Tories or Labour - who would a BLM political party take the most votes from?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Tories or Labour - who would a BLM political party take the most votes from?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Now that BLM have appeared on the party registration section, who would they take the most votes from?

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... plications

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Re: Tories or Labour - who would a BLM political party take the most votes from?

Post by clarethomer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm

the left

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Tories or Labour - who would a BLM political party take the most votes from?

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Incredible, it's match day and threads like this start. No wonder I get so many complaints about this message board because of this.
These 16 users liked this post: ksrclaret NewClaret KateR Grumps snapcrackleandpop longsidepies superdimitri Caballo Vino blanco Top Claret Guller Bull Colburn_Claret Ptangyangkipperbang Leisure tarkys_ears CombatClaret

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Some folks on here have precious little interest in football Tony, let alone Burnley. Everything is politics, every aspect of life has to have a political angle.
These 3 users liked this post: Vino blanco Guller Bull Rowls

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:37 pm

you should just ban them then, or put them on a separate board for Political threads where people can avoid them. I know it would stop me reading them if they weren't on the main forum.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco box_of_frogs

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:38 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:35 pm
Some folks on here have precious little interest in football Tony, let alone Burnley. Everything is politics, every aspect of life has to have a political angle.
It gets highlighted even more when threads start just a few hours before a big game. Absolutely no reason why this couldn't have gone on another thread. But these posters will be the ones to blame when I make the decision to stop political threads.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:38 pm
It gets highlighted even more when threads start just a few hours before a big game. Absolutely no reason why this couldn't have gone on another thread. But these posters will be the ones to blame when I make the decision to stop political threads.
I wish you would just ban them Tony. I have yet to see a political thread not just become an echo chamber of the same people telling everyone that they are right and everyone else is wrong. The same posters with the same views just winding each other up. I wouldn't miss them one bit.
These 3 users liked this post: Vino blanco FCBurnley Leisure

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Maybe it’s time again to take a view on whether the message board should revert to its initial purpose.
For me that purpose is mainly to discuss football but also I see the value of other subjects being allowed like advice on finding tradesmen or choosing a new TV etc as the message board seems to have created a good community spirit from that aspect with posters happy to help out fellow burnley supporters. It’s also a very positive board on things like raising awareness on the food bank collections and other charity type events or work.
The board is also great for discussing other sports (though as per the Lewis Hamilton thread even that seems to get ruined these days)
The sport and non sport quizzes are also fine

Which leads me to think that the board would be an infinitely better place to both moderate and read if we banned any political topic or any other topic outside of the above examples.

There are plenty other outlets and digital platforms for people to vent their political anger and views without going on here. But there is no better platform than this one for Burnley supporters to check into so why let the political posts ruin it for the football fans ?
This user liked this post: NewClaret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Religion and politics ... ban them both

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm
Religion and politics ... ban them both
That’s a very Protestant right wing comment to make !!
(For clarification I’m joking !)
This user liked this post: KateR

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm
Maybe it’s time again to take a view on whether the message board should revert to its initial purpose.
For me that purpose is mainly to discuss football but also I see the value of other subjects being allowed like advice on finding tradesmen or choosing a new TV etc as the message board seems to have created a good community spirit from that aspect with posters happy to help out fellow burnley supporters. It’s also a very positive board on things like raising awareness on the food bank collections and other charity type events or work.
The board is also great for discussing other sports (though as per the Lewis Hamilton thread even that seems to get ruined these days)
The sport and non sport quizzes are also fine

Which leads me to think that the board would be an infinitely better place to both moderate and read if we banned any political topic or any other topic outside of the above examples.

There are plenty other outlets and digital platforms for people to vent their political anger and views without going on here. But there is no better platform than this one for Burnley supporters to check into so why let the political posts ruin it for the football fans ?

I 2nd that.

I rarely read through whole threads now only often answering any quotes, or reading the last couple of posts on any given subject, as it usually always tends to have turned into a tit for tat political points scoring exercise.

