West Brom v Burnley on Sky Box Office

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Re: West Brom v Burnley on Sky Box Office

Post by Top Claret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:57 am

I will gladly pay the £15.00 to watch the game live on TV.

I think the club have handled the situation well and that carrying our season ticket subs on into the 21/22 season is the correct way forward. I will gladly keep paying my DD and put my name in the hat for the ballot when and if the occasion arises

I can see this PPV being very successful and lucrative with the majority of fans jumping on board.
When things get back to normal the big clubs will look at things differently and strike out on their own, of which will be to the detriment to the smaller Premier clubs who will be just fed the scraps

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:25 am

Jenny55 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 am
I agree, afford it or not the amount is way too much. This is to watch nothing more than a behind closed doors training match, probably a poor one at that.
I personally don't think that £14.95 is way too much for a game that otherwise I wouldn't get to see. If it had been cheaper then great but it is what it is. If people don't want to pay it, then so be it. But to say that it's nothing more than a behind closed doors training match is ludicrous. Don't know of any such game where 3 Premier League points are at stake!
These 2 users liked this post: Blackburn_Claret levraiclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:30 am

Pay the 15 quid, view live stream or don't watch it at all. I won't be paying because it's overpriced. It's good to have choices though.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

Leisure wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:25 am
I personally don't think that £14.95 is way too much for a game that otherwise I wouldn't get to see. If it had been cheaper then great but it is what it is. If people don't want to pay it, then so be it. But to say that it's nothing more than a behind closed doors training match is ludicrous. Don't know of any such game where 3 Premier League points are at stake!
It's not at all, it's well inline with other treat's, a packet of fags & a Chinese/Indian takeaway meal can easily set you back the same amount, £15 is ok.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:25 am
I didn’t mean it like that Leisure. I know three points are at stake and I know or hope the players will have that competitive edge. What I meant was it feels like watching a training match. It is just not enjoyable. When we played City a couple of weeks ago I decided to watch a few episodes of Alan Partridge. I think I would have gotten more enjoyment out of that than paying the £10 to watch the usual dirge served up whenever we play City. I cannot see that the West Brom game will offer any excitement either. Plenty of goals from other teams in this strange sterile environment, but still not enjoyable. Football has gone for me for the time being, however if you pay your £15 to view I hope you get some enjoyment out of it.
This user liked this post: Leisure

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 pm
I didn’t mean it like that Leisure. I know three points are at stake and I know or hope the players will have that competitive edge. What I meant was it feels like watching a training match. It is just not enjoyable. When we played City a couple of weeks ago I decided to watch a few episodes of Alan Partridge. I think I would have gotten more enjoyment out of that than paying the £10 to watch the usual dirge served up whenever we play City. I cannot see that the West Brom game will offer any excitement either. Plenty of goals from other teams in this strange sterile environment, but still not enjoyable. Football has gone for me for the time being, however if you pay your £15 to view I hope you get some enjoyment out of it.
So what you're trying to say is it isn't liquid football?
This user liked this post: Jenny55

Jenny55

Post by Jenny55 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Liquid football? Not sure what you mean by this? What I am saying is, it isn’t real football as I previously knew it. This is through no fault of BFC or TV companies, they have had to conform with the new norm. I just don’t enjoy it now, that’s all.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Liquid football? Not sure what you mean by this? What I am saying is, it isn’t real football as I previously knew it. This is through no fault of BFC or TV companies, they have had to conform with the new norm. I just don’t enjoy it now, that’s all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhlx43rTs2Q

watch this Jenny.
This user liked this post: Jenny55

Jenny55

Post by Jenny55 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Ah haaaa, I get it now!! Sorry guys I was watching Knowing me, knowing you. Back of the net!

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:05 pm

The interesting thing is that they have decided to price it at a price that would create controversy. A tenner they would probably have generally gotten away with but that extra 50% has pushed what's acceptable.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:26 am
Think you are missing the point.

For many people in the country £15 could well no longer be affordable due to new circumstances, redundancy etc. Football for them like many was a respite in difficult times. If people were allowed to attend games again then there will be some people who cannot afford to attend now.

