Advice required: New TV & sound

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Advice required: New TV & sound

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 pm

I'm in the middle of having a lot of work done in the house but the current state of affairs has left it at a standstill. I'm sitting looking at bare plastered walls, still looking for a decorator and wondering if things will ever be completed.

Once it was all done, I'd planned to get myself a new TV - bigger than the current 38" set I have now and I would assume more up to date given I got this one in March 2009. It's been a fantastic purchase and was a result of advice from the message board, mainly from benbfc at the time. I wouldn't say it is old but the day it arrived we won 1-0 at Blackpool with a Christian Kalvenes goal.

Given the work might not be done now for some considerable time - I was thinking today that if I'm going to get a new TV I might as well just go ahead and do it.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a television and then a sound system. I currently have a Sony six speaker surround system but that's 16 years old and it's fair to say it is more than past its best, it doesn't actually work properly now and so I'm just having to make use of the sound via the tv. I have two Sonos speakers currently for listening to music but I don't know too much about sound bars, Dolby Atmos or anything so any advice would be more than welcome.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Re: Advice required: New TV & sound

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Have you looked into using the Sonos as surround sound speakers?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:31 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:30 pm
Have you looked into using the Sonos as surround sound speakers?
That's why I mentioned them because I believe they can be attached to a Sonos soundbar to create a surround sound. I bought them last December on the recommendation of jdrobbo and I've been very impressed with them.

It's one of the problems of getting old. you end up so out of touch with stuff like this.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Also, might be better tv’s out there for picture etc - but for the USP and cost/quality - I got the 55” Philips Ambilight a year ago in the Black Friday deals and it has been fantastic- the ambilight feature for movies is brilliant too (I’ve linked it with the hue lights in the living room to light up the whole room/wall the tv is on so it’s more immersive).

Cost wise - 55” was about £500 and with Black Friday coming up In a couple of weeks you’ll probably find an ever better deal now.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Don't buy LG soundbars and 'music flow' speakers, they don't work very well

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 pm

CA9B3DE1-9379-4D37-B933-DB4FF7A7B487.jpeg
CA9B3DE1-9379-4D37-B933-DB4FF7A7B487.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 6831 times
This is a film we’re watching now - it has built in LED lighting which lights up the wall behind to whatever is on the screen on that part of the tv at the edges of the screen.

I also have the 2 side lamps linked which also project that area of the tv onto the wall as it changes colour.

turbo5
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by turbo5 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 pm

If you are currently at the plastering stage have you considered the new TV's wiring needs. CAT 5/6 , aerial cable, power points, and any extras like soumd bars, game consols Firesticks blue ray players Sky boxes etc.
I nice clean instal makes a lot of differene
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:50 pm

we used to have a bose surround sound system, long time ago with cube speakers all over, bought a Samsung curved TV with Samsung sound bar 2016 when in the UK and it was very good, the installer said when he finished, it was the best he had heard. Here in Houston hubby bought a LG flatscreen and a bose sound bar, all wires hidden, he says the samsung sound bar was much better and he can't tell the difference in picture quality from LG to samsung. He was very much into HiFi decades ago and we had large speakers and all these different deck things. He did buy a wireless record player and hooked it to the bose sound bar, I have to say it's easy to use and the sound from the records is super, well to me anyway. We have firesticks hooked up but can't see, TV boxes were/are in a cupboard and wired so you can't see and use a magic eye thingy to control TV and DVD player

We had a compromise, he wanted sound surround I wanted no visible wires so I guess a lot of what you end up with, can depend on more than sound, well it was for us. He had two friends who swore by sonos and this was the multi speaker option he really wanted but he compromised (thank goodness) but what he got was much cheaper than the sonus but if you already have some and are adding to, then that has to be a help.

California Colner
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by California Colner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 pm

I have Samsung 75” TV
Bose 5 Speaker surround sound
Very impressed with both units
Bose is not cheap and I don’t no if it’s the best cause it’s the first surround sound I’ve had

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Wait another month - black Friday and you should save a bit of money.

If it's within your budget - Makes sense to use your existing Sonos speakers and add to that set up as they should all link up.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:10 pm

Very little difference in quality at the top end. It's the extras that might sway you, 4k, usb sockets, hdmi sockets, built in apps. Above all ease of use. Some of them you need a mechanical engineer sat by you. Find the models you like on Amazon and check their reviews.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:22 pm

I seem to remember you mentioning previously that you had a Panasonic TV.

The good news is that Panasonic still make the best sets. If money is no object then I’d go for the Panasonic HZ2000 which has a great sound system too so you won’t necessarily need a dedicated surround sound system. There really is no better consumer grade TV on the market.

