 13 year old boys, now posters on this thread, convince themselves these people have Burnley's long-term interest at heart and cite the most laughably vague, predictable corporate spiel pulled from a near-empty website as proof of their community commitments. It's bloody staggering what money does to people, it truly is. The geordies were desperate for a butcher...a ****ing despotic butcher, to take ownership of their club.
What a pathetic post. How you came up with a Nicky Minaj music video for an analogy is anyone's guess. Obviously the said video means quite a lot to you

ClaretCraig
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretCraig » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:20 am

KateR wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:53 am
https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/alk- ... ayer-lens/

3 employees, 2 in the US, 1 in UK

Has two apps

Has 89 followers on LinkedIn

It's an LLC and not registered on any of the shares platforms that I can see

Assuming they are going to purchase, they are going to need someone behind them, unless one or more of the individuals has a lot more money that MG
Here he is!

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:44 am

Not read the whole thread.

My concerns are what happens next? If these people take over, we spend more on better quality players, wages go up and up. Then 2 or 3 years down the line, they either decide to cash in if we’ve been successful. Or pull out if we’ve not. Could leave us in a massive black hole. They could sell to anyone, from anywhere, and we all know tell well how quickly that can turn into a house of cards, it’s a very precarious business. All for a quick buck!
I’d prefer we continued with our current model. Utc

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:44 am

My concerns are what happens next? If these people take over, we spend more on better quality players, wages go up and up. Then 2 or 3 years down the line, they either decide to cash in if we’ve been successful. Or pull out if we’ve not. Could leave us in a massive black hole. They could sell to anyone, from anywhere, and we all know tell well how quickly that can turn into a house of cards, it’s a very precarious business. All for a quick buck!
what makes you think it would be for a quick buck ?

A friend of mine works for a company owned by an investment firm, they've owned it for nearly 10 years
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:42 am

I don't know what to think about all this. But we probably can't stay in the top flight by standing still, as the phrase goes.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret DomBFC1882

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:08 am

If this comes to fruition will it mean we can no longer play the little old Burnley card?

I'd like to see the club, and it's fans in general open to some more ambition.

Imagine how uplifting it would be if we actually had a better calibre of player under Dyche. Dyche can turn players who were previously bang average into great performers. He even manages to improve players in their 30s. If he was given great talent to work with we would have some serious players.

We all saw what Defour bought when he played. We could perhaps afford more players of his quality, but without the injury record.

Being cautious is important, but not too cautious that we get left behind. You have to keep improving to stay in this league.

With talk of a new three tier european cup format in the future we could end up with a chance to qualify for the
european conferencee league if we can improve.

I certainly feel like it would be a great move, but like with the recent sale of Williams F1 team it needs to be too the right people.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick DomBFC1882

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 am

After years of talk about the current board being custodians of the club with our best interests at heart, you’d like to think that they believe this group are going to carry on their work and not strip the assets and leave us in the lurch.
These 6 users liked this post: Quicknick Steve-Harpers-perm Turfytop mill hill claret DCWat DomBFC1882

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:49 am

On BBC 5 Live this morning - lots of mention of Ryan Reynolds buying into Wrexham, but nothing about Burnley’s possible takeover.

**** the BBC.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:52 am

"I have major, major philosophical and practical aversions to reducing human interaction to mathematical formulae (it is the critical flaw in Marxism, which is quite rightly derided and discredited),"

I've no idea about the validity of anything else you have written, but you clearly know or understand very little about Marxism.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:

News in the last week Is that we have a Burnley fan from Colne who is now a Billionaire (appreciate its share value not hard cash at this stage).
Maybe the Americans take us forward for the next 5 years and when they’re ready to sell up then Mr Moulding might be of a wealth and interest to take the reigns. I can’t think of any other Burnley fans worth > 1 Bn and he fits the local boy done good model which has served us so well since Barry became chairman.

The Hut Group soars 25% on stock market debut: Online shopping firm's share price rise makes founder Matthew Moulding a billionaire

The Hut Group has soared on its stock market debut – instantly inflating the fortunes of its multi-millionaire backers.

The online shopping empire listed on the London Stock Exchange yesterday morning with its shares priced at 500p apiece.

But the stock shot up immediately, and by the end of the day it had settled 25 per cent higher at 625p.

Eager traders added more than £1billion to its value, as its market capitalisation climbed from £5.4billion to £6.8billion. The initial public offering (IPO) had already made a fortune for The Hut's backers.