Often I get pulled up or called out for not reading the whole topic as I often I miss info, but it's far better than the predictable mind numbing political agendas certain posters insist on peddling.

Theres enough of that on other social media and TV, I come on here for a break from it !

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm
Incredible, it's match day and threads like this start. No wonder I get so many complaints about this message board because of this.
Tony is it not possible to split this board into Football & Non Football topics.
These 2 users liked this post: superdimitri Vino blanco

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:56 pm
Tony is it not possible to split this board into Football & Non Football topics.
Was considered but not enough people wanted it - I understand things half the time but to start this thread on a match day just sums up to me who some people are on here. Someone signed up recently, for example, has already built up a good number of posts, but not one of them is football related.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:06 pm

There are some very good non football threads on here. No point in reducing board traffic which is what would happen if topics are restricted. Over zealous policing will also alienate posters. I know some that won’t post anymore. The threads get ruined when it just becomes 2 posters arguing for a whole page and when it’s the same trolls disagreeing for the sake of it. I’m sure there’s a halfway house somewhere.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm
Was considered but not enough people wanted it - I understand things half the time but to start this thread on a match day just sums up to me who some people are on here. Someone signed up recently, for example, has already built up a good number of posts, but not one of them is football related.
Initials of PW ? He used to have the initials of IT until I presume he was banned.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Time to forget about democracy CT and do it for the good of the board. If we lose a few posters it will be for the best.
As you know it’s not just today - it’s been like this for at least the last 12 months and it’s just getting worse.
The Lewis Hamilton thread is absolutely typical of what has happened to this board and how certain posters simply cannot help themselves and deliberately set out to ruin a thread....any thread.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:38 pm
I didn't find a BLM specific thread and I went through 10 pages of posts containing the phrase before I posted this one so it's not even like I didn't check first.

Merge it with another if it stops you getting your knickers in a twist

Newty
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Newty » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm
I'd happily see political threads banned. The most off putting thing for people thinking of signing up to the board must be seeing so many petty, horrible, vicious little squabbles over the same couple of topics spread over countless threads.

I know you've had poll's before Tony but maybe its worth just having a trail. Ban all political threads until January, force having the rest of the year off, then have a vote if people want to see them return.

Maybe even have a compromise and allow 1 political thread during the summer while there's no football on. up to you.

It cant be fair on the mods having to waste so much time moderating them.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm

This thread will be an interesting resource the next time a social media company bans a darling of the fascists. Can't wait to see some of these names decrying the death of free speech after advocating a ban on political discussion on here.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Also, I didn't know we had a game today so this thread did provide some footballing use.

I will look for the score later.
This user liked this post: ClaretAndJew

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:24 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm
This thread will be an interesting resource the next time a social media company bans a darling of the fascists. Can't wait to see some of these names decrying the death of free speech after advocating a ban on political discussion on here.
And there we go - what a state this board has got into.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Ban the f.uckers, CT.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm
Also, I didn't know we had a game today so this thread did provide some footballing use.

Looking through your previous posts - I can see 2 semi football linked posts... I can see why you are worried about a ban on discussing politics.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:30 pm

MACCA wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm
I 2nd that.

I rarely read through whole threads now only often answering any quotes, or reading the last couple of posts on any given subject, as it usually always tends to have turned into a tit for tat political points scoring exercise.

Often I get pulled up or called out for not reading the whole topic as I often I miss info, but it's far better than the predictable mind numbing political agendas certain posters insist on peddling.

Theres enough of that on other social media and TV, I come on here for a break from it !
Thirded.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm

I don't think a ban is an appropriate way forward, however, splitting the board into football and non-football related topics seems the logical conclusion. Regardless of the vote previously, it seems an inevitability.

The problem with banning is, as we all know because several people on here already have/had them, are different usernames etc.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:32 pm

A total overreaction to a perfectly fine OP and discussion point. If you don't want political threads pull them or split the board. So what if it's a match day - the whole appeal of the board is the wide range of topics.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:30 pm
Thirded.
I knew we would eventually agree on something !!

