New club website

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

New club website

Post by Leisure » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 am

Has anyone tried to use this yet and, if so, what are your views on it?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: New club website

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 am

yes, it takes way longer to load than the old one and feels like a cheaper version of what we had

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 am

ALL websites, in general these days are garbage. In the good old days of the internet, a website was a tool to deliver the user information about a product or service wrapped up in an easy to use package.

But now you have to agree to all cookies, know who all the partners are with awful pop ups, ads and videos that don't match the aesthetics the site. They are difficult to navigate around, there’s the desktop version, the mobile version, they harass you to download the ‘app’ - who wants apps? Yep, websites are awful these days.

Take the BBC Sport site, they have this helpful search bar that has a ‘search for team or competition’ feature - but you have to look in Tables or Fixtures and Results to find it - why is that not a the top of every football page? Doesn’t seem like a big deal, but if your reading about Manchester United, it you have visit 3 pages to read about about Accrington Stanley.

They have two versions of the matchday coverage page, sometimes in end up on this ugly page with the lineups down the right hand side when the normal version has the down the middle with a choice of line ups, stats and live text - the layout I prefer is on the site somewhere if I click around but I’m messing about with the clunky version. I don’t even entertain the Sky Sports website these days.

Web developers don’t know what they’re doing.

Going back to apps, I went to the Thatch and Thistle this week, I only wanted a drink - I had to download the Greene King app to order.... so basically, every time in want to visit an establishment, I have to download another ******* app?! And it’s so poorly designed, trying to wade through all the deals, menus and so on - I just want a lager.

Every aspect about websites are about selling rather than thinking about the visitor first
These 6 users liked this post: Vegas Claret timshorts The Enclosure SalisburyClaret Buxtonclaret jdrobbo

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:38 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 am
ALL websites, in general these days are garbage. In the good old days of the internet, a website was a tool to deliver the user information about a product or service wrapped up in an easy to use package.

But now you have to agree to all cookies, know who all the partners are with awful pop ups, ads and videos that don't match the aesthetics the site. They are difficult to navigate around, there’s the desktop version, the mobile version, they harass you to download the ‘app’ - who wants apps? Yep, websites are awful these days.

Take the BBC Sport site, they have this helpful search bar that has a ‘search for team or competition’ feature - but you have to look in Tables or Fixtures and Results to find it - why is that not a the top of every football page? Doesn’t seem like a big deal, but if your reading about Manchester United, it you have visit 3 pages to read about about Accrington Stanley.

They have two versions of the matchday coverage page, sometimes in end up on this ugly page with the lineups down the right hand side when the normal version has the down the middle with a choice of line ups, stats and live text - the layout I prefer is on the site somewhere if I click around but I’m messing about with the clunky version. I don’t even entertain the Sky Sports website these days.

Going back to apps, I went to the Thatch and Thistle this week, I only wanted a drink - I had to download the Greene King app to order.... so basically, every time in want to visit an establishment, I have to download another ******* app?! And it’s so poorly designed, trying to wade through all the deals, menus and so on - I just want a lager.

Every aspect about websites are about selling rather than thinking about the visitor first
You can earn quite a lot of money giving feedback regarding websites. Might be great for you. Something like usertesting.com.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:52 am

Agree with all that.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:30 am

Don’t get me going on the bloody app! I’d literally just deleted it after having a pint in the sycamore farm about a month back, had to do it all again when I went in Thatch on Monday for a pint.

bennitor
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by bennitor » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 am

The other thing that bugs me is that 'progress' or 'enhancement' is almost always regression. There's not many times a website or app has had a significant visual update where I've then thought "oh that really improves the user experience" - they are generally changes for the worse.

Take Spotify when they updated it to focus on playlists rather than artists and albums and you now have to follow artists. Still rubbish months on from the change. Really frustrating.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am

Spotify - why is there no ‘car mode’ ?! Big bubbly buttons and large text - we’ve seen a lorry driver wipe out families because of the shite user interface of Spotify... I know you shouldn’t be using devices while driving, but we are human.

Same with iPhones - Apple want you want you to shell out loads for CarPlay - all they need to do is write some script that hides all the needless apps when you turn the phone landscape or when it connects to your cars Bluetooth.

The Fantasy Football mobile site delivers more functionality and ease of use than the official App - figure that one out...

