Any mechanic's on board - used car advise

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Neilhaj
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Any mechanic's on board - used car advise

Post by Neilhaj » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Hey all

The time has come for me to get myself a new 2nd hand motor and like the look of the Hyundai i30. I've seen one that catches my eye 2015 1.6 crdi diesel however it has done 75k mile but has full service history.
Question: is 75k mileage too high at 5 years old and are Hyundai's reliable?

Thanks

UTC

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Any mechanic's on board - used car advise

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Ask for the DPF soot content to be checked prior to purchase.
It should be very low with that amount of miles, if its full, or close to full then it won't clear itself out under normal driving conditions.
If the content is showing as high then ask them to do a forced DPF regen to ensure that its cleared for you upon collection.

Find out when the timing belt, if fitted, is due because of the mileage, I'm not at work so I can't check that info for you.

Check what the manufacturers warranty is, some have quite a long one to encourage sales, and see if that transfers over to you.

I had one for a weekend and did a thousand miles in it and really liked it.

They're as reliable as anything else tbh, just down to preference nowadays.
This user liked this post: Neilhaj

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Neilhaj wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:44 pm
Hey all

The time has come for me to get myself a new 2nd hand motor and like the look of the Hyundai i30. I've seen one that catches my eye 2015 1.6 crdi diesel however it has done 75k mile but has full service history.
Question: is 75k mileage too high at 5 years old and are Hyundai's reliable?

Thanks

UTC
Give the gents at W18 a ring, they will attempt to source an i30 if that’s what you want. They currently don’t have one in, there is an i35 arriving this week. But if it’s an i30 you want they will try find you one.
This user liked this post: Neilhaj

Neilhaj

Post by Neilhaj » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:58 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 pm
Ask for the DPF soot content to be checked prior to purchase.
It should be very low with that amount of miles, if its full, or close to full then it won't clear itself out under normal driving conditions.
If the content is showing as high then ask them to do a forced DPF regen to ensure that its cleared for you upon collection.

Find out when the timing belt, if fitted, is due because of the mileage, I'm not at work so I can't check that info for you.

Check what the manufacturers warranty is, some have quite a long one to encourage sales, and see if that transfers over to you.

I had one for a weekend and did a thousand miles in it and really liked it.

They're as reliable as anything else tbh, just down to preference nowadays.
Brilliant post and very helpful thanks. It had a 5 year warranty with it which will have just come to an end and when I spoke to the salesman over the phone he said the timing belt has recently been changed (Manu recommend change at 110k or something like that because it's a chain?)

How do I check the DPF soot or can I not do that?

Cheers

Neil

Neilhaj

Post by Neilhaj » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:58 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Give the gents at W18 a ring, they will attempt to source an i30 if that’s what you want. They currently don’t have one in, there is an i35 arriving this week. But if it’s an i30 you want they will try find you one.
Thanks I'll have a look at them

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Neilhaj wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:58 pm
Brilliant post and very helpful thanks. It had a 5 year warranty with it which will have just come to an end and when I spoke to the salesman over the phone he said the timing belt has recently been changed (Manu recommend change at 110k or something like that because it's a chain?)

How do I check the DPF soot or can I not do that?

Cheers

Neil
You can't check the soot content without a diagnostic machine.
It can't have a forced regen without said machine telling it to do one either.

I've just had a look on the INA website on my phone and it is a chain.
They're usually good for anywhere up to 150k on most cars, unless they develop a fault.

Double check what the salesman was referring too, if he's adamant it's had a timing belt changed then he's talking about the wrong thing.

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 pm

If you like the i30 have a look at the Kia Ceed same running gear under the skin but you get 7 yr warranty, they are a little cheaper and in most models a little more equipment.