As for PWs comments surely he is taking the mickey ?
How can anybody who comes on this board not know when the Clarets are playing ?
Whether he is taking the mickey or not then for me this response typifies how the board has lost its way and I’m struggling to see any down side from banning all political threads.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Genuinely think that being unable to attend the matches in person has lead to a drop off in purely football related discussions on here.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm
I knew we would eventually agree on something !!

As for PWs comments surely he is taking the mickey ?
How can anybody who comes on this board not know when the Clarets are playing ?
Whether he is taking the mickey or not then for me this response typifies how the board has lost its way and I’m struggling to see any down side from banning all political threads.
Now I know we’re basically neighbours I thought I’d better start agreeing with you on stuff in case you jump me in the street or something ;)

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Handy tip, you can download and sync the fixtures to your calenders on phone etc.

That way you won't make the same mistake I've committed today by starting a politics thread on a match day.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Genuinely think that being unable to attend the matches in person has lead to a drop off in purely football related discussions on here.
There's only so much Burnley related football stuff to talk about.

If someone makes a post about a different team then there are a number of people who ask why it's posted on here, it isn't Burnley related etc.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:57 pm

It’s pretty obvious what the thread was about from the title.
If people don’t want to see these threads is it not just easier not to click on them?
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 HahaYeah

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:59 pm

How many posts would there have been today if we could only talk about tonight's game?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:01 pm

First thing I want to say is that there are at least two posters on here who have the initials "PW" - probably more.

Thinking about the subject of the opening post, didn't "black lives matter" become a footballing topic when many footballers started "taking the knee?" And, then we had the embarrassment of that plane over the Etihad. :(

My preference is to keep the subject matter broad and aim to post/share info/discuss/debate while respecting all other posters including those who to express different views.

But, only 4 hours until kick-off.

UTC
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm
Handy tip, you can download and sync the fixtures to your calenders on phone etc.

That way you won't make the same mistake I've committed today by starting a politics thread on a match day.
I think your post is just the straw that broke the camels back Sid.

I think most people post political threads now as they know they will get more interactions than Burnley Football club ones.

Sad but true.
Last edited by Quickenthetempo on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm
I think your post is just the straw that broke the camels back Sid.

I think most people post political threads now as they know they will get more interactions than Burnley Football club ones.

I can see why the board moderaters allow them as they get more traffic for sponsors but we end up with posters that just come on to argue about politics on here.
Sad but true.
That's a fair point, my Op has generated more comments than my post about the former City Youth player dying.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm

I can see why the board moderaters allow them as they get more traffic for sponsors
That's 100% untrue. The moderators do not gain in any way from the level of traffic. In fact, no one is gaining from it now because there is no money coming in from any sponsors.

redcloud203
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by redcloud203 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm

i would prefer if there were no political / religious threads on the site -

I have no issue with other non - football topiscs- music etc . as they are light entertainment, but hearing the constant bickering re the first two is not what i log on to football fans forum to look at .

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:06 pm
That's 100% untrue. The moderators do not gain in any way from the level of traffic. In fact, no one is gaining from it now because there is no money coming in from any sponsors.
I'm not saying you do, as I haven't a clue how the site operates.

It was meant as a suggestion why you might keep them.

I will delete it if comes out that way.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 pm

I do like having some non footie threads but the way that the political posts just end up with the same entrenched point scoring just leaves me cold.
Generally I don't even bother clicking them but even some fairly innocuous title can soon be turned into "your lot my lot" slanging match.

Ban them.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm
The benefit of this board over a lot of other places online is that it brings together a pretty disparate range of posters compared to a lot of the "echo chambers" out there.

It's not as if the board is so popular that threads are constantly getting pushed off the bottom, there's about a day's worth of posting on the front page.