Apps are the worst thing to come from the smart phone era

Download the app - why? Is it because your website is ****?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:07 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:30 am
Don’t get me going on the bloody app! I’d literally just deleted it after having a pint in the sycamore farm about a month back, had to do it all again when I went in Thatch on Monday for a pint.
Can understand why they have to do it at the moment but they are bloody annoying. When this is over I’m refusing to visit any establishment that requires me to order myself via an app.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 am

IMDb is another culprit - used to be brilliant - now it’s almost unusable. I’m sure it makes money though.

I hope Wikipedia stays the way it is
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:17 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:07 am
Can understand why they have to do it at the moment but they are bloody annoying. When this is over I’m refusing to visit any establishment that requires me to order myself via an app.
We’ve survived for years without needing apps. I’ve never been to the bar at somewhere like Pizza Hut? You stand at the door, wait to be seated, then they take your order at the table.

I can understand an app offering more convenience if you choose to use it, but you shouldn’t need to have it.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:19 am

The thought of having to download an app to order a drink at the pub just puts me off going even more.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 am

I’ll be avoiding all Greene King or app based pubs unless they give me a free pint in return

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:26 am

So are you saying that I need to have a smartphone with me if i want to buy a pint of beer in the T and T ?
If so that is unbelievable.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:26 am
So are you saying that I need to have a smartphone with me if i want to buy a pint of beer in the T and T ?
No, but staff at the door might take some time to compute that you don’t want to use a smartphone. They will look at you gormlessly for about 15 seconds.

A party of four of us came in and one of us downloaded the app in a ‘stand and deliver’ situation in the doorway. When it came to ordering, they couldn’t download it for whatever reason so they went to the bar.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 am

So are we planning to discuss the new website at all today?
This user liked this post: Leisure

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:38 am

Jenny55 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 am
In have no opinion on it really

Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 am

Jenny55 wrote:
Maybe later. The discussion is about apps at the moment.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:40 am

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 am
No, but staff at the door might take some time to compute that you don’t want to use a smartphone. They will look at you gormlessly for about 15 seconds.

A party of four of us came in and one of us downloaded the app in a ‘stand and deliver’ situation in the doorway. When it came to ordering, they couldn’t download it for whatever reason so they went to the bar.
Thought you weren’t allowed to order from a bar and had to have table service.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3748 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:44 am

Jenny55 wrote:
You've obviously never been to an Ent Moot....

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 am

I preferred the old site, the new one seems a bit "jumpy" as things settle down when you click through to something. Perhaps it's my age, I preferred Classic Facebook, don't like their new look either.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:02 am

I like that the Club has let the website be designed as part of a primary school D&T project. My favourite part is where you get to click on "Teams" to then select a single option of "First Team", which should really say "First Team - Male". Perhaps other options will be added next term.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am

Unfortunately in our current financial situation you cant have a good website and a 30 something past his best midfielder. The club have made a choice to go with the latter and only time will tell if they have made the right decision

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am
Unfortunately in our current financial situation you cant have a good website and a 30 something past his best midfielder. The club have made a choice to go with the latter and only time will tell if they have made the right decision
:lol: Relentless you are :twisted:

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:32 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 am
:lol: Relentless you are :twisted:
Ive been put in to full lockdown so it isnt gonna get any better im afraid :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Which is precisely why I have been advocating a younger midfielder. Not only for guaranteed resale value but also a stronger likelihood that they will be familiar with HTML and JavaScript. Freddie Warren, ex Staines Town and Canvey Island, was on my list of dream(weaver) picks but Mike Rigg vetoed it as per usual. We need players to cover multiple positions, and departments if possible.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:45 am

Claptrappers... spot on in pretty much everything you say. Couldn’t agree more.

I’m delighted that UTC isn’t app based.

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 am

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 am
IMDb is another culprit - used to be brilliant - now it’s almost unusable. I’m sure it makes money though.

I hope Wikipedia stays the way it is
Yes, Wikipedia is great. But that model (no ads.) relies on donations to keep it going.
The problem is we’ve got used to free information on the web. Apparently only 2% of people who use Wikipedia donate to the site.
Upshot: if we want a quality internet experience we’ve got to cough up.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:20 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 am
Which is precisely why I have been advocating a younger midfielder. Not only for guaranteed resale value but also a stronger likelihood that they will be familiar with HTML and JavaScript. Freddie Warren, ex Staines Town and Canvey Island, was on my list of dream(weaver) picks but Mike Rigg vetoed it as per usual. We need players to cover multiple positions, and departments if possible.
What inside information have you got that Mike Rigg vetoed anything? Please tell, as I'm sure we'd all like to know.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 am

As well as marketing, I offer a service to visit people's websites and tell them what could be improved and to be honest, the vast majority of it is common sense. A website being user-friendly is the most important aspect of any site and as a rule of thumb, the visitor should be able to find everything within no more than 2 clicks of the mouse.