But the main point being made on this thread is not that many fans cannot afford £15 but that simply that the product (especially with no crowds) is simply not worth anywhere near that amount.

Clearly you feel it is worth £15 and that is fine. But the majority of our fans don’t seem to agree. I’m not sure why you seem to have such a big issue with this and are making so many posts trying to convince people otherwise.

For everybody I have spoken to on it (all of whom can very easily afford to pay it) it’s not even marginal. Without exception they all think the amount is way too much.
Ha ha...

I am not missing the point at all. The cost to watch on PPV will be cheaper for most than if they attended the game. The reason the clubs are no longer giving the access to games away for free, or free if you subscribe to Sky/BT is because they need the revenue.

I don't disagree with anyone who says they don't think its worth that to them and they don't value it but thats their valuation of it.

The clubs who make up the overall league have placed a valuation to me feels a fair price for the product compared to what you would pay normally and to reflect all the things that they cannot provide fans with as part of the overall experience. If you asked me whether i would like it for less money, or did a poll to that effect of course i will say yes.

People want it to be free, or as near as damn it. Yet there is no consideration to how this impacts on the long term sustainability of the clubs who rely on the match day income. If rebates on the TV money come in and you look at the % of our wage bill to overall income, it doesn't take a lot to put us in a precarious position - especially with us having the least wealthiest owners.

If someone has been made redundant or simply is beyond their means- I get that being able to watch their team is likely to be something that gives them a bit of joy and detachment from their situation - however, we don't see Asda, offering these people 60% off their shopping so they can eat, we don't see the pubs offering cheaper meals/drinks to those in that situation. Maybe with the exception of Banks/Finance companies who have provided payment holidays (which do have to be paid back) I don't see any major business doing more for their customers than what the Premier Leagues clubs have. Free to air games, free to subscribers etc. Now they know this is going to be more prolonged, they need to consider the commercials.

The reality is that Burnley are no longer a club whose community status can run absolute parallel with their commercial needs in times like this. They try and support their local community but they are a commercial entity that needs to keep in existence first and foremost so they can continue to help their community.

You see people on here all the time asking where the £600m+ money has gone. They seriously do not grasp the concept of how expensive it is to run the club. We are part of a league which has puts us in a far better place than many but sometimes decisions like this are a price to pay for being where you are. We could be back in the championship paying a £10 - that is too expensive for some according to here...

So what do I expect? People will make the choice. If this is going to become the norm for the rest of the season, I hope they look to bring in a digital season ticket for people to follow their team on the broadcaster platform of their choice. I don't look forward to the 6 games in December in terms of cost - so if they can't do season tickets - potentially offer discounts - 4 games for the price of 6 etc.

I won't post again on the thread but Sean Dyche was right when he said something along the lines of "If you gave a Burnley fan a tenner, they would ask why it wasn't twenty" The league have offered the games so as many people can access it as possible and we have people asking why can't it be cheaper. Never enough for some is it and they can't see the good that has been done but want to focus on the negative.

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:41 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 pm

The clubs who make up the overall league have placed a valuation to me feels a fair price for the product compared to what you would pay normally and to reflect all the things that they cannot provide fans with as part of the overall experience.
Obviously this will vary depending on what you compare it to.

Compared to going on a match it is obviously quite a bit cheaper but a very different product.

I'd suggest that the most similar product is televised football in which case it is very poor value. £20 a month for all the sports channels with twenty or so premier league games plus a lot more compared to £15 for one game makes it look very expensive.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 pm
Ha ha...

I am not missing the point at all. The cost to watch on PPV will be cheaper for most than if they attended the game. The reason the clubs are no longer giving the access to games away for free, or free if you subscribe to Sky/BT is because they need the revenue.

I don't disagree with anyone who says they don't think its worth that to them and they don't value it but thats their valuation of it.

The clubs who make up the overall league have placed a valuation to me feels a fair price for the product compared to what you would pay normally and to reflect all the things that they cannot provide fans with as part of the overall experience. If you asked me whether i would like it for less money, or did a poll to that effect of course i will say yes.

