Dyche......is it time to go

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Re: Dyche......is it time to go

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:12 pm

It's time to think the unthinkable,........................................
Bring back the tinned food count, it's our only hope.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 pm
Yes, I do think any manager who has any brains would know that following Dyche at Burnley would be a poison chalice. It’s not childish to ask for you to provide the names of who you think would be able to follow Dyche at Burnley right now, it’s highlighting that you already know that there aren’t any - and you know you can’t name them for that reason.

And if it isn’t the question - what the hell was the question?
The question was who would want the job. Now if you want me to list the names of everyone who would want to manage Burnley should the opportunity arise, then perhaps you should first list all those that categorically wouldn’t, it would be a far shorter list. For £4m+ a year!!

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Sean Dyche is the best manager in the last 20yrs
Hes been reagly shafted by the chairman and his parsimonious approach to spending
We've had some of our players injured all season
We are slowly getting them back and we played well v Brighton with a defensive master class
We are improving and with Ben back will go from strength to strength UTC

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:26 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pm
Sean Dyche is the best manager in the last 20yrs
Hes been reagly shafted by the chairman and his parsimonious approach to spending
We've had some of our players injured all season
We are slowly getting them back and we played well v Brighton with a defensive master class
We are improving and with Ben back will go from strength to strength UTC
Sorry.
He has not been shafted by our chairman.
There is no transfer money available.
If you want a counter-argument, we've spent too much of our small budget on players that SD has chosen not to use.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:21 pm
The question was who would want the job. Now if you want me to list the names of everyone who would want to manage Burnley should the opportunity arise, then perhaps you should first list all those that categorically wouldn’t, it would be a far shorter list. For £4m+ a year!!
Then answer your own question... but you know you can’t.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Good fishing...... MOV back to his best.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:03 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Genuine question, the football we are watching is crap, 3 goals so for this season, only one goal coming from a forward, next to no shots on target, long ball hoof it in the air football, has he had his day ???? Yes okay up to know he's worked miracles but that's in the past, currently we are fast becoming embarrassing to watch.

I personally think if the results don't turn quickly he should do the right thing and jump himself, the club won't sack him it's to expensive, I can see us not even having ten points at the start of the new year, the football style needs to change or unfortunately the manager does.
Bet you was one of those what wanted Jeff Hendrick out as well

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:15 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Genuine question, the football we are watching is crap, 3 goals so for this season, only one goal coming from a forward, next to no shots on target, long ball hoof it in the air football, has he had his day ???? Yes okay up to know he's worked miracles but that's in the past, currently we are fast becoming embarrassing to watch.

I personally think if the results don't turn quickly he should do the right thing and jump himself, the club won't sack him it's to expensive, I can see us not even having ten points at the start of the new year, the football style needs to change or unfortunately the manager does.
Tactically shocking when it comes to any thing remotely like attacking football. Unfortunately I think SD likes to try and keep hold of the point he has at kickoff In some Ways I wouldn’t mind going m going, then again if we do go down it is very likely that g could get us up again let’s hope we/ he can turn things around
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

Blackburn_Claret
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 267 times

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:23 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Grow up
Who picks the team? Tactics? Gets subs ready and sits them back down ten mins later? I think its the leaders we've had on the pitch in recent seasons that have made the difference and got him lucky! Its time to freshen things up.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm

He’s kept us in allegedly the best league in the World with no money and a bag of magic beans and ‘fans’want to get rid of him - it’s really hard to believe
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Goodclaret

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:29 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm
He’s kept us in allegedly the best league in the World with no money and a bag of magic beans and ‘fans’want to get rid of him - it’s really hard to believe
Where do we get this no money crap from? Spent a fortune on rubbish
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov BOYSIE31

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:29 pm
Who wanted to buy Stephen's? Who sanctioned the million quid? Surely not Sean.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:51 pm

I don't think the original question has much validity in the sense that
I don't believe a new man would make much, if any, difference unless
he brought 2 or 3 players new players in or was allowed to.
In other words allowed to spend a sizeable amount of money.
And even then there would be no guarantees.

Can Dyche keep us up?
Well he's done it before but that's no guarantee he will be able to do it again.
Especially with basically the same group of players he had last time.
I think that would be asking too much - be it of him and/or the players.

We lack pace and creativity across the whole team and Dyche knows that but if we reach January
the club (whoever owns it) may need to bring in fresh blood or resign itself to hoping for another miracle.
Or relegation. And the disintegration of the current team.

So Brady JBG and McNeil will need to start playing some of their best football.
They have some pace and creativity. But it would also require others to do same all at the same time.
It's asking a lot.

Ultimately I think we'll need to find at least 2 players who can come in and make a difference.
If not from day 1 then pretty soonish. Ideally 2 young players who have nothing to lose
but will give their all rather than possibly two aging but experienced pros.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Rather than beat yourself up about all this why don’t you do some actual research about the net spend under Dyche and see if you can find any other club in the Premier League with a lower net spend who have had the success Dyche has had.