The Philips OLED935 is also a brilliant TV/sound system combo and has the added bonus of Ambilight.

If the above sets are out of your budget then I’d go for the Panasonic HZ1000 or the Philips OLED805.

As mentioned above, though, I’d wait for the Black Friday deals to arrive.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:31 pm

I’d recommend a decent make for the television I’ve always owned loewe & Sony television’s I’ve never really bothered with external attachments for the sound, internal speakers have always been adequate & neighbour friendly, I’d hook it up to my Bose or marantz music systems if it became desirable to do so.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:38 pm

yeah, don't buy one now - another month and there will be sales - Black Friday/Pre Christmas plus we are at the end of the current technology so plenty of TV's will be getting sold off , as with anything, it'll come down to budget. There are some superb review channels on youtube that are also worth checking out

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:22 am

I’ve just bought a new TV and first read up on the following articles
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-40-inch-tv
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs/ ... 0-inch-tvs

Based on my research I eventually went for the Panasonic TX-50HX800B.
Choice was made based on strength of the review, it fit my budget at £699 and it has the widest range of HD support across the competing technology standards which is hard to find in a TV at this price (HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision).
For me this was valuable because it gives the best chance of future proofing the television as much as you can with technology anyway.

When researching I found out that Samsung doesnt support Dolby Vision and have instead gone with their own technology HDR10+.
But a lot of the programmes on Netflix are Dolby Vision so this was a drawback.

Guess ultimately it’s like any purchase in that it’ll come down to budget and what you’ll be wanting to watch. On demand TV, Netflix, prime video should all be integrated into new TVs along with a variety of 4K UHD standards (see above).

Tony if you’d like to talk through or have any questions then happy to help.
FJ.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:28 am

If you might want to get into next gen gaming, get the LG CX OLED. It can do 120hz 4K which both new next gen consoles support, and HDMI 2.1 which will future proof you.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:37 am

Another shout for the LG **CX OLED (** being the screen size to suit room and budget). I use it for Sky Ultra HD and Netflix - amazing, with a soundbar connected to the Sky Q box.

I would use PriceSpy.co.uk and check the 2019 C9 version - it shows on a graph when the big price drops came. The 2020 CX should follow a similar pattern (at this time of year I would expect a couple of hundred quid off every couple of months).
This user liked this post: superdimitri

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 am

Steddyman wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:28 am
If you might want to get into next gen gaming, get the LG CX OLED. It can do 120hz 4K which both new next gen consoles support, and HDMI 2.1 which will future proof you.
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Tony doesn’t want to get into next gen gaming.
These 8 users liked this post: Father Jack Burnley Ace Steddyman The Enclosure jrgbfc Zlatan ZizkovClaret whiffa

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:20 am

LG tv’s are just cheap and nasty,avoid at all costs.have a Sony and it’s best tv I’ve ever had,and there’s been a few.Also have 2,Samsung’s and both good.Q leds arexdear but well worth the money.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 am

If you have some interest in future proofing you need to look further that what's marketed on the outside and invest in a tv that actually has good hdr picture quality. I'd personally consider an OLED but make sure you don't watch news channels of sky sports on it for risk of burn in.

LG make the best all round oleds but if you want the very best motion in sport consider Sony or Philips instead.

Sony A8 is a good bet with good built in sound. Look out for black friday and Xmas/Jan deals.
https://www.tps.uk.com are a good company who bundle a 7 year warranty. Better than the 6 years you get at richer sounds or 5 at John Lewis or similar. Avoid the likes of Curry's like the plague.

If oleds are out of budget or you like to watch news channels consider an lcd tv like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q80T or above. Sony best for motion but Samsung best for apps.

Panasonic make good oleds if you want to stick with them. The motion isn't quite as bad as LG but it's not as good as Sony or Philips.

Avoid Panasonic lcd tvs though, they are all very poor overpriced lower spec.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:01 am

Richer sounds are good on price and are always ready to dispense good advice.

They are currently offering the new Samsung 8k tv for £1799 but you get the new flip phone worth £1300 included in the deal.

They also have the latest Dolby Atmos equipment if that’s what you’re after.

Worth a try.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:23 am

There is a brilliant chap in Burnley called David who has a business called Connect Your Stuff (just Google that)..He was recommended to me on here by the poster Guitar George 4 years ago when I was asking similar questions to you. I was kitting out the house Id just bought in Barrowford at the time. He came out, discussed what I wanted, made recommendations for TVs and soundbars and oversaw the whole ordering and installation of these. I ended up with Panasonic TVs and Sonos Playbar soundbars and they have been fantastic. I'd give him a call.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:52 am

If it’s proper surround sound you want, I’d have a look at an Atmos receiver and speakers.