People want it to be free, or as near as damn it. Yet there is no consideration to how this impacts on the long term sustainability of the clubs who rely on the match day income. If rebates on the TV money come in and you look at the % of our wage bill to overall income, it doesn't take a lot to put us in a precarious position - especially with us having the least wealthiest owners.

If someone has been made redundant or simply is beyond their means- I get that being able to watch their team is likely to be something that gives them a bit of joy and detachment from their situation - however, we don't see Asda, offering these people 60% off their shopping so they can eat, we don't see the pubs offering cheaper meals/drinks to those in that situation. Maybe with the exception of Banks/Finance companies who have provided payment holidays (which do have to be paid back) I don't see any major business doing more for their customers than what the Premier Leagues clubs have. Free to air games, free to subscribers etc. Now they know this is going to be more prolonged, they need to consider the commercials.

The reality is that Burnley are no longer a club whose community status can run absolute parallel with their commercial needs in times like this. They try and support their local community but they are a commercial entity that needs to keep in existence first and foremost so they can continue to help their community.

You see people on here all the time asking where the £600m+ money has gone. They seriously do not grasp the concept of how expensive it is to run the club. We are part of a league which has puts us in a far better place than many but sometimes decisions like this are a price to pay for being where you are. We could be back in the championship paying a £10 - that is too expensive for some according to here...

So what do I expect? People will make the choice. If this is going to become the norm for the rest of the season, I hope they look to bring in a digital season ticket for people to follow their team on the broadcaster platform of their choice. I don't look forward to the 6 games in December in terms of cost - so if they can't do season tickets - potentially offer discounts - 4 games for the price of 6 etc.

I won't post again on the thread but Sean Dyche was right when he said something along the lines of "If you gave a Burnley fan a tenner, they would ask why it wasn't twenty" The league have offered the games so as many people can access it as possible and we have people asking why can't it be cheaper. Never enough for some is it and they can't see the good that has been done but want to focus on the negative.
I think there’s a valid argument that had the games been priced at £7.50, twice as many people would pay to watch them. I’m not sure how accurate that estimation is, but going off the admittedly small sample size on here it won’t be far out.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:53 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:41 pm
Obviously this will vary depending on what you compare it to.

Compared to going on a match it is obviously quite a bit cheaper but a very different product.

I'd suggest that the most similar product is televised football in which case it is very poor value. £20 a month for all the sports channels with twenty or so premier league games plus a lot more compared to £15 for one game makes it look very expensive.
“Bit” a match day experience for a family even living local can easily run into 3 figures, £15 a large domino’s pizza & a bottle of coke works out far more than 50% cheaper as a typical family example.

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:53 pm
“Bit” a match day experience for a family even living local can easily run into 3 figures, £15 a large domino’s pizza & a bottle of coke works out far more than 50% cheaper as a typical family example.
And that's the point you've entirely missed. It's comparing apples with oranges.

You can get a film from itunes and a bag of popcorn for a fiver so by that random measure the football is expensive again.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 pm

People don’t seem to grasp that when you pay £20 for a ticket to to go and watch the football you a paying for the “experience”, whether that include the cost of the travel, pre/post match drinks is irrelevant

Yes the £15 will be considerably cheaper than attending the actual game, but without being able to partake in that pre/post atmosphere, along with the interaction with fans during the game it is an expensive way of watching 2hrs of tv.

Comparing it to going to to cinema is pointless.
If I’d paid £15 and was the only person in there I’d be very happy
You don’t go to the cinema (or at least I hope you don’t) talking to those around you about what’s going on.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:06 pm
And that's the point you've entirely missed. It's comparing apples with oranges.