It might make you feel better - and also stop you posting utter sh-ite.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:27 pm
You are right I can’t give you a list of managers who would hypothetically want to manage Burnley! Just as you can’t give me a list of those that wouldn’t.

I’m not sure what your point is. Are you saying that no one would want to manage Burnley on a similar salary to Dyche?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 am

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Could you list the rubbish you believe we've signed and the amounts we've paid for them, cheers.

Makes it easier to discuss your point then.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:27 pm
Any manager championship or below would be interested in stepping up to the Premier League.

I suspect a few managers from abroad would also consider it.

Now its your turn.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:15 am

claret54 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Now is the time for all fans to get behind the team and Manager. We know we can get out of this. We've got a good track record over eight years. Back the team back the Manager.
We don't need change we need to build on what we have.
Yes it would have been better if we had had a better attacking performance against Brighton. But it's a good clean sheet.
Time for fans to be counted stand up and get behind the Manager and the team.
Slight problem, the fans can't get behind the team and show their support in the normal fashion.

Brisliam
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Brisliam » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:18 am

I just wish he'd try something different, be that starting 11 or formation just for a few games, because what we're doing isn't working.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 am

If he sees his contact out with us he'll have done 10 years, which is pretty good going these days. A change might be best for both parties by then, it's starting to feel a little stale.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:34 am

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 pm
I know. How dare Dyche say "I think I need some new players who will improve our team so we can be more successful"?

Despicable behaviour from our manager.
At every opportunity :shock:
Sounded like a kid who couldn’t get his own way , this should have been kept behind closed doors

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:58 am

It may be tepid stuff at the moment but how do you get a team back to winning whose confidence looks low? Build from the back, get solid and start picking up points. That'll slowly bring some belief and confidence back. We've seen it before in his time here in The Prem. And he talks about it a lot, it's a full season and odd points like we've picked up recently help the journey towards survival. The time to panic is with a few games to go and we're adrift.
Nice break now to get working on the training ground in prep for a massive game against Palace. I'm confident we'll win that as we should be fired up although they are never an easy opponent and look to be doing well.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:04 am

Dyche’s stubbornness and inability to change his tactics will prevent him getting a job with one if the few larger clubs/jobs. The football is dire but you can put up with it when it yields results. Having said this he has performed wonders for the club over the last few years and it’s not as if we haven’t had these kind of spells before. Garlick should have enabled him to strengthen glaring holes at RW and RB. We might not have loads of surplus cash but I don’t believe we couldn’t strengthen here. If the reports that H Wilson was sanctioned by the chairman but Dyche didn’t want him then maybe both are to blame. Surely signing Stephens was Dyche’s choice but he’s dreadful.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 am

joey13 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:34 am
At every opportunity :shock:
Sounded like a kid who couldn’t get his own way , this should have been kept behind closed doors
I assume that was an indication of how frustrated he is/was. You have to think he got us to 10th last season, he then sees players leave and, for whatever reason, not being able to replace them with the quality he deemed good enough. It was only a short window before the new season started so he had to say how difficult things were. He's never done that before but he knew where we were heading so dug in more than usual. I'm sure he'll have tried the "behind closed doors" route then he gets "certain" fans and reporters begging for new signings and he has to keep saying "my hands are tied". At least he doesn't lie to us.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:24 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:04 am
Dyche’s stubbornness and inability to change his tactics will prevent him getting a job with one if the few larger clubs/jobs. The football is dire but you can put up with it when it yields results. Having said this he has performed wonders for the club over the last few years and it’s not as if we haven’t had these kind of spells before. Garlick should have enabled him to strengthen glaring holes at RW and RB. We might not have loads of surplus cash but I don’t believe we couldn’t strengthen here. If the reports that H Wilson was sanctioned by the chairman but Dyche didn’t want him then maybe both are to blame. Surely signing Stephens was Dyche’s choice but he’s dreadful.
I know Dyche plays a certain way but, on the whole, it's been unbelievably successful so why would he change things when he is so limited with player resources? If he went to Man City do you really think he'd play the same style? He has adapted to a way that has proved to work with our players who, no disrespect of course, aren't world class. He has proved that we can play good, attacking football when we won the Championship but if you expect to be able to play like that in the PL and still stay up then I'm afraid it's not possible.

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:35 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 am
Could you list the rubbish you believe we've signed and the amounts we've paid for them, cheers.