Regarding the cookies, that's GDPR and so is mandatory - but it's very annoying. Some sites have ad popups too, which can make them pretty much unusable.

You'll get people using javascript to disable the right mouse click, in an poor attempt to stop people saving the images on their site, even though images are cached anyway, and many people use the right button option to navigate back pages, view source etc, so it's an annoyance. They also use javascript to have annoying dropdown menus, which 99% of the time are simply not needed.

Another pet hate of mine is when you're looking for the contact details of a website. 9 times out of 10, they should be on the homepage, or have an obvious 'contact us' option, which takes you to where they have a contact form, contact details etc, yet with some sites it's like a labyrinth.

The list goes on and that's even before we get onto gtmetrix, plugins, etc.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:35 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:20 am
What inside information have you got that Mike Rigg vetoed anything? Please tell, as I'm sure we'd all like to know.
I say "vetoed" but I really mean "ignored". Seemingly he prefers to rely on the wealth of resources at his disposal rather than the musings from my bedsit.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:39 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:35 am
I say "vetoed" but I really mean "ignored". Seemingly he prefers to rely on the wealth of resources at his disposal rather than the musings from my bedsit.
Seemingly now? So it's pure speculation is it?

Will you be as quick to give him credit if the Harry Wilson signing actually happens?

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 am

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am
Spotify - why is there no ‘car mode’ ?! Big bubbly buttons and large text - we’ve seen a lorry driver wipe out families because of the shite user interface of Spotify... I know you shouldn’t be using devices while driving, but we are human.

Same with iPhones - Apple want you want you to shell out loads for CarPlay - all they need to do is write some script that hides all the needless apps when you turn the phone landscape or when it connects to your cars Bluetooth.

The Fantasy Football mobile site delivers more functionality and ease of use than the official App - figure that one out...

Apps are the worst thing to come from the smart phone era

Download the app - why? Is it because your website is ****?

As soon as I connect my phone to the car's Bluetooth, Spotify switches to car mode, is this not standard? I've got an 11 plate Golf so it's not exactly cutting edge

Edit: this is car mode
Attachments
Screenshot_20200926-104236_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20200926-104236_Spotify.jpg (213.5 KiB) Viewed 2409 times

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:48 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:39 am
Seemingly now? So it's pure speculation is it?

Will you be as quick to give him credit if the Harry Wilson signing actually happens?
No. Harry Wilson doesn't know his Favicon from his Schema Markup. If you think signing Wilson will improve the quality of our website then you are as deluded as Rigg.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:48 am
No. Harry Wilson doesn't know his Favicon from his Schema Markup. If you think signing Wilson will improve the quality of our website then you are as deluded as Rigg.
In YOUR opinion.

Personally, I know nothing about Wilson but with CIES Football Observatory valueing him at £29.9 million https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... s-18990547 then I'm more than willing to give him a chance. Especially if we get him at less than half that price, which now seems likely.

Funny how when people start to lose arguments, they turn to personal insults, isn't it?

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:05 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 am
In YOUR opinion.

Personally, I know nothing about Wilson but with CIES Football Observatory valueing him at £29.9 million https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/f ... s-18990547 then I'm more than willing to give him a chance. Especially if we get him at less than half that price, which now seems likely.

Funny how when people start to lose arguments, they turn to personal insults, isn't it?
My apologies Gordaleman - I did not mean to offend you. I am not serious about trying to recruit players that can improve our web design capability. It was a silly joke that I was riffing on.

I don't think the new website is very good.

I don't know enough about Rigg's input to be critical of him and I accept that it is possible to judge him on a wider set of criteria than just first team signings.

I think Wilson would be an interesting signing. It is an atypical Dyche signing but the prospect of McNeil down one side and Wilson down the other is a lot more exciting than I was expecting a couple of weeks ago.

Friends?

P.S. Freddie Warren is an ex pro that now earns his living as a web developer. My posts may have been silly but they were as well researched as some other poster's wishlists ;)
This user liked this post: chekhov

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:05 am
My apologies Gordaleman - I did not mean to offend you. I am not serious about trying to recruit players that can improve our web design capability. It was a silly joke that I was riffing on.