I got a Sony KD55 AF9 when it came out which I’m really pleased with - the prices will be much lower now.

The screen itself is a speaker so you do get much better than normal sound from the TV, than your standard flat screen.

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:56 am

I would definitely recommend Richer Sounds. Excellent customer service and will talk you through the best options for you. They are also very competitive on price and will price match and usually beat the best price by £20. I bought a 55” LG OLED and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. Regarding the sound I am biased but the Sonos is an amazing system. I have a sound bar, 2 play 1’s and a subwoofer and the experience is excellent.
Last edited by Leyland Claret on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 am

Avoid Samsung TV's they are old technology because they refuse to use OLED panels.

Any OLED TV is good these days, all the panels are made by LG and Sony, Panasonic and Philips just have their own processors and programming so picture quality is similar on all of them. It's down to what you want to use it for.

If you want to use an X Box or Playstation on it as well then LG is the best.

If you watch a lot of sport like football then Sony is the best because it has less motion blur and stuttering.

If you want the best quality picture then Panasonic is the one to go for. Panasonic is used by film makers as it supposedly give the truest colours.

Philips if you want a light surrounding the TV. I always thought it was just aesthetic but some say it actually improves the viewing experience as the picture appears to have more contrast.

You can get different sizes from 49" up to 77" in OLED and the panels are ultra slim and look great wall mounted.

I personally have a Panasonic 55" OLED and love it. Great picture and ideal size for me.

As regards sound it depends on what you want . If you watch lots of films and want surround sound then by a dedicated surround system. If you want just good quality sound then buy an OLED with a built in soundbar or a seperate soundbar with a wireless subwoofer which gives better base. LG also do soundbar with wireless surround speakers which is a good compromise if you don't want wires and speakers all over the room.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:20 am

How can someone recommend a tv but say, don’t watch SSN or any news channel on it because of burn in. So it’s a crap tv then.

Honestly CT just use a bit of common sense and your own gut in this type of thing. Figure out what you need and look and compare options within your budget. It’s always hard to judge recommendations if these types of things, they’ll be loads of different contradicting advice.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am

Dyched wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:20 am
How can someone recommend a tv but say, don’t watch SSN or any news channel on it because of burn in. So it’s a crap tv then.

Honestly CT just use a bit of common sense and your own gut in this type of thing. Figure out what you need and look and compare options within your budget. It’s always hard to judge recommendations if these types of things, they’ll be loads of different contradicting advice.
My previous TV (now an upstairs one) is a Panasonic plasma. I’ve never had any burn whatsoever, despite plenty of times on sky sports news etc. Fantastic picture, still, just without it being ‘smart’. It doesn’t half kick out some heat though :lol:

JarrowClaret
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:14 am

Not sure on what TV to buy, I always go for Sony and have no complaints about them but I don’t research what TV to buy I just go and look and buy the one I like the most. I can concur on richer sounds being good value though they also price match other stores including Costco, so if you know someone with a membership and Costco stock the TV you decide on bobs your uncle.

Disclaimer this was true last year when I price matched a TV at Costco with richer sounds.

JarrowClaret
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am

By the way they would have price matched Costco without a membership, but they would have added a bit to the eventual price can’t remember how much but it wasn’t a huge amount of I’m honest.

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 am

If you have sonos speakers ..get a sonos beam for tv ...roughly £400 the sound is brilliant

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am

Richer Sounds also price match online stores. So just do a google price comparison of your preferred product. Very good customer service and after-sales service too.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am

Tinribs wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:20 am
LG tv’s are just cheap and nasty,avoid at all costs.have a Sony and it’s best tv I’ve ever had,and there’s been a few.Also have 2,Samsung’s and both good.Q leds arexdear but well worth the money.
You are talking ********. All the Tech reviewers swear by the LG OLED's as the best TV's available. I have two of them.

And if LG OLED's are so crap, why is it your beloved Sony uses them (previous gen) rather than making their own?
https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/ ... _of_their/

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:07 am

Wow - just logged on for the first time today and seen this thread. I’m going to digest all the info at some point before making any decisions.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 am

Just have a do & take a look, & do what you feel will work, like another poster said it can be difficult when confronted with conflicting advice & suggestions.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 am

Bought one 2 months ago from Richer Sounds, as above good customer service and a 6 year warranty.