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 am

Jelle Vossen
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Chris Long
Darikwa
Hennings
JBG
Hendricks
Brady
Gibson
Walters
Wells
Lennon
Hart
Vydra - should be a starter but dyche can't seem to manage foreign players. Only gets 10 mins in a team that hasn't scored for nearly 400 mins

None of the above were value for money and I'm sure there's plenty of more poor signings, that I cant think off the top of my head. Brownhill is another who is proving not good enough!
On top of that all the loans we have brought in and never given a chance.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 am

Plenty more names to be honest but I'm not naming names & getting into a debate about the merits of the contributions, it's hardly unique in any club you could easily compile a list of dross from any club that managers previous & present have signed.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:00 am

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:35 am
Jelle Vossen
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Chris Long
Darikwa
Hennings
JBG
Hendricks
Brady
Gibson
Walters
Wells
Lennon
Hart
Vydra - should be a starter but dyche can't seem to manage foreign players. Only gets 10 mins in a team that hasn't scored for nearly 400 mins

None of the above were value for money and I'm sure there's plenty of more poor signings, that I cant think off the top of my head. Brownhill is another who is proving not good enough!
You could literally produce a list like this for every football club in the world.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:00 am

It’s well documented that No other manager has got more from so little - so there is no one better to replace him - simple as that. Despite these terrible buys and the fortunes wasted (!) - we’re still in the Premier League. This is the prime aim so job done. You might not like the style of play but really...who cares if we stay in the league. If you want pretty tippy tappy football then other teams are available

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Jelle Vossen
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Chris Long
Darikwa
Hennings
JBG
Hendricks
Brady
Gibson
Walters
Wells
Lennon
Hart

As already said this applies to every single club. And some on your list seem very odd - JBG and Hendrick in particular. Some seemed good signings at the time and without the benefit of hindsight. Some not but, again, absolutely normal.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:10 am

Brownhill has been a great signing ,hes positive, good passer and a mean tackler, a bargain signing
It's a shame we didn't get the City winger signed at the same time

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 am

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Jelle Vossen
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Chris Long
Darikwa
Hennings
JBG
Hendricks
Brady
Gibson
Walters
Wells
Lennon
Hart

So we didn't get value for money for Hendrick who was a first choice starter for his time here?

Vossen was using us to get to the club he really wanted to sign for, that's clear as day, we didn't lose anything apart from some wages.

Walters - unfortunately suffered a serious injury after years of not having any.

JBG - pretty sure we've had good value for that £1 million we paid for him.

Brady - was looking good until the injuries kicked in, still time for him to recover the form

Darikwa, Long, Lennon and Hart were all cheap signings.

I actually stated on here that Lennon wasn't worth signing but the general consensus then was that I was an idiot and you lot were all right about him...oh how the tables turned.

Hart - take note that he's doing alright at Spurs, I'd suggest he wasn't the main problem when he was here, maybe look at the players in front of him.

Hennings - unlucky to have more prolific players in front of him so never really got much of a chance, but that's how it goes.

Gibson - same situation as Hennings.

Worth noting the battering the board got when we were down to one fit midfielder a few years ago, David Jones, yet when the club ensures we've got an adequate squad they're getting battered now for not getting value for money :roll:

Juke - odd that one, dunno what happened to him here but he managed to go on a scoring run after he left.

Vydra - has shown he can do a job, just needs more game time.

Let's look at who Dyche has signed that's been successful shall we, or doesn't that suit your agenda?

We have a net spend of approx £9 million a season under Dyche as of July this year, so for you to sit there and state we've wasted millions without looking at the bigger picture is amusing.

Out of interest why did you leave Defour off your list?
He barely played, or do you have your sensible head on for him?

Whilst you're at it, name me a manager who hasn't made poor signings, I assume I won't need to wait long will I?
These 3 users liked this post: Goodclaret tiger76 Zlatan

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:53 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm
Good fishing...... MOV back to his best.
132 post.....more a net than a fishing rod :lol:

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:04 pm

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sean-dy ... idden.desc

A list of signings made by Dyche.. some are from his time with Watford aswell remember.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:13 pm

My Manager shopping list

1- Thomas Frank
2- Steve Cooper

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:23 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 am
So we didn't get value for money for Hendrick who was a first choice starter for his time here?

Vossen was using us to get to the club he really wanted to sign for, that's clear as day, we didn't lose anything apart from some wages.

Walters - unfortunately suffered a serious injury after years of not having any.

Brady - was looking good until the injuries kicked in, still time for him to recover the form

I actually stated on here that Lennon wasn't worth signing but the general consensus then was that I was an idiot and you lot were all right about him...oh how the tables turned.

Hart - take note that he's doing alright at Spurs, I'd suggest he wasn't the main problem when he was here, maybe look at the players in front of him.

Hennings - unlucky to have more prolific players in front of him so never really got much of a chance, but that's how it goes.

Worth noting the battering the board got when we were down to one fit midfielder a few years ago, David Jones, yet when the club ensures we've got an adequate squad they're getting battered now for not getting value for money :roll:

Juke - odd that one, dunno what happened to him here but he managed to go on a scoring run after he left.