I don't think the new website is very good.

I don't know enough about Rigg's input to be critical of him and I accept that it is possible to judge him on a wider set of criteria than just first team signings.

I think Wilson would be an interesting signing. It is an atypical Dyche signing but the prospect of McNeil down one side and Wilson down the other is a lot more exciting than I was expecting a couple of weeks ago.

Friends?

P.S. Freddie Warren is an ex pro that now earns his living as a web developer. My posts may have been silly but they were as well researched as some other poster's wishlists ;)
Apology accepted. I just wish people on here would stop criticising the board when they have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

This board has improved the whole club over the last few years and not just on the field. They deserve a huge amount of credit for that, not constant criticism.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 am

Looks like not many people on here have actually looked at the new website! For those that have, what are your views of it?
PS - Just views on the club website please, not websites and apps. in general.
This user liked this post: Jenny55

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:42 am

ChrisG wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 am
As soon as I connect my phone to the car's Bluetooth, Spotify switches to car mode, is this not standard? I've got an 11 plate Golf so it's not exactly cutting edge

Edit: this is car mode
Hmmm, stand corrected. I have it on the iPhone and never seen it do that.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 am
Looks like not many people on here have actually looked at the new website! For those that have, what are your views of it?
PS - Just views on the club website please, not websites and apps. in general.
Jury is still out on it for me at the moment... but the website is also now a very similar layout to the app. (Ooops mentioned the app sorry 🙄)

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 am
Apology accepted. I just wish people on here would stop criticising the board when they have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

This board has improved the whole club over the last few years and not just on the field. They deserve a huge amount of credit for that, not constant criticism.
You must be one of those happy clappers if you cannot see the problems that signing footballers with no web design skills is starting to cause for our football club

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:42 am
Hmmm, stand corrected. I have it on the iPhone and never seen it do that.
Might need to turn in on in the settings, there's a section called car mode

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:15 pm
Jury is still out on it for me at the moment... but the website is also now a very similar layout to the app. (Ooops mentioned the app sorry 🙄)
No problem mentioning the club app., just not apps. in general. ;)

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:19 am
The thought of having to download an app to order a drink at the pub just puts me off going even more.
It does I couldn’t think of anything more annoying I’d walk straight back out, some people like to leave their phones at home for a reason & others just have a retro brick type Nokia style so wouldn’t be able to access the apps, texting & ringing is what some people are interested in only.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:50 pm

I've got another issue with the new website (mobile version) and specifically Clarets+. I have my regular account with my ticket purchase details which is also linked to my club shop account. I have a different login that I used to access Clarets Player, a legacy of the first year's subscription being paid for me as a present. I now pay for it myself. Having logged into the new website, I am unable to logout or toggle between the accounts which means I cannot access Clarets+ content.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:50 pm
I've got another issue with the new website (mobile version) and specifically Clarets+. I have my regular account with my ticket purchase details which is also linked to my club shop account. I have a different login that I used to access Clarets Player, a legacy of the first year's subscription being paid for me as a present. I now pay for it myself. Having logged into the new website, I am unable to logout or toggle between the accounts which means I cannot access Clarets+ content.
I had this problem but after contacting Charlie Taylor he managed to resolve it in no time. Think he might be busy today so dont worry if he doesnt reply straight away

https://twitter.com/charlietaylor09
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:58 pm

The Enclosure wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:26 am
no need for Apps in our local ... table service by raising your arm and catching the eye of a member of staff .... around 40 customers were in last night during the period we were there from 8pm to 10pm ....

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:05 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:58 pm
no need for Apps in our local ... table service by raising your arm and catching the eye of a member of staff .... around 40 customers were in last night during the period we were there from 8pm to 10pm ....
Sounds like being back in junior school, just dont call the barman mummy by mistake

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm
I had this problem but after contacting Charlie Taylor he managed to resolve it in no time. Think he might be busy today so dont worry if he doesnt reply straight away

https://twitter.com/charlietaylor09
E-mailed chast3webdev@bfc.com and he confirmed there is no rollover between Clarets Player and Clarets+. All payments ceased and you have to register afresh with Clarets+. I would not have had this cut through when Ray Deakin was head of IT.

I like the fact that I can now consolidate my accounts and streamline my interactions with the Club.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Should have gone with the good website!!