You can get a film from itunes and a bag of popcorn for a fiver so by that random measure the football is expensive again.
In comparison like for like bearing in mind saving money I know which works out to be the cheapest most preferable option, also not forgetting it’s a 5:30 KO it’s away but home I know which is easiest & far less time consuming working days, travelling home greeting the family, showering getting changed, grabbing a snack no time to properly sit down & eat, going back out to the ground, by that time you’ve missed the match or most of it, or the alternative option of getting home & saying hello to the family & picking a remote control up.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am
It's not at all, it's well inline with other treat's, a packet of fags & a Chinese/Indian takeaway meal can easily set you back the same amount, £15 is ok.
I said it was OK.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:06 pm
I said it was OK.
I know we appear to be on the same page with it :D even taking different experiences into account on reflection with the price comparison for what you get for your money, I wouldn’t describe it as a bargain nor too expensive, it’s a price point which just about sits right imo.
This user liked this post: Leisure

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 pm
In comparison like for like bearing in mind saving money I know which works out to be the cheapest most preferable option, also not forgetting it’s a 5:30 KO it’s away but home I know which is easiest & far less time consuming working days, travelling home greeting the family, showering getting changed, grabbing a snack no time to properly sit down & eat, going back out to the ground, by that time you’ve missed the match or most of it, or the alternative option of getting home & saying hello to the family & picking a remote control up.
What are you talking about ?

Of course if you do not actually enjoy the experience of going to games live and prefer to watch it in your armchair then you are going to list the so called “negative” aspects. You missed tying your shoelaces, going to the toilet, washing your hands etc etc !!

To be honest they aren’t the memorable things I take away from the several hundred home and away games I have been to watching Burnley.....although I will have done a lot of these things as part of the process !
This user liked this post: Zlatan

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:39 pm

According to Kevin Maguire (price of football) the price was set by the broadcasters and presented to the premier league as non-negotiable.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:32 pm

£15 is too much to watch a game on TV. It isn’t even about the cost of going to a game in person, it’s about the whole experience of a match day which just can’t be replicated watching on TV.

The games should’ve been about a fiver so I won’t be paying.

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Start of a dangerous precedent for me.

Like boxing all big games PPV, interestingly boxing is now priced at £24.95

Can see football and formula 1 going this way.
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 longsidepies

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Here’s the result of the poll I ran. The validity of it can be questioned, by all means, but with such a large sample size, I think it gives a decent indication...
0640C96A-D20E-4CD1-9BEE-CA8E5D450605.jpeg
0640C96A-D20E-4CD1-9BEE-CA8E5D450605.jpeg (323.42 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 Zlatan

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 pm

This is just a bit of semantics so ignore me at your pleasure but it isn't illegal to watch a stream. It's illegal to intercept or reproduce a broadcast, i.e. to be the one hosting the stream, and I think also to facilitate the interception or reproduction of a broadcast, but actually watching a stream is not illegal.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:45 pm
Here’s the result of the poll I ran. The validity of it can be questioned, by all means, but with such a large sample size, I think it gives a decent indication...

Exactly the thoughts of from many people ive spoken to. Its a joke. Footballs dying a slow death especially for the working class man

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:59 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:45 pm

We’ll see. I’ll be paying. At least until I see what the quality of service is like.

I don’t like illegally streaming. I don’t have a firestick or whatever, so do it on my ipad and have to usually click all sorts of rubbish to get a stream working. And then it’s hit and miss.

Entirely agree that many will continue illegal streaming at this point and until made more difficult to access, it will limit PPV audiences.

In general I don’t mind paying £15 to watch Burnley. I object more to paying £30+ for rarely watching Burnley, so I’m hoping soon I have to option to cancel that and just paying for my preferred content.

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:48 am

Pubs will get to show the matches Free of Charge.

Think for Pubs and Bars this will become a bit of a life saver Who pay massive sky costs To broadcast

Use your locals and support them and put your £15 in there pockets at this time
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Quickenthetempo

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:17 am

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:48 am
Not a chance! If they were going to encourage people to be packed together in pubs then they might as well have fans in grounds.

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 am

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:48 am

Think for Pubs and Bars this will become a bit of a life saver Who pay massive sky costs To broadcast

Use your locals and support them and put your £15 in there pockets at this time
I would have thought that if pubs are allowed to show these matches then they will be charged much more.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2937 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 am

In the early days of football on satellite TV, we were told that an 'electronic season ticket' would be available for those who wanted to watch at home.
The ban on live televised 3pm kick offs put paid to that idea.
It may well be an option in future.