Let's look at who Dyche has signed that's been successful shall we, or doesn't that suit your agenda?

We have a net spend of approx £9 million a season under Dyche as of July this year, so for you to sit there and state we've wasted millions without looking at the bigger picture is amusing.

Whilst you're at it, name me a manager who hasn't made poor signings, I assume I won't need to wait long will I?
I agree with every word, God ...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:23 pm

3. Brent Peters

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:27 pm

4. Brian Laws

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Given the lack of investment over the last few windows, Garlick is clearly just happy to keep his head down and certainly won't make any changes at management level by himself for fear of the obvious public retribution he will have to deal with
If a takeover happens then any new owners will have that decision to make
A difficult question but one to ponder - would you rather have investment and a new manager or Dyche - if they were the only two scenarios

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:42 pm

If we ran a poll with all 92 League Managers saying who has been the biggest over achiever in the PL during the last 4-5 years I would not be surprised to see SD first or second for the great majority of votes. Evidenced by two promotions and five continuous years in the PL with barely no budget. Plus since his time with us we have seen 6 players who played for him go on and represent England

Managers like SD dont grow on treesf

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:14 am

Add defour to the list i said off the top of my head, forgot he even played for us! Hart cheap?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 pm
Add defour to the list i said off the top of my head, forgot he even played for us! Hart cheap?
Yeah of course you'd forget the finest midfielder seen at the club for years...

Hart was cheap, if you put your brain in gear.

Blackburn_Claret

Post by Blackburn_Claret » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:59 pm
Yeah of course you'd forget the finest midfielder seen at the club for years...

Hart was cheap, if you put your brain in gear.
Finest midfielder?? You're having a laugh. Barton was better.

How was Hart cheap? Explain

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Blackburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Finest midfielder?? You're having a laugh. Barton was better.

How was Hart cheap? Explain
Ability wise Defour was ahead of Barton.

Barton was a better combative midfielder and stayed fit etc

Hart 3.5 million plus wages is Cheap

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:43 pm

I wouldn't say a 2nd choice keeper on 40/50 grand a week is cheap, certainly not on our budget. It was definitely money that could have been put to better use.
This user liked this post: Blackburn_Claret

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Unfortunately it's going to be Dyche's big money signings, which will stop him getting a 'bigger' job in the PL.

Brady, Hendrick and Gibson being a cumulative approx £40m between em have been, in the main, nowhere near value for money. Even Vyds, whilst successful when he does get a game, is a big money signing that Dyche has only called upon when forced.

Of course, for each of these there has been an Arfield or a Heaton, even Wood who's been good at £15m, but unfortunately the track record doesn't lend to handing him a huge budget.

Is it time to get rid, though? Behave.

Barton being better than Defour is pure comedy, mind.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:54 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:13 pm
My Manager shopping list

1- Thomas Frank
2- Steve Cooper
Fair enough at least you've named some names.

Thomas Frank: he's undoubtedly done a good job at Brentford, however they should have got promoted last season, and they blew it in both the regular season, and the PO final, the jury is still out on him yet, until he actually gets Brentford promoted, they'll be a nagging doubt amongst PL clubs whether to take the plunge, that said we could do a lot worse than him should we need to replace SD.

Steve Cooper would definitely interest me, although whether he could implement his philosophy on our current squad I have grave doubts, so if we opted for him we'd probably require a high turnover in our playing squad, now that might not be a bad thing in itself, however it'd depend how quickly both the manager and players settled into their new surroundings, and built up an understanding of what each wants.

This critique of his coaching style from wiki piqued my curiosity.

Cooper likes his teams to play with "good organisation and structure". He prefers his teams to control the game by being brave on the ball and confident when passing. Cooper coaches his teams to have tactical discipline; defensively, he prefers his players to regain possession through composure and aggression.

Cooper cites former Barcelona B coach José Segura as his main influence; the pair worked together at Liverpool's academy. Tactically, Cooper likes to deploy a 4–2–3–1 with two holding midfielders and attacking wing-backs. He has also used a 5–3–2 or 3–5–2 formation to ensure greater defensive stability and more flexibility in attack.

My worry is that we don't have the players that possess the technical ability, or the athleticism to carry out such a game plan, there is echoes of Chris Wilder's blueprint when Sheff Utd came up last season their wing-backs bombed forward, but they had the legs to make this strategy successful, if we're going down that route fine, but we'd need a more younger mobile squad to carry it out effectively.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:55 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:43 pm
I wouldn't say a 2nd choice keeper on 40/50 grand a week is cheap, certainly not on our budget. It was definitely money that could have been put to better use.
Pope was injured, Heaton still recovering.

If we hadn't signed a more experienced keeper this place would've been amusing.

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:58 pm

yes

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:03 pm

No, it's time to pull together.