Founder Matthew Moulding, 48, did not sell any shares during the IPO, but his 17 per cent stake is now worth £1.2billion.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 am

Given that they are linked to the scouting package I fully expect that this is where they'll make their money from, buy 5 or 6 young players for 2 or 3 million, expose them to premier league fooball, improve them, then flog them for silly amounts like 20 mill plus to the bigger teams.
Just if this is the business plan where does it fit with SD who we know prefers the older pro with experience.
They could easily make 40-50 mill a season doing this if they can find the right players via their scouting system

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am

It has taken me some time but I've finally caught up with all of the posts in this thread. I wanted to sleep on it before giving my opinion (for what it's worth). I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential takeover. There are naturally some concerns because we simply don't know much about Alan Pace or ALK Capital.

What I would say is that I think we can all agree that Mike Garlick and John Banaszkiewicz (yes, I had to spell check!) care about Burnley FC. I imagine we've had many approaches over the years with regard to takeovers/investment. It was either not the right time for them to sell, not the right people, or a combination of the two. I don't for a second believe that they would knowingly sell to people that they believe would be harmful to the club.

You would think that there has been extensive research of these people and long discussions about their intentions for the club going forward. For this reason, I'm leaning toward being open-minded about the potential takeover. It has become clear that the relationship between Dyche and Garlick is strained. If a takeover means that Dyche will have a little more flexibility in the transfer market, I'm all for it. He has earned that right.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:33 pm
Link below to an interesting interview with Alan Pace from a month ago, along with the first photo I have actually seen of him.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/2020/08/a ... mfortable/
Looks like Mike Rigg

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am

kendaldave wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 am
What makes you think new owners equates to substantial investment?

The fact that they want to buy the club suggests they want to make it more successful. That would require investment.

Even if they don’t invest and it’s utter pandemonium At least it will be interesting.

Honestly I’m bored at present. Premier league stability is good but it’s dull. When I started watching Burnley in 91 we were in the old 4th division. I’ve seen us climb to the top league and realistically max out our potential (without substantial investment). The journey of getting to the Premier league was much more enjoyable than being mid table playing an often dull form of football.
That’s not a pop at Dyche. In the championship we played a great style of football but Dyche knows we have to play a certain way to keep us in the league and it works. It’s also not very entertaining.

If this takeover means we have substantial investment then good

If this takeover ends in us being in league 2 in a few years then fine. I’m willing to take the risk because the alternative is a slow, rotten, boring decline anyway

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 pm
Liverpool were an established brand underperforming and on the verge of financial collapse. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm way out on all this, but the difference between FSG's takeover of Liverpool and ALK's prospective takeover of Burnley, it seems - aside from the obvious draw of Liverpool being a viable global brand where Burnley is not - is that the motivation here (again, it seems to me) is to use Burnley as means to demonstrate proof of concept of propriety software (AI scouting models) in the European market. My apprehension is that we'd be a vehicle for a VC group's commercial aspirations, rather than ownership being the aspiration in and of itself. My concerns: 1. what if it doesn't work, and 2. what if AI says no on a player but manager says yes, or vice versa? Do we want Burnley be a lab rat?
We can't have it both ways. Fans are asking for investment in the team, so we either stay as we are or bring in some money somehow. I love the small town club image with directors who are true fans, but the board we have are not like the Abramoviches of this world to whom money is nothing.

Any takeover of any company is a risk. We can only hope the Mike Garlick is being true to his word when he said he wants a takeover that is sustainable, and not someone who will walk away if times become hard. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that there is a potential sale on the table at this time, because with the Covid-19 situation as it is, I reckon the price paid will be lower than the directors might rightfully expect.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 am

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am
The fact that they want to buy the club suggests they want to make it more successful. That would require investment.

Even if they don’t invest and it’s utter pandemonium At least it will be interesting.

Honestly I’m bored at present. Premier league stability is good but it’s dull. When I started watching Burnley in 91 we were in the old 4th division. I’ve seen us climb to the top league and realistically max out our potential (without substantial investment). The journey of getting to the Premier league was much more enjoyable than being mid table playing an often dull form of football.
That’s not a pop at Dyche. In the championship we played a great style of football but Dyche knows we have to play a certain way to keep us in the league and it works. It’s also not very entertaining.

If this takeover means we have substantial investment then good

If this takeover ends in us being in league 2 in a few years then fine. I’m willing to take the risk because the alternative is a slow, rotten, boring decline anyway
But the level of investment needed to get us beyond where we’ve got to (in terms of league position) is so huge it’s just not going to happen. The clubs that have broken into the top six and won things have had personal investment from multi-billionaires (Chelsea and City) and were substantially bigger clubs than us before that anyway.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:40 am

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 am
Given that they are linked to the scouting package I fully expect that this is where they'll make their money from, buy 5 or 6 young players for 2 or 3 million, expose them to premier league fooball, improve them, then flog them for silly amounts like 20 mill plus to the bigger teams.
Just if this is the business plan where does it fit with SD who we know prefers the older pro with experience.
They could easily make 40-50 mill a season doing this if they can find the right players via their scouting system
Taylor and Pope weren't older seasoned pros when Dyche signed them.
Maybe Dyche signs realistic targets within our budget because the younger players are generally overpriced and clubs like Bournemouth could sign them with no concern about whether or not they'd succeed.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 am
But the level of investment needed to get us beyond where we’ve got to (in terms of league position) is so huge it’s just not going to happen. The clubs that have broken into the top six and won things have had personal investment from multi-billionaires (Chelsea and City) and were substantially bigger clubs than us before that anyway.