It has added to my mansion experience without doubt.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:26 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 am
Just have a do & take a look, & do what you feel will work, like another poster said it can be difficult when confronted with conflicting advice & suggestions.
It does get difficult when someone recommends something while someone else tells you to avoid the same thing.

I’m of an age when you just went out and bought a new tv when you wanted one. They were all much of a muchness.
When I got this last one I asked and got advice. What I have is a 38” Panasonic plasma and it’s been brilliant.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 am

If you like your panasonic and its over 10 years old, then you could consider a slightly larger screen as I bet the space it takes up with slimmer bezels will allow this.

If you want local - go to Harry Garlicks and ask them for what they recommend within your price range and for size. Their online store is below and I have provided a link to an example Panasonic which should be good enough for every day use. If you ask get a recommendation, its worth doing a google online for the price match.

https://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/ ... s-reg.html

In terms of your Sonos system they can probably tell you what you need in terms of adding to what you have there also.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm

I should also point out my previous TV was the top of the line Panasonic VT65 Plasma. The LG Oled's wipe the floor with it in every way.

TV tech has changed a lot over the last 2 years, with different HDR standards and different connection standards. If you don't want to find yourself buying another TV in a few years, get one with HDMI 2.1.

If you don't know who to trust, I suggest you search some YouTube videos on the subject of LG OLED's. The current is the CX range. You won't find any negative reviews.
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

benbfc
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by benbfc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Glad to see the original advice has lasted over 11 years!
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:28 pm

benbfc wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm
:D

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Another vote for LG OLED's. My mates got one and it's incredible.

It'll be my next telly, no question.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am
You are talking ********. All the Tech reviewers swear by the LG OLED's as the best TV's available. I have two of them.

And if LG OLED's are so crap, why is it your beloved Sony uses them (previous gen) rather than making their own?
https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/ ... _of_their/
They’re not necessarily the best TV’s available but they’re a good choice. They used to be seen as something of a cheap brand.

That they make panels doesn’t mean that their TV’s are the best, think Samsung and Apple as a similar comparison. It’s what companies do with the technology available to them that makes most of the difference, and as far as I’m aware with TVs the panel is only a portion alongside processing, operating system etc. etc.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:25 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pm
They’re not necessarily the best TV’s available but they’re a good choice. They used to be seen as something of a cheap brand.

That they make panels doesn’t mean that their TV’s are the best, think Samsung and Apple as a similar comparison. It’s what companies do with the technology available to them that makes most of the difference, and as far as I’m aware with TVs the panel is only a portion alongside processing, operating system etc. etc.
They have the best OS and UI too. They purchased WebOS from HP quite a few years ago and embedded it in the TV's. The UI is light years ahead of anyone elses feature wise.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Worth noting in 2020 ranges lgs do lack some uk catch up apps.
Lots of different opinions in this thread and a lot based on brand bias..

All tv manufacturers make good and bad. Buy from a reputable shop and you know you can rely on them if there's a problem.

You'll probably be happy with anything you change to since your old tv is so old.

Richer are good but I'd be concerned with their advice. Heard them pushing people to TV's they have a lot of stock of despite being poor choices. Salesman and salesman and all that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:26 pm

benbfc wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 pm
It has Ben - really did prove to be good advice. It's been a fantastic television but the plan was to get something more up to date when the work in the house was finished.

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I've got a Sonos playbase and 2 Sonos 1s acting as surround sound speakers, really good set up, the sound is superb. Only problem is the playbase is a bit of a big numb thing. I'm hoping to add the woofer at some point.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:08 pm

I have 2 recommendations.

1. Colour. That means Samsung or LG probably.

2. Size. Get the largest TV you can fit in the home space.

Although it seems huge in the shop and larger than the one you had before, if it fits, get it. You won't regret it.

firstclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by firstclaret » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Decorator for you Tony

George 07470 168599

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:23 am

As mentioned above speak to richer sounds.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am

I was in the same boat as you CT a few months ago. Ageing 10 year old Sony TV. I read all the reviews and to be quite frank it makes your head explode. Eventually settled for a Samsung Q90 QLED 55 inch. Super Smart TV and lots of apps. However is the picture better than my old Sony. To be honest I don't think so. I don't think it handles motion like the Sony and the backlight seems to flicker especially during sport. Sound is definitely better, as I bought a Sky Soundbox. With being a Sky customer I got it for £199 and for me it's an absolute bargain and it fits well under the TV stand. I did give serious consideration to the Sonos playbar as it provides excellent sound and you can add speakers as you go along. At the end of the day 'you pays your money and take your chance' but remember with the way technology is going these days, your tv will be out of date and superseded almost as soon as you've purchased it. As other's have attested Richer Sound are excellent.