If you do ban topics then you end up having to try and judge what is and isn't relevant and things will spill over into non-relevant threads. I can't imagine anyone clicked on this topic thinking it was about football, it's easy enough to avoid.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm

I like the political threads. I’ve found them to be genuinely informative and interesting. I’m sure there are people that have contributed to some of the political threads moaning on this one now, certainly liking ClaretTony’s first post, which seems odd. It’s easy to avoid the political threads if you want to. Saying all that I do understand they probably cause needless headaches for the moderators.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:35 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm

If you do ban topics then you end up having to try and judge what is and isn't relevant and things will spill over into non-relevant threads. I can't imagine anyone clicked on this topic thinking it was about football, it's easy enough to avoid.
That's a fair point but if like me you just want to have a quick click on all the threads then it is easy to get sucked into the morass of the point scoring and it just drags you down. I would rather they weren't there to click on.

If they were on a separate part of the board I wouldn't go looking for them.

I have a few people on fac ebook who I like as people but who are so entrenched in party politics (right and left) that I decided to have them hidden
(not literally) so that I am not seeing their mundanes posts regularly. It's the same as religion - you don't want to have other people beliefs rammed down your throat constantly.

A separate place would perhaps be better.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:40 pm

I have started/contributed to the odd political thread, mainly local to Burnley and around the General Election .... their titles tend to explain their subject matter, so it seems easy enough not to read them, if you're not interested. By instinct, I don't like things being " banned ", be it opinions, books, records, films etc ... so it would be a shame, also, for example would a thread on " Boycotting sporting events in Qatar/China/Russia " be political, or about sport ? If we had a thread discussing Morrissey or Bob Geldof, does it get pulled the moment someone says, " Yeh, but his politics stink .. " ?

From what I can grasp, CT has other things to concern him at present, he puts enough time into this Messageboard ... I think we owe it to him to conduct any debate between ourselves with courtesy and respect.

Anyway we're playing Spurs tonight, so let's concentrate on that ... I'd be appalled if anyone suspected I didn't follow the Clarets closely and only came on here for a political argument ..... by the way, does anyone know if Steve Archibald is playing ? ;) ;)
These 3 users liked this post: Guller Bull Paul Waine AndrewJB

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:45 pm

aggi wrote:
The benefit of this board over a lot of other places online is that it brings together a pretty disparate range of posters compared to a lot of the "echo chambers" out there.
My view entirely and one of the reasons I enjoy the board. The fact that people are used to being in their echo chambers seems to me to be one of the reasons people really struggle to cope with a diverse range of opinions different to their own and end up upset and angry

I reduced the majority of my serious posting on the football topics because if you say anything deemed to be negative towards Burnley people were just abusive and unable to accept a different point of view. My outlook became If im gonna get abuse for my genuine opinions I might as well have a bit of fun doing so and save my more serious thoughts for non football related discussions with the people who can debate like adults

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Seems like a bit of an over-reaction. What is the acceptable time window for starting an O/T thread on a match day, and who makes that decision? Why does it matter if there's a game on tonight?

If you've no interest in the thread, don't open it. The thread title is quite easy to understand.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:53 pm

How can racism in football and Black Lives Matter not be a football related topic when Sky are flashing a message on the screen during the coverage of live games every 2/3 minutes? That is in addition to numerous references which will be made by the match commentators.

The same message does not appear flashed up on the TV screen when Sky are showing live Horse Racing or Cricket (thank goodness).

However, I fully understand the frustration of CT with the thread appearing on a match day and the difficulties of monitoring the message board.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Replies to posts that contain personal abuse should have the whole posted deleted and a mods comment “post rejected for comment” placed instead. Folk will soon get sick of wasting their time and either wind their neck in or p1ss off.
Although I do comment on political threads I would have no problem at all if they were banned.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 pm

aggi wrote:
That is exactly the point, worthwhile debates should always be between people with different views. That's how we can all learn.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:45 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:35 pm
That’s just the kind of thing a Lib Dem would say.