I’m not expecting us to break into the top six.

A run in the cup and a few decent signings will do me.

We are just slowly going to go backwards if things stay the same

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily expect the model to change - there may be a gateway to greater commercial sponsorship and/or there may be more player trading (the latter being the way our club has managed to hit it's peaks down the years, though the pace of it has to be very carefully managed). I suspect both.

I still remain apprehensive on the whole thing even if I see/understand the mechanics of the potential thinking

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:11 am

We’ve all seen clubs gain new owners, which all seemed fine, initially. The only thing we can hope, if this one does come to fruition, is that Garlick et al have really done their homework.

The ‘what after’ question is the biggest concern, for me. I don’t know if these sorts of deals can be made in such a way that guarantees the next owners won’t be fried chicken sellers, from dubious countries or fly by nights.

If (and it’s a big if) the investment strongly focuses on making Burnley self sufficient and viable in the top flight (if this is even achievable) I’m in favour.

If there becomes a whiff of mounting up debts in the club’s name, it’ll quickly become a huge concern, that we as fans can do little about.

We’ve mocked fans of Bolton, Blackburn, Bournemouth, Brighton etc. etc. for their investment / wages / spending and initially, they all probably thought investment was the right thing for their clubs.

It’s obvious that we need investment, if we wish to remain at this level for a sustained period of time. I just hope that our custodians have have really considered the short, medium and long term.

One way or another, we may be in for an interesting ride.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:16 am

I find it amazing posters questioning an investment company stepping in with a view to cashing in on their investment in the future ,firstly that’s what investment companies do , and secondly isn’t that exactly what the current board is doing .

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:20 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 am
I still remain apprehensive on the whole thing even if I see/understand the mechanics of the potential thinking
And when people like Chester Perry, whose posting history on this board has demonstrated he clearly has a better understanding of football finance than most (and certainly me), say something like the above then I worry a little bit more!
This user liked this post: KateR

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am

williamjblazkowicz wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am
It has taken me some time but I've finally caught up with all of the posts in this thread. I wanted to sleep on it before giving my opinion (for what it's worth). I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential takeover. There are naturally some concerns because we simply don't know much about Alan Pace or ALK Capital.

What I would say is that I think we can all agree that Mike Garlick and John Banaszkiewicz (yes, I had to spell check!) care about Burnley FC. I imagine we've had many approaches over the years with regard to takeovers/investment. It was either not the right time for them to sell, not the right people, or a combination of the two. I don't for a second believe that they would knowingly sell to people that they believe would be harmful to the club.

You would think that there has been extensive research of these people and long discussions about their intentions for the club going forward. For this reason, I'm leaning toward being open-minded about the potential takeover. It has become clear that the relationship between Dyche and Garlick is strained. If a takeover means that Dyche will have a little more flexibility in the transfer market, I'm all for it. He has earned that right.
Completely agree with all this and it echos my sentiments perfectly 👌
These 2 users liked this post: Cubanclaret Steddyman

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am

joey13 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:16 am
I find it amazing posters questioning an investment company stepping in with a view to cashing in on their investment in the future ,firstly that’s what investment companies do , and secondly isn’t that exactly what the current board is doing .

Selling the club and taking a regular dividend out of a business are very different.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:24 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am
Selling the club and taking a regular dividend out of a business are very different.
Or bonuses :shock:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 am

I'd be happy with a business model like Dortmund.

Buy cheap, improve and sell for lots more.
They have no debts, remain competitive etc.

If ALK have a system that allows us to find good young players at good prices then great.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

williamjblazkowicz wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 am

Hasn't Tony previously said that Garlick is more of businessman than a supporter, unlike Barry Kilby who had allowed his sentiment as a fan to influence decisions. If so, then the opportunity of seeing a significant return on his investment could hold sway over his attachment to the club.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 am

joey13 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:24 am
Or bonuses :shock:

How much has been yearly in bonuses to the board ?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 am
I'd be happy with a business model like Dortmund.

Buy cheap, improve and sell for lots more.
They have no debts, remain competitive etc.

If ALK have a system that allows us to find good young players at good prices then great.
Dortmund are big enough to get Champions League football, in a League where it is relatively easy for them to do so - 4 of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester. Wolves in this country will not do that this season, that is before you add other large spending clubs that appear to be getting their act together
This user liked this post: KateR